PDA

View Full Version : OVC Week 3, Thoughts?

Skyhawk71
September 15th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Ok OVC crew- what happened, and what are your thoughts? I have my xtwocentsx on UTM vs. UCA
Tennessee-Martin 24 Central Arkansas 23- blocked kick on last play of the game to pull off the upset- for 3 quarters dominated the game; fall off in the fourth, but held on for win, I would say this was most significant win for OVC this week only because I felt EIU was supposed to win, but didn't expect it to be a blowout
EIU 57 Illinois State 24
TTU 30 Hampton 27
TSU 26 Jackson State 16
Jacksonville State 24 UNA 21 (2OT) I thought this would be a good game, but still thought in the sense of two touchdown JSU win good game, more exciting than expected- The Gulf South was well represented by West Al and UNA yesterday
Murray State 41 Missouri State 38- actually closer than I thought it would be for the Racers
Coastal Carolina 51 Eastern Kentucky 32- this is the one I want to hear about most, I thought Coastal could win this game, but it is very difficult to win at Roy Kidd Stadium, the score is the surprise, much like the EIU score
Chattanooga 42 Austin Peay 10- 2 more games left in the 5 game road trip for the Govs- at least they scored a touchdown this week.........

skinny_uncle
September 15th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I think EIU might run the table in the OVC.

Skyhawk71
September 15th, 2013, 11:23 AM

Yep, they are good for one conference melt-down every year, but this may be the year that it doesn't happen........

Cocky
September 15th, 2013, 11:27 AM
EIU and UTM apprear the top teams
JSU, EKU and Murray close behind.
EIU will lose a game.

SU DOG
September 15th, 2013, 01:25 PM
What is the deal with that UNA game??? I have been on here saying that JSU would be the dark horse of the OVC, and is loaded with talent, and a better coaching staff. Now, I have to wonder if I miscalculated. Looking at the stats, the Lions actually appear to have kicked Gamecock tail. UNA may be a good D-2 team, but to win in 2 overtimes and have to settle for that many field goals, I'm just surprised. Not knocking the Cocks, just asking for perspective.

Cocky
September 16th, 2013, 01:33 PM
What is the deal with that UNA game??? I have been on here saying that JSU would be the dark horse of the OVC, and is loaded with talent, and a better coaching staff. Now, I have to wonder if I miscalculated. Looking at the stats, the Lions actually appear to have kicked Gamecock tail. UNA may be a good D-2 team, but to win in 2 overtimes and have to settle for that many field goals, I'm just surprised. Not knocking the Cocks, just asking for perspective.

No vertical passing game. Defense is all we got and they are tired.

superman7515
September 16th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Ok OVC crew- what happened, and what are your thoughts? I have my xtwocentsx on UTM vs. UCA
Tennessee-Martin 24 Central Arkansas 23- blocked kick on last play of the game to pull off the upset- for 3 quarters dominated the game; fall off in the fourth, but held on for win, I would say this was most significant win for OVC this week only because I felt EIU was supposed to win, but didn't expect it to be a blowout

Yep, they are good for one conference melt-down every year, but this may be the year that it doesn't happen........

EIU is so good, Skyhawk expected them to win the Tennessee-Martin/Central Arkansas game. ;)

Skyhawk71
September 16th, 2013, 07:29 PM
EIU is so good, Skyhawk expected them to win the Tennessee-Martin/Central Arkansas game. ;)

Tennessee-Martin vs. Central Arkansas was a battle between two of the three schools that blew EIU off the field last year- Skyhawks win........let's not lose focus on that as some of the pollsters seemed to have missed it...........Again this is this year, and I'm a little worried about EIU, that offense with a defense is scary, of course the 'Hawks go back to Tech so we may lay another egg and not have to worry about EIU........xsalutex

OSRacer
September 16th, 2013, 09:04 PM
EIU looks to be the class of the league...It is early but damn they have been impressive. Killed SDSU, destroyed ISU and beat a good SIU team. They are scary if they stay healthy. Don't sleep on UTM, they are overlooked every year but their coach has recruited well and he has a good staff and he is a very good head coach. EKU suffered a surprising (to me) blow out loss and JSU was played very tough by D2 UNA...I think JSU may be down this year, but they will still have great athletes. As far as my Racers....time will tell. We have some serious talent but have been consistently inconsistent during Hatchers tenure. Last years defense was historically bad and even if we're much improved we may still be very average on that side of the ball. I think the OVC FINALLY wins a playoff game or 2 this year. The conference is tough and pretty deep this year....

TTUEagles
September 16th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Well, I and some others were HIGHLY disappointed in TTU's Saturday performance. Again, with lackluster defense, we aren't getting the production from our highly touted QB like we thought/hoped and once again, injuries are killing our RB's... Could be another long year on the Plateau - maybe the Hampton game was just an anomaly.

Skyhawk71
September 17th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Well, I and some others were HIGHLY disappointed in TTU's Saturday performance. Again, with lackluster defense, we aren't getting the production from our highly touted QB like we thought/hoped and once again, injuries are killing our RB's... Could be another long year on the Plateau - maybe the Hampton game was just an anomaly.

TTU had State on the ropes last year, and blew it on the last play of the game- I think that this week is a huge game, win and the Eagles get going.....It's really hard to come off of an FBS game and go on the road......just ask Central Arkansas

Cocky
September 17th, 2013, 07:56 AM
TUNA should be invited to the OVC, ASAP

JSU will be lucky to finish third in the OVC this year. Fourth appears to be our landing spot.

TTUEagles
September 17th, 2013, 08:38 AM
TUNA should be invited to the OVC, ASAP

JSU will be lucky to finish third in the OVC this year. Fourth appears to be our landing spot.

This conference is ruled by basketball and they don't want another school playing football. As I wrote in another thread, the Murray people went nuts after the OVC turned down NKU. I see Lipscomb coming in way before UNA. But, I agree with you, if UNA comes in, that elevates the football quality immediately. Great fan support down in the Shoals, too.

Skyhawk71
September 18th, 2013, 12:24 PM
http://ovcball.net/2013/09/week-three-power-rankings I honestly did not know that such a thing as ovcball.net existed, seems decent any thoughts on the website- power rankings seem to be fair, and in accordance with how the season has played out so far

Jazzman1522
September 18th, 2013, 07:00 PM
http://ovcball.net/2013/09/week-three-power-rankings I honestly did not know that such a thing as ovcball.net existed, seems decent any thoughts on the website- power rankings seem to be fair, and in accordance with how the season has played out so far

It's a pretty good site. As far as I'm concerned, it scores major points just for existing. However, it's very basketball focused (They only just started covering football recently, I think). And the guys that run it are Murray State guys. They do a decent job of keeping their bias out of it, but it does rear its ugly head on occasion.