PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League way down

bluehenbillk
September 25th, 2006, 07:10 AM
no trash talk intended but is this year the low-water mark for the Patriot? Nobody seems willing to step forward, the big 3, Lafayette, Lehigh & Colgate all seem to be struggling.

cosmo here
September 25th, 2006, 07:47 AM
no trash talk intended but is this year the low-water mark for the Patriot? Nobody seems willing to step forward, the big 3, Lafayette, Lehigh & Colgate all seem to be struggling.

isn't there already a thread on this?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14043&page=3

Pards Rule
September 25th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Yeah, we are stinking up the joint.

carney2
September 25th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Don't know about any low water mark, but you can get across this stream at the moment without getting your feet wet. There's more to come. The "Big Three" have more than a few OOCs to go: Colgate plays Cornell and Princeton; Lafayette plays Yale and Harvard; and Lehigh plays Harvard. Even hardcore PL optimists would probably admit that there are at least two or three more losses buried in there somewhere.

Pards Rule
September 25th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Carney, as long as they aren't coming from the Pards!

UNHknowledge
September 25th, 2006, 10:05 AM
PL...MUST start granting scholarships.
I have a question...Has PL basketball began granting scholarships? Because if they haven't then what Bucknell basketball has done in the last 2 seasons is even more remarkable.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Isn't the theory that the PL is suddenly bad based on four hypotheses:

1) Princeton is a crappy team, and they beat Lehigh and Lafayette;
2) Monmouth is a crappy team, and they beat Colgate;
3) Albany is a crappy team, and they beat Lehigh;
4) Penn is a crappy team, and they beat Lafayette.

People are pointing to the fact that Albany lost to Fordham as the fact that they are "crappy", yet conveniently ignoring their two wins at Lehigh and Delaware. I think Albany is a good team.

Nobody seems to realize - or are willing to acknowlege - that Princeton is a good team. It's amazing to me that people are saying that Lehigh and Lafayette LOST these games - not that Princeton WON these games. Even if you think I'm full of it, you have to acknowlege that Princeton could possibly be a team that wins the Ivy League this year.

Penn? Does anyone actually think they have a bad team this year? They are picked to be in the Ivy title race, and although they lost to Villanova I think it's too early to say if they are a bad team. Like Princeton, they look like they will be competing for the Ivy title as well.

Monmouth? They are 4-0 and haven't let up more than 13 points a game in 4 games. Yes, their hardest game was against Colgate, and they had some easy competition. But, like Princeton, you can't say that this is a bad team yet. They haven't lost, and they have at least proven they have some talent. I think they're better than CCSU.

Will everyone be whining that the Patriot League is bad when on November 3rd? Princeton and Penn could be undefeated in Ivy play, while (potentially) a 9-0 Monmouth and 8-1 Albany could be looking ahead to their November 11th matchup as to a possible I-AA playoff berth.

If Bucknell, Cornell or Yale beats any of these teams, then yes, feel free to say that the PL is bad. Are we a 1-bid conference? Probably; our conference is lacking a quality OOC win (and, no, Lehigh's win over 1-3 Villanova doesn't count yet). But I think it's wrong to bury Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate at this point.

colgate13
September 25th, 2006, 10:15 AM
The low water mark is probably 1995.

colgate13
September 25th, 2006, 10:16 AM
PL...MUST start granting scholarships.
I have a question...Has PL basketball began granting scholarships? Because if they haven't then what Bucknell basketball has done in the last 2 seasons is even more remarkable.

The PL allows scholarships in all sports BUT football. Bucknell is a scholarship hoops team.

UNHknowledge
September 25th, 2006, 10:20 AM
The PL allows scholarships in all sports BUT football. Bucknell is a scholarship hoops team.

Ahhh...thats what I figured. Football MUST get on board. Thanks Colgate13.

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Isn't the theory that the PL is suddenly bad based on four hypotheses:

1) Princeton is a crappy team, and they beat Lehigh and Lafayette;
2) Monmouth is a crappy team, and they beat Colgate;
3) Albany is a crappy team, and they beat Lehigh;
4) Penn is a crappy team, and they beat Lafayette.

People are pointing to the fact that Albany lost to Fordham as the fact that they are "crappy", yet conveniently ignoring their two wins at Lehigh and Delaware. I think Albany is a good team.

Nobody seems to realize - or are willing to acknowlege - that Princeton is a good team. It's amazing to me that people are saying that Lehigh and Lafayette LOST these games - not that Princeton WON these games. Even if you think I'm full of it, you have to acknowlege that Princeton could possibly be a team that wins the Ivy League this year.

Penn? Does anyone actually think they have a bad team this year? They are picked to be in the Ivy title race, and although they lost to Villanova I think it's too early to say if they are a bad team. Like Princeton, they look like they will be competing for the Ivy title as well.

Monmouth? They are 4-0 and haven't let up more than 13 points a game in 4 games. Yes, their hardest game was against Colgate, and they had some easy competition. But, like Princeton, you can't say that this is a bad team yet. They haven't lost, and they have at least proven they have some talent. I think they're better than CCSU.

Will everyone be whining that the Patriot League is bad when on November 3rd? Princeton and Penn could be undefeated in Ivy play, while (potentially) a 9-0 Monmouth and 8-1 Albany could be looking ahead to their November 11th matchup as to a possible I-AA playoff berth.

If Bucknell, Cornell or Yale beats any of these teams, then yes, feel free to say that the PL is bad. Are we a 1-bid conference? Probably; our conference is lacking a quality OOC win (and, no, Lehigh's win over 1-3 Villanova doesn't count yet). But I think it's wrong to bury Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate at this point.

This is all true LFN. However, I do not agree with the four-pointed theory above. I for one, along with many others, agree that all of those teams are very good and have huge potential this year. But... we should be winning those games, definetely over half to if not all of them.. Lafayette had their chances and had serious lapses... Lehigh has compatibility issues (?), Colgate.. don't know there but with their talent they should not be losing to Monmouth.. Out of the bunch, I'd give Lehigh the pass and come down hard on Lafayette and Cornell.. we should not be losing those games...

As for other OOC... How about Bucknell putting up 21 points on Richmond? And they did beat Cornell.. and Duqusne... Bucknell is the OOC savior apparently... Ken_Z must be happy with that...

LUHawker
September 25th, 2006, 11:11 AM
This is all true LFN. However, I do not agree with the four-pointed theory above. I for one, along with many others, agree that all of those teams are very good and have huge potential this year. But... we should be winning those games, definetely over half to if not all of them.. Lafayette had their chances and had serious lapses... Lehigh has compatibility issues (?), Colgate.. don't know there but with their talent they should not be losing to Monmouth.. Out of the bunch, I'd give Lehigh the pass and come down hard on Lafayette and Cornell.. we should not be losing those games...

As for other OOC... How about Bucknell putting up 21 points on Richmond? And they did beat Cornell.. and Duqusne... Bucknell is the OOC savior apparently... Ken_Z must be happy with that...

I wouldnt' annoint Bucknell the savior just yet:smiley_wi Yes, BU scored 21 on Richmond, but lost by 27. Duquense and Cornell don't carry much weight, but BU does have 2 OOC wins compared to just one each for LU, CU and LC.

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I wouldnt' annoint Bucknell the savior just yet:smiley_wi Yes, BU scored 21 on Richmond, but lost by 27. Duquense and Cornell don't carry much weight, but BU does have 2 OOC wins compared to just one each for LU, CU and LC.

Exactly... they are at least winning OOC games... HC beat Marist.. Lehigh beat Villanova... G'town beat Stony Brook.. Colgate beat Dartmouth.. Lafayette beat SHU.. and that's it I believe.. not exactly a stellar last save for one...

ngineer
September 25th, 2006, 08:08 PM

I think 14 of those 21 came late against second/third teamers..

ngineer
September 25th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Another two weeks and we'll have a pretty good idea of the strength or lack thereof with some more comparables. Sort of like assessing real estate. No question some of these losses by the PL were eyebrow raisers. Nothing wrong with the fact that the NEC has improved the quality of their athletes and can no longer be taken for granted. I'm afraid a number our players have mentally approached these games that way, despite all the preaching the coaches do, they're still kids.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Lehigh has a major chance this week to make a statement for itself and for the league with Harvard comming to Goodman. Lehigh is also trying to avoid losing their 4th straight at home. It has to be many many years since that has happened, maybe '92?