PDA

View Full Version : ELITE 12 AND THE PLAYOFFS

EAGLEHATER
September 25th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Though Matt Dougherty has acknowledged it, I doubt I'm the only one who has notice the stability of the Sportsnetwork.com polls. After reviewing the Sportsnetwork.com poll beginning with the preseason poll, there appears to what I will refer to as the Elite 12 – New Hampshire, App. St., Furman, Montana, Illinois St, Richmond, Youngstown St, UMASS, Hampton, UNI, and McNeese St. These 12 teams have held spots in the top 16 since the preseason. I selected 16 as a magic number for the obvious reason. I predict all of the Elite 12 to win this week except UNI. Though we’ve only played 4 weeks of football, I bet that 11 of these Elite 12 teams will be in the playoffs (I doubt we will see UNI in the postseason). If UNI can keep it close (i.e, not lose by more than 30) they will probably remain in the top 16. I just thought it was interesting.

September 25th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Though Matt Dougherty has acknowledged it, I doubt I'm the only one who has notice the stability of the Sportsnetwork.com polls. After reviewing the Sportsnetwork.com poll beginning with the preseason poll, there appears to what I will refer to as the Elite 12 – New Hampshire, App. St., Furman, Montana, Illinois St, Richmond, Youngstown St, UMASS, Hampton, UNI, and McNeese St. These 12 teams have held spots in the top 16 since the preseason. I selected 16 as a magic number for the obvious reason. I predict all of the Elite 12 to win this week except UNI. Though we’ve only played 4 weeks of football, I bet that 11 of these Elite 12 teams will be in the playoffs (I doubt we will see UNI in the postseason). If UNI can keep it close (i.e, not lose by more than 30) they will probably remain in the top 16. I just thought it was interesting.Though you left out Cal Poly in your list it is notable to mention the ELITE 12 from AGS and CSN as well and how they differ...

In the AGS Top 16 since the preseason:
Appalachian St
Cal Poly
Furman
Illinois St
Massachusetts
McNeese St<-- not in CSN top 16
Montana
New Hampshire
North Dakota St<-- not in SNW/CSN top 16
Northern Iowa<-- not in CSN top 16
Richmond
Youngstown St

In the SNW Top 16 since the preseason:
Appalachian St
Cal Poly
Furman
Hampton<-- not in AGS top 16
Illinois St
Massachusetts
McNeese St<-- not in CSN top 16
Montana
New Hampshire
Northern Iowa<-- not in CSN top 16
Richmond
Youngstown St

In the CSN Top 16 since the season started (no preseason poll):
Appalachian St
Cal Poly
Furman
Hampton<-- not in AGS top 16
Illinois St
James Madison<-- not in AGS/SNW top 16
Massachusetts
Montana
New Hampshire
Richmond
Southern Illinois<-- not in AGS/SNW top 16
Youngstown St

TexasTerror
September 25th, 2006, 06:32 PM
McNeese St may be in this elite group but the SLC is a mess...

It's going to be a battleground and whomever emerges is going to be the auto-bid. Definitely do not expect seeing a second team, an at-large, in this year's playoffs which will be a shame...

UNHknowledge
September 25th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Just a question after seeing this weeks rankings. Why is San Diego unranked when they have only lost 1 or 2 games in 2 years and are #1 in the mid-major poll? Not saying that Albany doesn't deserve their #23 spot but they have a loss and San Diego doesn't. I just want to know how this works.

September 25th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Just a question after seeing this weeks rankings. Why is San Diego unranked when they have only lost 1 or 2 games in 2 years and are #1 in the mid-major poll? Not saying that Albany doesn't deserve their #23 spot but they have a loss and San Diego doesn't. I just want to know how this works.Well,
1. Teams from the NEC do not belong in the same poll as PFL and MAAC teams. The MAAC and PFL are true non-schollie. NEC hasn't been for years.
2. Albany has played a tougher schedule and that gets them a bigger nod in the top 25. Voters for the "mid-major" poll see the loss while USD has none.

We'll see in the Gridiron Classic which conference champ is better between the PFL and NEC while the MAAC watches.

RadMann
September 25th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I thought UNI lost to a division II team?

Hansel
September 25th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I thought UNI lost to a division II team?
they lost to some other school from North Dakota- I can't remember the name ;)

SO ILLmatic
September 25th, 2006, 08:53 PM
We'll see in the Gridiron Classic which conference champ is better between the PFL and NEC while the MAAC watches.

Unless Albany goes undefeated the rest of the season and the selection committee overlooks their week 2 loss.

2004 Coastal won every game in except one ( al oss was to Newberry). Seems like the selection committee would look more favorably towards a loss against Fordham than Newberry, esp. with the early success of the NEC this year.

September 25th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Unless Albany goes undefeated the rest of the season and the selection committee overlooks their week 2 loss...17.11.4 End of Playing Season
A member institution's last contest (game or scrimmage) with outside competition in football shall not be played after the second Saturday or Sunday in December, except for the following: (Revised: 1/11/89)

(b) Bowl Games, NCAA and NAIA Championships, International Competition, Heritage Bowl and Gridiron Classic. One postseason game approved by the Championships/Competition Cabinet or those games played in the Division I-AA Football Championship; football contests played on a foreign tour certified by the member institution, or the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics football championships. In Division I-AA only, a member institution's last contest also may include participation in the Heritage Bowl or Gridiron Classic.

17.11.4.1 Gridiron Classic Restrictions I-AA
All members of the Northeast Conference and the Pioneer Football League shall participate in the Division I-AA Football Championship, if eligible and selected for participation, and members of those conferences that participate in the Division I-AA Football Championship also shall not participate in the Gridiron Classic during the same year. The Gridiron Classic may be conducted on the same weekend as the Division I-AA Football Championship, provided there is no conflict in the time of the contests.

17.11.5.2 Annual Exemptions
(i) Gridiron Classic. Participation in the Gridiron Classic held between representatives from the Northeast Conference and the Pioneer Football League.

Nov. 18, 2006 Gridiron Classic (PFL Champion @ NEC champion)

kardplayer
September 25th, 2006, 09:16 PM
If I'm reading that correctly, the Playoffs take preference over the gridiron classic.

Thus, if Albany were to go undefeated the rest of the way, the 2nd place team would play against the PFL rep...

September 25th, 2006, 09:42 PM
If I'm reading that correctly, the Playoffs take preference over the gridiron classic.
Thus, if Albany were to go undefeated the rest of the way, the 2nd place team would play against the PFL rep...Nov. 18, 2006 Gridiron Classic (PFL Champion @ NEC champion)

UNHknowledge
September 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Well,
1. Teams from the NEC do not belong in the same poll as PFL and MAAC teams. The MAAC and PFL are true non-schollie. NEC hasn't been for years.
2. Albany has played a tougher schedule and that gets them a bigger nod in the top 25. Voters for the "mid-major" poll see the loss while USD has none.

Thanx Ralph...well I wish USD the best, they seem to have a really good thing going whether they are playing a weak schedule or not.

kardplayer
September 25th, 2006, 11:10 PM

All members of the Northeast Conference and the Pioneer Football League shall participate in the Division I-AA Football Championship, if eligible and selected for participation, and members of those conferences that participate in the Division I-AA Football Championship also shall not participate in the Gridiron Classic during the same year. The Gridiron Classic may be conducted on the same weekend as the Division I-AA Football Championship, provided there is no conflict in the time of the contests.

17.11.5.2 Annual Exemptions
(i) Gridiron Classic. Participation in the Gridiron Classic held between representatives from the Northeast Conference and the Pioneer Football League.

I read this as: priority 1, the playoffs, with the best remaining representatives playing in the Gridiron Classic..

danefan
September 25th, 2006, 11:24 PM
This issue is unclear...but the way I see it (and many will agree)....if an NEC or PFL team gets selected for an at-large bid they would more than likely forego playing in the Gridiron Classic.

Even though its the week before the playoffs, why would you play an extra game instead of preparing for your first round oppononent?

That is of course assuming that at-large selection takes place before the Gridiron Classic occurs.

September 25th, 2006, 11:37 PM
This issue is unclear...but the way I see it (and many will agree)....if an NEC or PFL team gets selected for an at-large bid they would more than likely forego playing in the Gridiron Classic.
Even though its the week before the playoffs, why would you play an extra game instead of preparing for your first round oppononent?
That is of course assuming that at-large selection takes place before the Gridiron Classic occurs.At-large selections are made AFTER the Gridiron Classic occurs.

Nov. 19, 2006 Selection Sunday
Nov. 25, 2006 I-AA Playoff Opening Round

danefan
September 25th, 2006, 11:43 PM
At-large selections are made AFTER the Gridiron Classic occurs.

Nov. 25, 2006 I-AA Playoff Opening Round

Selection Sunday is Nov. 19, 2006

HaHa. xlolx xlolx Well that ruins my theory.

So say just for sake of argument if Albany (pick Monmouth or San Diego if it makes you feel better) runs the table and wins the NEC of PFL. Do they forego the Gridiron Classic with the hope they get an at-large? Because if I understand it correctly if you go the Gridiron Classic you are ineligible for an at-large. :confused: :confused:

SO ILLmatic
September 25th, 2006, 11:59 PM
It says the teams from the NEC and PFL shall not participate in the Gridiron Classic if they are to participate in I-AA Playoffs.

What if one of the teams from these conferences decides to forego the game because they feel they have a chance to get an at-large bid. So they stay at home during the classic game and they wait for the playoff announcements. But they find out the next day that they did not get an at-large bid. Seems like there should be some way to notify these teams so they dont have to give up the opportunity to play the classic, based on their hunches they have about the playoffs.

September 26th, 2006, 12:54 AM
... Seems like there should be some way to notify these teams so they dont have to give up the opportunity to play the classic, based on their hunches they have about the playoffs.The Gridiron Classic was initiated by the NEC and set up to give their champion a postseason game while they ramped up to be playoff worthy. The commishes said so on I-AA WAVES. As I said last week on WAVES, I wonder if the NCAA will not choose an NEC team for an at-large based on this arrangement. They say they want the best teams so we'll see. Obviously playing in the GC will nullify a playoff bid.

No way will they let a team know before the last gameday of the regular season that they will be chosen.

I'll try to get P. Viverito to clarify this once again for you on WAVES.

kardplayer
September 26th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Ralph -

Thanks for being on top of this stuff (as always).

And I agree - there's no way to tell someone that they're in, when there are still multiple other playoff worthy teams with games to play, autobids to be determined, etc.

bluehenbillk
September 26th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Though Matt Dougherty has acknowledged it, I doubt I'm the only one who has notice the stability of the Sportsnetwork.com polls. After reviewing the Sportsnetwork.com poll beginning with the preseason poll, there appears to what I will refer to as the Elite 12 – New Hampshire, App. St., Furman, Montana, Illinois St, Richmond, Youngstown St, UMASS, Hampton, UNI, and McNeese St. These 12 teams have held spots in the top 16 since the preseason. I selected 16 as a magic number for the obvious reason. I predict all of the Elite 12 to win this week except UNI. Though we’ve only played 4 weeks of football, I bet that 11 of these Elite 12 teams will be in the playoffs (I doubt we will see UNI in the postseason). If UNI can keep it close (i.e, not lose by more than 30) they will probably remain in the top 16. I just thought it was interesting.

I certainly wouldn't put Hampton, UNI & McNeese with those other schools.