PDA

View Full Version : Most Significant Win/Most Significant Loss - Week 3

superman7515
September 15th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Since it seems so many lack the vision to separate one from the other, haha, and this has nothing to do with your actuall poll spots, I thought this could use a discussion as well.

Most Significant Win:
Eastern Illinois
Fordham
Bethune-Cookman

Most Significant Loss:
Richmond
Central Arkansas
Stony Brook (not because they will drop, but because it went to 5OT and had they won, you're looking at another team trying to make a Top 10 argument)

slostang
September 15th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Wofford had a big win over GSU.

rokamortis
September 15th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Gardner-Webb over Richmond is a significant win

Tealblood
September 15th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I think CCU blowing out a solid eastern Kentucky team at their place. The first time CCU while ranked has ever played another ranked team in regular season.

the most points ever scored against them at Roy Kidd stadium and 10 yards from most yards they have given up at Kidd stadium

Gil Dobie
September 15th, 2013, 09:38 AM

They get my vote, as GSU would have been a top 10 team if eligible.

Humble Steward
September 15th, 2013, 09:43 AM
B-CU on the road in a route of an FBS program (FIU). This game was a major significant win and continued the FCS streak over FBS teams this year. Great win Wildcats.

Cocky
September 15th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Personally I try to vote FCS v FCS games.
UTM v CAU
EIU v ISU
GW v Richmond
Coastal v EKU
SDSU v SELA

SeattleGriz
September 15th, 2013, 10:06 AM

Agreed.

mmiller_34
September 15th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Although Eastern Illinois is legit.. I thought Illinois State was a significant loss... They dropped from my rankings after getting piss pounded.

ElCid
September 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Since it seems so many lack the vision to separate one from the other, haha, and this has nothing to do with your actuall poll spots, I thought this could use a discussion as well.

Most Significant Win:
Eastern Illinois
Fordham
Bethune-Cookman

Most Significant Loss:
Richmond
Central Arkansas
Stony Brook (not because they will drop, but because it went to 5OT and had they won, you're looking at another team trying to make a Top 10 argument)

Exactly. They may be from the same game, but not necessarily. These are all very good candidates. I like the idea of considering what a team lost in potential ranking by not winning (Stoney Brook) rather than what a team will lose in ranking by actually losing. Interesting twist. However, since Stoney Brook will likely not drop and maybe even go up 1 or 2, it is hard to quantify what the loss actually means. It is going to be a tough choice.

WileECoyote06
September 15th, 2013, 12:27 PM
B-CU on the road in a route of an FBS program (FIU). This game was a major significant win and continued the FCS streak over FBS teams this year. Great win Wildcats.

I gotta ride with the conference on this one. If I'm not mistaken, no MEAC school has beaten an FBS school (while being a member of the MEAC). That's a significant win, not only because they won, but because they dominated the Panthers in a road win.

paward
September 15th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Hate to admit it but had to put my Spiders down for worse loss. I was worried about being flat after last week. I did think we would pull out the win. Not getting easier next week.

Twentysix
September 15th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Stony brooks loss propelled them foreward 3 spots in my poll, that was the most significant loss imo.

Fordham most significant win, it was the biggest place jump in my poll.

I can understand arguments for all of them though.

ODUsmitty
September 15th, 2013, 03:53 PM
WilE-

Congrats on your impressive win versus UNC-c!!

WileECoyote06
September 15th, 2013, 04:17 PM
WilE-

Congrats on your impressive win versus UNC-c!!

Thanks man. Long time no post. How's life treating you?

wapiti
September 15th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Sac State almost had a significant loss against NAIA Southern Oregon.
Sac won 63 to 56.
How does a Big Sky team allow a NAIA team to score 56 points?
Southern Oregon's other two losses are to NAIA teams.

So I vote Sac State for worst win.

clenz
September 15th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Sac State almost had a significant loss against NAIA Southern Oregon.
Sac won 63 to 56.
How does a Big Sky team allow a NAIA team to score 56 points?
Southern Oregon's other two losses are to NAIA teams.

So I vote Sac State for worst win.
Because Big Sky teams don't play defense...

Idaho State -Nothing needs to be said
Montana State - looks pedestrian on offense without DM. Defense may keep them in things though. As bad as the rest of the BSC looks they're still probably a 3rd place team.
Portland State - potential but they gave up 350 yards of offense to the D2 they played today, 616 yards to Cal, and 438 yards to Eastern Oregon
SUU - beat up on a D2 and a hapless South Alabama. Gave up just under 500 yards today and gained 213
NAU - Bowman runs like crazy, but only averaging about 200 yards of offense per game
CP - tough to tell after playing 2 FBS teams, but giving up about 480 yards per game of offense the last 2 weeks...
UND - possibly worst defense in the history of ever
UNC - lost to a D2, about to get **** stomped by UNI this week...giving up about 420 yards of offense per week. Might be luck to win another game this year
WSU- there's got to be an upside to getting outscored 140-13 in the last 2 weeks, and 180-63 on the season, right? Well, they get to play BSC defenses. They are givng up 600 yards of offense per game
SSU - Needed OT, and 63 points to beat a D2/NAIA school while giving up 600 yards of offense..averaging giving up about 520-540 yards on the season. On the plus side, they finally scored this season...only took 3 games. That should change quickly facing these BSC defenses.
UC-D - actually has one of the best defenses in the conference thus far giving up a meager 340 yards per game

GoAgs72
September 16th, 2013, 12:06 AM
UC-D - actually has one of the best defenses in the conference thus far giving up a meager 340 yards per game

After having seen all three Aggie games (South Dakota on the internet), I would agree with your statement about the UC Davis defense. The 340 yards were skewed upwards by the Nevada-Reno game. They are very good. Too bad our offense stinks at this time.

wapiti
September 16th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Because Big Sky teams don't play defense...

Idaho State -Nothing needs to be said
Montana State - looks pedestrian on offense without DM. Defense may keep them in things though. As bad as the rest of the BSC looks they're still probably a 3rd place team.
Portland State - potential but they gave up 350 yards of offense to the D2 they played today, 616 yards to Cal, and 438 yards to Eastern Oregon
SUU - beat up on a D2 and a hapless South Alabama. Gave up just under 500 yards today and gained 213
NAU - Bowman runs like crazy, but only averaging about 200 yards of offense per game
CP - tough to tell after playing 2 FBS teams, but giving up about 480 yards per game of offense the last 2 weeks...
UND - possibly worst defense in the history of ever
UNC - lost to a D2, about to get **** stomped by UNI this week...giving up about 420 yards of offense per week. Might be luck to win another game this year
WSU- there's got to be an upside to getting outscored 140-13 in the last 2 weeks, and 180-63 on the season, right? Well, they get to play BSC defenses. They are givng up 600 yards of offense per game
SSU - Needed OT, and 63 points to beat a D2/NAIA school while giving up 600 yards of offense..averaging giving up about 520-540 yards on the season. On the plus side, they finally scored this season...only took 3 games. That should change quickly facing these BSC defenses.

You missed picking on EWU and UM.

You say UND may have the worst defense in history ever. I disagree, I would say BBQ state may have the worst defense in history ever. Look at the points they have given up. BBQ D is worse than the team formely known as Souix D.

UNI should easily beat UNC.