PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Valley Conference, Week 4

Skyhawk71
September 22nd, 2013, 07:56 AM
Rankings based on ovcball.com power rankings:
1. Eastern Illinois (3-1) NIU 43 EIU 39
Jimmy Garoppolo 34-49 450 yds 6 TD's; jumped out on NIU and forced them to fight their way back. Offense remains unbelievable, and in a conference where defense is not played, EIU may win out in shootouts every week, or their defense may be just fine in the OVC- they will stay in the Top 10, and might even move up a spot or two with Montana State loss against Stephen F. Austin- still sold on EIU

2. Tennessee-Martin (2-1) Bye
Only time will tell, but UCA win looks less impressive with their score against Missouri State, leaving at two with the bye week, and believe they remain top 25, but will have to prove themselves over the next three weeks- JSU game looks to be huge in Martin on October 5th

3. Eastern Kentucky (2-2) EKU 56 Morehead State 24
Surprised by the points EKU allowed, but this is a rivalry game from way back, and Morehead State more than likely came out juiced, 14-7 1st; 21-14 at half, and then EKU put them away in the second half, still would like some perspective on EKU defense-

4. Tennessee State (3-1) TSU 41 Tech 21
TSU goes to 1-0 in the OVC, thought that this would be a good game with Tech being at home, it was not- TSU will definitely be in the mix as the season plays out, and after being left out at 8-3 with a win over Bethune-Cookman in 2012, the Tigers may be playing with a chip on their shoulder

5. Jacksonville State (4-0) JSU 32 Georgia State 26 (OT)
I guess no one should take an FBS lightly, but I watched this game, out of my curiosity for JSU, they seemed flat, and GSU is in fact a very poor team, pulled out the win, but very unimpressive- new coaches and a new system, and with their tradition, I am not counting them out- still marking JSU-UTM game as a must win for both teams in two weeks, and since the last two meetings have been decided by less than 3 with the home team winning it should be a great game

6. Murray State (2-2) Bowling Green 48 Murray State 7
The one team I guess we will have to wait to figure out, slipped by 0-4 Missouri State (but so did UCA), destroyed Campbellsville, and lost to FBS Missouri and FBS Bowling Green- they will more than likely put up points and try to outscore people since that is the way the "Hatch" attack works- could definitely be in the mix, but will need all the calls and bounces to go in their favor

7. Tennessee Tech (2-2) TSU 41 Tech 21
I don't know what they think in Cookeville, but will Watson join Mack on the "Hot Seat" this season, I know TSU is upper tier in the conference, but truly I thought that Tech would bounce back from last season which was riddled with injuries and other problems, they finished the season with a loss to Austin Peay- will likely win some games in conference, but will it be enough to be in the mix....... I had written off the Tech v. Hampton score because they where on the road after playing Wisconsin, I have been wrong before

8. Southeast Missouri (0-3) SIU 36 SEMO 19
SEMO played well for a half, and it was a loss to a MVFC team, so don't count them out- tough losses early, always play the upper tier close, and always good for an upset- play extremely tough at home- so why did they give up home field? Because Busch Stadium is cool- that's why. If history stands true- you can throw out the records, they always play UTM tough in Cape

9. Austin Peay (0-4) Ohio 38 APSU 0
Another long year for the Govs- they have had a tough 0-4, UTK, Vandy, UTC and Ohio- 3 FBS- new stadium will be nice, but more than likely they are demoralized, and it doesn't get any easier as the season wears on

These are my thoughts, hopefully the OVC gang will jump in full force this week to give some insight- does every OVC thread have to die a slow death- I know you people are on here, and while I enjoy hearing about the MVFC, BSC, SOCON, CAA and the PL, did I just say PL- it would be cool to talk about the OVC a little more-

Cocky
September 22nd, 2013, 08:36 AM
Our defense isnt the problem its special teams and injured QBs. GSU scored 5 times with drives totaling 105 yds and one being a 75 yd pass. Four scored (taking away the long pass) with avg drives of a little over 7 yds.

Our starting QB was out last week and this week the starter was hurt early in the game. Our RBs are banged up too. This week our original number 3 started. Last week he had to come in early when the first two went down.

Still not sure where we rank but do feel (if fairly healthy) JSU can play with anyone in the conference. I have us finishing 4 with EIU and UTM on front and either EKU or TSU in 3rd.

TTUEagles
September 22nd, 2013, 08:48 AM
I mean this without any offense intended, but TSU isn't that good. TTU REALLY isn't... I really had hopes that we could go 8-4 this year, but I'll flip-flop that right now. We are loaded at WR and that's apparently about it. Can't run, can't throw, can't defend the pass. As for the hot seat question - well, Watson has done tremendous things for this program in terms of injecting a lot of $$, a lot more attention, etc. But, last night, there were some really bad moments that I think reflect on coaching. (How does a hurry-up offense get delay of game penalties right after a possession change/timeout???) Also, given TTU's history, it's hard to publicly question a coach who brought you the first conference championship in 30 years (!) just 2 seasons ago.

Skyhawk71
September 22nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
I mean this without any offense intended, but TSU isn't that good. TTU REALLY isn't... I really had hopes that we could go 8-4 this year, but I'll flip-flop that right now. We are loaded at WR and that's apparently about it. Can't run, can't throw, can't defend the pass. As for the hot seat question - well, Watson has done tremendous things for this program in terms of injecting a lot of $$, a lot more attention, etc. But, last night, there were some really bad moments that I think reflect on coaching. (How does a hurry-up offense get delay of game penalties right after a possession change/timeout???) Also, given TTU's history, it's hard to publicly question a coach who brought you the first conference championship in 30 years (!) just 2 seasons ago.

I listen to his weekly broadcast and he seems like a great guy, I didn't mean that offensively, but I just wandered what the Tech mentality would be if he has back to back bad seasons, In Martin, Simpson has already reached legend status and is the all time percentage win guy, if he had back to back bad seasons he would survive with little resistance- I assume with your comment that he is in a similar situation, Simpson has won our only OVC Championship, and while I hope he stays in Martin as long as Coach Kidd stayed at EKU, another good season, and actually making the playoffs, I think he may be gone

Cocky
September 22nd, 2013, 09:25 AM
Watson has struggled most everywhere. UAB was very happy ro lose him. Watson worked against people behind closed doors while speaking fondly of them in public. These type things get out just a matter of time.

I hope TTU keeps him for years as JSU has done their Watson time.

Skyhawk71
September 22nd, 2013, 09:31 AM
Watson has struggled most everywhere. UAB was very happy ro lose him. Watson worked against people behind closed doors while speaking fondly of them in public. These type things get out just a matter of time.

I'm really going to miss Jack, I was hoping he would stick around JSU for a few more years............

Cocky
September 22nd, 2013, 09:34 AM
He would have lost to ASU, TUNA and GSU. Jack had the ability to lose a close game.

EKU Toss Sweep
September 22nd, 2013, 10:15 AM
He would have lost to ASU, TUNA and GSU. Jack had the ability to lose a close game.

This is why many miss Jack around the OVC and think often of him with fond memories.

EKU Toss Sweep
September 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Skyhawk - There are many in Richmond that would like a little perspective on the EKU defense as well. I fear we may get some next weekend against EIU in Chucktown. No excuse for last nights game. Yes, the Colonels pulled away late but it should not have been close early. The schools are rivals in basketball but not on the football field. Even when the Head gave schollies this game was not competitive. EKU is not getting pressure on the QB and giving way too much cushion to the receivers. Morehead put up 24 on us and this is not a recipe for success against EIU.

Here's 1 Colonel fan hoping we have a whole lot up our sleeves that we have not shown through the 1st four weeks. These last 2 weeks have been ugly.

Skyhawk71
September 23rd, 2013, 07:09 PM
http://ovcball.net/2013/09/10-things-we-learned-in-week-4/

DrStrangelove
September 23rd, 2013, 10:44 PM
I believed, going into the season, that 8-4 was reachable for Jacksonville State and anything beyond that would be over-achieving. At 4-0, the Gamecocks only have to play .500 ball in the OVC to hit that number. I feel reasonably confident about beating Austin Peay on the road and SEMO at home, I think JSU loses to Eastern Illinois, and either UTM or EKU, if not both. Tennessee State will be tough but, since it's homecoming, it's a winnable game. A split with Murray and TTU gets the Gamecocks to 8-4, a sweep of both gets the Gamecocks to 9-3.

JSU isn't, and shouldn't be ranked and a playoff berth this season is not likely. But the job Bill Clark and his staff are doing has me optimistic about the future.

Cocky
September 24th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Getting Johnstone and Pope back should give us a big boost this week.

Skyhawk71
September 24th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Power Rankings: ovcball.net

http://ovcball.net/2013/09/week-five-power-rankings/

TTUEagles
September 27th, 2013, 10:22 AM

Story about Coach Brown in today's (9-27) Tennesseean

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130927/SPORTS0602/309270123/Brown-set-foundation-Vanderbilt-UAB

DrStrangelove
September 27th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Story about Coach Brown in today's (9-27) Tennesseean

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130927/SPORTS0602/309270123/Brown-set-foundation-Vanderbilt-UAB

The author of that story does so much reaching you would think he's stretching before a marathon. Any sucess Vanderbilt has had recently is largely attributed to Bobby Johnson cleaning up the mess left behind by Brown and the Vandy coaches that came after him. UAB was a start-up program when Brown got there and any progress the Blazers made during his tenure was incremental at best.

TTUEagles
September 27th, 2013, 12:27 PM
The author of that story does so much reaching you would think he's stretching before a marathon. Any sucess Vanderbilt has had recently is largely attributed to Bobby Johnson cleaning up the mess left behind by Brown and the Vandy coaches that came after him. UAB was a start-up program when Brown got there and any progress the Blazers made during his tenure was incremental at best.

I don't disagree with you, but being in the Nashville area all of my life (following Vandy) and knowing the history...Watson never had a chance when he was there. Complete idiot of an AD who, along with admin., tried to sabotage everything with football in an effort to do away it all togeteher. I agree that Bobby Johnson doesn't get NEAR enough credit for getting Vandy to where they are... No coach in VU history came into their first season with the type of roster Johnson eventually created.