PDA

View Full Version : Are Furman and UNCG headed to the CAA

GSU Eagle
September 25th, 2013, 09:09 AM
it is being said on various Colonial sites that Furman and UNCG are on their way to the Colonial. Furman people--- Have you heard anything about this? Is it true?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 25th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Those CAA folks thought App. might join the CAA. Some message boards generally get more credible rumors than others. I would take anything you read on CAA zone with a big grain of salt.

fc97
September 25th, 2013, 09:20 AM
both were published in foia releases and newspapers. there is nothing new here.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2013, 09:30 AM
I'm no insider, but I can also tell you that I've heard nothing of the sort.

Dane96
September 25th, 2013, 09:38 AM
It isn't Furman AND UNCG....it's one or the other AND Albany, so the rumor mill goes on the Colonial boards.

At the UA game, we were told that UA may announce after the America East Tourney in March that we are hosting.

I still have my doubts that we leave the AE without Stony Brook...

walliver
September 25th, 2013, 09:56 AM
There have been rumors of FU leaving for the CAA for the last 15 years.

What I find interesting is that somehow FU and UNC-G are looked at as being interchangeablexconfusedx.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2013, 10:32 AM
There have been rumors of FU leaving for the CAA for the last 15 years.

What I find interesting is that somehow FU and UNC-G are looked at as being interchangeablexconfusedx.

I can safely say Furman has not the slightest interest in what UNCG does. In fact, I'd assume they would be happy for the CAA to take them.

T-Dog
September 25th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Wouldn't surprise me about UNCG. They are the last non-football school in the SoCon. However, their coffers have been dry since moving to the Coliseum.

Sandlapper Spike
September 25th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I have my doubts about UNCG and the CAA (it's possible, I guess), but the Furman rumor is ridiculous.

In general, the SoCon is now positioned to either stay with the 10-team setup it will have for 2014-15 or expand if an opportunity (or more) arises.

URMite
September 25th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Maybe the CAA takes UNCG and the CAA basketball Tournament moves to the Coliseum?

superman7515
September 25th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Maybe we send UNCW to the SoCon for Furman. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

CID1990
September 25th, 2013, 12:01 PM
This crap gets floated about Furman all the time. It is what it is- crap. Furman, Wofford, and The Citadel arent going anywhere. None of these three schools are going to join a conference that involves yearly air travel. Period.

superman7515
September 25th, 2013, 12:04 PM
This crap gets floated about Furman all the time. It is what it is- crap. Furman, Wofford, and The Citadel arent going anywhere. None of these three schools are going to join a conference that involves yearly air travel. Period.

Then how about we send UNCW and you send up a case of Colt .45 and we call it even.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 25th, 2013, 12:11 PM

I agree with this 100%. Furthermore, these three schools pretty much get whatever they ask for from the conference including recommendations for their Wine & Cheese pre-game socials while they watch the Gamecocks and/or Tigers play "real" football. So glad I'm done dealing with these pretentious snobs.

OL FU
September 25th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I agree with this 100%. Furthermore, these three schools pretty much get whatever they ask for from the conference including recommendations for their Wine & Cheese pre-game socials while they watch the Gamecocks and/or Tigers play "real" football. So glad I'm done dealing with these pretentious snobs.

FU ( Seriously).

CID1990
September 25th, 2013, 12:18 PM

You're welcome.

I seem to recall GSU being very hyped about joining all those pretentious snobs not too long ago.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Had some conversations recently with several in the Furman circles that are not sad to see some of these bigger state directional schools take a hike, either.

walliver
September 25th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Then how about we send UNCW and you send up a case of Colt .45 and we call it even.

UNCW might get you a six-pack, but a whole case is just way too much.

OL FU
September 25th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Had some conversations recently with several in the Furman circles that are not sad to see some of these bigger state directional schools take a hike, either.

The really amazing thing about Cliff's comment was that he seemed to forget how many GSU alums are UGA fansxsmugx

dbackjon
September 25th, 2013, 01:00 PM
The really amazing thing about Cliff's comment was that he seemed to forget how many GSU alums are UGA fansxsmugx

Not surprising

Mr. C
September 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. Oh wait, I think you are being both pot and kettle here. You are the kind of fan that gives your school a bad name.

For what it's worth, there doesn't seem to be ANYTHING happening on the expansion front in the CAA currently (gleaned this from some "highly placed sources" on Saturday, I'll it to everyone's imagination as to who). I can tell you that the folks in the CAA office get pretty weary of all of these rumors.

FCSfan
September 25th, 2013, 02:27 PM
harsh words mr. cliff....little bitter that the last two contests against those dog snobs were losses?
if they weren't playing REAL football in winning then what were your eagles playing?
sad.....

Tribal
September 25th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Those CAA folks thought App. might join the CAA. Some message boards generally get more credible rumors than others. I would take anything you read on CAA zone with a big grain of salt.

Actually, what "those CAA folks" said was the CAA and Appy talked about it. That is a fact as Shades of 48 made public the paper trail that showed these discussions.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2013, 06:29 PM
UNCG to pair with Elon sounds right. UNCW stays paired with C of C.

SoCon goes to 10 football schools.

danefan
September 25th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. Oh wait, I think you are being both pot and kettle here. You are the kind of fan that gives your school a bad name.

For what it's worth, there doesn't seem to be ANYTHING happening on the expansion front in the CAA currently (gleaned this from some "highly placed sources" on Saturday, I'll it to everyone's imagination as to who). I can tell you that the folks in the CAA office get pretty weary of all of these rumors.

No doubt.
The real question is what was already agreed upon months before the CAA's trip to Philly.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2013, 07:34 PM
So much for Delaware's all sports utopia.

Down to basically Delaware, Towson, JMU and W&M for the all sports conference. Then you have southern schools Elon, UNCG, UNCW and Charleston, mostly non-football (does Elon count?), along with other non-football NE, Hofstra and Drexel.

Guessing that's not what UD had in mind when it betrayed the America East. Reap what you sow, I guess.

Now what we need is:

- America East football to start (sucking out Albany, Stony Brook, Maine and New Hampshire)
- JMU to move football only or all sports to an FBS conference
- then W&M and Richmond move football only to the SoCon or Patriot League

:)

mainejeff
September 25th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Does the CAA continue to be an attractive all-sports option for infinity no matter who leaves or joins.........or does all of this shifting eventually catch up with them?

It seems like the CAA has been adding and subtracting schools for 15 years........I'm not sure what is so attractive about this train wreck......???

MplsBison
September 25th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Does the CAA continue to be an attractive all-sports option for infinity no matter who leaves or joins.........or does all of this shifting eventually catch up with them?

It seems like the CAA has been adding and subtracting schools for 15 years........I'm not sure what is so attractive about this train wreck......???

Absolutely. Delaware is not some major anchor that TV networks are going to hang a hat on all by themselves.

America East has the strongest contingent of football teams in the conference now. Might be well time to think about AE football, if you can find another couple teams to join up. Not sure if any current non-football AE schools would ever start the sport (Hartford, UM Baltimore, Vermont, Binghampton, Lowell), or maybe you could get NEC team to move over (CCSU?) or get a team from the NE-10 to move up (SCSU? LIU Post?).

CID1990
September 25th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Addendum to my comments about Furman going to the CAA being a load of crap:

I would love to see UNCG go to the CAA.

hypercycloid
September 26th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Addendum to my comments about Furman going to the CAA being a load of crap:

I would love to see UNCG go to the CAA.

I agree.

Furman (and The Citadel) have been in the SoCon since 1936. They're not going anywhere.

Waco Kid
September 26th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Furman isn't going anywhere because they along with El Cid run the show in the SoCon. UNCG on the other hand has always been a little bit of an oddball for the conference, and now that they are the only non-football school left they really don't fit in. With JMU leaving (it's only a matter of time) UNCG would be a good fill in for all sports. They would also help travel for UNCW, CofC, and Elon. The SoCon doesn't really need a 10th school anyways.

CID1990
September 26th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Furman isn't going anywhere because they along with El Cid run the show in the SoCon. UNCG on the other hand has always been a little bit of an oddball for the conference, and now that they are the only non-football school left they really don't fit in. With JMU leaving (it's only a matter of time) UNCG would be a good fill in for all sports. They would also help travel for UNCW, CofC, and Elon. The SoCon doesn't really need a 10th school that doesnt play football.

FIFY

AshevilleApp2
September 26th, 2013, 02:59 PM

If nothing else, you are consistent.

An a@#hole, but a consistent a@#hole.

SU_IT_able
September 26th, 2013, 03:17 PM
A nine team conference seems perfect...if all the schools participate in each of the major sports. Eight conference FB games, a 16 game home & home schedule in basketball. Chatty would need to step up & field a baseball team. Every school would now have a better chance (in theory) of getting to the NCAA tournament. I really don't see a downside to holding pat at nine in the unlikely event there is actually something to the rumor.

UAalum72
September 26th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Not sure if any current non-football AE schools would ever start the sport (Hartford, UM Baltimore, Vermont, Binghampton, Lowell), or maybe you could get NEC team to move over (CCSU?) or get a team from the NE-10 to move up (SCSU? LIU Post?).

Never heard any talk of Binghamton ( no 'p' ) or Hartford starting football. I've seen a statement on the Vermont club football site that specifically said it was NOT a precursor to a return to UVM varsity football. Lowell just dropped football a few years ago. UMBC actually turned down an offer from the Ravens to build football facilities for a training camp. CW Post probably has internal political problems with gaining equal athletic status with LIU-Brooklyn. CCSU would be good but there's the problem of leaving their all-sport conference football league for an outside league, and they'd probably oppose Southern gaining equal status with them, even if SCSU is interested.

Sitting Bull
September 26th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Absolutely. Delaware is not some major anchor that TV networks are going to hang a hat on all by themselves.America East has the strongest contingent of football teams in the conference now. Might be well time to think about AE football, if you can find another couple teams to join up. Not sure if any current non-football AE schools would ever start the sport (Hartford, UM Baltimore, Vermont, Binghampton, Lowell), or maybe you could get NEC team to move over (CCSU?) or get a team from the NE-10 to move up (SCSU? LIU Post?).Yikes. That's the AE expansion plan and the CAA is referred as the train wreck?As far as "strongest contingent" of football programs, where do you get that? Towson, Villanova and UR are all among the CAA projected favorites. Your AE "contingent" consists of SBU, UAlbany, Maine and UNH - some competitive teams but hardly the core of strength in CAA football.I think Furman is a long shot. Their entry would take a huge strategy shift from their administration. The choice would be remaining in a watered down So Con (like the CAA, their big names have all bolted as well, especially in football while the CAA's big losses were basketbajll) - or would they want to yes, upgrade, to an all sports conference that would place them in a larger regional conference that offers a higher profile in all the key sports.It was easier to see why Davidson, Charleston and Elon moved - they all wanted a higher profile home for sports AND a chance to expose their name up the eastern seaboard for students. I just don't think Furman has the same strategy though I would bet they are at least thinking about it.As far as CAA potential expansion, I also wonder what URI may think when (not if) UMass leaves the A10. With most of the A10's other power teams gone or looking to leave, the CAA may be a logical and preferable home for all their sports, not just football.

MplsBison
September 26th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Yikes. That's the AE expansion plan and the CAA is referred as the train wreck?As far as "strongest contingent" of football programs, where do you get that? Towson, Villanova and UR are all among the CAA projected favorites. Your AE "contingent" consists of SBU, UAlbany, Maine and UNH - some competitive teams but hardly the core of strength in CAA football.I think Furman is a long shot. Their entry would take a huge strategy shift from their administration. The choice would be remaining in a watered down So Con (like the CAA, their big names have all bolted as well, especially in football while the CAA's big losses were basketbajll) - or would they want to yes, upgrade, to an all sports conference that would place them in a larger regional conference that offers a higher profile in all the key sports.It was easier to see why Davidson, Charleston and Elon moved - they all wanted a higher profile home for sports AND a chance to expose their name up the eastern seaboard for students. I just don't think Furman has the same strategy though I would bet they are at least thinking about it.As far as CAA potential expansion, I also wonder what URI may think when (not if) UMass leaves the A10. With most of the A10's other power teams gone or looking to leave, the CAA may be a logical and preferable home for all their sports, not just football.

You think I'm out of touch, yet you propose Richmond and Furman joining the CAA in all sports?

As others have noted, Furman joined the SoCon in 1936 and has never left. They sure as heck aren't leaving for some yankee conference out of Virginia, especially not when arguably the strongest football *programs* - note I said program, not team - JMU and Delaware could leave for an FBS invitation.

Richmond on the other hand was a founding member of both the ECAC South and the CAA, but left for the A10. No matter what, the A10 will always be a stronger basketball brand than the CAA. Hence why VCU and George Mason left for the A10. Hence why none of those three teams are coming back to the CAA. They'd take CAA teams to stabalize the A10 first.

With St Louis and Dayton probably getting the call up to the Big East and if what you say about UMass materializes, that leaves the A10 with 10 members and five sets of pretty decent travel partners: Duq-StB, RI-Ford, StJoe-LaS, GM-GW, VCU-Rich.

I suppose UMass could earn all sports invites to the AAC if Navy reneges on its football only commitment. That would give the AAC 12 teams: UMass-UConn, Temple-ECU, Cincy-Memphis, Tulsa-SMU, Houston-Tulane, UCF-USF.

And that leaves the CAA where it is now at 10 teams: NE-Hofstra, Drexel-Delaware, JMU-W&M, UNCW-CofC, Towson-Elon. The last pair is obviously pretty awkward. The solution would be to add UNCG for Elon and then expect JMU or Delaware to leave, allowing Towson to pair with W&M or Drexel.

Sitting Bull
September 26th, 2013, 07:26 PM
You think I'm out of touch, yet you propose Richmond and Furman joining the CAA in all sports?

As others have noted, Furman joined the SoCon in 1936 and has never left. They sure as heck aren't leaving for some yankee conference out of Virginia, especially not when arguably the strongest football *programs* - note I said program, not team - JMU and Delaware could leave for an FBS invitation.

Richmond on the other hand was a founding member of both the ECAC South and the CAA, but left for the A10. No matter what, the A10 will always be a stronger basketball brand than the CAA. Hence why VCU and George Mason left for the A10. Hence why none of those three teams are coming back to the CAA. They'd take CAA teams to stabalize the A10 first.

With St Louis and Dayton probably getting the call up to the Big East and if what you say about UMass materializes, that leaves the A10 with 10 members and five sets of pretty decent travel partners: Duq-StB, RI-Ford, StJoe-LaS, GM-GW, VCU-Rich.

I suppose UMass could earn all sports invites to the AAC if Navy reneges on its football only commitment. That would give the AAC 12 teams: UMass-UConn, Temple-ECU, Cincy-Memphis, Tulsa-SMU, Houston-Tulane, UCF-USF.

And that leaves the CAA where it is now at 10 teams: NE-Hofstra, Drexel-Delaware, JMU-W&M, UNCW-CofC, Towson-Elon. The last pair is obviously pretty awkward. The solution would be to add UNCG for Elon and then expect JMU or Delaware to leave, allowing Towson to pair with W&M or Drexel.

You need to pay more attention when you read. I never mentioned Richmond joining the CAA for all sports and I am agreeing Furman is a long shot. My comment was about Rhode Island (we refer to them as URI). Also a stretch I would say but if UMass leaves the A10, they become the only New England school there and one of the few public schools.

superman7515
September 26th, 2013, 07:53 PM
And that leaves the CAA where it is now at 10 teams: NE-Hofstra, Drexel-Delaware, JMU-W&M, UNCW-CofC, Towson-Elon. The last pair is obviously pretty awkward.

Towson-Elon is no worse than Temple-ECU (352 miles vs 416 miles).

appsfan
September 26th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Furman isn't going anywhere because they along with El Cid run the show in the SoCon. UNCG on the other hand has always been a little bit of an oddball for the conference, and now that they are the only non-football school left they really don't fit in. With JMU leaving (it's only a matter of time) UNCG would be a good fill in for all sports. They would also help travel for UNCW, CofC, and Elon. The SoCon doesn't really need a 10th school anyways.
In the late 90s, UNCG was hoping for a CAA invite prior to joining the SoCon. Giving the current thinking there, the CAA would be a better fit with their self image...

WestCoastAggie
September 26th, 2013, 10:29 PM
The ACC has a stranglehold on the GSO Colliseum so UNCG to the CAA wouldn't bring the tourney to the Triad.

ASUMountaineer
September 27th, 2013, 07:24 AM
The ACC has a stranglehold on the GSO Colliseum so UNCG to the CAA wouldn't bring the tourney to the Triad.

If the ACC does start holding it's tourney at MSG, isn't there an opportunity? The SoCon has held it there before, granted it has been a while (1998 maybe?). It may not be too big of a stretch to think that the Greensboro Coliseum would scoff at the extra revenue.

fc97
September 27th, 2013, 07:51 AM
greensboro coliseum needs revenue. if the caa tournament doesn't fall when the acc women's tournament does, you can bet the coliseum would jump at it.

superman7515
September 27th, 2013, 08:23 AM
The CAA would have no interest, they are trying to move the tournament farther north and to bigger population centers, hence the bids from Baltimore, Philly, etc.

WestCoastAggie
September 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Another thing is if the CAA is looking at UNCG, they have to be looking at A&T. A&T Is bringing in sports that are in line with the CAA and the SoCon by 2020. Swimming is being cut for those new sports (Men's Tennis and Men's and Women's Golf & soccer) but it may return by 2020.

A&T's athletic department is looking quite healthy and if the NC state house allows A&T to have up to a 30% out of state student population, enrollment will exceed 15,000 by 2020. The Aggies would have a budget to compete well in the CAA then.

CID1990
September 27th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Another thing is if the CAA is looking at UNCG, they have to be looking at A&T. A&T Is bringing in sports that are in line with the CAA and the SoCon by 2020. Swimming is being cut for those new sports (Men's Tennis and Men's and Women's Golf) but it may return by 2020.

A&T's athletic department is looking quite healthy and if the NC state house allows A&T to have up to a 30% out of state student population, enrollment will exceed 15,000 by 2020. The Aggies would have a budget to compete well in the CAA.

I would like to see one of the big conferences like the CAA or the SoCon bring in a HBCU. For a while I was hoping the SoCon would give SCSU a look, but they have taken a nosedive with their financial woes in recent years.

State Line Liquors
September 27th, 2013, 09:46 AM
The Aggies would have a budget to compete well in the CAA.

Where does their budget sit in relation to the members of the CAA? How much is A&T spending on their athletic department? It looks like they only sponsor 5 men's sports teams.

Dane96
September 27th, 2013, 10:05 AM
According to the latest data, they spend less than 8 million dollars on athletics.

Albany spends $14.7 million (will be increasingto around $16.2 million after this year with football aid increasing, plus Title IX matching). Stony Brook spends $19.95 million. Fairfield spends $16.4 million. Furman spends $20 million. UNC-Greensboro spends $10.5 million.

Both NC AT&T and Greeensboro would have to significantly increase the spending to even be remotely competitive in the CAA.

WestCoastAggie
September 27th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Where does their budget sit in relation to the members of the CAA? How much is A&T spending on their athletic department? It looks like they only sponsor 5 men's sports teams.

our AD is working very hard to get the budget over $10 Million and it should be this year or in '14. Our football team should have a money game against UNC in '14 and our APR penalties will be over a year behind us. As our student population grows with the influx of out of state students, our budget should be Well over $15 million by 2020.

A budget around $15 million in 2020 would be sufficient for A&T in any Conference.

Dane96
September 27th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Not to be an arse, but a budget over $15 million would be by far the smallest in the CAA. Albany's reluctance to move last year wasn't only about us hosting the AE Tourney (money maker) in March of 2014. It was because we have to increase our budget to at least $19-20 million to be somewhat competitive in the CAA...more likely to around $23 million. And that's now...not six years from now.

The CAA is a big spending league...and while many don't agree with MaineJeff he is right about this: some schools would think twice at spending mid-20 million dollar athletic costs for a one or maybe two bid league.

Dane96
September 27th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Spending in the CAA:

JMU- $34.59 million
UD- $25.558 million
Towson- $22.88 million
NU- $22.75 million
W&M- $19.43 million
Hofstra- $19.26 million
Elon- $18.43
Drexel- $18.12 million
CofC- $13.94 million
UNCW- $11.75 million

Potential Adds:

Furman- $20 million
SBU- $19.95 million
Fairfield - $16.4 million
Albany spends $16.2 million
UNCG- $10.5 million
NC AT&T- $7.9 million

Bold are decidedly low compared to the league average spending of $20.67 million dollars.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Spending in the CAA:

JMU- $34.59 million
UD- $25.558 million
Towson- $22.88 million
NU- $22.75 million
W&M- $19.43 million
Hofstra- $19.26 million
Elon- $18.43
Drexel- $18.12 million
CofC- $13.94 million
UNCW- $11.75 million

Potential Adds:

Furman- $20 million
SBU- $19.95 million
Fairfield - $16.4 million
Albany spends $16.2 million
UNCG- $10.5 million
NC AT&T- $7.9 million

Bold are decidedly low compared to the league average spending of $20.67 million dollars.

Some of that is probably cost of attendance though.

More money doesn't always mean they are doing important things.

Furman is 50k+ per scholly per year, where as that same scholarship is like 15k at NC A&T.

200 scholarships for Furman is more than 10 million dollars, 200 scholarships for NC A&T is more like 3 million dollars.

Dane96
September 27th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Albany and SBU same as AT&T range for cost of attendance. Prob same for all the state schools in the CAA (round about).

Bottom line: Their is a massive differential with facilities, etc. Albany's got nice overall facilities...but we'd need some serious improvements to recruit well. Same with staff salaries, etc. SBU is currently making some improvements but they have even more ahead of them.

The CAA is basically like a low spending FBS conference/

Twentysix
September 27th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Albany and SBU same as AT&T range for cost of attendance. Prob same for all the state schools in the CAA (round about).

Bottom line: Their is a massive differential with facilities, etc. Albany's got nice overall facilities...but we'd need some serious improvements to recruit well. Same with staff salaries, etc. SBU is currently making some improvements but they have even more ahead of them.

The CAA is basically like a low spending FBS conference/

Albany looks like it's considerably more expensive than A&T.

20k in just tuition for an out of state scholly. (considerably cheaper than Furman)

SUNY-Albany quotes 31k for tuition room and board, A&T quotes under 15k.

http://www.albany.edu/studentaccounts/AY_13-14_UG_RATES_.pdf

http://www.ncat.edu/admissions/financial-aid/pdf/2013-2014/ug-non-resident-budget1314.pdf

look for yourself.

Albany's football schollies (63) would cost about 2 million. A&T's (63) would cost 900,000.

A comparison would be A&T's 63 scholarships for football versus Yales 63 scholarships for football, they would cost Yale (Yale says their CoA is $58,600) almost 4 million dollars for the hypothetical scholarship team. But A&T at 900k would be getting the same thing as Yale, when yale is paying 4x as much. Cost of attendance matters in these figures.

Dane96
September 27th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Ahhh...I thought you meant In-State was 15k.

Most important...schools account for monies in different ways (discussed ad nauseam on this board). An EOP ride at Albany is a different value than a full-scholly...though they are actually covering the same 1-1 seat ratio; this is because the State funds that money from a different stream.

rokamortis
September 27th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I know Coastal isn't part of the current discussion - I know we aren't a preferred candidate but one that has been discussed in the past so I thought I'd put our name out there. We have demonstrated a commitment to athletics and currently spend nearly $20 million in athletics now. I'm hoping we'll see an increase in donations overall - a major one we just announced is a $5 million gift to athletics that will provide artificial turf, support athletics, and establish endowed scholarships. Our stadium is nice and if we keep winning we should be able to expand in the near future.

We had a bit of a lull in football the past few years but with a new coach a new energy has been given to the team. We have national caliber men's soccer, baseball, and golf. We need to improve both basketball teams.

I know people harp on us over academics but they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. We have established our first PhD program and I think things will keep improving.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Wowsers...it went up significantly in the past year. It was not that much last year...

I am not trying to say A&T is at the same level as JMU or Albany or whatever. I really have absolutely no idea.

What I am saying is that pure budget numbers are horribly misleading because Tuition is really really really different at each school.

Sandlapper Spike
September 27th, 2013, 11:35 AM
45% of Furman's expenses for athletics was tied into athletic-related student aid. That same figure for North Carolina A&T's budget was 31.6%.

That's a significant difference, of course, but you're still talking about an overall budget differential of almost 3-to-1. One category example: Furman spent $2.32 million on coaching salaries, as compared to $1.67 million for A&T.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2013, 11:38 AM
45% of Furman's expenses for athletics was tied into athletic-related student aid. That same figure for North Carolina A&T's budget was 31.6%.

That's a significant difference, of course, but you're still talking about an overall budget differential of almost 3-to-1. One category example: Furman spent $2.32 million on coaching salaries, as compared to $1.67 million for A&T.

Furman also has 20 varsity sports versus NC A&T's 13.

Variables.

Again, I'm not saying these are equal programs. Just that raw numbers are horribly misleading.

A member of the Southern Conference for most sports, we have 20 varsity programs at Furman — 10 teams for women and 10 for men.

North Carolina A&T fields varsity teams in 13 sports, 5 for men and 8 for women.

If one were to take out the aid portion of the Athletic budget (using your numbers .45 and .3) and then divide the remaining amount by the number of sports, the average sport would be funded around 550k for furman and 440k for NC A&T. Different, but not that huge.

Certainly a hell of a lot more similar (god that sounds akward) than when you look at numbers like 20 million and 7 million.

Still, I'm not saying they are equal or even close to equal programs. I am just saying that numbers are misleading.

Dane96
September 27th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I am not trying to say A&T is at the same level as JMU or Albany or whatever. I really have absolutely no idea.

What I am saying is that pure budget numbers are horribly misleading because Tuition is really really really different at each school.

Yep agreed, which is what I wrote in my revised answer :) You must have answered at the same time before seeing my revision.

State Line Liquors
September 27th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Lets end the NCAT discussion here: they offer 5 men's sports, which is not enough.

LeadBolt
September 27th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I've never quite understood the attraction of UNC-G for the CAA, although from my point of view W&M's traditional opponents left from most of its time in SOCON, Furman and The Citadel are attractive to my way of thinking as adds to CAA in all sports. It is my understanding that they aren't interested in the CAA, and I understand why they wouldn't be.

While I really like the Greensboro Coliseum as a venue for basketball, that's not the way the current conference is oriented.

I would think that Hampton or Norfolk State would be more attractive adds to the CAA from the HBCU ranks than NCAT. Just my two cents.

OL FU
September 27th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Furman also has 20 varsity sports versus NC A&T's 13.

Variables.

Again, I'm not saying these are equal programs. Just that raw numbers are horribly misleading.

If one were to take out the aid portion of the Athletic budget (using your numbers .45 and .3) and then divide the remaining amount by the number of sports, the average sport would be funded around 550k for furman and 440k for NC A&T. Different, but not that huge.

Certainly a hell of a lot more similar (god that sounds akward) than when you look at numbers like 20 million and 7 million.

Still, I'm not saying they are equal or even close to equal programs. I am just saying that numbers are misleading.

This is more for clarification purposes than disagreeing. While the per sports expenditures are not that far apart, the number of sports funded makes the programs very much not similar.

CID1990
September 27th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I've never quite understood the attraction of UNC-G for the CAA, although from my point of view W&M's traditional opponents left from most of its time in SOCON, Furman and The Citadel are attractive to my way of thinking as adds to CAA in all sports. It is my understanding that they aren't interested in the CAA, and I understand why they wouldn't be.

While I really like the Greensboro Coliseum as a venue for basketball, that's not the way the current conference is oriented.

I would think that Hampton or Norfolk State would be more attractive adds to the CAA from the HBCU ranks than NCAT. Just my two cents.

We will poach you guys back to the SoCon where you belong (and bring Richmond with you) long before we ever go to the CAA.

LeadBolt
September 27th, 2013, 06:21 PM
We will poach you guys back to the SoCon where you belong (and bring Richmond with you) long before we ever go to the CAA.

That would work for me. We were in SOCON when I was @ W&M.

WestCoastAggie
October 20th, 2013, 07:12 AM
I just wanted to bring this back to the forefront. I just got word that A&T's athletic budget is north of $10 million this current FY.