PDA

View Full Version : Too much TV?

89Hen
September 25th, 2006, 10:09 AM
First, let me say that I love that I now get CN8 and a slew of east coast I-AA games. But do you think with so many channels/radio stations/internet feeds... now broadcasting games, that the quality of announcers has gone compeltely downhill?

I don't watch the games to listen to the announcers, but I like to hear the names of the players and discussion about the teams and other things going on. However, I am constantly amazed at how ignorant some of the announcers are to the rules of the game. Some of it has to do with the new timing rules, but others are just plain wrong about basic rules.

Twice watching a nationally televised I-A game this year I heard announcers say as soon as they spot the ball both the play clock and game clock will start. Only problem was one time it was on an out-of-bounds play and the other was coming off of a time out. Neither had to do with the new change of possession or kickoff rule. :nono:

Watching the Villanova/Penn game this week, the announcers were up in arms on how the Penn QB could have been called for intentional grounding late in the game because he was outside the tackle box. They didn't care to address the fact that he shovel-passed it landing 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage. They spent the next two minutes railing on the call and how it was such a shame the game would be impacted by such a horrible call. The whole time I'm thinking, it was such a shame the game was being ruined by two ignorant announcers. :mad: :nonono2: