PDA

View Full Version : Southern Tabs Fmr Tx-St San Marcos AD

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2005, 10:41 AM
A name I'm sure you are all familiar with has landed at Southern. Thought I'd share the article. If you do not recall, LaFleur was fired from Texas State - San Marcos as part of their football troubles with the NCAA.
--------
Southern board panel taps Greg LaFleur as athletic director
By JESSICA FENDER
[email protected]
Capitol news bureau

NEW ORLEANS -- Southern University has chosen as the new athletic director, a former LSU athletics department staffer who will earn $110,000 a year if the college's Board of Supervisors approves the hire today as expected.

Greg LaFleur would replace outgoing Athletic Director Floyd Kerr.

The university decided in February not to renew Kerr's contract, which expires at the end of this month.

The incoming LaFleur would be paid about $20,000 more than Kerr earned, a difference that Southern University Chancellor Edward Jackson called "an investment."

http://2theadvocate.com/stories/061105/sou_greg001.shtml

bobcatfan06
June 11th, 2005, 06:53 PM
SU is a bunch of fools. I wish I knew how to post that picture that floats around BF.com of LaFleur playing the tuba at LSU. I remember how right after he got fired from Texas State he was working at his wife's sandwhich shop and I asked him where his boy Matsakis (ex-football coach that got fired along with LaFleur for NCAA violations) was. He didn't think it was very funny and I have never stepped foot in there again. :D

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 12th, 2005, 01:42 AM
yeah...Southern doesn't know what they've gotten themselves into. Hope he doesn't screw up their program like he (and Coach Mat-suck-ass) tried to do to Texas State.

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Wow, and folks, this isn't the smack board!

Ralph, I think those are true feelings from Bobcat fans who believe that this particular AD and his selected head football coach held them back from success, though, some would argue they have lacked success for the last 20 years at that school, though now it seems they may finally be turning the ship around...

bluedog
June 12th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Football Coach And AD Fired At Texas State

POSTED: 4:34 pm EST January 28, 2004

San Marcos, TX -- Texas State fired athletic director Greg LaFleur and football coach Manny Matsakis Wednesday after the school found NCAA rules violations during an internal investigation.

Some of the violations included extra hours of practice for the football team and problems with voluntary summer workouts. Management issues regarding the program's budget and personnel also raised red flags after the university launched the internal inquiry in December.

"The alleged violations, when taken each by themselves, are not of a large magnitude, but the number of reports over a short period of time is troubling," university president Denise Trauth said. "These reports and our concerns over the management of the football program call for this action."

Texas State finished 4-8 last season, its first season under Matsakis.

In addition, associate director of athletics Dana Craft was reassigned outside the athletic department.

bluedog
June 12th, 2005, 07:55 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 20, 2004
CHICAGO STATE UNIVERSITY NAMES GREGORY LAFLEUR AS ITS
NEW ATHLETIC DIRECTOR
CHICAGO, Illinois – Chicago State University President Dr. Elnora D.
Daniel today announced the appointment of Gregory LaFleur as the school’s new
Director of Athletics.
“LaFleur’s appointment resulted from a national search that included some
truly outstanding candidates,” said Sylvius Moore, CSU Senior Vice President for
Administrative and External Affairs and chair of the search committee. “He was one
of three finalists interviewed for the position.”
LaFleur is excited about coming to work at Chicago State University and is
looking forward to the challenge.
“I’m excited about the opportunity to come and work at Chicago State
University and help take the athletic program to another level,” LaFleur said. “It will
be a challenge, but one I’m looking forward to and I am thankful to Dr. Daniel, Mr.
Moore and the Board of Trustees for giving me this opportunity.”
Moore said LaFleur fit the profile he was looking for in an athletics director.

Greg LaFleur (http://www.csu.edu/Athletics/lafleurhiring.pdf)

bluedog
June 12th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Texas State names new Athletic Director (http://www.universitystar.com/main/article.php?aid=17)
by: Star Staff, -

Texas State began a search two months ago for a new athletic director after the removal of Greg LaFleur from that position amidst allegations of NCAA violations within the football program.

The search is over as the Bobcats have found their man to replace LaFleur, and he is Larry Teis, who has served as the associate athletic director for external affairs since 1998. Teis’ duties in that position included marketing and promotion, game management and budgeting for the department.

An official announcement of Teis as Texas State’s eighth athletic director will take place at 10 a.m. today in the Sac-N-Pac Room of the Endzone Complex.

Teis was one of five candidates interviewed for the athletic director position in 2001 when LaFleur was selected to take over for Jim Wacker, who retired from the post.

Teis came to Texas State from Texas Christian University, his alma mater, where he served in the marketing department.

On the same day LaFleur was removed from his positon, Texas State did the same with football coach Manny Matsakis and Associate Athletic Director for Internal Affairs Dana Craft, removing them of their duties.

LaFleur hired Matsakis to run the football program in Dec. 2002 after the dismissal of Bob DeBesse, but after a 13 month period in which 12 NCAA violations were found, both were let go.

David Bailiff, Texas State graduate and former defensive coordinator, was named football coach while volleyball coach Karen Chisum was named as the interim replacement for Craft.

bluedog
June 12th, 2005, 08:30 AM
But the new guy's record is not without blemish.

Texas State University in San Marcos fired LaFleur in March 2004 after the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions put the school on three-years probation.

LaFleur took over the athletic department in 2001.

It was under his watch that investigations discovered that 135 student athletes had misused $73,845 in scholarship money between 1997 and 2001, according to Texas newspapers and press releases from Texas State.

Read the story (http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/061105/sou_greg001.shtml#continue)

bobcatfan06
June 12th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Ralph, I think those are true feelings from Bobcat fans who believe that this particular AD and his selected head football coach held them back from success, though, some would argue they have lacked success for the last 20 years at that school, though now it seems they may finally be turning the ship around...

Exactly. Yes, we have sucked for 20+ but those clowns just pushed us back farther. I know that we put sanctions on ourselves that the NCAA agreed with, not for sure the exact numbers of those sanctions, but I am pretty sure we lost schollys across the board. LaFleur and Matsakis are two of the biggest crooks in college football in my opinion. I think it was more of Matsakis doing all the violations and LaFleur just cowering in his shadow (although he would have had to duck down pretty far).

bluedog
June 12th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Exactly. Yes, we have sucked for 20+ but those clowns just pushed us back farther. I know that we put sanctions on ourselves that the NCAA agreed with, not for sure the exact numbers of those sanctions, but I am pretty sure we lost schollys across the board. LaFleur and Matsakis are two of the biggest crooks in college football in my opinion. I think it was more of Matsakis doing all the violations and LaFleur just cowering in his shadow (although he would have had to duck down pretty far).

But the new guy's record is not without blemish.

Texas State University in San Marcos fired LaFleur in March 2004 after the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions put the school on three-years probation.

It was under his watch that investigations discovered that 135 student athletes had misused $73,845 in scholarship money between 1997 and 2001, according to Texas newspapers and press releases from Texas State.

Read the story (http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/061105/sou_greg001.shtml#continue)

bobcatfan06
June 12th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Ok?? You just posted the same thing twice. The investigations were done under his watch, and those were not the only violations that were found. He is gonna screw ya'll over just like he did everybody else.

bluedog
June 12th, 2005, 03:51 PM

bobcatfan06
June 12th, 2005, 04:19 PM
You can't read. It says THE INVESTIGATIONS TOOK PLACE UNDER HIS WATCH. That doesn't mean that he happened during his tenure, but he was responsible for it since he was the AD at the time of the INVESTIGATIONS. Also, this was the first time it happened. It happened again while he was AD, during the 2002 school year. Plus, why are you so adament about pointing it out? Your own newspaper wrote the article. Also, why do you think he is such a good hire? Give me 3 good reasons. You act like I'm attacking SU, which I'm not, I'm attacking SU AD, who is a crook.

bluedog
June 12th, 2005, 04:38 PM
You can't read. It says THE INVESTIGATIONS TOOK PLACE UNDER HIS WATCH. That doesn't mean that he happened during his tenure, but he was responsible for it since he was the AD at the time of the INVESTIGATIONS.

It was under his watch that investigations discovered that 135 student athletes had misused $73,845 in scholarship money between 1997 and 2001, according to Texas newspapers and press releases from Texas State

Maybe you can explain how someone is responsible for something that obviously occurred before they even set foot on the campus. One looking from the outside in with any logic would surmise that the school was looking for an escape goat.

Also, this was the first time it happened. It happened again while he was AD, during the 2002 school year.

Also, the NCAA cited the university because its football coach in 2003 held mandatory practices during the West Texas summer in excess of the NCAA rules, the reports showed.

How does this make the AD a crook?

Plus, why are you so adament about pointing it out?

Because your assessment of the event and what the newspaper state as facts don’t add up.

Your own newspaper wrote the article. Also, why do you think he is such a good hire? Give me 3 good reasons.

I don't recall any post expressing that I did.

You act like I'm attacking SU, which I'm not, I'm attacking SU AD, who is a crook.
That's an assumption and it's wrong.
:read:

bobcatfan06
June 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I never said anything about the mandantory football practices. By the way, San Marcos is far from West Texas, maybe your little newspaper needs some geography lessons. The bookstore incident happened again in 2002. Plus, this incident isn't the only thing he was fired for. He had abandoned all reasonable relationships with the city of San Marcos, alienated the entire Southland conference with comments he made about the other schools in the conference (ask TT, he knows about this), and he was SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for the hiring of the football coach who committed 12 infractions. I'm begining to wonder if you aren't LaFleur himself.

Also, the NCAA would have placed more infractions on Texas State if we had not have fired Matsakis and LaFleur. Maybe you can ask the NCAA how LaFleur was responsible for something that happened before his tenure. :bang: :deadhorse

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Bluedog is just protecting his school. He doesn't know of the kind of ego and kind of trouble that circulates around LaFleur. He's trouble Bluedog. Can't even stay at the same school. Bounces all over the place and when he's at the top, there's no one who can control him. LSU had all these Asst ADs and such around him and a guy above him. He couldn't run the show there.

He went to San Marcos, made a helluva awful hire in Mataskis. He picked Mataskis over some fine coaches. The alums were pissed. Mataskis comes in and with LaFleur creates San Marcos Clown College. Runs good student-athletes off the team. Says TxSt-San Marcos is too good for the SLC and says they have no business being there (despite obvious shortcomings in MBB and FB).

Bluedog, the evidence is stacked against him. I'd be surprised if he sticks at Southern long. Then again, it's a HBCU and they seem to have decent programs compared to the rest of the SWAC. However, if they go south fast, we can blame Greg, who I hear makes one helluva a sandwhich. Bad hirings are forthcoming in Baton Rouge!

bluedog
June 12th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I never said anything about the mandantory football practices. By the way, San Marcos is far from West Texas, maybe your little newspaper needs some geography lessons.

Ok maybe I miss something but I thought you were replying to the article I posted.

The bookstore incident happened again in 2002. Plus, this incident isn't the only thing he was fired for.

I'm not aware of any other incident all I can go by is what is available. Maybe instead of going on a rage about what kind of crook he is you can simply explain your point so it's clear.

He had abandoned all reasonable relationships with the city of San Marcos, alienated the entire Southland conference with comments he made about the other schools in the conference

Well he ought to fit right in with the Southernites, ask the other SWAC schools. (inside joke) :D

(ask TT, he knows about this), and he was SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for the hiring of the football coach who committed 12 infractions. I'm begining to wonder if you aren't LaFleur himself.

Granted he was the guy that hired the football coach but tell me how many AD's get fired because they make one bad hire. Check the SEC, ACC, Big East, etc.

Also, the NCAA would have placed more infractions on Texas State if we had not have fired Matsakis and LaFleur.

All joking aside, clearly you don't understand the structure of an athletic department if you think all the AD has to do is seat in his/her office and play watch dog. That’s the responsibility of the compliance officer.

If your school doesn’t have one or didn’t at the time shame on them. It’s the same thing as the president not being the one who actually runs the school, well kinda.

:deadhorse and leave the horse alone.

bluedog
June 12th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Bluedog is just protecting his school. He doesn't know of the kind of ego and kind of trouble that circulates around LaFleur.

Again he should fit right in. :D

He's trouble Bluedog. Can't even stay at the same school. Bounces all over the place and when he's at the top, there's no one who can control him. LSU had all these Asst ADs and such around him and a guy above him. He couldn't run the show there.

He went to San Marcos, made a helluva awful hire in Mataskis. He picked Mataskis over some fine coaches. The alums were pissed. Mataskis comes in and with LaFleur creates San Marcos Clown College. Runs good student-athletes off the team. Says TxSt-San Marcos is too good for the SLC and says they have no business being there (despite obvious shortcomings in MBB and FB).

Bluedog, the evidence is stacked against him. I'd be surprised if he sticks at Southern long. Then again, it's a HBCU and they seem to have decent programs compared to the rest of the SWAC. However, if they go south fast, we can blame Greg, who I hear makes one helluva a sandwhich. Bad hirings are forthcoming in Baton Rouge!

Bruh you, me nor anybody else have to worry about protecting Southern University. Ask Michael Grant. :D

bobcatfan06
June 12th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Trust me, you will come back to this thread in a year or two and see that I have been right all along. :)

bluedog
June 13th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Dude why not just say what you're talking about and be more specific I promise I won't tell him. Hell my guy is the one that's going out.

bobcatfan06
June 13th, 2005, 12:19 PM
There is not specific things that he does or doesn't do. It is just his demeanor, attitiude, and HUGE HEAD that makes him a bad guy. He will do ANYTHING (within NCAA rules or not) to get an advantage over anyone. Read what TT said about the ego and stuff that surrounds him.

kats89
June 13th, 2005, 01:15 PM
There is not specific things that he does or doesn't do. It is just his demeanor, attitiude, and HUGE HEAD that makes him a bad guy. He will do ANYTHING (within NCAA rules or not) to get an advantage over anyone. Read what TT said about the ego and stuff that surrounds him.

So is he going to Southern or at Chicago St?

bobcatfan06
June 13th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Southern

He went to Huston-Tillotson in Austin after he left Texas State. Then from H-T he went to Chicago St, I think. Now he is going to Southern from Chicago St. The man gets around, because we just fired him in February 2004.

bluedog
June 13th, 2005, 09:52 PM

So in other words you just don't like him because of that, kool. I felt that way about our last linebacker coach but I had more then a feeling I had facts and clear reasons.

My point again was simply whether or not he was the best AD or not any rational thinking person can't hold anyone responsible for things that were occurring before that person was hired.

Again those incidents as I said before are a compliance officer issue not an AD’s issue. Having said that the feeling here is a wait and see but not because of anything that has been writing in any newspaper.

Believe me when I say that the sports fans here are very astute and they have seen more than their share hall of famers and the high profile pressure that comes with it.

Also something I’m sure you’re not aware of but the local media here covers Southern better than any D-IAA school that I’ve seen. Newspaper, radio, tv, internet you name it they have it cover, and there in may lie part of the problem as you see it with Lefleur’s attitude.

Greg is use to big time tailgating and 65,000 plus crowd and Cajun food (not putting anybody down) and trust me when I say we do it big down in south Louisiana ask any McNeese fan.

Some other fact also is that Greg Lefleur parents are big Southernites and everyone in his family attended Southern University except for Greg so this just may be the right fit for him, only time will tell.

One thing for sure if it isn’t Southern University won’t have a problem nipping it in the bud.

txstman
June 15th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I never knew LaFleur was one to break NCAA rules and I do not think anywhere in the charges and allegation it states that he broke the rules. It happened under his watch by his hire and that is why he was shown the door with him. If he hadn't hitched his wagon to Matsakis and been the one to step up and fire him after all this came out, there would be a different light shed on the man. But Matsakis ran everyone off, and LaFleur couldn't bring them back in. Any interaction I had with LaFleur he was bright, thoughtful and quiet with a bunch of ideas.

His main downfall in my opinion is that the was narrow sighted and focus on the little things so he could not see the big picture. He was so worried about getting tailgaters to the stadium that he forgot we needed people in the stadium first. Or about getting Coke to increase the price at soda machines so the athletic department could receive more money each time a soda is bought instead of bringing in big time donors for the program.

So I wish the man luck. I hope he is able to shed the reputation he has around the Southland. Maybe he can convince Southern they need to play in the playoffs instead of classics which alienate them from DIAA football.

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 15th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Maybe he can convince Southern they need to play in the playoffs instead of classics which alienate them from DIAA football.
That will never happen. The playoffs needs to be moved back a week plus the payout needs to improve drastically. Football is a buisness not a charity.

txstman
June 15th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Don't mean for this to go off track, but have to ask the question, why should DIAA football bend scheduling based on the wants of two conferences? They just want to have their cake and eat it too.

Maybe with the new designations, rules will be adopted that failure to participate be eligible for either playoffs or bowls could effect division status.

And football is a game. Anyone who makes it more than that below DIA needs to wake up.

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 15th, 2005, 12:41 PM
And football is a game. Anyone who makes it more than that below DIA needs to wake up.
Big money can be and is being made at this level.