PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry Week! Jags vs. Tigers

813Jag
September 24th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I love this week, just wish the game was in October like it's supposed to be. Trying to jump thru hoops to make it to Baton Rouge.

GAD
September 24th, 2013, 07:13 PM
One of the best rivalrys in football campus will be rocking!

BluBengal07
September 24th, 2013, 09:25 PM
can't forget the BoomBox Classic!

813Jag
September 25th, 2013, 07:14 AM
So many great games, SU spoiling JSU homecoming in 89, Jimmy Smith torching SU in 90 (I think), the clock game in 98, the 2010 shootout.

BluBengal07
September 25th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I also found an old article referencing 1999 game, i believe. that game pulled 60,319 fans into Memorial, a regular season game. also read it is practically standing room only.

813Jag
September 25th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I also found an old article referencing 1999 game, i believe. that game pulled 60,319 fans into Memorial, a regular season game. also read it is practically standing room only.
I remember that game the PA announcer had to ask people to slide closer together to allow other fans a place to sit. Also I think it was 96 or 98 that over 30K packed into Mumford.

BluBengal07
September 25th, 2013, 02:22 PM
i think the thing that make this rivalry so genuine is that it's not a classic. also, it's not a neutral site thing. When the game was at the Superdome a few times, Big Easy Classic, it just wasn't the same. the hostile environment of the rival team was like no other and had to be experience. when the games was just done at Memorial a few back-to-back years, that was cool because it was like the perfect venue, but ultimately, wasn't far.

GAD
September 25th, 2013, 02:24 PM
People with tickets were turned away, if you were not in the stadium by kickoff they did not let you in. even if you had a ticket

813Jag
September 25th, 2013, 03:04 PM
i think the thing that make this rivalry so genuine is that it's not a classic. also, it's not a neutral site thing. When the game was at the Superdome a few times, Big Easy Classic, it just wasn't the same. the hostile environment of the rival team was like no other and had to be experience. when the games was just done at Memorial a few back-to-back years, that was cool because it was like the perfect venue, but ultimately, wasn't far.
I hated the game being in the Superdome, of course the only one I missed in N.O. we won 45-7.

BluBengal07
September 25th, 2013, 04:17 PM
it looks like JSU has been studied for a while
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid2274541953001?bckey=AQ~~,AAACCRtKyFk~,y3ojWyg _ELQ2gikTV4mI03WnLne8X14i&bctid=2688611308001

BluBengal07
September 27th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Southern's Reports

Podcast: Southern's Dawson Odums expects tough game with Jackson State

http://theadvocate.com/sports/southern/7167153-123/podcast-southerns-dawson-odums-expects

Jackson State’s Clayton Moore expects more vs. Southern

http://theadvocate.com/sports/southern/7165612-123/jackson-states-clayton-moore-expects

Jackson State quarterback Clayton Moore has pretty much seen it all.
The senior from Louisville, Miss., committed to Ole Miss out of high school in 2009 but, after a sideline incident with his coach, his scholarship offer was rescinded and he was invited to Oxford as a walk-on.
After spending a year on the Rebels’ scout team, Moore transferred to Mississippi Gulf Coast Junior College, where he racked up more than 2,500 total yards and 29 touchdowns, leading the school to a junior-college state championship.
From there, Moore transferred to Akron in 2011. After spending a season directing the Zips — who went 1-11 and ultimately fired coach Rob Ianello — Moore transferred back to his home state at Jackson State in the summer of 2012.
New Akron coach Terry Bowden preferred his quarterback to be a traditional drop-back passer, not the dual-threat type.
“I’ve met a lot of different people, and I’ve been around a lot of different athletes,” Moore said. “I think, if anything, the experience of knowing how to handle a team, keeping everyone on the same page, is the one positive I can take from going to school at so many different places.”
Though Moore eventually ended up at Jackson State, it was never a thought in his mind when he was recruited out of high school by a Southeastern Conference school.
“It wasn’t a place that I thought I would be,” he said. “But now that I’m here, I love it...

BluBengal07
September 27th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Jackson State's Reports

Jackson State gearing up for Southern (VIDEO)

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/2013/09/26/jackson-state-gearing-up-for-southern-video/

Jackson State coach Rick Comegy was vague in the video when talking about how the team will attack Southern offensively, and for obvious reasons. For one, he doesn’t want to give away his game plan or share it with the opponent. But Comegy seemed confident in quarterback Clayton Moore running the offense.
“He’s doing his progression reads, he’s hitting backs out of the backfield,” Comegy said. “He’s not looking down field as much. He’s trying to move the chains, and that’s what we want him to do, is move the chains. That’s what it was all about from the very start.”
JSU showed its running strength against Texas Southern, but Comegy wants to see a mixed offense. Will we see more passing against Southern? After talking to Comegy and players the past weeks, the theme seems to be that they’ll take whatever the defense shows them.

Jackson State aims to fix passing attack. (http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130926/SPORTS030101/309260035/Jackson-State-aims-fix-passing-attack)

“Rico (Richardson) can spoil you because he was running the long routes for touchdowns,” Comegy said. “But I think he (Clayton) is into his own right now. He’s making the right choices and moving the change. … Let the team help him play.”
The Tigers aim to cut down on penalties (http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130924/SPORTS030101/309240037/Jackson-State-s-Comegy-presses-cleaner-showing), which was an issue against Texas Southern. In practice this week, Comegy said the coaching staff has been extra nitpicky on players...

Southern will test Jackson State's tough defense

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130927/SPORTS030101/309270021/Southern-will-test-Jackson-State-s-tough-defense

Years ago, defensive coordinator Darrin Hayes kept up with rankings. But this week, he didn’t know his defense was among the top in the nation.
“I don’t really look at statistics,” Hayes said. “I used to when I was a younger guy, but now, I take it one bit at a time. Statistics, accolades, those things are great. But at the end of the season, you want to have a championship.”
Four games into the season, Jackson State (2-2, 2-0 Southwestern Athletic Conference) is ranked fifth in the FCS in total defense, leading the SWAC. The Tigers have allowed the fewest touchdowns (eight) in the conference.
The JSU defense will be tested Saturday in a showdown with rival Southern (2-2, 2-0), who leads the conference in passing and ranks No. 12 in the FCS in passing offense (305.8 yards per game)...