PDA

View Full Version : Should any Southern Conference teams be ranked?

dbackjon
September 21st, 2013, 11:53 PM
OOC wins for Southern Conf this year

Terrible Ga State (2)
Terrible Austin Peay
Terrible FAMU
1 point win over bad Presby
2 DII wins

Lost all other OOC games - does any team deserve a ranking?

Wofford is the only one that warrants it IMO - likely in the 20-25 range.

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2013, 12:00 AM

Terrible Ga State (2)
Terrible Austin Peay
Terrible FAMU
2 DII wins

Considering Wofford played poorly in a monsoon against a team that's proven itself to be a top 25 team so far and GSU has played well this year, I don't think it's an issue.

I'd keep Wofford in the top 20 still.

dbackjon
September 22nd, 2013, 12:02 AM
Considering Wofford played poorly in a monsoon against a team that's proven itself to be a top 25 team so far and GSU has played well this year, I don't think it's an issue.

I'd keep Wofford in the top 20 still.

GSU is not a FCS team, so they don't count. Wofford, yes 20-25 range

SumItUp
September 22nd, 2013, 12:03 AM
Good question

chattownmocs
September 22nd, 2013, 12:06 AM
You don't have to rank anyone, just understand the class of the conference is, and will prove he be, the Mocs.

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2013, 12:06 AM

But they're a southern conference team, and even if you "don't count them" they are a good measuring tool for a team like Wofford.

Wofford against FCS competition has only allowed 3 points per game. If you want to count GSU, it's less than 9. We got destroyed at Baylor, but 3 games in they scored the least on us (it was only a point but still I don't think that's indicative.)

Wofford has a defense that's on NDSU's level (I'm not afraid to say that). that's what will keep us in games. We stumbled this week, but it was in more ways than one the perfect storm. Once we get offensive identity we'll be hard to beat, but even if that takes a little while we have a defense that will keep us in games no matter who we play from here on out.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2013, 12:30 AM
You don't have to rank anyone, just understand the class of the conference is, and will prove he be, the Mocs.

He'll be here all week! Try the veal! Tip your waitresses!

Southern Bison
September 22nd, 2013, 12:33 AM

He'll be here all week! Try the veal! Tip your waitresses!

Sad part is that he only has one joke in his repertoire...himself! xthumbsupx

Squealofthepig
September 22nd, 2013, 12:44 AM

You're absolutely right - if UTC is the class of the SoCon, none of them deserve to be ranked.

dungeonjoe
September 22nd, 2013, 04:25 AM
I get the hebe jeebies every time you post.

Hey, there is parity in the SoCon this year. We are all equally below par.

mvemjsunpx
September 22nd, 2013, 06:03 AM

I think he meant that beating them counts.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2013, 06:18 AM

Terrible Ga State (2)
Terrible Austin Peay
Terrible FAMU
2 DII wins

For the record, we don't actually know if Presbyterian is bad. They probably are, but it seems fairly evident that the balance of this forum has vastly underestimated the Big South this season.

rokamortis
September 22nd, 2013, 06:38 AM
For the record, we don't actually know if Presbyterian is bad. They probably are, but it seems fairly evident that the balance of this forum has vastly underestimated the Big South this season.

And that would have been a good assumption based on previous performances. In the last 8 years the BSC would typically have one or maybe two teams that would be fairly decent, out of the mix of Coastal, Liberty, and Stony Brook with the other teams being middling at best and horrible at worst. Time will tell how good each BSC team really is (and how good / bad the SoCon really is) but with a strong start it appears that we are overcoming our historical challenges. It is a good thing and should make for an interesting battle within the BSC.

If we continue to have 2-3 strong teams at the end of the season it will be interesting to see the at-large discussion since most (all but Coastal I believe) have at least one non-DI team on the schedule. The success and playoff hopes will (perhaps) cause these teams to have full DI schedules in the future.

blueballs
September 22nd, 2013, 06:46 AM
At this point in the season I haven't seen a SoCon team, including GSU, that I think could win a playoff game.... so that by default would mean none should be in the top 16.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 22nd, 2013, 07:03 AM
Undefeated Jax State got taken to OT by Georgia State, who was pulverized by Chatty. UTC's only loss is to UTM with several key injuries, and UTM beat Central Arkansas. Does the OVC not deserve any ranked teams?

Samford lost by 3 to a team that lost by 8 to South Dakota State and played TCU very well.

As I've said before, the SoCon usually doesn't build up a good resume OOC (consider the drought in FBS wins ) but come playoff time vindicates itself. The SoCon has gone winless in the playoffs one time since 1986. I doubt it happens this year.

dbackjon
September 22nd, 2013, 08:41 AM

Not discounting the Big South - I would rank them as a whole above the So Con this year. Just don't think Presby is a good team.

SpeedkingATL
September 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
So far the SoCon has been pretty lousy, and I would have to rank the Big South higher. The option teams will still give OOC opponents problems when the playoffs roll around because it's simply hard to prepare for in a week. (that's assuming either Wofford or Citdogs get to the playoffs). UTC is likely the most skilled of the playoff eligible teams but their o-line will have big problems against good defenses.

Cocky
September 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Undefeated Jax State got taken to OT by Georgia State, who was pulverized by Chatty. UTC's only loss is to UTM with several key injuries, and UTM beat Central Arkansas. Does the OVC not deserve any ranked teams?

Samford lost by 3 to a team that lost by 8 to South Dakota State and played TCU very well.

As I've said before, the SoCon usually doesn't build up a good resume OOC (consider the drought in FBS wins ) but come playoff time vindicates itself. The SoCon has gone winless in the playoffs one time since 1986. I doubt it happens this year.
Not saying we should be ranked but GSU had two td drives that totaled 13 yds. If not mistaken one FG had zero yds. Hard to win while trying to give the game away.
JSU is not a top 25 team and isnt in my poll.

CID1990
September 22nd, 2013, 11:58 AM
The only rankings that matter are the ones at the end of the season.

Lots of football left to be played.

Wallace
September 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Wofford ranked with an eye on The Citadel and Chattanooga