PDA

View Full Version : At the end of it all: respect

dungeonjoe
September 16th, 2013, 06:17 AM
This, gentlemen, is one of the reasons I love FCS football.

The herald journal gets hinky these days about their pay wall but here goes

Terriers sad that strong foes are leaving SoCon
Sep 15, 2013
By TODD SHANESY / [email protected]
“Georgia Southern is a great team and playing them has been fun,” Wofford linebacker Alvin Scioneaux said. “It's been great competing every year with them and also Appalachian State. The three of us have led this conference. We've been the best teams for quite a while.”
As usual, things got a little heated in the trenches Saturday night, with Wofford coming out on top most of the time and dominating the line of scrimmage. But at the final horn, the two teams gathered at midfield to wish each other well. There were handshakes, hugs and a prayer meeting that featured a mix of black jerseys with white jerseys.
“On the field, you're running hard and hitting hard and trying to beat your opponent,” Wofford safety Josh Holt said. “But they are people, just like us. We want to be respectful, win or lose. The coaches instill that in us.”
Wofford players and coaches, when they are on the road, always pause and stand in attention when the home team plays its alma mater. Opponents don't often play their school song at the end of games in Gibbs Stadium, but when the Georgia Southern band in a small corner of the stands broke into song, the Terriers joined the Eagles in tribute.
“That's just part of what we do,” Ayers said. “You battle on the field and after that, you're a good citizen. You do what you're supposed to do. … I think both teams respect each other. I know I respect the heck out of their program. (Head coach) Jeff (Monken) does an unbelievable job. All those coaches do a great job. I wish Georgia Southern the best. I really do.”

“It's great to play against great competition,” Wofford quarterback Michael Weimer said. “You always want to play the best. I'm going to miss playing Georgia Southern, but they're moving on to other things. Maybe we can play then sometime down the road.”

http://m.goupstate.com/article/20130915/articles/130919797/1090/terriers_sad_that_strong_foes_are_leaving_socon

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Two programs I have a great deal or respect for. Kudo's to both, classy programs and fans!

ASUMountaineer
September 16th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks for posting DJ!

FCSfan
September 16th, 2013, 08:36 AM
not many programs I've enjoyed following other than Wofford.
the socon and caa have been great to watch over the last 20 years but mike ayers has a solid football program with true class.
they get made fun of by posters on this site for a small stadium, wine and cheese crowds and limited tradition....well these young men have been creating tradition
during ayers' tenure and they just keep winning. I have nothing but respect for the terriers!

Eaglesrus
September 16th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Major respect for Mike Ayers and his program at Wofford. As an opponent you can always count on them being a sound, disciplined opponent that will make very few mistakes and give you all that they've got. If we needed a head coach Ayers would be the first choice on my list from the FCS ranks by a good margin. Definitely our annual SoCon game that I'll miss the most (since we'll still be playing App State every year).

BEAR
September 16th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Saw the other day when Fresno State and Colorado had to cancel their game due to the flooding in Colorado that the Fresno team had paid for a charter to Boulder and instead "eating" the cost of the prepaid charter the Fresno State A.D. announced the charter flight would go out with blankets, food, water and any other supplies needed for the flood victims. That's CLASSY!
(Only reason I bring it up is because UCA was out there just the Saturday before and its a pretty darn cool thing for Fresno State to do! )

sgt smash
September 16th, 2013, 11:14 AM
With all the negatives that are made a big deal of in football, stuff like this is better to hear and should get way more coverage than some paid autographs.

Silenoz
September 16th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Of all the teams to walk out of WaGriz with a win, I'm pretty sure Wofford got the biggest send off from our crowd

marenlee
September 16th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Wofford was definitely one of the most respectable programs to come into Fargo. Never heard one bad thing about the players/coaches/fans. They showed it on TV too.

Go...gate
September 16th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Saw the other day when Fresno State and Colorado had to cancel their game due to the flooding in Colorado that the Fresno team had paid for a charter to Boulder and instead "eating" the cost of the prepaid charter the Fresno State A.D. announced the charter flight would go out with blankets, food, water and any other supplies needed for the flood victims. That's CLASSY!
(Only reason I bring it up is because UCA was out there just the Saturday before and its a pretty darn cool thing for Fresno State to do! )

Did not know this - that is terrific!

Darlinikki150
September 16th, 2013, 01:21 PM
As a fan of football I'm humbled by the comments of this young man. We all get so caught up in winning and trash talking we forget the tradition of FCS football and how hard these kids play every week. Its a good reminder to all of us to be respectful. Very classy young man and program. Proud to be playing in the same league...