PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Hosts Don't Know Where Fordham Is?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 21st, 2013, 09:02 AM
xlolx

DSUrocks07
September 21st, 2013, 09:04 AM
I'm surprised Herbie knew where New Hampshire was xlolx

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2013, 09:08 AM
HAHA! I saw that! And I actually knew the answer! :D I can even tell you where... the Polo Grounds.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2013, 09:09 AM
How about a "Hey Fordham made some noise too last week by becoming yet another FCS team to knock an FBS... with a miraculous last-second win over Temple."

Squealofthepig
September 21st, 2013, 09:13 AM
It's not like Fordham is right in the middle of a major media market or a large metropolis or anything.

(In all fairness, NYC is a weird sports market).

Fordham
September 21st, 2013, 09:48 AM
Didn't see it, what happened?

DSUrocks07
September 21st, 2013, 09:52 AM
Didn't see it, what happened?

Fordham got a quick mention on the show. Fowler's $100 trivia question. Last opponent Arkansas played in the northeast on the road. Herbstreit guessed New Hampshire, CF then offer $20 for where Fordham is located.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Fordham
September 21st, 2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks

Saint3333
September 21st, 2013, 10:42 AM
If you asked 90% of the people where most FCS schools are they wouldn't know. Is that important not really, but that is reality.

Mr. C
September 21st, 2013, 10:57 AM
If you asked 90% of the people where most FCS schools are they wouldn't know. Is that important not really, but that is reality.
If you are going to be talking college football on national television, you might be expected to have BASIC facts on board. It's not like Herbstreet has an Ohio State education, is it?

DoWe
September 21st, 2013, 10:57 AM
I am an FCS fan and I don't know where Fordham is either. I would google it if I cared.

Mr. C
September 21st, 2013, 11:00 AM
Maybe they should have boned up on FCS by reading College Sports Journal:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/742-fordham-writing-some-new-football-history-with-2013-start

Mountaineer
September 21st, 2013, 11:12 AM
I am an FCS fan and I don't know where Fordham is either. I would google it if I cared.

The Bronx. I went up there last year to take a peek at the campus and check-in on Foursquare. xlolx Beautiful campus, but it was all fenced off from the unwashed masses with campus police at the entrances. Had a Harry Potter Platform 9 3/4 vibe, like you close your eyes and run through.. Heh.

URMite
September 21st, 2013, 01:43 PM
Really? Maybe you don't know it for football, but you don't know it for college? I guess they wouldn't know where Columbia is either.

Engineer86
September 21st, 2013, 01:52 PM

I disagree anyone who truly follows college football knows where 90% of FCS and above schools are located.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2013, 01:52 PM

I can see next week's Game day:

"I bet you don't know where Youngstown State is located!"

"...in the state of Youngstown?"

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2013, 01:57 PM
Rams just escaped from their one-inch line. Moving the ball.

Looks like a great crowd on hand... maybe a sell-out? 9/11 Liberty Cup festivities and a close game. 10-0 Rams, third.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2013, 01:58 PM
Unbelievable... Fordham fumbled on a huge run. Columbia ball at the FU 35ish

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2013, 02:01 PM
Missed something, but now it's 17-0 rams.

Bisonwinagn
September 21st, 2013, 02:08 PM
I disagree anyone who truly follows college football knows where 90% of FCS and above schools are located.

I know where 95% of FCS and D2 schools are, but I had no idea where Fordham was...I also didn't know where Stony Brook was until a couple years ago. I'm certainly not surprised ESPN doesn't know where Fordham is.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2013, 02:11 PM
Columbia's QB Nottingham has a really good arm... and he just threw an INT, the fault of the WR though... bounces of hands. 17-0 Rams. They are taking over.

URMite
September 21st, 2013, 02:44 PM
Game day didn't know where Fordham is and I didn't know where game day is. I was going to tune in at 3:30 since I thought they were doing the game on ESPN 1. That is how little I watch FBS football.

Fordhamanhattan
September 22nd, 2013, 09:59 AM
Surprising for ESPN because many of its producers are Fordham men and one of its original broadcasters Sal Marchiano of Bristol in my rear view mirror fame is class of 63. Frankie Frisch went to Fordham grammar school, the prep and the college. He also reffed the first basketball game in 1923 at Rose Hill Gymnasium (still in use). By the way, Denzel Washington was on team when I was at Rose Hill.

ncbears
September 22nd, 2013, 11:13 AM
I know Fordham is in New York. How catholic is Fordham though?

URMite
September 22nd, 2013, 11:24 AM

Not sure, but I believe I've seen a priest on the visitors bench at Richmond.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2013, 11:28 AM

Not over the top. As someone who's not religious I would feel comfortable attending Fordham. Likewise with BC, ND, Georgetown, St. Joes' etc....

bojeta
September 22nd, 2013, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't expect the average football fan to know where Fordham is, buuuuuuuutttt, given that it is the alma mater of Vince Lombardi, for whom the pinnacle of football trophies on the planet is named..., I WOULD expect an ESPN Sports Journalist to know!!

Lehigh'98
September 22nd, 2013, 11:35 AM
Isn't Espn headquarters not too far from Fordham, in CT??

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2013, 11:40 AM
Isn't Espn headquarters not too far from Fordham, in CT??

Yup and Tony Reali has a pretty big presence on ESPN....

caribbeanhen
September 22nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
A million or so people in the BRonx don't know

Wallace
September 22nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
I visited Fordham as a potential law school student and I also know of their superb football history. Herb Smokin' Street is just loony/lippy.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2013, 01:30 PM
A subway ride from the Touchdown Club (Heisman Trophy presentation) gets you to the Bronx. Just sayin'.

DFW HOYA
September 22nd, 2013, 02:04 PM
Too much is being made about this. How many Eastern fans can quickly name the location of these schools:

Bradley?
Creighton?
Drake?

In Big 10 country where Herbstreit is from, Fordham is not exactly top of mind, either. The Rams have been to one NCAA basketball tournament since 1971 and football just hasn't been as visible outside the Northeast. In fact, there was a Twitter feed yesterday noting that Miami's 77-7 win over Savannah broke a previous margin of victory set over Fordham in 1954.

If Fordham continues to win, people will notice. Reminds me of the early 1980's when Georgetown was regularly playing in the NCAA West regional for basketball--there were people cited in a NY Post report that thought Georgetown was a HBCU from the west coast.

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Too much is being made about this. How many Eastern fans can quickly name the location of these schools:

Bradley?
Creighton?
Drake?

In Big 10 country where Herbstreit is from, Fordham is not exactly top of mind, either. The Rams have been to one NCAA basketball tournament since 1971 and football just hasn't been as visible outside the Northeast. In fact, there was a Twitter feed yesterday noting that Miami's 77-7 win over Savannah broke a previous margin of victory set over Fordham in 1954.

If Fordham continues to win, people will notice. Reminds me of the early 1980's when Georgetown was regularly playing in the NCAA West regional for basketball--there were people cited in a NY Post report that thought Georgetown was a HBCU from the west coast.

I can name them all :D I also know where Georgetown and Fordham are :p.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2013, 02:09 PM

As can I. In fact I can name the locals of every FBS school and probably 98% of FCS schools. I'm not normal though...lol

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
As can I. In fact I can name the locals of every FBS school and probably 98% of FCS schools. I'm not normal though...lol

Hehe, I'm slowly making my way to more and more campuses.

In the last 12 months I've seen these campuses or stadiums in person: NDSU, UND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Northwestern, Valparaiso, Michigan, Western Michigan, Oakland, Air Force, New Mexico, Northern Arizona, Arizona State-Tempe, Nevada-Las Vegas, UCLA, USC, Loyola Marymount, UC Davis, Southern Oregon, Oregon, Southern Methodist, Texas Christian, Washington-Seattle, Portland State, Sacramento State, SDSU, Nebraska-Lincoln, Creighton, Nebraska-Omaha, British Columbia, Simon Fraser, Manitoba, Winnipeg, University of San Francisco... I may be forgetting a few.

JALMOND
September 22nd, 2013, 02:42 PM

Whenever my fellow Duck and Beaver fans want to tell me about what Portland State should do to increase their exposure in the Oregon sports market, I tell them that until they can name all 13 Big Sky football schools, their mascots and locations of the campuses, I will refuse to listen to their opinions on the subject. I then name all 12 Pac-12 teams, although I now forget that Stanford is actually in Stanford, CA and not considered to be in Palo Alto anymore.

Laker
September 22nd, 2013, 02:50 PM

Whenever my fellow Duck and Beaver fans want to tell me about what Portland State should do to increase their exposure in the Oregon sports market, I tell them that until they can name all 13 Big Sky football schools, their mascots and locations of the campuses, I will refuse to listen to their opinions on the subject. I then name all 12 Pac-12 teams, although I now forget that Stanford is actually in Stanford, CA and not considered to be in Palo Alto anymore.

I thought that I was alone in the wilderness for liking this kind of stuff. xcoolx

Grizzlies82
September 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
xlolx

Heck, Fordham is somewhere east of the Mississippi River. Even I knew that.

In fact I've been more than an "average fan" of 1AA & FCS and there are several schools I couldn't locate on a map.
Unless they made their way into the playoffs, or made some noise elsewhere, I've not bothered to look into it.

DFW HOYA
September 22nd, 2013, 04:21 PM
In the last 12 months I've seen these campuses or stadiums in person: NDSU, UND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Northwestern, Valparaiso, Michigan, Western Michigan, Oakland, Air Force, New Mexico, Northern Arizona, Arizona State-Tempe, Nevada-Las Vegas, UCLA, USC, Loyola Marymount, UC Davis, Southern Oregon, Oregon, Southern Methodist, Texas Christian, Washington-Seattle, Portland State, Sacramento State, SDSU, Nebraska-Lincoln, Creighton, Nebraska-Omaha, British Columbia, Simon Fraser, Manitoba, Winnipeg, University of San Francisco... I may be forgetting a few.

Did you see the TCU stadium? It's one of the best new facilities out there.

Laker
September 22nd, 2013, 04:33 PM

I saw the TCU stadium back in 1987 when they had the long T over the top and the small CU underneath. It didn't look great back then, but I heard that they had fixed things. I saw SMU's stadium on the same trip- along with the dead Mustang t-shirts since they had gotten the NCAA death penalty.

I saw Mizzou's stadium about three years ago and was disappointed. With only one FBS team in the state I thought that it would be nicer. Maybe they have improved it since then. It reminded me of the old Memorial Stadium that the Gophers played in before moving to the MetroDome.

Mountaineer
September 22nd, 2013, 04:47 PM
In fact I've been more than an "average fan" of 1AA & FCS and there are several schools I couldn't locate on a map.
Unless they made their way into the playoffs, or made some noise elsewhere, I've not bothered to look into it.

*points to signature*

11,000 views and counting since 2008. xthumbsupx

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2013, 04:59 PM

Yes, I was there the day after the Armed forces bowl and the gate was open.

We asked a security guard if we could go in, and he said go for it!

very neat stadium.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/282917_10151236536337572_1858883150_n.jpg

Grizzlies82
September 22nd, 2013, 05:22 PM
*points to signature*

Mountaineer that is a nice feature on your signature line. Thanks for pointing it out.

Fordhamanhattan
September 22nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
20 Fordham grads: Alan Alda, Francis Cardinal Spellman, CIA directors Casey and Brennan, G. Gordon Liddy, John Mitchell, Governor Andrew Cuomo, Captain Kangaroo, Charles Osgood, Vince Scully, Don DeLillo, Mary Higgins Clark, Dylan McDermott, Patricia Clarkson, Denzel, ESPN Tony Reali, Mike Breen, film director Robert Mulligan(Summer of 42), General John Keane, Mario Gabelli Is that 20? I'll get back ta ya, By the way Fordham has campi in Rose Hill the Bronx no Thonx Ogden Nash. Lincoln Center and Westchester county.

Ivytalk
September 22nd, 2013, 05:49 PM
The Bronx. I went up there last year to take a peek at the campus and check-in on Foursquare. xlolx Beautiful campus, but it was all fenced off from the unwashed masses with campus police at the entrances. Had a Harry Potter Platform 9 3/4 vibe, like you close your eyes and run through.. Heh.

The Rose Hill campus is indeed attractive, and it isn't far from some dicier parts of the Bronx. Your 5 minutes on campus was well spent!:D

Saint3333
September 22nd, 2013, 07:52 PM

You are giving the people that watch gameday way too much credit.

as Herbstreet, he is paid to talk about FBS football, his lack of FCS knowledge is not surprising, and he'd be glad to tell you he doesn't give a damn either.

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2013, 06:03 PM
The Rose Hill campus is indeed attractive, and it isn't far from some dicier parts of the Bronx. Your 5 minutes on campus was well spent!:D

What parts of the Bronx besides the area immediately around Yankee Stadium and Fordham's campus aren't dicey?

NoDak 4 Ever
September 23rd, 2013, 06:13 PM

To be fair, you think any of those fancypants ever get to the Bronx?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2013, 06:15 PM

Rose Hill is one of my favorite campuses!! I love it! Then again I'm a sucker for urban universities!! It helps weed out those drunktards wondering around late night. At least at Temple it did :p

NoDak 4 Ever
September 23rd, 2013, 06:18 PM
Actually, while they all work at ESPN I think only Fowler lives in the area. In fact, he took in a Metallica concert at the Apollo theater on Saturday night. That guy is a rock star.

Corso lives in Florida.
Herbstreit had to move to Nashville because they hate his guts in Columbus. I think even Desmond Howard would be more welcome there.

LehighU11
September 23rd, 2013, 06:19 PM
*points to signature*

Very nice!

I think you omitted some FCS schools in KS and MN, though. I've seen NDSU beat up on a few schools called Kansas State, U of Kansas, and U of Minnesota. They might be in the PFL.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2013, 06:20 PM
Actually, while they all work at ESPN I think only Fowler lives in the area. In fact, he took in a Metallica concert at the Apollo theater on Saturday night. That guy is a rock star.

Corso lives in Florida.
Herbstreit had to move to Nashville because they hate his guts in Columbus. I think even Desmond Howard would be more welcome there.

Didn't he have a Tiger Woods incident in Columbus? His wife chased him down the street after she found out he was having an affair? Or something "like" that....

NoDak 4 Ever
September 23rd, 2013, 06:25 PM
Didn't he have a Tiger Woods incident in Columbus? His wife chased him down the street after she found out he was having an affair? Or something "like" that....

I didn't hear that. He went with his wife. They tried to get a tax thing from letting the CFD burn down their mansion in the super fancy part of town for training. He did claim it was "relentless" fans that made it impossible for him to live there.

Almost every other OSU player (Maurice Clarett excluded) generally finds a pretty soft landing in Columbus after whatever their career ends up being. Bobby Hoying owns half the residential real estate in town and Chris Spielman could probably run for mayor for life.

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2013, 06:35 PM
Don't be mentioning the name "Bobby Hoying" when you have Philadelphia Eagles fans posting in this thread.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 23rd, 2013, 07:23 PM
Don't be mentioning the name "Bobby Hoying" when you have Philadelphia Eagles fans posting in this thread.

Perfect example. As long as you played for the Scarlet and Gray, you will never be without a job.

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2013, 08:20 PM
Perfect example. As long as you played for the Scarlet and Gray, you will never be without a job.

Yeah, and if you play great for a couple games in one season and then play terrible the next season for the NFL team that wears midnight green, your jersey will be found on store racks in the Philadelphia area for 5 years after you left the team. xlolx

Fordham
September 23rd, 2013, 08:23 PM
What parts of the Bronx besides the area immediately around Yankee Stadium and Fordham's campus aren't dicey?

There are beautiful parts of every borough, believe it or not. Riverdale is an incredible section within the Bronx. There's also City Island and some waterfront parts of Throgs Neck and other spots that are much, much nicer than the area around Yankee Stadium IMO.

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2013, 08:34 PM
There are beautiful parts of every borough, believe it or not. Riverdale is an incredible section within the Bronx. There's also City Island and some waterfront parts of Throgs Neck and other spots that are much, much nicer than the area around Yankee Stadium IMO.

Actually, I believe that, especially with Riverdale (which I'm guessing is over on the Hudson). I admittedly haven't spent much time in the Bronx besides the Yankee Stadium area and riding on one of the above-ground subway lines and a Metro-North line. (I forget the subway line I used; I was able to walk between the subway station and the MNRR station, and I know the MNRR station was down a hill from the subway station.) The area where I transferred didn't look too bad.

Unfortunately, I also know the area near Yankee Stadium more than a block from the stadium is not an area I care to be in too much.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 23rd, 2013, 09:23 PM

Reminds me of Penn. Drove out there to look at the campus one night. I recommend doing it during the day. :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2013, 09:33 PM
Reminds me of Penn. Drove out there to look at the campus one night. I recommend doing it during the day. :D

I love Penn's campus! I used to frequent New Deck Tavern a few times a month when I was at Temple. My friend went to Drexel.

Did you visit Drexel's campus? The last time I was there, 2005, it was still an eyesore. I know they were trying to improve it back then. They tore down "The Drexel Shaft"....

NoDak 4 Ever
September 23rd, 2013, 09:37 PM
I love Penn's campus! I used to frequent New Deck Tavern a few times a month when I was at Temple. My friend went to Drexel.

Did you visit Drexel's campus? The last time I was there, 2005, it was still an eyesore. I know they were trying to improve it back then. They tore down "The Drexel Shaft"....

I was staying in Center City and I decided to take Walnut west. I took Walnut a little TOO far west and wished I hadn't.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2013, 09:47 PM
I was staying in Center City and I decided to take Walnut west. I took Walnut a little TOO far west and wished I hadn't.

LOL...

Temple is in as gnarly a location as you will find. If you weren't smart you'd end up in a bad situation real quick. I heard gun shots on several occasions.

With that said, Temple does a great job keeping everyone safe. The immediate area is still improving from where it was when I was there.

Still, Temple and Fordham are both oasis's in a concrete jungle....

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2013, 08:29 AM
LOL...

Temple is in as gnarly a location as you will find. If you weren't smart you'd end up in a bad situation real quick. I heard gun shots on several occasions.

With that said, Temple does a great job keeping everyone safe. The immediate area is still improving from where it was when I was there.

So is Columbia. What's funny is Columbia's main campus is in the middle of Harlem but take the train to the upper tip of Manhattan there's this oasis that looks almost suburban, and there's Kraft Field/Baker Stadium.

Franks Tanks
September 24th, 2013, 08:36 AM
The area around Fordham's campus aint bad. It is right next to the NY Botanical Gardens/The Bronx Zoo. Arthur Avenue (NY's real Little Italy) is also right next door.

The Bronx also has Riverdale, which is a very nice area. Joe Kennedy lived there and raised his family in Riverdale.

AppChicago
September 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM
So is Columbia. What's funny is Columbia's main campus is in the middle of Harlem but take the train to the upper tip of Manhattan there's this oasis that looks almost suburban, and there's Kraft Field/Baker Stadium.

Not to quibble (who am I kidding? Of course I'm quibbling. It's a message board), but Columbia isn't in the middle of Harlem. In fact, most would say Morningside Heights isn't Harlem at all, but that's a whole subject of contention.

But yeah, Inwood (where the stadium is) is definitely a weird little area. A lot of people in the rest of Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens don't think about it, nestled so deep into the Bronx as it is. Nice river overlooks and park space, though.

LehighU11
September 24th, 2013, 09:27 AM

Columbia is in Morningside Heights, one of the safest neighborhoods in Manhattan, not in Harlem. The two are separated by Morningside Park, which is a bit sketchy at night, but no more so than any other park. Harlem is coming around, and there are some very nice sections with well-kept brownstones, mostly the result of gentrification.

Columbia's also gated off with 24/7 security guards. I've spent a good deal of time there as my brother is a CU grad, and can say that it is very safe. No comparison to Temple/North Philly if you're in Morningside Heights, and safer than walking even one block off Lehigh's campus into parts of South Bethlehem.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 24th, 2013, 09:43 AM
LOL...

When I was there I was coaching a high school debate team at the national tournament in 2005 or so. One of the sites was what I understand to be a pretty fancy private school in North Philly. St. Something or something (I can't quite remember). I do remember one of my students talking about what a fancy school it was and how it couldn't possibly be in a bad neighborhood.

Needless to say, I was approached by a homeless beggar in the parking lot of the school in the middle of the day. Kids are so naive.

Fordham
September 24th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Agreed on that area outside of Columbia. Some great restaurants up there and just overall great vibe throughout the area.

Franks Tanks alluded to it but most of the perimeter around Fordham is great. Southern Blvd is across the street from the Botanical Gardens and Bronx Zoo, property that Fordham originally owned many, many years ago. Another section is next to Little Italy in the Bronx which has some amazing restaurants for pre/post game meals. Another section is bordered by the Metro North RR which protects that section of campus pretty well. The only arguably 'sketchy' part is outside of the gates near the library and even that's not too bad but, by looks, it could give non-urban livers or non-NY'ers, pause.