PDA

View Full Version : Latest on Bomar

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Nothing has changed. Interesting to note that Bomar traveled to the SMU game on his own. He's a team player. All that is new is we have a quote from the NCAA that echoes what SHSU has said time and time again.

Also, it notes that Bomar is not allowed to talk to the media, which is a great move by SHSU...

Sam Houston State waits for Bomar
NCAA: 'Nothing's changed' in transfer QB's eligibility case
09:31 PM CDT on Monday, September 25, 2006
By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Rhett Bomar is still working out with the Sam Houston State football team and attending classes in Huntsville. But school officials still don't know when the NCAA will rule on the quarterback's eligibility.

NCAA spokeswoman Jennifer Kearns said Monday the reinstatement process was under way but added, "Nothing's really changed."

Bomar is not expected make the travel squad for this week's game at No. 7 Texas, SHSU spokesman Paul Ridings said. But Bomar attended the Sam Houston-SMU game earlier this month on his own.

Sam Houston officials are not letting reporters talk with Bomar until his situation is resolved by the NCAA.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/092606dnspobomarlede.299e1a9.html

AppGuy04
September 26th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Atleast he'll be ready if/when he can play

UCABEARS75
September 26th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I would not be shocked if he is cleared to play on Thursday October 19, 2006.

kats89
September 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I would not be shocked if he is cleared to play on Thursday October 19, 2006.

I think he will be cleared in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Just my:twocents:

siugrad99
September 26th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Of course he traveled on his own. He's got a bunch of extra cash from that car dealership to blow ;) He should sit the entire season. There has to be a penalty for his actions and a few games isn't the answer.

AppGuy04
September 26th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Of course he traveled on his own. He's got a bunch of extra cash from that car dealership to blow ;) He should sit the entire season. There has to be a penalty for his actions and a few games isn't the answer.

it was my understanding that he had to pay that money back

Redbird Fan 21
September 26th, 2006, 10:28 PM
it was my understanding that he had to pay that money back

Correct, except I believe that he had to donate the exact amount that was given to him illegally to the charity of his choice...

siugrad99
September 26th, 2006, 10:52 PM
So he gets to look like the good guy even though he knowlingly cheated...Sure hope if I ever made a mistake like that I would get the same treatment ...

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Another AP story...

Brett Hicks, the Bearkats' current starting quarterback, said Bomar is "a little frustrated" waiting for the NCAA's decision. Once it comes, Hicks senses that Bomar will play with a purpose.

"He knows he has a job to do, he knows he has to prove a lot of people wrong," said Hicks, who has developed a fast friendship with Bomar. "But he's one of the hardest workers I've ever seen. He's a competitor. He wants to be on the field. He's doing everything he can to get back there."

Bomar and Quinn, who chose I-AA Montana, drew interest from several smaller schools after their OU dismissals. Both were interested in Texas State, one of Sam Houston's rivals in the Southland Conference, but coach David Bailiff told a newspaper he was concerned they would upset team chemistry. Bailiff didn't return a call seeking comment.

Sam Houston State coach Todd Whitten thought Bomar was worth the risk.

"He was the first one to tell me that he made a mistake, and whatever the penalty is, he's willing to accept it and move forward," Whitten said. "He's a good young man. He works hard, he gets along with the other players. It's been a positive situation for us all the way around."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/15623640.htm

September 27th, 2006, 09:32 PM
does paying the money back even matter! the ncaa is a joke, on these subjects. all this says is if you get caught cheating in 1a go to 1aa and its all ok! they really do not care about money violations but let someone help a student on a test and death penalty to the program. dont have anything against bomar but it is just another slap in the face of 1aa. the ncaa just does not care. i dont think he should play for any of our teams and i am i fan of texas teams. what is this telling the other players, you cheat pay it back nothing is going to happen to you. if he plays any where you are telling the players it is ok to take the money just dont get caught.some how this is just not right and sam houston should say no to him playing. if it was right, stoops would have let stay and did everything in his power to get him to stay? instead we are stuck with the decision of putting our integrity on the line. most of you will probably not agree but i think winning with this kind of decision will cost in the long run.

Ronbo
September 27th, 2006, 09:35 PM
So he gets to look like the good guy even though he knowlingly cheated...Sure hope if I ever made a mistake like that I would get the same treatment ...

If you had any talent you might.LOL

texcap
September 27th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Another AP story...

Brett Hicks, the Bearkats' current starting quarterback, said Bomar is "a little frustrated" waiting for the NCAA's decision. Once it comes, Hicks senses that Bomar will play with a purpose.

"He knows he has a job to do, he knows he has to prove a lot of people wrong," said Hicks, who has developed a fast friendship with Bomar. "But he's one of the hardest workers I've ever seen. He's a competitor. He wants to be on the field. He's doing everything he can to get back there."

Bomar and Quinn, who chose I-AA Montana, drew interest from several smaller schools after their OU dismissals. Both were interested in Texas State, one of Sam Houston's rivals in the Southland Conference, but coach David Bailiff told a newspaper he was concerned they would upset team chemistry. Bailiff didn't return a call seeking comment.

Sam Houston State coach Todd Whitten thought Bomar was worth the risk.

"He was the first one to tell me that he made a mistake, and whatever the penalty is, he's willing to accept it and move forward," Whitten said. "He's a good young man. He works hard, he gets along with the other players. It's been a positive situation for us all the way around."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/15623640.htm

The way things are going in San Marcos right now I would think upsetting the team chemistry would be a GOOD thing!:D

siugrad99
September 27th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Hilarious... I mean seriously you are one funny guy. :nono:

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2006, 05:25 AM
The latest...

Sooners under NCAA scrutiny
Associated Press
Posted Saturday, October 14, 2006

NORMAN, Okla. — The NCAA has officially begun an investigation into alleged violations by former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn that led to the players’ dismissal from the Sooners’ football team.

In a letter to university president David Boren released Friday by the university after an open records request by The Associated Press, NCAA director of enforcement Julie Roe informs Oklahoma of the investigation and tells the university it hopes to finish its work by Nov. 1.

“At this time, the possible violations primarily involve excessive earnings provided to student-athletes employed by a representative of the institution’s athletics interests,” Roe writes in the letter dated Sept. 20. “However, please note that new information is often developed during an investigation that leads to expanded inquiries.”

The NCAA’s Committee on Infractions would take over if the investigation results in a notice of allegations against Oklahoma.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=238298

Mr. C
October 14th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Doesn't sound like Bomar will be suiting up this season from that report.

blackfordpu
October 14th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Doesn't sound like Bomar will be suiting up this season from that report.

Thats ok, Hicks is our man!:nod:

Ronbo
October 14th, 2006, 09:47 AM
We're hearing Nov. 1st for word from the NCAA.

Dallas Demon
October 14th, 2006, 12:08 PM

His home is in Arlington I think. Would be about like me going to the game at SMU or North Texas or Texas Stadium, not a huge undertaking.

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Bomar was apparently in the box with the Off Coordinator during the Arkansas-Monticello home game. I did not see him during the SHSU game today against Nicholls St, but I think the Kats are fine as is...

Perhaps when we play Texas St-San Marcos and are blowing them out, we can put our backup, Rhett Bomar in the game...

blackfordpu
October 14th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Bomar was apparently in the box with the Off Coordinator during the Arkansas-Monticello home game. I did not see him during the SHSU game today against Nicholls St, but I think the Kats are fine as is...

Perhaps when we play Texas St-San Marcos and are blowing them out, we can put our backup, Rhett Bomar in the game...

HAHA!

Good one TT. I think Bomar will sit this season entirely and compete for the starting job next season.

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Latest remark from Todd Whitten (which I assume came in the SLC Teleconference since it was covered in the San Marcos Record's SLC Notebook). SHSU Athletic Dept is saying all the right things and doing all the right things as it relates to this issue...
======
No news on Bomar

Sam Houston was hoping Oklahoma transfer Rhett Bomar would be available at this point in the season, but the Bearkats haven’t gotten any word from the NCAA.

“There’s really not an avenue to find things out about that,” Whitten said. “We’ve thought all along that he’d have an opportunity to play this season, but it’s still just wait-and-see.”

Bomar was suspended indefinitely pending an investigation into him allegedly receiving money for little to no work at an Oklahoma car dealership.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/local_story_298113657.html

BigApp
October 26th, 2006, 09:44 PM
any chance of a redshirt?

Lionsrking
October 26th, 2006, 10:00 PM
any chance of a redshirt?

I believe he already redshirted at Oklahoma.

BigApp
October 26th, 2006, 10:17 PM
oh, ok thanks!

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Been a long time since we updated this thread, but there's an update on the Oklahoma side of things...Oklahoma looking to move forward and take what the NCAA hands them, if anything more than the actions already taken by the school and the NCAA, on the athletes...

NCAA drops no bombshells on OU
By John Shinn

By John Shinn

Transcript Sports Writer

Oklahoma released the notice of allegations it was served by the NCAA Monday and there were no bombshells.

After a five-month-long investigation, the only allegation brought by the NCAA enforcement staff was for failure to adequately monitor the employment of football student-athletes at Big Red Sports and Imports form February 2005 through March 2006.

The findings were part of an investigation after OU self-reported violations and dismissed former quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn in August for accepting extra pay while working at the car dealership.

http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_043191853.html?keyword=topstory

Purple Pride
February 12th, 2007, 10:28 PM
BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. He better play, because I'll bet you $5 we have him looking out his ear-hole and singing "Mary had a little lamb".:thumbsup:

McNeese75
February 12th, 2007, 11:04 PM
BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. He better play, because I'll bet you $5 we have him looking out his ear-hole and singing "Mary had a little lamb".:thumbsup:

:D :nod:

Frosty The Snowbuff
February 13th, 2007, 10:20 AM
does paying the money back even matter! the ncaa is a joke, on these subjects. all this says is if you get caught cheating in 1a go to 1aa and its all ok! they really do not care about money violations but let someone help a student on a test and death penalty to the program. dont have anything against bomar but it is just another slap in the face of 1aa. the ncaa just does not care. i dont think he should play for any of our teams and i am i fan of texas teams. what is this telling the other players, you cheat pay it back nothing is going to happen to you. if he plays any where you are telling the players it is ok to take the money just dont get caught.some how this is just not right and sam houston should say no to him playing. if it was right, stoops would have let stay and did everything in his power to get him to stay? instead we are stuck with the decision of putting our integrity on the line. most of you will probably not agree but i think winning with this kind of decision will cost in the long run.

In a sense you could say the NCAA cares TOO MUCH!!!!

They remember what happened to SMU and try as hard as humanly possible to avoid that from happening again. Apparently the worst thing a school will get from the NCAA these days are a few years probation. (Why else do you think they avoided giving Miami and Alabama the same treatment?)

UCABEARS75
February 13th, 2007, 10:26 AM
:D :nod:

Hey 75, sometimes I wonder about some of our fans. I guess all of us have some like that however.

McNeese75
February 13th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Hey 75, sometimes I wonder about some of our fans. I guess all of us have some like that however.

And that would be?????????

blackfordpu
February 13th, 2007, 11:15 PM

You have to catch him first.

kats89
February 13th, 2007, 11:52 PM

What hole did you crawl out of in Wooly Hollow, Ark.xlolx Go back to sleep now!:nod:

AppGuy04
February 14th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I heard the other day there might be a 3rd player, anyone got any info on that?

UCABEARS75
February 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM
And that would be?????????

Maybe a little overly zealous.

AppGuy04
February 14th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Found it: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2763389

McNeese75
February 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Maybe a little overly zealous.

Actually, I liked his insight :nod:

Appstate29
February 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM
you gotta wonder how long this has been going on at Oklahoma. I know it happens at a lot of BCS schools, for both football and basketball. And I personally know a player who went to A school that shall remain nameless located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, that his family couldn't rub two dimes together, but when we got up to Carolina he was driving a brand new Lexus. I hope that one day Appalachian will compete with these guys but I would never ever want us to resort to cheating.

AppGuy04
February 15th, 2007, 08:44 AM
you gotta wonder how long this has been going on at Oklahoma. I know it happens at a lot of BCS schools, for both football and basketball. And I personally know a player who went to A school that shall remain nameless located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, that his family couldn't rub two dimes together, but when we got up to Carolina he was driving a brand new Lexus. I hope that one day Appalachian will compete with these guys but I would never ever want us to resort to cheating.

You mean like how Julius Peppers had a Navigator and 24's while he was in college?:eyebrow:

Peems
February 15th, 2007, 11:17 AM
You mean like how Julius Peppers had a Navigator and 24's while he was in college?:eyebrow:

yeah but hes julius peppers he was on BOTH squads.

AppGuy04
February 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM
yeah but hes julius peppers he was on BOTH squads.

meaning it was more likely to be noticed, yet, it still happened

alot of people turning a blind eye if you ask me

Peems
February 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM
meaning it was more likely to be noticed, yet, it still happened

a lot of people turning a blind eye if you ask me

i was being sarcastic(sorry i didnt make it noticeable) but i agree if you are a big name school/athlete, administrators/coaches/boosters will let more things slide then if you are Johnny No-Name. it seems to me that Oklahoma got trapped and is now trying to find a way out of it.

kats89
February 19th, 2007, 10:20 PM

You cant tell me that Bob Stoops didnt know where his STAR QB was working.:nono:

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
From the campus fishwrap today...nothing too much, but Rhett is apparently having a good spring. With some of those transfer WRs on campus and returnees, I'm sure he's working on his timing...

---------------------
He may not be listed as any of the recruits the Bearkats signed on Signing Day 2007, but Rhett Bomar, the former University of Oklahoma quarterback and seventh overall rated prospect by Scout.com in 2004, was an important acquisition for the team in August. Like the other recruits, Bomar will play his first game as a Bearkat in the fall. According to Whitten, Bomar is cleared to play by the NCAA and is expected to be in a Bearkat uniform this fall. Like most of the Bearkat faithful, Coach Whitten is looking forward to Bomar's return to the field.

"Rhett is having a good spring. We're excited for spring practices" Whitten said. "We have high hopes for him this season."

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4678

patssle
February 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM
everybody everywhere is having a good spring