PDA

View Full Version : Simple Rating System: How it will impact the FCS playoff selection

bonarae
September 11th, 2013, 07:08 PM
This system is similar to the RPI used in college basketball and will quantify the strength of the team's schedule. Coaches have reacted with enthusiasm and relief.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4623767 (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4623767)

RichH2
September 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Like it overall.LFN has been talking about it for a while. More incentive for PL to raise its OOC SOS, if it wants an at large bid

OhioHen
September 12th, 2013, 06:30 AM
So now at large selections will be based on something similar to what I use as a starting point for my poll selections.

Bisonator
September 12th, 2013, 07:18 AM
There will still be plenty of whining. It's certainly a better way to judge teams though.

JSUBison
September 12th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Conque calls out UND, SDSU, GSU, and UNI for being weak sauce. I guess Conque figures it's never to early to start the at large playoff maneuvering in case he dosen't win the Southland.

"To be able to get credit for difficult scheduling, having to play a quality Division II school and the FBS, that balances out a little bit the fact we can't get a game with Valparaiso, Butler or Saint Francis or Drake or people like this," Conque said.

darell1976
September 12th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Conque calls out UND, SDSU, GSU, and UNI for being weak sauce. I guess Conque figures it's never to early to start the at large playoff maneuvering in case he dosen't win the Southland.

So he thinks scheduling a DII team is the same as the PFL, and yet the PFL gets an autobid in the playoffs. That's got to piss him off if UCA doesn't get into the playoffs but a team like Drake or Butler does.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2013, 08:46 AM
There will still be plenty of whining. It's certainly a better way to judge teams though.

Nobody knows the answer to that question. I aim to answer it.

clenz
September 12th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Yeah...UNI always schedules weak...

2013:
FBS Iowa State - win
FCS top 15 McNeese State
FCS 2 time defending PFL champ (who happens to be a 2 hour bus ride away and only the 4th time we've played them since 1985...our bad for taking advantage of having another FCS autoqualifier in the state)
FCS Northern Colorado

FBS Big 10 Champion Wisconsin (lost by 5)
FBS Iowa (lost by 11)
D2 Central State (Because our FCS opponent backed out to play Florida State)

FBS Iowa State (lost by 1)
FCS Stephan F Austin
FCS Southern Utah

FCS transitional South Dakota (who beat Minnesota that year I believe)
FBS Iowa State
FCS Stephan F Austin

2009 (probably a weaker FCS OOC)
FBS Iowa who won the Orange bowl (we lost by 1)
FCS transitional USD (part of a 2-1)
FCS St. Francis

2008;
FBS BYU
FCS Southern Utah
FCS Nichols State

D2 Minnesota State Mankato (damn good D2 program)
FBS Iowa State (win)
FCS South Dakota State
FCS Drake

FCS Drake
D2 UND (deep D2 playoff run)
FCS South Dakota State

Yeah...what a ****ing maroon. Just because UNI is good enough to win 90%+ of our FCS OOC games doesn't mean they are patsy's. We've also played 11 or 12 games in the past against McNeese State, multiple games against NAU, SUU, starting a home and home with UNC this year...

UNI has just as much trouble filling schedules as most teams out west. UNI is willing to set up 1-1 or 2-1s to get games as well.

Not our fault you ****ers don't want to come to Cedar Falls.

darell1976
September 12th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Yeah...UNI always schedules weak...

2013:
FBS Iowa State - win
FCS top 15 McNeese State
FCS 2 time defending PFL champ (who happens to be a 2 hour bus ride away and only the 4th time we've played them since 1985...our bad for taking advantage of having another FCS autoqualifier in the state)
FCS Northern Colorado

FBS Big 10 Champion Wisconsin (lost by 5)
FBS Iowa (lost by 11)
D2 Central State (Because our FCS opponent backed out to play Florida State)

FCS Stephan F Austin
FCS Southern Utah

FCS transitional South Dakota (who beat Minnesota that year I believe)
FBS Iowa State
FCS Stephan F Austin

2009 (probably a weaker FCS OOC)
FBS Iowa who won the Orange bowl (we lost by 1)
FCS St. Francis

2008;
FBS BYU
FCS Southern Utah
FCS Nichols State

D2 Minnesota State Mankato (damn good D2 program)
FBS Iowa State (win)
FCS South Dakota State
FCS Drake

FCS Drake
D2 UND (deep D2 playoff run)
FCS South Dakota State

Yeah...what a ****ing maroon. Just because UNI is good enough to win 90%+ of our FCS OOC games doesn't mean they are patsy's. We've also played 11 or 12 games in the past against McNeese State, multiple games against NAU, SUU, starting a home and home with UNC this year...

UNI has just as much trouble filling schedules as most teams out west. UNI is willing to set up 1-1 or 2-1s to get games as well.

Don't sweat it, we beat them in 2009 only to have them buyout the return trip in 2012. What a tool.

clenz
September 12th, 2013, 09:08 AM
I don't think this is completely up-to-date...but

Holy ****...look at the number of FCS schools around UCA. You mean to tell me that they can ****ing find teams willing to play them ever?

The Big Sky has a right to want D2 games rewarded, especially with the quality of D2 ball out there.

UCA has ZERO right. They are closer to more FCS schools than UNI, NDSU, Drake, SDSU, USD, WIU, and possibly ISUr

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-team-map/

McNeese75
September 12th, 2013, 09:09 AM

Damn, now THAT is a can of worms (and I don't really see where he is coming from xdontknowx)

McNeese75
September 12th, 2013, 09:16 AM

Well, in his mind, I guess McNeese is a patsy :D. Oh well this Patsy is riding into Conway and Cedar Falls this year and they won't be shooting blanks.

KUlawJack
September 12th, 2013, 10:02 AM

Yes, SDSU is always ducking competition OOC:

Butler (2012 PFL Champ)
at UND
SELA
at Nebraska

at Kansas
at SELA
UC-Davis

SUU
at Illinois
at Cal-Poly

at Delaware
at Nebraska
UND

Georgia Southern
at Cal-Poly
at Minnesota

Wallace
September 12th, 2013, 10:16 AM
"the less-publicized addition of a ratings system for the NCAA selection committee" - "Less-publicized"? The NCAA has used a ratings system since 2008 that supplemented their own rating poll. The ratings officially included a modified GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?125-Gridiron-Power-Index-%28GPI%29) and the polls of the sports network and coaches. They decided this year to make their own which is a lot like the GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?125-Gridiron-Power-Index-%28GPI%29). RPI is not a good description because it is a W/L system.

danefan
September 12th, 2013, 10:26 AM
"the less-publicized addition of a ratings system for the NCAA selection committee" - "Less-publicized"? The NCAA has used a ratings system since 2008 that supplemented their own rating poll. The ratings officially included a modified GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?125-Gridiron-Power-Index-%28GPI%29) and the polls of the sports network and coaches. They decided this year to make their own which is a lot like the GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?125-Gridiron-Power-Index-%28GPI%29). RPI is not a good description because it is a W/L system.

xlolx

Hang on for dear life Ralphie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wallace
September 12th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Hang on...

I remember doing a favor for you in the past. Shame.

clenz
September 12th, 2013, 10:37 AM
What you think you said

I remember doing a favor for you in the past. Shame.

What everyone heard/what you really said

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/27505223.jpg

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I'm laughing that you all are attacking JSUBison when he is just repeating what Conque is stating, just with less smoke and clouds.

Back away from the ledge Clenz and KUlawjack...he's not attacking you guys, it's actually funny how butthurt you got very quickly.

Hell: What conque is stating should have NDSU right in there since we schedule Praireview A&M and Robert Morris.

clenz
September 12th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I'm laughing that you all are attacking JSUBison when he is just repeating what Conque is stating, just with more smoke and clouds.

Back away from the ledge Clenz and KUlawjack...he's not attacking you guys, it's actually funny how butthurt you got very quickly.
I wasn't replying to him...more at him...????

I use words like "you" and "we/us" when I really shouldn't but the point isn't changed by using them.

It was directed at UCA's coach for being a dip****...not he poster for sharing it....unless the poster sharing it is going to say the same thing.

clenz
September 12th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Hell: What conque is stating should have NDSU right in there since we schedule Praireview A&M and Robert Morris.
Well....you do schedule like bitches...xlolx

clenz
September 12th, 2013, 10:42 AM
OH NOES!!!!!!!

RALPHIE DISLIKED MY POST!!

WUTEVARZ WILLZ I DOZZ?

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4263501568/h46AC7A27/

URMite
September 12th, 2013, 10:45 AM
What I am waiting for is a week to week list of all FCS teams using this rating. The one actually used by the committee and published by the committee.

Where can I find that information? xchinscratchx

bjtheflamesfan
September 12th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Hey maybe he ought to schedule a trip to Lynchburg...Here is UCA's non conference schedule in the last three seasons:

Elizabeth City State
Eastern Illinois (not as good that year as they are now)
Murray State
Tulsa (FBS)

Henderson State
Louisiana Tech
Texas State (FBS transitional I believe)
Arkansas State

Bacone College
Eastern Illinois
Ole Miss (FBS)
Murray State

This year they play Incarnate Word, Colorado, UT-Martin and Missouri State. Nice to see they get Montana State next year (the year after Denarius McGhee likely finishes his career in Bozeman). Id like to see UCA schedule teams like Liberty or Stony Brook or Richmond or heck even NDSU or Eastern Washington or Cal Poly or even South Dakota State or UNI. THEN maybe they can start talking about who is "weak sauce"

IaaScribe
September 12th, 2013, 10:50 AM
An important distinction that is missing from the TSN story ... the Simple Rating System is in beta mode this year. It probably won't be used until the 2014 season, according to this story in the Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20130912/SPORTS02/309120024/College-football-FCS-tinkering-new-team-rating-system

darell1976
September 12th, 2013, 10:57 AM
What I am waiting for is a week to week list of all FCS teams using this rating. The one actually used by the committee and published by the committee.

I hope they post an updated rating on all the schools every week.

Wallace
September 12th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I hope they post an updated rating on all the schools every week.

The GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?125-Gridiron-Power-Index-%28GPI%29) starts September 30. That is what they use as a template.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2013, 11:19 AM
They decided this year to make their own which is a lot like the GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?125-Gridiron-Power-Index-%28GPI%29)

No.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2013, 11:19 AM

:D

AmsterBison
September 12th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Lost me at the word "simple" because simple would be wins-losses = rating.

D2 had a simple rating system and it was terrible (and probably still is.) Better to use the GPI or Massey or something. I just don't think a committee of coaches/athletic directors can come up with something that would do better at ranking teams.

Pard4Life
September 12th, 2013, 01:03 PM
HELLO FBS TEAMS!

So, if Lafayette losses three games with this schedule:

Florida State - L
Penn State - L
Columbia - W
Monmouth - W
Marist - W
Bucknell - W
HC - W
Rams - W
Hoyas - W
Colgate - L
Lehigh - W

(Colgate gets the auto)

They are in the playoffs because of this SOS??? GREAT!!! xnonono2x

Houndawg
September 12th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Hey maybe he ought to schedule a trip to Lynchburg...Here is UCA's non conference schedule in the last three seasons:

Elizabeth City State
Eastern Illinois (not as good that year as they are now)
Murray State
Tulsa (FBS)

Henderson State
Louisiana Tech
Texas State (FBS transitional I believe)
Arkansas State

Bacone College
Eastern Illinois
Ole Miss (FBS)
Murray State

This year they play Incarnate Word, Colorado, UT-Martin and Missouri State. Nice to see they get Montana State next year (the year after Denarius McGhee likely finishes his career in Bozeman). Id like to see UCA schedule teams like Liberty or Stony Brook or Richmond or heck even NDSU or Eastern Washington or Cal Poly or even South Dakota State or UNI. THEN maybe they can start talking about who is "weak sauce"

SIU is closer than EIU and no further than Murray State...

KUlawJack
September 12th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I'm laughing that you all are attacking JSUBison when he is just repeating what Conque is stating, just with less smoke and clouds.

Wasn't attacking him at all. Just quoted his post because Conque's quote was in it. You've simply misinterpreted it as an attack on him.

bjtheflamesfan
September 12th, 2013, 03:19 PM

I agree...my point is that they need to do some work scheduling some of the better FCS programs before their coach goes around calling other teams "patsies". Now before somebody goes trying to throw rocks at my team, Liberty has tried to get the better teams to play them but there are two problems: 1) Some folks still have bitterness toward Liberty because of Jerry Falwell, Sr (even though he has been dead for 6 years plus) and as a result, they don't want to schedule us 2) People don't like the thought of coming to Lynchburg for a game and so they balk at the thought of coming into Williams Stadium (although Im hopeful for the Montana game in 2015 and the Richmond game next year)

Skyhawk71
September 12th, 2013, 05:25 PM

I wish the Skyhawks and Salukis could get something worked out- since other than Murray, SIU is closer than our conference opponents (Maybe same as SEMO, but I believe closer)- want to play in the new stadium, last time we played in 06' was in the old stadium and it was an awesome game-

Screamin_Eagle174
September 12th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Love it. The win at Oregon State is HUGE for EWU. Bought us a lot of leeway, especially since we already had one of the toughest schedules.

Wallace
September 14th, 2013, 12:20 PM
yes chuckles xnodx

clenz
September 14th, 2013, 11:20 PM

I guess we found out why UCA doesn't schedule decent FCS teams, in stead loves to schedule D2s and complain about unfairness...

Suck it Conque. Worry about beating the teams on your schedule that who we are ****ing playing...dickbag

URMite
October 2nd, 2013, 05:21 PM
An important distinction that is missing from the TSN story ... the Simple Rating System is in beta mode this year. It probably won't be used until the 2014 season, according to this story in the Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20130912/SPORTS02/309120024/College-football-FCS-tinkering-new-team-rating-system

Excerpt "Dannen expects the first SRS standings to go public in mid-October if only to give people an idea of how things work."

Hope that is still on schedule...

Sandlapper Spike
October 21st, 2013, 03:00 PM
Anybody know if any ratings have been, or will be, released?