PDA

View Full Version : Gardner Webb @ Wofford

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM
This game might get overlooked, but it could be a good one. You ankle biters had better win this game. Can't let the Big South take too much from the SoCon.xnonono2x

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2013, 10:22 AM
It's at home and it's the first game we play against a team that doesn't run the option or the hurry up. I think we stop the run early and make GWU one-dimensional. They won't stop our offense.

Wofford 45 GWU 21

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2013, 10:23 AM
(and I said I wasn't predicting scores earlier this week but I'm confident about this one)

knucklehead
September 16th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Man, do you really see it that lopsided? I do lean Wofford's way, but in a close one.

woffordgrad94
September 16th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Wofford must not take G-w lightly. There is no doubt about that as G-W has been playing better this season. We'll have to be ready to play. But I totally agree with young terrier. G-W will not stop our offense. And our defense is stout. This one not as close as some think. Wofford wins 42-17.

elcid83
September 16th, 2013, 12:42 PM
GWU's D is #19 in FCS in Rushing yds allowed per game - 108.0 [a number that would be even better if it weren't for the Marshall game]. When the competition is more even as it will be when we go to Wofford, the rushing yds allowed per game is minuscule. Wofford is #12 in FCS in Rushing Offense with 241.7 yds per game.

GWU's O - while not exactly lighting up the stat board - is #4 in FCS in time of possession. In order to beat the little dogs, it is going to be critical for the Big Dogs to continue this trend. We also need to improve on our ability to get into the end zone - a place we have not been since the Furman game. Surprisingly, Wofford's rush D is #99 in FCS and allows 259 ypg. This is good news for Blount and Hubbard and I look for them to have a nice evening. Our pass blocking has to improve - we are almost last in FCS in sacks allowed.

All in all, it looks like a much more balanced matchup vs. last year's game against Wofford. My only complaint is playing this game at 7:00. We should have our night games behind us at this point. It is no fun taking pics in the dark. See you Saturday.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

walliver
September 16th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Stats are fairly useless this early in the season. WC has played 2 TO teams and Baylor, it distorts the stats. Also, the new hurry-up TO allows more defensive plays per game.

My main concern is a let-down after Georgia Southern, however, since our next two games are against BYE and PC, I suspect the team will be prepared.

At will be closer than last year's 35-0, but I suspect a 14-17 point Terrier win.

citdog
September 16th, 2013, 01:13 PM
GWU's D is #19 in FCS in Rushing yds allowed per game - 108.0 [a number that would be even better if it weren't for the Marshall game]. When the competition is more even as it will be when we go to Wofford, the rushing yds allowed per game is minuscule. Wofford is #12 in FCS in Rushing Offense with 241.7 yds per game.

GWU's O - while not exactly lighting up the stat board - is #4 in FCS in time of possession. In order to beat the little dogs, it is going to be critical for the Big Dogs to continue this trend. We also need to improve on our ability to get into the end zone - a place we have not been since the Furman game. Surprisingly, Wofford's rush D is #99 in FCS and allows 259 ypg. This is good news for Blount and Hubbard and I look for them to have a nice evening. Our pass blocking has to improve - we are almost last in FCS in sacks allowed.

All in all, it looks like a much more balanced matchup vs. last year's game against Wofford. My only complaint is playing this game at 7:00. We should have our night games behind us at this point. It is no fun taking pics in the dark. See you Saturday.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

WE? I thought this was your WE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1lYG2dsbpc

dungeonjoe
September 16th, 2013, 01:57 PM

that is a cut and paste of his post on the GW board. He has a son playing football there.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Wofford's rush stats are kind of skewed on account of playing one of the best offenses in college football (rushing or passing) and playing 2 option teams.

GWU can win if they keep hold of the ball and stay efficient passing the ball. With that said, I highly doubt they'll have the same success running the ball as the other teams that played wofford did.

the good thing about playing Baylor, GSU, and the citadel early is that people will think we have a poor defense (especially rushing) because of the poor stats, when if you look past them, we are a very good defense.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Why I feel confident about this game:

Wofford hasn't lost to a Big South team home or away since 2006. That was to a Coastal Carolina team that made the playoffs and had like 2 future NFL players on it. That game was a comeback victory for the Chants. In nonconference home games, Wofford has only lost 4 since 1998 in joining the Socon. All of those teams were playoff teams. 3 of those 4 Wofford teams were not playoff teams, and the one that was lost that game in the playoffs against Richmond.

If Gardner Webb wins, they are for real. But very few Big South teams have played us well outside of the first week of the season when they have an offseason to prepare.

Now, if you want to throw out the Big South aspect of it, unless your name is GSU you're going to have a hard time playing at wofford, as a matter of historical performance.

the short answer: we play well at home.

Also, Our defense is better than the stats imply and we generally play teams who run traditional offenses better than those who don't. Our offense is running something GW hasn't seen before. We're a better offense this year. Our defense is better than it is on paper and they'll be out to prove it.

It won't be a low scoring affair, i can assure you of that. And if that's the case, I like Wofford's defense's chances of stopping GW's offense than vice versa.

elcid83
September 16th, 2013, 04:00 PM

I'm not a simple man Citdog. I have all kinds of "We's" going on.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

elcid83
September 16th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Stats are fairly useless this early in the season. WC has played 2 TO teams and Baylor, it distorts the stats. Also, the new hurry-up TO allows more defensive plays per game.

My main concern is a let-down after Georgia Southern, however, since our next two games are against BYE and PC, I suspect the team will be prepared.

At will be closer than last year's 35-0, but I suspect a 14-17 point Terrier win.

Woffords's Rushing D stats are not overly skewed by the Baylor game. Baylor only had 289 net yds rushing against Wofford and Wofford averages 259 yds rushing allowed per game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Why I feel confident about this game:

Wofford hasn't lost to a Big South team home or away since 2006. That was to a Coastal Carolina team that made the playoffs and had like 2 future NFL players on it. That game was a comeback victory for the Chants. In nonconference home games, Wofford has only lost 4 since 1998 in joining the Socon. All of those teams were playoff teams. 3 of those 4 Wofford teams were not playoff teams, and the one that was lost that game in the playoffs against Richmond.

If Gardner Webb wins, they are for real. But very few Big South teams have played us well outside of the first week of the season when they have an offseason to prepare.

Now, if you want to throw out the Big South aspect of it, unless your name is GSU you're going to have a hard time playing at wofford, as a matter of historical performance.

the short answer: we play well at home.

Also, Our defense is better than the stats imply and we generally play teams who run traditional offenses better than those who don't. Our offense is running something GW hasn't seen before. We're a better offense this year. Our defense is better than it is on paper and they'll be out to prove it.

It won't be a low scoring affair, i can assure you of that. And if that's the case, I like Wofford's defense's chances of stopping GW's offense than vice versa.

I can go into how dominant Furman has been over Big South teams. Furman is 73-24 over teams now playing in the Big South historically. You think that matters in 2013?

I'm not here to stick up for GWU. I think they'll give Wofford a game. They are big up front, physical, have a veteran QB, a strong running back, and size on the outside. That's the kind of team you hate to play as a favorite.

I think the Bulldogs have shown enough this season not to be dismissed. They've beaten two teams that many picked them to lose against. They did it with overwhelming defensive efforts.

ElCid
September 16th, 2013, 05:03 PM
GW passes about 2-1 over rush so far (199 pass and 107 average rush per game). I think the called rushes will not be a problem for Wofford to stop. But the pass is another thing. GW is not Baylor but they could cut Wofford up occasionally with some passes, especially if they can protect the QB a little better than they did against Richmond. Also, because Wofford has not seen very many passes since Baylor. Between Cid and Ga SO we were a combined 20-40 for just under 200 yards and both are not very proficient. This will be the first real FCS passing test Wofford faces. We will see how they do but I think Wofford will should handle it without too much damage. GW overall defensive stats are a little skewed by the fact that they have not faced rushing teams, especially of Wofford's caliber. Richmond ran 20 times for 10 yards. Furman ran 26 times for 90. Wofford is going to rush 60-70 times. I do not think they will contain them consistently. If Wofford does not get fancy and stick to what has been working the last 2 games, I already predicted a 42-20 in the SOCON prediction thread. GW is going to have to dig deep to out scheme them. Also, it is always possible, but I would be surprised if Wofford had a let down game considering GW's performance to date.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Woffords's Rushing D stats are not overly skewed by the Baylor game. Baylor only had 289 net yds rushing against Wofford and Wofford averages 259 yds rushing allowed per game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

The highest powered offense in college football and 2 option teams haven't skewed the stats at allxrolleyesx

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I can go into how dominant Furman has been over Big South teams. Furman is 73-24 over teams now playing in the Big South historically. You think that matters in 2013?

I'm not here to stick up for GWU. I think they'll give Wofford a game. They are big up front, physical, have a veteran QB, a strong running back, and size on the outside. That's the kind of team you hate to play as a favorite.

I think the Bulldogs have shown enough this season not to be dismissed. They've beaten two teams that many picked them to lose against. They did it with overwhelming defensive efforts.

I wasn't boasting all-time stats, I'm talking about current trends and trends that persist.

I didn't even mention Wofford's home field advantage in the last 3 year, of which the only team we've lost to is GSU.

The statistical aspects of things have Wofford favored in this matchup. I would venture to say our schedule has been tougher than GWU's this year and we've played better against that competition.

Let's not pretend the stats don't favor who they do.

OLDLCOACH111
September 17th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I wasn't boasting all-time stats, I'm talking about current trends and trends that persist.

I didn't even mention Wofford's home field advantage in the last 3 year, of which the only team we've lost to is GSU.

The statistical aspects of things have Wofford favored in this matchup. I would venture to say our schedule has been tougher than GWU's this year and we've played better against that competition.

I would actually say the schedule leading up to this game is basically even.. Better against better competition? Both schools got blown out against FBS opponents. -No moral victory for playing Baylor and not Marshall...

-Now that we got that out the way

Wofford beat the Citadel(1-2) , Gardner -Webb beat Furman (1-2)
Wofford beat top 20 Georgia Southern, Gardner Webb beat top 20 Richmond

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2013, 03:21 PM

What I'm saying is those may give you comfort, but Furman has owned the "stats" against Wofford for decades. It doesn't matter. They are a good team. Wofford is a good team. I don't think Wofford is going to win going away.

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I would actually say the schedule leading up to this game is basically even.. Better against better competition? Both schools got blown out against FBS opponents. -No moral victory for playing Baylor and not Marshall...

-Now that we got that out the way

Wofford beat the Citadel(1-2) , Gardner -Webb beat Furman (1-2)
Wofford beat top 20 Georgia Southern, Gardner Webb beat top 20 Richmond

Baylor is definitely better than Marshall. Probably the best offense wofford has ever played against.

We manhandled the citadel, even if Furman and the citadel are at the same level, we played better.

Georgia Southern is much much much better than Richmond, and we played them better still.

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2013, 03:32 PM
What I'm saying is those may give you comfort, but Furman has owned the "stats" against Wofford for decades. It doesn't matter. They are a good team. Wofford is a good team. I don't think Wofford is going to win going away.

There's a difference between raising factoids about stats that have persisted through a 60 year history and doing so with like, a 5 year history.

Furman is not the team they were 10 years ago, and I'm really not impressed by a victory over them.

Wofford wins going away.

OLDLCOACH111
September 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Baylor is definitely better than Marshall. Probably the best offense wofford has ever played against.

We manhandled the citadel, even if Furman and the citadel are at the same level, we played better.

Georgia Southern is much much much better than Richmond, and we played them better still.

Llike I said, no moral victories... You play to win the game....(Herm Edwards)

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2013, 04:07 PM
There's a difference between raising factoids about stats that have persisted through a 60 year history and doing so with like, a 5 year history.

Furman is not the team they were 10 years ago, and I'm really not impressed by a victory over them.

Wofford wins going away.

Why do you get to chose when "stats" fail to become relevant? You convince yourself that you are correct because you define the terms and their application.

Not saying that's different than what most folks do. Until the Red Sox came back from 3-0 to win the pennant it had never been done before. Yes, "stats" suggested the answer, but what does it matter what teams did 75 years ago, 10 years ago, or last week?

You don't have to tell me that Furman isn't the team it was 10 years ago. I am aware of that. For many years I was not impressed by wins over Wofford, either. I think it is also manifestly apparent, though, that Gardner Webb is not the same team it was last year either.

BennyandtheJets
September 17th, 2013, 04:12 PM
YoungTerrier - If you don't want to be impressed with GW's win over Furman, a team that the Terriers only beat by 3 at home last season and you want to dismiss GW's win against Richmond too, a team that lost in the last minute to NC State by 2 the prior week and you conclude by saying the Terriers win going away this Saturday, I can confirm that you are making claims that have been regularly made by Furman and Richmond posters in weeks 1 and 3 and we all know how that turned out. Wofford is ranked, Wofford is good, Wofford is favored and Wofford comes from a perennially high powered FCS conference and yet none of those things enabled the efforts of the Paladins or Spiders. I can confirm that the Running Bulldogs don't mind being the underdog and there will be some shocked spectators about 10 pm Saturday night regardless of the outcome because the Dawgs from Boiling Springs are coming to win, will play to win and expect to win. I've heard about big OL's for Furman and Richmond blowing up a supposedly undersized GW front 7 but I never saw it, I reckon we just gonna have to wait for the Dog Fight to see if Wofford's the sh%# or GW is legit.

FCSfan
September 17th, 2013, 04:53 PM
young terrier sounds just that......young. i'm sure Wofford is going about their business preparing for a good opponent in GWU bulldogs. i'm sure they are not comparing wins or previous opponents' abilities. i'm more than sure that they don't have young terrier's attitude.

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Why do you get to chose when "stats" fail to become relevant? You convince yourself that you are correct because you define the terms and their application.

Not saying that's different than what most folks do. Until the Red Sox came back from 3-0 to win the pennant it had never been done before. Yes, "stats" suggested the answer, but what does it matter what teams did 75 years ago, 10 years ago, or last week?

You don't have to tell me that Furman isn't the team it was 10 years ago. I am aware of that. For many years I was not impressed by wins over Wofford, either. I think it is also manifestly apparent, though, that Gardner Webb is not the same team it was last year either.

And I think you're wrong :D

that's how this whole message forum deal works. We predict scores and performances of upcoming games. How do we do that you ask? Well we pull upon tendencies of teams, recent/persistent trends and so forth, and we infer from that how we think teams will do.

In this case, I say the evidence overwhelmingly favors Wofford, and that there is much less that suggests GWU will perform any better than last year.

Sure, they beat Furman and Richmond. But both of those games went down to the wire and I'm not really convinced that any of those teams are quality, preseason rankings or not.

Wofford is a much improved football team from last year, especially on offense, and we won the conference last year. Teams/conferences don't improve overnight to the level suggested that GWU will need to play to beat Wofford. Now, they could beat us, but I just don't see any reason other than the old adage of "any given saturday" that that will happen.

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2013, 05:44 PM
YoungTerrier - If you don't want to be impressed with GW's win over Furman, a team that the Terriers only beat by 3 at home last season and you want to dismiss GW's win against Richmond too, a team that lost in the last minute to NC State by 2 the prior week and you conclude by saying the Terriers win going away this Saturday, I can confirm that you are making claims that have been regularly made by Furman and Richmond posters in weeks 1 and 3 and we all know how that turned out. Wofford is ranked, Wofford is good, Wofford is favored and Wofford comes from a perennially high powered FCS conference and yet none of those things enabled the efforts of the Paladins or Spiders. I can confirm that the Running Bulldogs don't mind being the underdog and there will be some shocked spectators about 10 pm Saturday night regardless of the outcome because the Dawgs from Boiling Springs are coming to win, will play to win and expect to win. I've heard about big OL's for Furman and Richmond blowing up a supposedly undersized GW front 7 but I never saw it, I reckon we just gonna have to wait for the Dog Fight to see if Wofford's the sh%# or GW is legit.

Neither of those teams got into the playoffs each of the last 3 years or runs an offense that's extremely hard to prepare for. Neither of those teams have constructed the same level of consistency as Wofford has over the last 3 years+

If GWU were playing a GSU or ASU after that team had beaten Wofford/GSU/ASU, regardless if GWU had beaten Furman and Richmond, posters on here would be predicting 2 touchdown wins for ASU/GSU and they would be talking about superior athleticism and so on. When Wofford says it we're written off as overlooking them. What's neglected to be mentioned is that wofford is just as successful/more successful than GSU/ASU.

Idk why people like to shortchange wofford so much or pretend we shouldn't have a reason to think we should blow out teams we've always blown out.

young terrier sounds just that......young. i'm sure Wofford is going about their business preparing for a good opponent in GWU bulldogs. i'm sure they are not comparing wins or previous opponents' abilities. i'm more than sure that they don't have young terrier's attitude.

I'm sure no one on any team in the FCS is doing anything what people on an FCS message board are doing too. I've been here 5 years longer, so I'm not buying the whole ~young~ thing either

BennyandtheJets
September 17th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Young Terrier - So I'm just laying it out there, Richmond is not very good per your comments, yet playing the trend game that you say you like to play, in the opener in 2012 on a very wet field which should favor a run oriented offense Wofford handles GW 34-7, the very next week GW loses to Richmond 41-8. This season for reasons beyond anything that you can truly point to GW beats Richmond 12-10 and you're thinking we are going to get blown out by the Terriers. So Richmond returns 17 starters from last season (9 offense, 8 defense) and GW returns 17 starters (8 offense, 9 defense). So Wofford returns 10 starters (5 offense, 5 defense) so I'm asking a simple question which shouldn't take a super computer to calculate that the trend game you want to play is in GW's favor but it's ok go ahead and believe what you want to believe. I know the pundits believe the Dawgs are gonna lose this one, you believe that GW is going to lose this one by a going away score and those same pundits and I dare say you forecasted the same thing for the Furman v GW and Richmond v GW games. Now that's a trend that I like, it proves that the pundits don't know the fight in our Dawgs and neither do you but we all will get a chance to check it out on Saturday.

I respect the Wofford program but it sounds like you might have a little Dog problem when you start putting Wofford, GSU and ASU in the same tier. Those other programs departing the SOCON have not only won outright or shared multiple SOCON Championships which Wofford can also lay a bit of claim to as well, but the Terrier's can't match the success in the FCS playoffs much less claim National Championships ("ships" as in plural xnodx.)

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Young Terrier - So I'm just laying it out there, Richmond is not very good per your comments, yet playing the trend game that you say you like to play, in the opener in 2012 on a very wet field which should favor a run oriented offense Wofford handles GW 34-7, the very next week GW loses to Richmond 41-8. This season for reasons beyond anything that you can truly point to GW beats Richmond 12-10 and you're thinking we are going to get blown out by the Terriers. So Richmond returns 17 starters from last season (9 offense, 8 defense) and GW returns 17 starters (8 offense, 9 defense). So Wofford returns 10 starters (5 offense, 5 defense) so I'm asking a simple question which shouldn't take a super computer to calculate that the trend game you want to play is in GW's favor but it's ok go ahead and believe what you want to believe. I know the pundits believe the Dawgs are gonna lose this one, you believe that GW is going to lose this one by a going away score and those same pundits and I dare say you forecasted the same thing for the Furman v GW and Richmond v GW games. Now that's a trend that I like, it proves that the pundits don't know the fight in our Dawgs and neither do you but we all will get a chance to check it out on Saturday.

I respect the Wofford program but it sounds like you might have a little Dog problem when you start putting Wofford, GSU and ASU in the same tier. Those other programs departing the SOCON have not only won outright or shared multiple SOCON Championships which Wofford can also lay a bit of claim to as well, but the Terrier's can't match the success in the FCS playoffs much less claim National Championships ("ships" as in plural xnodx.)

lol you've lost your credibility by saying that Wofford isn't in the same tier as GSU/ASU when it comes to Socon competition. That's like saying UNI is not in the same tier as NDSU because NDSU has more national titles. Anyone who knows anything about FCS football knows that the measure of a program isn't in national championships exclusively, it's in consistency. Furman has more national championships and championship appearances than Wofford, but I wouldn't say that they are that much better of a program, for at least right now.

Wofford has 2 socon championships in the last 3 years. and 3 of the last 6 (we may get a fourth one this year). the other two years we finished solidly in second. Say what you want about national championships, but Wofford has proven it's a perennial top-10 program in the last few years with playoff appearances, and only losing to teams by a touchdown or less.

You're only at 2 posts and I'm pretty sure you've been following FCS for just that long. Since 2007, App State's last national title (who beat them that year?), Wofford has been in the mix as much as GSU and ASU with roughly the same amount of playoff success.

There is a big 3 in the socon, and it's wofford, GSU, and App.

Also, I'm not looking at one trend exclusively, I'm looking at multiple trends. The number of starters returning doesn't say much about a team's success. The talent level at Wofford is higher than at Gardner Webb, and our success in OOC games and home games, as well as GWU's tradition of playing us poorly is what makes me feel good about this game.

dungeonjoe
September 17th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Usually terriers bite and leave to find something else that grabs their attention. There are one or two that once they get a hold of an ankle or an argument, they don't let go.

FCSfan
September 17th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Usually terriers bite and leave to find something else that grabs their attention. There are one or two that once they get a hold of an ankle or an argument, they don't let go.

The "young" ones do dungeon joe.....well stated

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Just as a side note, came out this week that Furman's backup QB Dillon Woodruff broke his shoulder in the Gardner Webb game.

I guess I can take some solace in the fact that GWU only beat Furman by seven playing a true freshman QB with a broken shoulder. No wonder our offense looked so bad. Also explains why some of the passes were thrown into the stands.

Reign of Terrier
September 18th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Just as a side note, came out this week that Furman's backup QB Dillon Woodruff broke his shoulder in the Gardner Webb game.

I guess I can take some solace in the fact that GWU only beat Furman by seven playing a true freshman QB with a broken shoulder. No wonder our offense looked so bad. Also explains why some of the passes were thrown into the stands.

These facts only fortify my beliefs about this game...

BennyandtheJets
September 18th, 2013, 12:21 PM
It's hard to know whether the many Wofford faithful who expect a hard fought and competitive game are just being respectful and covering their bases as opposed to Young Terrier who is certain of a large margin Wofford win but I'll profer that based on the way Wofford Football has evolved over the years under Ayers leadership, you respect everyone, fear no one and play to the final whistle, thereafter you shake hands and get ready for next week. I've had the opportunity to meet Coaches Ayers, Teachey and Nash and I expect that the Terriers will be well prepared and ready to play. I have similar expectations for GW and with the possibilities of getting a few good breaks and hanging around, it can be another one of those Any Given Saturday moments. It's a bit odd but just like Wofford has a certain style of play, this year's edition of the GW Dawgs has shown against Richmond and Furman an ability to keep the run in check on the defensive side of the ball and maintain solid edges in time of possession without giving up quick strike/big play scores to the opponent.

terrierbob
September 18th, 2013, 10:29 PM

And...some of them are young.