PDA

View Full Version : Gannon Was Always a Chiefs' Favorite

RadMann
June 12th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Rich Gannon is fondly remembered by Chiefs fans who always favored Gannon staying on as starting QB. See article linked below:

Chiefs (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/06/07/dawes_we_remember_rich_gannon/)

Retro
June 12th, 2005, 10:46 AM
http://www.sportspicksfigures.com//images/NFL%20Retro/gannon.jpg

Kill'em
June 16th, 2005, 10:33 AM
As a lifelong Raider fan I'll miss him too.

eaglefan452
June 16th, 2005, 12:30 PM
It is unfortunate that Gannon couldn't find the kind of success he had a few years ago earlier in his career.

GannonFan
June 16th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Gannon actually did have decent success with his first team, Minnesota. After being behind Tommy "Six-Pack at Lunch" Kramer for a couple years Gannon became the starter and actually led Minnesota to an 8-3 record. However, Denny Green, in his infinite wisdom (that's actually sarcastic there) decided that the QB play was really hurting his first place team and decided to bench Gannon in favor of now-ESPN analyst Sean Salisbury, and the Vikes proceeded to crash and burn. If Dennis Green wasn't so meddlesome with success it would be interesting to see where Gannon could have led the Vikings (side note, when in Minneapolis serveral years after Gannon left Minnesota, I was in the Mall of America buying a Michigan/UD mini-helmet and the guy asked if I was a Michigan fan - I said I was really a Delaware fan and he quickly replied - "Oh year, Rich Gannon's school - great QB.") Gannon then left Minnesota, caught on with Washington for a year, but needed surgery on his shoulder and left football for a year. He actually tried out for the CFL just before getting a call from KC to go there.

DaBears
June 16th, 2005, 06:41 PM
As a Broncos fan in 1996 I was so glad they benched Gannon and replaced him with Grbac. had Gannon played that AFC Championship game, I don't think the Broncos would have made the superbowl that year. He really got the shaft because Grbac was absolutely horrible.

blukeys
June 16th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Good old Elvis no matter how many teams GAVE him a starting job, he manged to play himself out of it within one season . In 96 he had the advantage of injury so Shottenheimer thought he would be better when he got back. I agree with DaBears. Gannon would have gotten the Chiefs to the Big Game.

Ivytalk
June 17th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Gannon had a blue-collar work ethic and was a class act. He had an accurate (if not overpowering) arm and could usually pick up a few key yards for his team on the ground. I hope he stays involved with the game in some capacity.