PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference Evaluation

BEAR
September 16th, 2013, 04:20 PM
What say you about your team?

Let's look at how the teams have done with the understanding that even though we can't all attend each and every game, we can get an understanding of how a team "looks" from their fans. I'll start with:

UCA

1. Incarnate Word: Easily Handled Incarnate Word. As expected many freshman and backups played. Offense was solid so was the defense. But the level of talent at IW right now is not up to par for the SLC.
Conclusion: Can't judge the team after that game.

2. Colorado: FBS matchup. Leading by 7 with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter and driving to the Buffs red zone, a short pass slips through the UCA receivers hands and is intercepted for a pick 6 and the wheels fall off. Even so, with 4 minutes left the Bears drive to the Buffs endzone and the game ends there. Some critical defensive injuries.
Conclusion: UCA basically drove at will on the Buffs but the defense couldn't stop a VERY talented WR named P.Rich who has been averaging over 200 yards receiving per game even against FBS foes. As with any FCS vs. FBS matchup, depth (and altitude) played a huge role in the Bears getting winded. It looked positive but hard to tell against FBS talent.

3. UT-Martin: Bears finally score in 3rd quarter. Defense was firm to solid. Bears in fourth start moving the ball at will until some confusion with the offense creates turnovers. Pass receptions look like too much effort was put into them just to catch them. UT-Martin still looked fresh and fast. Toward the end the Bears come to life again and attempt a game winning field goal that is blocked.
Conclusion: Bears are out of sync on offense and defense does all they can to sustain the team until the offense gets it together. Sadly in the Colorado and UT-Martin games the offense got started WAAAY too late.

Biggest problem: Offensive output and a few defensive breakdowns. But even the defensive breakdowns can be nullified by an offense that starts scoring quicker.

What to expect: Coach Conque's teams have always been known to score points. What is needed is to score them earlier in the game as the Bears have for years been known to be late starters. Coach will now most likely game plan to make that happen. Defense will work on pass defense and all should be straightened out by the McNeese game IMO.

Let's hear your opinion about your team's first three games.

LH Cardinal Mom
September 16th, 2013, 07:09 PM
UIW

1. UCA - ugh
As was the case a big part of last season, our defense had to spend way too much time on the field. They gave the offense chances, to have the O not finish. Unlike last year, our defense was not able to keep us in the game. It was a butt-kicking of epic proportions.

2. Texas College
A MUCH improved offensive game & defense was great. We had our first shut out in the young 5-year history, which gave both sides a lot of confidence. Offense actually took advantage of the opportunities given to them & scored...many times.

3. Langston University
We took a step back in the kicking game, missing a PAT and a couple of FG's. The good news was that we had our 2nd shut out. And for the first time in football history, are 2-1.

Overall, I am pleased so far with our performances. Our offense has gained confidence in themselves & the defense feels like their performance has meant something instead of going to waste. It's my son's last season on the field, so I'll be at every game, loud & proud, win or lose.

And, you are correct. Our level is not up to par with SLC. I wish we had remained in LSC until we could become competitive there before taking the leap up. But they didn't ask me. :D And it is more about the overall athletic AND academic opportunities, rather than just football. (I know...call me crazy!)

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 11:20 AM
C'mon SLC fans! Lets hear it!

Sammy94
September 17th, 2013, 12:12 PM
SHSU

1. HBU - Not much to talk about in this one, most FCS teams would have beat this team. Come to think about it most DII schools could also.

2. Texas A&M - Impressed with what I saw, our young OL held their own against the best DL they will face all year. The offense is starting to gel but concerned with our receivers and dropped balls. Defense played well against the run and contained Johnny so his legs wouldn't beat us but his arm did. The secondary was beat quite a few times but so was Alabama's. Game was close until mid 3rd quarter and we came away with no injuries and a big check.

3. TSU - Started off sluggish on the offensive side, granted it was 113 on the field but still very concerned about the drop ball syndrome. Defense showed up and could be one of the best Sam has had in years. The first unit held TSU to minus 21 yards rushing and 23 yards passing in the first half and created numerous turnovers.

Biggest problem: Dropped passes.

What to expect: If we start remembering how to catch a football, this offense should roll past last year's mark of 600 + points easily. I look for this team to easily compete for its 3rd straight SLC title.

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Way to go! It looks like from what I've read so far that a few SLC teams have kinks to work out and if they do it could be 3 teams in the playoffs! But we'll see!

Sam_Kats
September 17th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Hard to tell when all but one non-conference opponents were either WAY under our level of play (HBU, Tx So & presumably UIW) or WAY over our level of play (#6 Texas A&M who just took #1 Bama to the final seconds). #2 EWU will be the test.

I think defense is going to be much better than expected with all the talent leaving last yr in the secondary. Front 6 (4-2-5 scheme) could be SCARY good. If so, offense will again score points & another run COULD be in store.

McNeese72
September 17th, 2013, 12:54 PM
C'mon SLC fans! Lets hear it!

No use going into detail. The first two teams we played sucked and then we almost get beat by a Div 2 team. We suck, don't worry about us.

Doc

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Do all you McNeese fans have to have a number in your username?
Also, why does McNeese suck so bad? I mean, that's all I hear from your fans. So it must be true. xlolx

Nickels
September 17th, 2013, 12:58 PM
We suck, don't worry about us.
We're not, if a D2 puts 42 on the Cowboys I cant imagine what the best offense in the FCS is going to do.

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Still haven't heard from IWU, Nicholls, Northwestern State, SELA to name a few.

xeyebrowx

FormerPokeCenter
September 17th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I think it's a combination of coaching and talent...and, we don't have much of either...

Nickels
September 17th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Still haven't heard from IWU, Nicholls, Northwestern State, SELA to name a few.

xeyebrowxLH Cardinal Mom is an IWU fan. We haven't heard from a Lamar, I would know because I would be laughing right now.

I know, too many cardinals these days.

RabidRabbit
September 17th, 2013, 01:03 PM
No use going into detail. The first two teams we played sucked and then we almost get beat by a Div 2 team. We suck, don't worry about us.

Doc

Doc's been sandbagging for years. Has it down to an art form.xbowx

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 01:20 PM
LH Cardinal Mom is an IWU fan. We haven't heard from a Lamar, I would know because I would be laughing right now.

I know, too many cardinals these days.

Oh frick.... I knew that.. but you are right.. lots of purple teams and more birds than can live in a bush...

McNeese72
September 17th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Do all you McNeese fans have to have a number in your username?
Also, why does McNeese suck so bad? I mean, that's all I hear from your fans. So it must be true. xlolx

Well, I'm an alumnus and an old fart. And 72 comes from 1972 and you can probably connect the dots from there. By the way, I'll be driving up Friday for the UCA game and staying in Conway this time.

Doc

Doc

McNeese72
September 17th, 2013, 01:29 PM
We're not, if a D2 puts 42 on the Cowboys I cant imagine what the best offense in the FCS is going to do.

Yep, we have no chance against the more talented Bearkat team. The Div 2 team exposed how slow our team speed is.

Doc

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Well, I'm an alumnus and an old fart. And 72 comes from 1972 and you can probably connect the dots from there. By the way, I'll be driving up Friday for the UCA game and staying in Conway this time.

Doc

Doc

Some of the hotels along the I40 in Conway are nice and fairly new. But watch out for the I40 construction from Little Rock to Conway. HORRIBLE. I hate my daily drive. it shouldn't take over an hour to get from Conway to North Little Rock... 25 minutes at the MOST. Put on your best defensive driving skills my Cowboy friends... xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
September 17th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I'll be pedalling my ass off in Atlanta when the Bears and Cowboys square off....I'll be at Estes Stadium in spirit, though....

If I get another $100 in UCA donations (and a shirt!) I'll wear the shirt for a portion of the ride!

Between that field and UCA's athleticism, I just hope we can keep it respectable...

lionsrking2
September 17th, 2013, 02:31 PM
SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

SE Missouri - We dominated SEMO from start to finish winning 45-7 ... could have scored a couple of more times but pulled the plug ... my guess is the Redhawks are in for another tough year though they did hang with Ole Miss, 31-13.

TCU - Played toe-to-toe physically with the most athletic and physical team we'll see all year, and were within 17-14 in the third quarter ... turned the ball over a couple of times and missed a chance for an easy TD, and they pulled away, 38-17 ... we did rush for 207 yards and they played their starters for just about the entire game ... game was more competitive than the final score.

South Dakota State - Dominated the game statistically and controlled both lines of scrimmage just about the entire game ... we led 19-7 in the third quarter, with chances to be up more, but 12 penalties and six turnovers did us in ... credit SDSU for hanging in there and making us pay for mistakes ... they're a very good football team, with good character and it showed up late in the game.

We're right where a lot of folks thought we would be after three games, though we should be 2-1, with an outside shot at 3-0 had some favorable breaks went our way. We'll be tough to beat if we don't beat ourselves.

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I like that post Lionsrking2! Kinda gives me a perspective on how your team is playing apart from just the score for the game.

Any team that hangs with Ole Miss but has trouble with SELA is confusing as .... well.

Yeah, the scores don't tell the whole story most times. SELA seems to be a wild card... a strong one at that! I'm impressed even with the losses... more than I was last year. That qb is really helping that talent.

It's gonna be a long year in the SLC. I wonder if parity in the league will keep some teams out of the playoffs or will the top teams somehow set themselves apart. We'll see!

Catatonic
September 17th, 2013, 02:58 PM
ACU

1. Concordia. Horrible mismatch but did allow new QB to work on timing and gain much needed game experience. OL looked much improved over last year. D Line was impressive. Freshmen kicker and punter did a good job. Too many penalties. WR Hogg is a playmaker.
2. McMurry. Another very solid outing for our QB. Shack West may break single season records held by Darrell Richardson (Rams ) and Bernard Scott (Bengals). Another solid performance by the D. Special teams, a fumble on a kick off return gave McMurry a TD.
3. NM Highlands. Hurry up offense caught D off guard.Made nice adjustments. WR Gabriel had a great game after being slowed by injury in the first game. OL allows too many sacks. 9 penalties will hurt us when we play better competition.

Overall, three tune up games have answered some of the questions going into the season--kicking? good. QB play? JD Baker does not have a rocket arm but does what he does with poise and shows leadership on the field. LB and OL have improved from last year. Unanswered...we have some FCS talent. Whether we have the depth to compete remains to be seen.

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 03:00 PM
If you have Ken then you have one valuable piece to winning already! What a great guy and a serious coaching talent! Thanks for the review of your team! Helps us fans understand them better.

msupokes1
September 17th, 2013, 03:01 PM
USF- We dominated both lines of scrimmage. We moved the ball up and down the field at will. Defensively we looked solid except for two broken plays. South Florida was terrible though.

UAPB- Again a couple of broken plays and then the defense settle in and gave up nothing to UAPB. Offense did not skip a beat. I think I read something that said between the 1st and second game we scored on something like 15 of 19 possessions.

UWA. By far the best team we played. I honestly feel like that might be the best offense we play all year. Their quarterback was as close to Johnny Football as I have seen. Offense looked good. They were only a D2 school though.

Now that we have gone through the cupcake part of our schedule I am not sure we will win another game. As stated by Nickels, they should look right past us. I think our coaches recruit from the flag football field here in town because we sure cant tackle. I think next year our AD should schedule D3 schools as our out of conference games. Then maybe we can look halfway decent.

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 03:03 PM
msupokes1, let me guess, you graduated from MSU in 2001. xlolx

msupokes1
September 17th, 2013, 03:12 PM
No I actually graduated in 2004. When I created my account on Geauxcowboys we were #1 in the country.

Catatonic
September 17th, 2013, 03:15 PM
USF- We dominated both lines of scrimmage. We moved the ball up and down the field at will. Defensively we looked solid except for two broken plays. South Florida was terrible though.

UAPB- Again a couple of broken plays and then the defense settle in and gave up nothing to UAPB. Offense did not skip a beat. I think I read something that said between the 1st and second game we scored on something like 15 of 19 possessions.

UWA. By far the best team we played. I honestly feel like that might be the best offense we play all year. Their quarterback was as close to Johnny Football as I have seen. Offense looked good. They were only a D2 school though.

Now that we have gone through the cupcake part of our schedule I am not sure we will win another game. As stated by Nickels, they should look right past us. I think our coaches recruit from the flag football field here in town because we sure cant tackle. I think next year our AD should schedule D3 schools as our out of conference games. Then maybe we can look halfway decent.

The difference between D2 talent and FCS talent is not as great as many believe it to be. Due to NCAA rules that are tighter for D1 schools, D2 programs sometimes wind up with top level talent because a player can't meet standards or would not be eligible to play immediately. For example, JC transfers to D2 schools don't need to complete AA degrees to transfer to D2 schools. The advantage FCS schools have is in depth of talent. Double the number of scholarship players makes a difference.

I can tell you from our experience playing them last year, West Alabama is a very good team. I am dreading our upcoming game against D2 Pittsburg state more than our match up with FBS New Mexico State.

msupokes1
September 17th, 2013, 03:28 PM
The difference between D2 talent and FCS talent is not as great as many believe it to be. Due to NCAA rules that are tighter for D1 schools, D2 programs sometimes wind up with top level talent because a player can't meet standards or would not be eligible to play immediately. For example, JC transfers to D2 schools don't need to complete AA degrees to transfer to D2 schools. The advantage FCS schools have is in depth of talent. Double the number of scholarship players makes a difference.

I can tell you from our experience playing them last year, West Alabama is a very good team. I am dreading our upcoming game against D2 Pittsburg state more than our match up with FBS New Mexico State.

I was being sarcastic. Most fans see a D2 school and automaticly assume an easy win. I have watched a lot of FCS football. That West Alabama team the other night was the real deal. I am not saying this makes McNeese a great team. We maybe terrible in the end, I don't know. I do however believe that the team the other night would beat a lot of teams in the Southland Conference. That quarterback was unreal. I made the comment that I am glad he plays for them and not Sam Houston or UCA. His offense was great. They had other weapons too. There running back is listed on the Senior Bowl watch list. Not even Flanders is on that list. Flanders has torn us up the last several years and he might do it again this year (who knows) but I was not nearly as impressed with Flanders as I was with this guy. Coach Viator has built our team on speed. We had no speed compared to these guys.

McNeese72
September 17th, 2013, 03:36 PM

At least, schedule non-playoff division 2 teams. You failed to mention that both USF and UAPB both sucked. I don't know if USF will win a single game this year.

Doc

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 03:41 PM
At least, schedule non-playoff division 2 teams. You failed to mention that both USF and UAPB both sucked. I don't know if USF will win a single game this year.

Doc

So what you're saying is USF and UAPB suck? Did I understand that right? Or am I making quick judgments? they suck you say....

msupokes1
September 17th, 2013, 03:44 PM
So what you're saying is USF and UAPB suck? Did I understand that right? Or am I making quick judgments? they suck you say....

They sucked. Actually, looking at our schedule it looks like everyone sucks except for Sam Houston. Why do we even waste money to play this game anymore? I think the school needs to look into that.

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 03:52 PM
They sucked. Actually, looking at our schedule it looks like everyone sucks except for Sam Houston. Why do we even waste money to play this game anymore? I think the school needs to look into that.

That's true. The only way we could beat them is get them to Estes... and even then we cheated. Same thing with McNeese, except there. Well, the piper has come and all the suck teams are now sucking. xlolx

Sam_Kats
September 17th, 2013, 04:36 PM
This sucks

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 04:55 PM
http://www.rabbitroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ne-sucks.jpg

Sammy94
September 17th, 2013, 04:58 PM
The ones that truly suck are the ones not posting!!! Lamar, SFA, etc......

LH Cardinal Mom
September 17th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Still haven't heard from IWU, .

xeyebrowx
You heard from me...but we call it UIW. (I thought maybe the "ugh" & "UCA" would've given it away. xcoolx)

BEAR
September 17th, 2013, 07:12 PM
You heard from me...but we call it UIW. (I thought maybe the "ugh" & "UCA" would've given it away. xcoolx)

Yeah, I mistyped that when I said UIW and meant Lamar... you darn Cardinals! Read the posts after that and you'll see I claimed my mistake. xlolx

Nickels
September 17th, 2013, 07:42 PM
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2175/hm9v.jpg
http://katfans.com/forum/index.php?topic=9598.0 (http://katfans.com/forum/index.php?topic=9598.0)

Nickels
September 17th, 2013, 07:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VWN-4KLXoSY
C'MON McNeese, WA wasn't look that good to me xcoffeex.

LH Cardinal Mom
September 17th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I mistyped that when I said UIW and meant Lamar... you darn Cardinals! Read the posts after that and you'll see I claimed my mistake. xlolx
I did, but not until I posted. At least you got the letters right, unlike the SLC officials when we played you. ICW...really??? I guess we need to change it to In Carnate Word. xlmaox

msupokes1
September 17th, 2013, 08:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VWN-4KLXoSY
C'MON McNeese, WA wasn't look that good to me xcoffeex.

That is McNeese highlights. That does not show any of UWA highlights. Second, your Flanders tracker is wrong. Henry Fields played for McNeese not UCA.

Nickels
September 17th, 2013, 08:42 PM
That is McNeese highlights. That does not show any of UWA highlights. Second, your Flanders tracker is wrong. Henry Fields played for McNeese not UCA.
So those were McNeese players in the red and white jerseys scoring touchdowns?

It's not mine but it will be irrelevant what school he went to in 2 weeks anyway.

McNeese75
September 17th, 2013, 09:25 PM
So those were McNeese players in the red and white jerseys scoring touchdowns?

It's not mine but it will be irrelevant what school he went to in 2 weeks anyway.

xcoffeex

TheRevSFA
September 17th, 2013, 10:24 PM
SFA, loss to weber after falling behind early.
destroyed by texh
beat mcmrry

minden looks good as a QB, if we can get rid of attaway.
need to run more with Gus.
Defense took a huge hit losing Jefferson and Aubrey

gobears14
September 17th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Smothers doesn't seem to be as sharp as last year so far. Had some INTs that weren't his fault though and doesn't have Croom and Grandy to help him, but i think he'll settle in. Our running game needs to get it together too. Hate that we have so many injuries on defense too...but all things considered losing by 1 on the road and playing an FBS team close with us not playing our best yet isn't that bad

BEAR
September 18th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Team injury report for UCA: This doesn't look good. xbangx I knew the injuries at Colorado were bad but add a few against UT Martin... xsmhx

"Linebacker Aum’Arie Wallace sustained season-ending shoulder injury against Colorado. Starting cornerback Dominque Brown is lost for the season with a leg injury. His backup, Dillon Winfrey, sustained a leg injury against UT-Martin and is out indefinitely. Both place-kickers have nagging injuries and Conque said some other injured players are being evaluated through the week."

"A spirited UCA comeback fell short when Eddie Carmona’s (It's CAMARA, NOT CARMONA... geez) 42-yard field goal attempt for the win was blocked on the last play of the game. Carmona had not kicked in two weeks because of a groin injury, but Conque said he had no choice but to give him the final try because Jace Denker, the substitute kicker, had injured a leg earlier."

McNeese72
September 18th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Team injury report for UCA: This doesn't look good. xbangx I knew the injuries at Colorado were bad but add a few against UT Martin... xsmhx

"Linebacker Aum’Arie Wallace sustained season-ending shoulder injury against Colorado. Starting cornerback Dominque Brown is lost for the season with a leg injury. His backup, Dillon Winfrey, sustained a leg injury against UT-Martin and is out indefinitely. Both place-kickers have nagging injuries and Conque said some other injured players are being evaluated through the week."

"A spirited UCA comeback fell short when Eddie Carmona’s (It's CAMARA, NOT CARMONA... geez) 42-yard field goal attempt for the win was blocked on the last play of the game. Carmona had not kicked in two weeks because of a groin injury, but Conque said he had no choice but to give him the final try because Jace Denker, the substitute kicker, had injured a leg earlier."

Welcome to our 2012 and 2011 seasons! :(

So far we've dodge some of those season ending injuries (still waiting for word on a WR's xray of his foot). They started in the 3rd game last season. Knock on wood.

Doc

msupokes1
September 18th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Doc-

I was told by the coaches and some of the players that the receiver should be fine. They say it was just a bruise. If I heard them correctly, he will be playing this weekend. As far as I am aware, everyone who started the season will be playing this weekend. I know it can change in a hurry but it sure is nice to have every player play every game so far. Seems like the changes to conditioning, practices, shoes, and whatever other changes were made are paying off.

Sam_Kats
September 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Boy, talk about the ball bouncing your way...TWICE! Great comeback for McNeese.

McNeese72
September 18th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Doc-

I was told by the coaches and some of the players that the receiver should be fine. They say it was just a bruise. If I heard them correctly, he will be playing this weekend. As far as I am aware, everyone who started the season will be playing this weekend. I know it can change in a hurry but it sure is nice to have every player play every game so far. Seems like the changes to conditioning, practices, shoes, and whatever other changes were made are paying off.

Heard any ruling on the Dobbs appeal to the NCAA?

Doc

BEAR
September 18th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Well, as a Bear fan I'm not writing off the season already....but as a realist those injuries sure do hurt much of a chance of winning the SLC or making the playoffs. I called it last game against Colorado...only thing left to do is enjoy the tailgates.. Ugh...

BEAR
September 19th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Any changes to report SLC fans?

McNeese72
September 19th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Any changes to report SLC fans?

Nope, we still haven't played anybody yet.

Doc

BEAR
September 19th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Nope, we still haven't played anybody yet.

Doc

Nice. I meant any team news like players suspended, coaches caught with cheerleaders, injuries etc... but that'll work too. xlolx

McNeese75
September 19th, 2013, 07:23 PM
How about rumors of a certain coach going to culinary school for nutrition education? :)

BEAR
September 19th, 2013, 08:40 PM
How about rumors of a certain coach going to culinary school for nutrition education? :)

Bazinga!

katstrapper
September 21st, 2013, 10:08 AM
SHSU

1. HBU - Not much to talk about in this one, most FCS teams would have beat this team. Come to think about it most DII schools could also.

2. Texas A&M - Impressed with what I saw, our young OL held their own against the best DL they will face all year. The offense is starting to gel but concerned with our receivers and dropped balls. Defense played well against the run and contained Johnny so his legs wouldn't beat us but his arm did. The secondary was beat quite a few times but so was Alabama's. Game was close until mid 3rd quarter and we came away with no injuries and a big check.

3. TSU - Started off sluggish on the offensive side, granted it was 113 on the field but still very concerned about the drop ball syndrome. Defense showed up and could be one of the best Sam has had in years. The first unit held TSU to minus 21 yards rushing and 23 yards passing in the first half and created numerous turnovers.

Biggest problem: Dropped passes.

What to expect: If we start remembering how to catch a football, this offense should roll past last year's mark of 600 + points easily. I look for this team to easily compete for its 3rd straight SLC title.

Yes its hard to get a complete evaluation on team until next week and beyond,but this team is good and its young. Plenty of freshman in the two deep that could start. I think this team is headed for another long winning streak.

gobears14
September 21st, 2013, 12:30 PM
All-SLC LB Justin Heard suspended indefitinely for the bears for violation of team/NCAA rules. Great.

fmrbearkat
September 21st, 2013, 12:34 PM
All-SLC LB Justin Heard suspended indefitinely for the bears for violation of team/NCAA rules. Great.

I fully expected UCA to make a run in the playoffs this year but with all the injuries and that suspension of a big time player it's gonna be hard to out score everybody. Nothing harder than knowing you have a team that could be damn good but it just doesn't quite come together! Hoping y'all make it through conference and our game with y'all ends up being as big as it looked like it would be at the start of the season.

pokefan02
September 21st, 2013, 01:59 PM
I have heard rumors of McNeese getting two RB's back in the next few weeks. this will be a big boost for the offense

BEAR
September 21st, 2013, 02:46 PM
Well i said to bearkat fans the game at the end of the year will be for all the marbles or meaningless. Losing those players for whatever reason now reassures me of one thing....... Chances are VERY slim to none now. Good luck SLC. Grrrrrr

pokefan02
September 21st, 2013, 02:55 PM
No game in the SLC is meaningless this year. Any Given Saturday

LH Cardinal Mom
September 22nd, 2013, 06:59 AM
Yes its hard to get a complete evaluation on team until next week and beyond,but this team is good and its young. Plenty of freshman in the two deep that could start. I think this team is headed for another long winning streak.
Congrats on yesterday's win. How would you evaluate them today?

katstrapper
September 22nd, 2013, 07:40 AM
Congrats on yesterday's win. How would you evaluate them today?

After being at game last night i will say this.....

UIW is improved. Kennan has that program on the right track. The freshman QB is a gamer. He should should be good in years to come.
Cardinals came to play last night.

That being said...

- when Kat O gets on track, they can score at will and at any time. One minute it was 14-10 UIW then before you know it the score was 45-14.

- My concern still remains in the receiving corp. Still too many dropped passes.

- Tim Flanders is a beast.

- Kat D still has some work to do in pass coverage, but i think as season rolls along the secondary will be fine. Kats are plenty talented in this group, but they need to continue to improve.

Kats will get a true test next Saturday when EWU comes to town. I think this team will be ready!

Catatonic
September 22nd, 2013, 07:59 AM
After dropping a 31-17 game to Illinois State, I would say ACU has to get bigger, stronger and deeper to be successful at the FCS level.

UCABEARS75
September 22nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
No game in the SLC is meaningless this year. Any Given Saturday

Agree fully.

Going into conference play here is my ranking:

SE Louisiana
SHSU
McNeese
SFA
UCA
NW State
Lamar
Nicholl St

SU DOG
September 22nd, 2013, 11:32 AM
Agree fully.

SE Louisiana
SHSU
McNeese
SFA
UCA
NW State
Lamar
Nicholl St

I certainly don't claim to know much about the Southland, but I have seen a few games. I am convinced that SLU, however, is #1 or #2. After yesterday, I do know that this Lions Team is NOT just about Bennett. They are well coached, and I can't really point to a weakness(unless it is Bennett's decision making). Granted, we very generously gave them some nice gifts, primarily with dropped passes, but just like SDSU fans said on here - they are for REAL. I will vote them in my top 20 later today.

Samalum'10
September 22nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Agree fully.

SE Louisiana
SHSU
McNeese
SFA
UCA
NW State
Lamar
Nicholl St
Swap #1 and #2 and i'll buy it

UCABEARS75
September 22nd, 2013, 02:37 PM
Swap #1 and #2 and i'll buy it

LOL, I knew that would get some Sammie attention.

It's going to be an interesting year starting soon!

lionsrking2
September 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
I don't know where we should be ranked, but if we can get some things cleaned up, we'll be tough to beat. After Bryan Bennett went down early with a sprained knee, we pretty much went straight vanilla against a very good Samford front 7, and still ran it almost at will, rushing for over 300 yards again ... our offensive line was outstanding. We were up 34-14, with a chance to go up 41-14 in the 4th quarter, but fumbled a shotgun snap ... they hit some big plays and got back in it, but to get a road win over what I think is a very good Samford team - with our backup QB going almost the entire way ... I think we're ready for SLC play.

FormerPokeCenter
September 22nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
West Alabama is the best team we've played so far...However, we're about to get a reality check in the UNIDome...

We had some piss poor tackling...some missed assignments and some pretty sloppy discipline...

Fortunately, we were just a lot faster than Weber State...

If we do any ONE of those three things against UNI, we're screwed...

I'll know whether or not we're ready for SLC play after this week...

Right now? After struggling to put away a D-II and making the sort of mistakes we made against Weber?

We're not ready for prime time just yet....

Sam_Kats
September 22nd, 2013, 04:43 PM
We'll see after this weekend whether the Kats are a contender again this year.

SU DOG
September 22nd, 2013, 05:11 PM
I don't know where we should be ranked, but if we can get some things cleaned up, we'll be tough to beat. After Bryan Bennett went down early with a sprained knee, we pretty much went straight vanilla against a very good Samford front 7, and still ran it almost at will, rushing for over 300 yards again ... our offensive line was outstanding. We were up 34-14, with a chance to go up 41-14 in the 4th quarter, but fumbled a shotgun snap ... they hit some big plays and got back in it, but to get a road win over what I think is a very good Samford team - with our backup QB going almost the entire way ... I think we're ready for SLC play.

I think you are very ready for conference play, and as I have said, a VERY good football team. The chance you mentioned in the 4th quarter, however, is a little misleading. We were overly generous with SEVEN dropped passes, a couple of fumbles, INT, and several other mishaps, including 3 slip downs by Truss. The drops were mostly in the open with no one around to cause it, by what are usually sure handed receivers. It was just a strange day for us, and just one of those games. I'm also not certain that Bennett would have been better than Barnett yesterday. He didn't make the mistakes that Bennett has been making, and was impressive IMO. What you say about your O-line being outstanding, I certainly agree with. The Lions are a formidable opponent for any SLC Team IMO.

LIONFAN07
September 22nd, 2013, 05:43 PM
I think we are ready for the Southland. I was just happy to get a win yesterday after the miles we have traveled the last 3 weeks and the teams we have played. Samford is very good and we knew that going in. But if you told me Bennett would go out in the 1st quarter and we would win I will take it. To play a BCS, a top ten and basically a top 25 FCS teams on the road and to be where we are I'm pleased. We will see but it should a great year in the league.

lionsrking2
September 22nd, 2013, 05:50 PM
I think you are very ready for conference play, and as I have said, a VERY good football team. The chance you mentioned in the 4th quarter, however, is a little misleading. We were overly generous with SEVEN dropped passes, a couple of fumbles, INT, and several other mishaps, including 3 slip downs by Truss. The drops were mostly in the open with no one around to cause it, by what are usually sure handed receivers. It was just a strange day for us, and just one of those games. I'm also not certain that Bennett would have been better than Barnett yesterday. He didn't make the mistakes that Bennett has been making, and was impressive IMO. What you say about your O-line being outstanding, I certainly agree with. The Lions are a formidable opponent for any SLC Team IMO.

You guys did have some drops and missed opportunities but I can think of a couple which were either well defended, or we had good pass rush to force an off-target throw, and another couple wouldn't have resulted in significant gain ... there were a couple that could have been significant but impossible to say they were outcome-changing given how the game played out. We had some missed opportunities as well, including the unforced fumble on the shotgun snap and we had a wide open receiver in the endzone on Barnett's one INT in which he either underthrew or had the ball slipped out of his hands. We also missed out on a FG opportunity right before the half with a holding call and not being able to get the ball downed before the clock ran out. Things have a way of evening out in a football game, though we tend to only focus on our own mistakes.

As for Bryan Bennett, with all due respect, he makes a HUGE difference, though given how well our offensive line and running backs played yesterday, we didn't need spectacular QB play to move the football ... that said, Jordan Barnett did a great job managing the offense and did make some big throws and a couple of big runs.

But I was very impressed with Samford and I definitely feel they're playoff caliber ... we feel fortunate to get a quality road win over a quality football team ...who knows, maybe we'll meet again before you guys come to Hammond in 2014.

TheRevSFA
September 22nd, 2013, 06:21 PM
It's the Jekyll and Hyde lumberjacks this year. Watch us tank against pvam

Samalum'10
September 22nd, 2013, 10:48 PM
It's the Jekyll and Hyde lumberjacks this year. Watch us tank against pvam
Then beat SELA and UCA on the road and tank again against SHSU xlolx

BEAR
September 23rd, 2013, 09:42 AM
Here's my ranking. After this weekend's game with Missouri State, the Bears are lucky I'm putting them this high.

SHSU
McNeese
SE Louisiana
SFA
UCA
NW State
Lamar
Nicholl St

Sammy94
September 23rd, 2013, 10:05 AM
Here's my ranking. After this weekend's game with Missouri State, the Bears are lucky I'm putting them this high.

SHSU
McNeese
SE Louisiana
SFA
UCA
NW State
Lamar
Nicholl St

Come on Bear, I'd still rank UCA over SFA. It was a good win for the Jacks but MSU is always over rated. With the injuries they have, it wouldn't surprise me if they end up 5th in the Big Sky.

McNeese75
September 23rd, 2013, 11:04 AM

SHSU
McNeese
SE Louisiana
SFA
UCA
NW State
Lamar
Nicholl St

FormerPokeCenter
September 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM

For a second there, I thought you were posting Doc's FB profile pic!

McNeese75
September 23rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
For a second there, I thought you were posting Doc's FB profile pic!

Yeah, I've got it saved for him as well

BEAR
September 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM

Sandbagging? NOT! Let's see. Our Oline isn't coached for the run game. We have no pass game that allows us to run up the sideline for catches. Our short pass game consists of passes to the sideline for no gains. Our kickers are hurt. We lost a good chunk of our defense due to injuries or suspension.
No sand here. Just realism. UCA isn't turning out to play with the potential they should have had to start the year. Hey, every fan has high hopes to start the year. Then ACTUAL game performance sets in and reality smacks you like a cowboy on a mountain in a tent.