PDA

View Full Version : This week in the SoCon Panic

knucklehead
September 10th, 2013, 03:21 PM
As a non so-con fan (who might just think the Big South is better right now :)), I will post this very funny read and Back Away Slowly! xpopcornx

http://blog.postandcourier.com/bulldog-bites/2013/09/10/socon-panic-high-places/

URMite
September 10th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Funny, other than the fact that The Citadel isn't 2-0.

blueballs
September 10th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I very seriously doubt there is anybody in the Big South that would defeat Georgia Southern.

knucklehead
September 10th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Funny, other than the fact that The Citadel isn't 2-0. Yea, I tweeted the dude that he missed that, but he does say they lost

knucklehead
September 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I very seriously doubt there is anybody in the Big South that would defeat Georgia Southern. Likely correct sir. If it were to happen, it would have to be Liberty or Coastal. But both have their hands full enough coming up. Liberty has Richmond in 2 weeks, and then ODU soon after.

Smitty
September 10th, 2013, 06:31 PM
The Paladins are 0-2 against the Big South while Western Carolina is 0-2 against FBS teams, so we’ll give Furman a slight edge this week.

Love that line

ThompsonThe
September 10th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
So poorly written could not call it a funny piece. Guess if you are Liberty University and starving for football attention you will take any opportunity to try and get some. You need to worry about your own house before poking at others. Glad you think the Big South is fantastic, because LU will be in it for the next 100 years.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2013, 06:50 PM
haha the Big South is many things, but better than the Socon is not one of them

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Also, I find it weird that people are calling this year's wofford team the least talented one in a long time, when our offense is probably more talented top-to-bottom than it's been in years and our defensive line/linebackers are the exact same personnel (minus 2 or 3 players from the 2 deep).

SU DOG
September 10th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I very seriously doubt there is anybody in the Big South that would defeat Georgia Southern.

I completely agree, and I also think that there are a couple more SoCon teams that this statement could also apply to.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 10th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Consider that Furman is probably looking at 5th or 6th place and almost beat a top Big South team.

knucklehead
September 10th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I just made a joke. I do agree that the SOCON as a whole is still better than the Big South as a whole. At this point I do not place GaSo and App in that conversation since they are in transition. I do think LU and CCU would struggle vs GASO, but I don't know that the gap is as wide as you believe. Not looking for attention and well aware that LU has dues to pay. We hope to make the playoffs this year and begin that process. But if you think the grand canyon separates the top of the Socon from the top of the Big South, I choose to disagree.

seantaylor
September 11th, 2013, 01:16 AM

No one in BS would stay within 20 points of GSU

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Consider that Furman is probably looking at 5th or 6th place and almost beat a top Big South team.

You make the point no one has bother mentioning. Furman lost to Coastal Carolina in Conway by 7. Yes, they play in the Big South. They are also a Top 25 team, perennial playoff participant, and pretty darn good.

We can't undo the Gardner Webb loss. It is what it is. I don't think a team is laughable when they lose by seven on the road in week one playing without numerous starters (including playing a true freshman QB in his first college start) against a veteran team led by a former coach. I get it, Furman was favored and should have won. I just think it's a bit deeper than "Furman can't beat the Big South."

Check the scores Saturday. I imagine Furman's going to put a country sized whoopin on a Big South team.

seantaylor
September 11th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Furman is looking at 6th place at best.

rokamortis
September 11th, 2013, 06:51 AM
No one in BS would stay within 20 points of GSU

How do you know? You guys haven't even played a decent team yet. Just because you run up the score on doormats Savannah State and St. Francis at home doesn't make you world beaters. xlolx

rokamortis
September 11th, 2013, 07:00 AM

I think Furman may be a bit tougher than you guys are making them out to be. I hope they surprise some folks, but your summary of our game isn't accurate.

How do you define "almost"? By barely coming within one score? Furman never had the lead and only tied when we were 0-0 at the beginning of the game. If they could have sustained a drive at the end, I would agree that Furman maybe almost tied - but they went three and out. The game wasn't as close as you think the box score indicates.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I think Furman may be a bit tougher than you guys are making them out to be. I hope they surprise some folks, but your summary of our game isn't accurate.

How do you define "almost"? By barely coming within one score? Furman never had the lead and only tied when we were 0-0 at the beginning of the game. If they could have sustained a drive at the end, I would agree that Furman maybe almost tied - but they went three and out. The game wasn't as close as you think the box score indicates.

The box score certainly does not tell the story. Just looking at the box score you would have thought Furman won the football game. Furman had 9 more first downs, 240 yards rushing, 13 more minutes of possession, converted 64% of third downs, and averaged over 5 yards a run. In the second half, Furman was running the ball up over and around the CCU defense.

I don't get some of the Coastal folks that think the actual score should have been a lot more one sided. Coastal did a whale of a job keeping the deficit at two touchdowns most of the game, but it cannot be ignored Furman missed two kicks from an ordinarily reliable kicker and shot themselves in the foot deep in Chant territory with penalties. Granted, good teams don't make those types of errors, but its not as though Furman did not have a chance to win the football game.

Player of the game, in my opinion, was the Chant QB. Furman took away Taliaferro and, I thought, with one more stop in the second half would have won or tied the football game. CCU was putting up very little resistance on defense in the second half until the last drive when Furman was forced to throw. One more possession and its hard to imagine Furman not at least tying the game. The Chant QB, though, was up to the task every time and kept finding one open receiver after another.

I look forward to more good games like that one between our programs. I just lament that Coastal didn't get to visit Greenville back when we were a top five program :)

rokamortis
September 11th, 2013, 09:05 AM
The box score certainly does not tell the story. Just looking at the box score you would have thought Furman won the football game. Furman had 9 more first downs, 240 yards rushing, 13 more minutes of possession, converted 64% of third downs, and averaged over 5 yards a run. In the second half, Furman was running the ball up over and around the CCU defense.

I don't get some of the Coastal folks that think the actual score should have been a lot more one sided. Coastal did a whale of a job keeping the deficit at two touchdowns most of the game, but it cannot be ignored Furman missed two kicks from an ordinarily reliable kicker and shot themselves in the foot deep in Chant territory with penalties. Granted, good teams don't make those types of errors, but its not as though Furman did not have a chance to win the football game.

Player of the game, in my opinion, was the Chant QB. Furman took away Taliaferro and, I thought, with one more stop in the second half would have won or tied the football game. CCU was putting up very little resistance on defense in the second half until the last drive when Furman was forced to throw. One more possession and its hard to imagine Furman not at least tying the game. The Chant QB, though, was up to the task every time and kept finding one open receiver after another.

I look forward to more good games like that one between our programs. I just lament that Coastal didn't get to visit Greenville back when we were a top five program :)

No doubt, you guys were running up and down the field - just weren't really able to capitalize. I think our offense held back some too and left some points on the field. We had some questionable things happen too (missed FG, a couple of bad calls) so it is hard to play that game. I'm not trying to belittle Furman - you guys fought hard and if a couple of things went your way the game may have ended differently, but the game just never really felt very close.

As far as you guys being a top 5 program - when was that? Not sure Coastal had a football team then.

zilla
September 11th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Furman was ranked #3 in 2006 when we beat them in Conway, right?

walliver
September 11th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Jeff Hartsell is one of the better FCS reporters out there. Unlike like most local reporters, he actually knows a lot about the rest of FCS. He is, however, not a good comedian.

I doubt there is actually a lot of panicking out there.

The first week was bad, but maybe not as bad as many make it out to be.
I predicted Montana would beat ASU - I just expected a closer game.
I expected Wofford to lose to Baylor - I just expected the team to score a few TD's
I expected Chatty to win - On the other hand Chatty has lost early season OVC games 3 of the last 4 years.
Western and Elon have performed as expected.
Samford is in good shape.
Georgia Southern has performed as expected in their two warm-up games.
The Citadel and Furman loses were both shockers to me.

Chatty and Wofford bounced back
App will improve - they have yet to lose a "conference game".

I understand the Citadel panic, but expect them to improve.
Furman is still a year or two away, but will win this weekend.

The take home point, is that only The Citadel has a conference loss so far, and that there will be 2 or 3 battle-hardened teams going to the playoffs.

Also, Mercer is undefeated (and hopefully will have a defense in time for next year)

IBleedYellow
September 11th, 2013, 09:45 AM
As a fan looking in: At least Georgia Southern is getting it done just like they need to.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2013, 10:18 AM
No doubt, you guys were running up and down the field - just weren't really able to capitalize. I think our offense held back some too and left some points on the field. We had some questionable things happen too (missed FG, a couple of bad calls) so it is hard to play that game. I'm not trying to belittle Furman - you guys fought hard and if a couple of things went your way the game may have ended differently, but the game just never really felt very close.

As far as you guys being a top 5 program - when was that? Not sure Coastal had a football team then.

Furman was in the national title game in 2001, playoffs 2002, top five in 2004, and top five in 2005.

Not sure if I remember our ranking in 2006. We were good, but not as good as those prior years. I do believe that was the year Coastal had something like 55 seniors, including Thigpen and Simpson, and it took a blocked kick to win at home.

In 2004, you could make an argument GSU and Furman were the two best teams in the country most of the season. In 2005, you could make the same argument about Furman and App.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Jeff Hartsell is one of the better FCS reporters out there. Unlike like most local reporters, he actually knows a lot about the rest of FCS. He is, however, not a good comedian.

I doubt there is actually a lot of panicking out there.

The first week was bad, but maybe not as bad as many make it out to be.
I predicted Montana would beat ASU - I just expected a closer game.
I expected Wofford to lose to Baylor - I just expected the team to score a few TD's
I expected Chatty to win - On the other hand Chatty has lost early season OVC games 3 of the last 4 years.
Western and Elon have performed as expected.
Samford is in good shape.
Georgia Southern has performed as expected in their two warm-up games.
The Citadel and Furman loses were both shockers to me.

Chatty and Wofford bounced back
App will improve - they have yet to lose a "conference game".

I understand the Citadel panic, but expect them to improve.
Furman is still a year or two away, but will win this weekend.

The take home point, is that only The Citadel has a conference loss so far, and that there will be 2 or 3 battle-hardened teams going to the playoffs.

Also, Mercer is undefeated (and hopefully will have a defense in time for next year)

Sounds about right. As much as I hate the "wait till next year" mantra that seems so common in Greenville, I do think it is hard to ignore the Paladins have something like 19 freshmen on the two deep. It is what it is.

I do think that the next few weeks could be quite telling. Furman gets PC at home, then an offweek, and then gets the Citadel and Elon back to back. Nothing is guaranteed, but the SoCon conversation might be significantly different the first week of October if Furman is 3-2 and 2-0 in the SoCon. To this point, I don't see any reason why Furman wouldn't be favored in two of those three, and maybe all three.

rokamortis
September 11th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Furman was ranked #3 in 2006 when we beat them in Conway, right?

Good memory. I wasn't sure.

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100706aaa.html

OL FU
September 11th, 2013, 11:55 AM
It is always difficult to argue stats versus the outcome. People plan and play differently when they have a two TD lead most of the game like CCU did. If it had been neck and neck most of the way, CCU might have schemed a little differently on D.

Certainly I am more optimistic than I was after last weeks game than the week before. I can't explain how awful that was. But yes until we see how everyone does or doesn't work out their bugs, I would still put Furman in the 6 to 8 area of the SoCon and if we are better than that it may be because of some of the disappointing play of teams that certainly should be considered higher.

But time will tell.

OL FU
September 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Good memory. I wasn't sure.

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100706aaa.html

I certainly remembered.:o We were rated that high, shouldn't have been (not because we lost to you guys). We made the playoffs to be embarrassed by Montana St. Was probably one of the worst years for the Socon. There was only one good team that year and that was ASU. We made the playoffs because there was no other competition in the SoCon. This year may be similar (who knows). Not us making the playoffs but that there may only be one or two really good teams. It happens every once in a while, and more frequently than that to OL FU (lately).

citdog
September 11th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Certainly I am more optimistic than I was after last weeks game than the week before. I can't explain how awful that was..

Even my Dear, Sweet, Kind, and Loving furple of a Mother wants to know "just who is in charge over there and is Dick Sheridan available?"

OL FU
September 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Even my Dear, Sweet, Kind, and Loving furple of a Mother wants to know "just who is in charge over there and is Dick Sheridan available?"

Think that drunk ass Taafe might wear purple for a while:D

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2013, 12:54 PM
It is always difficult to argue stats versus the outcome. People plan and play differently when they have a two TD lead most of the game like CCU did. If it had been neck and neck most of the way, CCU might have schemed a little differently on D.

Certainly I am more optimistic than I was after last weeks game than the week before. I can't explain how awful that was. But yes until we see how everyone does or doesn't work out their bugs, I would still put Furman in the 6 to 8 area of the SoCon and if we are better than that it may be because of some of the disappointing play of teams that certainly should be considered higher.

But time will tell.

That's the great thing about football. All will be decided on the field.

I do think that if Furman can channel whatever they had in the second half against Coastal, things could look up. It's hard to scheme against a team that is just running over you. Also worth noting that it was the first time in probably ten straight games that Furman did not "lose the second half."

OL FU
September 12th, 2013, 07:26 AM
I certainly remembered.:o We were rated that high, shouldn't have been (not because we lost to you guys). We made the playoffs to be embarrassed by Montana St. Was probably one of the worst years for the Socon. There was only one good team that year and that was ASU. We made the playoffs because there was no other competition in the SoCon. This year may be similar (who knows). Not us making the playoffs but that there may only be one or two really good teams. It happens every once in a while, and more frequently than that to OL FU (lately).

BTW rok, My point and PaladinFan's ( I think) which wasn't clear above is even though we were rated number 3, CCU hasn't played one of the many really good teams that Furman has had over the years. That is not a slight on CCU since it is outside of your control. It is totally Furman's fault. We haven't been really good since 2005 and haven't had a really good defense since 2004. Even for an old timer like me, that is along time.

Tealblood
September 12th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Actually Dick Sheridan was at the game saturday night

rokamortis
September 12th, 2013, 10:28 AM
BTW rok, My point and PaladinFan's ( I think) which wasn't clear above is even though we were rated number 3, CCU hasn't played one of the many really good teams that Furman has had over the years. That is not a slight on CCU since it is outside of your control. It is totally Furman's fault. We haven't been really good since 2005 and haven't had a really good defense since 2004. Even for an old timer like me, that is along time.

I understand. It all ebbs and flows. Hopefully you guys can figure it out and get back to the glory days.

rokamortis
September 12th, 2013, 10:29 AM

Where did he sit?

OL FU
September 12th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Where did he sit?

Don't know but he was on tube at halftime

eaglessoar20021
September 12th, 2013, 11:18 AM
How do you know? You guys haven't even played a decent team yet. Just because you run up the score on doormats Savannah State and St. Francis at home doesn't make you world beaters. xlolx

Dude...You beat South Carolina State 27-20. Like SeanTaylor said, " No one in the BS would stay within 20 points of GSU".

rokamortis
September 12th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Dude...You beat South Carolina State 27-20. Like SeanTaylor said, " No one in the BS would stay within 20 points of GSU".

Yes, we played SC State and Furman, beat both by a TD - both are typically respectable teams. You guys went for a fake punt late in the game when you already embarrassed Savannah State and then raped St Francis - both typically are not respectable teams. Does poor St. Francis even offer close to the scholarship limit? Plus you guys have more than 63 scholarships - you should be beating true FCS teams let alone the sisters of the poor you decided to beat down to bloody pulps. Let's see how you do against decent competition before you start proclaiming your greatness.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2013, 12:01 PM

You might want to hold off on putting crow in the cooler until Georgia Southern lines up against a decent team.

APaladindad
September 13th, 2013, 02:28 AM
He was at the game last time we played at CCU! I spoke to him as he was leaving the field and I believe Bobby Johnson was with him if I remember correctly.