PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week Four.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 22nd, 2013, 07:27 AM
I was 5-2 this week. The top two teams from last week lost some close bouts yesterday so some reshuffling is in order for this week. This is where I have it for this week.

1) UT-Chattanooga - In the money chair after Samford and Wofford's close losses
2) Georgia Southern - Only other team with one loss winds up here
3) Wofford - lost by a field goal, the only points scored in their game
4) Samford - fell to SE Louisiana in a close matchup
5) The Citadel - had an epic game against ODU
6) Appalachian State - Still undefeated against Elon since 1964
7) Western Carolina - Got a scare from Mars Hill
8) Furman - Got the week off to regroup
9) Elon - Leaves the SoCon not having won a game against ASU
Mercer - Still undefeated after three games
VMI - Another week, another loss
ETSU - their volleyball team is undefeated in conference play (current win streak is four games).

This week's predictions
Coastal Carolina @ Elon - Chanticleers prove to be too much for Phoenix
Western Carolina @ Samford- Bulldogs shake off loss by taking down Catamounts
Furman @ The Citadel - Bulldogs pickup conference win number two.
Chattanooga @ Georgia Southern (Game of the week) - Eagles soar in this epic matchup against the Mocs.
Charleston Southern @ Appalachian State - Jamey Chadwell's bid to win in Kidd-Brewer comes up short
Drake @ Mercer - Mercer starts maiden (and only) conference slate with win
Robert Morris @ VMI - VMI would not lose to Robert Morris? They would.
ETSU - Is it 2015 yet?

catamount man
September 22nd, 2013, 07:41 AM
1) utc
2) gsu
3) app
4) Wofford
5) cit
6) sam
7) cats
8) pals
9) birds

OL FU
September 22nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
I have kinda stayed out of this but I think we have seen a game to decide that at this point in the season Wofford is above GSU. Losing to GW doesn't change that any more than beating the sisters of poor changes it for GSU.xeyebrowx

OL FU
September 22nd, 2013, 08:55 AM
Coastal Carolina @ Elon
Western Carolina @ Samford
Furman @ The Citadel - If the dogs play like the first two weeks it could be close. If they play like I think they are capable, it won't be pretty.
Chattanooga @ Georgia Southern -
Charleston Southern @ Appalachian State

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 22nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
I have kinda stayed out of this but I think we have seen a game to decide that at this point in the season Wofford is above GSU. Losing to GW doesn't change that any more than beating the sisters of poor changes it for GSU.xeyebrowx

St. Francis looks to have a decent team. Wouldn't be all that surprised if they beat Fordham. They should've beaten JMU.

1. Wofford - When you have a game with a total of 3 points, something is going on. Not going to read too much into that loss.
2. Georgia Southern
3. UTC
4. Samford
5. App.
6. The Citadel
7. Furman
8. Western Carolina
9. Elon

Coastal: 41
Elon: 17

Samford: 31
Western: 14

The Citadel: 42
Furman: 35

Georgia Southern 31
UTC: 27

App. State 34
Chuck South 14

OL FU
September 22nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
St. Francis looks to have a decent team. Wouldn't be all that surprised if they beat Fordham. They should've beaten JMU.

1. Wofford - When you have a game with a total of 3 points, something is going on. Not going to read too much into that loss.
2. Georgia Southern
3. UTC
4. Samford
5. App.
6. The Citadel
7. Furman
8. Western Carolina
9. Elon

Georgia Southern 31

App. State 34
Chuck South 14

I agree. Shouldn't have said it that way......buuuuuuut the point is still the same, (as reflected by your rankingxbowx) until someone else beats WC or GSU has a more meaningful win down the road or at least a few more games seperate the WC/GSU game, it is difficult to put GSU above WC.

Apphole
September 22nd, 2013, 10:28 AM
1) GaSo
2) UTC
3) App
4) Wofford
5) Citadel
6) Sammy
7) Furple
8) Eloan
9) Western

Coastal > Elon 28-17
Samford > Western 35-21
Citadel > Furple 45-24
GaSo > UTC 31-14
App > Chuch South 37-17

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2013, 11:43 AM
wofford
GSU
Chatty
Citadel
App
Samford
Furman
Elon
Western

As usual, I can only see the top 2 and bottom 2 clearly. I don't see how GSU sitting on their butt and eating cheeseburgers this weekend warrants them a higher power ranking than Wofford. As already stated, a 3-0 game tells you that something is going on. You could make a case for Furman, Chatty, App, and the Citadel being 3rd but I don't think we'll get a clearer picture until after next week.

chattownmocs
September 22nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
wofford
GSU
Chatty
Citadel
App
Samford
Furman
Elon
Western

As usual, I can only see the top 2 and bottom 2 clearly. I don't see how GSU sitting on their butt and eating cheeseburgers this weekend warrants them a higher power ranking than Wofford. As already stated, a 3-0 game tells you that something is going on. You could make a case for Furman, Chatty, App, and the Citadel being 3rd but I don't think we'll get a clearer picture until after next week.

You sound really ignorant.

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
You sound really ignorant.

ironyyyy

SU DOG
September 22nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
wofford
GSU
Chatty
Citadel
App
Samford
Furman
Elon
Western

Wofford on top? I know this doesn't sound like a serious question, but it really is. Based on what at this point? Process of elimination, homer pick, or what? I might add that I don't have my team on top, and would probably have to say UTC right now, but that is definitely only a guess.

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2013, 12:52 PM
Wofford on top? I know this doesn't sound like a serious question, but it really is. Based on what at this point? Process of elimination, homer pick, or what? I might add that I don't have my team on top, and would probably have to say UTC right now, but that is definitely only a guess.

We are probably the only team with anything resembling a quality win, for one. Yes, we lost last night...but it was 3-0 (and to a good team) so you know something was up as pwns pointed out.

Not to mention everyone had us on top last week and the only teams anyone seems to put in front of us are Chattanooga and GSU, both who didn't play.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2013, 02:02 PM
The Citadel/Furman matchup is intriguing. The Citadel started off slow, but showed a lot of firepower (and not much defense) against ODU. They will have a long trip back to play a rested Furman team. Furman (oddly enough) leads the SoCon in rushing defense.

As a pretty ardent Furman fan, I have no idea what kind of team we have. PC was the first time I've seen the young team take a punch and then start punching back. While the 1-2 record is not sexy, by week four it is fairly apparent that Furman's first two contests were road games against pretty good teams that were both seven point losses. At some point, this young club is going to need a signature win. This might be it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is a huge game for Furman.

CID1990
September 22nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
At some point, this young club is going to need a signature win. This might be it.

That's right!

The Citadel WOULD be a signature win for the FU-CKs.

Unfortunately, Ben and DRob are going to show you their backsides all. day. long.

OL FU
September 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
That's right!

The Citadel WOULD be a signature win for the FU-CKs.

Unfortunately, Ben and DRob are going to show you their backsides all. day. long.

Sorry, but it would only be one of manyxnodx

One the other hand, I do think you will decrease your deficit to us by one this year:)

CID1990
September 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
Sorry, but it would only be one of manyxnodx

One the other hand, I do think you will decrease your deficit to us by one this year:)

We are not friends this week, FU.

We won't kill your horse this year, but we'll do every other nasty thing we can think of, you purple POS's.

ElCid
September 22nd, 2013, 02:50 PM
1 - Chattanooga - Had week off, can't screw up if you didn't play. This week should reveal whether UTC is a serious contender or not. They still control their destiny for now.
2 - Wofford - Thought they had a week off? Or was it the rain? Or is GW just that good? Yeah I want to put them behind Ga So regardless of a week ago because Wofford did not take care of business this week--at home. Whatever the reason was, they stumbled. I will give the benefit of the doubt for now. They will not be seriously challenged again until a 26 Oct matchup with Samford.
3 - Georgia Southern (not a real player) - Can't take title, but looks like they might be a spoiler for a few contenders, if they feel like it.
4 - Samford - Got behind early against a good team and just could not come all the way back. Still a team to be reckoned with.
5 - The Citadel - Played a crazy game, could not convert the 2 point conversion to win. Offensive strides made, regardless of ODU's Defense, or lack thereof. Second string O line apparently got a lot of playing time. As far as our Defense, we allowed them about the same number of yards as Ga So did the last 2 playoff games they had together. We just could not pull it out like they did. ODU just has an insane offense.
6 - Appalachian State (not a real player) - Got to figure their heart just isn't in it after almost letting Elon back in late. I think it is obvious they are preoccupied with the future because they got the talent.
7 - Furman - Their loss to GW not looking nearly as bad now, but there are obvious problems.
8 - Western Carolina - Also thought they had a week off and almost blew it.
9 - Elon - Still fighting, got to give them that, but that is about all.

Coastal Carolina @ Elon - Will Coastal get caught looking ahead to Gardner-Webb and Liberty? Maybe a little, but not much - 37-20
Western Carolina @ Samford - Samford jumps into the SOCON race with a win - 38-20
Charleston Southern @ Appalachian State - Charleston Southern off to a great start but they hit the Rock or is it a pebble now? App cruises - 35-10
Furman @ The Citadel - In their 93rd meeting Dogs take another one - 38-27
Chattanooga @ Georgia Southern - Will Ga So play spoiler to start Chatty's SOCON run? Yup - 27-20

The Cats
September 22nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
1) Wofford
2) Georgia Southern
3) UT-Chattanooga
4) Samford
5) The Citadel
6) Furman
7) Appalachian State
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina (until the win and prove don't belong here)

This week's predictions
Coastal Carolina @ Elon .
Western Carolina @ Samford (no pick on this one)
Furman @ The Citadel
Chattanooga @ Georgia Southern
Charleston Southern @ Appalachian State (Big South picks up another W against the SoCon)

Drake @ Mercer
Robert Morris @ VMI

Apphole
September 22nd, 2013, 03:19 PM
1) Wofford
2) Georgia Southern
3) UT-Chattanooga
4) Samford
5) The Citadel
6) Furman
7) Appalachian State
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina (until the win and prove don't belong here)
xrotatehx

chattownmocs
September 22nd, 2013, 06:41 PM
We are probably the only team with anything resembling a quality win, for one. Yes, we lost last night...but it was 3-0 (and to a good team) so you know something was up as pwns pointed out.

Not to mention everyone had us on top last week and the only teams anyone seems to put in front of us are Chattanooga and GSU, both who didn't play.

You got shut out. Your team is not good.

Apphole
September 22nd, 2013, 06:48 PM

UT-Martin

chattownmocs
September 22nd, 2013, 06:54 PM
UT-Martin

8-3 last year, not only won at Chattanooga but also beat UCA. UT martin is not only miles ahead of NCAT, but also Appy.

Apphole
September 22nd, 2013, 08:02 PM
8-3 last year, not only won at Chattanooga but also beat UCA. UT martin is not only miles ahead of NCAT, but also Appy.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/tee-hee.gif

walliver
September 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
1) Chattanooga - they didn't lose this week. They haven't beaten a good team yet, but they didn't lose this week. We will know a lot more about the TrainBirds after next week's game.
2) Sammy - I'm still not sold on Samford as a championship contender, but I'm keeping an open mind.
3) Wofford - Offense was horrible this week, fortunately we are still 2-0 in the SoCon
4) GSU - Big game this weekend
5) The Citadel - performed much better against ODU than expected.
6) ASU - Finally got a win, but it was Elon
7) Furman - Their real season starrts next week
8) Elon - leaves the SoCon with no championships or ASU victories
9) Western - a come from behind victory over Mrs Hill doesn't move them up much

This week:
Coastal at Elon - SoCon futility against Big South continues, CCU by 17
Western at Samford - Sammy pulls one out, but it's closer than most expect 24-17
Furman at Citadel - as much as I would like both to lose, the little dogs bite the horsey people 35-28
Chattanooga at GSU - I don't see the Igglets losing two in a row. Eagles 24-21 (possibly in OT)
Charleston Southern at ASU - not the blow-out I would have predicted before the season started, but drunken Yosef's whip the Baptist Bucs 28-10
Wofford at Bye - Terriers match last weeks offensive output.

Drake at Mercer - Mercer's 60+ year winning streak comes to an end. They're 3-0 but still a first year program
Robert Morris at VMI - Keydets probably should have moved to the SAC not the SoCon. Hopefully moving up will help their level of play, but Bob takes this one by 7
ETSU doesn't lose

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2013, 08:56 PM

When was the last time your team beat a top 25 team?

chattanoogamocs
September 22nd, 2013, 11:48 PM
When was the last time your team beat a top 25 team?

#11 The Citadel, 28-10, Charleston, SC - 9/29/12

(The Mocs have beaten at least one ranked team each year Huesman has been the head coach)

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2013, 11:49 PM
#11 The Citadel, 28-10, Charleston, SC - 9/29/12

ah, okay. I forgot about that one. For some reason I get last year and the year before confused.

chattanoogamocs
September 23rd, 2013, 12:03 AM
Huesman era vs ranked FCS teams...

09-27-09 #17 Wofford W 38-19
10-24-09 #7 @Elon L 10-45
11-07-09 #8 @Appalachian State L 20-35

09-04-10 #3 Appalachian State L 41-42
09-11-10 #5 @Jacksonville State 17-21
10-16-10 #18 Georgia Southern W 35-27
10-23-10 #25 @Furman W 36-28
11-20-10 #7 @Wofford L 14-48

09-10-11 #10 Jacksonville State W 38-17
09-24-11 #3 @Appalachian State L 12-14
10-08-11 #1 @Georgia Southern L 27-28
11-19-11 #12 Wofford L 27-28

09-08-12 #24 @Jacksonville State L 24-27
09-22-12 #17 Appalachian State L 17-34
09-29-12 #11 @The Citadel W 28-10
10-27-12 #2 @Georgia Southern L 31-39 3OT
11-10-12 #13 @Wofford L 13-16 OT

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2013, 12:08 AM
Huesman era vs ranked FCS teams...

09-27-09 #17 Wofford W 38-19
10-24-09 #7 @Elon L 10-45
11-07-09 #8 @Appalachian State L 20-35

09-04-10 #3 Appalachian State L 41-42
09-11-10 #5 @Jacksonville State 17-21
10-16-10 #18 Georgia Southern W 35-27
10-23-10 #25 @Furman W 36-28
11-20-10 #7 @Wofford L 14-48

09-10-11 #10 Jacksonville State W 38-17
09-24-11 #3 @Appalachian State L 12-14
10-08-11 #1 @Georgia Southern L 27-28
11-19-11 #12 Wofford L 27-28

09-08-12 #24 @Jacksonville State L 24-27
09-22-12 #17 Appalachian State L 17-34
09-29-12 #11 @The Citadel W 28-10
10-27-12 #2 @Georgia Southern L 31-39 3OT
11-10-12 #13 @Wofford L 13-16 OT

If I'm not mistaken, the victories over Furman and Wofford were against teams that finished the year under .500 (at least wofford).

chattanoogamocs
September 23rd, 2013, 12:10 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the victories over Furman and Wofford were against teams that finished the year under .500 (at least wofford).

Ranking at the time they played (taken from the UTC SID)

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2013, 12:25 AM
Ranking at the time they played (taken from the UTC SID)

Yeah we were,

I will say that Wofford sucks at playing at UTC though

chattownmocs
September 23rd, 2013, 01:44 AM
Yeah we were,

I will say that Wofford sucks at playing at UTC though

I say the fact the you guys have won 3 in a row is a miracle.

SpeedkingATL
September 23rd, 2013, 10:08 AM
This week's power rankings:

1) UTC - I guess it's the Mocs turn to inherit this spot. We'll see if they deserve it after this weekend.
2) Sammy - Little Sammy moves up after a loss which tells you the state of the SoCon these days. Dogs appear to finally be opening up the offense a little which makes them much more dangerous and more unpredictable.
3) Wofford - With a 60+ point loss and a shutout at the hands of Gardner Webb, the Ankle-Biters still take the #3 position on the merit of 2 SoCon wins including the big win over GaSo.
4) GaSo - For some reason the Eagles just haven't played up to their potential so far. This week is their chance to reboot as they host the Mocs.
5) THE Citadel - The Citdogs ran wild against ODU this weekend but forgot how to cover a receiver or tackle with any consistency. I will actually give them points for going for the 2-point conversion and the win. Close losses actually count in the underperforming SoCon these days.
6) App State - App finally got a win this weekend, even if it was against yearly whipping boy Elon. App played a great half, went to sleep for nearly a half and then held on for the win. Giving up 400 yards of offense to the Flames doesn't earn them much in the rankings.
7) Furman - The Furple get this spot because they actually beat a Big South team, something the SoCon has failed badly at this season which would have been unthinkable in the past. They also lose points for wearing purple.
8) WCU - I tossed a coin and The Whee get this spot over Elon. They finally won a game against a community college so that's a start. Wearing purple almost dropped them to....
9) Elon - Just a bad football team. They managed to make an App freshman RB look like Reggie Bush on Saturday at home. Give them credit for making a comeback but still it's another loss. I think there is still bad karma from their bogus "SoCon Championship Banner" from a few years ago.

This weeks games:

UTC @ GaSo - The game of the week in the SoCon. Both teams have lots of talent but the Eagles have been underwhelming and the Mocs have been playing progressively better. All indicators are that the Mocs should win BUT I'm picking the Eagles to win at home in front of a crazy crowd. Mocs miss an extra point and a field goal in the last minute to lose 31-30.
CCU @ Elon - Maybe the best team in the Big South against the worst team in the SoCon. Some years this would still be a contest but not this year. The Beach Chickens continue the Big South dominance of the SoCon and win big 38-14.
WCU @ Samford - The Whee finally won a game and Sammy lost a tough one against a good team. Plenty of free parking right next to the stadium for this one. Hundreds of fans will witness the Bullpups beat the Cants in a fairly close game 28-17.
Furman @ THE Citadel - The battle of the Palmetto State should be interesting as the Furples have played everyone close and the Citdogs have finally found their offense. Lots of Furman fans make the trip but decide to enjoy 5-star dining in Charleston and golf at The Ocean Course and Wild Dunes rather than attend the game. The Citdogs run wild at home and win this one 37-17.
Charleston Southern @ App State - When this game was scheduled most figured it was an easy home blowout for The Apps but the game looks much different today. The Bucs are 4-0 and are excited to be playing in a real football stadium with fake grass, a big scoreboard and fans. Big South teams have feasted on the SoCon this year and the Apps have not been up to their high standards as of yet. Having finally won a game last week the Apps continue their improvement and win a close one over the upstart Bucs 27-24.

CID1990
September 23rd, 2013, 10:14 AM
Not going to quote your whole post, ATL, but CSU will not be within 14 points of ASU. Their only quality win was over us, when we did everything humanly possible to lose.

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
I say the fact the you guys have won 3 in a row is a miracle.

Too bad you have no ethos to your word

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2013, 11:30 AM

2. Georgia Southern
3. UTC
4. Samford
5. App.
6. The Citadel
7. Furman
8. Western Carolina
9. Elon

Georgia Southern 31

App. State 34
Chuck South 14

Southern Pigskin plagiarized my rankings. xlolx

http://www.southernpigskin.com/steak-and-shake-socon-power-poll

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2013, 12:19 PM
Not going to quote your whole post, ATL, but CSU will not be within 14 points of ASU. Their only quality win was over us, when we did everything humanly possible to lose.

I looked at the numbers after the game, really shocking that the Citadel managed to lose that game.

Furman must come ready to play. I do think the Paladins will finally have their starting center reinstated (has been suspended the first four weeks), which will allow our offensive line to get everyone back in position (our RT has been playing center through three weeks). I also believe WR Jordan Snellings will be back in the lineup after spending most of the first four weeks injured with limited playing time. Those are two big boosts for the Paladin offense.

SpeedkingATL
September 23rd, 2013, 01:48 PM

I hope you are correct but having seen App's three games there isn't a lot of overconfidence against any opponent right now. Citdogs losing to ChuckSo was almost as big a surprise as App losing to A&T and if you saw the stats to either game you wouldn't believe the final scoreboard.

chattownmocs
September 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM
I hope you are correct but having seen App's three games there isn't a lot of overconfidence against any opponent right now. Citdogs losing to ChuckSo was almost as big a surprise as App losing to A&T and if you saw the stats to either game you wouldn't believe the final scoreboard.

NCAT killed app state. App State accumulated stats when they were way behind.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 23rd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Congratulations Chatty!

http://image7.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/products/3168117/views/1,width=378,height=378,appearanceId=22/winner-by-default-Men-Burgundy.png

Apphole
September 23rd, 2013, 02:11 PM
NCAT killed app state. App State accumulated stats when they were way behind.

Misses tying FG as time expires -- "got killed"

xrotatehx

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
Southern Pigskin plagiarized my rankings. xlolx

http://www.southernpigskin.com/steak-and-shake-socon-power-poll

I was actually surprised as Southern Pigskin historically has tried its best to shortchange woco and give GSU/App as much elbow room as possible

chattownmocs
September 23rd, 2013, 02:48 PM
Misses tying FG as time expires -- "got killed"

xrotatehx

Yeah, they went into a shell defensively and let you move the ball. They kicked your ass all day long

mountaineer in Cane Land
September 23rd, 2013, 02:56 PM
GS 28 UTC 24- everything says Chatt finally gets a big win in Statesboro, but, not so fast, pride will carry GS, and will play their best game, and ofcourse, it Chatt, they will find a way to choke, oops, I mean, lose a game where they lead late.
CCU 14 Elon 10- just picked a score out of the sky, no thought about it what so ever, I mean, who cares.
Samford 31 Western 21- Samford gets back on track against an improved Cats team
Cit 34 Furman 31- neither team has much of a defense so got to go with the home team with a better offense
App 34 CS 24- App got Price back for the Elon game and it showed how valuable he is to the team, helping the team put up 600 yds of offense, still, alot of mistakes including 2 fumbles inside Elon's redzone, playing alot of young kids, who are making many, many mistakes, CS is a good solid team, will probably keep close into the 4th.

Squealofthepig
September 23rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
The reverse is also true, in that UTC lost to at least one unranked team in each of those years - Jacksonville State last year, The Citadel is 2011, Elon in 2010, GSU in 2009, and of course every D1 team they faced in 2008.

chattanoogamocs
September 23rd, 2013, 03:29 PM
The reverse is also true, in that UTC lost to at least one unranked team in each of those years - Jacksonville State last year, The Citadel is 2011, Elon in 2010, GSU in 2009, and of course every D1 team they faced in 2008.

You include 2008? Seriously. Different coach, different program...APR sanctions, loss of scholarships.
You don't see me trying to lump in VanGorder's record with Monken's. Apples and oranges my friend.

The real point of putting up the results with all the ranked teams (good, bad, and ugly) is that you can see the progression of playing closer, more competitive games each season. Now the Mocs (and the coaching staff) need to learn how to consistently get over the hump vs ranked teams.

The fact that they lost all 10 of their DI games in 2008 (and had scholarship/practice restrictions for 2009 and 2010), goes to show how far the team has come. Any sensible college football fan would realize (outside of cutting corners) it was a loooooong haul project to come back from the Rodney Allison era (easily the worst stretch of football every played in the 100+ seasons of Chattanooga football)

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2013, 04:44 PM
You include 2008? Seriously. Different coach, different program...APR sanctions, loss of scholarships.
You don't see me trying to lump in VanGorder's record with Monken's. Apples and oranges my friend.

The real point of putting up the results with all the ranked teams (good, bad, and ugly) is that you can see the progression of playing closer, more competitive games each season. Now the Mocs (and the coaching staff) need to learn how to consistently get over the hump vs ranked teams.

The fact that they lost all 10 of their DI games in 2008 (and had scholarship/practice restrictions for 2009 and 2010), goes to show how far the team has come. Any sensible college football fan would realize (outside of cutting corners) it was a loooooong haul project to come back from the Rodney Allison era (easily the worst stretch of football every played in the 100+ seasons of Chattanooga football)

I can appreciate the road back. Furman is dealing with years of neglect and stop gap measures. Fowler's record isn't great, but he has also scraped the program down to the ground before trying to rebuild it. I think at the end of the process, the team will be better for it. The gettin' there is tough, though.

dystopiamembrane
September 24th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Rankings:
1. Wofford
2. Georgia Southern
3. Chattanooga
4. Samford
5. Appalachian State
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Western Carolina
9. Elon

Predictions:
Elon 24-40 Coastal Carolina
Samford 34-17 Western Carolina
The Citadel 31-28 Furman
Georgia Southern 35-28 Chattanooga
Appalachian State 28-17 Charleston Southern
Mercer 20-44 Drake
VMI 19-21 Robert Morris

ElCid
September 24th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Rankings:
1. Wofford
2. Georgia Southern
3. Chattanooga
4. Samford
5. Appalachian State
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Western Carolina
9. Elon

Predictions:
Elon 24-40 Coastal Carolina
Samford 34-17 Western Carolina
The Citadel 31-28 Furman
Georgia Southern 35-28 Chattanooga
Appalachian State 28-17 Charleston Southern
Mercer 20-44 Drake
VMI 19-21 Robert Morris

I am really not trying to be a smart A$$, I have a legitimate question. Are these really predictions if you just use the same computer calculations as Massey. You may have you own computer program, but they match the Massey computer calculations almost exactly to the spread and the actual points. I would hope that at least some subjective criteria would also be used when making predictions. And I may be proven wrong this Saturday, but I have to chuckle, a little bit, at putting Furman ahead The Citadel at this point. But I see that the computer has them one spot ahead as well so it must be true. Computers are a good tool, I use them as a data point, but I don't put nearly as much faith in electrons as my gray matter.

dystopiamembrane
September 24th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I am really not trying to be a smart A$$, I have a legitimate question. Are these really predictions if you just use the same computer calculations as Massey.
I believe so.
Prediction: the act of declaring or telling in advance.

CID1990
September 24th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I believe so.
Prediction: the act of declaring or telling in advance.

You are picking Furman ahead of The Citadel in the power ranking, but you are predicting that The Citadel will beat Furman?

kdinva
September 24th, 2013, 12:07 PM
This week's predictions
Coastal Carolina 27 @ Elon 13
Western Carolina 20 @ Samford 34
Furman 21 @ The Citadel 34
Chattanooga 24 @ Georgia Southern 37
Charleston Southern 17 @ Appalachian State 35

Sandlapper Spike
September 24th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Picks:

Coastal Carolina -- easily
Samford -- but WCU keeps it in doubt until late
The Citadel -- in a very close game
Georgia Southern -- probably on a blocked FG or something
Appalachian State -- by two TDs

Drake gives Mercer its first loss
VMI upsets Robert Morris

OL FU
September 24th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I am really not trying to be a smart A$$, I have a legitimate question. Are these really predictions if you just use the same computer calculations as Massey. You may have you own computer program, but they match the Massey computer calculations almost exactly to the spread and the actual points. I would hope that at least some subjective criteria would also be used when making predictions. And I may be proven wrong this Saturday, but I have to chuckle, a little bit, at putting Furman ahead The Citadel at this point. But I see that the computer has them one spot ahead as well so it must be true. Computers are a good tool, I use them as a data point, but I don't put nearly as much faith in electrons as my gray matter.

Home field Advantagexconfusedx

ElCid
September 24th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Home field Advantagexconfusedx

I hope so...wait a minute, blaaaahhhh. Sorry, I just puked. I can't figure out why.

Might have to do with purple.xblehx

xsmiley_wix

Saint3333
September 24th, 2013, 03:30 PM
What is with the App by two TDs picks? Char. So. beat Citadel and runs the triple option. App's defense is extremely young and this will be the first time 5 of our starters will have faced that offense at the college level.

App will have to score 30, at a minimum, I fear to win this weekend.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 24th, 2013, 03:56 PM
What is with the App by two TDs picks? Char. So. beat Citadel and runs the triple option. App's defense is extremely young and this will be the first time 5 of our starters will have faced that offense at the college level.

Should Charleston Southern were to knock off Appalachian State, Chadwell (an ETSU alum) immediately moves to the front of the line (to succeed Torbush at ETSU when he retires).

CID1990
September 24th, 2013, 04:31 PM

If CSU loses to you guys by less than 14 I will be very surprised.

In fact, I think both ASU and The Citadel are overdue to wake up and destroy somebody. Might as well be this weekend.

Saint3333
September 24th, 2013, 04:33 PM
So you're saying an App win and a Furman loss, that my friend sounds like a nice little weekend.

mountaineer in Cane Land
September 24th, 2013, 05:37 PM
hoping that Woody can somehow teach them enough in just a week so that we can atleast contain them. Thought at the beginning of season this would be a great team for our defense to learn how to defend the triple option, and get us ready for real option teams such as Cit and Wofford, now, really starting to worry about this game.

dystopiamembrane
September 24th, 2013, 05:39 PM
You are picking Furman ahead of The Citadel in the power ranking, but you are predicting that The Citadel will beat Furman?
Home field advantage

T-Dog
September 24th, 2013, 07:06 PM
If CSU loses to you guys by less than 14 I will be very surprised.

In fact, I think both ASU and The Citadel are overdue to wake up and destroy somebody. Might as well be this weekend.

I hope we save the destroying for next week. :D

T-Dog
September 24th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I wrote things this week. Read em. (http://www.yosefscabin.com/the-perils-of-everyweek-existence-youth-is-served-now-buc-off/)

Coastal Carolina @ Elon - Elon suffers their Super Bowl hangover.
Western Carolina @ Samford - Sammie takes care of business.
Furman @ The Citadel - I'm going with the upset here. This rivalry hasn't made sense in the past.
Chattanooga @ Georgia Southern - Chatty comes up short yet again.
Charleston Southern @ Appalachian State - No Prediction. I think we get killed though.

ElCid
September 24th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I wrote things this week. Read em. (http://www.yosefscabin.com/the-perils-of-everyweek-existence-youth-is-served-now-buc-off/)

Furman @ The Citadel - I'm going with the upset here. This rivalry hasn't made sense in the past.
Charleston Southern @ Appalachian State - No Prediction. I think we get killed though.

Well you got at least 2 wrong.xsmugx Also, no sand bagging allowed.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2013, 09:00 PM

I toyed around with this idea earlier, but i would imagine there are no two programs in the country more familiar with the triple option than App and Furman. They've seen it at least once or twice a year for decades.

Furman put out a depth chart that indicates its going to run a nickel look against the Citadel. We'll see how it goes. We are young young on the defensive front, though (young enough going into the season and our DLinemen have been dropping likes flies to injury). Not a good recipe.

CID1990
September 24th, 2013, 10:40 PM
I toyed around with this idea earlier, but i would imagine there are no two programs in the country more familiar with the triple option than App and Furman. They've seen it at least once or twice a year for decades.

Furman put out a depth chart that indicates its going to run a nickel look against the Citadel. We'll see how it goes. We are young young on the defensive front, though (young enough going into the season and our DLinemen have been dropping likes flies to injury). Not a good recipe.

If furple comes out with a nickel look we are going to run wild.

I don't know why other SoCon teams haven't paid more attention to Samford when it comes to defending the option. They have the right formula. It doesn't always work, but it definitely works against option teams without a significant passing threat.

T-Dog
September 24th, 2013, 11:27 PM
It doesn't always work, but it definitely works against option teams without a significant passing threat.

So basically all of them. xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2013, 06:00 AM

I don't know why other SoCon teams haven't paid more attention to Samford when it comes to defending the option. They have the right formula. It doesn't always work, but it definitely works against option teams without a significant passing threat.

I'm not worried about us defending the option. Again, Furman sees the option as much, if not more, than any college program in Division 1 football's modern history. They have a defensive guy running the show. They have the SoCon's top defense against the run.

I do not think Furman will have a pure nickel look. They appear to be favoring starting a more veteran athletic cornerback instead of a giant true freshman strongside linebacker whose played all of three games at the college level. I imagine we'll see a good bit of both looks.

My biggest concern in the Citadel game is the offense. We have looked bad twice, and good once. To beat a team like the Citadel we are going to have to pick up first downs and keep Ben Dupree on the sideline. I expect the game is going to be a physical one in the trenches and the outcome may rest heavily on the play of Furman's two running backs (particularly with the injury to the Bulldogs linebackers).

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2013, 06:01 AM
So basically all of them. xthumbsupx

Furman managed 51 yards passing and 182 yards against PC and won. I still don't know whether we have an offense.

I have no idea, frankly, how that is possible.

eaglewraith
September 25th, 2013, 07:33 AM
I'm not worried about us defending the option. Again, Furman sees the option as much, if not more, than any college program in Division 1 football's modern history. They have a defensive guy running the show. They have the SoCon's top defense against the run.

And we're averaging 44 pts/game against this coach/staff.

I like it.

OL FU
September 25th, 2013, 08:04 AM
And we're averaging 44 pts/game against this coach/staff.

I like it.

Yes, we have played fairly good defense against Wofford. Not against GSU at all. and only good against the Citadel in the early years of their option offense. On the other hand, we haven't had a really good defense since 2004.

eaglewraith
September 25th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Yes, we have played fairly good defense against Wofford. Not against GSU at all. and only good against the Citadel in the early years of their option offense. On the other hand, we haven't had a really good defense since 2004.

If we don't step up our blocking on the OL and the perimeter, you might leave Paulson a little happier than you did last time. I don't think you guys have a scheme problem, we've just executed really well against you at gametime.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen though.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2013, 09:44 AM
If we don't step up our blocking on the OL and the perimeter, you might leave Paulson a little happier than you did last time. I don't think you guys have a scheme problem, we've just executed really well against you at gametime.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen though.

I think Furman has more success against Wofford because the Terriers are less likely to try and attack on the perimeter (at least historically). Furman, though, had good success against the option in the Lamb era and the results are mixed in the Fowler regime.

I do think some of the success the option game has had in the recent years has been attributable to the rebuilding effort. You may recall that Georgia Southern had only 3 points at half time last season. Wofford had only 7. The Citadel had 21, but two of those scores were directly off Furman turnovers inside the 50.

The biggest achilles heel for the Paladins has been the second half. The offense is young and struggles. The defense gets run out there over and over again and tends to succumb to exhaustion by the second half (which is why you see a bunch of close games turn into routes in the fourth quarter).

I do think you are seeing that change, though. Furman looked awful against Gardner Webb, though they were quarterbacked by a true freshman in his first college game playing with a broken shoulder (and it turns out GWU is pretty good), so I kind of write that one off mentally. I did see in the second half against Coastal Furman's offense start landing punches in a game that last year would have been a second half route. Against PC, the score wasn't sexy, but the fan base is excited that our young team came out of the gates flat, and then rose up in the second half to win a game where nothing was really working. It isn't easy to come back down two touchdowns when nothing is clicking out there - you have to scratch, claw, and hope for a little luck. What I'm interested to see is whether some of those close games from 2012 start turning into wins in 2013.

longtimemocfan
September 25th, 2013, 11:27 AM

Huesman did a good job last year defending the TO. Only GSU topped the 400 yard mark (427) and they had to go through 3 ot's to get that total.

CID1990
September 25th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Huesman did a good job last year defending the TO. Only GSU topped the 400 yard mark (427) and they had to go through 3 ot's to get that total.

Yes, he did, but Samford has shut us down consistently for the last couple years.

T-Dog
September 30th, 2013, 08:25 PM

I'm bumping this thread to let everyone know that I was right.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2013, 07:26 AM
I'm bumping this thread to let everyone know that I was right.

Would you have picked CSU over App? :)