PDA

View Full Version : Maine and the National polls

URMite
September 23rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Maine drops out of the Coaches Poll and is in neither poll this week.

So how are we suppose to get a top #25 win? xthumbsupx

Yes, we all know the only poll that is voted on by people who watch the games is here. But unfortunately the other two are the ones that get quoted.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/coaches

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/the_sports_network

BlueHenSinfonian
September 23rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Maine certainly deserves a ranking, they're 3-1 with a FBS win, and their only loss being to a FBS team which they played well. It's a shame they don't play Towson this year, that could be a hell of a game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Maine had the least appreciated performance this past weekend. I'm a big believer in Northwestern this year and the Bears went toe-2-toe with them for nearly 60 minutes.

You know Maine will be tough at home. They're definitely a team worth keeping an eye on. I had them 21st this week....

Vooter
September 23rd, 2013, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I can't believe Maine dropped out of the top 25 after losing 35-21 on the road against a ranked FBS team. Ridiculous--they should have moved up...

SpeedkingATL
September 23rd, 2013, 01:33 PM
Voting is pretty clueless if Maine not in top 25 based on their performance to this point.

citdog
September 23rd, 2013, 01:41 PM
I have Maine at #10 in my poll.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2013, 02:08 PM
I unfairly ranked Maine #15. They might deserve more, but I just couldn't justify it after a 14 point loss.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2013, 02:13 PM
Maine is too low in my own poll at #19. I have at least 5 teams ahead of them that I regret putting Maine behind.

colorless raider
September 23rd, 2013, 02:14 PM
I unfairly ranked Maine #15. They might deserve more, but I just couldn't justify it after a 14 point loss.

Maine has done a fantastic job and I too would have them in the top ten.

Professor Chaos
September 23rd, 2013, 02:21 PM
I don't see them in the top 10 at all. You could justify them around the 20 range or maybe a spot or two above but I don't put much importance in the UMass win, they'd be a middle to bottom tier CAA team right now if you ask me. Norfolk St is winless and Bryant has won one D1 game by a single point. I give them some credit for hanging with Northwestern but not enough to move them much higher than I had them last week, which was on the top 25 bubble. Teams 20-25 is such a crap shoot right now though I wouldn't argue against them in one those spots but 10 is too high IMO.

I see Maine in about the same light as Charleston Southern, fringe top 25 teams that have definitely made a case to be included in the top 25 with the early seasons wins but haven't proven enough to me to show they belong yet.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2013, 02:23 PM
I don't see them in top 10 at all. You could justify them around the 20 range or maybe a spot or two above but I don't put much importance in the UMass win, they'd be a middle to bottom tier CAA team right now if you ask me. Norfolk St is winless and Bryant has won one D1 game by a single point. I give them some credit for hanging with Northwestern but not enough to move them much higher than I had them last week, which was on the top 25 bubble. Teams 20-25 is such a crap shoot right now though I wouldn't argue against them in one those spots but 10 is too high IMO.

I agree with the sentiment at this time (I think top 20 is too low, but top 10 is to high), but looking at Maine's schedule, they may be in the argument for a seed come playoff time. 9-3/10-2 doesn't look that far fetched at the moment.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2013, 02:28 PM
Let's see, I have Maine at No. 19. Certainly a good enough resume to be in the Top 20 IMO, but to be fair they pretty much performed in line of my expectations. Hard to consider a win over UMass a quality win.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
19 is exactly where I have them however on a review of my poll again, I am hard-pressed to argue for some teams ahead of them whose schedules are arguably less than that of Maine's.

Tribe4SF
September 23rd, 2013, 02:37 PM
Coaches poll remains a joke. Maine loses a good showing at Northwestern and drops out. Lehigh ekes it out by one against Princeton and moves up a spot.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 23rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Maine and William and Mary both belong in the Top 25. Based on 4 weeks of results, they should both be in the 10-20 range.

They should both be in front of Richmond, JMU, Wofford, Villanova among teams I pay attention to. I am sure that there are a good handful of other non CAA/SoCon team that should be behind the Bears and Indians, as well.

citdog
September 23rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
Coaches poll remains a joke. Maine loses a good showing at Northwestern and drops out. Lehigh ekes it out by one against Princeton and moves up a spot.

be careful now..........those le high boys will close ranks against you

Lehigh'98
September 23rd, 2013, 04:39 PM
FWIW, I don't have Lehigh in top 25 and think Maine is around 15-20 based on performance. Should LU upset UNH this week, then things will change. Citadel around 50.

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2013, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I can't believe Maine dropped out of the top 25 after losing 35-21 on the road against a ranked FBS team. Ridiculous--they should have moved up...

Maine dropping in the FCS polls is absolutely ridiculous - they gave a good Northwestern team a solid tussle.

I don't pay much attention to the FCS/Division I-AA polls, but only in college football could a ranked FBS/Division I-A school beat a ranked FCS/Division I-AA school and see both teams move down in the rankings the following week. Heck, the FBS team probably is more likely to move up despite playing an FCS team and beating them unimpressively.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
be careful now..........those le high boys will close ranks against you

Let's see, I have Maine at No. 19. Certainly a good enough resume to be in the Top 20 IMO, but to be fair they pretty much performed in line of my expectations. Hard to consider a win over UMass a quality win.

FWIW, I don't have Lehigh in top 25 and think Maine is around 15-20 based on performance. Should LU upset UNH this week, then things will change. Citadel around 50.

Maine dropping in the FCS polls is absolutely ridiculous - they gave a good Northwestern team a solid tussle.

I don't pay much attention to the FCS/Division I-AA polls, but only in college football could a ranked FBS/Division I-A school beat a ranked FCS/Division I-AA school and see both teams move down in the rankings the following week. Heck, the FBS team probably is more likely to move up despite playing an FCS team and beating them unimpressively.

Those ranks, wow, really closing in, citdog.

Lehigh'98
September 23rd, 2013, 06:26 PM
Citdog claims he dislikes the PL, but it's really only Lehigh he seems to take issue with, possibly because we just have a lot of posters on the board.

Engineer86
September 23rd, 2013, 06:28 PM

Those ranks, wow, really closing in, citdog.

Come on now, don't let any facts in the way of his delusional world.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2013, 06:29 PM
Citdog claims he dislikes the PL, but it's really only Lehigh he seems to take issue with, possibly because we just have a lot of posters on the board.

...or he's po'd because a former Lehigh coach can't win at his second rate school.......

citdog
September 23rd, 2013, 06:34 PM
...or he's po'd because a former Lehigh coach can't win at his second rate school.......

second rate? now you just look foolish............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR2KvwRZ5Ec

URMite
September 23rd, 2013, 07:48 PM
Maine and William and Mary both belong in the Top 25. Based on 4 weeks of results, they should both be in the 10-20 range.

They should both be in front of Richmond, JMU, Wofford, Villanova among teams I pay attention to. I am sure that there are a good handful of other non CAA/SoCon team that should be behind the Bears and Indians, as well.

Although from watching them twice, W&M does look like a top 20 team, I think their resume so far is beginning to look like ours last season. Their 3 wins are winless Hampton, winless Lafayette, and Rhode Island. Therefore I think they are borderline top 25.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 23rd, 2013, 08:14 PM
Although from watching them twice, W&M does look like a top 20 team, I think their resume so far is beginning to look like ours last season. Their 3 wins are winless Hampton, winless Lafayette, and Rhode Island. Therefore I think they are borderline top 25.

Sure, but their performance at WVU was as impressive as any CAA result, Towson over Uconn included, IMO.

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2013, 08:24 PM
I don't think West Virginia is very good this year. Maryland (who might be a decent team but probably isn't a great team) just beat the crap out of WVU this past Saturday.

Tribal
September 23rd, 2013, 08:53 PM
Not to derail this to all things W&M but we played who we scheduled...good thing, huh? UMD is #27 in the nation so I'd say that's a pretty good program, especially since they had to climb to get that high vice get a top ranking based on name alone (see Notre Dame). W&M has played lights out on defense and the running game is on point, albeit to "lesser" opponents. 3-1 with our 3rd string QB isn't bad. This will all work out soon enough...Nova, Maine, JMU, UNH, Delaware, Towson, and Richmond on the horizon.

chattownmocs
September 23rd, 2013, 09:57 PM
Its amazing to open up a thread like this and see NDSU homers poo poo a team for losing by 14. Were talking about a group of fans of a team that has never, ever, even played a team as good as this Northwestern team. Yes Northwestern. That's says something about the cowardly NDSU scheduling. The ignorance of these football newbies is laughable. Learn the game, then talk. Hopping on on a bandwagon is not a personal accomplishment.

GoAgs72
September 23rd, 2013, 10:17 PM
I have Maine at #18.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 23rd, 2013, 10:26 PM
This will all work out soon enough.

Based on our experience last year - starting outside the poll and going 8-3, 6-2 and staying at home the Saturday after Turkey Day - I wouldn't assume anything.

Tribe4SF
September 24th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Based on our experience last year - starting outside the poll and going 8-3, 6-2 and staying at home the Saturday after Turkey Day - I wouldn't assume anything.

Yeah, you guys belonged in the field. I think Tribal meant more that we'll find out if the Tribe is worthy with our schedule. 5-3 in conference will put us on the bubble, but 6-2 and 9-3 overall should do it this year. Right now we're hopeful but if we don't see more from the passing game it will be tough.

UNHWildcat18
September 24th, 2013, 09:10 AM

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH..

gotts
September 24th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Its amazing to open up a thread like this and see NDSU homers poo poo a team for losing by 14. Were talking about a group of fans of a team that has never, ever, even played a team as good as this Northwestern team. Yes Northwestern. That's says something about the cowardly NDSU scheduling. The ignorance of these football newbies is laughable. Learn the game, then talk. Hopping on on a bandwagon is not a personal accomplishment.

Buffalo Chicken on Italian Herbs & Cheese, please.

chattownmocs
September 24th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Buffalo Chicken on Italian Herbs & Cheese, please.

I'll take a mcdouble with no onions.

DoubleH
September 24th, 2013, 05:31 PM

Try being co-CAA champs at 7-4 with 2 FBS losses to 2 ranked FBS teams, and owning a 14-point road win at Villanova (who made the field), and completely obliterating (also playoff-bound) UNH at their place the last weekend of the season - and being left out of the playoffs.

Assume nothing.

HensRock
September 24th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I have Maine at #13. Keep it up Black Bears. I've been talking you up!

Lehigh'98
September 24th, 2013, 07:25 PM
AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH..

I honestly think people on this board dislike Lehigh just because we have some semi annoying posters that always pick Lehigh to win. If we had 1 or 2 posters, I really believe we'd have more general FCS support here. Not that it really matters, but I notice the general consensus is to pick against us almost always and that is the only reason I can think of. After NDSU, we probably have the most threads on this board.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I honestly think people on this board dislike Lehigh just because we have some semi annoying posters that always pick Lehigh to win. If we had 1 or 2 posters, I really believe we'd have more general FCS support here. Not that it really matters, but I notice the general consensus is to pick against us almost always and that is the only reason I can think of. After NDSU, we probably have the most threads on this board.

Personally I do not subscribe to the belief but I certainly believe your take on it to be accurate. There is a high annoyance factor sometimes.

Lehigh'98
September 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Personally I do not subscribe to the belief but I certainly believe your take on it to be accurate. There is a high annoyance factor sometimes.

It's too bad because we have a very proud football tradition and some great fans along with a great football atmosphere in Bethlehem. Unfortunately, some over the top people (the fan) feel the need to reiterate how great they think we are in 100's of posts per day. I'd prefer if we let our performance speak for itself.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I'll take a mcdouble with no onions.

What kind of ninny doesn't eat onions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w1p5UI7Siw

Tribal
September 24th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Yeah, you guys belonged in the field. I think Tribal meant more that we'll find out if the Tribe is worthy with our schedule. 5-3 in conference will put us on the bubble, but 6-2 and 9-3 overall should do it this year. Right now we're hopeful but if we don't see more from the passing game it will be tough.

That's exactly what I meant...been around too long to assume anything but I'm the king of hope. Tribe have every opportunity to make a statement unlike programs from some conferences that play only one team in the top 25.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 24th, 2013, 08:45 PM

Fair enough. Considering that you guys miss the 2 league newcomers, who both appear destined to finish toward the bottom of the conference, 5-3 in league should hopefully be enough to get you in.

Hopefully we both get to the final game of the season with a playoff berth on the line. Makes for a much better game.

Tribe4SF
September 25th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Fair enough. Considering that you guys miss the 2 league newcomers, who both appear destined to finish toward the bottom of the conference, 5-3 in league should hopefully be enough to get you in.

Hopefully we both get to the final game of the season with a playoff berth on the line. Makes for a much better game.

I have a better idea. Both 7-0 with conference title on the line!:D