PDA

View Full Version : Just a Little Item to Watch RE: FCS Title Game...

blueballs
September 8th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Orlando City Soccer won their league championship in front of the crowd of over 20k at the Florida Citrus Bowl.

There is an ongoing debate in the halls of government here locally to devote tourist tax dollars to build an $85,000,000 stadium not far from the Amway Centre in downtown Orlando. The plans for the proposed stadium seat about 20k and will be pretty tricked out. The stadium will be near bar and restaurants, hotels, and about 20 minutes from Sea World, Universal Studios, Orlando International Airport, and the Disney complexes.

Obviously they will need events in addition to soccer to fill the stadium's schedule and bring in revenue. I don't think it will be a stretch at all to see Orlando bidding on the FCS title game should the stadium become reality. This wouldn't come to fruition for the few years but just file this away for future reference.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Cool, I've been to Dallas for football enough times. Bring on Orlando.

AmsterBison
September 8th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Cool, I've been to Dallas for football enough times. Bring on Orlando.

Heh, I wouldn't mind going to Frisco every January to watch NDSU play. They do a great job.

That said, competition is good.

MplsBison
September 8th, 2013, 03:52 PM
MLS stadiums seem to be a reasonably good fit.

I could see Portland or Seattle being a fun destination so long as the title match contained a Big Sky team.

NoVABison
September 8th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Frisco's 20K Stadium is sold out already for this year... Would be nice to have something around 30K

Bisonoline
September 8th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Would I go to FL yes. Do I want to go there? NO

Fear the Bird
September 8th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Frisco's 20K Stadium is sold out already for this year... Would be nice to have something around 30K
This year isn't a good comparison as a rabid fan base that will travel and fully expects to witness a threepeat has scooped them up. 1st year in Frisco for EWU-Delaware drew just over 13k

MplsBison
September 8th, 2013, 10:35 PM
This year isn't a good comparison as a rabid fan base that will travel and fully expects to witness a threepeat has scooped them up. 1st year in Frisco for EWU-Delaware drew just over 13k

If EW and Delaware made it back and assuming no NDSU fans would attend (either sell them or just not go), would the attendance be more or less than 13k?

NoDak 4 Ever
September 8th, 2013, 10:37 PM
If EW and Delaware made it back and assuming no NDSU fans would attend (either sell them or just not go), would the attendance be more or less than 13k?

no

eaglewraith
September 8th, 2013, 10:51 PM

The publicly available tickets have already been sold. 10k of them are held back for the participating schools, so right now technically it's only half sold out.

Bisonoline
September 9th, 2013, 01:31 AM
The publicly available tickets have already been sold. 10k of them are held back for the participating schools, so right now technically it's only half sold out.

Allotment is 4,000 per school.

eaglewraith
September 9th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Allotment is 4,000 per school.

Eh I was close. Point still stands though, still only roughly half the seats currently sold.

Hammerhead
September 9th, 2013, 01:39 PM
If you don't mind playing in the rain. Typical Portland weather in early January is light rain with a high in the upper 40s and low in the upper 30s. (Or mind playing in the Tacoma dome)

In the past decade we have had a couple of storms that shut down most of the city for days. Heavy snow isn't ar regular occurrence so we don't have as much snow removal equipment as they do in the midwest. One year we had about 8" of snow on our street for about two weeks and it was nearly impossible for anyone without 4WD to get out of our neighborhood. There are tall trees to the south so the street is in perpetual shade all winter long.

MLS stadiums seem to be a reasonably good fit.

I could see Portland or Seattle being a fun destination so long as the title match contained a Big Sky team.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Orlando/Disney/ESPN/Slam Dunk

Nova09
September 9th, 2013, 01:42 PM
What's Stetson's long term plan? I know they're a bit of a drive from Orlando proper but if they're going scholly would they want/be able to get at least a couple games a year in Orlando?

MplsBison
September 9th, 2013, 02:57 PM
no

For just Delaware and Eastern Washington fans:

MplsBison
September 9th, 2013, 02:58 PM
If you don't mind playing in the rain. Typical Portland weather in early January is light rain with a high in the upper 40s and low in the upper 30s. (Or mind playing in the Tacoma dome)

In the past decade we have had a couple of storms that shut down most of the city for days. Heavy snow isn't ar regular occurrence so we don't have as much snow removal equipment as they do in the midwest. One year we had about 8" of snow on our street for about two weeks and it was nearly impossible for anyone without 4WD to get out of our neighborhood. There are tall trees to the south so the street is in perpetual shade all winter long.

Ok fine, Seattle then.