PDA

View Full Version : Big South

rokamortis
September 15th, 2013, 10:43 AM
So the Big South has come out and surprised some folks. Coastal and Liberty were expected to be the frontrunners but with Gardner-Webb and CSU surprising some teams they have to be in the discussion as well.

I know the SoCon is not the SoCon of old, but still - the Big South has had some solid showings OOC. Liberty and Coastal had new coaches last year with GWU and CSU getting new coaches this year - what a difference some fresh blood brings to a program wallowing in mediocrity.

So is this just a fad or do you think the BSC has made a lasting leap in terms of quality?

CID1990
September 15th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I think at the end of the season things will be as expected: Liberty and CCU good with playoff bids (the at large might well go to Fargo), and then everybody else.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I think Wofford will set the record straight next week.

rokamortis
September 15th, 2013, 10:56 AM

You will probably win, but 'set the record straight' seems a bit strong. GWU's win over Richmond is quality and may be better than if they beat Wofford. But if the beat WoCo - we better watch out for those dawgs,

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2013, 11:00 AM
You will probably win, but 'set the record straight' seems a bit strong. GWU's win over Richmond is quality and may be better than if they beat Wofford. But if the beat WoCo - we better watch out for those dawgs,

I'm just skeptical of the wins against Furman. Chuck South and GW are definitely improved and the overall depth of the conference is improved, but I'm not inclined to think the Citadel and Furman are the class of the Socon.

GWU is going to have to outscore Wofford and I think they'll have a hard time doing that as well. Especially since they never really have and we've tweaked our offense to more of a hurry up.

rokamortis
September 15th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I'm just skeptical of the wins against Furman. Chuck South and GW are definitely improved and the overall depth of the conference is improved, but I'm not inclined to think the Citadel and Furman are the class of the Socon.

GWU is going to have to outscore Wofford and I think they'll have a hard time doing that as well. Especially since they never really have and we've tweaked our offense to more of a hurry up.

I agree about FU and El Cid - but what about Richmond?

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I agree about FU and El Cid - but what about Richmond?

The CAA is not as good as it once was. With that said, Richmond is a good team, but it's hard to gunge them. I think what makes things harder for teams like GWU, CSU, and PC to play teams like Wofford in the middle of the season is that our schemes are not seen often from teams outside the socon. We're also going to run the ball more than 20 times.

Skyhawk71
September 15th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Good win for Coastal Carolina- Roy Kidd Stadium is a tough place to play, and they took care of business in impressive fashion

URMite
September 15th, 2013, 02:09 PM
The CAA is not as good as it once was. With that said, Richmond is a good team, but it's hard to gunge them. I think what makes things harder for teams like GWU, CSU, and PC to play teams like Wofford in the middle of the season is that our schemes are not seen often from teams outside the socon. We're also going to run the ball more than 20 times.

So you expect to run the ball more than 20 carries for 10 yards? Hehe...

OL FU
September 15th, 2013, 03:12 PM
****, I thought at first you were extending us an invitexconfusedx:o

elcid83
September 15th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Can't wait. Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

knucklehead
September 15th, 2013, 05:13 PM
As a fan of a Big South team, I'm just glad to be in the discussion. Liberty needs this one VS an angry UR team this week. Thanks GW!

rokamortis
September 18th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Big South Rising: Rival league poised to take advantage of SoCon’s uncertain future

When Charleston Southern knocked off The Citadel, 32-29, on Aug. 31 at Johnson Hagood Stadium, Buccaneer fans could have sent up a cheer of “Big South! Big South! Big South!”

Had they known how the first weeks of the college football season would unfold, they might have.

The Big South Conference, which since it began playing football in 2002 has been widely seen as little brother to the superior Southern Conference, is off to the best start in league history.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20130917/PC20/130919369/big-south-rising-rival-league-poised-to-take-advantage-of-socon-x2019-s-uncertain-future

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Do I think the Big South is going to supplant the SoCon? No. Every dog has its day. They are off to a great start, but I think we have to remember it is a small handful of games in a single season. SoCon teams have whalloped most Big South schools for years. This year is just different.

rokamortis
September 18th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Do I think the Big South is going to supplant the SoCon? No. Every dog has its day. They are off to a great start, but I think we have to remember it is a small handful of games in a single season. SoCon teams have whalloped most Big South schools for years. This year is just different.

But you are losing two of the traditionally better schools and adding VMI. These are significant changes happening that could have lasting impact.

elcid83
September 18th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Big South fans do need to be careful as you compare us to the SOCON. The BS Director, Kallender, has a lot of serious work to do before the BS can puff up about its football prowess. When VMI moves to the SOCON next year, we will replace them with Monmouth - probably an upgrade football wise. Kennesaw St. is also going to make a brief appearance to play football. Unfortunately, we also know that Liberty and CCU are looking for greener pastures. There is no other public discussion about what the BS plans to do to shore up football. I do understand that it is unlikely that these kinds of discussions will not typically go public until the deal is inked. However, Mr. Kallender gives no BS fan reason to believe that we should think of ourselves as something special in FCS football.

A good 3 week string does not make the BS a significant factor in discussions involving the long tradition of SOCON football. We have a ways to go before we can talk about such.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

knucklehead
September 18th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I'm not a big fan of that type of comparison until after the season anyway, but the Big South still has a LOT to prove. But yes, losing VMI to the SoCon does help BCS in this comparison.