PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky rankings-Week 4

JALMOND
September 24th, 2006, 01:46 PM
OK, here are my rankings for the Big Sky after the first complete week of conference play. Take them as you may and, of course, all are open for discussion...

1. Montana (1)---Trouncing of Sacramento State sent a statement that the Griz are ready. Obviously, the road to the Big Sky championship still goes through Missoula. A tough game this weekend on the road against Portland State, but any indication is that the Griz are pumped already.

2. Portland State (2)---Any road victory on the road in conference play is a good victory and the Vikings got one this weekend against Weber. The defense came through and the makeshift offense did just enough to get the win. Both sides of the ball need to be better as the mighty Grizzlies come to town this weekend. PSU wants to be a player so this game will tell if they are or not.

3. Northern Arizona (4)---Tough road victory this past weekend against Idaho State shoots the Jacks up a notch. Murietta is finally returning to form, a thought that should scare most Big Sky defenses. A game this weekend at home against Montana State on paper, should be an easy one. But are there any easy games in the Big Sky ever?

4. Weber State (3)---Dropped one at home against Portland State, one that should never happen in the Big Sky if you want to contend. The defense is superb, but the offense needs to get going. The Wildcats need to get the next game, at home against Northern Colorado.

5. Idaho State (5)---Held up well against N Arizona but still got the loss. Home losses are hard to make up as winning on the road has proven more difficult. An off week comes at a good time for the Bengals as they will be looking for a good win in two weeks against Northern Colorado.

6. E Washington (8)---A sloppy road win against Montana State moves the Eagles up two. They still don't seem to be operating on all cylinders, but winning the first conference game means you are 1-0, and up near the top. Good momentum for their game against Sacramento State at home.

7. N Colorado (7)---The only team to play non conference this weekend as Western Illinois came to town. The Bears gave a good effort but still came out on the short end to the Gateway foe. Next up, a road conference game against Weber State. Can they steal on in Ogden?

8. Montana State (6)---Once again a bad loss at home to a struggling team, Eastern Washington. When will the light shine on the Cats? This week they have to play Northern Arizona at Flagstaff. Maybe its good to get away from Bozeman for a little while. Oh well, they still beat Colorado.

9. Sacramento State (9)---Hornets start play with a blowout loss to Montana, not really how you would want to start. Does it get much better? Time will tell. This week they play Eastern Washington on the road. Oh, brother.

Synopsis: UM clearly the leader right now. PSU a little further back. NAU, WSU and ISU fighting out for 3-5. EWU, even though they are 1-0 in the conference, the way they played I had to put them behind 0-1 WSU and ISU. UNC has played well enough to put them ahead of MSU. The Cats are ahead of SSU just because they have a win. The Hornets need any kind of win.

ncbears
September 24th, 2006, 01:49 PM
4. Weber State (3)---Dropped one at home against Portland State, one that should never happen in the Big Sky if you want to contend. The defense is superb, but the offense needs to get going. The Wildcats need to get the next game, at home against Northern Colorado.

How can you say they have a superb defense when they gave up 30 points to a "makeshift" PSU offense? Explain please.

JALMOND
September 24th, 2006, 01:53 PM
How can you say they have a superb defense when they gave up 30 points to a "makeshift" PSU offense? Explain please.

PSU beat WSU 20-10. PSU returned an INT deep in Wildcat territory and also returned the second half kickoff deep as well. Short field resulted in 10 points, the difference in the game. Clearly Weber's D is far ahead of their offense.

GreenDay17
September 24th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Looks to be a fair and honest assessment of the Big Sky so far.

I'm still not sold on anyone's offense although currently Montana and NAU appear to be able to move the ball and score best. PSU could be in that category if they get their TB and QB back from injury.

griz37
September 24th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I think you nailed the rankings Jalmond. Obviously the PSU-UM game will go a long way to determine the conference championship. Looks like NAU may have something to say about who gets the auto-bid before the season is over.

Jackluv
September 24th, 2006, 03:43 PM
i think that PSU will beat Montana this week at home. just my own opinion. this is what i love AND hate about the big sky though. ISU , even though losing to NAU, will end up beating some one big like they always do. Somehow Montana or PSU or NAU will love to an inferior team and the rankings will be everywhere. the best part of the big sky hahaha

Proud Griz Man
September 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I think you nailed the rankings Jalmond. Obviously the PSU-UM game will go a long way to determine the conference championship. Looks like NAU may have something to say about who gets the auto-bid before the season is over.

I agree, for now. Especially on 1-4, but by early-November the 5-9 will shuffle as Montana State get things under control and they will move up. Kramer is a master speaker (like WJC) and motivational king, and they have some talent there.

Proud Griz Man
September 24th, 2006, 04:17 PM
i think that PSU will beat Montana this week at home. just my own opinion. this is what i love AND hate about the big sky though. ISU , even though losing to NAU, will end up beating some one big like they always do. Somehow Montana or PSU or NAU will love to an inferior team and the rankings will be everywhere. the best part of the big sky hahaha

I'll take Montana plus the points Mr. Jackluv. PM me with your 'line' and friendly wager. :twocents: :twocents:
I don't really know what "love to an inferior team..." means, but don't care.

I Bleed Purple
September 24th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Jalmond gave you a good enough explanation, but I'll further it.

59 plays. 161 yards.

Less than 3 yards per play. The two touchdown drives combined were barely 50 yards.

Ronbo
September 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Sac State will beat UNC, EWU, and MSU.

Jacks76
September 24th, 2006, 10:43 PM
What is the record for most I-AA teams from the same conference in the playoffs during any single year? 3? 4?

Paul

Tod
September 24th, 2006, 10:51 PM
What is the record for most I-AA teams from the same conference in the playoffs during any single year? 3? 4?

Paul

I know that recently the A-10 has had four teams. But with 12 teams, that's not as impressive, mathematically, as an eight-team conference having three teams, which I believe has been done several times.

GrizzlyEdd
September 24th, 2006, 11:14 PM

PSU's starting and 2nd string QBs are out... One of their running backs is hurting... "make shift" is pretty accurate don't you think??

You must have missed the news on that one...:nono:

ncbears
September 24th, 2006, 11:22 PM
PSU's starting and 2nd string QBs are out... One of their running backs is hurting... "make shift" is pretty accurate don't you think??

You must have missed the news on that one...:nono:

I knew they were out GrizzlyEdd. I know that they are makeshift. My point was how can JALMOND say Weber's defense was good when PSU, despite missing all those offensive players, still put 30 on the board.

Tod
September 25th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I knew they were out GrizzlyEdd. I know that they are makeshift. My point was how can JALMOND say Weber's defense was good when PSU, despite missing all those offensive players, still put 30 on the board.

They didn't, they put 20 on the board.

I Bleed Purple
September 25th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I guess I have to spell it out more.

3 points on about a thirty yard drive after a turnover and a stupid PF penalty.

7 points on a twenty two yard drive after a turnover.

7 points on a thirty yard drive after a long kick return, half of which came on a trick fourth down play with three RBs lined up split in the backfield. Split, not in a wishbone.

3 points on a forty yard drive where a questionable spot allowed a first down. Two well run trap counter plays garnered most of the yardage on that drive.

42 rushes for 111 yards. Less than three yards a carry. 17 passes for 50 yards. Less than three yards a pass.

The defense for Weber State was superb.

JALMOND
September 25th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I guess I have to spell it out more.

3 points on about a thirty yard drive after a turnover and a stupid PF penalty.

7 points on a twenty two yard drive after a turnover.

7 points on a thirty yard drive after a long kick return, half of which came on a trick fourth down play with three RBs lined up split in the backfield. Split, not in a wishbone.

3 points on a forty yard drive where a questionable spot allowed a first down. Two well run trap counter plays garnered most of the yardage on that drive.

42 rushes for 111 yards. Less than three yards a carry. 17 passes for 50 yards. Less than three yards a pass.

The defense for Weber State was superb.

I must agree. WSU has a great defense and it will keep the Wildcats in their games all year.

ncbears
September 25th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Our offense finally got on track on Saturday, but our defense is what lost that game against the Leathernecks. If your offense is struggling like ours, it should be a low scoring game on Thursday. I thought about making the trip to Ogden, it's a short 6.5 hours from Greeley, but they moved the game to a Thursday.

already123
September 25th, 2006, 09:57 PM
so lets put it out there....how will the bigsky conference fair this year? who will win conf? who will go to the playoffs?

personally, i like portland and nau. of course montana is strong but i think this will be the year they are rdethroned. history tells us that the bigsky has always been wide open...so...let me know what you think

GreenDay17
September 25th, 2006, 10:02 PM
so lets put it out there....how will the bigsky conference fair this year? who will win conf? who will go to the playoffs?

personally, i like portland and nau. of course montana is strong but i think this will be the year they are rdethroned. history tells us that the bigsky has always been wide open...so...let me know what you think

You've got the right three teams. I would feel better about dethroning Montana if PSU were closer to full strength. NAU will factor but must travel to Missoula.

nevadagriz
September 25th, 2006, 10:36 PM
nau has looked good on offense this year how is your defense? I'm not being sarcastic i don't know. I watched your game against ASU but don't know stats from the others!
My only problem with Psu even if they beat the GRIZ is that they still have Oregon on the slate. Whoever scheduled 3 I-a games for PSU must have thought you needed money more than a possible trip to the playoffs! Not that it can't still be done it just leaves little room for error: smh :

igo4uni
September 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Paul

In 2003, the Gateway got 4 playoff bids.

UNI, SIU, WKU, and WIU.

putter
September 25th, 2006, 11:36 PM
PSU just added a QB transfer from Colorado so that throws a wrinkle into the mix. Bobby Hauck (HC) said he does not know much about him but they do have film of him. We will see what happens

DaGriz
September 25th, 2006, 11:45 PM
PSU just added a QB transfer from Colorado so that throws a wrinkle into the mix. Bobby Hauck (HC) said he does not know much about him but they do have film of him. We will see what happens

Cats just beat him. How good can he be? :D

I Bleed Purple
September 26th, 2006, 12:17 AM
The funny thing about that. At games, I listen to our radio guys. They were talking all night about the I-A transfers. Seems like PSU is a haven for rejects. :D

RobsPics
September 26th, 2006, 12:49 AM
The funny thing about that. At games, I listen to our radio guys. They were talking all night about the I-A transfers. Seems like PSU is a haven for rejects. :D

Who got beat by a 3rd string QB?

...oh yeah thats right :)

I Bleed Purple
September 26th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Hey, quarterback isn't as important in the college game than the pros.

That being said, our quarterbacks have played like third stringers all year, so any team we beat I can say we beat them with a third string QB. So going into the game I would have said QB vs. QB was a push. 11-19 for 50 yds 1 TD and 1 INT was better than whatever the hell WSU threw with 0 TD and 4 INT.

Doesn't change the reject part, however, :p

JALMOND
September 26th, 2006, 02:11 AM

I have not heard this. Do you have a link?

Last I heard, Smith was doubtful for the game. Sounds like we are still going to go with Freeman. Our hot shot running back (replacement for Rubin), a transfer from New Mexico State, is listed as probable. He got hurt in the spring game and has not played. Timetable for him was always the Montana game, tho.

JALMOND
September 26th, 2006, 02:15 AM

Most of the times, they are players who we recruited at first and they decided to try to play at the I-A level. Coach Walsh tells them that, if things don't work out, to consider us. Don Read did the same when he was at PSU. I'm sure he did the same at Montana.

RobsPics
September 26th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I have not heard this. Do you have a link?

Last I heard, Smith was doubtful for the game. Sounds like we are still going to go with Freeman. Our hot shot running back (replacement for Rubin), a transfer from New Mexico State, is listed as probable. He got hurt in the spring game and has not played. Timetable for him was always the Montana game, tho.

Here's the press release:
http://www.goviks.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=2382

:)

JALMOND
September 26th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Thanks, Rob. Glad to have you here. Means I can spend more time with the fiance, instead of tracking down clippings.

I doubt he will see any time against Montana. Like Walsh said, its like "taking a calculus test without a calculus book", and the job is still Smith's when he comes back. I know the Vikings are trying to keep Morales on redshirt status and don't want to play him. I, for one, would be very surprised if the new guy sees any action this season, let alone this weekend.

Rob, what's your take on this?

RobsPics
September 26th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Always good to keep the significant other on your schedule ;)

Yeah I think the best plan is to prep White for next season.

ncbears
September 26th, 2006, 07:59 AM
You've got the right three teams. I would feel better about dethroning Montana if PSU were closer to full strength. NAU will factor but must travel to Missoula.

I agree. I would for sure put PSU on top if they were healthy. Sawyer Smith is a very good qb and without him, I don't know if they'll contend. However, that defense is what might keep them around the top.

Ronbo
September 26th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Well gosh guys it's tough that we won't see Sawyer at Portland. But Montana has lost the Big Sky's best player in Lex Hilliard. We won't use that as an excuse if you don't use the loss of Sawyer as an excuse.:smiley_wi

RabidRabbit
September 26th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Amazing how an early season match up appears to be the main decision point for a Big Sky title.

Portland St. has the advantage of home, and tough prep games, and even a BSC win on the road. They'll need every advantage against the Griz. :D I hope that Portland St. takes advantage of this.

Griz will be likely be unbeaten by Big Sky at Missoula. So to not be the titlist in the Big Sky, the non-Missoula teams need to beat the Griz. I don't believe that the rest of the Big Sky have the horses to beat Griz. Only the Poly 'Stangs appear to be possible winners vs Griz at home, and they need to find an offense first.

Ronbo
September 26th, 2006, 09:02 AM
If Montana's defense comes out as excited and motivated as they did against Sac State PSU will be in for a long evening on offense. Can their Defense stop us when they might be on the field all night???

DaGriz
September 26th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Griz will be likely be unbeaten by Big Sky at Missoula. So to not be the titlist in the Big Sky, the non-Missoula teams need to beat the Griz. I don't believe that the rest of the Big Sky have the horses to beat Griz. Only the Poly 'Stangs appear to be possible winners vs Griz at home, and they need to find an offense first.

I'm more worried about ISU and PSU this year. I'm not sold on Cal Poly after their low scoring game with Sac State. I think they are in for a big payback. PSU makes me the most nervous.

DaGriz
September 26th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Always good to keep the significant other on your schedule ;)

Yeah I think the best plan is to prep White for next season.

Hey Robspics, did you take those pictures of Shula? What's the connection with Shula and PSU? Is he an alum or does he live there or coached there? Good pics.

RabidRabbit
September 26th, 2006, 10:40 AM
If Montana's defense comes out as excited and motivated as they did against Sac State PSU will be in for a long evening on offense. Can their Defense stop us when they might be on the field all night???

These are the key questions!!!

JALMOND
September 26th, 2006, 11:33 AM

The only game other than Cal that a team has scored a touchdown on us was against Weber (including I-A New Mexico). We'll be alright. It might end up being the first to score 21 points wins.

Don't underestimate the PGE Park mystique. The Vikings have not lost at home since the 2004 conference opener against EWU. That includes a win over Montana (2004).

GreenDay17
September 26th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Well gosh guys it's tough that we won't see Sawyer at Portland. But Montana has lost the Big Sky's best player in Lex Hilliard. We won't use that as an excuse if you don't use the loss of Sawyer as an excuse.:smiley_wi

No excuses at all. My point earlier was that I would feel better about PSU's beating UM if Sawyer and Ali were healthier. I imagine you would feel the same about UM if Lex were playing.

All that aside, I am still preparing for a Viking victory over the Grizzlies. It just won't be by as many points as it would be with a healthier QB and TB.

GrizFoo
September 26th, 2006, 01:17 PM
All I know is this will be a good game, and an interesting one. UM is on the road, so that is a plus for PSU. Both teams have a host of injuries, some more public than others. The Griz played without either of their preseason all-americans, Hilliard and Murphy, last week. I'd bet Murphy suits up but doesn't play against PSU. PSU has lost two QB's and a RB. But it is PSU's O and D lines that are what drives that bus, even though they have plenty of talent all over the place. Winning in football isn't about who would win if they were healthy, it is about who can overcome those injuries and win regardless of them.

I can't wait, it will be a good test for both teams

GreenDay17
September 26th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Bravo GrizFoo, Bravo:nod:

Tailbone
September 26th, 2006, 02:19 PM
....... of course montana is strong but i think this will be the year they are rdethroned. history tells us that the bigsky has always been wide open...so...let me know what you think

I think you're crazy. xidiotx

RobsPics
September 26th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Hey Robspics, did you take those pictures of Shula? What's the connection with Shula and PSU? Is he an alum or does he live there or coached there? Good pics.

Thanks.

Yes i took those pics of Shula.

He came to Portland because he is planning to expand his chain of restaurants "Shula's" here in Portland.

mtgrizfan4life
September 26th, 2006, 02:20 PM
41-10 Griz, I think the QB situation will really hurt them regarding turnovers and field position. I think with a healthy PSU team the score would be more like 28-24. I just do not see how it is possible for a new QB (white) to gell with WR's in one week? As for their 3rd team QB, the griz defense should confuse him and is too good for him to be very effective. He will be lucky to be Average at best. As good as Portlands D is supposed to be, I have a feeliing our ABC WR combo, along with Bradshaw/Green will be too much for them to contain. Our ABC WR trio is going to be a nightmare for every 1-AA team. All the griz fans going to portland, I wish you all a good time, please be safe and careful. Portland fans, if you see the Swogger we saw against Sac State, enjoy it. This guy's arm is unreal. He makes passes many QB's will not even attempt. Either way, I think both Portland and Montana will be in the Playoffs this year.

GreenDay17
September 26th, 2006, 02:25 PM
41-10 Griz, I think the QB situation will really hurt them regarding turnovers and field position. I think with a healthy PSU team the score would be more like 28-24. I just do not see how it is possible for a new QB (white) to gell with WR's in one week? As for their 3rd team QB, the griz defense should confuse him and is too good for him to be very effective. He will be lucky to be Average at best. As good as Portlands D is supposed to be, I have a feeliing our ABC WR combo, along with Bradshaw/Green will be too much for them to contain. Our ABC WR trio is going to be a nightmare for every 1-AA team. All the griz fans going to portland, I wish you all a good time, please be safe and careful. Portland fans, if you see the Swogger we saw against Sac State, enjoy it. This guy's arm is unreal. He makes passes many QB's will not even attempt. Either way, I think both Portland and Montana will be in the Playoffs this year.

You are right, Swogger's arm is strong. Very much like Sawyer's is. Either of them can throw it 50 yards on a tight line. Swogger does have the quicker release though.

Hope you are right about both PSU and UM being in the playoffs. I think both teams are very talented and could go deep into the playoffs. I really wish the playoffs were not so concerned with $ (although I understand why) and the first round of the playoffs could be east coast vs west coast so that fans on both ends could learn more about the others.

mtgrizfan4life
September 26th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I recently read if Smith tells the coaching staff he can go, he will. If that turns out to be the case, Smith will have some rust but will better Portlands chances. I think score would be more like the 28-24 Griz,maybe griz could get 35. I do thinks Smith's presence is huge for field position and turnovers. The Griz showed against Sac State what they can do with short fields.

putter
September 26th, 2006, 03:56 PM
You are right, Swogger's arm is strong. Very much like Sawyer's is. Either of them can throw it 50 yards on a tight line. Swogger does have the quicker release though.

Hope you are right about both PSU and UM being in the playoffs. I think both teams are very talented and could go deep into the playoffs. I really wish the playoffs were not so concerned with $ (although I understand why) and the first round of the playoffs could be east coast vs west coast so that fans on both ends could learn more about the others.

Honestly, I can't figure out why PSU doesn't have more support!? I realize you have OSU and Oregon but you have a nice stadium (hate the concrete that is turf) and the downtown location adds to the atmosphere. You should have no problem getting 6-12+K at every game, expecially with the quality of teams you have had the last couple of years.

I Bleed Purple
September 26th, 2006, 04:20 PM
41-10?

I don't think Montana's defense is better than WSU's, so I don't think PSU is worried about Montana's D. PSU's offense is smart, and don't turn the ball over.

PSU's defense is good, especially up front. It's going to be hard for Montana to open holes.

I'm taking PSU to win.

eagle1
September 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I am also going with the Vikings in this one. PSU's defense is the best in the Big Sky and if they play ball control offense they will limit the time that the Griz are on the field. I think that the Vikes win this won 21-10. Go Eagles!!!

mtgrizfan4life
September 26th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Honestly how is Portland going to score many points with their QB situation? Even with Smith being healthy chances are there will be some rust. PSU may try running the ball, good luck, IOWA even struggled to establish a running game against MT. Indicators so far are that Montana's offense and defense are both for real. Our offense is much better than last year, and we have more weapons this year than any over the last several years. Anyone that has not seen Montana play, ask SDSU and Sac State if Montana's offense and defense are for real or not? Granted PSU is much better than those 2 teams. If PSU shuts down our offense, I will be the 1st to give the D kudos. Defensively the difference will be depth, the griz rotate 20-25 players under normal circumstances, and there is not any dropoff whatsoever. I have seen Big Ten, PAC 10, and Big 12 teams live. This year's Montana team compares very favorably to a midlevel team in those conferences and appear to be a TOP 50 team. Montana's performance against Sac State sold me on every aspect of Montana this year. The Griz are a few notches above where they normally are this year. As for mistakes, those will be minimal both Swogger and Berquist protect the ball well and run the team well. Sorry PSU, but this year is the year of the GRIZ. If by chance, PSU wins it will take your best game in all aspects. I will be sold on any team that can beat the GRIZ this year, well except the Bobcats, lol. May both teams have no injuries, and good luck to both rest of the year. I will be surprised if both are not in the playoffs this year.

nevadagriz
September 26th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Wow I don't know much about the Psu defense but you other big sky fans really think they are the best! Starter for starter they may be but Montana goes almost 3 deep at every position without much drop off.
Give me some names of PSU defenders so I know who to watch, this is going to be a great game. Sorry Psu fans I did not pay attention to your D just thought you had a damn good O!
Go Griz and Go vikes should be a good one.

Ronbo
September 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Wow I don't know much about the Psu defense but you other big sky fans really think they are the best! Starter for starter they may be but Montana goes almost 3 deep at every position without much drop off.
Give me some names of PSU defenders so I know who to watch, this is going to be a great game. Sorry Psu fans I did not pay attention to your D just thought you had a damn good O!
Go Griz and Go vikes should be a good one.

Let's look at the facts.

Cal puts up 42 on you in the 1st half then experiments with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers in the 2nd half.

From Cal's website.

"Cal's defense knocked two of the Division I-AA Vikings' quarterbacks out of the game with injuries on crushing hits in the first quarter. The schools played a scoreless second half while Cal tinkered with its offense and used nearly every player in uniform.

Cameron Morrah also caught a TD pass for the Bears, while Lynch, Justin Forsett and Marcus O'Keith all rushed for scores as they racked up 375 total yards by halftime. Their 42 points were the fourth-most in a half in school history."

WOW!!! 375 yards in the first half! And 42 points! LOLxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx