PDA

View Full Version : Question about bidding to host a playoff game

bodoyle
September 18th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Hi Guys. I got a question. Someone on our messageboard mentioned that bids for hosting are submitted in roughly 4-6 weeks from now. That seems awfully early. Can anyone confirm/deny this, and is the date (whatever date it is) public knowledge? I've looked around and can't find anything.

Thanks!

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I have no ****ing idea.

-JMU AD Jeff Bourne

Twentysix
September 18th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Hi Guys. I got a question. Someone on our messageboard mentioned that bids for hosting are submitted in roughly 4-6 weeks from now. That seems awfully early. Can anyone confirm/deny this, and is the date (whatever date it is) public knowledge? I've looked around and can't find anything.

Thanks!

I am pretty sure they are submitted the final Saturday of the season. I would think they are due Nov 22 or 23 this year.

bodoyle
September 18th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I am pretty sure they are submitted the final Saturday of the season.

I was under that same impression. I thought the NCAA site would have info, but if it does, I can't find anything.

knucklehead
September 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I was under that same impression. I thought the NCAA site would have info, but if it does, I can't find anything.

I do believe it's the last Sat....But you will not need to worry about it after 10/19 in the 'Burg! xthumbsupxxlolx

bodoyle
September 18th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I do believe it's the last Sat....But you will not need to worry about it after 10/19 in the 'Burg! xthumbsupxxlolx

Haha I am worried about that game, but was just generally curious about the bids.

knucklehead
September 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Yea, that series is crazy with the whole home team vibe. We shall see. Liberty has to face UR and ODU before that one, so I'll get back to ya.

Incidentally, I do like how your Chicken in your avatar is already going up in FLAMES!

RabidRabbit
September 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM
The original post of a late Oct/first weekend of NOV. is the correct timeframe for the schools to BID to host games. All still likely eligible (still have chance to get to 7 D-I Wins) bid for the RIGHT TO HOST. The selection committee uses that information to make pairings, and who will host for the various games. NOTE: SEEDED TEAMS have to defer (say they do NOT want to host) to NOT be a host. McNeese may have made such a request in 2005, after Hurricane Rita ripped through, could be an example. Georgetown, and their 3K capacity stadium may be another that would consider deferring hosting. Conversely, high attendance programs (NDSU, Montana, App St) have had off years, and still hosted over more "successful" programs (that year) due to bids guaranteeing $$ to the NCAA.

bodoyle
September 18th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Chauncey is not going up in flames. He is simply on fire aka http://gamerlimit.com/files/2010/01/NBAJamWii-Header.jpg

citdog
September 18th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Incidentally, I do like how your Chicken in your avatar is already going up in FLAMES!

They're FLAMING alright....

taper
September 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I wonder how relevent bidding will be now. With 8 seeded teams you'd have to have multiple upsets in the same side of the ladder for the bids to matter after the first round.

Wallace
September 18th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Last year from the official NCAA document:

Monday, October 8, 2012: Championships information and forms available on ncaa.org
for prospective preliminary-round host institutions.

Monday, November 12, 2012: Prospective preliminary-round host institutions bid
submission deadline.

danefan
September 18th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Last year from the official NCAA document:

Thanks Ralphie! Great insight.

AmsterBison
September 19th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Conversely, high attendance programs (NDSU, Montana, App St) have had off years, and still hosted over more "successful" programs (that year) due to bids guaranteeing $$ to the NCAA.

NDSU has never hosted a higher-ranked team due to a bid. Used to hear this for years from UND fans. Of course, I hear lots of things from UND fans like "The only reason NDSU beats FBS teams is that they purposely schedule the weakest FBS team in the history of football every year." (which is ironic from fans of a school who scheduled Idaho twice.)

URMite
September 19th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks Ralphie! Great insight.

That sounds like sarcasm. But on this occasion, I think last years opening (10/8) and closing (11/12, Monday before last regular season game) of bidding is relevant to estimating this season's bidding window. Which was the original question. We can go back to disagreeing with Ralph later.

walliver
September 19th, 2013, 11:32 AM
The original post of a late Oct/first weekend of NOV. is the correct timeframe for the schools to BID to host games. All still likely eligible (still have chance to get to 7 D-I Wins) bid for the RIGHT TO HOST. The selection committee uses that information to make pairings, and who will host for the various games. NOTE: SEEDED TEAMS have to defer (say they do NOT want to host) to NOT be a host. McNeese may have made such a request in 2005, after Hurricane Rita ripped through, could be an example. Georgetown, and their 3K capacity stadium may be another that would consider deferring hosting. Conversely, high attendance programs (NDSU, Montana, App St) have had off years, and still hosted over more "successful" programs (that year) due to bids guaranteeing $$ to the NCAA.

It is my understanding that the hosting bids are not used to determine matchups. The matchups are set and then the bids are opened. Schools like Montana, ASU, and GSU generally get home games in the first few rounds because they rarely face seeded teams early on and can outbid most of the other schools. As GSU fans can attest, it is very important to initially place bids for the entire playoff (at least through the semi-finals).

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 19th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I have no ****ing idea.

-JMU AD Jeff Bourne

This might be my all time favorite post on AGS. Well played sir, well played!

Bisonoline
September 19th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Hammersmith this thread needs you.

Wallace
September 19th, 2013, 11:28 PM
That sounds like sarcasm. But on this occasion, I think last years opening (10/8) and closing (11/12, Monday before last regular season game) of bidding is relevant to estimating this season's bidding window. Which was the original question. We can go back to disagreeing with Ralph later.

LOL! For those of us who were here at the beginning you may remember that the point of AGS was to also be a place where members could help others learn about the FCS. Opinion discussion on teams etc. was also a fun part but personal attacks were not allowed... especially by members that hide behind an alias. So have at me, I do not hide. My contribution here is to help others and give my opinion. If you attack me then I may slip and attack back, we are all human. Mea culpa. But I do not hold grudges as you and others I have helped before know, including the current admins of AGS.

Yes, the bids are due the last week of the regular season so the committee can know which selected teams are to be considered for a home game.