PDA

View Full Version : Police Officer Charged In Fatal Shooting Of Former FAMU Football Player

superman7515
September 15th, 2013, 08:03 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/ferrell-kerrick-police-unarmed-shooting-charlotte-191520307.html

A North Carolina police officer was charged with voluntary manslaughter on Saturday after police say he fatally shot an unarmed man who had apparently just survived a car crash in Charlotte and was looking for help.

The victim, Jonathan Ferrell, a 24-year-old former Florida A&M University football player, was shot multiple times and pronounced dead at the scene early Saturday morning.

The 27-year-old officer, Randall Kerrick, turned himself into police late Saturday. He was released on a $50,000 bond.

"The shooting of Mr. Ferrell was excessive,” the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said in a statement. “Our investigation has shown that Officer Kerrick did not have a lawful right to discharge his weapon during this encounter.”

Southern Bison
September 15th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Too many commandos coming into police work over the past few years...the days of Sheriff Andy where they were stewards of the community and willing to assist their populace have gone by the wayside.

Ferrell moved to Charlotte in February after a stint at FAMU where he played safety on the school’s football team. He worked two jobs, one at Best Buy and another at Dillard’s department store. Police said he drove a black Toyota Camry down a street that leads to the community’s pool, clubhouse and tennis courts. But the car crashed into an embankment about 2 a.m., police said. Investigators said they found no indication of alcohol use, but are waiting for toxicology tests.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/15/4315763/cmpd-officer-charged-in-shooting.html#.UjZ9Wn-yktg

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1238198_478591355572073_947734551_n.png

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/15/4315763/cmpd-officer-charged-in-shooting.html#storylink=cpy

Big Dawg
September 15th, 2013, 11:51 PM
This is so sad...I grew up in same part of town that he and his brother grew up in. We're all around the same age so we all had the same friends...it's just sad and sickening, man

His brother, Willie also played for FAMU after transferring from Ole miss and was impact player for our defense. He and his brother were very close and were only 16 months apart in age. They both were also teammates at FAMU DRS(know as FAMU High) before moving up to the university

Big Dawg
September 15th, 2013, 11:56 PM
This is a pic of Jonathan Ferrell as a member of both the FAMU High and Florida A&M football teams...the FAMU High picture on the right is from their high school State Championship game, which they won

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2013/09/15/12/31/L0xNW.Em.138.jpeg

Fordham
September 16th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Just awful. RIP

Laker
September 16th, 2013, 04:37 PM
The story that I heard was that he saw the police and went to them to ask for help. Then Wyatt Earp decided to open fire for some reason. I'm sure that the story will change several times before it all come out. I hope that this story doesn't get buried now that the Navy Yard story is fresh.

chattownmocs
September 16th, 2013, 05:10 PM
The story that I heard was that he saw the police and went to them to ask for help. Then Wyatt Earp decided to open fire for some reason. I'm sure that the story will change several times before it all come out. I hope that this story doesn't get buried now that the Navy Yard story is fresh.

So you think this should be a big national story? Why? Get your facts straight btw.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 16th, 2013, 05:21 PM
So you think this should be a big national story? Why? Get your facts straight btw.

chattownmocs, ladies and gentlemen.

Laker
September 16th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Yes, I do if what I read was true.

"A North Carolina police officer was charged with voluntary manslaughter (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/14/4313045/cmpd-chief-to-hold-press-conference.html#.UjX4qlMrOCT) on Saturday after police say he fatally shot an unarmed man who had apparently just survived a car crash in Charlotte and was looking for help."

And your facts are?

superman7515
September 16th, 2013, 05:57 PM
And your facts are?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQtysS7fB4k

chattownmocs
September 16th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Yes, I do if what I read was true.

"A North Carolina police officer was charged with voluntary manslaughter (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/14/4313045/cmpd-chief-to-hold-press-conference.html#.UjX4qlMrOCT) on Saturday after police say he fatally shot an unarmed man who had apparently just survived a car crash in Charlotte and was looking for help."

And your facts are?

That dude banged on someone's door. They called 911 in fear and then he charged the police when they got there and when the tazer failed they shot him. Obviously shooting him was extreme but dude comes at you after someone called the police on them you can see the difference between that and what happened. In any event, why should this be a national story?

chattownmocs
September 16th, 2013, 06:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQtysS7fB4k

There are hundreds of millions of people in this country. Every time a black person dies at the hands of a white person is not national news.

Laker
September 16th, 2013, 06:22 PM
That dude banged on someone's door. They called 911 in fear and then he charged the police when they got there and when the tazer failed they shot him. Obviously shooting him was extreme but dude comes at you after someone called the police on them you can see the difference between that and what happened. In any event, why should this be a national story?

The guy had a car crash. I'm guessing that he was disoriented and hurt. I grew up trusting the police and looking up to them as someone who would protect me. This isn't something that police usually do- they are trained to use firearms as a last resort. If they do an autopsy that says he was full of angel dust or meth it might change the circumstances, but yes, shooting him was extreme.

Miley Cyrus dancing is national news, and this is a lot more important than that.............

superman7515
September 16th, 2013, 06:27 PM
For what it is worth, if he actually charged them in an agressive manner, I doubt the police would have charged a fellow cop since they would have understood why he acted in that manner. The police department obviously feels this cop wasn't threatened.

Southern Bison
September 16th, 2013, 08:10 PM
The guy had a car crash. I'm guessing that he was disoriented and hurt. I grew up trusting the police and looking up to them as someone who would protect me. This isn't something that police usually do- they are trained to use firearms as a last resort. If they do an autopsy that says he was full of angel dust or meth it might change the circumstances, but yes, shooting him was extreme.

Laker, I grew up the exact same way. Unfortunately, too many of today's police force (I am friends with some upstanding officers) are the Rambo wanna-bes that destroy the reputation of the entire force. I know the area where this young man was shot and unfortunately, it is not the safest street in Charlotte, but it's also not an area that is known for crime. Three officers against 1 man (apparently injured to some degree) would've had no problem subduing this young adult without lethal force. The officer charged fired his weapon 12 time striking the unarmed victim 10 times.

Southern Bison
September 16th, 2013, 08:44 PM
There are hundreds of millions of people in this country. Every time a black person dies at the hands of a white person is not national news.

Dumbass racist prick...I'm not looking at this as a black/white issue. This is a "martial-law attitude of too many police officers in this country" issue.

GreatAppSt
September 16th, 2013, 09:49 PM

Exactly. thanks for posting this thought for me. FTP!

xoutofrepx

chattownmocs
September 16th, 2013, 10:36 PM

Miley Cyrus dancing is national news, and this is a lot more important than that.............

You just suggested that the navy yard shootings shouldn't push it off the front page.

chattownmocs
September 16th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Dumbass racist prick...I'm not looking at this as a black/white issue. This is a "martial-law attitude of too many police officers in this country" issue.

How about you look at what I responded to you piece of trash. Oh wait, I quoted it. And if you think the main stream media will miss an opportunity to paint this as a racial hate killing whether it holds any water or not than I can't help you. But you do need help.

Southern Bison
September 16th, 2013, 11:36 PM

Laker does have his facts straight at the time of his posting.

It will become national news because the liberal mainstream media, Jesse Jackson, & Al Sharpton will see it as a black vs. white issue. The reality of the situation is not racial, but the "police-authority" state that has developed in this country. Some officers have an almost "Gestapo" attitude when they put on that badge instead of serving and protecting the citizens around them. I know of many instances in a suburb of Charlotte where police have harassed law-abiding individuals to the point of bringing lawsuits against the dept.

How about you look at what I responded to you piece of trash. Oh wait, I quoted it. And if you think the main stream media will miss an opportunity to paint this as a racial hate killing whether it holds any water or not than I can't help you. But you do need help.

You were the only poster to mention the involved parties' skin colors...No one else on this thread was looking at the situation like you did. Your insights into this closely resembles the dribble of your "Who's Laughing now" thread contributions.

Houndawg
September 17th, 2013, 04:30 AM

You're the one that just made it a race issue, pinhead. But since you did.... do you seriously think that three cops would have reacted the same to a white man? Or that the homeowner would have called 911, after answering her door?

Green1
September 17th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Just heard about this terrible story. My heart and prayers go out to this young man's family. I hope they find justice.