PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 4

carney2
September 14th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Can anyone in the Patriot League besides Fordham play this game?

And the trophy belongs to…anyone.

Anyway, it’s Ivy week, so…

Week 4 – September 21, 2013

GEORGETOWN @ Brown

Columbia @ FORDHAM

Yale @ COLGATE

BUCKNELL @ Cornell

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania

LEHIGH @ Princeton

Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS

Patriot League vs. OOC:

AAC 1-0
CAA 2-4
Mountain West 0-1
NEC 3-3
Pioneer 2-1

Most Impressive Win of the Week (Tie):

FORDHAM 30, Temple 29 – First a win over a Top 10 and now beating an FBS team. Just another day in getting your playoff ticket punched.

HOLY CROSS 52, Central Connecticut 21 – Back from the dead – with emphasis.

Most Disappointing Loss of the Week:

Marist 43, GEORGETOWN 23 – Marist is terrible. There is no way to put lipstick on this pig.

Standings (Fordham counts):

Fordham 3-0, 0-0
Lehigh 2-0, 0-0
Bucknell 1-0, 0-0
Georgetown 1-2, 0-0
Holy Cross 1-2, 0-0
Lafayette 0-2, 0-0
Colgate 0-3, 0-0

ngineer
September 14th, 2013, 10:32 PM
The pig tries to pucker up but the Bruins will do the squealing. 31-21

Yes, this could be very ugly. Do the Rams start feeling 'too' good about themselves? Closer than expected, Rams win 38-14.

Is McCartney still out? Can the 'gate really go 0-4 to start the season? Gate comes unhinged. Eli's coming. Yale a lock, 32-28

Two perennial puzzles play each other. Why can't either program get beyond mediocre? Should be 0-0 tie, but Bison find a chip to cash in, 17-10.

Leotards in deep doo-doo after taking some major hits against Tribe. Trip to Ben Franklin's playground never easy. Spotted pussies have surprised Quackers before, but not this time. The Penn is mightier that the Marquis' sword, 27-17.

Mountain Hawks frantically flying with over 1100 yards of offense in two weeks. But defense acts frantically, as well. Recent mojo against Princeton may be difference. Lehigh tames the Tigers by showing some new stripes on defense, 38-23.

Bogus Megapardus
September 14th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Geez, carney - the post Pardsville pummeling and the resulting intubation of raw scotch hasn't even sunk in. Must you remind us so quickly that we have to suffer this indignity nine more times this season?

Sader87
September 14th, 2013, 10:47 PM
I love how ngineer forgot the HC game.....you and me both brother, keep hoping these last 25 years never really happened.

Go...gate
September 14th, 2013, 10:54 PM
With McCarney and Wilkins out, the Eli may have their way in their season opener at Andy Kerr Stadium.

Bogus Megapardus
September 14th, 2013, 11:01 PM
I love how ngineer forgot the HC game.....you and me both brother, keep hoping these last 25 years never really happened.

Just remember your baptismal renewal:

Do you reject Lehigh?

I do.

And all of its works?

I do.

And all of its empty promises . . . .

crusader11
September 14th, 2013, 11:07 PM
But, all Lehigh does is win!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2013, 11:09 PM

15 Straight regular season road wins. What's the PL record?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Patriot League vs. OOC:

AAC 1-0
CAA 2-4
Mountain West 0-1
NEC 3-3
Pioneer 2-1

Can't get enough of seeing that.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Can't get enough of seeing that.

Temple, Uconn, USF and Memphis need to concentrate on hoops. The football deal just isn't working out...

bonarae
September 15th, 2013, 01:04 AM
GEORGETOWN @ Brown - well, Brown has quite improved...

Columbia @ FORDHAM- no questions asked.

Yale @ COLGATE - ditto with Fordham

BUCKNELL @ Cornell - Archer's debut will be spoiled.

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania -the fundamentals are back for the Quackers. Tavani may be humbled again.

LEHIGH @ Princeton - not even close...

Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS - can the Crusaders carry their momentum of their last game to this one?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 15th, 2013, 01:26 AM
LEHIGH @ Princeton - not even close...

Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS - can the Crusaders carry their momentum of their last game to this one?

You have a lot more faith in Lehigh than a lot of Lehigh fans.

And - wait a second - did the Cross make their schedule this way on purpose? "They'll be so demoralized after their heartbreaking losses to Lehigh, games against Monmouth and CCSU will be a breeze!" xlolx

ColgateTD
September 15th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Break up the Saders!

RichH2
September 15th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Will McCarney play or not. I'll wait

carney2
September 15th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Will McCarney play or not. I'll wait

So, you're not buying that report the other day that he suffered shoulder separations (plural) plus a MCL (knee) injury? But I forgot, you're from that generation where men were men. "Just slap a band-aid on it and send him back in."

RichH2
September 15th, 2013, 10:24 AM
So, you're not buying that report the other day that he suffered shoulder separations (plural) plus a MCL (knee) injury? But I forgot, you're from that generation where men were men. "Just slap a band-aid on it and send him back in."

xnodxGuess so... back then you got your bell rung, dont think coaches ever heard of concussions. Spained knee, ethyl chloride spray and more tape standard remedy. Since he was suited up this week my guess is he may play. if sprained knee stable. If knee restricts mobility, he is a sitting duck behind Gate OL.

Skyhawk71
September 15th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Georgetown @ Brown
Columbia @ Fordham
Yale @ Colgate
Bucknell @ Cornell
Lafayette @ Penn
Lehigh @ Princeton
Monmouth @ Holy Cross

carney2
September 15th, 2013, 11:57 AM
xnodxGuess so... back then you got your bell rung, dont think coaches ever heard of concussions. Spained knee, ethyl chloride spray and more tape standard remedy. Since he was suited up this week my guess is he may play. if sprained knee stable. If knee restricts mobility, he is a sitting duck behind Gate OL.

I was ready to make my famously incorrect picks, but your news that McCarney was suited up at UNH puts things on hold. Yale is not very good, and with McCarney vs. without McCarney really swings this game.

RichH2
September 15th, 2013, 11:58 AM
xbowxBTW Interest in football soaring on Bucknell Board,first sighting of a football post. Oh,... it was about Fordhamxshhhx

carney2
September 15th, 2013, 12:14 PM
GEORGETOWN @ Brown – I know nothing about Brown. The Hoyas lost to Marist. That’s enough information for me.

Columbia @ FORDHAM – This one will be over as soon as the teams leave the locker rooms. No, earlier. How about when the sun comes up.

Yale @ COLGATE – McCarney plays…McCarney doesn’t play. McCarney plays…McCarney doesn’t… Yale is bad, but I’m saying that even if McCarney plays he won’t be close enough to 100% to get it done. So much for keeping things on hold.

BUCKNELL @ Cornell – Coin flip. Going with the team that’s already played a game.

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania – Pards have shown nothing but bad coaching. Always Penn’s first game in this series has led to something of a curse in reverse. It’s a new year, and even Bungling Bagnoli can’t stop this train wreck.

LEHIGH @ Princeton – Tigger’s first game. Featherheads appear to be a paper Squawk with no D. Tough call. Going with the home team.

Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS – Taking a chance that the rumor of the ‘saders death was greatly exaggerated.

SingForever
September 15th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Princeton has already played a game, losing to Mansfield State.ehigh by 35.

jdb037
September 15th, 2013, 05:42 PM
xbowxBTW Interest in football soaring on Bucknell Board,first sighting of a football post. Oh,... it was about Fordhamxshhhx

I'm with you wishing there was more interest but with only 2-3 people on the board who genuinely care, me being one of them, it would just be 137 talking to himself

RichH2
September 15th, 2013, 05:58 PM
I'm with you wishing there was more interest but with only 2-3 people on the board who genuinely care, me being one of them, it would just be 137 talking to himself
Still jealous of you Bball participation tho

Pard4Life
September 15th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Isn't everyone forgetting how bad Yale is? McC or no..

And there seems to be general dismissal of Princeton, even by the Ivy guys. Tigger is a very good team and I suspect that Saucre will eat Lehigh D alive. The fact that this is Tigers first game prevents a romp.

RichH2
September 15th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Well close enuf, Princeton game close last yr and Tigers better this yr,theoretically, and LU not yet. Yale not good at all but not a total cupcake. With McCarney fairly easy win for Gate w/o him will be a nailbiter IMO

DFW HOYA
September 15th, 2013, 06:41 PM
GEORGETOWN @ Brown – I know nothing about Brown. The Hoyas lost to Marist. That’s enough information for me.

Georgetown likes the Ivy games even if the results aren't very good. In the Kelly years, Georgetown is 1-11 vs. Ivy teams. If you go back to all-time records, the Hoyas have won only three ever against Ancient Eight teams (Dartmouth 1916, Cornell 2003, Princeton 2012).

As for other numbers, Georgetown was 7-0 vs. Marist in the MAAC era, now 5-4 in the PL era.

ngineer
September 15th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Apologies for overlooking the One Eyed, One Horned Flying Purple People Eaters of Worcester. The 'eyes' have it as sader-masochism kicks in, 27-17.

Go...gate
September 15th, 2013, 06:55 PM

Do you reject Lehigh?

I do.

And all of its works?

I do.

I love it..... xprayx

Go...gate
September 15th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Princeton has already played a game, losing to Mansfield State.ehigh by 35.

That was the 150 lb. football team.

Tribal
September 15th, 2013, 07:15 PM

1-8 against William & Mary. xpeacex

A shame we no longer play Lehigh...played each other every year from '84-'92.

DFW HOYA
September 15th, 2013, 07:20 PM
That was the 150 lb. football team.

The Princeton sprint (nee lightweight) team has been down for so long it puts Columbia's 1980's futility to shame.

Put another way, they have not won a sanctioned game in 15 years, and lost to Mansfield to open this season this weekend. The streak cited in the article below is now at 81.

http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2012/09/princeton_u_sprint_football_se.html

Fordham
September 15th, 2013, 07:24 PM

Do you reject Lehigh?

I do.

And all of its works?

I do.

<golf clap>

Pards Rule
September 15th, 2013, 08:41 PM
1-8 against William & Mary. xpeacex

A shame we no longer play Lehigh...played each other every year from '84-'92.

Hey we be 1-1 against Tribe :)

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 15th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Week 4 – September 21, 2013

Georgetown 21 @ BROWN 28

Columbia 7 @ FORDHAM 42

Yale 24 @ COLGATE 35

Bucknell 24 @ CORNELL 27

LAFAYETTE 17 @ Pennsylvania 14

LEHIGH 32 @ Princeton 12

Monmouth 24 @ HOLY CROSS 25

carney2
September 16th, 2013, 07:56 AM
No one has mentioned it, so Let me be the first. Lehigh is entering the make-or-break portion of its schedule. If they have anything they need to show it NOW vs. Princeton, New Hampshire and Fordham. I'm thinking that 1-2 is the best they can do through this stretch, and 0-3 is quite possible.

RichH2
September 16th, 2013, 08:13 AM
True, obvious qustion is will D improve enuf to have at least some impact on these games. On paper as of today 1-2 not unreasonable. Princeton was a very close win last yr. LU's issue so far has been mistakes. Missed opportunities on O. O can be very good but not yet even close to consistent. D also a ridiculous number of errors. There our DL has been overmatched in both games. None of our 3 opponents has a dominant D so expect all will be shootous.Too a certain extent we will have to rely on their errors to win any of them Today's Morning Call interview with Andy relevant. Andy basically predicts a season of nailbiters.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 16th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Seems like an appropriate time to post my "Sunday Word" here, which is similar in tone to Keith's interview:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/09/is-this-lehigh-squad-living-on-borrowed.html

"Borrowed Time"

carney2
September 16th, 2013, 08:40 AM
True, obvious qustion is will D improve enuf to have at least some impact on these games. On paper as of today 1-2 not unreasonable. Princeton was a very close win last yr. LU's issue so far has been mistakes. Missed opportunities on O. O can be very good but not yet even close to consistent. D also a ridiculous number of errors. There our DL has been overmatched in both games. None of our 3 opponents has a dominant D so expect all will be shootous.Too a certain extent we will have to rely on their errors to win any of them Today's Morning Call interview with Andy relevant. Andy basically predicts a season of nailbiters.

The only way the Squawks beat Princeton is because it's Tigger's first game. In the other two they are the proverbial snowball in hell.

heath
September 16th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Rumor is that Kent Rockwell gave his millions to get Tavani out?????xrolleyesx PL goes 3-3 against Ivies and Holy Cross gets a W

SingForever
September 16th, 2013, 09:55 AM
LOL. I thought they looked like a bunch of midgets out there. My mistake

CrusaderBob
September 16th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Aaaand how would that would be different from status quo??

:) ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2013, 12:30 PM
The only way the Squawks beat Princeton is because it's Tigger's first game. In the other two they are the proverbial snowball in hell.

Lehigh owns Fordham like Princeton owns you....The Rams are the ones who have to get over the hump.

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Lehigh owns Fordham like Princeton owns you....The Rams are the ones who have to get over the hump.

Normally that is true, like Colgate owning Lafayette, but even a bad Colgate team can't beat a decent Lafayette team... same was true with Harvard. So, even though Rams struggle vs. Lehigh, Lehigh is not exactly good this year. I don't think Rams overlook Lehigh either... they know what they are up against.

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Princeton is going to surprise people this year. Starting with Lehigh. The Lehigh DL is going to get handled.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Princeton is going to surprise people this year. Starting with Lehigh. The Lehigh DL is going to get handled.

...and Lehigh should be able to expose the Princeton D, it's going to be a heckuva game again

RichH2
September 16th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Not likely P4L ,word is LU going with 7 LBs instead.xbopx

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Brown
Fordham
Yale
Cornell
Lehigh
Penn
Holy Cross

heath
September 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
When YOUR front 7 is giving up 284 yards on the ground/game...........really? again? Lehigh bashingxlolx Must be tough times in Easton

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2013, 01:02 PM
When YOUR front 7 is giving up 284 yards on the ground/game...........really? again? Lehigh bashingxlolx Must be tough times in Easton

Must you think every comment that I say is an intentional shot at Lehigh? xeyebrowx The past two games have not exactly been great... over 500+ yards for Monmouth and 400+ vs. CCSU. And, Princeton runs a very up tempo attack.

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Not likely P4L ,word is LU going with 7 LBs instead.xbopx

I wish we would do that. Well, we had 2 DLs and a LB last week.

Franks Tanks
September 16th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Lehigh will find a way to win. Lafayette will find a way to lose. Colgate owns the Ivy League. Sader 87 will think it was better in the good old days. The sun will rise.

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Fordham's win got me thinking.... whatever happened to AbolishFordhamFootball (AFF) and Minion? Does anyone even know what I'm talking about? xlolx

So persistent that it became funny...

carney2
September 16th, 2013, 01:40 PM
even a bad Colgate team can't beat a decent Lafayette team.

Wanna bet? Tavani and his DC, John Loose, are completely baffled by whatever Biddle chooses to do and whomever he chooses to do it for him.

carney2
September 16th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Fordham's win got me thinking.... whatever happened to AbolishFordhamFootball (AFF) and Minion? Does anyone even know what I'm talking about? xlolx

So persistent that it became funny...

I remember. He/they were an early version of Sader87.

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Lehigh will find a way to win. Lafayette will find a way to lose. Colgate owns the Ivy League. Sader 87 will think it was better in the good old days. The sun will rise.

You slay me, FranksTanks!xlolxxbowx

Sader87
September 16th, 2013, 02:41 PM
My, my but aren't the denizens of Pardville getting very cranky these days???

If it's any consolation, there's only about 5 or 6 months or so to go before you'll inevitably end our basketball season yet again.

crusader11
September 16th, 2013, 02:55 PM
If it's any consolation, there's only about 5 or 6 months or so to go before you'll inevitably end our basketball season yet again.

Please allow me to enjoy the next two months of football before the Milan Brown Show begins again for its fourth season.

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2013, 03:17 PM
My, my but aren't the denizens of Pardville getting very cranky these days???

Cranky? I am about to riot.

And yes, our hoops team will be good. Top 3 maybe.

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Wanna bet? Tavani and his DC, John Loose, are completely baffled by whatever Biddle chooses to do and whomever he chooses to do it for him.

Well we beat a bad Colgate team in 2006. And in 2009, yes Loose was clueless, but we at least had Rob Curley...

And 2007, we blew a 21-3 lead, er Frankosaur'd a 21-3 lead.

And in 2008 we settled for FGs from inside the 10 and Gate won 21-13... and Rob Curley was knocked out by a dirty hit.

And in 2011 we won in OT.

And in 2012 we gave up 65...

RichH2
September 16th, 2013, 03:34 PM
An Minion a memory best forgotten.

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I remember. He/they were an early version of Sader87.

xlolx

carney2
September 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Well we beat a bad Colgate team in 2006. And in 2009, yes Loose was clueless, but we at least had Rob Curley...

And 2007, we blew a 21-3 lead, er Frankosaur'd a 21-3 lead.

And in 2008 we settled for FGs from inside the 10 and Gate won 21-13... and Rob Curley was knocked out by a dirty hit.

And in 2011 we won in OT.

And in 2012 we gave up 65...

Average points scored by Colgate against Lafayette in this decade (all would be against Frankie and Johnny) = 33. I rest my case.

Bogus Megapardus
September 16th, 2013, 06:03 PM
there's only about 5 or 6 months or so to go before you'll inevitably end our basketball season yet again.

There's really no rational explanation for why this keeps happening - maybe O'Hanlon has had your locker room bugged for the last five years. xcoolx

Bogus Megapardus
September 16th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Massey Predictions -

Penn 28 Frankosarous 21

Brown 30 Port-a-Johns 12

Bronx 37 Columbia 20

Dentifrice 33 Yale 26

Doctors 22 Cornell 21

Scratch n' Sniffs 28 Princeton 27

Infidels 38 Monmouth 24

TheValleyRaider
September 16th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Rough week last week as I went 2-4, down to 8-9 for the season xeekx Time to get it in gear, and just in time for the Ivies

Georgetown at Brown Brown Just when I was ready to jump on the Hoya wagon, they give every reason to stay off. Losing to Marist is one thing (not a good thing, mind you), but getting thumped in the manner they were? Look out. Coming on the heels of Bucknell's win the previous week, and a return to the PL basement is suddenly very much in the cards for G'town. And now comes Brown. Though certainly removed from their stretch of competing for (and winning) Ivy titles, Bruno is usually above-average in the League. A Hoya victory would certainly say good things about their prospects for the rest of the season, but would you bet on it right now?

Columbia at Fordham Fordham Let's be honest here, it's not as if any of us were going to pick Columbia before the Temple win. Or even the Villanova one. The Rams were going to be heavy favorites one way or another. That being said, I guess Fordham will have to guard against the letdown sure to follow after their big AAC victory. And after the first quarter has passed, that should be pretty much it for the Lions.

Yale at Colgate Colgate Lots of bridge-jumping from the rest of the League over the Raiders, and while no one feels good about the 0-fer start, Yale? Seriously? McCarney is a big loss, and with no real word on his status for this one, you could be forgiven for suggesting the 'Gate might struggle. But this is the same Yale team we crushed last year, and now it's in Hamilton. One less turnover, and the Raiders might beat Albany, and few of you would be throwing out a 1-2 team the same way you are an 0-3. UNH is on a different level, but so is Yale, and that one's not necessarily a complement. Raiders to the win column.

Bucknell at Cornell Cornell Normally this would be an advantage for the Bison, having been playing for several weeks. But Susan's squad has just one game under their belt, a win against Marist. With exactly one more game on the ledger than Big Red, that advantage seems to go away. Cornell is the Ivies' traditional mediocrity, and is there really reason to believe they will rise above that this year? Still, the Bison haven't beaten SUNY-Ithaca since 2006, and haven't won above Cayuga's waters since 1995. As always, I'll be pulling for you, Bucknell, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Lafayette at Pennsylvania Pennsylvania As always, I tread lightly when it comes to picking Lafayette, their 2010 victory over the Quakers being Exhibit A. Depression set in pretty early in Pardville this season, though I can't say I was surprised by them losing to William & Mary, even the way they did. Lafayette always seems to have one trick up their sleeve over the course of a season, and though winning 5 of the last 6 says one thing, picking them against the Ivy favorite seems like the wrong one to guess on. Or maybe it's not... Whatever, picking Penn and hoping for the best.

Lehigh at Princeton Lehigh The League's other unbeaten, though it sure doesn't feel like that. Two close victories, including a pretty substantial comeback, have the Mountain Hawks once again 2-0 and looking for more with the Ivies on tap. Lehigh certainly looks soft this year, and Princeton appears to be improving. Usual caveats about first games definitely apply to the Tigers here, but so do the difficulties of going on the road. Is Lehigh weaker this season? That sure seems to be the case. Is that necessarily enough for me to anticipate their fall by going for Princeton? Not so much. The Hawks have too many victories, and too many recent ones against old Nassau, to lose that confidence. Yet.

Monmouth at Holy Cross Holy Cross Rumors of the Crusaders' demise are exaggerated, and yours truly was part of that. Using the infallible logic of transitive scores, Lehigh should get ready for a 20-point beat down on 11/9 (I gave the Hawks a FG for home field). Okay, maybe I'm not prepared to say that, but a convincing win over these Hawks could certainly plant more than a few seeds of doubt in everyone's mind. Of course it could have just been a false dawn, and HC will go back to faltering this week. Probably not good to make too many guesses on November games here in September. For now, home team HC gets the job done.

Go...gate
September 16th, 2013, 07:54 PM

You guys beat us a couple years ago in a wild one.

carney2
September 16th, 2013, 08:10 PM
You guys beat us a couple years ago in a wild one.

I point out again the Raiders have averaged - AVERAGED - 33 pts. per game against Lafayette since 2000. Tavani and his DC cannot figure it out. One would think that after all these years they'd either (a) get the hang of it or (b) have finding the answer high on their list of off season priorities. Apparently not.

carney2
September 16th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Lafayette always seems to have one trick up their sleeve over the course of a season, though losing 5 of the last 6 against the Ivy favorite seems like the wrong one to guess on.

You've got it backasswards. The Pards have inexplicably beaten the Quacks 5 of the last 6 years. It's probably that first game thing, but Bungling Al Bagnoli has had a hand in most of these. I posted this on the Lafayette site, but it is so incredibly goofy that it deserves a second hit:

In 2007 Bungling Al took an intentional safety late in the 4th that allowed the Leopards to squeak out an 8-7 victory with just two field goals and virtually no offense.

In 2008 we witnessed the incredible Triumph of The Frankosaur when the Leopards stormed to a commanding first half lead, and then watched our mustachioed Jurassic man try to play 30 minutes of control the clock football, using a prevent defense and his brand new 3-and-out prevent offense. Despite the W, it was a new high in low.

In 2011 Bagnoli was caught with his pants down by Air Shoop.

Last year was an enemy identification clinic as the Quacks were intercepted 7 times.

You just can't beat a Lafayette-Penn game for bad coaching and bad football.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 16th, 2013, 09:42 PM
You just can't beat a Lafayette-Penn game for bad coaching and bad football.

Surprised this catchphrase hasn't caught on and been posted on a billboard on the Schuykill Expresssway.

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Surprised this catchphrase hasn't caught on and been posted on a billboard on the Schuykill Expresssway.

It would be better than that darn Temple one before Conshohocken... had a laugh when I saw Fordham on it last week.. now... well I guess Football Saturday's in Philly now refers to Penn.

TheValleyRaider
September 16th, 2013, 10:54 PM
You've got it backasswards. The Pards have inexplicably beaten the Quacks 5 of the last 6 years. It's probably that first game thing, but Bungling Al Bagnoli has had a hand in most of these. I posted this on the Lafayette site, but it is so incredibly goofy that it deserves a second hit

Quite right, I got that one perfectly wrong xlolx

I used CFBDatawarehouse, and was reading Penn's history not Lafayette's. Should have picked that one up, oh well. Not enough to change the pick though, if anything it makes my usual distrust of picking any Leopard game seem perfectly reasonable

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2013, 05:06 AM
It would be better than that darn Temple one before Conshohocken... had a laugh when I saw Fordham on it last week.. now... well I guess Football Saturday's in Philly now refers to Penn.

Saw that one over the summer and I was like OUCH for Fordham but they showed us...Good job Rams!

Fordhamanhattan
September 17th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Before I give my picks, I would like to comment on the fray in Philadelphia on Saturday last. For one who has been following the Maroon since 1970 and the emergence from Club to Division III, this game was truly satisfying. But it was particularly special for guys even older than me. None more than Andy Lukac FC '51 who was at the Linc. Andy whose father died in a Pennsylvania coal mine came to Fordham after first going to Notre Dame then the U.S. Army. He became captain of our once beaten 1950 team(with assistant coach Vince Lombardi) which beat the Gino Marchetti, Bill Stanfill, Ollie Matson, Ed Brown etc. University of San Francisco team. The Temple game was truly special for him because his brother had played at Temple for Pop Warner. I am also happy for Patriot League football. We have been treated like a step-child on occasion, so that allowed us the latitude to go against the tide and push for scholarships which will raise the level of all. I like this league. The teams have sex appeal unlike so many of these eastern North Dakota or Southwestern Northeastern Utah State.
the picks:
Providence pretentious and not quite Ivy over the once Jesuits
the tube over the Eli (home game)
The Worcestor hilltoppers over the Jersey Shorers
The Lake side eleven over the central Pennsylvainians
William Penn's boys over the spotted ones
the erstwhile engineers over F Scott's Boys

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Before I give my picks, I would like to comment on the fray in Philadelphia on Saturday last. For one who has been following the Maroon since 1970 and the emergence from Club to Division III, this game was truly satisfying. But it was particularly special for guys even older than me. None more than Andy Lukac FC '51 who was at the Linc. Andy whose father died in a Pennsylvania coal mine came to Fordham after first going to Notre Dame then the U.S. Army. He became captain of our once beaten 1950 team(with assistant coach Vince Lombardi) which beat the Gino Marchetti, Bill Stanfill, Ollie Matson, Ed Brown etc. University of San Francisco team. The Temple game was truly special for him because his brother had played at Temple for Pop Warner. I am also happy for Patriot League football. We have been treated like a step-child on occasion, so that allowed us the latitude to go against the tide and push for scholarships which will raise the level of all. I like this league. The teams have sex appeal unlike so many of these eastern North Dakota or Southwestern Northeastern Utah State.
the picks:

Thanks for the great kind words about the league we all love. Really enjoyed the reference to "sex appeal" and the PL, probably the first time that's ever been uttered. Of course, you may only have been referring to P4L's avatar. xlolx

Fordhamanhattan
September 17th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I remember when Fordham joined the Patriot league, one old fellow said; "Oh so you want to rub elbows with the WASPS". But I disagreed noticed last year that Columbia had more players from Roman schools and Jesuit schools then Fordham.

crusader11
September 17th, 2013, 10:15 AM
4-2 last week and 12-5 on the year...

GEORGETOWN @ Brown -- Georgetown looked like the Georgetown of old last weekend. And that's really bad. It's a damn shame that TPTB in DC won't make a commitment to this program. It looked like Kevin Kelly was close to turning the corner with this program. Imagine if they actually had a real football stadium and the full allotment of scholarships? Anyways, looks like they'll get smoked by Brown.

Columbia @ FORDHAM -- No commentary needed.

Yale @ COLGATE -- Colgate has played two very good teams, and one so-so team. Yale isn't great, and even if McCarney doesn't play, I still think the Raiders are better than Yale.

BUCKNELL @ Cornell -- With what I have seen out of Patriot League teams after three weeks, I really think that Bucknell has a legitimate shot at winning the league this year. They have easily the best defense in the league, and if the offense made strides in the offseason, they will win some games this year.

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania -- If all of 'Pardville is picking Penn to win, why should I choose otherwise?

LEHIGH @ Princeton -- Tigger may contend for the Ivy League this year. Lehigh is fraudulent.

Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS -- The Saders are starting to put it together!

carney2
September 17th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Folks actually making picks of the games on this thread. What a novel idea.

crusader11
September 17th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Folks actually making picks of the games on this thread. What a novel idea.

The off-color banter usually doesn't usually pick up until Thursday or Friday. Trying to bring this thread back to the topic, at least for the time being.

RichH2
September 17th, 2013, 10:51 AM
AWW, just a pause in our usual stream of conciousness mode. Trust one of us will hijack the thread soon

Bogus Megapardus
September 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM
My picks for this week are going to be presented in a somewhat interesting, and certainly novel, style. I still can't see the harm in talking PL football but still making it an interesting read.

RichH2
September 17th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Cosmological constants being what they are, Chaos Theory mandates random change even in PL threads. Just saying....

Fordhamanhattan
September 17th, 2013, 11:31 AM
This Fordham man is starting to get a little nervous about COLUMBIA. The Lions qb is now Brett Nottingham who transferred from Stanford where he once once a 4 star recruit and 2nd string to the current Colts qb. Also Josh Martin who played d end for the Lions last year made the Chiefs.

PAllen
September 17th, 2013, 11:32 AM
GEORGETOWN @ Brown

Columbia @ FORDHAM

Yale @ COLGATE

BUCKNELL @ Cornell

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania

LEHIGH @ Princeton

Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS

Lafayette let me down last week. Hey, I needed separation. I just wanted it the other way.

Anyway, Lafayette's got to win sometime. So the PL finally bounces back as a group with a sweep this week.

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2013, 11:45 AM
This Fordham man is starting to get a little nervous about COLUMBIA. The Lions qb is now Brett Nottingham who transferred from Stanford where he once once a 4 star recruit and 2nd string to the current Colts qb. Also Josh Martin who played d end for the Lions last year made the Chiefs.

Columbia always gives Fordham a close game. During seasons where Fordham has been very good and Columbia very poor, there have been close scores. During Fordham's 2002 title run, I think the Lions won 13-11. However, I think the talent dispairity is too wide to make this a close game, especially on Lions D. Yale also had a former FBS QB from Nebraska and he was not able to help the Eli win many games. The Lafayette defense aka The Sieve was able to contain Witt somewhat.

Bill
September 17th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I'm embarrassed to look at my running total so far...here goes another week:

GEORGETOWN @ Brown

Columbia @ FORDHAM

YALE @ Colgate
Bucknell @ CORNELL

Lafayette @ Pennsylvania

LEHIGH @ Princeton

Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Columbia always gives Fordham a close game. During seasons where Fordham has been very good and Columbia very poor, there have been close scores. During Fordham's 2002 title run, I think the Lions won 13-11. However, I think the talent dispairity is too wide to make this a close game, especially on Lions D. Yale also had a former FBS QB from Nebraska and he was not able to help the Eli win many games. The Lafayette defense aka The Sieve was able to contain Witt somewhat.

That Yale team was one of the least motivated I've ever seen come to Lehigh. On paper they were a very good team, but in practice they appeared to me simply going through the motions. Maybe it has something to do with their "championship" of the Ivy League, to the exclusion of their OOC schedule that could have been considered glorified exhibition games to them, I'm not sure, but I was really struck by it.

Either that or Tom Williams wasn't coaching them very well. There were a lot of off-the-field distractions for sure, not least Williams' lying about his resume to Yale.

RichH2
September 17th, 2013, 12:10 PM
xrolleyesx and Chaos returns.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Chaos. It's what Bogie and I do. xlolx

Sader87
September 17th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Did I ever tell you guys how good the 1987 HC football team was????

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2013, 01:27 PM

xbawlingx ... I'd rather watch vacation slides...

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2013, 01:31 PM
That Yale team was one of the least motivated I've ever seen come to Lehigh. On paper they were a very good team, but in practice they appeared to me simply going through the motions. Maybe it has something to do with their "championship" of the Ivy League, to the exclusion of their OOC schedule that could have been considered glorified exhibition games to them, I'm not sure, but I was really struck by it.

Either that or Tom Williams wasn't coaching them very well. There were a lot of off-the-field distractions for sure, not least Williams' lying about his resume to Yale.

The Ivies arrogantly recruit that way i.e. you are competing for the Ivy title! The premier league! But, who can blame them... what are you competing against when you can't win a national title? And, these are new kids without sense of institutional tradition. My motivation would be "to beat Yale" but you have to be an alum/student first to want that motivation. So, chicken vs. egg. Hey as a Lafayette guy, my only motivation this season is to 1) Beat Lehigh 2) Beat Penn 3) Embarrass Georgetown

Maybe it was just Yale... we took care of them, and we stunk. Harvard and Princeton and even Columbia certainly don't have the indifferent approach.

RichH2
September 17th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Did I ever tell you guys how good the 1987 HC football team was????xlolxxlolx

Please do ,in excruciating detail.

CrusaderBob
September 17th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Chaos. It's what Bogie and I do. xlolx

Guess that would make both of you Agents of KAOS

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2971765847_6a84c9d07c.jpg

Zis is KAOS! Ve don't make picks here!

JimboCBA72
September 17th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Pard is absolutely right. Lions always seem to give us a hard time and did indeed beat us 13-11 in our first PL championship season. However, this is homecoming and we are playing to retain the Liberty Cup which commemorates alums from both schools who lost their lives on 9/11. So after a sluggish start I think the boys get their act together and take care of Columbia without too much trouble. It's the following week against St. Francis that has me worried.

CFBfan
September 17th, 2013, 02:18 PM

the only thing to be nervous about is taking them way too lighltly...and FU still wins!! Nova and Temple have a lot more "players" than the Lions.

Go Green
September 17th, 2013, 02:35 PM
This Fordham man is starting to get a little nervous about COLUMBIA. The Lions qb is now Brett Nottingham who transferred from Stanford where he once once a 4 star recruit and 2nd string to the current Colts qb.

Two of the all time best QBs in Ivy League history were Columbia's John Witkowski ('83) and Cornell's Jeff Mathews (a current senior).

Between their careers, they will probably end up with 30,000 yards and 10 victories.

If Nottingham doesn't have good people around him, expect him to be part of that club.

Sader87
September 17th, 2013, 03:16 PM
2009218]Two of the all time best QBs in Ivy League history were Columbia's John Witkowski ('83) and Cornell's Jeff Mathews (a current senior).
[/B]
Between their careers, they will probably end up with 30,000 yards and 10 victories.

If Nottingham doesn't have good people around him, expect him to be part of that club.

Whither B D????

Go Green
September 17th, 2013, 03:26 PM

Whither B D????

He played in an era where teams weren't throwing 40 times a game. He only shows up in passing efficiency and TDs among career Ivy leaders. The Ivy career passing record list goes 40 players deep, and Dowling isn't on it.

Of course, he won plenty of games (and tied one). At the end of the day, that's what matters. :)

Go...gate
September 17th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Before I give my picks, I would like to comment on the fray in Philadelphia on Saturday last. For one who has been following the Maroon since 1970 and the emergence from Club to Division III, this game was truly satisfying. But it was particularly special for guys even older than me. None more than Andy Lukac FC '51 who was at the Linc. Andy whose father died in a Pennsylvania coal mine came to Fordham after first going to Notre Dame then the U.S. Army. He became captain of our once beaten 1950 team(with assistant coach Vince Lombardi) which beat the Gino Marchetti, Bill Stanfill, Ollie Matson, Ed Brown etc. University of San Francisco team. The Temple game was truly special for him because his brother had played at Temple for Pop Warner. I am also happy for Patriot League football. We have been treated like a step-child on occasion, so that allowed us the latitude to go against the tide and push for scholarships which will raise the level of all. I like this league. The teams have sex appeal unlike so many of these Eastern North Dakota or Southwestern Northeastern Utah State.
the picks:

I understand that Eastern North Dakota AND Southwestern Northeastern Utah State have been in discussions to join the SoCon.....

Seriously, your post is terrific. There are those of us who have suppported the Patriot League since the Colonial League's formation back in late '83. I still think it is a great conference that has its priorities in order.

Go...gate
September 17th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Two of the all time best QBs in Ivy League history were Columbia's John Witkowski ('83) and Cornell's Jeff Mathews (a current senior).

Don't forget Princeton's Bob Holly and Doug Butler.

Go...gate
September 17th, 2013, 04:21 PM

And they were great, indeed. Just an awesome club.

jayhawkdaddy
September 17th, 2013, 07:40 PM
GEORGETOWN @ Brown

Columbia @ FORDHAM

Yale @ COLGATE

BUCKNELL @ Cornell

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania

LEHIGH @ Princeton

Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS

ColgateTD
September 17th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Brown over Hoyas
Fordham over Lions
Cornell over Bison
Penn over Pards
Lehigh over Tigers
Holy Cross over ___(not sure what they call themselves)
Colgate over Eli - homer/homecoming pick here; if Biddle goes to 0-4 expect the alums to mutiny.

13-4 on the season

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Whats the line on the Penn-Pard game?

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2013, 08:16 PM
GEORGETOWN @ Brown -- Georgetown looked like the Georgetown of old last weekend. And that's really bad. It's a damn shame that TPTB in DC won't make a commitment to this program. It looked like Kevin Kelly was close to turning the corner with this program. Imagine if they actually had a real football stadium and the full allotment of scholarships? Anyways, looks like they'll get smoked by Brown.

The PTB aren't in the discussion at Georgetown.

Remember, Georgetown has made a commitment; it's just a nonscholarship one.

RichH2
September 17th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Ok, DFW how about a fully funded need program at least

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2013, 09:07 PM

How can a discussion about all-time great Columbia QBs not include Cliff Montgomery? RF-79? 1934 Rose Bowl?

JD has to be on that list, stats be cursed. Saw the 1968 H-Y footage and he was darn good, was kind of surprised.

Fitzpatrick of Harvard has to be on that list too.

Come to think of it, not many great Ivy QBs. Mostly great RBs come to mind with Ivy.

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2013, 09:10 PM
There have been exactly zero comments on the Pard board re Penn today. Only one yesterday and I think that was c2. Very unusual for us. Can you say "not very excited for this one?"

I'm only going for the area food and Franklin Field atmosphere. Just so happens we are playing.

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Go ahead people.. Keep picking Lehigh over Tigger.

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Week 4 picks, sung to James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James"
(Those of you born after 1975 or so can simply move on; you've never heard of it)

Well, there is a young Hoya who needs a new range
'Cause weeds and old fences still find him embarrassed
None sees any sense how he's hammered by Marist
And Bruins will ruin his dream of a change

But as the tide rises on the cool Jersey shore
Awash with Armani and plastic-cup beer
His brothers from Worcester will roll up the score
While thirteen Chenangans ring loud and sing clear:
The Eli have someone to fear

(Chorus)
So go light you uptight Ivies
On high and so might'ly sublime
Pard white and maroon are the colors in doom
While we huddle the very first time
With a playbook from nineteen-oh-nine

So it's now late September as autumn winds blow
Yes and slow was the subway from Inwood to Fordham
The girls made ta' Coffey 'cause they all adored 'em:
Ten Lions behind him and one more to go

There's a stain on the chronies of the Mountain Hawk o-line
It's plain that Ol' Nassau plays better defense
And when do the wristbands have tangents and cosines
And conjugate Latin in pluperfect tense?
The Nell cousins' way to make sense of it

(Chorus)
So do right you milk-white Ivies
And shed all that sched'ling fear
Maxwell's Equation on such an occasion
Will draw us each fall to the near
So rockabye Ivy, my dear

http://youtu.be/v2EZUw2mvjs?rel=0

Ivytalk
September 18th, 2013, 06:14 AM
How can a discussion about all-time great Columbia QBs not include Cliff Montgomery? RF-79? 1934 Rose Bowl?

JD has to be on that list, stats be cursed. Saw the 1968 H-Y footage and he was darn good, was kind of surprised.

Fitzpatrick of Harvard has to be on that list too.

Come to think of it, not many great Ivy QBs. Mostly great RBs come to mind with Ivy.

Mike Fiedler of Dartmouth had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

TheValleyRaider
September 18th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Week 4 picks, sung to James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James"
(Those of you born after 1975 or so can simply move on; you've never heard of it)

Fantastic

Should we stay tuned later in the year for "Frisco, Texas in my mind"?

Go Green
September 18th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Jay Fiedler of Dartmouth had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

FTFY.

"Cup of coffee?" The guy is the third leading career passer for the Dolphins behind Marino and Griese.

Go Green
September 18th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Don't forget Princeton's Bob Holly and Doug Butler.

There have been plenty of great Ivy QBs. Certainly Holly and Butler are up there.

I was only singling out Witkowski and Mathews as excellent QBs with monster stats who played for lousy teams. Whether or not Nottingham joins that list depends on whether Columbia has some more guys who can play.

Go Green
September 18th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Whats the line on the Penn-Pard game?

One site says Penn is a 10 point favorite.

http://www.sportbet.com/lines/football_college_extra

I'd take Lafayette and the points.

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Sportsbook - Week 4:

Brown (-16) at Georgetown

Colgate (-10½) vs Yale

Fordham (-20½) vs Columbia

Cornell (-3) vs Bucknell

Holy Cross (-7½) vs Monmouth

Princeton (-3½) vs Lehigh

Penn (-10) vs Lafayette

Dartmoth (-6½) at Butler

Harvard (-12½) at San Diego

RichH2
September 18th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Sportsbook - Week 4:

Brown (-16) at Georgetown

Colgate (-10½) vs Yale

Fordham (-20½) vs Columbia

Cornell (-3) vs Bucknell

Holy Cross (-7½) vs Monmouth

Princeton (-3½) vs Lehigh

Penn (-10) vs Lafayette

Dartmoth (-6½) at Butler

Harvard (-12½) at San Diego

A hostile Quaker, ahh does the curse roll on?

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 08:28 AM
A hostile Quaker, ahh does the curse roll on?

Don't think for a minute that the Quackers don't care about this game. We'll cover a 10-point spread, though. Frankosaurus vs. Quackosaurus. Low scoring.

RichH2
September 18th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Actually agree, 8-6 in extra innings.

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 09:52 AM
So rockabye Ivy, my dear:

Easton Express-Times (http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/brad-wilson/index.ssf/2013/09/ivy_leagues_distaste_for_football_scholarships_may _sunder_scheduling_ties_with_patriot_league.html)

/

Go Green
September 18th, 2013, 09:59 AM
So rockabye Ivy, my dear:

Easton Express-Times (http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/brad-wilson/index.ssf/2013/09/ivy_leagues_distaste_for_football_scholarships_may _sunder_scheduling_ties_with_patriot_league.html)

I don't know where this "Harvard is ending the Holy Cross series" stuff is coming from.

Ivy League Football media guide (page 2) says that H-HC game is on through 2016 (and presumably later).

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/media_guide/13fbguide-Intro.pdf

CFBfan
September 18th, 2013, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=Bogus Megapardus;2009627]So rockabye Ivy, my dear:

Good ridance to the ancients and their pathetic hypocracy!!!!!

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Good riddance to the ancients and their pathetic hypocrisy!!!!!

Nah, can't go that far. Several on this board have "dual citizenship" and we actually like the Ivy/Patriot games and want them to continue.

RichH2
September 18th, 2013, 10:15 AM
No need to deep 6 Ivy games.Its really up to them. Other than Penn and Tigers,dont really care but I would like to have them on schedule Penn not likely til Joe retires but would hope thereafter

CFBfan
September 18th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Nah, can't go that far. Several on this board have "dual citizenship" and we actually like the Ivy/Patriot games and want them to continue.

some and seemingly none more than murphy who by all accounts has as many "scholly" players as the BCS program wines about the PL when in reality they have had the "full ride" advantage for years....let them play the Davidsons and Georgetowns of the world and then watch their league fall apart! otherwise they should stop crying becasue they are losing their unfair unspoken advantage!

Fordhamanhattan
September 18th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Columbia had Sid Luckman, the best Ivy player of all time.

Sader87
September 18th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I don't know where this "Harvard is ending the Holy Cross series" stuff is coming from.

Ivy League Football media guide (page 2) says that H-HC game is on through 2016 (and presumably later).

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/media_guide/13fbguide-Intro.pdf

It was said on CROSSPORTS so obviously it must be true. xrotatehx

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 10:42 AM
"As soon as you add one dollar to need-based aid, I don't care whether you call it 'demographic aid' or 'institutional discretion.' I call it scholarships." - Frank Tavani

Discuss.

crusader11
September 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Here's the link to the article Bogie pulled that quote from: http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/brad-wilson/index.ssf/2013/09/ivy_leagues_distaste_for_football_scholarships_may _sunder_scheduling_ties_with_patriot_league.html

What a bunch of babies the Ivy Leagues are. Come on, fellas.

Honestly, what is Tim Murphy's problem? Afraid that the Patriot League schools may beat his Crimson every so often now? Everyone knows that Ivy League football is pretty much non-scholarship in name only.

What a joke!

CFBfan
September 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM
No need to deep 6 Ivy games.Its really up to them. Other than Penn and Tigers,dont really care but I would like to have them on schedule Penn not likely til Joe retires but would hope thereafter

yup it's up to them: " Harvard coach Tim Murphy threatened in 2009 to drop PL teams if they started to award scholarships" and, indeed, the Crimson's long-running series with Lafayette has no games set past 2015.

And I think we all know that they have a roster full of kids NOT paying and in 4 years when the PL is at 60 (most anyway) Harvard will still have more!!!
Good bye to the arrogant 8!! let them go, it's what they say they want!

Fordhamanhattan
September 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM
A friend of mine who was an Ivy player, coach and still a major supporter told me re Sept. 21st start date, scholarships that the Ivy League doesn't have a clue about football.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2013, 10:58 AM
"As soon as you add one dollar to need-based aid, I don't care whether you call it 'demographic aid' or 'institutional discretion.' I call it scholarships." - Frank Tavani

Discuss.

Been saying it for years. Props to Frank for "telling it like it is". I call what some of the Ivies are doing as "scholarshipping the entire stiudent body". It is a massively unfair system, where H-Y-P can essentially scholarship kids up with incomes under $140,000/yr (I think) while at Brown or Cornell the number is $70,000/yr.

Sader87
September 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
The Patriot (nee Colonial) League essentially came into being due to the beatings the Ancient 8 was starting to take in the early/mid 80's from such "unwashed masses" as UConn (Yale), UNH (Dartmouth), Delaware (Princeton), HC (the NE Ivies mostly) etc etc.

I think the "fear" persists in the Ivies but as most of us know, the FCS landscape is much different in 2013 than it was in 1986.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
A friend of mine who was an Ivy player, coach and still a major supporter told me re Sept. 21st start date, scholarships that the Ivy League doesn't have a clue about football.

Check this out for evidence:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/09/wheres-eli-or-quest-for-ivy-league.html

Looking up current Ivy League information on the conference website is a "Where's Waldo" undertaking.

Sandlapper Spike
September 18th, 2013, 11:03 AM

There is also the no-playoffs issue.

RichH2
September 18th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Ivy hyprocrisy a given in the related areas of football and "scholarships". Since the Ivies measure themselves only against themselves in all areas, it is unlikely that it will change in any major way any time this century.

crusader11
September 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Anyone want to revise their Lehigh - Princeton picks for this week?

See the new thread -- "Trouble at Lehigh"

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Keith Groller@KeithGroller (http://twitter.com/KeithGroller)

#Lehigh (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Lehigh) football coach Andy Coen has acknowledged that "a few of his players" were involved in an off-campus incident & have been suspended

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Been saying it for years. Props to Frank for "telling it like it is". I call what some of the Ivies are doing as "scholarshipping the entire stiudent body". It is a massively unfair system, where H-Y-P can essentially scholarship kids up with incomes under $140,000/yr (I think) while at Brown or Cornell the number is $70,000/yr.

I believe Harvard's policy is that is the family income is less than 60k the student goes to Harvard scot free. Up to 160k it is 10% of total family income. If a family income is 100k, they are responsible for 10k of tuition and so on.

This is just the policy for non-athletes. I imagine they use a different scale for recruited athletes, but I am not certain.

RichH2
September 18th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Probably not FT, if there is a different standard for football then I believe they would lose their NCAA exception avoiding schollie limits

carney2
September 18th, 2013, 02:04 PM
There have been exactly zero comments on the Pard board re Penn today. Only one yesterday and I think that was c2. Very unusual for us. Can you say "not very excited for this one?"

I'm only going for the area food and Franklin Field atmosphere. Just so happens we are playing.

Not excited about a yukky NEC team when we (Lafayette) played Sacred Heart.

Not excited about the William & Mary game based on the "crowd." (Because everyone knew it would be a blowout?)

Not excited about the Penn game because... (I'm guessing it's because too many folks have concluded that the forces of Frankosaur suk yet again.)

So, Pards, when do we ramp it up? Still 9 to go. We can't just skip an entire season. Can we?

Sader87
September 18th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Actually as "poor to fair" as all the eligible schools this year for the auto-bid are, Lafayette fans should hardly be throwing in the towel at this point. This could well prove to be one of the most exciting/up-for-grabs years in the history of the PL.

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 02:14 PM
The Penn web site says that the 90th edition of the Fielding Yost Classic will be on ESPN3 in addition to the normal LSN channels. I trust that Laubach and Joseph will get the honors (normally they do).

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5932/g6fi.png

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2013, 02:34 PM
The Penn web site says that the 90th edition of the Fielding Yost Classic will be on ESPN3 in addition to the normal LSN channels. I trust that Laubach and Joseph will get the honors (normally they do).

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5932/g6fi.png

What year is the picture? That's not the famous 1896 game is it?

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 02:43 PM
What year is the picture? That's not the famous 1896 game is it?

That one is from a few years later.

Here's the famous 1896 game. Lafayette's defeat of Penn that day lead to the Pards' first of three National Collegiate Football Championships.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9481/i44k.jpg

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Not excited about a yukky NEC team when we (Lafayette) played Sacred Heart.

Not excited about the William & Mary game based on the "crowd." (Because everyone knew it would be a blowout?)

Not excited about the Penn game because... (I'm guessing it's because too many folks have concluded that the forces of Frankosaur suk yet again.)

So, Pards, when do we ramp it up? Still 9 to go. We can't just skip an entire season. Can we?

Sader87 has skipped every season since 1987. Just saying...

Yes, not excited about Penn game because of Frankosaurus. I am excited about playing Penn, just not the forgone result. However, it will be an exciting game for the most part because I'd like to see how Bagnoli possibly screws up. Frankosaurus has met his match.

And this is not the last Penn game ever. Once Bagnoli is done with his fit and threatening to run away, he will come crawling back to the dinner table. After all, are they going to like playing Butler and Morehead? I think that he just can't stand losing to us.

Murphy is probably scared too, but once Harvard keeps winning the next two years the series will be safe. Princeton not backing down, have you noticed? They know better. We could suit up Alabama's squad and still lose to the Tigger whole giving up 400 yards.

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Yes, Fielding Yost Classic! That still probably upsets Penn very much. Good...

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Yes, Fielding Yost Classic! That still probably upsets Penn very much. Good...

Just caught the joke. A nice chuckle on a tough day.

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Just caught the joke. A nice chuckle on a tough day.

C'mon LFN. Suspensions don't mean a thing. Like Lehigh98 said last week, Lehigh will pull another rabbitt out of its posterior.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 18th, 2013, 03:34 PM
So long as the Lehigh suspensions are not earth moving....

Season Record, 10-7

Brown 27 Georgetown 17: The Hoyas are coming off a terrible loss. Confidence has to be low...
Fordham 48 Columbia 24: The Rams cruise to another Liberty Cup win.
Colgate 31 Yale 20: The Red Raiders have to win at some point. Right? The Eli are suppose to be poor this year.
Bucknell 21 Cornell 10: I might jump on the Bison bandwagon soon.
Penn 24 Lafayette 13: The Quakers too much at home.
Holy Cross 35 Monmouth 31: Should be an entertaining game. HC a bit of a mystery.
Lehigh 35 Princeton 27: Having two games under their belt helps Lehigh. The Hawk offense is legit. This is a prove it game for LU.

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Remember - the Penn - Lafayette series brought you not only the football helmet and the huddle, but the first major recruiting scandal as well. We're trendsetters.

carney2
September 18th, 2013, 03:37 PM
C'mon LFN. Suspensions don't mean a thing. Like Lehigh98 said last week, Lehigh will pull another rabbitt out of its posterior.

IF the Suspended 4 includes no starters or, heaven forbid, not even a member of the two deep, do we then accuse Andy Coen of nefarious deeds? Would he be the new Dickie The Disciplinarian Biddle?

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 03:41 PM
IF the Suspended 4 includes no starters or, heaven forbid, not even a member of the two deep, do we then accuse Andy Coen of nefarious deeds? Would he be the new Dickie The Disciplinarian Biddle?

From where I sit Coen already stands so accused.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2013, 03:46 PM

The one very probable suspension was a backup corner. I'm anxiously awaiting information on the other three.

He had one tackle and one recovered blocked extra point that he almost returned for 2 points. He is listed as a DNP against Monmouth.

Go...gate
September 18th, 2013, 03:58 PM

As a fellow "dual citizen", with a heart of orange and black and blood of maroon, I wholeheartedly agree.

Lehigh'98
September 18th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Georgetown 20 @ Brown 48
Columbia 2 @ Fordham 63
Yale 31@ Colgate 24
Bucknell 21 @ Cornell 27
Lafayette 35 @ Penn 0
Lehigh 19 @ Princeton 27
Monmouth 37 @ Holy Cross 44

I'm pretty sure Princeton comes out under the lights pumped up and mauls LUs undersized D. If we pull another rabbit this week, UNH will be the come to Jesus game the rest of the PL posters have been anxiously awaiting. Pards win easy!!!

RichH2
September 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM

It does , arrested player 2nd at CB. Other 3 not known yet

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Remember - the Penn - Lafayette series brought you not only the football helmet and the huddle, but the first major recruiting scandal as well. We're trendsetters.

The huddle was conceived at Gallaudet.

(Yet another Washington school to thwart the Leopards.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huddle#Circular

Lehigh'98
September 18th, 2013, 07:36 PM
No other conference comes close to veering off track as us on pick em threads. #1896,1921,1926,1987

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2013, 07:41 PM

Me too P4L...I have been invited to meet new Pard president Alison Byerly in the parking lot prior to the game!

RichH2
September 18th, 2013, 07:46 PM
xnodx Happily PL does not have a track per se. Thread titles are mere conveniences for PL fans to find new threads to continue age old topics and the occasional new issues that come up. Of course, we hijack everybody's thread, so we probably have boundary issues. xoopsx

Go Green
September 18th, 2013, 09:00 PM
The huddle was conceived at Gallaudet.

Yep!

The deaf players of Gallaudet had to sign plays to each other. The defenses could see the signs and knew what was coming. The Gallaudet players decided it made sense to huddle up to hide the signs for the next play. Other teams thought "you know... that's a good idea. We should do that as well."

Deaf baseball players are also credited with asking the baseball umpires to use their hands to signal "strike" "out" and "safe."

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 09:55 PM
And baseball was invented in Cooperstown, right?

Sorry, but the football huddle in the modern game of football was developed by Lafayette's Herb McCracken, because Penn had brought in a baseball manager to try to interpret Lafayette's hand signals from the sidelines.

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Columbia had Sid Luckman, the best Ivy player of all time.

Totally underrated and unappreciated. Luckman was the master of the T-formation.

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Fantastic

Should we stay tuned later in the year for "Frisco, Texas in my mind"?

Appreciate it, Valley. The effort was met mostly with blank stares, I'm afraid. I tried my best. :o

I was thinking of "Miles and Miles of Texas" by Asleep At The Wheel. Perhaps a video as well.

ngineer
September 18th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Me too P4L...I have been invited to meet new Pard president Alison Byerly in the parking lot prior to the game!

Sounds like quite an affair!! Film at 11?? (;-)

Ivytalk
September 19th, 2013, 07:09 AM
And baseball was invented in Cooperstown, right?

Sorry, but the football huddle in the modern game of football was developed by Lafayette's Herb McCracken, because Penn had brought in a baseball manager to try to interpret Lafayette's hand signals from the sidelines.
That's false, Bogie! Penn baseball types are as stupid as Penn FB players.

By the way, have I ever mentioned that I hate Penn (State)?xcoolx

Sader87
September 19th, 2013, 10:31 AM
OK, it's Thursday, time to actually chime in on the games this week:

11-6 so far, if anyone's keeping track

Bruno 27 GTown 16 Bruins stumble out of the gate but GTown looks weak right now.

Fordham 27 Columbia 20 For the first time since the Rams reinstated football they are a prohibitive favorite. I seethis as a near trap game but the Bronxsters escape.

Colgate 30 Yale 17 McCarney or no McCarney, Red Raiders get their 1st W at home.

Cornell 20 Bucknell 13 In the Battle of the Nells, I'll go with the Big Red simply due to this game being in Ithaca.

Penn 24 Lafayette 17 Quackers are due in this rivalry.

Princeton 31 Lehigh 28 Engineers could very easily be 0-2 right now...their high-wire act of grabbing victory from the jaws of defeat ends at Palmer Stadium.

HC 38 Monmouth 17 Third time's a charm...Saders get first "night win" at Fitton.

Sandlapper Spike
September 19th, 2013, 10:50 AM
GEORGETOWN @ Brown

Columbia @ FORDHAM

Yale @ COLGATE

BUCKNELL @ Cornell

LAFAYETTE @ Pennsylvania

LEHIGH @ Princeton

Monmouth @ HOLY CROSS

blackbeard
September 19th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Brown
Fordham
Colgate
Cornell
Lafayette
Princeton
Monmouth

RichH2
September 19th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Ok, here goes
Brown
Fordham
Gate
Cornell
Penn
Lehigh, strictly a homer pick
Cross

Sader87
September 19th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Why do Lehigh guys continually not include HC in their picks???

Subliminally I think they too know we shoulda been in the Big East.

Bogus Megapardus
September 19th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Every game will have live video this week. All except for the Ivy streams will be free.

12:30 PM - Georgetown at Brown - Ivy Video Network

1:00 PM - Columbia at Fordham - PLNet

1:00 PM - Yale at Colgate - PLNet

3:00 PM - Bucknell at Cornell - Ivy Video Network

6:00 PM - Monmouth at Holy Cross - PLNet

6:00 PM - Lehigh at Princeton - NBC Sports Network

6:00 PM - Lafayette at Penn - ESPN3; LSN/RCN-TV; LSN All-Access

Lehigh Football Nation
September 19th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Every game will have live video this week. All except for the Ivy streams will be free.

12:30 PM - Georgetown at Brown - Ivy Video Network

1:00 PM - Columbia at Fordham - PLNet

1:00 PM - Yale at Colgate - PLNet

3:00 PM - Bucknell at Cornell - Ivy Video Network

6:00 PM - Monmouth at Holy Cross - PLNet

6:00 PM - Lehigh at Princeton - NBC Sports Network

6:00 PM - Lafayette at Penn - ESPN3; LSN/RCN-TV; LSN All-Access

To summarize, you can pay to see Bucknell or Georgetown, or see any other PL team for free over the internet (assuming you get ESPN3, as I do) or on TV (if you get NBC Sports Network).

RichH2
September 19th, 2013, 01:47 PM

Subliminally I think they too know we shoulda been in the Big East. OOPS. lol

Go...gate
September 19th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Holy Cross 35, Monmouth 27

Georgetown 19, Brown 17

Fordham 44, Columbia 10

Bucknell 14, Cornell 7

Penn 28, Lafayette 20

Lehigh 33, Princeton 24

Yale 28, Colgate 26

Go...gate
September 19th, 2013, 04:48 PM

Subliminally I think they too know we shoulda been in the Big East.

Damn right. :D

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2013, 05:46 PM
FWIW, Georgetown's two top tacklers (Wharton, Alfieri) are out a second week with injuries and are not on the two-deep.

Tribal
September 19th, 2013, 05:52 PM
To summarize, you can pay to see Bucknell or Georgetown, or see any other PL team for free over the internet (assuming you get ESPN3, as I do) or on TV (if you get NBC Sports Network).

I'll DVR the games on NBCS and watch the others on ESPN3 Rewind unless a game is a blowout. I'd watch ANY FCS game before I'd watch a BCS match-up...I look forward to selecting PL games next week with an informed mind.

Pard4Life
September 19th, 2013, 07:45 PM
OK... I think I am 10-7 on the season, which nearly equals my loss totals for last year.

Brown 24, Georgetown 14... Brown bear brown bear what do you see? I see a scholarship-less Ivy wanna-be looking at me!

Fordham 42, Columbia 24... Rams win this one, early and often. However, Columbia usually plays tough in this game... meaning, they will be within three TDs this year.

Sader87 28, Monmouth 24... "Who are those guys in purple jerseys on the field?" says the Monmouth staff. "Holy Cross? But I thought they skipped every season since 1987?" Hawks slow to get up for this one after a tough loss and the Sader87s may have something in the tank after his bait and switch in week 2.

Colgate 24, Yale 21... Mystery game... Colgate without McCarney is like Frank Tavani without a power TB: clueless and hapless. However, Yale is bad. But I have to think Biddletown has more talent in the cuppard than the Walter Camps.

Bucknell 28, Cornell 20... Cornell has one of the best QBs in Ivy history, so says GoGreen. But, Bucknell plays defense..

Penn 35, Lafayette 14... Help me Obi-wan Bagnoli, you're my only hope... for a winning Lafayette season. Pards have been lucky the last several times and have nearly Frankosaur'd away every win. How do you only win by 7 after getting 7 INTs? Tavani is your head coach. Penn has experience and talent on both sides of the ball. Lafayette is just hoping it can even get into the red zone. Once in... field goal time! At least we are winning the special teams battle, so says one crazy Fisherite.

Princeton 33, Lehigh 30... Lehigh is living on borrowed time and the Tigers are this year's underestimated team. Princeton will be the Orgeon of FCS. Meanwhile, Andy Coen must deal with the klieg lights of a national scandal for suspending four players. Will NBCS ever pause with their relentless questioning? A national audience is eager to find out!

Team that won't win, but could: Lafayette

Team that should win, but may not: Colgate

(Nailed last week's coulda and shoulda, Fordham and Lehigh)

ColgateTD
September 19th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Looks like a soaker in Hamilton tomorrow. Wonder if that favors the Biddlemen or the Eli? Perhaps neither....

ngineer
September 20th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Looks like a soaker in Hamilton tomorrow. Wonder if that favors the Biddlemen or the Eli? Perhaps neither....

Who's playing QB for 'gate? That may say it all.

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Looks like everyone is going to get rain except in Providence and possibly Worcester.

RichH2
September 20th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Mix 2 inexperienced squads with heavy rain at nite should make LU game a battle of TOs .

RamRay
September 20th, 2013, 08:17 AM
An Minion a memory best forgotten.

Amen Rich. That Minion fool and his silly AbolishFordhamFootball ate up a lot of space on the old VOY forums, what a troll. Good riddance.

...but every program has its detractors; There is a guy on the Holy Cross site who suggests they drop down a level. One guy on the Villanova site who is very much like minion and always wants to drop football there. Once in a while someone does the same on the Ivy board.

Best thing to do is to ignore them.

ColgateTD
September 20th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Who's playing QB for 'gate? That may say it all.

McCarney's status is unclear. If not him, probably Dylan Finelli, a sophmore who played last week. Melville and Copeland, two frosh, back him up. Without McCarney we're missing "the stick that stirs the drink." :(

RamRay
September 20th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Holy Cross 36, Monmouth 30

Georgetown 24, Brown 20

Fordham 28, Columbia 9

Bucknell 12, Cornell 7

Penn 21, Lafayette 10

Lehigh 33, Princeton 30

Colgate 28, Yale 22

carney2
September 20th, 2013, 08:44 AM
The Lehigh Valley press corps (folks who are not homers and do not want to appear stupid in print) are saying the Pards have more than a middling chance this week.

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2013, 09:37 AM
There is a guy on the Holy Cross site who suggests they drop down a level.

xeyebrowx Hmm... I think that same guy is here: Sader87. However, he thinks that Holy Cross should just get rid of football all together because they cannot be as dominant as they once were. :D

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2013, 09:40 AM
The Lehigh Valley press corps (folks who are not homers and do not want to appear stupid in print) are saying the Pards have more than a middling chance this week.

Simply because it's Penn's first game. We are inept. Poorly coached. The DL is like butter at the whim of a samuri sword. And we have not even seen Colgate yet. Penn is a very good team. I have them in my AGS top 25.

CFBfan
September 20th, 2013, 09:41 AM
xeyebrowx Hmm... I think that same guy is here: Sader87. However, he thinks that Holy Cross should just get rid of football all together because they cannot be as dominant as they once were. :D

absurd isn't it?! the league FINALY offers sholarships and after 1 class of 15 and a couple of games some boneheads want to downgrade and/or eliminate their program!!
such people should go watch another sport

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2013, 09:47 AM
absurd isn't it?! the league FINALY offers sholarships and after 1 class of 15 and a couple of games some boneheads want to downgrade and/or eliminate their program!!
such people should go watch another sport

I think Sader87 was just wallowing in his tears and not actually being serious, or just seeking some solace. The way their two seasons have gone, it's easy to see why he is close to the edge. Meanwhile, in Pardsville, we are ready to riot and break out the pitchforks.

The Frankensteinosaurus is a monster that must be put down!! Kill the beast!!

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Universal-Frankenstein-angry-mob.jpg

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Ivytalk will like this one... check the banner web address for this one: http://articles.philly.com/2013-09-19/sports/42222028_1_penn-state-quakers-ivy-league

Lehigh Football Nation
September 20th, 2013, 10:06 AM
"Back home, people still think I attend Penn State, so I don't know if I felt any pressure in the offseason," he said with a laugh.

The Ivy League athletic perception problem in a nutshell.

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2013, 10:17 AM
The Ivy League athletic perception problem in a nutshell.

1) It's Oklahoma... if it's not Texas or in Oklahoma... utterly clueless.
2) The people who can actually see Franklin Field from their offices cannot even classify the article properly
3) It's the IL's own fault

JimboCBA72
September 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
OK, it's Thursday, time to actually chime in on the games this week:

11-6 so far, if anyone's keeping track

Bruno 27 GTown 16 Bruins stumble out of the gate but GTown looks weak right now.

Fordham 27 Columbia 20 For the first time since the Rams reinstated football they are a prohibitive favorite. I seethis as a near trap game but the Bronxsters escape.

Colgate 30 Yale 17 McCarney or no McCarney, Red Raiders get their 1st W at home.

Cornell 20 Bucknell 13 In the Battle of the Nells, I'll go with the Big Red simply due to this game being in Ithaca.

Penn 24 Lafayette 17 Quackers are due in this rivalry.

Princeton 31 Lehigh 28 Engineers could very easily be 0-2 right now...their high-wire act of grabbing victory from the jaws of defeat ends at Palmer Stadium.

HC 38 Monmouth 17 Third time's a charm...Saders get first "night win" at Fitton.

We prefer Bronxoids or Bronxites:)

Sader87
September 20th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Au contraire....I've never been of the belief that we should drop a level in football. If anything, it's well known on CROSSPORTS that I've advocated for HC to be CAA in football (this was before the PL changed its schollie policy) and either A-10 or "New" Big East in hoop ala Richmond or Villanova.

As I've long opined here and elsewhere, no school affiliated with the PL has lost more combined football/basketball cachet by joining the PL than Holy Cross from where it was in terms of national success in both sports in the 1970's and 1980's.

RichH2
September 20th, 2013, 11:17 AM
The qustion 87 is whether Cross would have lost them anyway in the changing landscape

Sader87
September 20th, 2013, 11:33 AM
The qustion 87 is whether Cross would have lost them anyway in the changing landscape

Who knows..... and I'll save this mostly for our own board and not bore others here.

I actually like the PL in football as it's currently constructed. There are things I could do without, principally the AI, but I think it potentially could be the strongest league in the Northeast down the road as I see the CAA breaking apart, the NEC never really getting much better than it is now, the Ivies continuing to stagnate etc. etc.

It's just too bad that it took the league so long to adapt thus crippling the HC program for much of the 90's and 00's and only recently has it got its footing back last year notwithstanding.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 20th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Entering this week a robust 12-5. Very glad I took Fordham last week. Less thrilled about underestimating Holy Cross and severely overestimating CCSU.

Lehigh 37, Princeton 31. Read why here (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/09/game-3-breakdown-lehigh-at-princeton.html).

Monmouth 20, Holy Cross 17. Rolling the dice here and thinking that the Croo-Sadeurs will not be able to replicate their 300+ yard rushing day against Monmouth, even if the Jersey Hawks are down after last week's tough loss. I'm exposing myself to the same mistake I made last week, but I'm doing it anyway.

Brown 28, Georgetown 6. Not sure what to make of the Man-Eating Killing Machines, except that they have experience returning on offense. Fortunately for them they're hitting Georgetown when the wheels might be coming off.

Fordham 28, Columbia 27. This will not be a walkover. Not by a longshot. I think they win this one very, very late.

Cornell 29, Bucknell 6. One less-than-impressive win over Marist does not a dynasty make.

Lafayette 15, Penn 12. There is absolutely no reason to pick Lafayette in this game based on their performance to date. But it seems like every year this is the game where the Leopards "play up to their potential", "over their heads" or however you want to describe it. I'm again rolling the dice and thinking that they do it again this year.

Colgate 35, Yale 16. I don't care who's under center: Colgate will not ever lose to Yale in this spot at home.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 20th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Who knows..... and I'll save this mostly for our own board and not bore others here.

I actually like the PL in football as it's currently constructed. There are things I could do without, principally the AI, but I think it potentially could be the strongest league in the Northeast down the road as I see the CAA breaking apart, the NEC never really getting much better than it is now, the Ivies continuing to stagnate etc. etc.

It's just too bad that it took the league so long to adapt thus crippling the HC program for much of the 90's and 00's and only recently has it got its footing back last year notwithstanding.

Having BU I think will really, really help you guys. It would help even more if they did the right thing and restarted their football program.

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know if Nickerson Field still has goalposts?

Sader87
September 20th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know if Nickerson Field still has goalposts?

It does not. All vestiges of football ever being played there are long gone. It hosted some HS playoff games post-BU dropping football but it is now strictly a soccer/lacrosse facility.

They are never bringing football back. Never say never i suppose, but don't look for football there in at least 10 years or whenever college football becomes completely restructured.

CrusaderBob
September 20th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Brown
Fordham
Colgate
Bucknell
Penn
Princeton
HC

van
September 20th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Brown
Fordham
Colgate
Bucknell
Penn
Monmouth

ColgateTD
September 20th, 2013, 04:56 PM
We are inept. Poorly coached. The DL is like butter at the whim of a samuri sword. And we have not even seen Colgate yet.

Based upon the first 3 weeks, you will LIKE what you see, P4L, when you face 'Gate.

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Based upon the first 3 weeks, you will LIKE what you see, P4L, when you face 'Gate.

Maybe... despite our apparent Colgate hex and the forboding doom of c2, we usually can pick-off Gate when they are down... however, they are not down often.

RichH2
September 20th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Brown
Fordham
Colgate
Bucknell
Penn
Monmouth

UMM are you missing any picks?

Pards Rule
September 20th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Entering this week a robust 12-5. Very glad I took Fordham last week. Less thrilled about underestimating Holy Cross and severely overestimating CCSU.

Lehigh 37, Princeton 31. Read why here (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/09/game-3-breakdown-lehigh-at-princeton.html).

Monmouth 20, Holy Cross 17. Rolling the dice here and thinking that the Croo-Sadeurs will not be able to replicate their 300+ yard rushing day against Monmouth, even if the Jersey Hawks are down after last week's tough loss. I'm exposing myself to the same mistake I made last week, but I'm doing it anyway.

Brown 28, Georgetown 6. Not sure what to make of the Man-Eating Killing Machines, except that they have experience returning on offense. Fortunately for them they're hitting Georgetown when the wheels might be coming off.

Fordham 28, Columbia 27. This will not be a walkover. Not by a longshot. I think they win this one very, very late.

Cornell 29, Bucknell 6. One less-than-impressive win over Marist does not a dynasty make.

Lafayette 15, Penn 12. There is absolutely no reason to pick Lafayette in this game based on their performance to date. But it seems like every year this is the game where the Leopards "play up to their potential", "over their heads" or however you want to describe it. I'm again rolling the dice and thinking that they do it again this year.

Colgate 35, Yale 16. I don't care who's under center: Colgate will not ever lose to Yale in this spot at home.

YES! We get the vote of approval from LFN! Thank you! I just want to be sure "Big Al" loses his last to the Pards (for awhile at least).

Leopard Loyalist
September 20th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Cornell over Bucknell
Colgate over Yale
Fordham over Columbia
Brown over Georgetown
Holy Cross over Monmouth
Penn over Lafayette
Princeton over Lehigh

van
September 20th, 2013, 06:10 PM
UMM are you missing any picks?

maybe

Go...gate
September 20th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Amen Rich. That Minion fool and his silly AbolishFordhamFootball ate up a lot of space on the old VOY forums, what a troll. Good riddance.

...but every program has its detractors; There is a guy on the Holy Cross site who suggests they drop down a level. One guy on the Villanova site who is very much like minion and always wants to drop football there. Once in a while someone does the same on the Ivy board.

Best thing to do is to ignore them.

Danny Hatred and Minion - AKA "Abolish Fordham Football". Two pieces of work for sure.

Fordham
September 20th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I'll once again take a full PL sweep

dystopiamembrane
September 21st, 2013, 12:18 AM
My rankings:
1. Fordham
2. Lehigh
3. Holy Cross
4. Bucknell
5. Colgate
6. Lafayette
7. Georgetown

My predictions:
Brown 31-12 Georgetown
Fordham 41-21 Columbia
Colgate 35-27 Yale
Cornell 21-20 Bucknell
Penn 28-21 Lafayette
Princeton 28-27 Lehigh
Holy Cross​ 30-24 Monmouth

Squealofthepig
September 21st, 2013, 12:23 AM
First, I'll admit that I'm mostly a results-oriented voter, so I'm completely ignorant of the Ivy League at this point in the season.

I'd like some help understanding the popular Princeton over Lehigh prediction in this thread - is Princeton expected to be that good, or are people unimpressed with Lehigh and their two close wins so far? (I'll admit I have Lehigh as a question mark in my polls, and hoping for some guidance).

dystopiamembrane
September 21st, 2013, 12:30 AM
First, I'll admit that I'm mostly a results-oriented voter, so I'm completely ignorant of the Ivy League at this point in the season.

I'd like some help understanding the popular Princeton over Lehigh prediction in this thread - is Princeton expected to be that good, or are people unimpressed with Lehigh and their two close wins so far? (I'll admit I have Lehigh as a question mark in my polls, and hoping for some guidance).http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/09/game-3-breakdown-lehigh-at-princeton.html

Squealofthepig
September 21st, 2013, 12:33 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/09/game-3-breakdown-lehigh-at-princeton.html

Should've started there -t hanks man!

CFBfan
September 21st, 2013, 07:08 AM
I'll once again take a full PL sweep

your keyboard to God's ears Fordham!

Pards Rule
September 21st, 2013, 07:13 AM

Yes!!! Go Pards! I'm going to the game at Franklin Field this evening!

CFBfan
September 21st, 2013, 07:52 AM
Yes!!! Go Pards! I'm going to the game at Franklin Field this evening!

well bring a little Pard luck with you! enjoy the game and a cheese steak?

Fordham
September 21st, 2013, 09:52 AM

Indeed ... although it's likely time to fess up that the only reason I keep doing that is because it's such a pain to track my results as the season goes on. This way I just look at carney's weekly post with the PL OOC record on it to know how I'm doing.

Going to to need a new plan once conference play starts...

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM
As of 11:00 AM -

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/2010/ici1.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 21st, 2013, 10:08 AM
That looks like a weather front...

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2013, 10:10 AM
That looks like a weather front...

. . . . coming soon to an FCS stadium near you!

RichH2
September 21st, 2013, 10:25 AM
Yup, 'she who must be obeyed" informed me that we are too old to sit in the rain when the game is on TV and its not Lafayette

Remise
September 21st, 2013, 10:46 AM
Colgate-Yale update:

From unofficial source: McCarney will start
From official (NOAA) source:

This AfternoonA chance of rain, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 69. Breezy, with a south wind 17 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

RichH2
September 21st, 2013, 10:58 AM
Rain should only impact nite games

carney2
September 21st, 2013, 11:07 AM
Maybe... despite our apparent Colgate hex and the forboding doom of c2, we usually can pick-off Gate when they are down... however, they are not down often.

I repeat - and how many times do I have to say it?!!! - Colgate has averaged - AVERAGED!! - 33 points per game against Lafayette in this century. To allow it to go on this long and this badly, Frank Tavani, and his defensive "genius" John Loose, have proven themselves incompetents. It will continue unabated because it always has. As they demonstrated against Sacred Heart who runs some of that same two back run-read offense, they haven't learned a thing over the years. More importantly, they haven't done a thing to get on top of a recurring bad situation. They do what they do over and over hoping that the outcome will be different. The point being that no matter what the injury or personnel situation in Hamilton, Tavani and Loose would/will be baffled and overwhelmed. Biddle could line up Hamilton, NY Brownie Troop 157 in his offensive formation and they would still lay claim to vast expanses of football real estate against Lafayette.