PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota head coach directly acknowledges NDSU in Minneapolis StarTribune article

MplsBison
September 26th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Nothing major here, just thought it was interesting. http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/225287672.html

Kill is convinced Lauer would have been recruited by schools all over the country had he not suffered a season-ending knee injury as a junior at Wayzata.“That kid usually ends up at North Dakota State,” Kill said. “That’s why North Dakota State’s been winning is they’ve gotten those types of kids, and they recruited [Lauer]. We were fortunate enough to get him to our school.”

His comment makes me wonder if NDSU offered Lauer but he choose a preferred walk-on at Minnesota instead.

I don't think there's ever been a case and probably never will be a case where NDSU beat Minnesota head-to-head when both schools offered a kid that grew up in the Cities.

Twentysix
September 26th, 2013, 08:29 AM
NDSU will never offer a more respected academic degree than Minnesota. Though, I'm not sure exactly how much that matters to a high school kid. There will likely be a point and time when NDSU and UM are both FBS and NDSU beats UM for "football recruits".

BisonBacker
September 26th, 2013, 09:46 AM
NDSU will never offer a more respected academic degree than Minnesota. Though, I'm not sure exactly how much that matters to a high school kid. There will likely be a point and time when NDSU and UM are both FBS and NDSU beats UM for "football recruits".

Given the current landscape and what the Big5 are trying to do as much as I would like this statement to be true I'm not holding my breath.

Professor Chaos
September 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Kill has a lot of respect for Bohl and NDSU. This article from last week shows this: http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/224503771.html

Last offseason, Kill invited the NDSU staff to Minneapolis to see what the Gophers’ staff could learn.

“I think they do as good of a job coaching as anybody in the country, no matter what level it is. They’re good,” Kill said.

A lot of FBS coaches would turn their noses up at "learning" from an FCS coaching staff but Kill isn't one of those guys.

Laker
September 26th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Kill has a lot of respect for Bohl and NDSU. This article from last week shows this: http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/224503771.html

A lot of FBS coaches would turn their noses up at "learning" from an FCS coaching staff but Kill isn't one of those guys.

Another reason why I like Kill. We can all learn something from someone else. I really appreciated it when I was a grad assistant at MSU-Mankato and my history professor boss sat me down and asked me how to talk to high school kids since he had always taught at the college level. I don't know if he got anything out of it but it made me feel good and increased my respect for him.

I still think that Jim Souhan should be covered in Preparation H so he would disappear.

Houndawg
September 26th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Another reason why I like Kill. We can all learn something from someone else. I really appreciated it when I was a grad assistant at MSU-Mankato and my history professor boss sat me down and asked me how to talk to high school kids since he had always taught at the college level. I don't know if he got anything out of it but it made me feel good and increased my respect for him.

I still think that Jim Souhan should be covered in Preparation H so he would disappear.

He'll eat steak every night in Southern Illinois. He's still active in the Coach Kill Cancer Fund he started while here.