PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 5

carney2
September 22nd, 2013, 11:10 AM
Ivys beat up on the truly hapless Patriots.

Week 5 – September 28, 2013

FORDHAM @ St. Francis (PA)

New Hampshire @ LEHIGH

Princeton @ GEORGETOWN

Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL

HOLY CROSS @ Dartmouth

Bye: COLGATE – McCarney expected to play but Biddle has invoked the cone of silence.

Bye: LAFAYETTE – The Pards attempt to get their gruntle back as the faithful are as disgruntled as I’ve ever seen them. Necktie party at Bourger.

Patriot League vs. OOC:

AAC 1-0
CAA 2-4
Ivy 2-4
Mountain West 0-1
NEC 3-4
Pioneer 2-1

Most Impressive Win of the Week:

LEHIGH 29, Princeton 28 – Came back from 22-3 behind at the half.

Most Disappointing Loss of the Week (Tie):

Yale 39, COLGATE 22 – With McCarney or without McCarney doesn’t seem to make much difference.

Monmouth 21, HOLY CROSS 14 – Stuff ‘em back in the casket.

Standings (Fordham counts):

Fordham 4-0, 0-0
Lehigh 3-0, 0-0
Bucknell 1-1, 0-0
Georgetown 1-3, 0-0
Holy Cross 1-3, 0-0
Lafayette 0-3, 0-0
Colgate 0-4, 0-0

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2013, 11:17 AM
I think this wee is pretty straight forward and reflects what everyone has been saying about the Patriot League this year.

Fordham wins

Lehigh loses because we won't be able to play the full game that we need to to win this game.

an the rest of the Patriot League takes it on the chin. I may be too heavily influenced by a bad PL showing yesterday.

Princeton beats Georgetown

Sacred Heart beat Bucknell

Dartmouth beat Holy Cross

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
A thorough re-gruntling in Pardsville could take years and cost thousands of lives.

Pard4Life
September 22nd, 2013, 11:20 AM
The most surprising result to me yesterday was Bucknell's beat down.

Skyhawk71
September 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Fordham @ Saint Francis
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
Princeton @ Georgetown
Sacred Heart @ Bucknell
Holy Cross @ Dartmouth

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
I'll wait to see the injury reports but I think this week is pretty cut and dry. HC/Dartmouth is really the only one that needs some serious thought.

Lehigh should hang in with UNH. Unfortunately, I can't see them winning without playing a perfect game and receiving some help from UNH. I'm guessing the line will be 10-14 points.

RichH2
September 22nd, 2013, 11:23 AM
Fordham rout
UNH in a shootout
Princeton easily
BUCKNELL, EH WHY NOT
Cross found a QB now need to find some speed

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2013, 11:34 AM
4-3 Last Week, 14-10 on the Season

Fordham 42 St. Francis 27 - St. Francis is not the pushover they once were. The Rams win but the Red Flashes make them work for it.....

Princeton 34 Georgetown 10 - The Tigers get their revenge from last year. The Hoyas might be FCS Bottom 10 worthy....

Sacred Heart 30 Bucknell 20 - I was on the Bison Bandwagon for 2 minutes and 41 seconds yesterday afternoon.....

Dartmouth 27 Holy Cross 24 - I'll take the home team

UNH 48 Lehigh 38 - Lehigh has the weapons on offense to make this interesting. Unfortunately, they don't have the defense to win without getting some turnovers.

DFW HOYA
September 22nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
Princeton 34 Georgetown 10 - The Tigers get their revenge from last year. The Hoyas might be FCS Bottom 10 worthy....

One PL team gets clocked by Cornell and is an up an comer. One team gets clocked by Brown and is Bottom 10 worthy?

Because the Lehigh Valley press only mentions Georgetown when it is absolutely necessary, three things to know about this 1-3 team:

1. Its two best defensive players have been injured for the past two weeks.
2. Its leading rusher did not play Saturday.
3. Its leading receiver from 2012 transferred out and no one has stepped forward to take over the role.

That having been said:

1. The offensive line is too small. Isaiah Kempf was sacked 7 times by Brown.
2. The defensive line is too small. Georgetown has not managed a sack in three weeks and had 1 TFL in the entire Brown game.
3. The rushing game is lacking and Kempf does not have time to seek receivers going long.

Out-recruiting other PL teams could help solve these issues. Oh, wait...

carney2
September 22nd, 2013, 01:12 PM
FORDHAM @ St. Francis (PA) – Not even a speed bump for the Rams

New Hampshire @ LEHIGH – Over early and over often.

Princeton @ GEORGETOWN – See UNH @ Lehigh above.

Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL – The only interesting game of the week.

HOLY CROSS @ Dartmouth – Cheer up Crossers, you’re merely one of five Patriot League teams that stink.

hawkineer
September 22nd, 2013, 01:35 PM
Over early and over often.
Here I thought you would reserve this phrase for describing Laughing-at-it's last several football seasons.;)

UNHWildcat18
September 22nd, 2013, 03:25 PM
UNH wins 41-20 Lehigh has barely gotten by 3 non playoff quality teams. UNH should have won at CMU and Crushed the PL champs from last year. I don't see this being a shootout.

Ivytalk
September 22nd, 2013, 03:27 PM
Fordham @ Saint Francis
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
Princeton @ Georgetown
Sacred Heart @ Bucknell
Holy Cross @ Dartmouth

Agreed.xthumbsupxxsalutex

Kramer
September 22nd, 2013, 03:59 PM
UNH wins 41-20 Lehigh has barely gotten by 3 non playoff quality teams. UNH should have won at CMU and Crushed the PL champs from last year. I don't see this being a shootout.

Well said. UNH will be too strong. Do you think you guys will win the CAA?

Kramer
September 22nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
Fordham
UNH
Princeton
Sacred Heart
Dartmouth

citdog
September 22nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Well said. UNH will be too strong. Do you think you guys will win the CAA?

whatever. you guys

jayhawkdaddy
September 22nd, 2013, 05:52 PM
Fordham @ Saint Francis
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
Princeton @ Georgetown
Sacred Heart @ Bucknell
Holy Cross @ Dartmouth
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/progress.gif

bonarae
September 22nd, 2013, 06:03 PM
New Hampshire @ LEHIGH
Princeton @ GEORGETOWN
Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL
HOLY CROSS @ Dartmouth

Unfortunately, 2nd week of PL meltdowns may be underway...

Bill
September 22nd, 2013, 06:49 PM
I’m 16-8 so far in the pickem’s….certainly no Jimmy the Greek here.

I'd love to pick Lehigh over UNH...but after witnessing our defense against Princeton I am afraid...very afraid. I also think we look very slow- in numerous positions.

FORDHAM @ St. Francis
New Hampshire @ LEHIGH
Princeton @ GEORGETOWN
Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL
HOLY CROSS @ Dartmouth

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Colgate and Lafayette should play a scrimmage in Easton. Clearly, both schools have some work to do.

In the alternative, I'm picking Bye and Open Date against the Red Raiders and Leopards, respectively.

Mattymc727
September 23rd, 2013, 07:00 AM
The UNH defense seems to be much improved this year.

It seems the SOS express will be back for this game, which would make the UNH offense even scarier.

In regards to winning the CAA, I dont think UNH will. I would pick Towson at this point.

Lastly, Im surprised at the level of play by the Patriot league. Colgate looked like one of the worst teams UNH has ever played a few weeks ago. It wasnt long ago (2 years?) when the Patriot league had some pretty darn good football teams....Fordham has been really impressive so far however.

CFBfan
September 23rd, 2013, 07:18 AM

It seems the SOS express will be back for this game, which would make the UNH offense even scarier.

In regards to winning the CAA, I dont think UNH will. I would pick Towson at this point.

Lastly, Im surprised at the level of play by the Patriot league. Colgate looked like one of the worst teams UNH has ever played a few weeks ago. It wasnt long ago (2 years?) when the Patriot league had some pretty darn good football teams....Fordham has been really impressive so far however.

It seems apparent that the 2 years prior to last years 1st scholarship class in the PL were not very good as the PL teams (except FU) were out-recruited by most others including the ivies. Clearly scholarships make a difference as FU is proving on the field, hopefuly a bad year does not hurt the 2nd scholarship class.....

Franks Tanks
September 23rd, 2013, 08:36 AM
Fordham can beat St. Francis by 70 if they feel like it.

Lehigh's luck will run out againt UNH.

Princeton will crush the Hoya's

Sacrd Heart will beat up the Bison. (If they don't the Leopards are really in trouble)

I will take the Crossers is a squaker over the Big Green.

R3TRO
September 23rd, 2013, 09:23 AM

If true, I can't wait to see Jimmy O carry the ball!

Fordham
September 23rd, 2013, 10:05 AM
Give me the full PL sweep again.

This St Francis game is the definition of a trap game. Hope we come to play. Their performance v W&M certainly give pause.

Would LOVE to see the engineers pull this off, setting up (hopefully) a battle of unbeatens up at Rose Hill.

RichH2
September 23rd, 2013, 10:11 AM
FWIW

Massey UNH 38 LU 27
Bassett LU 38 UNH 31

World
September 23rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
Lehigh - 46
UNH - 42

ngineer
September 23rd, 2013, 10:19 AM
The most surprising result to me yesterday was Bucknell's beat down.

Wasn't the key there turnovers--6 I think? Not sure is was a physical beat down as opposed to self inflicted wounds, although I acknowledge some turnovers are caused by the defense and not just 'gimmes'.

ngineer
September 23rd, 2013, 10:21 AM

This St Francis game is the definition of a trap game. Hope we come to play. Their performance v W&M certainly give pause.

Would LOVE to see the engineers pull this off, setting up (hopefully) a battle of unbeatens up at Rose Hill.

That would be very cool. That's a scenario where you would need more seats than available. Do they have capability of bringing in temporaries to expand by 3,000 or so?

van
September 23rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
FORDHAM over St. Francis (PA), trap game or not, Rams are just that good

New Hampshire @ LEHIGH, should be a great game at Goodman, great weather, great atmosphere, lot of free parking, just terrific

Princeton over GEORGETOWN, tigger has some great players

BUCKNELL, going out on a limb with home team here

HOLY CROSS over Dartmouth, sort of a toss up in my mind but not giving up on Crossers just yet

ngineer
September 23rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
I think St. Francis will make Fordham 'a-see' things differently in the early going, but will not be able to maintain. Rams, 38-17

The heads says Lehigh can't match up with UNH, however I've seen the heart of team that never quits. Mountain Hawks will need a break or two, but that's usually how upsets occur. I'm counting on some adjustments to be made after three weeks in and Lehigh wins in another nail biter as we have a 'redux' of 2011. Engineering Mountain Hawks, 44-41.

Princeton was quicker than Lehigh in all phases...in the first half. The multiple QBs are very athletic, and tough RB, will give Hoyas fits. Tigers, 35-10

SHU/Buck U should be tight. Coming down to winner making least mistakes. Bison were mistake prone at Cornell. I predict Susan (ad)dresses rather than skirts the issue and the Bison win in a defensive struggle, 17-14.

Gilmore will have his charges up for his former employer and become 'eco-friendly' by 'going Green' better by a TD, 28-21.

Leotards will be repairing their shredded pantyhose. OL in shambles.

Biddle will be off consulting with Bailey and Banks to have his jewels appraised.

Bill
September 23rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
ngineer

I realize it's nit-picking, but Gilmore only worked at Dartmouth - he didn't go there. Tom graduated from Penn!

ngineer
September 23rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
ngineer

I realize it's nit-picking, but Gilmore only worked at Dartmouth - he didn't go there. Tom graduated from Penn!

You are correct. Tom was an assistant at Dartmouth before coming to Lehigh. Forgot about that...doesn't change my pick, though! (;-)

jdb037
September 23rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
Wasn't the key there turnovers--6 I think? Not sure is was a physical beat down as opposed to self inflicted wounds, although I acknowledge some turnovers are caused by the defense and not just 'gimmes'.

Yes, the 6 turnovers were key. I imagine I felt like a Leopard fan during that debacle of a game in 2011 where they committed 7 turnovers in a 39-13 loss to the Bison. That was a result of snow while this was a result of rain. Still no excuse for the way our guys handled the ball especially for a team who the past few years has done a great job at minimizing mistakes. As we know, this doesn't necessarily win you games but it certainly keeps you in games

Cornell returned two of the turnovers for touchdowns (1 was a sack, fumble, touchdown and the other was a moronic fake field goal from the 5 yard line where our kicker was given the opportunity to run it in). Another fumble occurred when our starting running back, DelMauro, hurt his ankle and gave the ball up at our own thirty. Next play was a touchdown for Jeff Matthews. The last fumble that led to a touchdown was a result of the ball slipping out of Wesley's hands and Cornell recovered at the Bucknell 10. Wesley also threw a pick and we had a muffed punt so all in all, Cornell may have really only "forced" 2 or 3 turnovers but they scored 28 points off of them which was the difference. Our secondary was eaten alive by an NFL prospect and we lost our All PL DL in Sean Sellers to an injury very early on. For a team to put up 45 points on only 300 yards of offense, you know some weird things had to happen.

While this was certainly a blow that I didn't expect, it's just so Bucknell. Sacred Heart likes to run the ball and has had two cupcake weeks in row. If they are smart, they'll know that this is not the week to run the ball as the Bison lead the nation only giving up 28 yards per game.

Lehigh'98
September 23rd, 2013, 11:50 AM

Using turnovers as a reason for getting beat is like a boxer saying if it weren't for this massive cut above my eye, I'd have won the fight. Well, you got punched in the face and started bleeding. (Accidental headbutts excluded)

Sader87
September 23rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
I think the theme this year is going to be who can come up with the most creative excuse for why your particular school lost last week.

Mine this week is the "Fitton night game curse"...0-3 now.

Lehigh'98
September 23rd, 2013, 12:03 PM
FORDHAM 49 @ St. Francis (PA) 20 - Too good

New Hampshire 48 @ LEHIGH 21 - Will continue to pick against my squad as it seems to be working

Princeton 31 @ GEORGETOWN 21 - Rivaling Harvard/Brown for academic excellence matchup of the week.

Sacred Heart 14 @ BUCKNELL 21 - Just win baby!! The league can hardly handle another depressing OOC L.

HOLY CROSS 36 @ Dartmouth 20 - HC seems to play better on the road.

Bye: 24 COLGATE – 13. Colgate's D giving up points everywhere

Bye: 19 LAFAYETTE 23 – Pards get their first W.....if only it counted

BluBengal07
September 23rd, 2013, 12:33 PM
New Hampshire @ LEHIGH
Princeton @ GEORGETOWN
Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL
HOLY CROSS @ Dartmouth

Kramden
September 23rd, 2013, 01:08 PM
I think St. Francis will make Fordham 'a-see' things differently in the early going, but will not be able to maintain. Rams, 38-17

The heads says Lehigh can't match up with UNH, however I've seen the heart of team that never quits. Mountain Hawks will need a break or two, but that's usually how upsets occur. I'm counting on some adjustments to be made after three weeks in and Lehigh wins in another nail biter as we have a 'redux' of 2011. Engineering Mountain Hawks, 44-41.

Princeton was quicker than Lehigh in all phases...in the first half. The multiple QBs are very athletic, and tough RB, will give Hoyas fits. Tigers, 35-10

SHU/Buck U should be tight. Coming down to winner making least mistakes. Bison were mistake prone at Cornell. I predict Susan (ad)dresses rather than skirts the issue and the Bison win in a defensive struggle, 17-14.

Gilmore will have his charges up for his former employer and become 'eco-friendly' by 'going Green' better by a TD, 28-21.

Leotards will be repairing their shredded pantyhose. OL in shambles.

Biddle will be off consulting with Bailey and Banks to have his jewels appraised.

i wish you luck going with your heart but saw the Princeton game and saw the athleticism of UNH against Colgate and just don't see how Lehigh stays with them. But, that's why they play the game.

TheValleyRaider
September 23rd, 2013, 06:41 PM
Strong week at 5-2, up to 13-11 for the year

Fordham at St. Francis Fordham A more intriguing game that you would expect at first glance. The Red Flash have shown little fear in their scheduling over the last couple of seasons, though have correspondingly little wins to show for it. Their tight loss at JMU suggests they might be dangerous, especially getting the Rams to travel out to Loretto (of course, JMU could also be slightly overrated). Fordham will need their wits about them, though if they are prepared, as they have been this season, no reason they wouldn't win comfortably. Incidentally, I realize there are two St. Francis schools in D-I, but given the NY Terriers don't play football, not sure why people make the distinction like that. Just a thought

New Hampshire at Lehigh New Hampshire Certainly the most intriguing game this weekend, at least in terms of what it means for the League this year. Lehigh is Fordham's fellow unbeaten traveler, though by a substantially different path. Tight wins over less-regarded competition has drawn skepticism from the rest of the PL's fans, and not without reason. Huge opportunity for the Hawks, as a win at home against the CAA Wildcats would certainly make the statement they deserve to be considered closer to Fordham than the rest of the League. On the other hand, this habit they've developed of falling behind early, that's not going to fly against a talented UNH team. Another subplot, UNH grabbed one of the last playoff spots from Lehigh last year, so in several ways this could be a substantial feather in the proverbial cap for Coen's cardiac crew.

Princeton at Georgetown Princeton Great though they may have looked against Lehigh for stretches, the Tigers still lost that game. And, by the by, took a tough loss to this Hoya squad just one year ago. Welcoming Princeton to their friendly confines, Georgetown has a chance to make a statement and work their way back into the muddle that represents the PL's pre-conference-schedule title race. Of course, past results aside, the Hoyas do not look to be as good as their most recent vintage, so I'll wait before getting too optimistic.

Sacred Heart at Bucknell Bucknell What to make of either of these teams? On the one hand, the Bison looked pretty solid in their first game before appearing slightly overmatched in their second. The Pioneers, meanwhile, have one PL victory already this year, and will be hungry for more. Their 2013 also includes mimicking the Bison's win over Marist before beating up on a pair of lower-division patsies. In short, this is a dangerous squad. I'm going out on a bit of a limb here taking BU, but I'll sport some conference pride, believe in the Bison to hold onto the ball, and hope playing in Lewisburg makes the difference.

Holy Cross at Dartmouth Dartmouth I actually wavered quite a bit on this one. Dartmouth squeezed out a road win against Butler, which doesn't really inspire great confidence, but the Crusaders followed up their break-out performance with another stinker at home against Monmouth. After several seasons in the doldrums Big Green has posted 3 straight Ivy campaigns right around .500, which sounds solidly middle-tier to me. The question then becomes, is Holy Cross a middle-tier team? Under Gilmore, before 2012? I would have said yes, though that would have coincided roughly with Dartmouth's run at the bottom. Right now? Not a great bet, though, as always, I'll be rooting for success against the Ancient 8.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2013, 12:25 AM
i wish you luck going with your heart but saw the Princeton game and saw the athleticism of UNH against Colgate and just don't see how Lehigh stays with them. But, that's why they play the game.

Lehigh is considerably more athletic than Colgate, especially at the skill positions. What Lehigh lacks is size in key areas.

Fordhamanhattan
September 24th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Couple notes from Fordham's Homecoming. Tino Martinez (a Tampa Jesuit graduate) whose daughter attends Fordham was in the Homecoming tent on Saturday before the Sandman's Sunday grand Bronx finale. It reminded me of when Derek Jeter was at Fordham football games his rookie year as he was dating a member of Fordham's dance team. He would come to tailgates with Jorge Posada and Shane Spencer. Fordham seems to be attracting a lot of athletes children e.g., Patrick Ewing, Willie Randolph. Andrew Spanarkel, Trebucky Jones Jr. and Andrew Erenberg on this year's squad are all offspring of professional athletes. It helps to be in NY.

CFBfan
September 24th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Lehigh is considerably more athletic than Colgate, especially at the skill positions. What Lehigh lacks is size in key areas.

are you serious?? I watched the Princeton game and LU did NOT look athletic....the Tigers were far more athletic then LU. If this is true it is not a "compliment" to LU it as and indicment of Gate. I did see a Gate game and would completely disagree with you, Gate lacks size NOT athleticism.

dystopiamembrane
September 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Rankings:
1. Fordham
2. Lehigh
3. Holy Cross
4. Lafayette
5. Bucknell
6. Colgate
7. Georgetown

Predictions:
St. Francis (PA) 28-38 Fordham
Lehigh 28-38 New Hampshire
Georgetown 16-35 Princeton
Bucknell 21-24 Sacred Heart
Dartmouth 24-16 Holy Cross

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM
are you serious?? I watched the Princeton game and LU did NOT look athletic....the Tigers were far more athletic then LU. If this is true it is not a "compliment" to LU it as and indicment of Gate. I did see a Gate game and would completely disagree with you, Gate lacks size NOT athleticism.

You honestly think Colgate has a player like Kurfis at wr? Really?!? Their wr's are nowhere near as good as Lehigh's. Likewise with the DL. LU's is quick but undersized.

Go read the 'Gate board. Lack of athleticism and offensive creativity major gripes....

crusader11
September 24th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Rankings:
1. Fordham
2. Lehigh
3. Holy Cross
4. Lafayette
5. Bucknell
6. Colgate
7. Georgetown

Boy, is the league bad this year.

ramMan
September 24th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Couple notes from Fordham's Homecoming. Tino Martinez (a Tampa Jesuit graduate) whose daughter attends Fordham was in the Homecoming tent on Saturday before the Sandman's Sunday grand Bronx finale. It reminded me of when Derek Jeter was at Fordham football games his rookie year as he was dating a member of Fordham's dance team. He would come to tailgates with Jorge Posada and Shane Spencer. Fordham seems to be attracting a lot of athletes children e.g., Patrick Ewing, Willie Randolph. Andrew Spanarkel, Tebucky Jones Jr. and Andrew Erenberg on this year's squad are all offspring of professional athletes. It helps to be in NY.

Adding to your list, pro golfer Vijay Singh's son goes to Fordham.

RamRay
September 24th, 2013, 11:23 AM
FORDHAM over St. Francis; Red Flash puts up points, Rams put up more

LEHIGH over New Hampshire; Home field advantage...and Lehigh keeps pulling rabbits out of hats

PRINCETON over Georgetown; Just not the Year of the Hoya

BUCKNELL over Sacred Heart; home team has the edge

HOLY CROSS over Dartmouth; Close, but the Purple People Eaters get their grove on

Sandlapper Spike
September 24th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Fordham -- this could be closer than expected
New Hampshire -- I don't think Lehigh can escape again
Princeton
Sacred Heart -- not sure about this one
Holy Cross --mild upset pick

Fordhamanhattan
September 24th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Rams revenge the Maroon 5's loss to my grammar schoolmate Jim Baron by clobbering the Red Flash 56-0 (by the way, my mother's father was orphaned and raised by the good nuns at the Mount Loretto orphanage in Staten Island)
the live free boys over the erstwhile engineers 45-21
On his birthday, I favor F. Scott's gentlemen over the once Romans 35-7
Bucknell should 23-22
as my godfather went to Dartmouth and my old friend Budd Schulberg, I'm going to take them over the Worcestor Hilltoppers 34-33
So that is the way it is!@

carney2
September 24th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Rankings:
1. Fordham
2. Lehigh
3. Holy Cross
4. Lafayette
5. Bucknell
6. Colgate
7. Georgetown

As good as anything I've seen. Despite Lehigh's 3-0 start you can throw 2 thru 7 in a hat and draw them in any order you like.

And 'sader11 is correct. The Patriot League absolutely stinks this year.

Go, Fordham! 11-0, Top 10 and some noise in the playoffs.

As for who else can be a Fordham with scholarships? Lehigh and Colgate. That's about it.

ColgateTD
September 25th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Fordham
UNH
Princeton
Bucknell
Holy Cross

Big break of the week: 'Gate goes undefeated this Saturday :)

18-6 so far

Sader87
September 25th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Kind of quiet, and far too "on topic", here this week with both the Pards and Red Raiders on idle Saturday.

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Kind of quiet, and far too "on topic", here this week with both the Pards and Red Raiders on idle Saturday.

I'm considering limiting my future AGS involvement to a single post during Lafayette-Lehigh week that reads, "Lehigh smells like do-do."

crusader11
September 25th, 2013, 03:10 PM

It was kind of fun the past couple of weeks joking how we all suck, with the exception of Fordham, and Lehigh to an extent, I guess. But, now it's just plain sad.

Sader87
September 25th, 2013, 03:17 PM
It was kind of fun the past couple of weeks joking how we all suck, with the exception of Fordham, and Lehigh to an extent, I guess. But, now it's just plain sad.

Hey, I've been doing it for 25+ years lol.....xrotatehx

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Damn. We coulda been in Division III.

RichH2
September 25th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Not to worry one Chicken Little or another will start up again soon

Sader87
September 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I really think this and the next year or two are going to be, for lack of a better term, "growing pains" for the Patriot League.

We are like that guy who was in great shape in high school and maybe college that got fat and lazy in his cushy desk job and finally decided to get back in shape after having a heart attack on the 14th hole of his country club.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2013, 03:26 PM
My Chrome upgrade has ruined everything. Just sayin'.

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I'll post the lines as soon as they're up. That might generate some discussion.

I won't be posting any lines or picks involving I*y teams - not until the pseudo-H***ard person who posts their pick 'em thread gets the week count right. "Separate but equal" went out in the 50s.

Sader87
September 25th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I wonder if Ted Cruz picks Ivy games not involving Princeton, Yale or Harvard????

blackbeard
September 25th, 2013, 03:34 PM
St. Francis (PA)
New Hampshire
Princeton
Sacred Heart
HOLY CROSS

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I wonder if Ted Cruz picks Ivy games not involving Princeton, Yale or Harvard????

You mean to suggest that there are others?

Sader87
September 25th, 2013, 03:37 PM
You mean to suggest that there are others?

Isn't Colgate in the Ivy League???

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Isn't Colgate in the Ivy League???

As with children, colleges should not be named after consumer products. Except in Idiocracy.

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2013, 04:00 PM
The only other potential hijack tangent for this thread comes from carney2's original opening statement -

Biddle has invoked the cone of silence.

Feldon vs Hathaway; "Smart phones"; The Color of Fear; it's a fertile area.

Time's yours.

Sader87
September 25th, 2013, 04:32 PM
"We missed joining the Big East by that <-----> much." Or, "Would you believe the Atlantic 10? The CAA? No? How about a football-only affiliation in the NESCAC????"

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2013, 04:40 PM
"We missed joining the Big East by that <-----> much." Or, "Would you believe the Atlantic 10? The CAA? No? How about a football-only affiliation in the NESCAC????"

That's the second most astute post I've read since last Thursday.

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Week 5 Sportsbook:

Co***ll (-3½) at Y**e

Fordham (-12½) at St. Francis

Monmouth (-7½) at Co***bia

New Hampshire (-8½) at Lehigh

Pri***ton (-14) at Georgetown

Villanova (-18½) vs P**n

Bucknell (-1) vs Sacred Heart

Da***outh (-9) vs Holy Cross

Ha***rd (-12) vs B***n

* Some terms are masked due to their offensive content - ed.

Go...gate
September 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I must have missed something. What did the Ivy do wrong this time?

RichH2
September 25th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Not really sure, but they have riled the Bogus to a righteous rage:D

Go...gate
September 26th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Is this the Ted Cruz thing, where he said that when he was at Law School, he never studied with anyone who did not go to Harvard, Yale or Princeton?

There are a lot of law students that think that crap matters. A lot of them are presently unemployed or about to be.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2013, 07:04 AM
No, no - much more banal than that. Just football. I*y kicked our collective asses once again all the while complaining about the Patriot version of merit aid. And my pet peeve: the person who does the I*y pick 'em assumes that I*y is so notably distinct that their peculiar calendar has achieved a status worthy of general recognition and adoption. We're in Week Five of the FCS season. Not Week Two.

I've never claimed for a moment that these off-tangent rants were in any way rational, mind you.

Go Green
September 26th, 2013, 08:01 AM

We did one thing right--we're getting games on television.

In addition to all those Lehigh games that the Ivy is airing on NBC, the Ivy (or at least Dartmouth) just announced that some more games are going to be carried on Fox College Sports (presumably FCS-Atlantic).

The Dartmouth-Holy Cross game this Saturday evening is one of them.

Again--you're welcome, Patriot League. No need to thank us for putting you on television. :)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2013, 08:53 AM

In addition to all those Lehigh games that the Ivy is airing on NBC, the Ivy (or at least Dartmouth) just announced that some more games are going to be carried on Fox College Sports (presumably FCS-Atlantic).

Again--you're welcome, Patriot League. No need to thank us for putting you on television. :)

It is kind of telling that the most exciting, televisable games of yours are Ivy/PL matchups :). Though that works in reverse, too. CBS Sports Network covered Ivy games at PL venues, too, in past seasons.

I'm sure the CBS folks are keeping their fingers crossed that Lehigh and Fordham win this weekend, as a battle of undefeated teams would be be awesome for that game in the Bronx. It's already a hot ticket thanks to how well Fordham is doing.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2013, 09:05 AM

No, you can thank us, actually. Ivy hired Lafayette's media coordinator to handle the entire league, which heretofore had been stuck somewhere in the silent film era. Throw a fistful of IvyBucks at him and, voilà! xwhistlex

If not for Lafayette, Ivy would never have been on television at all over much of the last decade.

NB: The guy who is "getting games on television" for Ivy posts on the Lafayette Message Board. So be nice.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Crusader fans - Some of you might appreciate this:

http://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/super-page/bc-bro-says-football-teams-be-a-dude-slogan-is-sexist/

;)

Sader87
September 26th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Crusader fans - Some of you might appreciate this:

http://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/super-page/bc-bro-says-football-teams-be-a-dude-slogan-is-sexist/

;)

OMG....manna from heaven!!!! If only we were still actual football rivals of BC....

carney2
September 26th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Sader87 complained that this week's thread isn't being properly hijacked. Here's an attempt.

I've been convinced for a while now that a big problem in Patriot League football is the coaching. The ADs seem to have a thing about hiring lifers. On the day they make the hiring decision they envision that time down the road when they will give the guy a gold watch at his retirement dinner. Stability. That's what they want.

Winning. That's what most of the rest of us want. IMO, the best chance of that comes from hiring young, dynamic coaches with their eye set on the next rung of the coaching ladder. So, they move on in 4, 5, 6 years. In order to make that happen they had to accomplish something. When they leave you hire a new 30 something guy and start the process over again.

Just look at the coaches:

BUCKNELL - Joe Susan was hired as a senior citizen and caught the last coaching trolley of his life. Like the rest of these guys he'd like to win, but he doesn't need to in order to feed his family. In Buffalo they neither know nor care if he's winning or not. The order has already been placed for the gold watch.

COLGATE - Dick Biddle acted as if he wanted out a few times, but that train has left the station. Another lifer.

FORDHAM - An exception to the Patriot League "rule" here. Joe Moorhead is relatively young and most can envision him moving on. Those that think that the alumnus thing will keep him on board are probably misreading the tea leaves.

GEORGETOWN - Kevin Kelly didn't leave Navy to become a lifer at Georgetown, but has been trapped by an underfunded, under-supported program. He's more likely to get fired before he retires, but he is in no position to be moving up.

HOLY CROSS - Tom Gilmore is another guy who didn't take the job with any ideas of staying forever. Unfortunately, his best chance of moving up graduated with Dominic Randolph. If he's not a lifer, he's certainly stuck in neutral.

LAFAYETTE - Frank Tavani is the poster boy for my thesis. He's building his retirement account at a school where firing the coach is perceived as placing an improper emphasis on athletics. The retirement dinner is planned. All they need is the date.

LEHIGH - At 49, Andy Coen is in the best position of any to move out and up. It needs to happen relatively soon though before he gets trapped by father time.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Gilmore was on the list for Yale's HC job. Twice.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM
How old is Bob Heffner? Any chance of dragging him back to Pardsville as HC?

carney2
September 26th, 2013, 10:40 AM

Frank Tavani won't be leaving for a few years. At that point I'm sure there will be a "search." AD McCutcheon seems to like "seasoned" coaches, so why not. I'm betting however, that John Loose would have the inside track. Perhaps either Heffner or Loose would be OK. They certainly know the rules: "Win, but don't win too much." They've both seen what happens to anyone who doesn't toe that line. (Tavani had a few good years and the administration just ripped away his equivalencies, leading to the current morass.) Still, if this program has any true meaning I think the hire should be a young, fire breathing, upwardly mobile guy who needs to win to fulfill his dreams.

As a 1979 graduate of Temple I'm guessing Heffner's age in the low to mid 50s. That would put him in the Joe Susan class - looking for that one and only head coaching job before it's too late.

Go Green
September 26th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Gilmore was on the list for Yale's HC job. Twice.

A popular theory on the Ivy boards is that Gilmore is waiting for Penn's Bagnoli to retire so he (Gilmore) can take over his alma mater.

Franks Tanks
September 26th, 2013, 10:49 AM

Heff is about 56. If offered the LC head coach job, I believe it would be a difficult decision for him but he would take the job. I believe he really enjoys his current job, but it may be his last chance to be a head coach which has to be a factor.

Loose may be good as well. He is a smart and energetic guy who would be a good recruiter, good manager and be able to perform all of the other tasks that go along with the job well (media, donors etc.).

Given a choice between the two I would take Heff, although some new blood may not hurt either. Frank is a Russo desciple, and Bill arrived on college hill in 1981. 32 years without a full scale regime change.

Sader87
September 26th, 2013, 10:52 AM
My beef with the PL coaching, and as a coach myself I'm loathe to harp on coaches, is that it seems that the assistants are very underpaid. Maybe this is an institutional thing, I really don't know, but it seems like HC has lost a fair amount of good assistants over the last decade or so to programs that are lateral for the most part i.e. other FCS programs.

Franks Tanks
September 26th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Frank Tavani won't be leaving for a few years. At that point I'm sure there will be a "search." AD McCutcheon seems to like "seasoned" coaches, so why not. I'm betting however, that John Loose would have the inside track. Perhaps either Heffner or Loose would be OK. They certainly know the rules: "Win, but don't win too much." They've both seen what happens to anyone who doesn't toe that line. (Tavani had a few good years and the administration just ripped away his equivalencies, leading to the current morass.) Still, if this program has any true meaning I think the hire should be a young, fire breathing, upwardly mobile guy who needs to win to fulfill his dreams.

As a 1979 graduate of Temple I'm guessing Heffner's age in the low to mid 50s. That would put him in the Joe Susan class - looking for that one and only head coaching job before it's too late.

If you are looking for that young, hungry type I would nominate Damian Wroblewski.

http://www.scarletknights.com/football/coaches/wroblewski.asp
(http://www.scarletknights.com/football/coaches/wroblewski.asp)
1999 Lafayette Graduate. 3x all league selection at offensive line. He is currently the OL coach at Rutgers, and very well respected. Spent a few years at Delaware as OL coach/Asst Head Coach/Recruiting coordiantor.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Given a choice between the two I would take Heff, although some new blood may not hurt either. Frank is a Russo desciple, and Bill arrived on college hill in 1981. 32 years without a full scale regime change.

FWIW Lehigh never had a "full-scale regime change" in the entire time I've been alive. The only one I'm not sure about is Hank Small, but going all the way back to Dunlap everyone has been a "Lehigh guy". Whitehead was under Dunlap. Small was (I think) under Whitehead. Higgins was under Small. Lembo and Coen were both under Higgins (and Small).

Bill
September 26th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Chuck - I will ask around more, but Hank came to Lehigh from Brown. I don't think he and Whitehead ever coached together....but I could be wrong. More investigating to do!

crusader11
September 26th, 2013, 11:33 AM
3-4 last week and 15-9 on the year...

FORDHAM @ St. Francis (PA) -- Some think this game will be competitive. I don't think so. If Fordham shows up, they will win by 20+

New Hampshire @ LEHIGH -- Don't know what I'd do if Lehigh manages to win this game. Hope they do. Don't see it.

Princeton @ GEORGETOWN -- Princeton comes into this one ticked off after choking last week's game away against Lehigh.

Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL -- Sacred Heart beat Lafayette at Lafayette. I guess they must be a decent club, but I'm going with the home team here.

HOLY CROSS @ Dartmouth -- Gilmore hates Teevens. Teevens hates Gilmore. Purple over Green in an old fashioned rock fight as 4-Acre would say.

Sader87
September 26th, 2013, 11:34 AM
A quick interjection for my picks that I also posted at CROSSPORTS....15-9 so far:

It's Thursday....finished my homework/research as it were:

Fordham 31 Red Flashes 20 Very tempted to go with an upset here but I think the Rams get out of Loretto with a hard fought win.

UNH 38 Lehigh 24 A game that I think the score will make it seem closer than it was. UNH calls the dogs off in the 4th.

Princeton 28 GTown 16 Hoyas rebound to a degree from their debacle in Providence. But they simply are too banged up and not as athletic as Ole Nassau.

Bucknell 20 Sacred Heart 17 Bucknell's loss on the banks of the Cayuga was self-inflicted to a great degree. SHU is decent but I see the Bison ekeing this out at Christy Mathewson.

Holy Cross 30 Dartmouth 27 Gut feeling that Macomber wins this one with his leg. The kid has been a tremendous P/K and deserves a game winner.

Go Green
September 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Gilmore hates Teevens. Teevens hates Gilmore.

I've heard this many times, but never understood it. There was a dust-up at the end of a HC victory at Memorial Field a few years back when some players got chippy and maybe the coaches said something to each other as well. But the whole thing seemed ilke a big nothingburger a few weeks later.

What's the story for the bad blood between Teevens and Gilmore?

Having played for both, I can tell you that their styles are very similar. Both are intense guys.

crusader11
September 26th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Week 5 Sportsbook:
Da***outh (-9) vs Holy Cross

Shocked by the line of this game. Thought Dartmouth would be favored by 4-6.

BET THE RANCH ON THE CROSS!

Franks Tanks
September 26th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I will be surpised if Bucknell beats Sacred Heart. They have a huge line and an excellent RB (way better than anyone in the PL right now with the possible exception of the Fordham kid).

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Chuck - I will ask around more, but Hank came to Lehigh from Brown. I don't think he and Whitehead ever coached together....but I could be wrong. More investigating to do!

Yeah, that was the one I wasn't sure about. If so, he would be the only exception since Whitehead, though, which is still saying something.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2013, 12:46 PM
A stray thought on Lehigh/UNH.

Let's say the game is tied, say, 35-35 with 8 minutes to go. Does UNH still win?

I ask because I think the justification for UNH winning this game seems to involve some sort of 3+ TD deficit by halftime that Lehigh won't be able to recover from, since UNH is a strong, Top 25, CAA team. Certainly that happened vs. Colgate, and I wouldn't rule it out here. But let's say it's a tight game throughout, nobody being up by more than a score. Doesn't that favor Lehigh, based on the way they've been winning games?

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2013, 03:15 PM
If you are looking for that young, hungry type I would nominate Damian Wroblewski.

1999 Lafayette Graduate. 3x all league selection at offensive line. He is currently the OL coach at Rutgers, and very well respected. Spent a few years at Delaware as OL coach/Asst Head Coach/Recruiting coordinator.

I remember him. That might be the best choice of all (given that Troxell isn't exactly lighting the world on fire).

carney2
September 26th, 2013, 03:22 PM

1999 Lafayette Graduate. 3x all league selection at offensive line. He is currently the OL coach at Rutgers, and very well respected. Spent a few years at Delaware as OL coach/Asst Head Coach/Recruiting coordiantor.

No way! Can't spell it. Can't pronounce it. These message boards would grind to a halt.

Lehigh'98
September 26th, 2013, 03:25 PM

Let's say the game is tied, say, 35-35 with 8 minutes to go. Does UNH still win?

I ask because I think the justification for UNH winning this game seems to involve some sort of 3+ TD deficit by halftime that Lehigh won't be able to recover from, since UNH is a strong, Top 25, CAA team. Certainly that happened vs. Colgate, and I wouldn't rule it out here. But let's say it's a tight game throughout, nobody being up by more than a score. Doesn't that favor Lehigh, based on the way they've been winning games?

The longer LU can hang around, the more confidence they will get that they can play with UNH, which I'm not sure even they really believe ATM. If they have a tie score in the 4th, there's no guarantee they will win, but given their mental toughness the last couple years, the odds definitely increase. This, as we know though, isn't a game that they can come out flat and expect to see any rabbits in the 4th qtr.

carney2
September 26th, 2013, 03:52 PM

And let's say pigs fly. Does Lehigh still suk?

PAllen
September 26th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Alright, it's Thursday, so time to chime in. After my pathetic attempt at picking a PL sweep last week, I'm convinced, the PL is weak this year. That said, Fordham and Lehigh win this week, everyone else, not so much. UNH is good, but I'm betting that Colgate is just that bad.

Go...gate
September 26th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Sader87 complained that this week's thread isn't being properly hijacked. Here's an attempt.

I've been convinced for a while now that a big problem in Patriot League football is the coaching. The ADs seem to have a thing about hiring lifers. On the day they make the hiring decision they envision that time down the road when they will give the guy a gold watch at his retirement dinner. Stability. That's what they want.

Winning. That's what most of the rest of us want. IMO, the best chance of that comes from hiring young, dynamic coaches with their eye set on the next rung of the coaching ladder. So, they move on in 4, 5, 6 years. In order to make that happen they had to accomplish something. When they leave you hire a new 30 something guy and start the process over again.

Just look at the coaches:

BUCKNELL - Joe Susan was hired as a senior citizen and caught the last coaching trolley of his life. Like the rest of these guys he'd like to win, but he doesn't need to in order to feed his family. In Buffalo they neither know nor care if he's winning or not. The order has already been placed for the gold watch.

COLGATE - Dick Biddle acted as if he wanted out a few times, but that train has left the station. Another lifer.

FORDHAM - An exception to the Patriot League "rule" here. Joe Moorhead is relatively young and most can envision him moving on. Those that think that the alumnus thing will keep him on board are probably misreading the tea leaves.

GEORGETOWN - Kevin Kelly didn't leave Navy to become a lifer at Georgetown, but has been trapped by an underfunded, under-supported program. He's more likely to get fired before he retires, but he is in no position to be moving up.

HOLY CROSS - Tom Gilmore is another guy who didn't take the job with any ideas of staying forever. Unfortunately, his best chance of moving up graduated with Dominic Randolph. If he's not a lifer, he's certainly stuck in neutral.

LAFAYETTE - Frank Tavani is the poster boy for my thesis. He's building his retirement account at a school where firing the coach is perceived as placing an improper emphasis on athletics. The retirement dinner is planned. All they need is the date.

LEHIGH - At 49, Andy Coen is in the best position of any to move out and up. It needs to happen relatively soon though before he gets trapped by father time.

Having hired and had to fire people, I kind of hope they are good enough to be lifers. That implies that they have done/are doing their jobs well.

Go...gate
September 26th, 2013, 05:36 PM

35-35, 8 minutes left, my money is on Lehigh. Sounds like that Delaware game at Newark some years back when the Engineers won 42-35.

Pards Rule
September 26th, 2013, 07:44 PM

That would be my pick as a replacement..

Pards Rule
September 26th, 2013, 07:48 PM

All of his doings involve double or triple OT!!

RichH2
September 26th, 2013, 08:31 PM
All of his doings involve double or triple OT!!
and apparently Dr.Seuss, we now know his major was in fairies and myths.

ngineer
September 26th, 2013, 09:47 PM
FWIW Lehigh never had a "full-scale regime change" in the entire time I've been alive. The only one I'm not sure about is Hank Small, but going all the way back to Dunlap everyone has been a "Lehigh guy". Whitehead was under Dunlap. Small was (I think) under Whitehead. Higgins was under Small. Lembo and Coen were both under Higgins (and Small).

No, Small came from outside...at one time at Brown, and also had some NFL experience I believe. All other HC's since Dunlap had prior Lehigh connections as assistant. Not bad thing since they were known quantities and had proven themselves with accomplishment. At the same time, they were familiar with the demands required of a PL student-athlete, as opposed to someone coming from a place where all the players had to think about was football. Small was hired by Whitehead, who resigned to become the Athletic Director after longtime AD Leckonby retired. Small was recognized as an offensive genius, but he ignored defense, placing the best athletes on offense. Higgins was the DC under Small and suffered with that philosophy and upon taking over for Small, started placing an emphasis on defense and the results were stunning once he got his system in place. Cecchini, the current OC for Lehigh, was All-American WR under Small in 1993.

ngineer
September 26th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Back to topic. Lehigh can only win this game by playing the first quarter with fourth quarter intensity...and not burn out. Weather forecast looks stupendous, so long as not serious wind, it could be high scoring to say the least. LU has to take some risks on defense to create some TO's to shift momentum or hopefully some extra scores. Taking risks can open one up for a quick strike the other way, but I don't see how we can win playing a 'vanilla' D. Opportunities will occur on offense, so we need to 'hold' UNH to 30 points or under to have a shot.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2013, 10:34 PM
No, Small came from outside...at one time at Brown, and also had some NFL experience I believe. All other HC's since Dunlap had prior Lehigh connections as assistant. Not bad thing since they were known quantities and had proven themselves with accomplishment. At the same time, they were familiar with the demands required of a PL student-athlete, as opposed to someone coming from a place where all the players had to think about was football. Small was hired by Whitehead, who resigned to become the Athletic Director after longtime AD Leckonby retired. Small was recognized as an offensive genius, but he ignored defense, placing the best athletes on offense. Higgins was the DC under Small and suffered with that philosophy and upon taking over for Small, started placing an emphasis on defense and the results were stunning once he got his system in place. Cecchini, the current OC for Lehigh, was All-American WR under Small in 1993.

Thanks for clarifying! He was the only link I wasn't sure about. It's pretty amazing, actually, when you think about it. Lafayette too, as detailed by the Pardvillians, mostly has "kept it in the family" as well.

I wonder if Bucknell, Holy Cross, etc. mostly keep coaches in the family as well. Kelly was definitely an outsider for the Hoyas, replacing Benson, who resurrected the G'Town program. Gilmore was an outsider (a Lehigh guy, actually) replacing a family of HC coaches that was in place for decades at least. Bucknell I'm not sure about, but Susan spent a lot of time in Bucknell before heading to Rutgers. The only program that has gone through a lot of different coaches has been Fordham.

RichH2
September 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM
From Leckonby only he, Dunlap and Small were not "Lehigh" guys. As Leck recruited me, I feel a maudlin moment coming on.
OK, Question for LU is can we hang on long enuf to make it a game? Will UNH be like us and be sluggish to start game ,coming off a bye week? Beautiful day and big crowd.

ngineer
September 26th, 2013, 11:39 PM
From Leckonby only he, Dunlap and Small were not "Lehigh" guys. As Leck recruited me, I feel a maudlin moment coming on.
OK, Question for LU is can we hang on long enuf to make it a game? Will UNH be like us and be sluggish to start game ,coming off a bye week? Beautiful day and big crowd.

Yes, I will be disappointed if we don't have 10,000 considering the projected weather. Leck was a character. He helped me pull a practical joke on my wife back around 1980 or so that had her thinking I was going to re-enroll at Lehigh, as I still had two years of eligibility, to be a fill-in place kicker!

Pards Rule
September 27th, 2013, 05:00 AM
and apparently Dr.Seuss, we now know his major was in fairies and myths.

He's a self promoting egotist..one of the worst to come along in the US Senate. His fellow Republicans hate him and John McCain gave him a dressing down the other day I would pay to watch on cable!!!

Go Green
September 27th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Yes, I will be disappointed if we don't have 10,000 considering the projected weather.

Ditto for Dartmouth-Holy Cross. Should be the largest crowd for that game in a while.

Fordhamanhattan
September 27th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I think Senator Cruz has done great service for this country. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

carney2
September 27th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Lafayette too, as detailed by the Pardvillians, mostly has "kept it in the family" as well.

Not so much. Not sure where your information came from, but

Jim McConlogue (1958-1962) was coach at a local high school

Ken Bunn (1963-1966) was head coach at Juniata College

Harry Gamble (1967-1970) was a line coach at Penn before coming to Lafayette

Neil Putnam (1971-1980) was the OL coach at Yale

Bill Russo (1981-1999) was the head coach at Wagner

Frank Tavani (2000-Present) was the first recent internal hire, being promoted from Russo's staff.

Fordhamanhattan
September 27th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Saint Francis has a fellow on their oline who tips the scales at 401. That's a lot of lbs. Apparently likes his groceries. He has quick feet and quick hands too, or so it seems.

CFBfan
September 27th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Saint Francis has a fellow on their oline who tips the scales at 401. That's a lot of lbs. Apparently likes his groceries. He has quick feet and quick hands too, or so it seems.

what's your point?

DFW HOYA
September 27th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Agree with Carney that most schools tend to look outside for coaches. Georgetown's last five head coaches:

Mike Agee (1966-67): Washington State, first time coach

Mush Dubofsky (1968-69): HS coach in Pittsburgh, but was a Georgetown assistant in the 1930's

Scott Glacken (1970-92): Asst. at Georgetown

Bob Benson (1993-2006); DC at Johns Hopkins

Kevin Kelly (2006-) Asst. at Navy

Fordhamanhattan
September 27th, 2013, 08:22 AM
I guess fellows of that size are not unusual at state supported institutions like Stony Brook, but I find it unusual. If I carried that much weight I certainly wouldn't want to walk around the concrete plazas that give Stony Brook its particular charm.

JimboCBA72
September 27th, 2013, 08:30 AM
It is kind of telling that the most exciting, televisable games of yours are Ivy/PL matchups :). Though that works in reverse, too. CBS Sports Network covered Ivy games at PL venues, too, in past seasons.

I'm sure the CBS folks are keeping their fingers crossed that Lehigh and Fordham win this weekend, as a battle of undefeated teams would be be awesome for that game in the Bronx. It's already a hot ticket thanks to how well Fordham is doing.

As a public service to all you Lehigh fans who travel so well, next week also happens to be Family Weekend on Rose Hill. Some of our better crowds have occurred on similar wkends in the past. Furthermore, the NFL has announced that they will have one of their Super Bowl experience trucks in the lot as part of its promotion for this year's SB. A ticket to this game could be hard to get so you might want to share these factoids with other LU fans

Fordhamanhattan
September 27th, 2013, 08:54 AM
As I know that you guys are dying for more Fordham lore as we are burnishing our horns. Two Fordham assistant coaches who went on to greater glory: Frank Leahy and Vince Lombardi.

jdb037
September 27th, 2013, 09:00 AM

Brother, Ryan Hill, is a senior PG on the basketball team at Bucknell

Lehigh Football Nation
September 27th, 2013, 09:08 AM
As a public service to all you Lehigh fans who travel so well, next week also happens to be Family Weekend on Rose Hill. Some of our better crowds have occurred on similar wkends in the past. Furthermore, the NFL has announced that they will have one of their Super Bowl experience trucks in the lot as part of its promotion for this year's SB. A ticket to this game could be hard to get so you might want to share these factoids with other LU fans

Consider it noted. I did already link on Facebook to your ticket site because I told people it's going to sell out fast, but I'll be sure to remind folks.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Not so much. Not sure where your information came from, but

Jim McConlogue (1958-1962) was coach at a local high school

Ken Bunn (1963-1966) was head coach at Juniata College

Harry Gamble (1967-1970) was a line coach at Penn before coming to Lafayette

Neil Putnam (1971-1980) was the OL coach at Yale

Bill Russo (1981-1999) was the head coach at Wagner

Frank Tavani (2000-Present) was the first recent internal hire, being promoted from Russo's staff.

Interesting, guess I was wrong. I thought Russo had some Lafayette ties when he was hired, though? I could be wrong about that. Note I included Coen in the Lehigh coaching family though technically he was hired away from Penn.

GaelsFootball
September 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Fordham @ St. Francis (PA)

New Hampshire @ Lehigh

Princeton @ Georgetown

Sacred Heart @ Bucknell

Holy Cross @ Dartmouth

Southsider
September 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Yes, I will be disappointed if we don't have 10,000 considering the projected weather. Leck was a character. He helped me pull a practical joke on my wife back around 1980 or so that had her thinking I was going to re-enroll at Lehigh, as I still had two years of eligibility, to be a fill-in place kicker!

I just don't see it happening. Celtic Fest is this weekend so that will get lots of attention...........and, as always, more than a dozen games on the boob tube. Believe me, I hope I am wrong!

Franks Tanks
September 27th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Interesting, guess I was wrong. I thought Russo had some Lafayette ties when he was hired, though? I could be wrong about that. Note I included Coen in the Lehigh coaching family though technically he was hired away from Penn.

Not that I am aware of. I believe Russo spent his formative years as an assistant at Brown (his alma mater) before taking over at then D-III Wagner.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 27th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Not that I am aware of. I believe Russo spent his formative years as an assistant at Brown (his alma mater) before taking over at then D-III Wagner.

Were Hank Small and Russo at Brown at the same time?

Incidentally Lehigh's school colors are rumored to have been chosen from those of Brown University. Thought that should be added. :D

Fordhamanhattan
September 27th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Today's Fordham alumni from the distaff side are two Amandas, the socialite Hearst and the motion picture star Seyfried.

Bill
September 27th, 2013, 10:52 AM

Franks & LFN
I believe Russo wasn't a coach (unless it was a student assistant) at Brown...although he went there. I think he coached down the road at Providence (before they dropped football) and then Wagner. I'm pretty sure he and Hank were not at Brown at the same time.

PAllen
September 27th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Uh, didn't Providence College drop FB in 1941?

ngineer
September 27th, 2013, 11:17 AM

Thanks--already got my seat on the bus and ticket. Looking forward to it!!

ngineer
September 27th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I just don't see it happening. Celtic Fest is this weekend so that will get lots of attention...........and, as always, more than a dozen games on the boob tube. Believe me, I hope I am wrong!

Forgot about the Celtic Fest going on over in 'Betlem'....however, it is 'Homecoming Weekend', though most alums, if they have to make a choice for travelling any great distance 'home' will do so for the Lafayette game, as opposed to this one.

PAllen
September 27th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Agreed, Lehigh/Lafayette is always the real homecoming game, home or away.

Bill
September 27th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Uh, didn't Providence College drop FB in 1941?

PA - yes, that's a bad job on my part. While I never coached against Russo, I knew of/about a bit of his background...but I blew that one. I was repeating the information from a 2012 Morning call article located here: http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lafayette/index.ssf/2012/09/bill_russo_reminisces_on_his_c.html They mentioned Providence, but unless it was the club team, that can't be right! Providence fielded a club football team as recently as 1987...

carney2
September 27th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Were Hank Small and Russo at Brown at the same time?

Could have been. They both graduated in 1969. Unfortunately, while Russo graduated from Brown, Small graduated from Gettysburg College.

Since I seem to be your fact checker today, I will send you a bill for my services.

Leopard Loyalist
September 27th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Fordham @ St. Francis (PA)

New Hampshire @ Lehigh

Princeton @ Georgetown

Sacred Heart @ Bucknell

Holy Cross @ Dartmouth

Bill
September 27th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Carney

Franks & LFN
I believe Russo wasn't a coach (unless it was a student assistant) at Brown...although he went there. I think he coached down the road at Providence (before they dropped football) and then Wagner. I'm pretty sure he and Hank were not at Brown at the same time.

My facts weren't good enough for you ? xpeacex

Lehigh Football Nation
September 27th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Doing pretty well overall handicapping the league thus far. 5-2 last week, incorrectly assuming Lafayette would continue to own Penn and Colgate was any semblance of the team they were last season. Still, loving my 17-7 record thus far this season.

New Hampshire 41, Lehigh 34. Read why here. (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/09/game-4-breakdown-new-hampshire-at.html)

Fordham 30, St. Francis (PA) 21. This is what passes for a classic letdown situation this week with Fordham, with a big nationally-televised battle next weekend. The Red Flash are a better team than they've been, but aside from North Dakota State Fordham is one of the hottest teams in the country.

Princeton 28, Georgetown 13. Would love to be wrong about this game, but until Wharton comes back, I'm having a hard time seeing the Hoyas win these types of games. Plus, Princeton's tough.

Bucknell 24, Sacred Heart 20. Playing a hunch, against all reason, that the Pioneers aren't as good as they've shown, and that the Buffaloes are not as bad as they've shown. (Of course, last week I played a hunch with Lafayette and lost. Still, I'm feeling this one.)

Holy Cross 19, Dartmouth 16. This will be the most emotionally charged game of the evening. And when a game is emotionally charged, I have a hard time going against Gilmore.

CrusaderBob
September 27th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Holy Cross' last 6 coaches covering almost 40 years ...

- Neil Wheelwright (76 - '80) had been the head coach at Colgate
- Rick Carter ('81 - '85) had been the head coach at Dayton (D-III at the time).
- Mark Duffner ('86 - '91) was the Defensive Coordinator at HC under Carter
- Peter Vaas ('92 - '95) was the Notre Dame Quarterbacks coach but was the QB at HC from '71 - 73
- Dan Allen ('92 - '03) was the head coach at BU but was the Offensive (?) Coordinator under Duffner
- Tom Gilmore ('04 - 'present) was the defensive coordinator at Lehigh

So no clear preference for Holy Cross roots.

Now the picks. Not optimistic for the PL this week.

Fordham
UNH
Princeton
Bucknell
Dartmouth

Tribal
September 27th, 2013, 05:09 PM

When, exactly, did W&M play St. Francis? Think you meant JMU.

Southsider
September 27th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Forgot about the Celtic Fest going on over in 'Betlem'....however, it is 'Homecoming Weekend', though most alums, if they have to make a choice for travelling any great distance 'home' will do so for the Lafayette game, as opposed to this one.

Also, I think Liberty H.S. plays Beth Cath at 1 p.m. This will not help attendance either

LehighU11
September 27th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Sadly, Lehigh hasn't drawn 10,000+ for a non-Lafayette game since 2006 when they had three straight games with crowds of 10,600+ against Harvard, Bucknell, and Gate. We've only hit 9000 a handful of times since then as well. 7500 were at the home opener against UNH two years back.

8500 would be a decent crowd considering recent years' figures and Celtic Fest going on across the River.

van
September 27th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Sadly, Lehigh hasn't drawn 10,000+ for a non-Lafayette game since 2006 when they had three straight games with crowds of 10,600+ against Harvard, Bucknell, and Gate. We've only hit 9000 a handful of times since then as well. 7500 were at the home opener against UNH two years back.

8500 would be a decent crowd considering recent years' figures and Celtic Fest going on across the River.

Several local guys playing for UNH, maybe visitor side fills out more than normal.

Southsider
September 28th, 2013, 07:38 AM
...and, just checked the Morning Call TV line-up. Including the LU-UNH Game, there are 27 games listed for viewing. Can you believe it! When I was growing up there was 1!

Fordham
September 28th, 2013, 07:57 AM
When, exactly, did W&M play St. Francis? Think you meant JMU.

whoops, sorry, you're right.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Dear PL Network - awesome that the Bucknell game is in HD. Looks terrific.

But you're ruining it by over-modulating the audio. Back the input gain off of 11, would you? I know you how. xtwocentsx

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Bucknell guys shouldn't scream like that unless they temper the input gain just a bit. Maybe even back your flapping tongues off the condenser a bit when it gets the better of you. It's jarring.

I thought you guys still had a semblance of an engineering school.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Buffaloes choke it up but they block the PAT.

Sacred Heart 6, Bucknell 0

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Bucknell definitely has talent on defense. When don't they? However, their offense is painful to watch. When is it not?

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Bucknell definitely has talent on defense. When don't they? However, their offense is painful to watch. When is it not?

Watching this, I have to wonder if the Bison defensive secondary can live up to what they had the past few seasons.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Five minutes 'till Crusaders vs Keggers on Fox Sports. I'll be going there. You should too.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Crusaders are really going to have to step it up a notch.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Bucknell had 29 total yards in the first half, good grief!!

blackbeard
September 28th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Dear PL Network - awesome that the Bucknell game is in HD. Looks terrific.

But you're ruining it by over-modulating the audio. Back the input gain off of 11, would you? I know you how. xtwocentsx

The HD is awesome!

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 07:00 PM
The HD is awesome!

Thinking of switching back to Bucknell from the HC/Kegger game.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Watching both now. Bucknell/SHU is the better game.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Buffalodeoes just can't hang on to the ball. High and tight, guys. High and tight.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Watching both now. Bucknell/SHU is the better game.

Are you still watching this? BU's offense might be one of THE worst I've ever seen at this level. They're making SHU look like the '85 Bears.....

RichH2
September 28th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Frosh QB,doesn't help. But yeah they are really bad.

van
September 28th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Frosh QB,doesn't help. But yeah they are really bad.

How long until their D packs it in too?

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Halftime in Hanover. 14-7 Keggers.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 07:36 PM
SHU is making Bucknell look a little silly.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Temple just lost to Idaho. This is the worst Temple loss (saying a lot) since I've followed the Owls program. We are sooo bad....

Go Green
September 28th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Halftime in Hanover. 14-7 Keggers.

D-HC doesn't merit its own thread?

Heck of a grab by the HC receiver at the end of the half....

ngineer
September 28th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Temple just lost to Idaho. This is the worst Temple loss (saying a lot) since I've followed the Owls program. We are sooo bad....

Hmm. Maybe the Fordham win is losing a little lustre.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Bucknell INT. Bison QB is awful.

ngineer
September 28th, 2013, 07:44 PM

xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2013, 07:46 PM

xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

We both said if Lehigh holds UNH to less than 30 points the Hawks will win xbowx

But i picked UNH :p

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 07:46 PM
D-HC doesn't merit its own thread?

Heck of a grab by the HC receiver at the end of the half....

Done.

blackbeard
September 28th, 2013, 07:47 PM
What the he!! are the Bucknell announcers talking about? Where has there been any display of cockiness from SHU? Great announcing all game, strange exchange there.

Kramer
September 28th, 2013, 07:56 PM
What the he!! are the Bucknell announcers talking about? Where has there been any display of cockiness from SHU? Great announcing all game, strange exchange there.

i watched some of the game, and I didn't see that either. Nice win, btw.

blackbeard
September 28th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Great Job SHU, 5-0 and a sweep of PL opponents!

RichH2
September 28th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Glad to see you made it home OK. Saw a bit of game SHU a solid squad. Bucknell not nearly what I thought they cold be his year. O is pitiful.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Is Bucknell even worse than Lafayette? Could be . . .

jdb037
September 28th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Good lord

Fordham
September 28th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Hmm. Maybe the Fordham win is losing a little lustre.

If the Temple win is losing luster the 'Nova one is certainly gaining it.

(nice call on your weekly predictions)

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Again - Rams will run the table. There's no question.

crusader11
September 28th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Good lord

Fortunately for Bucknell, basketball practices started this weekend.

Sader87
September 28th, 2013, 10:42 PM
I think Lehigh beating UNH is more impressive than FU beating Temple.....there I said it.

ngineer
September 28th, 2013, 11:04 PM
If the Temple win is losing luster the 'Nova one is certainly gaining it.

(nice call on your weekly predictions)

True dat!