PDA

View Full Version : Northern Arizona

Jacks76
September 22nd, 2006, 07:41 AM
Just how good are the 'Jacks this year? They began play against Division I-A #20 Arizona State and lost 35-14 (after the score was tied 14-14 heading into the 4th quarter). They then lost to Division I-A Utah 45-7 before waxing Division II Dixie State 66-14 in the Skydome.

(Arizona State is 3-0 and Utah is 2-1, having lost to UCLA).

This is QB Jason Murrietta's senior season and by all indications he looks back to his freshman form.

Can the 'Jacks win 7 games and grab a surprise playoff spot (I don't imagine the NCAA selection committee will hold their two I-A losses against them should they go 6-2 in the Big Sky)? :smiley_wi

Paul

Proud Griz Man
September 22nd, 2006, 10:20 AM
By all accounts NAU played really well against ASU in game 1 and Dixie in game 3, but appears to played poorly against Utah. Utah did not give UCLA much of a game.

Q - Which NAU team will show up?

dbackjon
September 22nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
To get to the playoffs, the Jacks will have to win 7 of 8 Big Sky games (unless there is a tie at 6-2, and the Jacks win the tie-breaker). The Dixie State game doesn't count as a playoff-eligible win.

That being said, I am mildly optimistic about their chances. The game at ISU should give us a good indication of what type of team NAU actually has this year.

DaGriz
September 22nd, 2006, 02:03 PM
If it comes down to PSU and NAU making the playoffs with similar records, I think PSU gets in because they would have 2 I-A losses also but have a I-A win in addition. That's looking way down the road though. First things first, win your conference games and things should fall into place.
Murietta is like Ball and Santos. Seems like they should be about 7th year seniors by now. Seems like those three have been playing for ever.

biobengal
September 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
I'm not sold on Murrietta just yet; I think Watson is the better half of that connection. Murrietta's efficiency rating is obviously boosted by his 5-8 186 yard 3 td output vs. Dixie State College.

We'll see, in what is the first REAL game for both teams.

GrizFoo
September 22nd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Just how good are the 'Jacks this year? They began play against Division I-A #20 Arizona State and lost 35-14 (after the score was tied 14-14 heading into the 4th quarter). They then lost to Division I-A Utah 45-7 before waxing Division II Dixie State 66-14 in the Skydome.

This is QB Jason Murrietta's senior season and by all indications he looks back to his freshman form.

Can the 'Jacks win 7 games and grab a surprise playoff spot (I don't imagine the NCAA selection committee will hold their two I-A losses against them should they go 6-2 in the Big Sky)? :smiley_wi

Paul

And Murietta, once again, like his frosh year has some weapons at WR. That is huge. I have ISU with the edge this week because they are at home. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if NAU takes the game.

I don't think MSU is out, but they could be, we'll find out this week. In fact we'll find a lot out this week. The BSC could easily be a four team race. I like UM, PSU, NAU, and ISU...so I've really narrowed it down, and will probably be wrong anyway. :eyebrow:

Jacks76
September 22nd, 2006, 06:55 PM
The final 2006 Big Sky conference standings could easily look something like this:

1. Montana 7-1, 8-3 (losses to Iowa, PSU and Cal Poly)
2. Portland State 6-2, 7-4 (losses to Cal, Montana St., Oregon and NAU)
T2 NAU 6-2, 7-4 (losses to Arizona St., Utah, UM and Weber St.)
4. Idaho State 5-3, 6-5 (losses to UNLV, Idaho, NAU, PSU, UM)
5. Weber State 5-3, 6-5 (losses to CSU, Cal Poly, PSU, UM and ISU)
6. Mont. State 4-4, 5-6 (losses to Chadron St., UC-Davis, NAU, Sac. St., ISU, UM)
7. Sac. State 3-5, 4-7 (losses to Boise St., Cal Poly, UM, Weber St., NAU, ISU, PSU)
8. E. Washington 1-7, 1-10 (losses to Ore. St., WVU, Cent. Wash., MSU, Sac. St., UM, Port. St., NAU, Weber St., ISU)
9. N. Colorado 0-8, 1-10 (UC-Davis, PSU, Western Illinois, rest of Big Sky)

In a strong conference, I could even see the Big Sky getting three teams in, especially when #2 and #3 are tied with the same record.

Paul

GOKATS
September 22nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
The final 2006 Big Sky conference standings could easily look something like this:

1. Montana 7-1, 8-3 (losses to Iowa, PSU and Cal Poly)
2. Portland State 6-2, 7-4 (losses to Cal, Montana St., Oregon and NAU)
T2 NAU 6-2, 7-4 (losses to Arizona St., Utah, UM and Weber St.)
4. Idaho State 5-3, 6-5 (losses to UNLV, Idaho, NAU, PSU, UM)
5. Weber State 5-3, 6-5 (losses to CSU, Cal Poly, PSU, UM and ISU)
6. Mont. State 4-4, 5-6 (losses to Chadron St., UC-Davis, NAU, Sac. St., ISU, UM)
7. Sac. State 3-5, 4-7 (losses to Boise St., Cal Poly, UM, Weber St., NAU, ISU, PSU)
8. E. Washington 1-7, 1-10 (losses to Ore. St., WVU, Cent. Wash., MSU, Sac. St., UM, Port. St., NAU, Weber St., ISU)
9. N. Colorado 0-8, 1-10 (UC-Davis, PSU, Western Illinois, rest of Big Sky)

In a strong conference, I could even see the Big Sky getting three teams in, especially when #2 and #3 are tied with the same record.

Paul

Noone will get in with a 7-4 record without the auto-bid, and the way you have it the griz win the conf..

Jacks76
September 22nd, 2006, 08:00 PM
But the 7-4 records are likely because both Portland State and NAU already have two losses (I think both to Division I-A teams).

Paul

September 22nd, 2006, 08:14 PM
need 7 D-I wins to get considered.

GOKATS
September 22nd, 2006, 08:26 PM
But the 7-4 records are likely because both Portland State and NAU already have two losses (I think both to Division I-A teams).

Paul

Trust me. 7-4 will not fly, unless you're the auto-bid.

JALMOND
September 22nd, 2006, 09:02 PM
need 7 D-I wins to get considered.

At 7-4, PSU would have the seven I-A wins to qualify with no DII on the schedule.

Jacks76
September 22nd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Can you still receive the auto-bid even if you have 6 D-I wins and a D-II win? I'd imagine the 7-win requirement would have to be waived in that scenerio. The Big Sky receives an auto-bid, and if that winner only has 6 D-I wins, then they'd have to go.

Paul

dbackjon
September 22nd, 2006, 09:23 PM
Can you still receive the auto-bid even if you have 6 D-I wins and a D-II win? I'd imagine the 7-win requirement would have to be waived in that scenerio. The Big Sky receives an auto-bid, and if that winner only has 6 D-I wins, then they'd have to go.

Paul

There is no minimum win requirement for the auto-bid, so yes, a six win team could get the autobid.

The 7 win requirement is only for the at-large bids.

Jacks76
September 22nd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Ok. Well, we'd need to get the autobid then.

Paul

GeauxColonels
September 22nd, 2006, 09:33 PM

Paul
Yep, Nicholls State got the Southland Conference auto-bid last year with 6 wins.

GOKATS
September 22nd, 2006, 11:45 PM

Paul

Whoever wins the Big Sky Conference (or any other auto-bid conference, there are eight) regardless of W/L record is in. Any other team/teams in that conference are at large bids and 7-4 won't do it.

Jacks76
September 23rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
NAU needs to finish 8-3 probably to receive an at-large bid, but I'd prefer if they won it outright.

Paul

Mr. C
September 23rd, 2006, 12:35 AM
I'm not sold on Murrietta just yet; I think Watson is the better half of that connection. Murrietta's efficiency rating is obviously boosted by his 5-8 186 yard 3 td output vs. Dixie State College.

We'll see, in what is the first REAL game for both teams.
You may be "sold" on Murrietta after Saturday's game at Idaho State. He had a brilliant game against Arizona State, other than the interception that was returned for the Sun Devils' go-ahead TD in the fourth quarter. With Watson and company, he finally has some good receivers for the first time since his freshman year, has a good running back behind him and a better offensive line. Murrietta is as talented as any QB in I-AA when he gets it going (including Ricky Santos).

Someone made mention of NAU playing poorly against Utah. Actually, the Jacks played a pretty competitive first half and then got hammered in the second half.

One other note, if you think 7-4 will get you in the playoffs, just ask Montana State from last season?

IaaScribe
September 23rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
I can understand the hesistance to buy Murrietta. He's been awful ever since Clarence Moore left. Watson has been the difference making receiver Jason has needed. He's never lacked in confidence, but he's lacked weapons.

NAU can't lose today and have any shot at the Big Sky, because the Lumberjacks won't beat Montana. They never do. They won't start this year.

Jacks76
September 23rd, 2006, 07:01 AM
Every game is a must win in the Big Sky. No team is to be taken for granted, not even the cellar dwellars.

Paul

th0m
September 23rd, 2006, 07:36 AM
NAU needs to finish 8-3 probably to receive an at-large bid, but I'd prefer if they won it outright.

Paul

Well if you go 8-3 that would mean you'd go 7-1 in Big Sky play, which would likely mean you'd at least claim a share of the title.

Jacks76
September 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
True. 7-1 would be fantastic, but that would require an upset or two to get there (e.g. winning against a Portland State or a Montana). Montana always has our number and Portland State is never easy. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Paul

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
I think NAU is imrpoved but won't be a contender in the Big Sky.

Glad to see what appears to be a much better team than came up to the UNI-Dome last year.

Mountain Panther
September 23rd, 2006, 11:26 AM

Paul

You guys get a lot of quality ASU & Arizona transfers, right?

Jacks76
September 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
We have 1 or 2 ASU transfers, a Houston transfer, a Colorado State transfer and a Stanford transfer. We also have some guy named Alex Watson, who I've never heard of until this season, who burned ASU for 200+ yards receiving and had 159 yards on 3 receptions vs. Dixie State.

Paul

GreenDay17
September 23rd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Alex Watson was "just" one of the other receivers at Long Beach Poly with Cal's DeSean Jackson.

Jackluv
September 24th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Nau has 1 ASU transfer who was a 2nd team DE until injuries in the ASU game. THey have no UofA transfer football players.

Alex Watson is a redshirt junior this year so im pretty sure he was a little ahead of the desean jackson era. watson was part of the last golden years of Long Beach Poly.

GreenDay17
September 24th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Yeah, Watson was a senior when Jackson was a soph I think. Still played on the same varsity squad for one year.

Jacks76
September 24th, 2006, 01:23 AM
How many stars did they rate Watson coming out of college? Who was he recruited by?

Paul

already123
September 25th, 2006, 10:23 PM
its obvious that alex watson is the best reciever in the big sky....playin as well as anyone in the conference. jason murietta is playin as well as anyone has seen. this nau team is showing signs of their 2003 team that waxed the then #1 ranked mcneese st in their own house in the first round of the playoffs. i think that as long as this team can stay healthy, they are for real! of course the bigsky is one of those confs where every game must be played on the field,not on paper. if u ask me....it comes down to nau,mont,and portland. nau travels to mont but has portland at home....its gonna be a great season!

blur2005
September 25th, 2006, 10:36 PM
The way the Big Sky is, I wouldn't be surprised to see like three 5-3 teams and then Montana at the head with a 6-2 record. Despite Montana's dominance overall, the league always seems wide open. I think NAU will probably end up going 7-4 or 6-5.

already123
September 26th, 2006, 09:37 PM
history would prove your statement true....it also says that the big team gets knocked off by SOMEONE every year (except when mont went undefeated and won the national title). with that bein said, the big sky asa whole is too good for one team to dominate week to week. whoever wins the big sky this year will have no less than 2 losses in conf.

DaGriz
September 26th, 2006, 10:01 PM
whoever wins the big sky this year will have no less than 2 losses in conf.

I'm going to be pissed if we have 2 conf. losses this year. I think we lose to either ISU or PSU but not both. I think we catch a break with MSU, ISU and NAU at home this year. I think we'll lose one more game this year and that should be our only loss going into the playoffs.

already123
September 26th, 2006, 10:30 PM
happens every year....
u know as well as i do that no one is safe in the big sky.
no team as shown that kind of dominance thus far...either way i dont think any team is THAT good to run the SKY

(not sayin that there arent good teams....just no major separation)

Jacks76
September 27th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I think if NAU can sneak into the playoffs with a 7-4 record and an autobid (via being co-champions) then I think it will be a successful season in Flagstaff. NAU will probably lose to Montana on the road, but they catch a break by facing Portland State at the Sky Dome. They've already played 3 road games already and only 1 home game. The rest of the schedule is 4 at home and 3 on the road.

Paul

DaGriz
September 27th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I think if NAU can sneak into the playoffs with a 7-4 record and an autobid (via being co-champions) then I think it will be a successful season in Flagstaff. NAU will probably lose to Montana on the road, but they catch a break by facing Portland State at the Sky Dome. They've already played 3 road games already and only 1 home game. The rest of the schedule is 4 at home and 3 on the road.

Paul

After the shilacking, 60-14 the Cats gave you guys a couple of years ago, I wonder if Souers is out to get even this weekend if it comes to that.

Jacks76
September 27th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I think NAU will be focused. If anything, they probably circled this game on their calender since last season's debacle. Losing 60-14 anywhere -- home or away -- is bad. A good team just doesn't lose by 46 points at home. I don't care if they are playing Miami (Fla.). If you're at home, you should at least cover the spread.

Paul