PDA

View Full Version : Plans for new stadium for S. Dakota State move forward.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rabbit74
September 19th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Plans for a new stadium for South Dakota State are moving through the state approval process. The current version is an 18,500 seat stadium to be completed in time for the 2016 season.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20130919/SPORTS0202/309190038/Plan-calls-18-500-seat-football-stadium-SDSU-by-2016

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Hell yes! This is great for you guys!

Moto X

Darlinikki150
September 19th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Amen! No offense but I'm not a fan of ur current stadium. Its a great opportunity for school, congrats!

Laker
September 19th, 2013, 03:59 PM
After watching a number of games there- including the Butler game this fall- this looks like it would be a big improvement over the erector set. I was impressed with the new building in the north end zone where evergreeen trees used to stand. I hope that it gets done. xthumbsupx

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 04:00 PM
What no dome like the other 3 Dakota schools? ;)

Evolution Prime
September 19th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Amen! No offense but I'm not a fan of ur current stadium. Its a great opportunity for school, congrats!

I think most SDSU fans aren't a fan of the current stadium. I loved going to games there as a kid, but even I knew it sucked. The god awful old scoreboard we used to have was at least graciously retired for the one we currently have.

Along with the new indoor facility, I can't wait for this stadium to get built. It has been a long time coming.

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I'm honestly nervous to go on those damn bleachers this year with all of the NDSU faithful.

We'll be rocking it out on the 50 yard line on the 28th!! Can't wait!

Bisonator
September 19th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Congrats rabbits and fans!

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 04:45 PM
PDF file!

http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/committees/SDSU/documents/SDSU_Stadium_SitePlan091813.pdf

Twentysix
September 19th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Woooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

That is huge!!! Suck in more of Sioux Falls on game day and expand that baby. Maybe in a decade and a half we will move to the MWC or something toghether.

citdog
September 19th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Stadium rendering looks damn good.

dbackjon
September 19th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Looks great - congrats!

buffalobill
September 19th, 2013, 04:58 PM
It appears to have the capability to expand. If that is the case, wise move long term!

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Here, have some oil money! :D

taper
September 19th, 2013, 05:56 PM
What no dome like the other 3 Dakota schools? ;)

DakotaDome at USD has had a fixed roof since 2001 after the air dome fell down too many times. FargoDome was originally planned as a air dome but we wisely chose a real roof instead. Construction crews put it on upside down, but that's a different story. The Alerus Center at UND is a cross between a tin can and a potato shed and despite having a real roof still fell down twice during construction.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 06:05 PM
DakotaDome at USD has had a fixed roof since 2001 after the air dome fell down too many times. FargoDome was originally planned as a air dome but we wisely chose a real roof instead. Construction crews put it on upside down, but that's a different story. The Alerus Center at UND is a cross between a tin can and a potato shed and despite having a real roof still fell down twice during construction.

Don't forget the Fargodome has been flooded during a rainstorm. Until the city built up the dikes around it.

gotts
September 19th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Don't forget the Fargodome has been flooded during a rainstorm. Until the city built up the dikes around it.

...and that has to do with the dome/roof how?

taper
September 19th, 2013, 06:15 PM

Did you know artificial turf will float? The north east stairway has the high water mark labeled. About ankle high on the landing between the concourse and field.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 06:18 PM
...and that has to do with the dome/roof how?

The same way the Alerus looks like a tin can/ potato shed. You must have missed that part.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Did you know artificial turf will float? The north east stairway has the high water mark labeled. About ankle high on the landing between the concourse and field.

That would be cool to see the turf float.

justintyem
September 19th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Are they updating the turf too,cause just a lil rain and it turns to a mud track!!!!

MplsBison
September 19th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Fieldturf should be mandatory upgrade for this stadium as well. It looks really nice! SDSU will have better facilities than NDSU in football --- period.

Let that sink in NDSU fans, it's fact.

One thing I don't understand about the pdf file is the last page -- what's the deal with the blue structure that's superimposed? I get that the black is the planned stadium and that the red is the current home side stands (WOW, what a contrast!). But the blue on the home side looks like some much larger, grander scale plan? It's not labeled or explained at all that I can see.

KUlawJack
September 19th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Fieldturf should be mandatory upgrade for this stadium as well. It looks really nice! SDSU will have better facilities than NDSU in football --- period.

One thing I don't understand about the pdf file is the last page -- what's the deal with the blue structure that's superimposed? I get that the black is the planned stadium and that the red is the current home side stands (WOW, what a contrast!). But the blue on the home side looks like some much larger, grander scale plan? It's not labeled or explained at all that I can see.

This will have field turf, much to my dismay.

As for that blue rendering, I have wondered the same. No idea what it is.

espete
September 19th, 2013, 08:29 PM

The blue plan is the original 22,000 seat plan. It has since been scaled back to 18,500. This plan is a revision to the first plan they gave to the BOR about a couple years ago. And yes I believe that Fieldturf is in the plan, unless they have taken it out with the revision, but last I've seen was to be installed.

Bisonator
September 19th, 2013, 08:29 PM

Good for them. I bet Kansas State has better facilities then NDSU too.xsmiley_wix

sgt smash
September 19th, 2013, 08:49 PM

I assumed that it was room for 2nd place MVFC trophies.

That looks awesome. Great for you guys.

MplsBison
September 19th, 2013, 09:36 PM
The blue plan is the original 22,000 seat plan. It has since been scaled back to 18,500. This plan is a revision to the first plan they gave to the BOR about a couple years ago. And yes I believe that Fieldturf is in the plan, unless they have taken it out with the revision, but last I've seen was to be installed.

Thanks, that makes sense.

MplsBison
September 19th, 2013, 09:40 PM

Much to your dismay?

I'll take:

- vastly improved player safety over wet turf or mud
- vastly improved field look over turf or mud
- vastly improved human performan/football gameplay over wet turf or mud

Sorry, but piss on traditions that won't even accept an obvious improvement simply for the sake of preserving tradition.

For the life of me, why cling to grass??? It's just stupid grass. It eats up valuable resources like water and maintenance and it looks and plays like garbage later in the season in northern climates, no matter what you do.

FargoBison
September 19th, 2013, 09:46 PM
The only way to do natural grass is to do what GB does at Lambeau but for a college team that is probably not worth the expense.

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 09:49 PM
It might be better, but can they fill it?

That's the question.

clenz
September 19th, 2013, 10:16 PM

That's the question.
Twice per year...

Hobo and NDSU

KUlawJack
September 19th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Twice per year...

Hobo and NDSU

Maybe USD too.

Plus, one builds for the future, not the present. This will have to be viable for 50 years.

KUlawJack
September 19th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Much to your dismay?

I'll take:

- vastly improved player safety over wet turf or mud
- vastly improved field look over turf or mud
- vastly improved human performan/football gameplay over wet turf or mud

Sorry, but piss on traditions that won't even accept an obvious improvement simply for the sake of preserving tradition.

For the life of me, why cling to grass??? It's just stupid grass. It eats up valuable resources like water and maintenance and it looks and plays like garbage later in the season in northern climates, no matter what you do.

I've seen you rant against grass previously. While I like natural grass, it was more to push your buttons. Field turf is inevitable for this new stadium.

dewey
September 19th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Congratulations to the SDSU fans!

Go Bison!

Dewey

89rabbit
September 19th, 2013, 11:25 PM

That's the question.

We sold all the seats at CAS last week against SELA on the Tuesday before the game. So from Wed. on it was standing room only tickets.

clenz
September 19th, 2013, 11:27 PM
We sold all the seats at CAS last week against SELA on the Tuesday before the game. So from Wed. on it was standing room only.
That doesn't equate to 8600 more people though...

89rabbit
September 19th, 2013, 11:29 PM
That doesn't equate to 8600 more people though...

How many more stay home because they can't buy a seat to the game? We avg. more fans per game then we have seats and have for 4 years in a row now.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2013, 01:46 AM
I've seen you rant against grass previously. While I like natural grass, it was more to push your buttons. Field turf is inevitable for this new stadium.

Then I didn't disappoint. Push away.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Maybe USD too.

Plus, one builds for the future, not the present. This will have to be viable for 50 years.

I would think USD, NDSU are sellouts for sure. Don't see why SDSU couldn't have something with UNI as well - maybe not quite a sellout. Perhaps about like something that could be had with UND, if they ever wise up and join the rest of the Dakota flagships.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Good for them. I bet Kansas State has better facilities then NDSU too.xsmiley_wix

I'm serious, when it comes to facilities standing on their own - SDSU will be better than NDSU in every aspect.

Now when you add in average attendance and the atmosphere, both in terms of the game experience and in terms of the pre-game experience, NDSU will still win hands down. For the simple fact that they've got the winning tradition and they've therefore built up the die hard fan base that tailgates (complete with custom rigs) and who pack the stadium. SDSU has a ways to go to catch up.

But in terms of practice facilities, SDSU wins hands down and now in terms of gameday facilities, I give SDSU the slight edge when the weather is nice. When it's cold or wet, it's nice to have a dome.

GABison
September 20th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Congratulations! A little curious as to why you are not going with the 22,000 cap version right off the bat? With the way you are winning and growing in attendance, 18,000 will be too small by the end of the decade.

Mattymc727
September 20th, 2013, 07:15 AM
As a UNH fan, im jealous. Congrats on the new home.

I hope one day UNH will follow suit

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Congratulations! A little curious as to why you are not going with the 22,000 cap version right off the bat? With the way you are winning and growing in attendance, 18,000 will be too small by the end of the decade.

I agree. Even though Brookings is a little **** town, there is no way SDSU doesn't continue to draw out of SF.

clenz
September 20th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I know USF just went D2 from NAIA...but how long until they pursue D1 opportunities?

The issue is the MVFC won't take them - USD barely got in and caused a **** show with the eastern schools. I would also bet that if YSU left at anypoint the MVFC would be happy as it was get back to the number the conference really wants (allowing for a true round robin)...and if any school was added it was be an eastern school.

I would imagine the Summit may be willing to take them for all other sports - but a football home may be tough to find for them....

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I know USF just went D2 from NAIA...but how long until they pursue D1 opportunities?

The issue is the MVFC won't take them - USD barely got in and caused a **** show with the eastern schools. I would also bet that if YSU left at anypoint the MVFC would be happy as it was get back to the number the conference really wants (allowing for a true round robin)...and if any school was added it was be an eastern school.

I would imagine the Summit may be willing to take them for all other sports - but a football home may be tough to find for them....

They could be in the BSC and travel with UND. That will be $20. I don't think they are pursing DI though.

i_got_a_fever
September 20th, 2013, 11:53 AM

You're kidding right? USF is in NO WAY going D1. If I had to choose between the 2 Sioux Falls Private Schools, Augie would be closer to going D1, but even then they are light years and light years away from that. Neither of them can come close to filling their stadiums on gameday, USF (3,400 capacity) Augie (6,500).

Rabbit74
September 20th, 2013, 03:11 PM
USF was extremely successful in football at the NAIA level, several national championships, runner ups etc. But they don't have the enrollment or resources to consider a move up beyond the DII level. Augie made the decision to stay DII when USD moved up and they seem very happy with that decision.

So for DI Sports, Sioux Falls fans' local options for the foreseeable future are SDSU and USD with probably 60% SDSU supporters and 40% USD supporters. It is essentially 60 miles from Sioux Falls to either school. IMHO the Jacks will sell out an 18,500 seat stadium for two home games each year almost immediately (HOBO Day and NDSU/USD which ever plays in Brookings in a given year and fill it from 60-90% (11,000-17,000) for all of the other games. We have had over 16,000 in the current facility a couple times, with the largest crowd being for an NDSU game.

There is something to be said for the seating capacity not exceeding the expected average attendance very much and letting getting a ticket be a goal rather than a sure thing. If there is a chance that a fan won't get a ticket for a particular game, there will be more of a tendency to but season tickets.

Laker
September 20th, 2013, 05:23 PM
USF had a great first season of D2 football but will be rebuilding this year. Not so good for basketball- gym is quite small. Right across the street from Augustana. Not a candidate for FCS.

taper
September 20th, 2013, 07:00 PM
We sold all the seats at CAS last week against SELA on the Tuesday before the game. So from Wed. on it was standing room only tickets.

Winning will do that. Congrats, keep it up.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2013, 07:18 PM

Hence why the Summit needs its own football conference and a scheduling agreement with the MVFC.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2013, 07:19 PM
You're kidding right? USF is in NO WAY going D1. If I had to choose between the 2 Sioux Falls Private Schools, Augie would be closer to going D1, but even then they are light years and light years away from that. Neither of them can come close to filling their stadiums on gameday, USF (3,400 capacity) Augie (6,500).

Do either of those play at Howard Wood? That's the biggest football stadium in SF, correct?

Laker
September 20th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Do either of those play at Howard Wood? That's the biggest football stadium in SF, correct?

No, Augie plays at Kirkeby-Over, which is quite new and a heck of a place to watch a game. http://goaugie.com/sports/2008/9/3/FB_0903081901.aspx?path=football

Sioux Falls plays at Bob Young Field, also very new but not as big as K-O. http://www.usfcougars.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26500&ATCLID=205242989

http://www.d2football.com/stadiums/siouxfalls/t342/ 3400 capacity.

Howard Wood holds 10,000- but it does have a track running around it. http://sfsportsauthority.org/2012/06/howard-wood-field-2/

MplsBison
September 20th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks. Both of those stadiums look pretty nice.

Laker
September 21st, 2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks. Both of those stadiums look pretty nice.

I've watched games in both and they are nice. Augie's is right on campus but USF's is southeast of the Interstate bypass. They have a whole sports complex out there several miles from campus.

I've also been to Howard Wood several times, but not since they have redone it.

Rabbit74
October 5th, 2013, 09:29 AM
A big announcement on the stadium is expected at halftime of the SDSU - Southern Illinois game today. Stay tuned.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 5th, 2013, 09:32 AM
A big announcement on the stadium is expected at halftime of the SDSU - Southern Illinois game today. Stay tuned.

I have yet to see or hear "fully funded" in anything relating to this new stadium. When that happens, I'll believe it.

JSUBison
October 5th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I have yet to see or hear "fully funded" in anything relating to this new stadium. When that happens, I'll believe it.

Unlike ND, projects don't have to be 100% funded for them to start from what I've heard anyway.

MplsBison
October 5th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Pretty sure SDSU is allowed to pay for the project with bonds.

What a novel concept. Oh well, steam engines and wood burning stoves work just fine for North Dakota.

Rabbit74
October 5th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Pretty sure SDSU is allowed to pay for the project with bonds.

What a novel concept. Oh well, steam engines and wood burning stoves work just fine for North Dakota.

That is correct, The stadium is expected to cost $60-65,000,000 with up to $50,000,000 to be covered by bonds to be paid from various athletic funding streams (no state money and no student money). That leaves $10-15,000,000 to come from donations. Best guess for today is that there will be an announcement of the source of the required donations, perhaps exceeding the required amount which would reduce the required bonding. Or maybe it will just a be kick-off for a quick fund raising drive. We will see. May also be about timeline. The one we heard about a couple of weeks ago had the stadium completed in time for the 2016 season, but there is an alternative time line that would finish it one year earlier.

The $32,000,000 indoor practice facility is currently in the early stages of construction. That, the stadium and the recently completed Dykhouse Student Athletic Center will represent an approximate $100,000,000 complex all completed over a 6 year time period.

IBleedYellow
October 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Terry Vandrovec‏@TerryVandrovec33s (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/TerryVandrovec/status/386536291820531713) Breaking: Philanthropist T. Denny Sanford and banker Dana Dykhouse are donating $12.5M to SDSU for its proposed football stadium.

Damn.

IBleedYellow
October 5th, 2013, 12:02 PM
"Welcome to Caughlin-Alumni Dykehouse Stadium"

Hehe. Good ring to it.

clenz
October 5th, 2013, 12:36 PM
If tds is involved you know it is going to be called sunbathing like Sanford Field arty CAS.

TDS doesn't do anything that doesn't allow him to put his name everywhere

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

i_got_a_fever
October 5th, 2013, 12:42 PM
"Welcome to Caughlin-Alumni Dykehouse Stadium"

Hehe. Good ring to it.

Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium

mmiller_34
October 5th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium

Confirmed by TV. Can't wait for it.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 5th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium

At Sanford University.

IBleedYellow
October 5th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Time to take over the Dykehouse.

When I said that at work I got lots of weird looks, had to explain myself. xlolx

MplsBison
October 5th, 2013, 08:06 PM
That is correct, The stadium is expected to cost $60-65,000,000 with up to $50,000,000 to be covered by bonds to be paid from various athletic funding streams (no state money and no student money). That leaves $10-15,000,000 to come from donations. Best guess for today is that there will be an announcement of the source of the required donations, perhaps exceeding the required amount which would reduce the required bonding. Or maybe it will just a be kick-off for a quick fund raising drive. We will see. May also be about timeline. The one we heard about a couple of weeks ago had the stadium completed in time for the 2016 season, but there is an alternative time line that would finish it one year earlier.

The $32,000,000 indoor practice facility is currently in the early stages of construction. That, the stadium and the recently completed Dykhouse Student Athletic Center will represent an approximate $100,000,000 complex all completed over a 6 year time period.

Giving SDSU the best football facilities in the Dakotas.

Simple as that.

89rabbit
October 7th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Video from the Press Conference

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/post/63188544543/here-is-press-conference-video-from-sdsu

SDFS
October 7th, 2013, 09:36 PM
That is correct, The stadium is expected to cost $60-65,000,000 with up to $50,000,000 to be covered by bonds to be paid from various athletic funding streams (no state money and no student money).

Didn't USD get into trouble when they built the Dakota Dome with future revenue paying off stadium bonds and additional operational costs. I hope SDSU has a better plan in place and 50 million seems like a good chuck of change to owe...

mmiller_34
October 8th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Didn't USD get into trouble when they built the Dakota Dome with future revenue paying off stadium bonds and additional operational costs. I hope SDSU has a better plan in place and 50 million seems like a good chuck of change to owe...

Things are a little different now than they were when USD build the Dakota Dome.

i_got_a_fever
December 4th, 2013, 07:48 PM
BOR Approved. Next is the State Legislature, with the idea for immediate construction instead of waiting until July 1st. Great day to be a Jackrabbit!

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20131204/UPDATES/131204014/Regents-approve-new-SDSU-football-stadium-next-step-Legislature

i_got_a_fever
January 9th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Stadium Town Hall Meetings Set

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=209361815

Also, this was put up on GoJacks.com awhile ago, however, I do not think it has been posted on here. More renderings of the new stadium.

http://www.gojacks.com//PhotoAlbum.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=15000&PALBID=1037648

darell1976
January 9th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Stadium Town Hall Meetings Set

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=209361815

Also, this was put up on GoJacks.com awhile ago, however, I do not think it has been posted on here. More renderings of the new stadium.

http://www.gojacks.com//PhotoAlbum.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=15000&PALBID=1037648

The stadium looks nice!! I hope when UND gets an outdoor stadium (upgrade of Memorial Stadium) it looks like this.

Professor Chaos
January 9th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Where would SDSU play their homes games in 2015? Or are they planning on still playing at CAS while it is under construction?

i_got_a_fever
January 9th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Where would SDSU play their homes games in 2015? Or are they planning on still playing at CAS while it is under construction?

Construct Eastside, Southside, and Pressbox/Suites Structure behind current Westside during the season. Then tear down Westside after season, and build new Westside into Pressbox/Suites Structure, and install new playing surface.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 9th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Having been there now, it reminds me a lot of Saluki Stadium

i_got_a_fever
January 9th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Having been there now, it reminds me a lot of Saluki Stadium

Isn't Saluki Stadium just a horseshoe of aluminum bleachers?

Seats 15,000, with 2,500 of that being grass berm. Only 1,080 seat back chairs.

SDSU's New Stadium will be in the 18,000 to 20,000 seat range, with the only beacher seating in the student section, ~3,500 seats. So we will have seat back chairs in the range of 14,500 to 16,500.

Professor Chaos
January 9th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Construct Eastside, Southside, and Pressbox/Suites Structure behind current Westside during the season. Then tear down Westside after season, and build new Westside into Pressbox/Suites Structure, and install new playing surface.
It'll be fun to come visit once it's completed but that SDSU/NDSU game in 2015 is going to suck even more now with no east side seating. SDSU won't be able to sell nearly as many $40 game tickets to NDSU fans. xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
January 9th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Isn't Saluki Stadium just a horseshoe of aluminum bleachers?

Seats 15,000, with 2,500 of that being grass berm. Only 1,080 seat back chairs.

SDSU's New Stadium will be in the 18,000 to 20,000 seat range, with the only beacher seating in the student section, ~3,500 seats. So we will have seat back chairs in the range of 14,500 to 16,500.

I'm talking about the single bowl of stretched out seating, the renderings don't give much of an indication of exactly how many rows they will have.

i_got_a_fever
January 9th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I'm talking about the single bowl of stretched out seating, the renderings don't give much of an indication of exactly how many rows they will have.

The 18,000 seat set up according the schematic drawings has 28 rows in the "lower bowl", a rise in elevation and then 7 additional rows, making it 35 rows on the Westside without Pressbox/Suites, and the Southside and Eastside having 28 rows around.

Bogus Megapardus
January 9th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Congratulations on the new stadium. Keep us posted.

marenlee
January 9th, 2014, 01:32 PM
It's really nice to see the majority of seats are chairbacks. Especially when other new stadiums popping up across the country are still using a majority of bleachers. Nothing sucks more than sitting on crappy bleachers especially during the winter. But you shouldn't be using those seats anyways! Maaaayyybee during halftime xthumbsupx

centennial
January 9th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Congratulations SDSU, good to see support from everywhere. Hope NDSU can do more as well.

Theee Catrabbit
January 9th, 2014, 03:18 PM
As a kid who born and raised in Brookings in the 70's and 80's and lived there most of the 90's, it'll be tough to see the ol' field go. Many a Saturday was spent at that place, not just watching the game but chucking the football around with friends in the practice field and clobbering each other in games of kill the carrier. I still miss the pines that used to sit in the north endzone. It was fun, but it is time.

dewey
January 9th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Congrats to SDSU as the stadium renderings look great! Thanks for the updates.

Dewey

frozennorth
January 9th, 2014, 09:07 PM
how far along is construction?

achrist70
January 9th, 2014, 09:12 PM
The only thing I really am hoping for is field turf

Bisonator
January 10th, 2014, 08:26 AM
how far along is construction?

Still needs legislative approval.

RabidRabbit
January 10th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Still needs legislative approval.

Agreed that legislative approval is necessary to float the bonds for the stadium construction, but hopefully that will be done in the upcoming Jan-Mar session. If so, with the AE design/build contractor on board, construction is planned to initiate this year.

Need to change from our 50-year old stadium.

Da Herd
January 10th, 2014, 04:56 PM
As a kid who born and raised in Brookings in the 70's and 80's and lived there most of the 90's, it'll be tough to see the ol' field go. Many a Saturday was spent at that place, not just watching the game but chucking the football around with friends in the practice field and clobbering each other in games of kill the carrier.

Man, even before they called it smear the queer? Thats a while back.

Bisonoline
January 10th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Congratulations SDSU, good to see support from everywhere. Hope NDSU can do more as well.

It would be nice if we had the same funding options.

344Johnson
January 11th, 2014, 03:22 AM
As a kid who born and raised in Brookings in the 70's and 80's and lived there most of the 90's, it'll be tough to see the ol' field go. Many a Saturday was spent at that place, not just watching the game but chucking the football around with friends in the practice field and clobbering each other in games of kill the carrier. I still miss the pines that used to sit in the north endzone. It was fun, but it is time.

We called that game something else

IBleedYellow
January 11th, 2014, 03:49 AM
Man, those renderings make it look even better.

Honestly I'm pretty jealous of this. Yes the Fargodome is awesome, but the fact that you guys could expand this has so many more possibilities!

dewey
January 11th, 2014, 11:47 AM
We called that game something else

I would imagine we called it the same as you...smear the...you can probably figure the rest out.

Dewey

MplsBison
January 11th, 2014, 02:21 PM
The only thing I really am hoping for is field turf

Should be mandatory.

MplsBison
January 11th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I'll keep saying it until NDSU does something about it (could be a long time): SDSU will have the best practice *and* gameday facilities in the Dakotas.

Facilities are the embodiment of your football program. Players, coaches, fans and wins come and go - but facilities represent where your program has been and where it's going.

Darlinikki150
January 11th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I'll keep saying it until NDSU does something about it (could be a long time): SDSU will have the best practice *and* gameday facilities in the Dakotas.

Facilities are the embodiment of your football program. Players, coaches, fans and wins come and go - but facilities represent where your program has been and where it's going.

To bad they won't have the best team....

IBleedYellow
January 11th, 2014, 06:25 PM

Yet, they won't have the best atmosphere. Considering you don't attend our games or know what entails a Bison Gameday, you keep talking about NDSU from only what you see and read.

marenlee
January 11th, 2014, 08:35 PM
So will the Jacks fill up the seats for games not against NDSU? I kid I kid. :p

NoDak 4 Ever
January 11th, 2014, 08:37 PM
So will the Jacks fill up the seats for games not against NDSU? I kid I kid. :p

This is kind of it. I mean, where are the people coming from to fill this thing?

TribeNomad
January 11th, 2014, 08:42 PM
We spent the night in Brookings at the back end of our trip through SD last summer, and I got to go through the campus. It was late August, and everyone was in town for move in. Folks were really nice, and we enjoyed our stay. I will say that after hours heading east from Rapid City, that little town of Brookings looked huge!

NoDak 4 Ever
January 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM
We spent the night in Brookings at the back end of our trip through SD last summer, and I got to go through the campus. It was late August, and everyone was in town for move in. Folks were really nice, and we enjoyed our stay. I will say that after hours heading east from Rapid City, that little town of Brookings looked huge!

I went to SDSU for a year. Brookings is very 'cozy' as they say.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I went to SDSU for a year. Brookings is very 'cozy' as they say.

Cozy is code for fat.

TribeNomad
January 11th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I am middle aged, but the co-eds that were with their families in our hotel we're quite trim. If I were to go on any more it could get pervy

BisonHype!
January 12th, 2014, 02:35 AM
Looks like a great addition for SDSU! Congrats on the new field! Big win for the fan base and players. Can't wait to come down for a game to see it completed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MplsBison
January 12th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Yet, they won't have the best atmosphere. Considering you don't attend our games or know what entails a Bison Gameday, you keep talking about NDSU from only what you see and read.

Completely untrue.

Please stay on topic.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 12th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Completely untrue.

Please stay on topic.

Ok. this is on topic. Why in the world would they have the best gameday facilities? I understand coming from a cow pasture it will be greatly improved but until they can get opposing teams talking about their facility like it's a separate entity, that won't be true.

Your hard on for the IPF is clouding your already terrible judgment.

MplsBison
January 12th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Ok. this is on topic. Why in the world would they have the best gameday facilities? I understand coming from a cow pasture it will be greatly improved but until they can get opposing teams talking about their facility like it's a separate entity, that won't be true.

Your hard on for the IPF is clouding your already terrible judgment.

I separated the gameday and practice facilities. That takes care of your IPF comment.

As to why SDSU's new stadium will be a better football gameday facility than the Fargodome: I'm judging the facility as bricks and mortar on their own. I'm not including things like tailgating tradition/atmosphere/set-up/amenities, the average attendance or how loud the fans get/gameday atmosphere.

Just the building as a stadium for watching a football game.

SDSU's stadium will be technically superior to the Fargodome in just about every aspect.

ncbears
January 12th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Looks great! I wish UNC would do something like that.

Bisonoline
January 12th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I separated the gameday and practice facilities. That takes care of your IPF comment.

As to why SDSU's new stadium will be a better football gameday facility than the Fargodome: I'm judging the facility as bricks and mortar on their own. I'm not including things like tailgating tradition/atmosphere/set-up/amenities, the average attendance or how loud the fans get/gameday atmosphere.

Just the building as a stadium for watching a football game.

SDSU's stadium will be technically superior to the Fargodome in just about every aspect.

Cherry picking your parameters to manufacture a talking point to argue about is Trolling pretty hard.

MplsBison
January 13th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Cherry picking your parameters to manufacture a talking point to argue about is Trolling pretty hard.

Not in the slightest, nor is there any such "cherry picking" going on, anyway.

Maybe you should spend less time trying to police other people's post and spend more time coming up with lucid posts or replies for yourself? Just a suggestion.

i_got_a_fever
January 13th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Video from today's Town Hall Meeting on the Stadium.

http://gojacks.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3160152

Bisonoline
January 13th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Not in the slightest, nor is there any such "cherry picking" going on, anyway.

Maybe you should spend less time trying to police other people's post and spend more time coming up with lucid posts or replies for yourself? Just a suggestion.

That narcissistic personality disorder of yours has returned you to your delusional happy place. Ask your wife to help you get back on your meds.

Some people diagnosed with a narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by unwarranted feelings of self-importance. They have a sense of entitlement and demonstrate grandiosity in their beliefs and behavior. They have a strong need for admiration, but lack feelings of empathy.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder#cite_note-4)
Symptoms of this disorder, as defined by the DSM-IV-TR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-IV) include:[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder#cite_note-DSM-IV-TR-1)

Expects to be recognized as superior and special, without superior accomplishments
Expects constant attention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_seeking), admiration and positive reinforcement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_reinforcement) from others
Envies others and believes others envy him/her
Is preoccupied with thoughts and fantasies of great success, enormous attractiveness, power, intelligence
Lacks the ability to empathize with the feelings or desires of others
Is arrogant in attitudes and behavior
Has expectations of special treatment that are unrealistic

Other symptoms in addition to the ones defined by DSM-IV-TR include: Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends, has trouble keeping healthy relationships with others, easily hurt or rejected, appears unemotional, and exaggerating special achievements and talents, setting unrealistic goals for himself/herself.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder#cite_note-Freeman_2000-5)
Narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by dramatic, emotional behavior, and an over-inflated sense of self-importance that is in the same category as antisocial and borderline personality disorders.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder#cite_note-6)
In addition to these symptoms, the person may display arrogance, show superiority, and seek power.[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder#cite_note-7) The symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder can be similar to the traits of individuals with strong self-esteem and confidence; differentiation occurs when the underlying psychological structures of these traits are considered pathological (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathology). Narcissists have such an elevated sense of self-worth that they value themselves as inherently better than others, when in reality they have a fragile self-esteem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-esteem), cannot handle criticism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism), and often try to compensate for this inner fragility by belittling or disparaging others in an attempt to validate their own self-worth. Comments and criticisms about others are vicious from sufferers of NPD, in an attempt to boost their own poor self-esteem.[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder#cite_note-8)
Another narcissist symptom is a lack of empathy. They are unable to relate, understand, and rationalize the feelings of others. Instead of behaving in a way that shows how they are feeling in the moment, they behave in the way that they feel they are expected to behave or what gives them the most attention.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder#cite_note-Freeman_2000-5)

clenz
January 13th, 2014, 07:27 PM
UNI will not be moving out of the UNIDome anytime soon...and by soon I mean it's 99% more likely my 9 month old daughter will graduate from college well before UNI moves out of the dome.

Having said that...I want nothing more than for UNI to build a new stadium. The dome was built in 1976, and while there have been millions of dollars put into it - and it looks GREAT on the inside - it still feels like it opened in 1976.

Now, UNI is installing the 39th largets video/scoreboard in the nation - and the largest in the FCS...well second largest but I don't count Tennessee State's since it is the video board for the Tennessee Titans... and a new sound system. The board is something like 30-35 feet high by 100-120 ft wide. If UNI would find some money to get rid of the ****ty colors of the seat backs I might change my tune.

i_got_a_fever
February 4th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Senate Bill 15 moves to committee today.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20140204/SPORTS0202/302040009/SDSU-Stadium-bill-way-panel

MplsBison
February 4th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Senate Bill 15 moves to committee today.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20140204/SPORTS0202/302040009/SDSU-Stadium-bill-way-panel

School officials hope the last of six stops will be the desk of Gov. Dennis Daugaard to gain construction approval and bonding authority for a venue costing $60 million to $65 million and seating upward of 19,000 fans.

The stadium would replace Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, the Jackrabbits’ home for 51 years.

Already, $19.8 million has been pledged to the project, with the SDSU Foundation vouching for future donations of $7.2 million. The request on the bond would be up to $39.6 million to cover issuance costs and the first two years of capitalized interest-only payments. That money would be repaid over 25 years by stadium-generated revenue.

It makes me happy to see that at least one of the Dakotas made it out of the stone age.

MplsBison
February 4th, 2014, 10:21 AM
http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DF&Date=20140204&Category=SPORTS0202&ArtNo=302040009&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&SDSU-Stadium-bill-way-panel

Best gameday and practice facilities (re: buildings, bricks and mortar) in the Dakotas.

Congrats!

NoDak 4 Ever
February 4th, 2014, 10:30 AM
http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DF&Date=20140204&Category=SPORTS0202&ArtNo=302040009&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&SDSU-Stadium-bill-way-panel

Best gameday and practice facilities (re: buildings, bricks and mortar) in the Dakotas.

Congrats!

http://www.behindtheblueline.ca/blog/blueline/wp-content/uploads/troll.jpg

MplsBison
February 4th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I only stated a fact.

If you want to crow about having better tailgating and a better "atmosphere" within an inferior structure, those are valid points - but tangents to the point I made.

SDSU's brick and mortar is better than NDSU's. Both practice and gameday. Like I said, facts.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 4th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I only stated a fact.

If you want to crow about having better tailgating and a better "atmosphere" within an inferior structure, those are valid points - but tangents to the point I made.

SDSU's brick and mortar is better than NDSU's. Both practice and gameday. Like I said, facts.

I will not crow at all in this thread. Everybody knows what you are doing here.

MplsBison
February 4th, 2014, 11:12 AM
I will not crow at all in this thread. Everybody knows what you are doing here.

Indeed, everyone knows I'm congratulating SDSU on their new facilities, which are going to be the best of the upper midwest FCS programs (including UNI) in terms of the buildings themselves.

I'd encourage you to stay on topic and join in on the congratulating. Please don't troll the thread.

Professor Chaos
February 4th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I'm convinced MplsBison is really Skip Bayless. If not... I can't believe God would make two of them...

JSUBison
February 4th, 2014, 01:54 PM
It makes me happy to see that at least one of the Dakotas made it out of the stone age.

This is a good point though. They still are behind the 8 ball in coaches contracts, they only can offer one year deals by law I think.

darell1976
February 4th, 2014, 02:36 PM

So UND is only halfway out of the stone age with its IPF? In seriousness I think SDSU's stadium looks awesome. I would love to have UND once they leave the Alerus redo Memorial Stadium like this. Great job Jacks!!

clenz
February 4th, 2014, 02:48 PM
UNI has had an IPF since 1976

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

MplsBison
February 4th, 2014, 03:17 PM
No no no - it was obvious that I was referring to the issuance of BONDS to (help) pay for the facilities.

This is no modern thing, yet as far as I know it's not allowed in North Dakota. Which is pure nonsense.

MplsBison
February 4th, 2014, 03:19 PM
UNI has had an IPF since 1976

If it's the main gameday facility, then it's not a true, dedicated practice facility. Same goes for basketball.

FargoBison
February 4th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I only stated a fact.

So I guess SDSU will have the best football facilities and NDSU the best basketball. Never thought I would write that considering the athletic history of both schools but I just did.

nodak651
February 5th, 2014, 12:39 AM
Correction - South Dakota will have the best.

nodak651
February 5th, 2014, 12:40 AM
Correction - South Dakota will have the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction - For basketball, South Dakota will have the best.

MplsBison
February 5th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Technically you could say that UND has the best basketball facility - if you count the Ralph Arena, but we all know that was built for optimal hockey viewing and so the bball set-up is not great.

But yes for basketball dedicated facilities I would rank them like this:

1) USD - best gameday facility, not sure if they're building a bball practice facility as well but I assume so
2 tie) UNI - second best gameday facility, not sure if they have a bball practice facility (they should)
2 tie) NDSU - tied for third best gameday facility, have bball practice facility
4) SDSU - tied for third best gameday, but no bball practice facility
5) UND - worst gameday facility (Better Arena) and no bball practice facility

MplsBison
February 5th, 2014, 01:41 PM
http://pressdakotan.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/arena_interior.jpg

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/OP/OPUJTMLIGTFGBXG.20130910192913.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lqWgiiCcF30/TK0v4owSjFI/AAAAAAAAAPI/4IPjw_PCE9Y/s1600/BisonRendering.jpg

http://visitbrookingssd.com/assets/uploads/photo-galleries/_full_crop/inside_frost_arena1.jpg

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/640/ZF/ZFDEHYUHIHRDVUA.20131125015718.jpg

clenz
February 5th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Their basketball facility...just like their dome...is nothing other than a smaller rip off of what UNI built

FargoBison
February 5th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Their basketball facility...just like their dome...is nothing other than a smaller rip off of what UNI built

It looks like a ripoff of UNI and Pitt. I only say Pitt because of the courtside club area which I hate because it takes away some of the best seats in the arena.

clenz
February 5th, 2014, 02:47 PM
It looks like a ripoff of UNI and Pitt. I only say Pitt because of the courtside club area which I hate because it takes away some of the best seats in the arena.

When they built the dakotadome the came to uni to your the dome, how it looked, what maintenance there was, etc... they then asked who built it and hired them to build a scaled back version of it....not a joke.

USD gets ready to build a new basketball arena...comes to UNI to tour the facility, see how it connects to the dome, check maintenance etc... then hire the same consulting firm to design their place in a scaled back version...again, not a joke. I'll post some other photos of the McLeod Center to show it further...down to the scoreboard design....

clenz
February 5th, 2014, 02:54 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/e6a2asa3.jpg

The scoreboards/videoboard on the south side...from our first season in the arena, I believe

We have the same viewing area, but it's raised off the floor and on the north side..again and early pictures

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/bege6y3y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/epa3equ6.jpg

Yeah....

darell1976
February 5th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Technically you could say that UND has the best basketball facility - if you count the Ralph Arena, but we all know that was built for optimal hockey viewing and so the bball set-up is not great.

But yes for basketball dedicated facilities I would rank them like this:

1) USD - best gameday facility, not sure if they're building a bball practice facility as well but I assume so
2 tie) UNI - second best gameday facility, not sure if they have a bball practice facility (they should)
2 tie) NDSU - tied for third best gameday facility, have bball practice facility
4) SDSU - tied for third best gameday, but no bball practice facility
5) UND - worst gameday facility (Better Arena) and no bball practice facility

Worst Gameday facility?? How so?

FargoBison
February 5th, 2014, 03:04 PM
YEah I'm not sure why USD didn't just go all-in in copying UNI and put the club area in the endzone, it looks so much better there.

I think it is pretty clear based on the pics.

darell1976
February 5th, 2014, 03:11 PM
YEah I'm not sure why USD didn't just go all-in in copying UNI and put the club area in the endzone, it looks so much better there.

I think it is pretty clear based on the pics.

3 out of the 5 pics have fans in them so I guess UND couldn't compare with the other two. ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 5th, 2014, 03:18 PM
I really like USD's new arena. Like Clenz said, it's very similar to their digs. It's also reminds me of VCU's Verizon Center.....

MplsBison
February 5th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Will UNI or USD have dedicated bball practice facilities? I really feel like those type of facilities are part of the "arms race" in recruiting.

That said, yes I do believe UNI's arena is better than what USD's arena will be. I put USD ahead of UNI because I believe they are building a dedicated bball practice facility while I don't think UNI has one. I'd be happy to swap them if that's incorrect.

MplsBison
February 5th, 2014, 03:24 PM

Size, mainly. All the north central FCS programs will have new bball arenas except SDSU, which has a great arena already. So then it comes down to amenities but mainly capacity. UND's Betty only holds about 3k.

FargoBison
February 5th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Will UNI or USD have dedicated bball practice facilities? I really feel like those type of facilities are part of the "arms race" in recruiting.

That said, yes I do believe UNI's arena is better than what USD's arena will be. I put USD ahead of UNI because I believe they are building a dedicated bball practice facility while I don't think UNI has one. I'd be happy to swap them if that's incorrect.

USD will have a practice facility....

http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/committees/USD/documents/USD_SportsPerformanceEnhancementFacilityFDP.pdf

darell1976
February 5th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Size, mainly. All the north central FCS programs will have new bball arenas except SDSU, which has a great arena already. So then it comes down to amenities but mainly capacity. UND's Betty only holds about 3k.

It would've been nice to have the Betty up there in size but it's better to have a smaller full arena then a giant one that's half empty. I cannot wait to see a game at the new BSA, that will be a great upgrade for their program.

clenz
February 5th, 2014, 03:31 PM
UNI has a practice gym...

MplsBison
February 5th, 2014, 11:43 PM
UNI has a practice gym...

This is a dedicated basketball practice facility:

http://archive.inside.iastate.edu/2009/0924/img/bball2.jpg

NDSU is going to have this. Looks like USD will have this. Don't believe SDSU or UND has one. Don't see anything like that on UNI's athletics website.

clenz
February 6th, 2014, 06:54 AM
UNI has a practice gym.

Also, your obsession to dedicated buildings that's are a waste of space and money is quite interesting

darell1976
February 6th, 2014, 07:50 AM
This is a dedicated basketball practice facility:

http://archive.inside.iastate.edu/2009/0924/img/bball2.jpg

NDSU is going to have this. Looks like USD will have this. Don't believe SDSU or UND has one. Don't see anything like that on UNI's athletics website.

http://www.undsports.com//ViewArticle.dbml?&&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=736161

The B
etty Engelstad Sioux Center opened in August 2004 and is home to the UND volleyball and basketball teams, while also housing the women's soccer locker room and offices. One of the premiere arenas of its kind in the country, the Sioux Center has a capacity of approximately 3,300. There are 2,600 seats with molded chair backs, 700 telescopic bleacher seats and additional seating in the VIP area.The arena features a 24,000-square foot state-of-the-art wood floor. It allows the UND volleyball, men's basketball and women's basketball teams to all practice at the same time, and can be separated by dividers.
The atmosphere created by students and fans provides an undeniable home court advantage. The arena has been recognized by the WBCA for having the best fans, best band in UND's Pride of the North pep band and best facility.
Each team's locker room is suited specifically to meet each team's needs. Each has a meeting room and video conference area, and the facility also features a players' lounge and study room with high-speed internet access. Upstairs, student-athletes and coaches can also break down game film in a more intimate setting in the video room. The arena also houses the coaches' offices for men's and women's basketball, volleyball and soccer.
When not on the court, student-athletes are usually found working out in the Brown and Bender Performance Center. Named after Mark Brown and David Bender, who graciously donated the center, it was opened during the 2005-06 season.
The Betty Engelstad Sioux Center pays tribute to Betty Engelstad, wife of the late Ralph Engelstad, and honors her continued support of North Dakota athletics.Betty Engelstad Sioux Center Quick Facts

Basketball seating 3,300
$7 million dollar facility
Complementary architecture to main arena
Brick and precast exterior shell
Matching standing seam metal roofing
50,000 gross square feet
24,000 square feet of wood floor
High quality, spring loaded wood floor
Power operated, self storing basketball standards
Power operated, self storing divider curtains
4 regulation size basketball courts
4 regulation size volleyball courts
2,600 padded upholstered seats with armrests
Telescopic bleacher seating for 700
McKinnon Company, Standford and McKinnon Families Club Lounge/VIP hospitality room for 200
Brown and Bender Performance Center
Tradition area
Granite lobby floor
Large graphic & display walls
3 home team locker rooms w/ team meeting rooms
Players lounge
Players study classroom with computers and high-speed internet

JayJ79
February 6th, 2014, 08:23 AM
UNI has a practice gym.

Also, your obsession to dedicated buildings that's are a waste of space and money is quite interesting

"basketball practice facility" = a gym. Most college campuses have a number of gym sites available.
and if the school's (gameday) arena is on-campus and owned by the school, in most cases that means the MBB team has plenty of opportunity to practice on its competition floor, which I'd have to imagine is better than practicing elsewhere.

darell1976
February 6th, 2014, 08:33 AM
"basketball practice facility" = a gym. Most college campuses have a number of gym sites available.
and if the school's (gameday) arena is on-campus and owned by the school, in most cases that means the MBB team has plenty of opportunity to practice on its competition floor, which I'd have to imagine is better than practicing elsewhere.

I was thinking the same thing, I didn't quite know where he was going with this. And if the "arena" is not available (most bball arenas are available) there can be other basketball gyms either on campus, or off (HS). UND has the Betty, the REA (hockey arena can host basketball), the Alerus (football stadium can host basketball), Hyslop Sports Center (former home for UND basketball), plus in desperation Grand Forks Central or GF Red River could open their gyms. How many teams actually need a separate basketball gym for practice? Football I can see but basketball?

clenz
February 6th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Uni has access to about 7 courts, not including the McLeod Center on campus at any given time

Bisonator
February 6th, 2014, 12:54 PM
UNI has a practice gym.

Shouldn't be they are just like Mpls's head! :D

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 01:14 PM
So as I thought, UNI and UND do not have dedicated buildings that are official basketball practice facilities for their respective programs (including things like connected locker rooms, meeting rooms, coaches officies and weight lifting/training facilities specific for the basketball team).

Just because your program doesn't have one doesn't mean your program can't succeed, of course.

It's just the next step in the ever evolving "facilities arms race" - something to show off to recruits and alumni. The big time programs have them, now some of the mid-major programs have them. It is certainly nice and very convenient for the players and coaches to have their own dedicated facility with everything they need right there and it is also a symbol for the program and it's support.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 01:17 PM
UNI has a practice gym.

The only programs that claim them to be a waste of space and money are those programs who can't afford them.

FargoBison
February 6th, 2014, 02:03 PM
A dedicated practice facility for basketball is a big deal. It is a place where players can go to and not have to worry about not being able to get in or somebody else using it. If you have it setup like NDSU or USD is going to have, the locker room is right there and lounge area as well...it creates a really impressive basketball facility. It is a plus for recruiting and it is great for the players because everything is there under one roof.

clenz
February 6th, 2014, 02:22 PM
A dedicated practice facility for basketball is a big deal. It is a place where players can go to and not have to worry about not being able to get in or somebody else using it. If you have it setup like NDSU or USD is going to have, the locker room is right there and lounge area as well...it creates a really impressive basketball facility. It is a plus for recruiting and it is great for the players because everything is there under one roof.

Everything UNI has is in the same complex...off limits to noon basketball players, with a player lounge, private training rooms, conference/video rooms, etc... it's just not it's own building...

Apparently that doesn't count

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Everything UNI has is in the same complex...off limits to noon basketball players, with a player lounge, private training rooms, conference/video rooms, etc... it's just not it's own building...

Sure it counts. It's just not as nice.

Just like the scattered facilities that NDSU football uses between the Fargodome and the BSA are not as nice as having a single, dedicated IPF/football facility with everything the players ever need all right in one facility (lockers, lounge, academics tutoring, nutrition, training, weights, meeting rooms, coaches offices, indoor practice fields, outdoor practice fields).

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 02:31 PM

Thanks, well said! The last sentence in particular is key. Like I said, it's all about the facilities arms race and program status within the university athletic community.

FargoBison
February 6th, 2014, 02:33 PM

That sounds like it is good enough to me.

With that said I know some programs aren't so fortunate. I know some of the players at the U of MN had to practice off campus because there was nowhere else for them to go during the summer. So whoever said these facilties are a waste of money or space wasn't right, in most situations they are very important.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 02:39 PM
U of MN bball practice facilities are embarrassing for a B1G program. However, they're going to correct that and will have practice facilities comparable to what Nebraska just built, in a few years.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=208564860&DB_OEM_ID=100

darell1976
February 6th, 2014, 02:44 PM
So as I thought, UNI and UND do not have dedicated buildings that are official basketball practice facilities for their respective programs (including things like connected locker rooms, meeting rooms, coaches officies and weight lifting/training facilities specific for the basketball team).

Just because your program doesn't have one doesn't mean your program can't succeed, of course.

It's just the next step in the ever evolving "facilities arms race" - something to show off to recruits and alumni. The big time programs have them, now some of the mid-major programs have them. It is certainly nice and very convenient for the players and coaches to have their own dedicated facility with everything they need right there and it is also a symbol for the program and it's support.

UND has that at the Betty. Read my post of what the Betty has (post #148) and it has it all.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 03:17 PM
UND has that at the Betty. Read my post of what the Betty has (post #148) and it has it all.

I already read it. The Betty is a very nice facility for UND bball players.

It's just technically not a dedicated basketball practice facility, that's all. It's a multi-purpose event facility.

darell1976
February 6th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I already read it. The Betty is a very nice facility for UND bball players.

It's just technically not a dedicated basketball practice facility, that's all. It's a multi-purpose event facility.

Whatever. It's not a high school gym it's a basketball arena that also houses volleyball, the only 2 clients of the Betty and basketball has priority, what doesn't it have that requires it to be a basketball practice facility? Weight lifting check, offices check, meeting rooms check, locker rooms check, separate basketball courts, 4 of them all regulation length.

Bisonoline
February 6th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Whatever. It's not a high school gym it's a basketball arena that also houses volleyball, the only 2 clients of the Betty and basketball has priority, what doesn't it have that requires it to be a basketball practice facility? Weight lifting check, offices check, meeting rooms check, locker rooms check, separate basketball courts, 4 of them all regulation length.

Arent you glad he corrected you so you know what type of facilities you have?

FargoBison
February 6th, 2014, 04:38 PM

The Betty is like a modern day Bentson Bunker Fieldhouse. UND is about to be lapped by NDSU and USD when it comes to basketball facilities.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2014, 04:44 PM
The Betty is like a modern day Bentson Bunker Fieldhouse. UND is about to be lapped by NDSU and USD when it comes to basketball facilities.

NDSU still needs to do everything possible to get into the MVC for basketball. They might/will have nice facilities but the conference is still holding them back...

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 04:48 PM

Why are you so desperate to get me to acknowledge it as a basketball practice facility?

It's not that. It's a gameday facility, the main arena for UND volleyball and basketball games. The chairs can be folded up to increase the court space for practices, sure. There are some auxiliary facilities located in the building that one would normally find at a basketball practice facility, sure.

But it's not a dedicated basketball practice facility. We're splitting hairs here. I suggest you take a look around the Iowa State and Nebraska facilities I've already linked to on here. It should be apparent why the Betty does not technically qualify to be classified the same as those facilities. It's not a slight on UND or the bball program, it's just a technicality. Move on.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 04:50 PM
NDSU still needs to do everything possible to get into the MVC for basketball. They might/will have nice facilities but the conference is still holding them back...

Incorrect.

A) The MVFC will never have NDSU. Simple as that.

B) NDSU has it better off in the Summit League, where they have a legitimate chance to rule the league and go to the NCAA tournament every season. In the MVFC they'd be middle pack at best and make the tourny once every 10-15 years.

FargoBison
February 6th, 2014, 04:53 PM

That would be great but from what I've gathered the private schools in the valley don't want NDSU in the MVC.

JayJ79
February 6th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Mpls splits hairs on the technicalities of "dedicated basketball practice facilities", yet can't comprehend the difference between the MVFC and the MVC.
alrighty then.

clenz
February 6th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Incorrect.

B) NDSU has it better off in the Summit League, where they have a legitimate chance to rule the league and go to the NCAA tournament every season. In the MVFC they'd be middle pack at best and make the tourny once every 10-15 years.

Mpls splits hairs on the technicalities of "dedicated basketball practice facilities", yet can't comprehend the difference between the MVFC and the MVC.
alrighty then.
quoted and screen shotted before the edit and following spin.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Incorrect.

So you believe it's in NDSU's best interest to remain in an inferior league in order to feel good about themselves? I understand that conference affiliation means far less in basketball than in football. With that said, I still would have thought NDSU hoops had reasonably high aspirations.

At the end of the day, if the Summit League champ is the equivalent of the 5th or 6th place MVC you're not going anywhere anyway. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Just going off of what you said....

darell1976
February 6th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Arent you glad he corrected you so you know what type of facilities you have?

He is the master facilities expert of all the campus buildings in the land.

darell1976
February 6th, 2014, 05:41 PM
So you believe it's in NDSU's best interest to remain in the an inferior league in order to feel good about themselves? I understand that conference affiliation means far less in basketball than in football. With that said, I still would have thought NDSU hoops had reasonably high aspirations.

At the end of the day, if the Summit League champ is the equivalent of the 5th or 6th place MVC you're not going anywhere anyway. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Just going off of what you said....

If the MVC opened up an invitation to NDSU they would be all over that.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 05:46 PM
alrighty then.

I wish you could see the smile on my face, to know how easy it is for me to reduce you to pouncing on a typo rather than have to come up with a counter-argument. Ear to ear.

The analogy of a kid who fakes a stomach cramp to get out of PE class dodgeball doesn't even do it justice.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 6th, 2014, 05:47 PM
If the MVC opened up an invitation to NDSU they would be all over that.

No they wouldn't. They are together with SDSU for the long haul. They aren't giving up on a travel parter/rival again.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 05:49 PM
So you believe it's in NDSU's best interest to remain in the an inferior league in order to feel good about themselves? I understand that conference affiliation means far less in basketball than in football. With that said, I still would have thought NDSU hoops had reasonably high aspirations.

I'm not going to debate the equivalent rating of the Summit Champ to the MVC conference.

Fact is, NDSU has the very highest aspirations that a low-major program can have every season:

1) Win the conference

2) Make the NCAA tournament

The Summit League best suits those aspirations, at the moment.

Besides, if we're going to fantasize about getting into the MVC then we might as well be talking about the A10 or the American. All three possibilities are hovering equally around zero.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 05:53 PM
He is the master facilities expert of all the campus buildings in the land.

What does location have to do with basketball facilities???

Isn't it true that basketball is played indoors, from Alaska, to California, to North Dakota, to New York? Why do I have to be physically located in Grand Forks to determine that the Betty Engelstad Arena is not a dedicated basketball practice facility?

It's really not rocket science. You look at some pictures and read a little bit.

Your problem, like everyone on AGS, is that you can't accept any criticism about your own program. It's not even criticism, I went well out of my way to let you know you have a very nice facility. Simply stating facts of what the Betty is NOT.

END

Bisonator
February 6th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Good thing practice facilities aren't the end all and be all for a winning program. The sum of the whole is bigger then the individual parts. :D

darell1976
February 6th, 2014, 05:59 PM
What does location have to do with basketball facilities???

Isn't it true that basketball is played indoors, from Alaska, to California, to North Dakota, to New York? Why do I have to be physically located in Grand Forks to determine that the Betty Engelstad Arena is not a dedicated basketball practice facility?

It's really not rocket science. You look at some pictures and read a little bit.

Your problem, like everyone on AGS, is that you can't accept any criticism about your own program. It's not even criticism, I went well out of my way to let you know you have a very nice facility. Simply stating facts of what the Betty is NOT.

END

My problem is you think you're an expert on things which you are not. I think I know UND a lot better than you. Does criticizing bother me, no but only if you can back it up with facts. Take a free tour of the REA and the Betty like I did and learn something.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Everything you need to see is online, without having to go to Grand Forks, ND.

The Betty is *NOT* equivalent to facilities at Iowa State and Nebraska nor will it be to what NDSU and USD are building. That's the simple fact and at this point I don't care if you won't accept it. I'm correct and you're wrong.

darell1976
February 6th, 2014, 06:03 PM
No they wouldn't. They are together with SDSU for the long haul. They aren't giving up on a travel parter/rival again.

Are you sure about that? I think some Bison fans would disagree with you. MVC > SL

darell1976
February 6th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Everything you need to see is online, without having to go to Grand Forks, ND.

The Betty is *NOT* equivalent to facilities at Iowa State and Nebraska nor will it be to what NDSU and USD are building. That's the simple fact and at this point I don't care if you won't accept it. I'm correct and you're wrong.

The Betty is not equivilant to a Big 10/12 school..shocker!!

clenz
February 6th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Good thing practice facilities aren't the end all and be all for a winning program. The sum of the whole is bigger then the individual parts. :D
Yeah...I don't know how NDSU ever won a FB title without an IPF....or even a football stadium that belongs to them.

I don't know how UNI ever made the S16, had 5 straight 20 win seasons and 10 straight 18 win seasons, without a building dedicated strictly to 2 hours of practice a day between the months of October and March....

Nevermind the fact that UNI had 10 courts on campus within a 1 minute walk of the locker room without having to step outside....but that doesn't count.

The UNIDome doesn't count as an IPF either....even though UNI football has 99% control of that thing between Feb/March and December.

Then again - how could the UNIDome be a football stadium even? **** I mean there is a 23k ticket sold concert there tomorrow night...clearly it's a concert venue.

Wait, what's that how can it be a concert venue if it hosts indoor track meets, or national wrestling championships/duals, softball tournaments, or trade shows?

I mean...what the ****?

Same thing for Madison Square Garden, or MetLife Stadium, or....****ing anything?

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I'm not going to debate the equivalent rating of the Summit Champ to the MVC conference.

Fact is, NDSU has the very highest aspirations that a low-major program can have every season:

1) Win the conference

2) Make the NCAA tournament

The Summit League best suits those aspirations, at the moment.

Besides, if we're going to fantasize about getting into the MVC then we might as well be talking about the A10 or the American. All three possibilities are hovering equally around zero.

The key phrase being "at the moment".

NDSU's best chance to garner national respect and attention is through hoops. UNI will always be a step ahead of NDSU because of basketball imo. In the grand scheme of things, Ali Farokhmanesh's shot trumps the Bison's 3-peat. Heck, his name became a verb...

The MVC, filled with NDSU peers, is one of the better college hoops conferences in the country. Wouldn't the Bison fans make the yearly pilgrimage down I29 to Arch Madness in droves?

It does not seem typical of a NDSU fan/alum to be satisfied with being a medium size fish in a tiny pound....

Bisonoline
February 6th, 2014, 07:03 PM

NDSU's best chance to garner national respect and attention is through hoops. UNI will always be a step ahead of NDSU because of basketball imo. In the grand scheme of things, Ali Farokhmanesh's shot trumps the Bison's 3-peat. Heck, his name became a verb...

The MVC, filled with NDSU peers, is one of the better college hoops conferences in the country. Wouldn't the Bison fans make the yearly pilgrimage down I29 to Arch Madness in droves?

It does not seem typical of a NDSU fan/alum to be satisfied with being a medium size fish in a tiny pound....

The typical BB fan is different than the typical FB fan. The BB fans just want to get to the dance.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 07:05 PM

It does not seem typical of a NDSU fan to be satisfied with being a medium size fish in a tiny pound....

I know you had good intentions, but your post is filled to the brim with false statements.

- NDSU's best chance to get national attention always has been and always will be football. There has already been an unbelievable amount of national attention for the Bison football program. College gameday in Fargo comes to mind. Basketball will never do anything like that for Fargo or NDSU. Never.

- NDSU is already ahead of UNI in all regards except basketball, in which they are far ahead of NDSU. But that's ok with most NDSU alumni because most don't pay attention to basketball, which is fine.

- There isn't a single school in the MVC that is a peer of NDSU. Not a single one. Most of them are teacher's colleges. NDSU is a public flagship, major research university. Heck, half the MVC teams are private schools - which you can't even compare to NDSU at all.

- Plenty of fans go down to Sioux Falls for the Summit tourny. I don't think you can get to St Louis just by going down I-29. You also need to take another, what 4 hours, over from KC. -or- you could go to Mpls and then drive the 8 hours to St Louis through Iowa and eastern Missouri on the state highways.

- NDSU is the biggest fish in the Summit pond. That's the point - every non-football team sport has a very realistic chance to go to the respective NCAA tournament by winning the conference. That's the most we should be expecting out of those sports.

Bisonator
February 6th, 2014, 07:06 PM

I don't think Mpls counts as either.:D

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Yeah...I don't know how NDSU ever won a FB title without an IPF....or even a football stadium that belongs to them.

I don't know how UNI ever made the S16, had 5 straight 20 win seasons and 10 straight 18 win seasons, without a building dedicated strictly to 2 hours of practice a day between the months of October and March....

Nevermind the fact that UNI had 10 courts on campus within a 1 minute walk of the locker room without having to step outside....but that doesn't count.

The UNIDome doesn't count as an IPF either....even though UNI football has 99% control of that thing between Feb/March and December.

Then again - how could the UNIDome be a football stadium even? **** I mean there is a 23k ticket sold concert there tomorrow night...clearly it's a concert venue.

Wait, what's that how can it be a concert venue if it hosts indoor track meets, or national wrestling championships/duals, softball tournaments, or trade shows?

I mean...what the ****?

Same thing for Madison Square Garden, or MetLife Stadium, or....****ing anything?

The following are claims that I have not made in this thread and have never made period:

- a football program needs an IPF to win a championship
- a basketball program needs a dedicated practice facility to win 20 games or make it to the sweet 16
- the basketball courts available to UNI varsity bball players on campus "don't count" (this one I explicitly stated opposite, in fact)
- UNI Dome isn't a football stadium and football practices can't be held within it

Good effort though. You have plenty of energy, but just need to learn to channel it into constructive, logical writing rather than emotionally-driven, angry writing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2014, 07:11 PM
The typical BB fan is different than the typical FB fan. The BB fans just want to get to the dance.

I know it was close and the school's first, but the NDSU fans made their presence known when they made the tournament a few years ago. NDSU fans, imo, seem like the type that would support basketball at great lengths assuming the program is successful. There seems to be a tremendous amount of school/state pride.

Bison fans would LOVE Arch Madness. Once they saw they could take over a city (or try to) for a few days they'd be all about it...

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 07:14 PM
The Betty is not equivilant to a Big 10/12 school..shocker!!

Good, I knew you would eventually agree with me. It's always just a matter of putting it into a perspective that the other person can accept.

So yes, UND is at a disadvantage to NDSU and USD's practice facilities.

- - - Updated - - -

I know it was close and the school's first, but the NDSU fans made their presence known when they made the tournament a few years ago. NDSU fans, imo, seem like the type that would support basketball at great lengths assuming the program is successful. There seems to be a tremendous amount of school/state pride.

Bison fans would LOVE Arch Madness. Once they saw they could take over a city for a few days they'd be all about it...

Again, if we're going to fantasize about conferences that we will never be invited to - how about the A10 or American?

Bisonoline
February 6th, 2014, 07:24 PM

Bison fans would LOVE Arch Madness. Once they saw they could take over a city (or try to) for a few days they'd be all about it...

Bison fans would support the team. The issue is BB wasnt successful for a very long time. Then you had the team from about 3-4 years ago with Woodside. Of course the band wagon was on fire but the following years we headed south again and didnt capitalize on the momentum. You also have the fact that our current BB arena sucks. Still have the original bleachers from 1970 when it was orginaly built. Think chiropractor after watching a game there. With a new arena that will be breaking ground this spring I think you will see greater fan support in the future. I will say NDSU does have some very hardcore BB fans.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I know you had good intentions, but your post is filled to the brim with false statements.

- NDSU's best chance to get national attention always has been and always will be football. There has already been an unbelievable amount of national attention for the Bison football program. College gameday in Fargo comes to mind. Basketball will never do anything like that for Fargo or NDSU. Never.

You're only going to get so much national attention playing FCS football. App State, imo, received more attention during their run because of the win over Michigan. Now, most college fans couldn't tell you they're FBS. NDSU has enjoyed a solid 15 minutes of fame but the fact is they're playing an "inferior" brand of football. Wichita State is playing at the absolute highest level. Lehigh-Lafayette will get a lot of play this year but it won't come close to what the basketball teams win over Duke meant in terms of national recognition.

- NDSU is already ahead of UNI in all regards except basketball, in which they are far ahead of NDSU. But that's ok with most NDSU alumni because most don't pay attention to basketball, which is fine.

If you're referencing sports I'll take your word for it..

- There isn't a single school in the MVC that is a peer of NDSU. Not a single one. Most of them are teacher's colleges. NDSU is a public flagship, major research university. Heck, half the MVC teams are private schools - which you can't even compare to NDSU at all.

NDSU is NOT the flagship school of North Dakota. Rather it is the state's land grant institution. If you want to get into semantics, UND trumps NDSU in terms of rankings. In no way shape or form is NDSU superior to the majority of the MVC schools. Besides, many of them are your friends in arms during football season. The sport NDSU only cares about, right?

- Plenty of fans go down to Sioux Falls for the Summit tourny. I don't think you can get to St Louis just by going down I-29. You also need to take another, what 4 hours, over from KC. -or- you could go to Mpls and then drive the 8 hours to St Louis through Iowa and eastern Missouri on the state highways.

Well then they have support! Like driving to Frisco, 129 is a key component to reaching St. Louis...

- NDSU is the biggest fish in the Summit pond. That's the point - every non-football team sport has a very realistic chance to go to the respective NCAA tournament by winning the conference. That's the most we should be expecting out of those sports.

But you're not the biggest fish in the Summit League. The Bison haven't been to the tournament since 2009....

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 07:56 PM
You're only going to get so much national attention playing FCS football. App State, imo, received more attention during their run because of the win over Michigan. Now, most college fans couldn't tell you they're FBS. NDSU has enjoyed a solid 15 minutes of fame but the fact is they're playing an "inferior" brand of football. Wichita State is playing at the absolute highest level. Lehigh-Lafayette will get a lot of play this year but it won't come close to what the basketball teams win over Duke meant in terms of national recognition.

If you're referencing sports I'll take your word for it..

NDSU is NOT the flagship school of North Dakota. Rather it is the state's land grant institution. If you want to get into semantics, UND trumps NDSU in terms of rankings. In no way shape or form is NDSU superior to the majority of the MVC schools. Besides, many of them are your friends in arms during football season. The sport NDSU only cares about, right?

Well then they have support! Like driving to Frisco, 129 is a key component to reaching St. Louis...

But you're not the biggest fish in the Summit League. The Bison haven't been to the tournament since 2009....

- I agree that participating and winning the FCS playoffs is a limited national exposure deal. That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the national respect and recognition given to the school for CFP wins over Minnesota, Kansas and Kansas St with Iowa St and Iowa on the radar. There's that. Then there's the fact that College Gameday came to Fargo. That alone produced more national exposure for the school than anything basketball has ever done or ever will do. The closest they can claim is the piece ESPN ran on the 2009 basketball team helping with the latest flood season in Fargo that spring (which in itself was a great piece!)

- Football is what I meant in being superior to UNI, although they are superior in wrestling as well. I already mentioned that UNI is superior in men's basketball. The rest of the sports I don't know, but they don't really matter. As far as academics go, NDSU is vastly superior to UNI. They're not in the same category.

- NDSU and UND are flagships of the NDUS system. That is a fact that is above argument. Please educate yourself, the information is freely available. UND does not trump NDSU in any overall sense. I will openly admit they specific areas of excellence (probably the business school) or outright exclusive areas (NDSU has no law school, medical school or aerospace programs). Likewise NDSU operates exclusive areas in agriculture, ag economics, etc. Those are all great assets for the state of North Dakota.

- I'll repeat this once again for correctness and posterity: there isn't a single public school in the MVC that is a peer of NDSU. They're all teacher's colleges. That means they're inferior academically to NDSU, which is a major, research university and a state flagship. Peer schools to NDSU in MVC states are: Kansas St, Iowa St and Purdue. Private schools are not comparable.

- Google maps reports that Fargo residents should drive to Mpls and then south to St Louis via Iowa to save 50mi. each way over driving to KC and then over to STL. FWIW...

- NDSU and SDSU are most certainly the biggest fish in the Summit. It's not defined by winning the Summit tournament.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2014, 08:17 PM
- I'll repeat this once again for correctness and posterity: there isn't a single public school in the MVC that is a peer of NDSU. They're all teacher's colleges. That means they're inferior academically to NDSU, which is a major, research university and a state flagship. Peer schools to NDSU in MVC states are: Kansas St, Iowa St and Purdue. Private schools are not comparable

Purdue is a peer institution? You can't be serious. That's like saying UVA is one of Temple's peers....

NDSU has nothing on most of the public schools in the MVC. To say they are inferior to NDSU is laughable at best when you consider rankings, research level and endowments. NDSU would do well to find their way into the league. It would only enhance the reputation of the university.

darell1976
February 6th, 2014, 08:19 PM
So Jackrabbit fans..how's that new stadium coming along.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Purdue is a peer institution? You can't be serious. That's like saying UVA is one of Temple's peers....

NDSU has nothing on most of the public schools in the MVC. To say they are inferior to NDSU is laughable at best when you consider rankings, research level and endowments. NDSU would do well to find their way into the league. It would only enhance the reputation of the university.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf13325/pdf/tab18.pdf

(FY 2011 is the latest year they released the full data tables for. They didn't release anything for FY12 and are going to wait until Nov 2014 to release FY13 data)

NDSU - #157 - 53.4M

IL St - #358 - 4.6M
IN St - #489 - 1.3M
MO St - #350 - 4.8M
UNI - #421 - 2.3M
SIU - #214 - 23.7M
WSU - #265 - 13M

Like I said, they're almost all teacher's colleges and therefore not peers to NDSU. Sorry, facts are facts.

That said, SIU and WSU are quite a bit better than the rest. Looks like SIU has a school of medicine that is a separate institution but they're counting it in the Carbondale research numbers. Without that it'd be down with the rest of the teacher's colleges. WSU looks like it wasn't a teacher's college (normal school) but was rather a "municipal college" before joining the state system and feathering themselves a title "research university" in doing so, though they're not even within sight of U of KS or KSU.

clenz
February 6th, 2014, 09:03 PM

I've touched on this many times before...so I'll keep this relatively brief.

NDSU, SDSU, and USD have as good of a chance to get into the MVC as UNI does the B12. I'll list the reasons briefly rather than a full post like I usually do except one, which is by far the most important and can't be done in a short time.

1. Noteven close to the footprint
2. Not even close to any recruiting grounds...The Twin Cities you say? UNI pulls a lot of players from there you say? UNI is closer to the cities than NDSU...
3. ZERO media market exposure to anywhere good. The Sioux Falls and Fargo media markets don't mean **** to the MVC.
4...this one could get long...NONE OF THE MVC SCHOOLS WANT THEM. Look at who the replacement candidates for Creighton were - Loyola (who got in), Belmont, ORU, Denver....What do they have in common? Private schools that are basketball focused. The MVC is a basketball league that happens to have football playing schools in it...think of it like the old Big East except that even the football playing schools are really basketball first (think UCONN, G'Town and Nova)...The league is made of 6 public and 4 private) (Bradley, Loyola, Drake, Evansville as private and UNI, SIU, ISU, ISU, MSU, WSU as public) with 5 and 5 football and non football. There is a very very delicate balance in the conference. The private schools don't want to be too over run by public and non of the non football schools want to be over run with football schools. The public football schools understand that and do whatever it takes to keep that balance. The only public school that got a serious look when looking for a school to replace Creighton was UW-Milwaukee and it wasn't that strong of a look. The old Big East is the best/closest example to the MVC. All of the MVC schools watched what happened to the Big East and don't want that. That break up scared the **** out of every MVC school to a certain extent. I'll leave this point at that but...yeah.

Also, as for NDSU have clearly better athletics than UNI...

Mens BB has 5 NCAAs, a S16, and an NIT since 2003-2004...10 straight 18 win seasons, been ranked in the top 25 in multiple seasons, 5 straight 20 win seasons
Womens BB has 3 NCAAs the last 7 years or so with multiple conference titles.
UNI wresting is ranked #5 in the nation and is undefeated in duals - including 3 top 10 wins and near the top of the country in attendance...all with like 1 senior wrestler.
UNI volleyball is ranked in the top 15 pretty much every year, multiple sweet 16s, hosted NCAA tournament rounds multiple times, in the top 5-10 every year in attendance (number 3 this past year I think), Coach Bobbi Petersen is in the top 10 in NCAA history in wins and win %. I believe that the volleyball team outdrew NDSU basketball this year.
UNI softball has a couple conference titles and is the preseason favorite this year in the MVC. NDSU had a nice run in softball a couple years ago though...but UNI did beat NDSU last season and went deep into regionals.
UNI track and cross country has been ranked in the top 10 pretty recently, has had multiple events in nationals, has had runners on olympic teams, one of the top 800 runners in the world (Tyler Mulder) and one of the top decathlon athletes in the nation

I don't know a ton about NDSU athletics...but I'd have a hard time believe top to bottom they are a better athletic department

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Clenz,

I think the A10 is a better example than the Big East. The A10 is mix-up of every type of school possible yet it's worked extremely well for 30 years.

I see all these nice new arenas then read these schools really aren't doing anything else to improve their national profile. Perhaps the facilities alone are enough to raise the Summit's profile....

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Great post Clenz. Thanks.

The part about NDSU & SDSU never getting into the MVC is as spot on as it gets. And it's from someone on the inside of the MVC. Any NDSU fan who thinks the MVC is a realistic target is delusional. Let's stick in the Summit and make it the best it can be.

As to the part about comparing athletics - football is what matters. We already know UNI is better in men's basketball. I did not realize UNI was no longer members of the WWC and now in the MAC with Missouri, ODU and six MAC teams. That's probably a better conference for wrestling. So I retract my statement about NDSU wrestling being superior. The rest of it - women's volleyball, women's bball, softball, track ... none of it matters. Congrats on your success though.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Clenz,

I think the A10 is a better example than the Big East. The A10 is mix-up of every type of school possible yet it's worked extremely well for 30 years.

I see all these nice new arenas then read these schools really aren't doing anything else to improve their national profile. Perhaps the facilities alone are enough to raise the Summit's profile....

The Summit is a low-major and will probably never get two teams in. It is what it is.

It works well for NDSU, which has no realistic option to go anywhere else.

clenz
February 6th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Clenz,

My reference is to the old big east and how public/private and football/non football not co-existing caused the conference to crumble like a wet paper towel

FargoBison
February 6th, 2014, 09:26 PM

(FY 2011 is the latest year they released the full data tables for. They didn't release anything for FY12 and are going to wait until Nov 2014 to release FY13 data)

NDSU - #157 - 53.4M

IL St - #358 - 4.6M
IN St - #489 - 1.3M
MO St - #350 - 4.8M
UNI - #421 - 2.3M
SIU - #214 - 23.7M
WSU - #265 - 13M

Like I said, they're almost all teacher's colleges and therefore not peers to NDSU. Sorry, facts are facts.

That said, SIU and WSU are quite a bit better than the rest. Looks like SIU has a school of medicine that is a separate institution but they're counting it in the Carbondale research numbers. Without that it'd be down with the rest of the teacher's colleges. WSU looks like it wasn't a teacher's college (normal school) but was rather a "municipal college" before joining the state system and feathering themselves a title "research university" in doing so, though they're not even within sight of U of KS or KSU.

NDSU's total research is $134 million in 2011...Your numbers are federal only....

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf13325/pdf/tab13.pdf

NDSU's peers are not MVC schools, add up basically all the research their schools do and it will probably be over NDSU's total expenditures but not by much.

NDSU's academic peers are schools like Wyoming and Montana State. If NDSU wants to be a in conference of peers it should join the MWC, not the MVC. But that isn't going to happen either...I've pretty much accepted the fact that NDSU will never be in a conference of peer schools, it is what it is. The school wallowed around in D2 for way too long.

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Yes I know the numbers were federal only. The ability to land federal grants is the best way to rank the importance of a given school's research program.

If you look at the overall sources for NDSU's #134M figure you actually can see that nearly a quarter of it was institutional funds! http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf13325/pdf/tab14.pdf

Meaning the school is trying to pump up its own research numbers by putting its own money into research instead of paying for other things, like building maintenance, capital expenses, etc. There was also a a third that came from state money, probably most of it for agriculture research. But I wouldn't be surprised if ND has started some initiative between the two flagships in technology research and creating companies in the state. That type of thing. Anyway..

And yes I absolutely agree that the best match for peer schools to NDSU are other flagship public universities in small states. UND, SDSU, USD, MT St, U of MT, U of WY are the best matches. I was merely pointing out that for the states in which MVC schools reside, the closest thing in spirit to peers for NDSU would be the corresponding public flagship universities that include the agriculture schools (Iowa St, Kansas St and Purdue).

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2014, 09:48 PM

NDSU - #157 - 53.4M

IL St - #358 - 4.6M
IN St - #489 - 1.3M
MO St - #350 - 4.8M
UNI - #421 - 2.3M
SIU - #214 - 23.7M
WSU - #265 - 13M

I don't see any relationship between research spending and quality of school/"teacher school". And I certainly don't see research spending being the most important qualifier when it comes to determining the quality of a school. It only paints part of the picture...

Temple's research expenditures were higher than Notre Dame and Rennsselaer. That means nothing to me in the grand scheme of things....

I love to learn and read about different schools. Like many others before me, I'm not sure where you're coming from. All I know is, the MVC is a darn good hoops league that gives its universities (that are a bit "obscure") tremendous exposure.

These arenas and stadiums all look great so they're doing something right. A10 brethren, St. Joe's, Fordham and La Salle would love to have those gyms...

FargoBison
February 6th, 2014, 09:52 PM

I don't think you understand that NDSU and MVC schools have different academic profiles. One of NDSU's main programs is engineering, NDSU would be a better fit in the MAC institutionally then the MVC.

I won't say MVC schools are inferior(I don't want it to sound that way either) but you are comparing apples and oranges.

clenz
February 6th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I don't see any relationship between research spending and quality of school/"teacher school". And I certainly don't see research spending being the most important qualifier when it comes to determining the quality of a school. It only paints part of the picture...

Temple's research expenditures were higher than Notre Dame and Rennsselaer. That means nothing to me in the grand scheme of things....

I love to learn and read about different schools. Like many others before me, I'm not sure where you're coming from. All I know is, the MVC is a darn good hoops league that gives its universities (that are a bit "obscure") tremendous exposure.

These arenas and stadiums all look great so they're doing something right. A10 brethren, St. Joe's, Fordham and La Salle would love to have those gyms...
UNI is one of the smallest arenas at 7,200ish capacity.

The arenas in the MVC, sans Drake, are gorgeous

MplsBison
February 6th, 2014, 10:05 PM

Well, I can't make you see anything. You are the one who has to open your eyes. No offense meant by that...honestly.

No, research isn't the only thing. But that's what NDSU emphasizes. The MVC public schools do not, for the most part.

And yes a lot of nice arenas, but not on par with MVC arenas. Appreciate your encouragement though.

IBleedYellow
February 6th, 2014, 10:23 PM
I'm going to say this: MVC is a pipedream, there is only one way to get yourself better, and that is to play tougher competition. The fact that xDSU's would be able to raise the competition level in conference would be amazing.

But alas, Pipedreams very rarely come true.

BisonFan02
February 8th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Completely off thread topic, but I'm going to say this again.....NDSU is NOT going to be in the MVC...nor should they want to be. I'm a fan of all NDSU sports (go to quite a few men's bball games), but any conference moves will be driven by football...for the advancement of football. It is what it is....

mmiller_34
February 8th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Can't wait for 2016!

eiupantherfan94
February 10th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Did a little searching and found the artist renderings. The new stadium looks to be awesome. This makes me yearn for to EIU would get going with the plans our AD has for our new stadium. Anyone who watched the playoff game vs. Towson probably saw how old our current stadium was.

Link to renderings: http://www.gojacks.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&PALBID=1037648

MplsBison
February 10th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Test

- - - Updated - - -

Test 2

MplsBison
February 10th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Testing, 1, 2, 3.

MplsBison
February 10th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Testing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....

Bisonoline
February 10th, 2014, 11:29 PM
It looks great! Look forward to watching a game there. The last two times Ive been there the facilities have been pathetic. No other way I can describe it.

Kemo
February 11th, 2014, 07:17 PM
SDSU beat writer Terry Vandrovec tweets:

JUST IN: South Dakota Senate approves proposed $60-65M @SDSUFootball (https://twitter.com/SDSUFootball) stadium by 34-0 vote with 1 excused. Next stop: House Appropriations.

MarkyMark
February 12th, 2014, 10:33 AM
I'm going to say this: MVC is a pipedream, there is only one way to get yourself better, and that is to play tougher competition. The fact that xDSU's would be able to raise the competition level in conference would be amazing.

But alas, Pipedreams very rarely come true.

Does Wichita State want to move to a more well known conference? Would any conference take them? I know they are an outlier for any conference but with the success they are having - they must be an attractive candidate. I bring this up cause if the MVC were to lose Wichita I think the MVC loses a lot of its Mid-Major prestige.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Does Wichita State want to move to a more well known conference? Would any conference take them? I know they are an outlier for any conference but with the success they are having - they must be an attractive candidate. I bring this up cause if the MVC were to lose Wichita I think the MVC loses a lot of its Mid-Major prestige.

Doubt it. The MVC is primarily a basketball conference and most of the schools only have a passing interest in football. Since WSU doesn't have football, they wouldn't really fit with a bigger conference.

clenz
February 12th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Doubt it. The MVC is primarily a basketball conference and most of the schools only have a passing interest in football. Since WSU doesn't have football, they wouldn't really fit with a bigger conference.

That's their huge hang up. No football, no intention of sharing football, and a public universality....2 of the 3 are great for the a10 and big east bit the other one is a rather large hang up....especially since they aren't just a public...They are a public with very low academic standards which will hurt them as well.

mmiller_34
February 22nd, 2014, 11:56 AM
This photo doesn't do the progress justice. But this is what the IPF looked like as of yesterday. 18855

mmiller_34
February 22nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Test. Not sure why my previous post didn't go through.

edit: I guess I'll try again.

mmiller_34
February 22nd, 2014, 12:00 PM
This thread is messed up.

FYI: in case your wondering.. For about 5 min the thread was only showing 17 pages long. It wouldn't let me try to the last page. No idea. Anyway I guess I see my old posts now. Carry on. Good pic huh?

gotts
February 22nd, 2014, 01:43 PM
This photo doesn't do the progress justice. But this is what the IPF looked like as of yesterday. 18855

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18855&d=1393091666

darell1976
February 22nd, 2014, 01:53 PM
Nice pic, as long as the snow stays away the construction can really get a jump.

mmiller_34
February 22nd, 2014, 09:30 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18855&d=1393091666

Thanks. Nearly 10 years on this board--still can't figure out how to post a picture well.

gotts
February 22nd, 2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks. Nearly 10 years on this board--still can't figure out how to post a picture well.

No prob. We're just like a brothel, you get it up and we'll help you with the rest.

KUlawJack
February 27th, 2014, 09:02 AM
House Appropriations has passed it unanimously. Now onto the House floor for final approval to get the stadium going.

citdog
February 28th, 2014, 02:24 AM
House Appropriations has passed it unanimously. Now onto the House floor for final approval to get the stadium going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_0wFh-ceRU

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 28th, 2014, 07:13 AM

Is the new CAS going to have grass or turf?

KUlawJack
February 28th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Is the new CAS going to have grass or turf?

Turf system. Something unique. Can't remember the exact details however.

BisonFan02
February 28th, 2014, 02:43 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pte2XO66Nwg/SFLCyLuCNsI/AAAAAAAABgI/idExxNRZQrE/s400/uniquefork.jpg

Granted, as a Bison fan, I'm the one to talk *cough* rolling system *cough* :D

i_got_a_fever
February 28th, 2014, 04:07 PM

A Soy Based Turf, to keep to the Land Grant Mission.

JayJ79
March 1st, 2014, 02:57 AM
A Soy Based Turf, to keep to the Land Grant Mission.

big pile of tofu

Jackal
March 11th, 2014, 05:50 PM
House just passed it 62-7. On to the Governor!

Yotes
March 11th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I'd be surprised if anyone rejected this. A new stadium is needed, badly, and all these steps are really just formalities.

Twentysix
March 12th, 2014, 12:53 AM
House just passed it 62-7. On to the Governor!

Who are the 7 assholes voting against it?

TheRevSFA
March 12th, 2014, 07:46 AM

USD alumni

KUlawJack
March 12th, 2014, 08:46 AM

The seven "No" votes in the House were:

Steve Hickey (R, Minnehaha)
Isaac Latterell (R, Lincoln)
Stace Nelson (R., Bon Homme, Douglas, Hanson, Hutchinson, McCook)
Lance Russell (R., Custer, Fall River, Pennington)
Blaine Campbell (R., Pennington)
Don Kopp (R., Pennington)
Betty Olson (R., Butte, Harding, Perkins)

A review of higher education bills in South Dakota, no matter the cause, would reveal an awful lot of "no" votes from these 7, even when no State tax dollars are included. Here's a link to the bill:

http://legis.sd.gov/Legislative_Session/Bills/Bill.aspx?Bill=15&Session=2014

i_got_a_fever
March 24th, 2014, 03:32 PM
And we have the Governor's Signature! Great Day to be a Jackrabbit!

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20140324/UPDATES/303240038/Governor-signs-bill-clears-way-65-million-SDSU-football-stadium

Bisonator
March 24th, 2014, 05:19 PM
And we have the Governor's Signature! Great Day to be a Jackrabbit!

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20140324/UPDATES/303240038/Governor-signs-bill-clears-way-65-million-SDSU-football-stadium

Congrats wabbits!

IBleedYellow
March 25th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I just read in the article:

Artificial turf!!! Holy crap!

buffalobill
March 25th, 2014, 11:48 PM
I just read in the article:

Artificial turf!!! Holy crap!

it's rabbits that bleed yellow!xnodx

citdog
March 26th, 2014, 01:01 AM
the "Dykehouse"

WOW!

is "Lesbian Barn" better?

BisonFan02
March 26th, 2014, 08:20 AM
the "Dykehouse"

WOW!

Yes :D

i_got_a_fever
March 26th, 2014, 08:42 AM
the "Dykehouse"

WOW!

I guess if we are going to add a letter to Dykhouse, I'll go ahead and subtract a letter from Fargodome.

the "Fagodome"

WOW!

is "Gay Bar" better?

Thumper76
March 26th, 2014, 08:48 PM
the "Dykehouse"

WOW!

When the dude donates $1 million, you name the damn thing after him.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 27th, 2014, 11:40 AM
They should call it the subprime vampire lair.

i_got_a_fever
April 7th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Videos on the project.

http://danajdykhousestadium.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3203914

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/the-future-home-of-the-jacks-/?id=162468

citdog
April 9th, 2014, 09:29 AM
They should call it the subprime vampire lair.

LOOK at that! A Poli post in the FCS Discussion Board........