PDA

View Full Version : Lou Holtz sits with NDSU and UND presidents

robsnotes4u
September 18th, 2013, 11:47 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/412570/group/Sports/

“I just think that is insane that two great schools, 70 miles apart or so, are not playing one another,” Holtz said.

Holtz, who also coached at the University of Minnesota and in the NFL, now works as an analyst for ESPN. The cable network is bringing its "College GameDay" pregame show to broadcast from Fargo on Saturday.

“North Dakota State can fill up the stadium anyway, but it’d be a great money-maker for both schools, I think,” Holtz said. “The Legislature needs to get involved.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

darell1976
September 18th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Already being discussed.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?138272-Twins-President-Chyme-s-in-on-NDSU-amp-UND-Rivalry/page74

superman7515
September 18th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Trust me, rivalry games between two schools in the same state that are forced by outside pressure are wildly successful and a huge boon to both schools.

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Trust me, rivalry games between two schools in the same state that are forced by outside pressure are wildly successful and a huge boon to both schools.

They are? :D

DSUrocks07
September 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Especially when one school severely outclasses the other, plays up the underdog role. xnodxxthumbsupx

Twentysix
September 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Especially when one school severely outclasses the other, plays up the underdog role. xnodxxthumbsupx

That couldn't possibly be the situation in either of our states.

darell1976
September 18th, 2013, 12:33 PM

Who is the underdog... One team won back to back NC and the other is 4-1 in the Fargodome. ;)

DSUrocks07
September 18th, 2013, 12:34 PM
That couldn't possibly be the situation in either of our states.

Hey, every in-state rivalry can be exactly like Alabama-Auburn if you give it a chance.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A9MoFW2CEAAiBsq.jpg

Darlinikki150
September 18th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Unneccesary comment from a man who has no intimate knowledge of the situation. I respect Holtz but in this situation he should keep his mouth shut.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 18th, 2013, 03:37 PM
In this case, those who are more distant observers can offer clarity that the people closer to cannot. Forest for the trees and all that.

Darlinikki150
September 18th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Disagree. How would Holtz know what's best for NDSU football or UND football. Like I said lack of intimate knowledge. Its an opinion, nothing more.

biggame
September 18th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Disagree. How would Holtz know what's best for NDSU football or UND football. Like I said lack of intimate knowledge. Its an opinion, nothing more.

Yes, just as what you are stating is an opinion. The difference is that he has no vested interest in NDSU or UND he just see's how foolish it is to not play the game.

Jazzman1522
September 18th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason you guys don't play each other?

justintyem
September 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM
UN_ needs NDSU to fill the A-Hole Center, unlike the FargoDome where its always filled.

LeeshaJo
September 18th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason you guys don't play each other?

NDSU went to go D1, UND said heck no we are not going... SDSU/NDSU move up together. In transition, UND refuses to play NDSU. Butt hurt goes both ways now. NDSU refuses to do home and homes with them giving up one OOC game/sell out to go play in Grand Forks. UND thinks they deserve the games. So basically at a stalemate and neither school wants to be the one to flinch. There is a whole Bunch of back story, but that is the really down and dirty non-North Dakota view.

dewey
September 18th, 2013, 05:59 PM
NDSU went to go D1, UND said heck no we are not going... SDSU/NDSU move up together. In transition, UND refuses to play NDSU. Butt hurt goes both ways now. NDSU refuses to do home and homes with them giving up one OOC game/sell out to go play in Grand Forks. UND thinks they deserve the games. So basically at a stalemate and neither school wants to be the one to flinch. There is a whole Bunch of back story, but that is the really down and dirty non-North Dakota view.

Well said from an outsiders perspective. UN_ did what was best for them when NDSU moved to the FCS then when UN_ moved up NDSU is doing what is best for them by keeping the annual FBS game and 6 home games.

Dewey

Tribal
September 18th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Tell Holtz to focus on helping the school that launched his coaching career...W&M.

Ex Pat
September 18th, 2013, 06:20 PM
That about sums it up. The post about 'intimate info' are short sighted. The reason this game is off is because folks have too much damned info. Info about who did what 10 years ago, 5 years ago, 2 years ago. Take a look at the big picture: do we need und now? no. But would that game on top of all the other hoopla be certifiably awesome? Damn straight. And btw- NDSU will not always sell out every game, there will be down years (I know it's hard to imagine right now). God forbid we see another 3-8 but just sayin, it happens.

FargoBison
September 18th, 2013, 06:36 PM

NDSU went to DI....UND got pissed. NDSU sent them a contract to continue the rivalry and their AD let it sit on his desk and then informed NDSU's admin via a press conference that UND wouldn't play NDSU..in any sport. UND's admin takes pot shots at NDSU for moving up. Years pass and UND goes DI basically because they have to if they want to remain relevant. NDSU's AD again offers up a game, this time a chance to play every other year. UND's AD says no, he will only play every year. Now UND's AD is ok with an every other year arrangement but NDSU's AD doesn't seem to be moving quickly to accept it and I'm pretty sure it will take NDSU getting a new AD for the game to be scheduled.

darell1976
September 18th, 2013, 06:49 PM
NDSU went to DI....UND got pissed. NDSU sent them a contract to continue the rivalry and their AD let it sit on his desk and then informed NDSU's admin via a press conference that UND wouldn't play NDSU..in any sport. UND's admin takes pot shots at NDSU for moving up. Years pass and UND goes DI basically because they have to if they want to remain relevant. NDSU's AD again offers up a game, this time a chance to play every other year. UND's AD says no, he will only play every year. Now UND's AD is ok with an every other year arrangement but NDSU's AD doesn't seem to be moving quickly to accept it and I'm pretty sure it will take NDSU getting a new AD for the game to be schedule.

Thats what most UND fans think since the only people still at either school when the rivalry stopped is NDSU AD Gene Taylor and head coach Craig Bohl. No one currently at UND was there in 2003, so it looks like a grudge from our point of view. Since 2003 the schools has renewed the rivalry in every sport except football. In 2010 UND played South Dakota State for the first time since 2003, and NDSU even did a 2 for 1 against South Dakota who also cancelled their games against NDSU after 2003. But there are people on both fanbases that want the game to happen so its not ONLY UND. But after last Saturday I don't think UND wants the game to happen until our defense starts showing up.

frozennorth
September 18th, 2013, 08:50 PM
UND is drowning in a bathtub entirely of it's own making (much like the nickname). I don't see why it's NDSU's duty to bail them out.

The game brought out the worst in people, and I'm thrilled it's gone and I hope the it's never played again.

Darlinikki150
September 18th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I still don't understand why NDSU needs this game? What's the positive for us to play it? Just what exactly does Holtz see is the benefit of playing a sub par UND team give NDSU? When we have proven that our scheduling strategy works amazingly well for our football program? Some one please give me one solid good reason why we should play this game?

darell1976
September 18th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I still don't understand why NDSU needs this game? What's the positive for us to play it? Just what exactly does Holtz see is the benefit of playing a sub par UND team give NDSU? When we have proven that our scheduling strategy works amazingly well for our football program? Some one please give me one solid good reason why we should play this game?

Because its a rival, obviously Bison fans would've had no problem from 2004-2007 playing a DII UND team if UND didn't cancel the series or play a 2008 non counter UND team. But now 2013 UND has the same scholarships same playoff eligibility as NDSU no one on your side wants it? Does it have to do with UND beating NDSU 10 out of the last 13 games? Or going 4-1 in the Fargodome? Trying to erase a series going back to 1894 isn't an easy task.

Darlinikki150
September 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM
It has nothing to do w win/lose. But if that's all ya got for a reason, not good enough for me. We can never play the game and I will be happy to never play a game against UND unless its the playoffs.

BisonTru
September 18th, 2013, 09:14 PM
If UN_ wants to reignite the rivalry then come down here for two games say 2015 and 2017. We'll write you a check and send a charter bus to get the team. After that we can see where each program is. It's going to be tough to do an every year matchup being in different conferences.

darell1976
September 18th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Bison fans blame UND for ending the series but yet look at this schedule...2004, 2006 DII UND at DI NDSU ; 2005, 2007 DI NDSU at DII UND. 2008 DI non counter UND at DI playoff eligible NDSU. 2009, 2011, 2013 NDSU at UND. So when would NDSU fans demand GT break the contract? Playing at a DII team? Playing at UND every other year?

Darlinikki150
September 18th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Darell, we have to agree to disagree. I have zero respect for UND football and that isn't gonna change anytime soon. U guys screwed the pooch all those years ago and I don't see NDSU forgetting your behavior or comments anytime soon. Its a dead conversation as far as I'm concerned.

BisonTru
September 18th, 2013, 10:44 PM
It's hard for me to get excited to restart the rivalry after the transition years listening to un_ fans enlighten me how dumb myself and NDSU were to think we could compete at the next level. But this rivalry would be scheduled if we were both in the same conference. Seems to me UN_ was pretty happy to accept their bid to the big sky. I can't remember exactly how those events went down. Maybe some one with a better memory than me could answer. Did UN_ have an offer or interest from the MVC?

darell1976
September 18th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Darell, we have to agree to disagree. I have zero respect for UND football and that isn't gonna change anytime soon. U guys screwed the pooch all those years ago and I don't see NDSU forgetting your behavior or comments anytime soon. Its a dead conversation as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't be shocked if Gameday brings up the rivalry, I just know it won't happen until at least 2015 at the earliest. And what a year 2015 will be for UND (new nickname). I agree Nikki it is a dead conversation...OMG we agreed!! ;)

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2013, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Gameday brings up the rivalry, I just know it won't happen until at least 2015 at the earliest. And what a year 2015 will be for UND (new nickname). I agree Nikki it is a dead conversation...OMG we agreed!! ;)

I actually would be surprised if it comes up at all.

darell1976
September 18th, 2013, 10:53 PM
I actually would be surprised if it comes up at all.

With Lou Holtz in Grand Forks it might.

Southern Bison
September 18th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Because its a rival, obviously Bison fans would've had no problem from 2004-2007 playing a DII UND team if UND didn't cancel the series or play a 2008 non counter UND team. But now 2013 UND has the same scholarships same playoff eligibility as NDSU no one on your side wants it? Does it have to do with UND beating NDSU 10 out of the last 13 games? Or going 4-1 in the Fargodome? Trying to erase a series going back to 1894 isn't an easy task.

http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/215/36/21536-group3ww-l.jpg

UN_ used the one in 2003 to destroy the series and then the other on their own mascot.

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2013, 11:06 PM
With Lou Holtz in Grand Forks it might.

Lou Holtz isn't on College Gameday.

darell1976
September 18th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Lou Holtz isn't on College Gameday.

But doesn't he work for ESPN?

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2013, 11:17 PM
But doesn't he work for ESPN?

So what? Care to tell AGS what he was actually up there for? I'm just saying I don't see it being brought up at all. I don't believe the "rivalry" will be part of the College Gameday prep at all.

darell1976
September 18th, 2013, 11:24 PM
So what? Care to tell AGS what he was actually up there for? I'm just saying I don't see it being brought up at all. I don't believe the "rivalry" will be part of the College Gameday prep at all.

An oil convention but he also talked to both UND and NDSU presidents about the rivalry. So I am just saying I wouldn't be surprised if it's brought up since Gameday is in Fargo not only for NDSU but for all FCS teams.

Bisonoline
September 18th, 2013, 11:28 PM

Seriously??? Its stupid crap like this that gets you no where. Same old crappola just a different day.

darell1976
September 18th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Seriously??? Its stupid crap like this that gets you no where. Same old crappola just a different day.

Just trying to understand why Bison fans are upset UND stopped the series? Because if it was still going on NDSU would've had to play at a DII team twice (when was the last DI team to travel to a DII team?) also play UND in 08 when it wouldn't have counted towards the playoffs since UND was a non counter. Oh did I mention NDSU would've had only 5 home games every other year. So again why you guys mad?

Southern Bison
September 19th, 2013, 12:11 AM
We're not mad about the series being stopped...we're tired of hearing about the Whioux fans calling for it to be resumed when their team & Athletic Dept. is the one that broke the streak. You bitch & moan about it constantly and bringing it into every f'in thread possible on AGS. Give it a rest...UN_ destroyed the series and NDSU doesn't need the GF Community School for the Dumb to complete their schedules or to continue achieving what we've already accomplished in our FCS era.

You brag about 1, One, Uno (Spanish), Ett (Swedish), jeden (Polish for darell) אחד (Hebrew for the Nazi Englestad to understand) National Championship in football...........we've got 10 and we're working on #11 this year. When you reach more than a piece of dust on our radar screen, maybe you'll be noticed.

Bisonoline
September 19th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Just trying to understand why Bison fans are upset UND stopped the series? Because if it was still going on NDSU would've had to play at a DII team twice (when was the last DI team to travel to a DII team?) also play UND in 08 when it wouldn't have counted towards the playoffs since UND was a non counter. Oh did I mention NDSU would've had only 5 home games every other year. So again why you guys mad?

Why. Because your classless AD hung NDSU out to dry. NDSU would have played the game because they were in transition. You really cant be that stupid or blind not to realize what transpired.
Why dont we like you? Really? You can play all this mental masterbation all you want to rationalize and justify your position. But the fact is its been UND and its fans who have been crying to continue the game. Yes we talk about UND a lot but you dont here much on the Bison front advocating the start of the series again. The ball was in your court and your admin screwed the pooch twice now. May be if you folks up north would STFU about it something might happen. All Faison does when he brings this **** up in the press is piss people off and does nothing to move this in a positive direction.

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2013, 06:28 AM
“I just think that is insane that two great schools, 70 miles apart or so, are not playing one another,” Holtz said.

Happens more than you think--ask Texas and Texas A&M.

Or, outside football, consider the basketball case of Georgetown and George Washington. They are 16 blocks apart and haven't played in 32 years.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 07:08 AM
We're not mad about the series being stopped...we're tired of hearing about the Whioux fans calling for it to be resumed when their team & Athletic Dept. is the one that broke the streak. You bitch & moan about it constantly and bringing it into every f'in thread possible on AGS. Give it a rest...UN_ destroyed the series and NDSU doesn't need the GF Community School for the Dumb to complete their schedules or to continue achieving what we've already accomplished in our FCS era.

You brag about 1, One, Uno (Spanish), Ett (Swedish), jeden (Polish for darell) אחד (Hebrew for the Nazi Englestad to understand) National Championship in football...........we've got 10 and we're working on #11 this year. When you reach more than a piece of dust on our radar screen, maybe you'll be noticed.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?138272-Twins-President-Chyme-s-in-on-NDSU-amp-UND-Rivalry

Looks like an FU fan started this most popular rivalry thread. Care to retract your statement? BTW I am not Polish.

Mattymc727
September 19th, 2013, 07:11 AM
UNH and Dartmouth are finally renewing their old rivalry to compete for the Granite Bowl Trophy. Thats always a big game in NH. Dartmouth took a break for a few years after getting throttled every year, but it starts back up next year. It makes sense for both schools, and leaves a nice rivalry between the two sides of the state. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire%E2%80%93Dartmouth_rivalry

I didnt know there was so much back story to it. But to me, it does seem weird that these two universities dont play each other every year, regardless of who is good and how many people you can fit in the stadium....

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Why. Because your classless AD hung NDSU out to dry. NDSU would have played the game because they were in transition. You really cant be that stupid or blind not to realize what transpired.
Why dont we like you? Really? You can play all this mental masterbation all you want to rationalize and justify your position. But the fact is its been UND and its fans who have been crying to continue the game. Yes we talk about UND a lot but you dont here much on the Bison front advocating the start of the series again. The ball was in your court and your admin screwed the pooch twice now. May be if you folks up north would STFU about it something might happen. All Faison does when he brings this **** up in the press is piss people off and does nothing to move this in a positive direction.

Who asked that question?? Man you need to brush up on your reading skills.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 07:14 AM
UNH and Dartmouth are finally renewing their old rivalry to compete for the Granite Bowl Trophy. Thats always a big game in NH. Dartmouth took a break for a few years after getting throttled every year, but it starts back up next year. It makes sense for both schools, and leaves a nice rivalry between the two sides of the state. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire%E2%80%93Dartmouth_rivalry

I didnt know there was so much back story to it. But to me, it does seem weird that these two universities dont play each other every year, regardless of who is good and how many people you can fit in the stadium....

I am sure UNH fans are crying that the game is always in Durham right?

aces1180
September 19th, 2013, 07:20 AM

It was rhetorical...xcoolx

Mattymc727
September 19th, 2013, 07:27 AM
I am sure UNH fans are crying that the game is always in Durham right?

Haha, well for one, we dont have the stadium like NDSU or UND, so UNH has nothing to whine over. But neither school has ever complained about traveling the 100 miles to play the game.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Haha, well for one, we dont have the stadium like NDSU or UND, so UNH has nothing to whine over. But neither school has ever complained about traveling the 100 miles to play the game.

But what about the money UNH will lose traveling to Dartmouth since its an away OOC game?

Vitojr130
September 19th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I, for one, want to see us play UND every single year. I want it to be the annual beatdown for the Nickel. I don't see any good excuse NOT to play. I am not old enough to remember who b****ed out when or why and I don't think it matters anymore. The whole situation sounds like a bunch of prepubescent girls crying over spilled milk. xtwocentsxxthumbsupx

NDSUstudent
September 19th, 2013, 08:22 AM

I don't think that is what it's about anymore. I think most Bison fans realize it doesn't benefit NDSU right now. As soon as it benefits both equally I say we play.

Let's face it, _ND has been irrelevant in college football for years. NDSU has only won National Championships. I say you keep the nickle and we can keep winning National Championships.

tnbison
September 19th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I don't think that is what it's about anymore. I think most Bison fans realize it doesn't benefit NDSU right now. As soon as it benefits both equally I say we play.

Let's face it, _ND has been irrelevant in college football for years. NDSU has only won National Championships. I say you keep the nickle and we can keep winning National Championships.

^This is the way at least I and all of my NDSU alum friends feel about the situation. We have a proven formula for success, why would we change that just to appease all the damn whiners(on both sides). We'll continue to do things like we have, and we will continue to have success.

Mattymc727
September 19th, 2013, 10:15 AM
But what about the money UNH will lose traveling to Dartmouth since its an away OOC game?

UNH has never been concerned with that. UNH is more worried about travel budget. Going to Dartmouth is better than having to go to say Lehigh, like UNH has to this year. UNH always has to get a home and home with somebody in order to get home games in the future, might as well do one with your in state rival, which is two hours away.

I completely understand the NDSU side of the argument in terms of losing revenue for having to travel to UND, but UNH doesnt make enough money on home games to even care. UNH averages about 10k a game. The stadium only seats 6500....

As an outsider, I think that this game should be played because the state of North Dakota deserves it. Its all about the Rivalry and ND pride.

Mattymc727
September 19th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Quick question, and sorry if I come across as a fool, but which school is considered the states "Flagship" university? No sarcasm here, I honestly dont know the answer.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 10:18 AM
UNH has never been concerned with that. UNH is more worried about travel budget. Going to Dartmouth is better than having to go to say Lehigh, like UNH has to this year. UNH always has to get a home and home with somebody in order to get home games in the future, might as well do one with your in state rival, which is two hours away.

I completely understand the NDSU side of the argument in terms of losing revenue for having to travel to UND, but UNH doesnt make enough money on home games to even care. UNH averages about 10k a game. The stadium only seats 6500....

As an outsider, I think that this game should be played because the state of North Dakota deserves it. Its all about the Rivalry and ND pride.

I think most outsiders think this.

aces1180
September 19th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Quick question, and sorry if I come across as a fool, but which school is considered the states "Flagship" university? No sarcasm here, I honestly dont know the answer.

I think most people recognize UN_ as the flagship (founded in 1883), while NDSU is the state's land grant university (founded in 1890).

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 10:23 AM

Depends who you ask. But in a way both UND and NDSU can be called it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship#Education

The phrase flagship institution or flagship university may be applied to an individual school or campus within each state system. The College Board (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Board), for example, defines flagship universities as the best-known institutions in the state, noting that they were generally the first to be established and are frequently the largest and most selective, as well as the most research-intensive public universities.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship#cite_note-nsf.gov-2) These schools are often land-grant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land-grant), sea-grant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-grant), or space-grant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-grant) research universities.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship#cite_note-3) According to Robert M. Berdahl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M._Berdahl), interim President of the University of Oregon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Oregon), the phrase "flagship" came into existence in the 1950s when the Morrill Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrill_Land-Grant_Colleges_Act) schools were joined by newer institutions built in a wave of post-war expansion of state university systems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_education_in_the_United_States#Higher_e ducation).[

UND was the first established, the largest, and a space grant school. NDSU is a land grant school. So in a way both are but the most popular choice (which fits most criteria) is UND.

BisonBacker
September 19th, 2013, 10:36 AM
That about sums it up. The post about 'intimate info' are short sighted. The reason this game is off is because folks have too much damned info. Info about who did what 10 years ago, 5 years ago, 2 years ago. Take a look at the big picture: do we need und now? no. But would that game on top of all the other hoopla be certifiably awesome? Damn straight. And btw- NDSU will not always sell out every game, there will be down years (I know it's hard to imagine right now). God forbid we see another 3-8 but just sayin, it happens.

All the more reason for us to keep an important FBS pay game on our schedule.

robsnotes4u
September 19th, 2013, 10:38 AM

Most Bison fans realize it doesn't benefit NDSU, are you kidding? First of all, in what way? Second, if you are only talking money, I will guarantee at least 51% don't care if it is beneficial or not. I don't know what you definition of most is, bust "most" fans only care about the game and who wins or loses. A forum is never a good sample to take statistical references from, it is a minute sample of over the top fans.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 19th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Most Bison fans realize it doesn't benefit NDSU, are you kidding? First of all, in what way? Second, if you are only talking money, I will guarantee at least 51% don't care if it is beneficial or not. I don't know what you definition of most is, bust "most" fans only care about the game and who wins or loses. A forum is never a good sample to take statistical references from, it is a minute sample of over the top fans.

loosely defined.

BisonBacker
September 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM

Because our AD has a scheduling philosophy where he want's to play a FBS pay game every year. To make a yearly game with an OOC opponent severely limits or hampers his ability to continue to get a FBS pay game not to mention we lose a home game in our OOC schedule. To play this game like un_ fans want would cost NDSU financially no matter how they un_ fans try to slice it or sugar coat it. It makes no financial sense period to play this game. Bottom line is follow the dollars and when you do the bottom line doesn't have them on our schedule.

aces1180
September 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM

Wouldn't you think that if this game was so important to NDSU and its key fans (i.e. Teammakers), this game would already be scheduled?

NDSU has earned more local, regional and national news coverage and fan popularity over the last 10 years than it had in the previous decades of Bison football before. All this without playing UN_ in football.

If UN_ wants to play NDSU so much, come play in the Fargodome for a check and bus fare. The fans get a familiar opponent and NDSU doesn't have to go on the road.

robsnotes4u
September 19th, 2013, 10:58 AM
loosely defined.

Lol. top fans, possibly. Know the most, improbably. I would say forum people are fanatics.
1. A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.
2. a person whose enthusiasm or zeal for something is extreme or beyond normal limits.

With that, and the ability to hide behind a keyboard, people become very one sided in their ideas and they do not want to give, in fear of the rest of the group

Over the top.
Outrageously overdone
Too extreme

Just my opinion

Twentysix
September 19th, 2013, 11:01 AM

They are dual flagships. A lot of our programs are split, we avoid double ups. Aka if UND has it, NDSU doesn't. If NDSU has it, UND doesn't. Of course that doesn't apply to common undergrad degrees.

Until somewhat recently, it was solely UND.

Example, the only Graduate degrees in Anthropology are at NDSU. UND has an Anth department but is not allowed to have a graduate program because NDSU does. Easy opposite example is law or medical school, however there are others.

Alternatively there are graduate programs that work toghether between the schools, like the History Ph.D.

At NDSU, Ph.D. graduate students have the opportunity to participate in the academic life of the Department as a Graduate Teaching Assistant, which provides training in college teaching and professional development for graduate students who are pursing both academic and nonacademic positions.

The History PhD Program at NDSU is operated jointly with the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, 70 miles north of Fargo. While the bulk of a PhD student’s coursework is undertaken at the institution in which they first enroll, the relationship between the two schools provides significant benefits to students, in particular by increasing the areas of scholarly expertise accessible to them.

http://www.ndsu.edu/history/graduate/phd_program/

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Wouldn't you think that if this game was so important to NDSU and its key fans (i.e. Teammakers), this game would already be scheduled?

NDSU has earned more local, regional and national news coverage and fan popularity over the last 10 years than it had in the previous decades of Bison football before. All this without playing UN_ in football.

If UN_ wants to play NDSU so much, come play in the Fargodome for a check and bus fare. The fans get a familiar opponent and NDSU doesn't have to go on the road.

The Teammakers don't ever want to see UN_ on the schedule again. I know their are large donors that would pull their funding (probably 10-15 scholarships, at least) if we would schedule them in the regular season and go up the Grand Forks.

Go Bison
September 19th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Bison fans blame UND for ending the series but yet look at this schedule...2004, 2006 DII UND at DI NDSU ; 2005, 2007 DI NDSU at DII UND. 2008 DI non counter UND at DI playoff eligible NDSU. 2009, 2011, 2013 NDSU at UND. So when would NDSU fans demand GT break the contract? Playing at a DII team? Playing at UND every other year?

NDSU has always honored their contracts and you have no point until they prove otherwise. They went to Sam Houston State on the back end of a home and home agreement and that year only had 5 home games. It was not ideal but they did it. What NDSU has been doing lately works best for them and makes the most money. Pretty easy to understand really.

Bisonator
September 19th, 2013, 11:07 AM
How many GD threads do we need on this subject? xrolleyesx

Go Bison
September 19th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Now this article is out:

http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/apArticle/id/DA8TF31O1/

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 11:10 AM
NDSU has always honored their contracts and you have no point until they prove otherwise. They went to Sam Houston State on the back end of a home and home agreement and that year only had 5 home games. It was not ideal but they did it. What NDSU has been doing lately works best for them and makes the most money. Pretty easy to understand really.

But dude, because we used to play, we should again! We need to throw UN_ a bone because they say so!

I'm done with this thread, this **** is old and is a dead horse x 1000

superman7515
September 19th, 2013, 11:31 AM
...(when was the last DI team to travel to a DII team?)...

Last week.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 19th, 2013, 11:35 AM
The Teammakers don't ever want to see UN_ on the schedule again. I know their are large donors that would pull their funding (probably 10-15 scholarships, at least) if we would schedule them in the regular season and go up the Grand Forks.

That in itself is a reason to schedule the game.

No athletic department needs ego driven donors like this having anything to do with the program. You can get funding somewhere else without all of the baggage. Screw people that think because they donate they get to call the shots.

I know, I know its the way things are.........doesnt make it right or the way things should be.

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM

No athletic department needs ego driven donors like this having anything to do with the program. You can get funding somewhere else without all of the baggage. Screw people that think because they donate they get to call the shots.

I know, I know its the way things are.........doesnt make it right or the way things should be.

They don't call the shots, but their opinion definitely matters...

Moto X

superman7515
September 19th, 2013, 11:40 AM

Why not? It worked fine at Penn State.

robsnotes4u
September 19th, 2013, 11:58 AM
They are dual flagships. A lot of our programs are split, we avoid double ups. Aka if UND has it, NDSU doesn't. If NDSU has it, UND doesn't. Of course that doesn't apply to common undergrad degrees.

Until somewhat recently, it was solely UND.

Example, the only Graduate degrees in Anthropology are at NDSU. UND has an Anth department but is not allowed to have a graduate program because NDSU does. Easy opposite example is law or medical school, however there are others.

Alternatively there are graduate programs that work toghether between the schools, like the History Ph.D.

http://www.ndsu.edu/history/graduate/phd_program/

Great post

Ivytalk
September 19th, 2013, 12:25 PM
We all know what Lou sounds like. Are the two presidents understandable?

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 12:39 PM
We all know what Lou sounds like. Are the two presidents understandable?

The two presidents like each other, no history of fighting since neither was around in 2003 when all this went down. I don't know how much talking to the presidents will do its the AD's that Lou should talk to.

Bisonator
September 19th, 2013, 12:46 PM
The two presidents like each other, no history of fighting since neither was around in 2003 when all this went down. I don't know how much talking to the presidents will do its the AD's that Lou should talk to.

Better yet how about everyone just stay out of it! xnodx

Dane96
September 19th, 2013, 12:53 PM

I see what you did there!!!

robsnotes4u
September 19th, 2013, 02:10 PM

It is not about NDSU and it's "keys" fans. It's about all fans. No fan is any better than the other. Who owns NDSU? Certainly not the team makers.

Again re-read my previous post, "most" fans don't care if it is good for NDSU or UND they want the game.

Just about fans. There are over 80 Griz/Cat satellite parties listed in this months Montanan, UM alumini magazine, for this years Brawl of the Wild. Every year people who are traveling across North Dakota on vacation show up. In state rivalry games mean a lot to the fans. It is the one time a year they can talk smack to relatives, friends, spouses, etc., about football and have a winner.

Remember this. You have not always been on top, nor will you continue to be on top forever. It is always harder to eat crow if you are the egotistical bully.

This screams, Fear of Loss on so many levels.

Bisonator
September 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
It is not about NDSU and it's "keys" fans. It's about all fans. No fan is any better than the other. Who owns NDSU? Certainly not the team makers.

Again re-read my previous post, "most" fans don't care if it is good for NDSU or UND they want the game.

Just about fans. There are over 80 Griz/Cat satellite parties listed in this months Montanan, UM alumini magazine, for this years Brawl of the Wild. Every year people who are traveling across North Dakota on vacation show up. In state rivalry games mean a lot to the fans. It is the one time a year they can talk smack to relatives, friends, spouses, etc., about football and have a winner.

Remember this. You have not always been on top, nor will you continue to be on top forever. It is always harder to eat crow if you are the egotistical bully.

This screams desperation on so many levels! xlolx

robsnotes4u
September 19th, 2013, 02:18 PM
This screams desperation on so many levels! xlolx

You are quick and good Sir

frozennorth
September 19th, 2013, 02:27 PM

who said most fans want to game?

aces1180
September 19th, 2013, 02:33 PM

How do you know most fans want the game? Your claim is very subjective, much like mine.

I doubt NDSU is worried about losing...Hell, GT called up to GF this past year to see if UN_ would come down for a guarantee game after MSU backed out, but the schedules didn't match.

UN_ fans can argue, beg and plead all they want, but let's face facts here...This game will be played when and only when it benefits NDSU. That might not be the popular answer many want to hear, but its reality.

BisonBacker
September 19th, 2013, 02:51 PM

Based on the product on the field up North that comment is laughable. You want to see the damned game so bad talk to the legislators about Funding NDSU on par with un_. Make it so that NDSU isn't going to lose money by having this game. Get that done and I'm positive the folks at NDSU would be happy to talk. Until then STFU.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM
How do you know most fans want the game? Your claim is very subjective, much like mine.

I doubt NDSU is worried about losing...Hell, GT called up to GF this past year to see if UN_ would come down for a guarantee game after MSU backed out, but the schedules didn't match.

UN_ fans can argue, beg and plead all they want, but let's face facts here...This game will be played when and only when it benefits NDSU. That might not be the popular answer many want to hear, but its reality.

When did GT call UND?? They haven't talked since GT never signed the 2015/2017 home and home contract BF was sending him. UND's schedule was already full before MSU backed out. Want to post a link to your crap I mean facts.

Bisonoline
September 19th, 2013, 03:02 PM

You asked why we were mad. Same difference to me. It all goes hand in hand.

aces1180
September 19th, 2013, 03:05 PM
When did GT call UND?? They haven't talked since GT never signed the 2015/2017 home and home contract BF was sending him. UND's schedule was already full before MSU backed out. Want to post a link to your crap I mean facts.

It's in this story...

https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=385815

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 03:12 PM
It's in this story...

https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=385815

No it isn't. When BF says we will be willing to talk that means GT and him did not talk, and GT even told Kolpack "not right now" about scheduling UND. Plus UND had the same full schedule for over a year because UM and SDSU were the back ends of home and homes from 2010. Nowhere in that article did it say GT called BF for a replaced game for MSU...good try.

Bisonator
September 19th, 2013, 03:18 PM

Darell, how do you know for a fact that BF actually sent anything to GT? You just take his word in a media clip?? This is the type of ***** we've been talking about for years and one of the reasons GT is pi$$ed off. Tell BF and everyone else at UN_ to stop blabbing ***** to the media first!!!

xpissedx

344Johnson
September 19th, 2013, 03:22 PM

you got a wiretap on their phones or what?

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 03:24 PM
you got a wiretap on their phones or what?

Shhh.

Darlinikki150
September 19th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Darell can't help himself. This is a much bigger deal in GF than it will ever be in Fargo. What people fail to realize is that students in school don't know about the rivalry or care about it. Its the Gen Xers and older that care about this game being played; but at this point w back to back championships and Game Day being in Fargo, most if us are starting yo not care about the rivalry either.NDSU has much bigger and better things going on right now than to worry about a rivalry against a sub par UND team. U may not like it, but that's the reality of situation.

Bisonoline
September 19th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Darell can't help himself. This is a much bigger deal in GF than it will ever be in Fargo. What people fail to realize is that students in school don't know about the rivalry or care about it. Its the Gen Xers and older that care about this game being played; but at this point w back to back championships and Game Day being in Fargo, most if us are starting yo not care about the rivalry either.NDSU has much bigger and better things going on right now than to worry about a rivalry against a sub par UND team. U may not like it, but that's the reality of situation.

Student didnt care about SDSU until we didnt play the who anymore. So they manufactured a rivalry. Regardless if the students care about the who or not it wont take much to get it going once we play again. The soccer coach spoke today about how the who took the game much more seriously than he did and he made a big mistake. As a matter of fact EVERY coach who speaks at TM GETS IT in regards to what the who game means. So dont go passing the who game out of hand as if its not important.

aces1180
September 19th, 2013, 03:42 PM
No it isn't. When BF says we will be willing to talk that means GT and him did not talk, and GT even told Kolpack "not right now" about scheduling UND. Plus UND had the same full schedule for over a year because UM and SDSU were the back ends of home and homes from 2010. Nowhere in that article did it say GT called BF for a replaced game for MSU...good try.

You are right...That article was posted in January, after WCU backed out.

What about this one from the time MSU backed out?

https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=390293

I know I read it somewhere...If not in the Forum, it was from a Tweet by Izzo or Kolpack...Unfortunately, Twitter won't let me search that far back.

The story was that GT's first call was to GF to see if UND had any scheduling changes and would be willing to come to Fargo for an OOC...There was no wiggle room and that is in no way UN_'s fault. It just didn't work out.

Darlinikki150
September 19th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Student didnt care about SDSU until we didnt play the who anymore. So they manufactured a rivalry. Regardless if the students care about the who or not it wont take much to get it going once we play again. The soccer coach spoke today about how the who took the game much more seriously than he did and he made a big mistake. As a matter of fact EVERY coach who speaks at TM GETS IT in regards to what the who game means. So dont go passing the who game out of hand as if its not important.

Ur right, the hate and stupidity will come flowing back if we play UND but who cares? My point is still valid , as a Bison fan, playing UND is not on my radar. There are so many other more exciting teams I would rather see us play. So really UND is right to keep bringing up; the more success we have the lower they go on our "to do " list?

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 03:52 PM
You are right...That article was posted in January, after WCU backed out.

What about this one from the time MSU backed out?

https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=390293

I know I read it somewhere...If not in the Forum, it was from a Tweet by Izzo or Kolpack...Unfortunately, Twitter won't let me search that far back.

The story was that GT's first call was to GF to see if UND had any scheduling changes and would be willing to come to Fargo for an OOC...There was no wiggle room and that is in no way UN_'s fault. It just didn't work out.

I wouldn't put it past Izzo anytime NDSU has an opening UND is the first team out of his mouth.

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 03:54 PM
For all you people that want to play UN_. Nostalgia isn't always great.

Remembrance of things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as they were

Moto X

aces1180
September 19th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't put it past Izzo anytime NDSU has an opening UND is the first team out of his mouth.

Agreed...I honestly think that since he didn't move here until after the series ended, he really wants to see it happen and experience everything that comes with that game.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Ur right, the hate and stupidity will come flowing back if we play UND but who cares? My point is still valid , as a Bison fan, playing UND is not on my radar. There are so many other more exciting teams I would rather see us play. So really UND is right to keep bringing up; the more success we have the lower they go on our "to do " list?

The way our team is playing NDSU is NOT on our radar. (Maybe when Mussman is gone)

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Just going to put this out there NDSU fans.

We currently are HERE: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=9693969 (http://http://[URL="http://[URL"") with ESPN GAMEDAY coming to us.

ESPN Talking about our ten year of success WITHOUT UN_ AT ALL!

We can keep going on the path we are, or we can play UN_.

Take your pick.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 04:21 PM

We currently are HERE: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=9693969 (http://http://[URL="http://[URL"") with ESPN GAMEDAY coming to us.

Take your pick.

So playing UND will crush your chance at success? I don't get what you are saying.

Gil Dobie
September 19th, 2013, 04:23 PM

I'm a Gen x and older and don't really care about the former rivalry. If they play they play, hopefully the playoffs is where the rivalry will be renewed.

Gil Dobie
September 19th, 2013, 04:27 PM
So playing UND will crush your chance at success? I don't get what you are saying.

Playing UND is just not that big if a deal to some of us Bison fans. The big deal about the rivalry was the consecutive years and number of years it was played. Now several other rivalries have surpassed the NDSU vs UND rivalry, and it will never regain it's tradition and glory. They will play again, but a yearly game with a non-conference team, may not always work. If they play again fine, enjoy.

Darlinikki150
September 19th, 2013, 04:33 PM

Quit being obtuse Darrell. The point being made is that we don't need a game against UND, for so many reasons I can't list them all. Our success is not predicated on whether this rivalry revives itself. We already have success with out you, why fix what isn't broke?

deez_na
September 19th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I'm a Gen x and older and don't really care about the former rivalry. If they play they play, hopefully the playoffs is where the rivalry will be renewed.

Could be awhile if we wait for the playoffs, UN_ isn't going anywhere soon. They need Mussman to go if they wanna have a chance at playoffs

dbackjon
September 19th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Take your pick.

Sorry, but that is a dumb statement. Playing your in-state rival has no downside. It is stupid and silly to deny that.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Quit being obtuse Darrell. The point being made is that we don't need a game against UND, for so many reasons I can't list them all. Our success is not predicated on whether this rivalry revives itself. We already have success with out you, why fix what isn't broke?

So you say NDSU's success is because you don't play UND, because that is what was said. So I just asked a question, don't be so sensitive Nikki.

deez_na
September 19th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Guys, how does it benefit NDSU? It won't, it will benefit UN_ but not NDSU. NDSU doesn't need help filling the stands and is succeeding without UN_ on their schedule. How would it help dropping say an FBS game or a home game to play UND? NDSU sells out games, UN_ on the other hand can't sell out a game ever. They need NDSU, not the other way around.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Sorry, but that is a dumb statement. Playing your in-state rival has no downside. It is stupid and silly to deny that.

So playing a home and home against UND is bad but now they have a home and home coming up with Montana. What is the difference? I hope they know they will have to TRAVEL to Missoula. That's why their whole "we will only play UND at home because we don't want to lose a home game" holds no water. You are correct in your statement dbackjon.

citdog
September 19th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Quit being obtuse Darrell.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gNxNTMrptuc/Thn6EJZfVlI/AAAAAAAAAF8/X3S5QW1M2dk/s640/ShawshankRedempt_159Pyxurz.jpg

Gil Dobie
September 19th, 2013, 05:17 PM

It could take away the number of home games every other year. Less home games, to me is a downside.

Bisonoline
September 19th, 2013, 05:27 PM

Take your pick.

So you are saying that we wont be successful if we play the who?

citdog
September 19th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Let's all be thankful that there is no controversy about Savannah State and Sacramento State taking the field against one another. We'd all have to dress like this

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/18/23634974_2572d9479e_z.jpg

just to avoid getting soaked by the gallons of spittle that would fly from Lou Holtz's mouth as he attempted to pronounce each school.

darell1976
September 19th, 2013, 05:36 PM
So you are saying that we wont be successful if we play the who?

I asked the same question and Nikki answered it in post #103:

buffalobill
September 19th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I wonder if the last time Lou Holtz was in ND was when he spoke and coached in the Concordia coaching clinic in 1973. They used to have a game pitting Minnesota college and university athletes against those from outside of Minnesota. I believe they did it in both football and basketball.

robsnotes4u
September 19th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Based on the product on the field up North that comment is laughable. You want to see the damned game so bad talk to the legislators about Funding NDSU on par with un_. Make it so that NDSU isn't going to lose money by having this game. Get that done and I'm positive the folks at NDSU would be happy to talk. Until then STFU.

STFU? Get under you skin, what are you in third grade? That is something that is said by someone who can't come up an intelligent counter point.

I wonder if that would work for a defense attorney when the prosecution rests? "Your honor I am not going to call any witnesses, in fact, I am going make my closing statement now, STFU"

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I just can't believe both sides wouldn't want to play each other every year. We beat the cats ass 95% of the time and it never gets old. I would hate it if we ever stopped playing them.

NDSU and UM are the polar opposites of State and UND in every way possible, it's amazing the parallels.

NDSU1980
September 19th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Holtz should be more worried about the Gophers not playing NDSU any more. There is no need to und, NDSU would pound them by 70 or more. Beats me why they are so infatuated about playing when they were the ones who called a major press conference to announce they were done playing NDSU.

Bisonoline
September 19th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I asked the same question and Nikki answered it in post #103:

You really need to learn when to quit.

Darlinikki150
September 19th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I just can't believe both sides wouldn't want to play each other every year. We beat the cats ass 95% of the time and it never gets old. I would hate it if we ever stopped playing them.

NDSU and UM are the polar opposites of State and UND in every way possible, it's amazing the parallels.

Because we like to play hard to get! Lol

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 19th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Because we like to play hard to get! Lol
Tease! ;)

Darlinikki150
September 19th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Tease! ;)

Hell ya Alpha!

robsnotes4u
September 19th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Haters are like crickets.
They make a lot of noise, you can here them, but you can't see them...
When you walk right by them, they suddenly get quiet

Vitojr130
September 20th, 2013, 01:22 AM

I am all for the game being played again but this screams, "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT HURRR" all over the place.

Vitojr130
September 20th, 2013, 01:29 AM

I hope you are kidding.

I'm a student. My friends are all students. We all came from different parts of MN. We are all very well aware of the rivalry. Listen to the student section and you'll hear the "Sioux Suck S***" ending to the first down chant every time. Every person I've ever talked to IRL that goes to NDSU (as a student) wants to see this game happen because we weren't around for the whining when NDSU moved up. That's what we don't know or care about. People on both sides are just acting like a bunch of babies about it and this rivalry has already brought national attention to North Dakota (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwbop13A9yQ). For the most part, my generation would like to see this happen.

(Bonus: SIU's Mustachio even graces us with his presence in this video)

{Bonus Bonus: The only rivalries in the FCS older than NDSU/UND (1894) are:
1 - Cornell/Penn (1893)
2 - Lafayette/Lehigh (1884)
3 - Harvard/Yale (1875)

}

nodak651
September 20th, 2013, 01:46 AM
I hope you are kidding.

I'm a student. My friends are all students. We all came from different parts of MN. We are all very well aware of the rivalry. Listen to the student section and you'll hear the "Sioux Suck S***" ending to the first down chant every time. Every person I've ever talked to IRL that goes to NDSU (as a student) wants to see this game happen because we weren't around for the whining when NDSU moved up. That's what we don't know or care about. People on both sides are just acting like a bunch of babies about it and this rivalry has already brought national attention to North Dakota (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwbop13A9yQ). For the most part, my generation would like to see this happen.

I feel the EXACT same way and I'm at UND. A lot of NDSU fans say that it wouldn't help their program but I think the game would draw even more national attention than they already have. This is the type of game that could be shown on espnU. If they scheduled each other, the game wouldn't be for a few more years so UND will have had time to build the program up from the ****hole position it's in now; the game would be competitive.

Darlinikki150
September 20th, 2013, 02:53 AM
I hope you are kidding.

1 - Cornell/Penn (1893)
3 - Harvard/Yale (1875)

}

No one cares. As I stated many times, the conversation should be dead and buried, along with rivalry, cuz right now it makes no sense to play them. Its been 10yrs since we have played, does it really matter if we play a game? I think not. We, ie, NDSU have bigger and better things to do than worry about UND and the sorry state of their football team.

No_Skill
September 20th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I hope you are kidding.

1 - Cornell/Penn (1893)
3 - Harvard/Yale (1875)

}

Really? Our seats are in section 17 right next to you whipper snappers and I haven't heard it once.

Gil Dobie
September 20th, 2013, 07:44 AM
I hope you are kidding.

1 - Cornell/Penn (1893)
3 - Harvard/Yale (1875)

}

Minnesota started it's rivalry with Hamline University in 1882, but is no longer played, similar to NDSU vs UND, 2 in-state former rivals that no longer play. NDSU has played a lot of schools more than UND in the last 10 years, even Minnesota 3 times. Each year more schools pass the number of times NDSU played UND, the SDSU vs NDSU game will surpass that unless UND and NDSU are in the same conference.

NDSUstudent
September 20th, 2013, 08:22 AM

It is not about NDSU and it's "keys" fans. It's about all fans. No fan is any better than the other. Who owns NDSU? Certainly not the Team Makers.

Nope not kidding you. I think all NDSU fans want NDSU to be successful. Let's talk about money. Since "51%" don't care if money is beneficial (I'm guessing you took 51% out of the air because it is the majority) to NDSU why would Team Makers get so much money and be so successful? I am guessing, to you, 46,531 (according to gobison.com) are a select group of fans? I know MANY people who give to Team Makers even if it is only $50 a year, because they know NDSU needs money to be successful. To get seats now you almost have to be a Team Maker. When you say "all fans" who are you really talking about because there are a lot of people who don't want the game to happen.

robsnotes4u
September 20th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I hope you are kidding.

1 - Cornell/Penn (1893)
3 - Harvard/Yale (1875)

}

This

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 08:55 AM

Then you haven't been paying attention. No downside is just flat our wrong. Financially there is a huge downside for NDSU.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Then you haven't been paying attention. No downside is just flat our wrong. Financially there is a huge downside for NDSU.

This, it also could potentially weaken our brand when recruiting.

For a big sky analogy, think of UNC vs Pueblo State in a recruiting battle this coming spring.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 10:36 AM

For a big sky analogy, think of UNC vs Pueblo State in a recruiting battle this coming spring.

By losing to UND? This is a new excuse not to have the game. The financial excuse doesn't hold water since GT signed a home and home with MSU, and Montana plus a 2 for 1 with USD. No other Dakota team (or FCS team) is crying they have 5 home games and that might sink their whole athletic department. But now if NDSU plays UND it could hurt recruiting. WOW...that's all I got is WOW!!

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 10:37 AM
By losing to UND? This is a new excuse not to have the game. The financial excuse doesn't hold water since GT signed a home and home with MSU, and Montana plus a 2 for 1 with USD. No other Dakota team (or FCS team) is crying they have 5 home games and that might sink their whole athletic department. But now if NDSU plays UND it could hurt recruiting. WOW...that's all I got is WOW!!

Sure, in any given year in the future should UND beat NDSU, it is something that could sway a recruit.

No one is saying playing UND would sink our AD.

They are saying we like money more than we like you. We would rather have an extra 150k in the bank every year rather than play UND. It's not that we have to have the 150k.

Because we don't care about the game on some kind of religious level anymore, it has to be incentivized. And the incentives just don't exist for NDSU.

aces1180
September 20th, 2013, 10:41 AM

_arrel, your butthurt is sad, really...NDSU will play UN_ when its in the best interest of the Bison...Deal with it.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Sure, in any given year in the future should UND beat NDSU, it is something that could sway a recruit.

But it goes the other way too. I have yet to hear any NDSU fan say UND has ever out recruited them, even though UND has had some pretty good recruits and did sway the momentum in the series towards UND. Of course now both teams are the way they were back in the 80's and early 90's. Eventually with or without the UND/NDSU rivalry NDSU will go down and UND will go up.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 10:44 AM
_arrel, your butthurt is sad, really...NDSU will play UN_ when its in the best interest of the Bison...Deal with it.

Hey I am just pointing out your guy's excuses not only are hilarious, but makes no sense...even dbackjon (NAU fan) and other fan bases can see not having this rivalry makes no sense and I am going to get crap for this so here is comes....it makes you guys look scared to play UND, especially when fans and even GT say NO ONE wants to come to the Fargodome.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 10:45 AM
But it goes the other way too. I have yet to hear any NDSU fan say UND has ever out recruited them, even though UND has had some pretty good recruits and did sway the momentum in the series towards UND. Of course now both teams are the way they were back in the 80's and early 90's. Eventually with or without the UND/NDSU rivalry NDSU will go down and UND will go up.

Sure, but if UNC didn't play Pueblo state this year, they (UNC) would probably get that hypothetical recruit by being in the stronger division. Now the 18 year old has the head to head game to potentially sway his decision.

It's purely a lack of incentives. It is pretty simple really. If UND wants the game they need the NCAA to put it together in the playoffs, or UND has to incentivize the **** out of it for NDSU.

In the future should the situations flip, your argument will do a 180 as you will be in the position of power and have nothing to gain.

It does seem likely UND and NDSU are not destine to be on the same level. I would place a significant wager that NDSU will end up in the FBS in the somewhat near future and UND will stay FCS for quite along time after.

At that time, you will probably see an even larger portion of fans that are pro UND hockey and pro Bison Football.

aces1180
September 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Hey I am just pointing out your guy's excuses not only are hilarious, but makes no sense...even dbackjon (NAU fan) and other fan bases can see not having this rivalry makes no sense and I am going to get crap for this so here is comes....it makes you guys look scared to play UND, especially when fans and even GT say NO ONE wants to come to the Fargodome.

Keep telling yourself that NDSU is scared to play _ND...I hope it helps you sleep at night, _arrel...Thanks for all the laughs you provide me on a daily basis.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 10:50 AM
NAU has no instate rival, he has no idea what hes talking about.

NAU is also not literally capped on gameday income without the rival.

344Johnson
September 20th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I hope you are kidding.

1 - Cornell/Penn (1893)
3 - Harvard/Yale (1875)

}

I sit in the rows 2-6 at home games in the student section. There is like...one small group that yells that. They do not represent the student section. People know we aren't supposed to like UND but other than a group of dudes and the occasional hammered jersey chaser, I rarely if ever hear that at football games.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Sure, but if UNC didn't play Pueblo state this year, they (UNC) would probably get that hypothetical recruit by being in the stronger division. Now the 18 year old has the head to head game to potentially sway his decision.

It's purely a lack of incentives. It is pretty simple really. If UND wants the game they need the NCAA to put it together in the playoffs, or UND has to incentivize the **** out of it for NDSU.

In the future should the situations flip, your argument will do a 180 as you will be in the position of power and have nothing to gain.

It does seem likely UND and NDSU are not destine to be on the same level. I would place a significant wager that NDSU will end up in the FBS in the somewhat near future and UND will stay FCS for quite along time after.

At that time, you will probably see an even larger portion of fans that are pro UND hockey and pro Bison Football.

You think one will leave without the other this time? And where is FU to go...Sun Belt? You have to be invited remember plus your Olympic sports aren't doing your school any favors. Baseball is close to losing its autobid, basketball (men's) hasn't won anything since the 08-09 season, women's basketball and volleyball are horrible. Plus where is the money coming from to move up? More scholarships, more money. Can't cut sports due to title IX. UND is in better shape financially so if they get invited into the FBS or if the Big Sky moves up as a whole with the possible FBS split they will be able to do so. Will NDSU wait for its partner in crime SDSU? Or can SDSU move up again WITHOUT USD? Not sure if the SDBoR will allow that. As for incentives to play first game in Fargo, second game in Grand Forks. There is your incentives. UND is having no problems filling out their football schedule.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM
You think one will leave without the other this time? And where is FU to go...Sun Belt? You have to be invited remember plus your Olympic sports aren't doing your school any favors. Baseball is close to losing its autobid, basketball (men's) hasn't won anything since the 08-09 season, women's basketball and volleyball are horrible. Plus where is the money coming from to move up? More scholarships, more money. Can't cut sports due to title IX. UND is in better shape financially so if they get invited into the FBS or if the Big Sky moves up as a whole with the possible FBS split they will be able to do so. Will NDSU wait for its partner in crime SDSU? Or can SDSU move up again WITHOUT USD? Not sure if the SDBoR will allow that. As for incentives to play first game in Fargo, second game in Grand Forks. There is your incentives. UND is having no problems filling out their football schedule.

There are a lot of variables no doubt, SDSU building a new stadium certainly doesn't hurt us.

I think there is no affilation between NDSU and UND, we could give zero ****s about UND when it comes to NDSU moving to the FBS should the opportunity present itself.

It is possible we could move with SDSU, its also possible we could move by ourselves. Who knows what the future holds.

I also think UND has relatively poor attendance and is in a somewhat more remote location when looking at dramatically increased attendance for FBS. They would probably need a new stadium and to tap Winnipeg to make it realistic.

catbob
September 20th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I don't know the history of this rivalry that created this whole mess between NDSU and UND, but as a fan who gets to enjoy one of the greatest in-state rivalries in the country at any level, I feel bad for you both. Rivalries with other schools are never the same, because there are guys on the Cats and Griz from all over Montana, big cities, small cities, and there is a bond there you don't get with out of state rivals. Especially in a state like Montana and North Dakota, where both schools are the two biggest attractions in the whole state, the biggest show.

The fact that there is some old argument that exists between the schools as to why they won't play, is just petty. There is no good reason why this can't be a great rivalry again.

Things are almost simpler than they appear.

And while in-state rivalry games do not do a ton for the economic value of the state as not much new $ is brought across state borders, Fargo and Grand Fork businesses would sure benefit from the large influx of people to their respective cities every other year.

Serious question NDSU fans - would any other fanbase travel as well to Fargo as UND would?

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 10:57 AM
There are a lot of variables no doubt, SDSU building a new stadium certainly doesn't hurt us.

But I don't think the SDBoR will let the two separate. And I can guarantee Faison is no Roger Thomas if NDSU moves UND will be ready with their bags packed.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I don't know the history of this rivalry that created this whole mess between NDSU and UND, but as a fan who gets to enjoy one of the greatest in-state rivalries in the country at any level, I feel bad for you both. Rivalries with other schools are never the same, because there are guys on the Cats and Griz from all over Montana, big cities, small cities, and there is a bond there you don't get with out of state rivals. Especially in a state like Montana and North Dakota, where both schools are the two biggest attractions in the whole state, the biggest show.

The fact that there is some old argument that exists between the schools as to why they won't play, is just petty. There is no good reason why this can't be a great rivalry again.

And while in-state rivalry games do not do a ton for the economic value of the state as not much new $ is brought across state borders, Fargo and Grand Fork businesses would sure benefit from the large influx of people to their respective cities every other year.

Serious question NDSU fans - would any other fanbase travel as well to Fargo as UND would?

I realize you bought out your game so you don't understand.

But we sold every important ticket for the ENTIRE year in 15 minutes on August first. And we sold EVERY SINGLE ticket in several hours.

No one can travel to fargo for a game because there are no tickets. period. end of story. When that changes there could be a reason for UND.

Tickets to our D2 game in week 2 were $100+ on the secondary market. I expect to sell my extra homecoming ticket for $200+ and yes I have a straight face, and yes that's ONE ticket.

Also, most of the UND fanbase lives in fargo already anyway. It's not really an economic boon for the city, if a UND fan wants to eat chicken they go to an FM KFC cause that's where they live already :p.

Go Bison
September 20th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Wow! This coming from a MSU fan that bought out a trip to NDSU. NDSU and MSU had a good rivalry going years ago and NDSU tried to start it up again and guess what happened? MSU bought out of the game due to money. It was a financial decision. Guess what? Not playing UND is also a financial decision!

Gil Dobie
September 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM

Montana and Montana St are in the same conference, which makes things much simpler.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Wow! This coming from a MSU fan that bought out a trip to NDSU. NDSU and MSU had a good rivalry going years ago and NDSU tried to start it up again and guess what happened? MSU bought out of the game due to money. It was a financial decision. Guess what? Not playing UND is also a financial decisionxlolx!

Sure it is. So when are you telling Montana you are buying out the return trip to Missoula to keep your precious 6 home games?

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Montana and Montana St are in the same conference, which makes things much simpler.

This I get why GT didn't want every year, and UND fans have accepted that.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Sure it is. So when are you telling Montana you are buying out the return trip to Missoula to keep your precious 6 home games?

When UND offers 10 million in gold jew teeth to incentivize our buying it out. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=udygefkLvjU

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 11:12 AM
This I get why GT didn't want every year, and UND fans have accepted that.

Well then, you can have a real conversation.

I would play UND OOC now and again, just only a home and home every ten years or something.

My argument is they are just another team. We should do nothing more for UND than we would for.. Nicholls State. That doesn't mean we shouldn't ever play Nicholls State, it just means it needs to be in our best interest.

aces1180
September 20th, 2013, 11:13 AM

UN_ would probably bring as many people to Fargo as SDSU or UNI, considering that visiting fans have an extremely hard time getting tickets. The economic impact to Fargo would be little, if any.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 11:15 AM
_ND would probably bring as many people to Fargo as SDSU or UNI, considering that visiting fans have an extremely hard time getting tickets. The economic impact to Fargo would be little, if any.

Not to mention most of the UND fans, especially the ones that would go, live in Fargo anyway.

aces1180
September 20th, 2013, 11:17 AM

I would play UND OOC now and again, just only a home and home every ten years or something.

My argument is they are just another team. We should do nothing more for UND than we would for.. Nicholls State. That doesn't mean we shouldn't ever play Nicholls State, it just means it needs to be in our best interest.

I agree with the bolded...I don't think they have earned a home/home. We're going to Montana because of their tradition and proven competitiveness. Let's also mention they don't need any favors selling out games, unlike UN_.

robsnotes4u
September 20th, 2013, 11:23 AM

One of the fear of losses. Everyone thought I meant loss of a game.

Bisonator
September 20th, 2013, 11:25 AM
When UND offers 10 million in gold jew teeth to incentivize our buying it out. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=udygefkLvjU

Oldie but a goodie. xthumbsupx

Someone needs to do a new one with the current leadership and include our latest championships and ESPN Gameday just for fun!:D

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 11:29 AM

I want UND to play one Dakota team a year and keep rotating the home and away. By that time us 4 Dakota teams will be FBS right. ;)

robsnotes4u
September 20th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Oldie but a goodie. xthumbsupx

Someone needs to do a new one with the current leadership and include our latest championships and ESPN Gameday just for fun!:D

That is a good one, forgot about it. Thanks for the humor

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I want UND to play one Dakota team a year and keep rotating the home and away. By that time us 4 Dakota teams will be FBS right. ;)

USD will never ever be FBS, unless Sanford personally finances it and then they will only be EMU 2.0..

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 11:40 AM

So a home and home every 8 years? That seems reasonable enough to me. Especialemente si ellos no son consecutivos.

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2013, 11:48 AM
USD is the "odd man out" in the 4 Dakota schools. They are the smallest (about 2/3 of the other three), least competitive teams (all sports), and most challenged of the 4 schools. I could see NDSU/SDSU partnering again to a higher level conference. IMHO, USD and SDSU are not tied at the hip.

UND has clearly demonstrated that they can go whatever direction will take them.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 11:50 AM
USD will never ever be FBS, unless Sanford personally finances it and then they will only be EMU 2.0..
Kinda puts SDSU in a bad spot if they want to move up if USD isn't ready to move and the SDBoR doesn't want to split them up again.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 11:53 AM
USD is the "odd man out" in the 4 Dakota schools. They are the smallest (about 2/3 of the other three), least competitive teams (all sports), and most challenged of the 4 schools. I could see NDSU/SDSU partnering again to a higher level conference. IMHO, USD and SDSU are not tied at the hip.

UND has clearly demonstrated that they can go whatever direction will take them.

Will the SDBoR allow SDSU to move up leaving USD alone (without even UND to help them)?

catbob
September 20th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Alright well I guess I am done posting in threads pertaining to NDSU, because apparently all NDSU fans see when an MSU fans says anything at all, even if it's positive towards NDSU, is "blah blah blah we are cowards who bought you out".

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Alright well I guess I am done posting in threads pertaining to NDSU, because apparently all NDSU fans see when an MSU fans says anything at all, even if it's positive towards NDSU, is "blah blah blah we are cowards who bought you out".

K, bye.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 12:48 PM

If you honestly don't see the financial downfall in this darrell there is no hope for you. I don't believe you are that thickheaded but maybe I'm wrong. If you are I gave you far to much credit.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 12:57 PM

Prognostication from a whioux fan...this is priceless. All we have to do is go back in time and look at the track record of that fanbase and the schools administration to see how well they can tell what is going to happen in the future and what's best for NDSU LOL.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 12:59 PM

They travel here already catbob, have you been to that craphole elforko grande? If North Dakota was to get an enema they'd place the tube in Grand Forks xlolx

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 01:01 PM
But I don't think the SDBoR will let the two separate. And I can guarantee Faison is no Roger Thomas if NDSU moves UND will be ready with their bags packed.

But But But what about that little detail you so gladly brought up before about having to have an invite? If that day ever came that NDSU got invited to a conference you think just because NDSU were to have one it would automatically include the whioux? xcoffeex

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 01:07 PM
But But But what about that little detail you so gladly brought up before about having to have an invite? If that day ever came that NDSU got invited to a conference you think just because NDSU were to have one it would automatically include the whioux? xcoffeex

No genius I am saying if NDSU was thinking of moving up I highly doubt BF will pull a Roger Thomas and stay in the FCS. If invited or if the BSC were to move up as a whole UND will go.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 01:10 PM
If you honestly don't see the financial downfall in this darrell there is no hope for you. I don't believe you are that thickheaded but maybe I'm wrong. If you are I gave you far to much credit.

Please enlighten me the financial difference in NDSU playing in Missoula compared to playing at Grand Forks. Besides NDSU may gain more money from a home and home with UM than UND due to travel costs. But it can't be by much.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 01:12 PM

Don't worry in 10 years FU fans will still bring up the buyout.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 01:25 PM

No genius I am saying if NDSU was thinking of moving up I highly doubt BF will pull a Roger Thomas and stay in the FCS. If invited or if the BSC were to move up as a whole UND will go.

You posted it. You made it sound as if we did at some point have an opportunity to move up to the FBS it would automatically include the whioux. So genius please expound.....

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 01:29 PM
You posted it. You made it sound as if we did at some point have an opportunity to move up to the FBS it would automatically include the whioux. So genius please expound.....

No, it wouldn't be automatic (it might if SDSU doesn't move) but UND won't wait 5 years to decide to move up once the invite comes they are gone.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM
No, it wouldn't be automatic (it might if SDSU doesn't move) but UND won't wait 5 years to decide to move up once the invite comes they are gone.

Please tell us how that will work out for you? You don't fill the grain shed now. Just because (using the analogy you have put forth) the Big Sky were to move up saying they were now FBS would that improve the attendance in the grain shed?

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Please tell us how that will work out for you? You don't fill the grain shed now. Just because (using the analogy you have put forth) the Big Sky were to move up saying they were now FBS would that improve the attendance in the grain shed?

NDSU wasn't selling out games left and right until recently. So what is your point about attendance. Just look at 2009-2010 for proof. Winning gets butts in the seats. Or did 2009 blow past your memory.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 02:11 PM
NDSU wasn't selling out games left and right until recently. So what is your point about attendance. Just look at 2009-2010 for proof. Winning gets butts in the seats. Or did 2009 blow past your memory.
Looks like the grain shed will have lot's of "Band Seats" for a long time to come xlolx

citdog
September 20th, 2013, 02:16 PM
you can call the Sioux teepee a grain shed if you like put NOTHING was worse than the HANGER.

http://tricitiessports.com/clients/tricitiessports/1-20-2008-10-42-47-PM-10878916.jpg

place reeked of pee.

pee in the butt

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Looks like the grain shed will have lot's of "Band Seats" for a long time to come xlolx
Which should be no concern to you then.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Which should be no concern to you then.

Just as empty seats years ago in Fargo should be no concern to you either xpeacex

Vitojr130
September 20th, 2013, 02:56 PM
No one cares. As I stated many times, the conversation should be dead and buried, along with rivalry, cuz right now it makes no sense to play them. Its been 10yrs since we have played, does it really matter if we play a game? I think not. We, ie, NDSU have bigger and better things to do than worry about UND and the sorry state of their football team.

Correction: You, and like minded folks, don't care. There are plenty of us who do who didn't have skin in the game for the b****fest that occurred between NDSU/UND when we moved to D1. They are our traditional rivals so it will ALWAYS make sense to play them. The argument that we don't "need" them is pointless because we didn't "need" them back when the rivalry was hot either. We won championships back then and will continue to do so no matter if we play them or not. They are part of our tradition and history just as much as we are part of theirs. This dick measuring contest pisses me and other CURRENT students off because the general consensus is that we want to see us play our traditional rival and kick their a$$. We hear stories of "the good old days" of the rivalry and yet we don't get to experience that. We try to make up rivalries between NDSU/SDSU and NDSU/UNI but they don't even come close when compared to NDSU/UND.

This conversation will never be dead and buried. This is one of the oldest rivalries in America. This is our history. Plenty of people want it back, like it or not.

Vitojr130
September 20th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Minnesota started it's rivalry with Hamline University in 1882, but is no longer played, similar to NDSU vs UND, 2 in-state former rivals that no longer play. NDSU has played a lot of schools more than UND in the last 10 years, even Minnesota 3 times. Each year more schools pass the number of times NDSU played UND, the SDSU vs NDSU game will surpass that unless UND and NDSU are in the same conference.

Minnesota/Hamline is a little different... One is FBS and the other is a D2 squad. NDSU and UND are in the same division...

Vitojr130
September 20th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Really? Our seats are in section 17 right next to you whipper snappers and I haven't heard it once.

To fair I can't hear section 17 either... But, I promise that it is said.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 03:07 PM
To fair I can't hear section 17 either... But, I promise that it is said.

Section 17 doesn't know how to stand or be loud. They are a sad excuse for premium seats.

I am speaking in general terms, there are a few rows towards the front that know whats going on.

**This is my 7th year in Section 16, so I am very familiar with the failings of Section 17.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Correction: You, and like minded folks, don't care. There are plenty of us who do who didn't have skin in the game for the b****fest that occurred between NDSU/UND when we moved to D1. They are our traditional rivals so it will ALWAYS make sense to play them. The argument that we don't "need" them is pointless because we didn't "need" them back when the rivalry was hot either. We won championships back then and will continue to do so no matter if we play them or not. They are part of our tradition and history just as much as we are part of theirs. This dick measuring contest pisses me and other CURRENT students off because the general consensus is that we want to see us play our traditional rival and kick their a$$. We hear stories of "the good old days" of the rivalry and yet we don't get to experience that. We try to make up rivalries between NDSU/SDSU and NDSU/UNI but they don't even come close when compared to NDSU/UND.

This conversation will never be dead and buried. This is one of the oldest rivalries in America. This is our history. Plenty of people want it back, like it or not.

Unless you are an "Older" student going back after years away from school the last time these two teams played you got excited about leggo's and getting a peek at your old mans copy of Penthouse. So don't tell those of us who were around to see years of the crap that went on between these two schools how great the rivalry was when you don't know squat firsthand. Top that off with the fact that you completely overlook the financial aspect of this which is huge if forced into a yearly game. You can have a dick measuring contest when you have something to measure. Until then you are still wet behind the ears. Gotta love kids who know everything. Don't know why he bothered to go to school!

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Just as empty seats years ago in Fargo should be no concern to you either xpeacex

Agreed!

Bisonoline
September 20th, 2013, 03:15 PM

Where are they going to get tickets? We are sold out. So I am trying to figure our where the added economic influx is going to come from? If there is a visitor allotment it sure wont be much.

Bisonoline
September 20th, 2013, 03:16 PM

Sure hasnt stopped them so far.

Bisonoline
September 20th, 2013, 03:19 PM

Bet we dont.

Bisonoline
September 20th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Will the SDBoR allow SDSU to move up leaving USD alone (without even UND to help them)?

Why do you keep thinking UND will be a factor. Or in the conversation for that matter? Youve gone your own way.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Why do you keep thinking UND will be a factor. Or in the conversation for that matter? Youve gone your own way.

It's a desperate attempt to keep them in any conversation and blind hope they will somehow be relevant if and when that day ever comes a FBS invite to NDSU was to ever happen.

Bisonoline
September 20th, 2013, 03:30 PM

How do you know this?

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Bet we dont.

So when you have 5 home games in 2015 how is NDSU going to pay the bills? You guys say you can't schedule UND because it's not financially sound to play at UND because you need six home games.

Vitojr130
September 20th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Unless you are an "Older" student going back after years away from school the last time these two teams played you got excited about leggo's and getting a peek at your old mans copy of Penthouse. So don't tell those of us who were around to see years of the crap that went on between these two schools how great the rivalry was when you don't know squat firsthand. Top that off with the fact that you completely overlook the financial aspect of this which is huge if forced into a yearly game. You can have a dick measuring contest when you have something to measure. Until then you are still wet behind the ears. Gotta love kids who know everything. Don't know why he bothered to go to school!

I was 13 the last time NDSU/UND played. F***, even back then I was well aware of the rivalry due to family who has went to NDSU. Does that mean I was aware of all the dick measuring going on behind the scenes? No. I've heard plenty of stories to make the judgment that the NDSU/UND rivalry was one of the greats in America. I did not completely overlook the financial aspect of the game nor did I say it had to be a yearly game. However, I know that NDSU will have both up years and down years (2008 anyone?) and won't ALWAYS sell out the Fargodome. NDSU does have the upperhand right now and holds all the marbles, but it won't always be like this.

Gotta love adults who assume a 23 year old cannot form educated assessments (and refers to them as "kids" xlolx).

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 03:35 PM
How do you know this?

Cause Faison knows the outrage to be behind NDSU again in another division. RT didn't care and put all his eggs on SU failing. Boy did that backfire in his face.

Bisonoline
September 20th, 2013, 03:37 PM
So when you have 5 home games in 2015 how is NDSU going to pay the bills? You guys say you can't schedule UND because it's not financially sound to play at UND because you need six home games.

We dont need 6 home games. We WANT 6 home games. We want 6 home games for our fans. The added revenue is nice also. Nice try.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 03:48 PM
We dont need 6 home games. We WANT 6 home games. We want 6 home games for our fans. The added revenue is nice also. Nice try.

Nope all I heard from bison fans is it's not financially possible to play at UND because you lose a home game. But yet I don't hear any other FCS team use that excuse not to play on the road.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 03:50 PM
UND was connected with USD through the move of the SU's now if those two move up USD is screwed since UND is no longer connected with them, that stopped the day they joined the MVFC.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 03:58 PM
I was 13 the last time NDSU/UND played. F***, even back then I was well aware of the rivalry due to family who has went to NDSU. Does that mean I was aware of all the dick measuring going on behind the scenes? No. I've heard plenty of stories to make the judgment that the NDSU/UND rivalry was one of the greats in America. I did not completely overlook the financial aspect of the game nor did I say it had to be a yearly game. However, I know that NDSU will have both up years and down years (2008 anyone?) and won't ALWAYS sell out the Fargodome. NDSU does have the upperhand right now and holds all the marbles, but it won't always be like this.

Gotta love adults who assume a 23 year old cannot form educated assessments (and refers to them as "kids" xlolx).

You were aware because of family who went there? Were you there? No you were still playing with those leggo's. As far as how NDSU will or will not do in regards to filling the dome you have no clue. Yes we are going to have some down years but comparing NDSU now to what it was years ago is like apples and oranges. Has Montana been winning every year? No. Do you know how fast tickets go for the Griz regardless of winning or making the playoffs? The Griz are thee premier football team historically in Montana just as NDSU has been for the state of North Dakota. Why would it be different now for NDSU if we had an off year or two like the Griz have where we still wouldn't have a sold out venue? Listen you have the right to want something just as much as the next person but the least you can do is acknowledge the fact times have changed and NDSU football has grown leaps and bounds beyond what is was the last time we played the whioux. I see no reason with how we've grown to think anything will be different for us if we have a down year. People are not going to want to give up tickets when there is a waiting list of people who want to get season tickets.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Darrell keeps disliking my posts I'm so flattered xlolx

Vitojr130
September 20th, 2013, 04:16 PM
You were aware because of family who went there? Were you there? No you were still playing with those leggo's. As far as how NDSU will or will not do in regards to filling the dome you have no clue. Yes we are going to have some down years but comparing NDSU now to what it was years ago is like apples and oranges. Has Montana been winning every year? No. Do you know how fast tickets go for the Griz regardless of winning or making the playoffs? The Griz are thee premier football team historically in Montana just as NDSU has been for the state of North Dakota. Why would it be different now for NDSU if we had an off year or two like the Griz have where we still wouldn't have a sold out venue? Listen you have the right to want something just as much as the next person but the least you can do is acknowledge the fact times have changed and NDSU football has grown leaps and bounds beyond what is was the last time we played the whioux. I see no reason with how we've grown to think anything will be different for us if we have a down year. People are not going to want to give up tickets when there is a waiting list of people who want to get season tickets.

Then why do you do it? You have negative feelings towards the rivalry and assume it would be exactly the same as whatever you think of it. Situations have changed. The people who were responsible for ruining it for you and others have grown up now. The fanbases have changed.

You accuse Darrel of being a butthurt Whioux fan, but the butthurt flows on both sides, and that's from a fellow Bison fan.

My generation is missing out. We want to be able to form our own opinions on the rivalry instead of have others tell us how we should feel about it. Hate it all you want, but UND is part of our history and a lot of people think they should be part of our future. You could argue the whole, "Learn from our mistakes" thing, but at the same time, your generation only accounts for a chunk of the 120 year history of the rivalry (unless you are 100 or something, which I doubt).

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Then why do you do it? You have negative feelings towards the rivalry and assume it would be exactly the same as whatever you think of it. Situations have changed. The people who were responsible for ruining it for you and others have grown up now. The fanbases have changed.

You accuse Darrel of being a butthurt Whioux fan, but the butthurt flows on both sides, and that's from a fellow Bison fan.

My generation is missing out. We want to be able to form our own opinions on the rivalry instead of have others tell us how we should feel about it. Hate it all you want, but UND is part of our history and a lot of people think they should be part of our future. You could argue the whole, "Learn from our mistakes" thing, but at the same time, your generation only accounts for a chunk of the 120 year history of the rivalry (unless you are 100 or something, which I doubt).

Nope just a little over half way there. You missed out on Vietnam and WWII but do you want to bring that back to?

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Nope just a little over half way there. You missed out on Vietnam and WWII but do you want to bring that back to?

So you are now comparing the UND/NDSU rivalry to two of the bloodiest wars in US history. WOW!!!xsmhx

Bisonoline
September 20th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Nope all I heard from bison fans is it's not financially possible to play at UND because you lose a home game. But yet I don't hear any other FCS team use that excuse not to play on the road.

Nobody said it wasnt finacially possible. Your comprehension skills are lacking or you are just reading what you want it to.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2013, 04:27 PM
So you are now comparing the UND/NDSU rivalry to two of the bloodiest wars in US history. WOW!!!xsmhx

You obviously don't interpret sarcasm. WOW is right!!

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Nobody said it wasnt finacially possible. Your comprehension skills are lacking or you are just reading what you want it to.

BisonBacker

Because our AD has a scheduling philosophy where he want's to play a FBS pay game every year. To make a yearly game with an OOC opponent severely limits or hampers his ability to continue to get a FBS pay game not to mention we lose a home game in our OOC schedule. To play this game like un_ fans want would cost NDSU financially no matter how they un_ fans try to slice it or sugar coat it. It makes no financial sense period to play this game. Bottom line is follow the dollars and when you do the bottom line doesn't have them on our schedule.

IBleedYellow

I know their are large donors that would pull their funding (probably 10-15 scholarships, at least) if we would schedule them in the regular season and go up the Grand Forks.

darell1976
September 20th, 2013, 04:30 PM
You obviously don't interpret sarcasm. WOW is right!!

Because sarcasm is easy to recognize on a monitor.

No_Skill
September 20th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Section 17 doesn't know how to stand or be loud. They are a sad excuse for premium seats.

I am speaking in general terms, there are a few rows towards the front that know whats going on.

**This is my 7th year in Section 16, so I am very familiar with the failings of Section 17.

Look to the nosebleeds...that's where all the awesome people sit.

Darlinikki150
September 20th, 2013, 08:38 PM

What exactly do u think u are missing out on? We play all sorts of quality teams, what makes a game against UND do special? I will tell u nothing! I would rather play UNI or SDSU any day of the week over UND. It isn't a special rivalry when UND seems to need the game for monetary reasons, not good old fashioned rivalry reasons. I said no on cares because u don't seem to see the big picture , we r the back to back champs. Who gives a **** about a half passed Sioux team. If u want to see the rivalry go to s basketball game. As on "old schooler" I can the u the game isn't near as fun as it was in the 90s it before. As for the student section, I'm in the South End Zone and I never hear the students yell Sioux Suck ****! So either they whisper it or ur fibbing, and I have had tix down there for over 10 years.

I'm not dismissing ur eunthusasism, its great the "kids" wanna hate the Sioux but ur failing to see it will never be what it once was and good with that. The Bison are on a different path than the Sioux and it seems to me the path we chose has served us well. Let UND find their own way without us, cuz lest we not forget they broke ties with us. You reap what you sew.

robsnotes4u
September 20th, 2013, 09:32 PM
What exactly do u think u are missing out on? We play all sorts of quality teams, what makes a game against UND do special? I will tell u nothing! I would rather play UNI or SDSU any day of the week over UND. It isn't a special rivalry when UND seems to need the game for monetary reasons, not good old fashioned rivalry reasons. I said no on cares because u don't seem to see the big picture , we r the back to back champs. Who gives a **** about a half passed Sioux team. If u want to see the rivalry go to s basketball game. As on "old schooler" I can the u the game isn't near as fun as it was in the 90s it before. As for the student section, I'm in the South End Zone and I never hear the students yell Sioux Suck ****! So either they whisper it or ur fibbing, and I have had tix down there for over 10 years.

I'm not dismissing ur eunthusasism, its great the "kids" wanna hate the Sioux but ur failing to see it will never be what it once was and good with that. The Bison are on a different path than the Sioux and it seems to me the path we chose has served us well. Let UND find their own way without us, cuz lest we not forget they broke ties with us. You reap what you sew.

God complex

A man/woman with a narcissistic personality that believes everyone should bow down to him/her. This person usually believes that they are the best at everything and that everyone idolizes them.

Egotist; Vain; Selfish; Self-involved; Self-entitled; Self serving…

Does the shoe fit?

Bisonoline
September 20th, 2013, 10:41 PM
BisonBacker

IBleedYellow

You said---"Nope all I heard from bison fans is it's not financially possible to play at UND "
BB said----"To play this game like un_ fans want would cost NDSU financially "

You do see the difference dont you?

Darlinikki150
September 20th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Robsnotes4u, I can tell your psychology 101 class has served you well. Thanks for the counseling session Buddy!

Twentysix
September 20th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Look to the nosebleeds...that's where all the awesome people sit.

I think the people in 17 change pretty regularly, alot of them might be corporate sponsor seats.

Hammersmith
September 20th, 2013, 11:25 PM
You know, I think there was a time when I actually had a shred of respect for darell. That time is now long gone. I hate trolls whose only goal is to waste people's time with obvious drivel and circular arguments. The type of person who deliberately and willfully ignores the overwhelming evidence to hold onto a tiny fragment of an argument just to keep things alive and continue the trolling. I'm not answering his point for him, but for the handful of posters who may not know the answer and are curious.

Why will NDSU schedule a H&H with Montana and not UND? Three reasons. First, when NDSU was considering a move to DI, Montana agreed to a game when we needed an idea of what we were facing. Not only did that game give us that taste, the upset win propelled our program to its first level of success in the new DI era. In short, they were a friend when we needed it. In contrast, UND actively worked against us during that same period. A small part of the Montana contract is returning a favor to a friend. That's not to say NDSU isn't also getting a benefit out of the contract, but the best agreements are those where both parties win.

Second, we want to occasionally bring in marquee FCS programs to the Fargodome. The only way those programs will agree to come here is through H&Hs. We don't want to give up our 6th home game every year or every other year, but every once in awhile is acceptable if the opponent is quality. We'll still maintain a heavy diet of cupcakes, but we do need some occasional variety. Montana is the type of program to break up that cupcake diet.

And that leads us to the most important reason. Single H&H agreements with quality FCS opponents are just that: single. If we play Montana in each location once and then don't sign a new contract, there won't be a hue and cry afterword. We can choose to go 2 years between FCS OOC away games or 4 years or 7 years or eleventy-five years. It gives us a level of scheduling freedom. If we were to agree to a contract with UND, we would be locked into something for perpetuity. The contract might say 2 years or 4 years or 8 years, but the reality would be an indefinite contract. Once the game is started up again(other than playoffs), politics will not allow NDSU to cancel it. That trigger can't be unpulled.

So those are the reasons why Montana is okay and UND is not. They should be good for an honest intelligent reader. I'm sure darell will try to squirm out of it somehow, but I hope no one will respond to it.

darell1976
September 21st, 2013, 01:18 AM
You know, I think there was a time when I actually had a shred of respect for darell. That time is now long gone. I hate trolls whose only goal is to waste people's time with obvious drivel and circular arguments. The type of person who deliberately and willfully ignores the overwhelming evidence to hold onto a tiny fragment of an argument just to keep things alive and continue the trolling. I'm not answering his point for him, but for the handful of posters who may not know the answer and are curious.

Why will NDSU schedule a H&H with Montana and not UND? Three reasons. First, when NDSU was considering a move to DI, Montana agreed to a game when we needed an idea of what we were facing. Not only did that game give us that taste, the upset win propelled our program to its first level of success in the new DI era. In short, they were a friend when we needed it. In contrast, UND actively worked against us during that same period. A small part of the Montana contract is returning a favor to a friend. That's not to say NDSU isn't also getting a benefit out of the contract, but the best agreements are those where both parties win.

Second, we want to occasionally bring in marquee FCS programs to the Fargodome. The only way those programs will agree to come here is through H&Hs. We don't want to give up our 6th home game every year or every other year, but every once in awhile is acceptable if the opponent is quality. We'll still maintain a heavy diet of cupcakes, but we do need some occasional variety. Montana is the type of program to break up that cupcake diet.

And that leads us to the most important reason. Single H&H agreements with quality FCS opponents are just that: single. If we play Montana in each location once and then don't sign a new contract, there won't be a hue and cry afterword. We can choose to go 2 years between FCS OOC away games or 4 years or 7 years or eleventy-five years. It gives us a level of scheduling freedom. If we were to agree to a contract with UND, we would be locked into something for perpetuity. The contract might say 2 years or 4 years or 8 years, but the reality would be an indefinite contract. Once the game is started up again(other than playoffs), politics will not allow NDSU to cancel it. That trigger can't be unpulled.

So those are the reasons why Montana is okay and UND is not. They should be good for an honest intelligent reader. I'm sure darell will try to squirm out of it somehow, but I hope no one will respond to it.

What about the 2 for 1 with South Dakota they also stopped the series with FU in 2003, but GT had no problem getting them back on the slate, are they the marquee team you are talking about? If you or no one else want to respond that's okay we know the answer.

Twentysix
September 21st, 2013, 01:21 AM
What about the 2 for 1 with South Dakota they also stopped the series with FU in 2003, but GT had no problem getting them back on the slate, are they the marquee team you are talking about? If you or no one else want to respond that's okay we know the answer.

Brian Faison - UND Athletic Director: “That's where we're at in terms of getting the series started, and Gene and I respectfully disagree on continuation of playing every year and Gene believes every other year, so we got to get it started, so that's where we gotta be assuming we get the contracts signed.”

It's not like GT hasn't offered UND a deal.

15 17 19 21 wasn't good enough.

I wouldn't be surprised to see UND @ NDSU in '15 and NDSU @ UND in '17.

OOC games @UM vs UND @Arizona '15, that's my bet.

word
September 21st, 2013, 03:13 AM
Just enjoy your bye week _arrell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

darell1976
September 21st, 2013, 03:58 AM
Brian Faison - UND Athletic Director: “That's where we're at in terms of getting the series started, and Gene and I respectfully disagree on continuation of playing every year and Gene believes every other year, so we got to get it started, so that's where we gotta be assuming we get the contracts signed.”

It's not like GT hasn't offered UND a deal.

15 17 19 21 (tel:15 17 19 21) wasn't good enough.

I wouldn't be surprised to see UND @ NDSU in '15 and NDSU @ UND in '17.

OOC games @UM vs UND @Arizona '15, that's my bet.

Is NDSU playing Arizona?

Twentysix
September 21st, 2013, 04:40 AM
Is NDSU playing Arizona?

GT said ASU or Arizona in 2015, but in 2015 ASU is already playing CP, so its likely Arizona. No contract yet, but when these things are talked about by the ad they usually happen.

SUPharmacist
September 21st, 2013, 05:03 AM
God complex

A man/woman with a narcissistic personality that believes everyone should bow down to him/her. This person usually believes that they are the best at everything and that everyone idolizes them.

Egotist; Vain; Selfish; Self-involved; Self-entitled; Self serving…

Does the shoe fit?

Apparently message boards are not supposed to be used for expressing opinions. Now I realize they are for individuals like you to judge the rest of us without offering your thoughts on the subject at hand. For what it is worth, my opinion would be to leave the rivalry in the past. I now await your psychoanalysis, after which I will have no choice but to repent for my old ways and try to live a better life through your guidance.

BisonBacker
September 21st, 2013, 06:52 AM

Way to funny that darrell dislikes this post. Why? Because it's not only the truth but it makes sense. xthumbsupx

robsnotes4u
September 21st, 2013, 07:28 AM
Apparently message boards are not supposed to be used for expressing opinions. Now I realize they are for individuals like you to judge the rest of us without offering your thoughts on the subject at hand. For what it is worth, my opinion would be to leave the rivalry in the past. I now await your psychoanalysis, after which I will have no choice but to repent for my old ways and try to live a better life through your guidance.

There are different ways to express your your opinions, good and bad. One of your own, a college student, comes on here and gets jumped on because the student body, his student body, wants to play UND. Pathetic and embarrassing.

I offer my opinion, and it the NDSU fan base, in their child like ways, have told me to STFU, and called me out to a fight.

By the way, you judged my post and me so we are even.

Thank you for your opinion, I would like them to play again. With that being said my life will not effect my life if they do or the don't. Thanks for the compliment, but You need to go to confession or something if you want to repent, sorry I can't help nor guide you. I will just guide myself.

aces1180
September 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
Even UN_ apologists are starting to see the light.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/273703/

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 22nd, 2013, 08:58 AM

Probably because USD did not actively campaign against NDSU like UND did when NDSU made the decision to move up. But I suppose you forgot about those facts....xeyebrowx

darell1976
September 22nd, 2013, 11:31 AM
Even UN_ apologists are starting to see the light.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/273703/

Nor should NDSU be forced into a schedule not in its own interests.

NDSU's interest is to find a DI game, UND is a DI team. UND is in NDSU's interests. So according to this guy if NDSU has yet other scheduling problems people like Dom Izzo shouldn't look to UND for a game because NDSU doesn't need UND. Garbage article.

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
NDSU's interest is to find a DI game, UND is a DI team. UND is in NDSU's interests. So according to this guy if NDSU has yet other scheduling problems people like Dom Izzo shouldn't look to UND for a game because NDSU doesn't need UND. Garbage article.

what happened to moo u? For awhile its all you posted.xcoolx

darell1976
September 22nd, 2013, 11:43 AM
what happened to moo u? For awhile its all you posted.xcoolx

I haven't used that in a while, FU (Fargo University) sounds better, plus its in media standards with the Summit League.:D

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2013, 11:45 AM
I haven't used that in a while, FU (Fargo University) sounds better, plus its in media standards with the Summit League.:D

Ahh, It looks like Farm University imo. Fargo College was actually a thing unrelated to NDSU.

aces1180
September 22nd, 2013, 11:57 AM

If UN_ is willing to accept a home game at the Dome for $180,000, let's play the game...However, the UN_ administration wants a home/home and that doesn't work for NDSU.

Deal with it.

aces1180
September 22nd, 2013, 12:00 PM

Media standards of the Summit focused on schools that used their state affiliation along with the city they were located. UMKC = Kansas City, UNO = Omaha, IPFW = Fort Wayne...NDSU, USD, SDSU and Western Illinois were except...I'm not sure what IUPUI was supposed to be called.

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2013, 12:02 PM
Media standards of the Summit focused on schools that used their state affiliation along with the city they were located. UMKC = Kansas City, UNO = Omaha, IPFW = Fort Wayne...NDSU, USD, SDSU and Western Illinois were except...I'm not sure what IUPUI was supposed to be called.

Indianapolis.

Indiana University (IU) Purdue University (PU) at Indianapolis

I think technically their name should be written IUPU-I, like UN-L, or Minnesota-TC, UC-LA, UC-Berkeley etc. it makes it less confusing.

aces1180
September 22nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Indianapolis.

Indiana University (IU) Purdue University (PU) at Indianapolis

I think technically their name should be written IUPU-I, like UN-L, or Minnesota-TC, UC-LA etc.

Gotcha...I wasn't sure if they went with Indianapolis or not.

Also, Oakland was not included either.

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Gotcha...I wasn't sure if they went with Indianapolis or not.

Also, Oakland was not included either.

Oakland is named after its county, idk what they would have done, auburn hills isn't really any more known of a name than Oakland, at least people can think they are from the bay.

OU was a pretty nice school, its campus looked a lot like NDSU, which isn't really that nice.

darell1976
September 22nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
Ahh, It looks like Farm University imo. Fargo College was actually a thing unrelated to NDSU.

Where was Fargo College? Is there anything there?

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Where was Fargo College? Is there anything there?

I'll look into its location and snap a picture of where it used to be.

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2013, 12:20 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img17/5968/1e7t.png

South of Island park, I don't have an exact address yet. It was closed in 1922.

601 Fourth Street South The fargo fine arts club, was its music hall, and apparently is the only building still standing.

darell1976
Oakland is named after its county, idk what they would have done, auburn hills isn't really any more known of a name than Oakland, at least people can think they are from the bay.

OU was a pretty nice school, its campus looked a lot like NDSU, which isn't really that nice.

I thought that when I heard NDSU was going to play Oakland in the SL. I was like that would be a cool trip...until I heard where Oakland University really was.

aces1180

http://library.ndsu.edu/fargo-history/?q=content/fargo-college

robsnotes4u
September 22nd, 2013, 01:04 PM

601 Fourth Street South The fargo fine arts club, was its music hall, and apparently is the only building still standing.

That is cool, never knew there was such a thing. The Fine Arts club is that the white building kitty corner from Prairie?

Darlinikki150
September 23rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/413003/

Finally an article that makes sense.....