PDA

View Full Version : Under the radar & where is the snow?

Neckfansince71
September 25th, 2006, 08:01 PM
:) Just heard about this site. Hope I can be an intelligent contributor. The Leathernecks of Western Illinois have been flying under the radar until today. Saw them in person against Wisconsin and was impressed by their ability to fly to the ball and the hits they put on the Badgers. The Northern Colorado game was a good test. The NCU announcers seemed impressed too. Last two touchdowns were against the second team. Next up, Western Kentucky!

Saw the Colgate stadium pictures and hardly recognized it! Just wondering where the 10 inches of snow and the Necks title hopes disappeared to.

Eastern stands at WIU will be replaced after final game this fall. Western stands ala press box will be torn down and reconstructed in the near future as part of a capital campaign. The Necks are back!:hurray:

jc

siugrad99
September 25th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Enjoy the early wins, as they will be few and far between going forward entering GFC play. You may come out undefeated after WKU, but you won't leave Carbondale without a L. "Necks are back" flashback to last visit to Carbondale.... 45-7 @ Half & 66-13 Final. Glasford the second coming of Walter Payton to WIU fans.... 24 rushes for 34 yards. SIU's back up QB had 56 yards on 4 carries! Reality sets in when Gateway play begins.

blackfordpu
September 25th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Welcome NSF71!:nod:

LeopardFan04
September 25th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Welcome...:hurray:

grizband
September 25th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Welcome! Always good to have new members join, and contribute to the madness that is AGS.

siugrad99
September 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Pardon my rudeness... Welcome Neckfan :):hurray:

TheValleyRaider
September 26th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Saw the Colgate stadium pictures and hardly recognized it! Just wondering where the 10 inches of snow and the Necks title hopes disappeared to.

It's only September. Light flurries get melted by the sunlight. Real snow starts next week :nod:

Glad to see another Leatherneck aboard. All 5 of them who made the trip to Hamilton should be commended as loyal diehards. Classy team, and Michna was one of the finest QBs I've seen at Andy Kerr. Best football game I've had the privilege of attending :thumbsup: :bow:

Dallas Demon
September 26th, 2006, 12:16 AM
It's only September. Light flurries get melted by the sunlight. Real snow starts next week :nod:

Glad to see another Leatherneck aboard. All 5 of them who made the trip to Hamilton should be commended as loyal diehards. Classy team, and Michna was one of the finest QBs I've seen at Andy Kerr. Best football game I've had the privilege of attending :thumbsup: :bow:

Best game to watch too, I would love to see that game again. Wish I had recorded it, the snow was incredible.

JoeNeck90
September 26th, 2006, 12:24 AM

Glad to see another Leatherneck aboard. All 5 of them who made the trip to Hamilton should be commended as loyal diehards. Classy team, and Michna was one of the finest QBs I've seen at Andy Kerr. Best football game I've had the privilege of attending :thumbsup: :bow:s

Michna played that game with a separated shoulder which occurred in the first half the week before against the Griz.

September 26th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Michna played that game with a separated shoulder which occurred in the first half the week before against the Griz.Gawd he was awesome. I saw WIU that year beat the Penguins then watched them devour the Griz. The snow game at Colgate was incredible. Someone please youtube part of it ... please.

JoeNeck90
September 26th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Enjoy the early wins, as they will be few and far between going forward entering GFC play. You may come out undefeated after WKU, but you won't leave Carbondale without a L. "Necks are back" flashback to last visit to Carbondale.... 45-7 @ Half & 66-13 Final. Glasford the second coming of Walter Payton to WIU fans.... 24 rushes for 34 yards. SIU's back up QB had 56 yards on 4 carries! Reality sets in when Gateway play begins.

Whoooaaaa! Hello. NFS71 is an avid fan and is glad to see the Necks back on track and after his first post, you're trash talkin'. You're absolutely right. It will be very tough to get some wins in the Gateway this year. The only team with the easy slate to the playoffs is SIU. As far as flashbacks go, 68-27, 42-17 and a 54-52 SIU win where some refs probably should have been fired are some of my memories. If you don't understand the latter score, watch the tape very closely. Everybody knows about that one. "Glasford the second coming of Walter Payton?" That's news to me. Walter didn't fumble like Glasford did against SIU/UNI in 2003. The 2003 Necks were the best team in the GFC if not the nation.

September 26th, 2006, 12:58 AM
... The 2003 Necks were the best team in the GFC if not the nation.SOCLOSE! :nod:

JoeNeck90
September 26th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Welcome...:hurray:

Penn 14 LAF 11 in the 4th QTR with 10 minutes left in the game live now on FCSA. Penn driving.

Grizo406
September 26th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Gawd he was awesome. I saw WIU that year beat the Penguins then watched them devour the Griz.

Michna was a stud of the first order, and is quite possibly one of the best QBs I've ever seen in Washington/Grizzly in the post season.

But a final of 43-40, with 2 OT's hardly qualifies as "devour" to me.

Ronbo
September 26th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Exactly my thoughts Grizo. Ochs was knocked out of that game early and Disney led us into overtime where we took the lead and then dropped a Michna pass into the endzone that was right in our DB's hands that would have ended the game. Yep they devoured us. LOL

siugrad99
September 26th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Cry me a river over the end of the game when SIU beat you on the last play. Are you also an OU alum that officials should be fired ? A Loss is a Loss. We accepted 18 straight, now it's your turn.

YoUDeeMan
September 26th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Whoooaaaa! Hello. NFS71 is an avid fan and is glad to see the Necks back on track and after his first post, you're trash talkin'. You're absolutely right. It will be very tough to get some wins in the Gateway this year. The only team with the easy slate to the playoffs is SIU. As far as flashbacks go, 68-27, 42-17 and a 54-52 SIU win where some refs probably should have been fired are some of my memories. If you don't understand the latter score, watch the tape very closely. Everybody knows about that one. "Glasford the second coming of Walter Payton?" That's news to me. Walter didn't fumble like Glasford did against SIU/UNI in 2003. The 2003 Necks were the best team in the GFC if not the nation.

Welcome NFS71! :hurray:

While you folks stroll down memory lane of your 2003 playoff squeekers, perhaps a slight wake up call is in order to address the last quote. On their way to the title, and the claim to the best team in the nation, the 2003 Delaware Blue Hens absolutely destroyed two GFC teams, the best SoCon team, and, of course, Colgate (by a combined score of 149-23 - with 6 of those points being a Wofford TD with 0:00 left on the clock while our fans ran all over the field). As a reminder, the GFC sent 4 teams to the playoffs and none were left standing by the semi-finals. Those 4 GFC teams lost 48-7 (SIU), 37-7 (NIU), 28-27 (WIU), and 34-17 (WKU).

There were no teams in I-AA that would have beaten the Hens in the playoffs that year. Those that tried were not even close.

Neckfansince71
September 26th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I didn't know Northern Illinois made the 1AA playoffs that year! Just joken, thats UNI!!!

jc

siugrad99
September 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah, If other schools had the benefit of all the 1A transfers Deleware had that season they might have had a shot :) I believe your DE was the ACC defensive player of the year the season before only to transfer to Deleware ? Hmm... Anyway they SMOKED my Salukis, although we'd love a rematch :)

DaGriz
September 26th, 2006, 11:00 PM
. I saw WIU that year beat the Penguins then watched them devour the Griz.

:bow:

That weekend sucked.

blur2005
September 27th, 2006, 12:05 AM
I had Western ranked last week. Not quite under my radar. Hopefully, the Leathernecks will put together a good season and maybe a playoff appearance after a decent hiatus from the tournament.

YoUDeeMan
September 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah, If other schools had the benefit of all the 1A transfers Deleware had that season they might have had a shot :) I believe your DE was the ACC defensive player of the year the season before only to transfer to Deleware ? Hmm... Anyway they SMOKED my Salukis, although we'd love a rematch :)

Shawn Johnson (DE), Andy Hall (QB), David Boler (WR), Joey Blaeymeir (WR), and Brad Shushman (K) certainly helped UD win the championship, along with standout non-transfers, but UD wasn't the only team with I-A transfers. Many teams had as many or more.

In 2003, WIU welcomed LB Bradley Vane (transfer from Minnesota), LB Tim Martz (Co. State), LB Phil Archer (Minnesota), LB Matt Lingley (Washington), and an OT from Northwestern (Derek something...?). All that, but no championship.

By the way, SIU's coach was well spoken and handled that loss with class. And, despite the score, SIU's players continued to play football throughout the game. That left a positive impression and I still follow SIU football (your local paper covers the team well). Good luck this year!

JoeNeck90
September 28th, 2006, 01:57 AM
In 2003, WIU welcomed LB Bradley Vane (transfer from Minnesota), LB Tim Martz (Co. State), LB Phil Archer (Minnesota), LB Matt Lingley (Washington), and an OT from Northwestern (Derek something...?). All that, but no championship.

Sorry, I forgot you guys were pretty good that year.;)
Vance never came to WIU. Something about still owing money at Minn. Martz never really played. He is the son of Mike whose team held summer camp at WIU at that time. :eyebrow: Archer was real good. Lingley had a lot of tattoos, that's about it. I think Derek Martinez was decent.

September 28th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Michna was a stud of the first order, and is quite possibly one of the best QBs I've ever seen in Washington/Grizzly in the post season. But a final of 43-40, with 2 OT's hardly qualifies as "devour" to me.Just using colorful language to say they beat the Griz. No slight meant.
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=51109
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=51105
... Western capped a six-play, 21-yard drive with a four-yard pass from Travis Glasford to a wide-open Russ Michna, marking the first career pass for Glasford and Michna’s first career reception... Michna completed 22 of 31 passes for 375 yards (ties a career-high set against Southern Illinois this season) and two touchdowns while Western earned its first road playoff win in school history.
WIU UM
FIRST DOWNS................... 25 20
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 45-138 52-192
PASSING YDS (NET)............. 379 188
Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 33-23-1 22-15-1
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 78-517 74-380
Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............ 1--2 2-61
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 5-52 6-138
Interception Returns-Yards.... 1-0 1-19
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 2-32.0 1-50.0
Fumbles-Lost.................. 3-2 3-2
Penalties-Yards............... 11-65 9-93
Possession Time............... 31:52 27:18
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 0-0 1-10

Grizo406
September 28th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Just using colorful language to say they beat the Griz. No slight meant.
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=51109
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=51105
WIU UM
FIRST DOWNS................... 25 20
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 45-138 52-192
PASSING YDS (NET)............. 379 188
Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 33-23-1 22-15-1
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 78-517 74-380
Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............ 1--2 2-61
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 5-52 6-138
Interception Returns-Yards.... 1-0 1-19
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 2-32.0 1-50.0
Fumbles-Lost.................. 3-2 3-2
Penalties-Yards............... 11-65 9-93
Possession Time............... 31:52 27:18
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 0-0 1-10

I used the same colorful language that you used, Ralph, but what I meant to say was that Michna was THE BEST QB that I've ever seen in Washington/Grizzly in the post season...including Ricky Santos.

"When I saw you say "devour" to your friend and smile
I thought that it was well understood
That you'd be comin' back in a little while
I didn't know that you were sayin' "devour" for good"
-BDylan
-Grizo

CrunchGriz
September 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I used the same colorful language that you used, Ralph, but what I meant to say was that Michna was THE BEST QB that I've ever seen in Washington/Grizzly in the post season...including Ricky Santos.

"When I saw you say "devour" to your friend and smile
I thought that it was well understood
That you'd be comin' back in a little while
I didn't know that you were sayin' "devour" for good"
-BDylan
-Grizo

Grizo, I'm guessing that you meant "best opponent's quarterback" you've seen in Wash-Griz in the postseason.

Otherwise, you're leaving off at least one Griz QB who enjoyed fine postseasons in W-G (e.g., DD passed for 1500 yards in the postseason in '95, over 1200 of which came in the three absolute blowout games in W-G).

siugrad99
September 28th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the kind words for coach Kill. We felt we got screwed for being so good all season and having to go on the road to UD 1st round. Regardless SIU wouldn't have won because they weren't up to the challenge due to the lack of experience against teams like UD. We've learned a lot from that loss and hopefully we can continue to grow.