PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Illinois @ Northern Illinois 9-21-13

PanthersBlue
September 16th, 2013, 08:23 AM
The Panthers head north to DeKalb to play the Huskies of NIU for another FCS vs. FBS matchup. Game is slated to kickoff at 6:00 PM and the game can be viewed on ESPN3.

Thoughts on how this matchup goes down.

This will be EIU's second FBS opponenet of the year, with the previous one being San Diego State during week 1.

RabidRabbit
September 16th, 2013, 08:33 AM
NIU won't be an easy game. They're probably the best team NOT IN a BCS conference. Eastern Ill win, may have to move the Panthers to the top 5 in FCS (even #1?) TWO FBS scalps in one season has only been accomplished by one other (transitioning then) FCS team that I'm aware of.

underdawg
September 16th, 2013, 09:33 AM
After my Salukis got beat in double overtime 40-37 and after watching on-line the Panthers eviscerate the ISU Redbirds, I have no doubt that they are a top 5 team--good luck to them the rest of the season--till we meet them again in the play-offs.

Skyhawk71
September 16th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Last year NIU was the game the only game the Skyhawks where physically outmatched, size and speed where factors, IMO we lost the next week to EKU due to the injuries suffered in that game- If NIU's defense is about the same EIU will score points, the 'Hawks where only down 14-7 in the first half- then the depth factor kicked in and the beat down ensued in the second half- Good Luck to EIU, this will be a tough test........

Twentysix
September 16th, 2013, 10:25 AM
NIU won't be an easy game. They're probably the best team NOT IN a BCS conference. Eastern Ill win, may have to move the Panthers to the top 5 in FCS (even #1?) TWO FBS scalps in one season has only been accomplished by one other (transitioning then) FCS team that I'm aware of.

I don't think they can beat NIU, but I already think they are the #4 team. After throttling ISU-r like that, I believe until they show me they don't belong.

citdog
September 16th, 2013, 11:08 AM

1992 The Citadel over Arkansas 10-3
1992 The Citadel over hudson high 15-14

PanthersBlue
September 16th, 2013, 11:20 AM
During the postgame show on the Panther Radio Network after the Illinois State game they were talking about next week's game at NIU and how Eastern has been trying to beef-up their SOS by playing two FBS teams in a year to help with their chances in the at-large selction process of the new playoff format.

Do you think more FCS teams will try to do the same or done so already to help build their resumes?

Twentysix
September 16th, 2013, 11:21 AM
During the postgame show on the Panther Radio Network after the Illinois State game they were talking about next week's game at NIU and how Eastern has been trying to beef-up their SOS by playing two FBS teams in a year to help with their chances in the at-large selction process of the new playoff format.

Do you think more FCS teams will try to do the same or done so already to help build their resumes?

Do you think that's true? Or does EIU need the money?

UNI has done it, but for money.

PanthersBlue
September 16th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Do you think that's true? Or does EIU need the money?

UNI has done it, but for money.

Good point.

TTUEagles
September 16th, 2013, 11:45 AM

I don't see how it really matters with strength of schedule. I'd grade an EIU loss to ANY FBS by < 1 score better than say, losing to this year's NIU by 50, but, really, once playoffs are decided wouldn't another win over (just about) any FCS school weigh more? I would think playing 2 FBS is more about $$ (See: APSU's schedule this year - trying to fund a new stadium) vs SOS.
I know TTU has said it wants to play 1 FBS game at the highest possible payout every year and at least 2 OOC FCS games every year for playoff considerations.

RabidRabbit
September 16th, 2013, 11:46 AM
1992 The Citadel over Arkansas 10-3
1992 The Citadel over hudson high 15-14

SDSU was still DII at that time, so not aware. Good Job in 1992 by THE Citadel. Enjoyed tour of THE Citadel, and Charleston wrapped around daughter's wedding this weekend, beautiful community.

dystopiamembrane
September 16th, 2013, 05:45 PM
This is going to be a tough go for Eastern. Northern is a fine ball club. I expected them to beat Iowa.
I'll be rooting for Eastern wholeheartedly.

OSRacer
September 16th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Go EIU...NIU is a very good team, but I believe EIU will move the ball against anyone. Stopping the Huskies is another story...

ElCid
September 17th, 2013, 09:37 AM
SDSU was still DII at that time, so not aware. Good Job in 1992 by THE Citadel. Enjoyed tour of THE Citadel, and Charleston wrapped around daughter's wedding this weekend, beautiful community.

What did you think of campus?