PDA

View Full Version : PVA&M Game Suspended Due to Weather

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Down 28-7 with 4:01 remaining in the third, the nasty weather that took over Texas (leading to long delays at Div I games in Austin, College Station and Nacogdoches) has the Panthers of Prairie View A&M working with the folks over at Langston to determine how to handle this situation.

How do you think this should be handled? Should the came be resumed? Should PVA&M just call the game and take the loss? Should the game never count?

If it does count, it'd be the second loss on the week for a SWAC team to a sub-Div I foe...Southern, a team that was knocked off by PVA&M last week, fell to Div II North Carolina Central...
============
Storm halts Prairie View, Langston after half

By BRANDON C. WILLIAMS
For The Chronicle

PRAIRIE VIEW - Coming off one of its biggest wins in the past few decades, Prairie View A&M is getting to enjoy it for a little longer.

And it hasn't lost Saturday night's game at Blackshear Field just yet.

The Panthers were trailing NAIA school Langston 28-7 when the game was suspended with 4:01 left in the third quarter due to lightning and a hard downpour that sent the crowd of 2,300 scurrying to shelter.

The game also was delayed at halftime due to lightning. School officials plan to meet in the next few days to decide whether to finish or call the game.

Kendrick Dozier threw two touchdown passes and ran for a third in helping the Lions build a 28-7 lead.

"We came out flat," said Panthers coach Henry Frazier III. "We weren't the same team that I saw the first three weeks of the season, and it showed."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4210201.html
===========
Lightning halts Prairie View-Langston game

PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas (AP) -Prairie View A&M and Langston will decide next week whether to resume Saturday's game after severe weather forced officials to suspend play.

Langston was beating Prairie View 28-7 with 4:01 remaining in the third quarter when the game was halted for a second time because of lightning.

Athletic directors from both schools will likely meet early next week to decide whether to finish or call the game, Prairie View spokesman Stefan Robinson said.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2006, 07:55 AM
The easiest thing would be to declare it a Langston win. Does anyone know the rules for this, Are they set by the NCAA, or by each conference?

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2006, 07:57 AM
The easiest thing would be to declare it a Langston win. Does anyone know the rules for this, Are they set by the NCAA, or by each conference?

Question is what constitutes an official game? We all know baseball is five innings. I think that's the most well known one in sports, but what about football?

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Any word on this game? Considering this game does not impact the SWAC standings, I-AA playoffs (as PVA&M would not qualify) and over a half was played, I don't see why the game can't be called official...

No updates seen anywhere yet to my knowledge...

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Here's an update from the Chronicle which mentions RESUMING (?!?!?) the game in November or December...man, if I was a senior and that was my last game, knowing I was getting beat pretty soundly by an NAIA, I wouldn't want to come back to it...of course, PVA&M has shown they can come back, but they didn't deserve to win this game, especially since they were still partying from the Southern win...
=============
Unfinished business
Prairie View A&M athletic director Charles McClelland will meet with Langston AD Al Chandler at some point over the next four to five days to determine whether the Panthers and Lions will resume play of last Saturday's game, which was suspended by lightning with 4:01 left in the third quarter and Langston ahead 28-7.

Play will resume in late November or early December, or the game will be ruled a no contest. The Panthers' season finale against Alabama A&M is scheduled for Nov. 18; Langston will conclude its regular season Nov. 11.

With Prairie View coming off an upset of Southern, coach Henry Frazier expressed concern over whether his team was prepared for the Lions.

"I was a little disappointed," Frazier said. "I guess the encouraging thing for me is that the players took ownership, and that's always a good thing. That's one of the signs of turning the corner. There has been times here in the past where we would lose and they would say, 'Oh, well. Move on.' But this time, they're really carrying it with them. They care."

It appears unlikely the teams will resume play. The teams do not share a weekend off, and the result of the contest won't impact either program's postseason hopes. Logistically, it would seem far more trouble than it's worth for the Lions to make the 460-mile trip from Oklahoma to finish the game against Prairie View.

"I definitely want to finish the game," Frazier said. "We prepared to play 11 games and we want to play every game, and I'll just leave that up to the administration. Right now we're behind, and that leaves a nasty taste in our mouths. We'd like to rectify that."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/4217365.html

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2006, 08:00 AM
31.9.5.3 Contest in Progress. If a forfeit is declared while a contest is in progress or a situation occurs that forces a premature end to the contest, all statistics (other than won-lost and coach’s records) are voided unless the contest has progressed to a “reasonable point of conclusion” (e.g., three quarters in football and lacrosse, 30 minutes in basketball and five innings in baseball and softball and two periods in ice hockey; for volleyball, all completed games in a match shall count, as well as a partial game if the team ahead has scored at least 10 points), in which case all statistics shall count and shall be reflected in all records. The team’s won-lost record shall include the forfeit, but if the statistics are voided, all averages in future rankings shall be computed without inclusion of the forfeited contests.

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Another update...seems PVA&M is waiting to see how well Langston does this year and if they're going to the NAIA playoffs...

Up in the air
Prairie View A&M athletic director Charles McClelland and Langston officials have yet to reach a resolution regarding the suspended game the teams played last month. The Panthers trailed Langston 28-7 in the third quarter when bad weather forced the suspension of their Sept. 23 non-conference game at Prairie View.

"We're discussing it right now," McClelland said. "The only available date (for resumption of play) is going to be around Thanksgiving. We're still working."

Langston is sorting through its options should it qualify for the NAIA playoffs. The Lions close their regular season on Nov. 11, one week before the Panthers (2-2, 1-2 SWAC) complete their schedule against Alabama A&M. If the Lions reach the postseason, the resumption of their game at Prairie View likely would be canceled. Prairie View would prefer to resume play, but McClelland said that if the Panthers fail to reach the SWAC title game, he won't ask players to wait for completion of Langston's potential playoff run to finish the game.

"It's our home game, and we want to finish it," McClelland said. "From their standpoint, it's a wait-and-see. We would like to have this thing done as quickly as possible."

McClelland is hopeful a decision will be made by the close of this month.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/4234438.html

walliver
October 4th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I've only seen one game shortened due to weather. Wofford was leading (and pulling away from) Lenoir-Rhine when lightening started midway through the fourth quarter when the referees called the game. It counted as a full game. The difference from the PVA&M game, i guess, is that three quarters had been completed.