PDA

View Full Version : Bison Colors

buffalobill
September 19th, 2013, 05:27 PM
NDSU Bison colors are yellow and green officially, but anyone who truly understands Bison tradition knows that any Bison athlete never wore anything but the green and Gold when representing the Bison. Hopefully that doesn't offend those that say they bleed yellow.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 19th, 2013, 05:39 PM
NDSU Bison colors are yellow and green officially, but anyone who truly understands Bison tradition knows that any Bison athlete never wore anything but the green and Gold when representing the Bison. Hopefully that doesn't offend those that say they bleed yellow.

Green and Gold is for packers. Archibald Ellsworth Minard wrote "The Yellow and the Green".

is 1909 tradition enough for ya? Anyone who has "buffalo" in their name knows nothing about Bison.

This is a buffalo:

http://www.wildmanfoods.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/31.jpg

This is a bison:

http://a-z-animals.com/media/animals/images/470x370/bison.jpg

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 05:40 PM

buffalobill
September 19th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Read Gene Taylor's invite to ESPN Gameday and see which color he used. And your second comment sounds like a person who has anger issues, but to each his own.

buffalobill
September 19th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Green and Gold is for packers. Archibald Ellsworth Minard wrote "The Yellow and the Green".

is 1909 tradition enough for ya? Anyone who has "buffalo" in their name knows nothing about Bison.

This is a buffalo:

http://www.wildmanfoods.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/31.jpg

This is a bison:

http://a-z-animals.com/media/animals/images/470x370/bison.jpg
I am very familiar with the difference and have actually legally hunted and taken both! Have you ever heard in that same song the reference to golden in the fall. I would much rather be referred to as gold than yellow. I respect your comments I just don't agree with the connotation that yellow implies.

gotts
September 19th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I am very familiar with the difference and have actually legally hunted and taken both! Have you ever heard in that same song the reference to golden in the fall. I would much rather be referred to as gold than yellow. I respect your comments I just don't agree with the connotation that yellow implies.

So you're cool with a golden shower then?

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Read Gene Taylor's invite to ESPN Gameday and see which color he used. And your second comment sounds like a person who has anger issues, but to each his own.

You haven't been here long enough to take a joke from me yet. xlolx

Moto X

buffalobill
September 19th, 2013, 06:40 PM
You haven't been here long enough to take a joke from me yet. xlolx

Moto X
Fair enough but wouldn't bleeding gold sound better than bleeding yellow, IMO. And do check the Bison invite to ESPN Gamesday on Go Bison by GT.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 19th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Fair enough but wouldn't bleeding gold sound better than bleeding yellow, IMO. And do check the Bison invite to ESPN Gamesday on Go Bison by GT.

It doesn't matter what GT says. I think the marketing department is being rather sloppy with the nomenclature as well.

The color is Yellow, not Gold.

buffalobill
September 19th, 2013, 06:54 PM
No argument yellow is the official color but true BISON don the Green and Gold. Ask former or current players and see what type of response you receive. Make sure you frame the question based the discussion we are having.

Twentysix
September 19th, 2013, 06:54 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1269192_10100279082688189_1123474866_o.jpg

AmsterBison
September 19th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Well, I put forward a motion to be able to call yellow gold if we want. Problem with an engineering-heavy school - way too literal. Gold has always been a synonym for yellow.

Green and Gold = what I call NDSU's colors.

That said, I'd love a new school song, "Green number 65, Yellow number 140, as long as we're alive, something something Snorty!"

buffalobill
September 19th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I don't believe they ever painted a gold stripe on a coward's back!

Professor Chaos
September 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I guess it means the team's in pretty good shape when the fans are bitching about what the team colors are during the season...

Twentysix
September 19th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Green 65, green 65, Yellow 140 set hut!

buffalobill
September 19th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Out of chaos there is order!

Bison56
September 19th, 2013, 08:21 PM
My dad can beat up your dad. Wait am I in the right place?

KUlawJack
September 19th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Bison helmet - yellow. Notre Dame helmet - gold.

gotts
September 19th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Bison helmet - yellow. Notre Dame helmet - gold.

This.

TennBison
September 19th, 2013, 09:35 PM
So why do they refer to some games as GOLD RUSH then.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 19th, 2013, 10:47 PM

as I said, I think the marketing department is often lazy with it's nomenclature. the gold thing is too easy.

Twentysix
September 19th, 2013, 11:42 PM

Gold rush is a marketing term that other schools made up.

For instance this will be our, third? Gold rush.

This will be WVU's 9th. I'm not sure they made it up either.

Vitojr130
September 20th, 2013, 01:12 AM
No argument yellow is the official color but true BISON don the Green and Gold. Ask former or current players and see what type of response you receive. Make sure you frame the question based the discussion we are having.

And why can't Bison yellow be a shade of gold? The Whioux have Kelley Green (:pumpuke: ) so why can't our yellow be a shade of gold?

Laker
September 20th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Gold rush is a marketing term that other schools made up.

For instance this will be our, third? Gold rush.

This will be WVU's 9th. I'm not sure they made it up either.

The Gophers used the term Gold Rush way back in 1972 when they went to old gold helmets, jerseys and pants.

IBleedYellow
September 20th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Hey guys, it's FOOTBALL SEASON...

Let's bring this up back in...6 months when we're bored during the offseason and we don't piss off all of the other AGSer's.

Bisonator
September 20th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Really? We're complaining about what a color should be called now? xlolx

xgiveadamnx

Mattymc727
September 20th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Wait just a minute here....You have won 2 national titles in a row, probably a 3rd... and you dont even know what colors your school uses?.....

Well this is awkward...

DSUrocks07
September 20th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Norfolk State holds a claim to those colors, might want to take it up with them.

"BEHOLD THE GREEN AND GOLD!"

Powerful. And goes perfectly with their mascot. Spartans.

I doubt that something along the lines of "Mellow with Green and Yellow" would work as much for them.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

NDSUstudent
September 20th, 2013, 09:26 AM
The Gophers used the term Gold Rush way back in 1972 when they went to old gold helmets, jerseys and pants.

California had the original Gold Rush in 1849.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 10:12 AM

That's a different thing xsmiley_wix

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Wait just a minute here....You have won 2 national titles in a row, probably a 3rd... and you dont even know what colors your school uses?.....

Well this is awkward...

The color blind gene is rampant in ND. We just do what we are told.

http://jason.bryer.org/images/FiftyShadesOfGrey.png
Which one of those is the color we are talking about?

344Johnson
September 20th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Why the heck is this a thread on AGS? Good Gawwwwwd

NoDak 4 Ever
September 20th, 2013, 10:46 AM

Every time someone bitches about a thread, I am glad to remind them there are 29,000 other threads in which to participate.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Every time someone bitches about a thread, I am glad to remind them there are 29,000 other threads in which to participate.

Haha right, not to mention they are bumping the thread to bitch. Attention whores imo.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Hey, Look at me!!! I don't approve of this thing I am making you look at! Don't look at it! K, thanks for looking.

Mattymc727
September 20th, 2013, 10:55 AM
This thread exists because nobody actually feels like working on a friday, and there is an abundance of Bison fans around.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 20th, 2013, 11:09 AM
This thread exists because nobody actually feels like working on a friday, and there is an abundance of Bison fans around.

I have had a beef with this for a while, this gives me an outlet. only an hour more and I can take off for Fargo. It will get really quiet then.

bisonguy
September 20th, 2013, 09:23 PM

It's like beating a dead horse. Literally.

Sorry, bad joke considering the OP.

Southern Bison
September 20th, 2013, 10:16 PM

The Carolina Gold Rush, the first gold rush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_rush) in the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States), followed discovery of gold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold) in North Carolina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina) in 1799. This is why the UNC-Charlotte mascot is known as the 49ers as well (synonymous with a "Gold Rush"). Reed's mine is less than 20 miles from the UNC-C campus and was a key reason for the growth of the Charlotte area during that time period.

CassBison
September 26th, 2013, 11:40 PM

Is this not you bitching about him bitching about this thread?

Twentysix
September 27th, 2013, 12:20 AM
This is why the UNC-Charlotte mascot is known as the 49ers as well (synonymous with a "Gold Rush"). Reed's mine is less than 20 miles from the UNC-C campus and was a key reason for the growth of the Charlotte area during that time period.

The European conquest of the New World was an ipso facto gold rush.

Squealofthepig
September 27th, 2013, 01:44 AM

Ach! We've got a true Scotsman here!

tourguide
September 27th, 2013, 04:01 AM
I know what color yellow is and what color gold is. NDSU is yellow. Fight song even says so.

Sons of the green and yellow prairies, our colors will ever be.
STATE BISON!

Thundar
September 27th, 2013, 07:39 AM
SCREAM YELLOW!!!

all non bandwagon bison fans will get this

robsnotes4u
September 27th, 2013, 08:50 AM
True colors are Piss and Vinegar.

My Dad use to say you are full of piss and vinegar if you were mean and on edge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NoDak 4 Ever
September 27th, 2013, 09:30 AM
I know what color yellow is and what color gold is. NDSU is yellow. Fight song even says so.

Sons of the green and yellow prairies, our colors will ever be.
STATE BISON!

YEP

On Bison carry the fightState is backing you
Green and yellow colors bright
To them, we will be true

yes I will.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Not to mention the alma mater:

Ho! a cheer for Green and Yellow,Up with Yellow and the Green;They’re the shades that deck our prairiesFar and wide with glorious sheen,Fields of waving green in springtime,Golden yellow in the fall—How the great high-arching heavenLooks and laughs upon it all!

I won't post it all cause its pretty racist, but it's from a different time.

AmsterBison
September 27th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Not to mention the alma mater:

I won't post it all cause its pretty racist, but it's from a different time.

You can't post that and not post the whole thing.

Here in autumn throng the nations,
Just to gather in the spoil,
Throng on freight cars from the cities,
Some to feast and some to toil,
Then the yellow grains flow eastward
And the yellow gold flows back;
Barren cities boast their plenty
And the prairies know no lack.

Hushed upon the boundless prairies
Is the bison's thundering tread,
And the red man passes with him
On his spoiler's bounty fed.
But the Norse, the Celt and Saxon
With their herds increase and find
Mid these fields of green and yellow
Plenty e'en for all mankind.

Need a new alma mater. My pick for a title: The Green and The Gold. BTW, I've seen lots of wheat fields in my time... none of them have been yellow.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Hushed upon the boundless prairies
Is the bison's thundering tread,
And the red man passes with him
On his spoiler's bounty fed.
But the Norse, the Celt and Saxon
With their herds increase and find
Mid these fields of green and yellow
Plenty e'en for all mankind.

I love Dr. Isern's interpretation of the white supremacy section. Lol, I think most people don't know that the song has more than 1 verse, and when they see it initially I think they gloss over most of it.

The third stanza is something of an embarassment to us going on a century later, not so much because of its epitaph for the bison as for its implications of white racial supremacy. These lines reflect the common belief of the times (the so-called "fatal contact") that the peoples of color in colonized lands were dying races doomed by inevitable progress.

AmsterBison
September 27th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I love Dr. Isern's interpretation of the white supremacy section. Lol, I think most people don't know that the song has more than 1 verse, and when they see it initially I think they gloss over most of it.

Song was written in the time of Kipling and bonanza farms so it's not surprising. And, obviously, it was written before NDSU adopted the bison as a mascot.

Anyway, I've never sung even the first stanza. Only line I like in the whole song is the last one although I do like the imagery of the harvest. BTW, that type of harvest didn't last much longer because bonanza farms were giant company farms and they died out quickly as soon as the price of wheat dropped. They were replaced by much more efficient family farms.

So to recap:
1. The song is racist.
2. It disses our first citizens and our mascot.
3. It glorifies corporate farming.

Not a fan.