PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week Two.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 7th, 2013, 11:05 PM
I missed two this week. The Citadel and Appalachian State let me down again. Chattanooga notches their first win vs. an FBS program since quite possibly knocking off their big brothers in Knoxville. Here is where I have it after this week.

1) Georgia Southern (ineligible) - Pope Francis could not save St. Francis from their fate.
2) Samford - impressive performance vs. Arkansas keeps them here.
3) UT-Chattanooga - first win vs. FBS team in a long time moves them here
4) Wofford - notches their first SoCon win vs. The Citadel
5) Western Carolina - strength of schedule so far places them here
6) Appalachian State (ineligible) - NC A&T, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
7) The Citadel - in the SoCon cellar after their loss to Wofford
8) Furman - 0-2 vs. Big South.
9) Elon - so you beatdown WV Wesleyan, good job.

Predictions
Presbyterian @ Furman - Paladins bounce back against the Blue Hose
Samford @ Florida A&M - Will the Rattlers strike at the Bulldogs? Not really.
The Citadel @ Western Carolina - Catamounts may have what it takes to notch their first SoCon win in a long time.
Austin Peay @ UT-Chattanooga - Mocs make short work of the Governors
Elon @ North Carolina A&T - Aggies go to 2-0 vs. the SoCon
Georgia Southern @ Wofford - Eagles take care of business on the road

CID1990
September 7th, 2013, 11:14 PM
As far as I am concerned, the SoCon comes down to Samford and UTC, with the edge to Samford. They are always stout up front, but this year they have a fast backfield.

The only other thing I am sure of is that El Cid has nothing. We could well be the last place team. WCU next week looks like another loss for us. Our offense literally cannot move the ball, and part of the problem is that the coaching staff is trying to be cute with multiple formations. I am just about to hop on the fire the coach bandwagon that began growing 2 years ago. My 6 year old daughter could call plays with more imagination.

Reign of Terrier
September 7th, 2013, 11:22 PM
still no respect for wofford.....good :)

I mean, yeah we got the **** beat out of us by Baylor, but if you would notice they did that again today to an FBS team...

There is nothing like Baylor in the FCS. Wofford dominated the Citadel today. The only reason Wofford didn't score more was because our Coaches thought we were Texas Tech in the first half and passed at the dumbest of circumstances. Defensively, we controlled the line of scrimmage, didn't allow a touchdown, 1/3 of the Citadel's yardage came by us essentially playing soft (kind of like what we did to App last year) on the last possession. The Citadel's field goal came off of a muffed punt.

AppChicago
September 7th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Samford first. Let's go ahead and put App last. Fill the middle in based on how big a glutton for punishment you are. Mix well. Revisit in a week.

ElCid
September 7th, 2013, 11:47 PM

I mean, yeah we got the **** beat out of us by Baylor, but if you would notice they did that again today to an FBS team...

There is nothing like Baylor in the FCS. Wofford dominated the Citadel today. The only reason Wofford didn't score more was because our Coaches thought we were Texas Tech in the first half and passed at the dumbest of circumstances. Defensively, we controlled the line of scrimmage, didn't allow a touchdown, 1/3 of the Citadel's yardage came by us essentially playing soft (kind of like what we did to App last year) on the last possession. The Citadel's field goal came off of a muffed punt.

Again, it is not that you were that good, we were just that bad. We are in complete disarray on both sides of the ball. You should have scored much more considering your TOP and stats. Samford and Chatty are going to eat both our lunches and I am now dreading Western. They looked good for a half at least against VaTech.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2013, 05:21 AM
I'm encouraged by what I saw out of Furman last night. Coastal is a top 25 team on the road. Furman put up 430 yards of offense and 240 yards rushing and actually looked like an offense. Hannon makes a world of difference. Costly penalties and mistakes cost Furman a win last night.

The game counts, but I'm mentally writing off the GWU loss. Furman played without its center and QB - the two most important positions for getting out of bad plays and reading the defenses.

Furman finally comes home against PC - a team we should beat. If the Paladins tote the rock like they did last night with an aggressive front line and physical fullback play, that should be a W. Furman will then get an offweek to prepare for the option and get ready to head down to a struggling Citadel team. Can't write them off just yet.

Smitty
September 8th, 2013, 08:26 AM
I don't know WCU always seems to bring out the best in other teams.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2013, 08:27 AM
1. Georgia Southern - The good news: the passing game looks improved and we were 3 for 3 on field goals! Our true frosh kicker nailed a 38-yarder. The bad news: Pass coverage looks suspect and we're still letting the QB escape the pocket too easily.

2. UTC - Looked a good bit better against Georgia State - the only reason the game wasn't uglier was because Russ Huesman called off the dogs too soon.

3. Samford - Did fine against Arkansas as far as I'm concerned. It's an SEC team, not an AAC or Big XII.

4. Wofford - 4 for now, as the season goes on I think they make it a 3-way race

5. Furman - Their offense looks like a top SoCon team's offense, the defense, not so much

6. Western Carolina - Kind of hard to judge them after two FBS games

7. App. State - Time for App. State to bench another award-winning QB to go with a QB?

8. The Citadel - Wofford losing streak extended to 15

9. Elon - At least they can get 1 win this year

CID1990
September 8th, 2013, 08:50 AM

I think you might be disappointed, then. What I saw on the field yesterday were the #6 and the #3 or 4 teams in the SoCon.

OL FU
September 8th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'm encouraged by what I saw out of Furman last night. Coastal is a top 25 team on the road. Furman put up 430 yards of offense and 240 yards rushing and actually looked like an offense. Hannon makes a world of difference. Costly penalties and mistakes cost Furman a win last night.

The game counts, but I'm mentally writing off the GWU loss. Furman played without its center and QB - the two most important positions for getting out of bad plays and reading the defenses.

Furman finally comes home against PC - a team we should beat. If the Paladins tote the rock like they did last night with an aggressive front line and physical fullback play, that should be a W. Furman will then get an offweek to prepare for the option and get ready to head down to a struggling Citadel team. Can't write them off just yet.

I hate to admit to be encouraged after a loss, but yes I was too. I now think, again, it is possible that we might win somewhere between 3 and 5 games.

only because The Citadel and Appalachian are making me feel better about our chances against themxnodx

I apologize to all those I criticized last week because of their criticism of our defense.xeyebrowxxconfusedx

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Wofford is better than all you mother****ers think. Georgia Southern has beat up on two very bad teams so you really don't know if they're good or not. In fact,I'll guarantee a victory over them. Fourth place my ass. You dumb ****s ****ed up picking The Citadel to beat us. And you're ****ing up again this week. Suck my dick and burn in hell.

OL FU
September 8th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Wofford is better than all you mother****ers think. Georgia Southern has beat up on two very bad teams so you really don't know if they're good or not. In fact,I'll guarantee a victory over them. Fourth place my ass. You dumb ****s ****ed up picking The Citadel to beat us. And you're ****ing up again this week. Suck my dick and burn in hell.

xlolx DJ, where is the excommunication tribunalxrotatehx:D

theasushow
September 8th, 2013, 09:50 AM

wow, you want us to all burn in hell for not picking wofford over citadel in a FCS college football game?

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2013, 10:04 AM
The point is, Wofford is being underrated. Just because we were routed by the best offense in BCS football and we lost EB does not mean we suck now. And you are assuming Georgia Southern is good based on what? Wins over The Georgia Sisters Of The Poor and the Pennsylvania Pound Puppies? Before the season you thought App and Citadel were better than us too, so apparantly what is thought by people doesn't mean a whole lot. Maybe my post was a little extreme and over the top, but I wanted to announce the presence of me and the Wofford Terriers with authority! Yes, Wofford WILL be in the playoffs this year! I guarantee that!

ElCid
September 8th, 2013, 10:05 AM

Wow. Easy Trigger. You should be more happy than Cid or ASUs fans and you are ready to have a stroke. We all need to go to our happy place. I have been there since last week.....and plan on staying there 'til November.xrotatehx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2013, 10:13 AM

U mad bruh? Just chill out. The season will play itself out and we will find out who is the best.

ElCid
September 8th, 2013, 10:17 AM
The point is, Wofford is being underrated. Just because we were routed by the best offense in BCS football and we lost EB does not mean we suck now. And you are assuming Georgia Southern is good based on what? Wins over The Georgia Sisters Of The Poor and the Pennsylvania Pound Puppies? Before the season you thought App and Citadel were better than us too, so apparantly what is thought by people doesn't mean a whole lot. Maybe my post was a little extreme and over the top, but I wanted to announce the presence of me and the Wofford Terriers with authority! Yes, Wofford WILL be in the playoffs this year! I guarantee that!

Maybe, but I do not "think" you win the SOCON. It's early still though. Like Ga So you do not have a good track record yet. Baylor is irrelevant. We were horrible. You may have been under rated by many. I do not think we were overrated, we just have not gelled in any way yet and have executed horribly. Next week should reveal a lot about both Citadel and Wofford. You win or keep it close, you most likely will make playoffs. You get blown out, probably not. If we get our butt in gear next week and win there may still be hope. We lose at WCU, we are done...and we should be in the hunt for a new coaching staff.

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Wofford over GSU
The Citadel over Western Carolina
NC A&T over Elon
Furman over PC (very unsure about this one)
Chatty over Austin Peay
Samford over Florida A&M

rankings:

1. Wofford
2. Samford
3. GSU
4. Chatty
5. The Citadel
6. Appy
7. Furman
8. Western Carolina
9. Elon

The Cats
September 8th, 2013, 10:51 AM
1) Samford
2) Georgia Southern (ineligible) GSU not tested yet, if they can do this to Wofford, I'd move to #1
3) Wofford
4) UT-Chattanooga - Nice win, but Elon could beat Ga State 35-14
5) Western Carolina
6) Appalachian State (ineligible) 2 losses, probably should be ranked lower
7) Furman
8) The Citadel
9) Elon

Predictions

Presbyterian @ Furman - Paladins only because they are home
Samford @ Florida A&M
The Citadel @ Western Carolina
Austin Peay @ UT-Chattanooga - OVC strikes again in Chattanooga
Elon @ North Carolina A&T
Georgia Southern @ Wofford

The Cats
September 8th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I guarantee that!

Tell us what you return policy is, IF your guarantee falls through?

SU DOG
September 8th, 2013, 11:08 AM
With all due respect to Wofford, in watching this game, I did not think that the Terriers looked like the outstanding team of last year. However, with the HC they have, I would NEVER count them out. As for my team, I am still ecstatic about how well we played. It is true that the Hogs turned it over a couple of times, but we still had a 75 yard drive for a TD that showed what we are capable of. Fabian Truss had 103 yards rushing on 16 carries, and over 150 total yards. Summerlin had one TD pass and 0 interceptions, as the Dogs had NO turnovers. I also think we saw that Samford was very vanilla last week vs GA State. We definitely wilted in the 4th quarter at Little Rock. That's not too hard to understand, however, considering the Razorbacks OL averaged 6'5" 314lbs, and they aren't fat or slow.

The UTC win was, IMO, very impressive, even if it was against the Panthers. Anyone that wrote them off after last week should reconsider. Sure is an interesting and unusual SoCon season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Furman by 21 over Presby
Elon by 3 over A&T xeekx
Western by 7
UTC by 28
Sammy by 24

GSU by 3 (we can kick field goals now, fear us!)

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I think you might be disappointed, then. What I saw on the field yesterday were the #6 and the #3 or 4 teams in the SoCon.

I'm used to hearing that, then Wofford wins at least a share of the Socon xcoffeex

Wofford DOMINATED that game. We should have scored more, yes, but our defense controlled the citadel. A lot of our offensive miscues can be contributed to us trying to pass more, especially on third down and 4ish, which is really stupid in a TO offense.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2013, 11:50 AM
But in all seriousness, I'm taking this a game at a time.

If Wofford beats GSU, we'll be labeled the favorite to win the conference, and we could easily win our next 4 games (PC, GWU, Elon, Western). Our chances of making the playoffs pretty much triple given that the field expanded, we play a full d1 schedule, and App/GSU are ineligible for the conference crown.

We really only need to get to 7-4. But really I could see us doing our typical 8-3.

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2013, 11:54 AM
1) Samford
2) Georgia Southern (ineligible) GSU not tested yet, if they can do this to Wofford, I'd move to #1
3) Wofford
4) UT-Chattanooga - Nice win, but Elon could beat Ga State 35-14
5) Western Carolina
6) Appalachian State (ineligible) 2 losses, probably should be ranked lower
7) Furman
8) The Citadel
9) Elon

Predictions

Presbyterian @ Furman - Paladins only because they are home
Samford @ Florida A&M
Austin Peay @ UT-Chattanooga - OVC strikes again in Chattanooga
Elon @ North Carolina A&T

Just so I understand your logic here...Samford beats Ga State 31-21 and everyone is patting them on the back. Chattanooga is up 42-0 on the same team a week later before calling off the dogs in the 4th quarter and now everyone is downplaying it (granted, none of us disagree that GASt is really bad).

Of course, you picked Ga State to beat Chattanooga (you have picked Chattanooga to lose every week), so I guess I shouldn't be worrying myself to much with your powers of prediction and ranking. ;)

NoDak 4 Ever
September 8th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Just so I understand your logic here...Samford beats Ga State 31-21 and everyone is patting them on the back. Chattanooga is up 42-0 on the same team a week later before calling off the dogs in the 4th quarter and now everyone is downplaying it (granted, none of us disagree that GASt is really bad).

Of course, you picked Ga State to beat Chattanooga (you have picked Chattanooga to lose every week), so I guess I shouldn't be worrying myself to much with your powers of prediction and ranking. ;)

Ga State is a turd. They are worse than a turd. Both UTC and Samford beat a turd. Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

The Cats
September 8th, 2013, 12:10 PM

When Samford beat Georgia State, it was the first game of the season. Nobody knew how either Samford or Ga State would or could play. It was a good win for the Bulldogs.

By the same token, the EXPECTATIONS were SKY HIGH for the first game of the season for Chattanooga, with all their returning players.

What did they do? they laid an egg against a poor OVC team.

Then Chattanooga comes out and beats a Ga State team soundly that everybody knows is helpless on the field, and you expect everybody (me included) to say that Chattanooga is now the KING OF THE FCS?

I think you'll have another bad game against another somewhat poor OVC team. Prove me wrong.

You've played two games so far, and are 1-1, so I guess my record in predicting UCT games is at 50% accuracy so far, so maybe you should worry about my powers of prediction.

chattownmocs
September 8th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Let's get real. Samford struggled mightily with Georgia State to the point where they were outgained by about 200 yards. They redeemed themselves last night but there performance against Georgia State wasn't even close to Chattanooga's.

SU DOG
September 8th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Let's get real. Samford struggled mightily with Georgia State to the point where they were outgained by about 200 yards. They redeemed themselves last night but there performance against Georgia State wasn't even close to Chattanooga's.

Well, since we are supposed to "let's get real," and since you went back to week 1, I think our performance against GA State was much better than UTC's against UTM.

chattownmocs
September 8th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Well, since we are supposed to "let's get real," and since you went back to week 1, I think our performance against GA State was much better than UTC's against UTM.

Based soley on the fact y'all won. Ut Martin is a hell of a lot better than Georgia State.

The Cats
September 8th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Based soley on the fact y'all won. Ut Martin is a hell of a lot better than Georgia State.

Certainly a hell of a lot better than UT Chattanooga as well.

walliver
September 8th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Power Rankings:
1) Samford - played well against an SEC opponent.
2) Georgia Southern - The only undefeated teamxsmhx, but I cannot rank them #1 after playing two scrimmages.
... gap here ...
3) UTC - was last week's game the real deal, or will the mocs be erratic all season.
4) Wofford 1-0 in the SoCon, but offense looked ragged last night. Will need to step up the offense next week

... the following teams have 0 D-I wins ...

5) App State - will get better as the year progresses, but the farewell tour is faring well right now.
6) Western Carolina - hasn't played a peer yet, so the kitties are hard to assess
7) Citadel - Senior-heavy team will regroup and finish in the middle of the pack
8) Elon - only team in the Gang of 5 with a win, even if is was over a kindergarden team.
9) Furman - no SoCon games yet, but at the bottom of the Big South standings
To be honest, 6-9 are a toss up

Predictions for week 3:
Furman gets its groove on with the blue ho's 35-14
Sammy should beat the rattlers, but at risk for a letdown game. Bulldogs 42-20
The Citadel pups have underperformed all year, but squeeze out a 28-24 win over the kitties in the 'Whee
Chatty rolls over the Peays 42-10
CAA fans ask themselves "WTF?" as the burning birds fall to NCA&T 28-21
GSU plays it's first real football game. I refuse to predict against the Terriers, but it will take a monumental effort to pull out a 21-20 win

All ASU and GSU conference games this year will draw extra attention, as these game will likely be the last time any of these teams face each other, at least in college football's current configuration. Few SoCon teams are going to want to play "money games" against either school. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Tell us what you return policy is, IF your guarantee falls through?

Very well. If my guarantee falls through I won't post here anymore this season. On the other hand, if I am right, you all better brace yourselves for me. I will rub it in your faces until your noses fall off! I guess you could say I will be the Wofford chattownmocs. I should change my name to sparklecitydogs.

I can't wait to "welcome" the Eagles in for their last visit to Spartanburg. We aim to make it a memorable one. Memorable as in akin to their worst nightmares, that is! I still think the funniest moment ever was that time Wofford fans and coaches flipped the bird to the Eagles and their fans who had been smacking us and talking junk all day after a sack wrapped up a Terrier win in Statesboro! And this Saturday we shall grasp the Eagles in our canine jaws by the head and shake shake shake them until their freaking necks break! It's gonna be FUN FUN FUN!

fc97
September 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM
i want to start this with talking irony about app fans ranking their team so high. you were stomped by a top ten team and then beaten by a meac team that hasn't been strong since 2000. and what do we get, app ranked ahead of a team that's lost two relatively close di teams, and a team that lost to one of the acc favorites by a huge margin and then won one against a dii.

no offense but if any other fan was doing this, they would be called out on it immediately. this is a power poll, no a poll to lay out what you think you team will be at at the end of the season.

right now, that goes
1) samford
2) gsu
3) utc
4) wofford
5) western
6) the citadel
7) elon
8) furman
9) app

and that's simply based on the resume built so far. will it change, you're damn right it will. but right now, app has done 0 to make themselves anywhere but the bottom. not only that, they are living for below expectations, at least elon is meeting expectations and furman is living within their means.

as for the elon and caa jabs; we weren't invited to the caa for football performance, we were invited for a ton of other reasons. unlike you guys, you don't see them badmouthing even rhode island constantly. being there will be a breathe of fresh air.

straightshooter
September 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Very well. If my guarantee falls through I won't post here anymore this season. On the other hand, if I am right, you all better brace yourselves for me. I will rub it in your faces until your noses fall off! I guess you could say I will be the Wofford chattownmocs. I should change my name to sparklecitydogs.

I can't wait to "welcome" the Eagles in for their last visit to Spartanburg. We aim to make it a memorable one. Memorable as in akin to their worst nightmares, that is! I still think the funniest moment ever was that time Wofford fans and coaches flipped the bird to the Eagles and their fand who had been riding us and talking junk all day after a sack wrapped up a win in Statesboro! And this Saturday we shall grasp the Eagles in our canine jaws by the head and shake shake shake them until their freaking necks break! It's gonna be FUN FUN FUN!

Unless the Terriers have a lot more defensive speed than they've had in the past, you're right, it will be FUN, FUN, FUN

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Unless the Terriers have a lot more defensive speed than they've had in the past, you're right, it will be FUN, FUN, FUN.

Bite my big fat ass. I can't wait until you are in the Sun Belt and never play us again.

chattownmocs
September 8th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Certainly a hell of a lot better than UT Chattanooga as well.

Everyone is a hell of a lot better than western.

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Straight shooter just made an extremely stupid-ass post trying to disrespect our defense. Wofford's defense has been GREAT lately. We held mighty NDSU to just 14!If Georgia Southern is winning in the fourth quarter I will run onto the Wofford field ENTIRELY NUDE with exactly 10 minutes left in the game!

I can say that because I KNOW I won't have to do it! Wofford wins 28-17. BOOK IT!

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Well how's about that! I have turned this thread into a CIRCUS! So even in the highly unlikely event that Wofford fails to make good my guarantees I have had a lot of fun posting here before I disappear for good.

Baldy
September 8th, 2013, 04:16 PM

I can't wait to "welcome" the Eagles in for their last visit to Spartanburg. We aim to make it a memorable one. Memorable as in akin to their worst nightmares, that is! I still think the funniest moment ever was that time Wofford fans and coaches flipped the bird to the Eagles and their fans who had been smacking us and talking junk all day after a sack wrapped up a Terrier win in Statesboro! And this Saturday we shall grasp the Eagles in our canine jaws by the head and shake shake shake them until their freaking necks break! It's gonna be FUN FUN FUN!
Pales in comparison to us taking over your stadium during the 2010 playoffs. That was funny, but I kinda felt sorry for your little team.

Otherwise, cool story bro. xthumbsupx

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Georgia Southern has NOTHING to play for this year. It is like they are on probation. They might as well have not even put a team on the field in 2013, or just went directly on into the Sun Belt.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Unless the Terriers have a lot more defensive speed than they've had in the past, you're right, it will be FUN, FUN, FUN Considering the your offense only scored 14 on us last year at your place, I don't feel like we're that much slower than you guys. If anything our offense and defense is playing collectively at the same level.

I'm skeptical of GSU's defense. They lost a lot of personnel. They're capable of being great, they have the athletes, but not having ManBearPig makes me feel better with Wofford's guard/center being all conference/all american. If I'm not mistaken GSU has some DL on the all conference list, but I don't think they are on the level of Russell.

I feel better about our chances this year because I feel like we have more to prove, more to fight for, and more talent than people give us credit

Pales in comparison to us taking over your stadium during the 2010 playoffs. That was funny, but I kinda felt sorry for your little team.

Otherwise, cool story bro. xthumbsupx

Things I won't miss from the ASU/GSU faithful: referencing games and instances that happened 3+ years ago. It seemingly takes 5 years for such pointless commentary to die, but you really don't see any other fanbase resort to such boring comments. I don't rub in the fact that the citadel hasn't beaten us since the Clinton administration or anything to other fanbases.

Stop living in the past.

ElCid
September 8th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Considering the your offense only scored 14 on us last year at your place, I don't feel like we're that much slower than you guys. If anything our offense and defense is playing collectively at the same level.

I'm skeptical of GSU's defense. They lost a lot of personnel. They're capable of being great, they have the athletes, but not having ManBearPig makes me feel better with Wofford's guard/center being all conference/all american. If I'm not mistaken GSU has some DL on the all conference list, but I don't think they are on the level of Russell.

I feel better about our chances this year because I feel like we have more to prove, more to fight for, and more talent than people give us credit

Things I won't miss from the ASU/GSU faithful: referencing games and instances that happened 3+ years ago. It seemingly takes 5 years for such pointless commentary to die, but you really don't see any other fanbase resort to such boring comments. I don't rub in the fact that the citadel hasn't beaten us since the Clinton administration or anything to other fanbases.

Stop living in the past.

We appreciate you not mentioning it. Oh wait a minute....xrolleyesx

Gringer1
September 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Considering the your offense only scored 14 on us last year at your place, I don't feel like we're that much slower than you guys. If anything our offense and defense is playing collectively at the same level.

Stop living in the past.

Your guy brought up an old game first and the GSU fan replied with an even better old story.

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2013, 06:14 PM
When Samford beat Georgia State, it was the first game of the season. Nobody knew how either Samford or Ga State would or could play. It was a good win for the Bulldogs.

By the same token, the EXPECTATIONS were SKY HIGH for the first game of the season for Chattanooga, with all their returning players.

What did they do? they laid an egg against a poor OVC team.

Then Chattanooga comes out and beats a Ga State team soundly that everybody knows is helpless on the field, and you expect everybody (me included) to say that Chattanooga is now the KING OF THE FCS?

I think you'll have another bad game against another somewhat poor OVC team. Prove me wrong.

You've played two games so far, and are 1-1, so I guess my record in predicting UCT games is at 50% accuracy so far, so maybe you should worry about my powers of prediction.

Last time I check "I" don't play football for Chattanooga so "I" have nothing to prove. "I" won't be playing Austin Peay on Saturday. "I" am not 1-1.

Time will tell if UTM is a poor OVC team or not.

I never expected you to proclaim UTC the KING OF THE FCS. I don't expect anything from you because you're little a kitty in the litter box who for some reason has always had a chip on his shoulder about UTC...I assume that is because when Rodney Allison was here, the Mocs sucked as bad as Western did and 5 years later, your team still sucks and at least UTC is competitive with the top end of the league.

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Ga State is a turd. They are worse than a turd. Both UTC and Samford beat a turd. Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

I guess you missed the part where I said "granted, none of us disagree that GASt is really bad"

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Post game wrap up for Furman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SbgJmgIBMA&feature=player_embedded

Good interviews and encouraging words from the players. Some of you might be interested in what Furman looks like with white jerseys and black pants (because it had never been done before). I like the new unis. They are growing on me.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Your guy brought up an old game first and the GSU fan replied with an even better old story.

perhaps that was the right context in this sense but let's just say I'm tired of hearing stuff about the Halloween massacre that one game where supposedly GSU had more people (they didn't, but they were definitely louder, I'm not arguing this point), and so on and it seems to be a trend with stuff like the miracle on the mountain and random other events against socon foes.

I'm just saying it's a trope that god old fast.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Is this the same Wofford College that is always referenced by CitDog, the chief apologist for Southern Conference academic excellence, as a peer to Patriot League institutions? You do not represent your college well, sir.

he's a black sheep....

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Jesus. Was there a bottomless Bloody Mary brunch at Wofford this morning?

nope but on Saturdays you get bottomless mimosas at Cribb's kitchen with student ID xcoolx

Eagle22
September 8th, 2013, 09:12 PM

Stop living in the past.

Yeah, those Wofford fans sure haven't been reminding the Citadel folks about their 15 game/year futility streak ;)

FCSfan
September 8th, 2013, 09:15 PM
he's a black sheep....

regardless of the color or animal he may be, that poor fella needs a nap or sedative or something...quite possibly needs to be checked for bipolar disorder to make certain both of him are ok.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 8th, 2013, 09:18 PM

No, it doesn't mean you suck. It just means you're not as good as you were last year.

eaglewraith
September 8th, 2013, 09:26 PM
perhaps that was the right context in this sense but let's just say I'm tired of hearing stuff about the Halloween massacre that one game where supposedly GSU had more people (they didn't, but they were definitely louder, I'm not arguing this point), and so on and it seems to be a trend with stuff like the miracle on the mountain and random other events against socon foes.

I'm just saying it's a trope that god old fast.

This seems like a good place for this. This happened and no matter what you guys say otherwise, we changed the environment of your football stadium and your team was affected by it. Because of Georgia Southern fans, your school changed your ticketing policy the next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeY7bQOrtc8

blueballs
September 8th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Last year GSU's defense was faster than Wofford's offense. This is verifiable... I told GSC75, EagleGUS2, and Eaglesdare after two plays Wofford wouldn't find the end zone and I was right.

Unless Wofford got a whole lot faster they're going to have a hard time scoring. Meanwhile, GSU still has the same back (Swope) and offensive linemen who slammed the door in the fourth quarter last year running the dive over and over.

GSU has defeated Wofford 3 times in a row and pretty much throttled them the last 2. The 2011 game was a whipping. I get the feeling that it might be a bad matchup.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Last year GSU's defense was faster than Wofford's offense. This is verifiable... I told GSC75, EagleGUS2, and Eaglesdare after two plays Wofford wouldn't find the end zone and I was right.

Unless Wofford got a whole lot faster they're going to have a hard time scoring. Meanwhile, GSU still has the same back (Swope) and offensive linemen who slammed the door in the fourth quarter last year running the dive over and over.

GSU has defeated Wofford 3 times in a row and pretty much throttled them the last 2. The 2011 game was a whipping. I get the feeling that it might be a bad matchup.

Didn't GSU lose like half of their defense from last year?

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah, those Wofford fans sure haven't been reminding the Citadel folks about their 15 game/year futility streak ;)

I don't bring it up as a relevant factoid every time we're discussing which team has a chance at winning the Socon.

Case in point: 2011, 3 years after the '08 Halloween massacre, we keep hearing this commentary about it and how Ben Quick will ~destroy us~ (he had less than 20 yards that game). Granted, we had dropped 3 straight to App State with the commentary being around how good Quick was, but that was seemingly the headline of the whole discussion, despite the fact that Wofford's turnovers and inefficiency on offense and having played poorly at Boone as just as consistent factors (if not more consistent) in losing to App State.

But hey, there's a vague connection there, so we may as well pretend it's relevant? And the same thing goes with commentary involving Furman vs App or Elon? How many times did people talk **** about Scott Riddle 2 years after he graduated when discussing the Elon game? Or Ingle Martin's fumble? I'm not saying it isn't a nice moment in history to reminisce about when you love your team, but I think it is a common trope when talking about games involving App/GSU that they bring up events that happened 3+ years ago because there may be a vague connection ("Furman had a good QB one time too <posts video of Ingle Martin fumbling>" "lol Riddle is average" "well you had a good team in 2008 too, but it was no problem for our offense") and dress it up as relevant, without giving much more context than a stat.

It's old and overdone and on the bright side we don't have to put up with it much longer.

straightshooter
September 8th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Didn't GSU lose like half of their defense from last year?

Lost Russell, Wilbanks, Wilcox and Stevenson. Return seven starters plus got starting LB Josh Rowe back for a senior season. The loss of those four guys is big, but there's talent stepping in to take their places. Return almost all of the offense and have added speed at A-back and WR. B-back Swope did not play Saturday, so he'll be fresh.

CID1990
September 8th, 2013, 11:39 PM
I'm used to hearing that, then Wofford wins at least a share of the Socon xcoffeex

Wofford DOMINATED that game. We should have scored more, yes, but our defense controlled the citadel. A lot of our offensive miscues can be contributed to us trying to pass more, especially on third down and 4ish, which is really stupid in a TO offense.

Wofford statistically dominated what might well be the worst team in the SoCon at this point. What I saw on the field Saturday was an awful team and a mediocre team. We'll see if the season proves me right. What Wofford does have, as usual, is Mike Ayers. That might count for something down the stretch.

CID1990
September 8th, 2013, 11:49 PM
7) Citadel - Senior-heavy team will regroup and finish in the middle of the pack

I don't know, man. Rumors are going around that there is more than meets the eye going on with this team right now. If true, we might not win a single game. If we continue to play like the last two weeks we are going to be in deep *****.

blueballs
September 9th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Lost Russell, Wilbanks, Wilcox and Stevenson. Return seven starters plus got starting LB Josh Rowe back for a senior season. The loss of those four guys is big, but there's talent stepping in to take their places. Return almost all of the offense and have added speed at A-back and WR. B-back Swope did not play Saturday, so he'll be fresh.

Dion DuBose too who was a good player and leader...

Carlos Cave is back too from injury and they added some transfer help, including an all conference DB from the Patriot League.

IMO GSU is somewhat of an unknown albeit talented commodity defensively. Offensively, loaded and there is no debating that.

Eagle22
September 9th, 2013, 06:56 AM
I don't bring it up as a relevant factoid every time we're discussing which team has a chance at winning the Socon.

Case in point: 2011, 3 years after the '08 Halloween massacre, we keep hearing this commentary about it and how Ben Quick will ~destroy us~ (he had less than 20 yards that game). Granted, we had dropped 3 straight to App State with the commentary being around how good Quick was, but that was seemingly the headline of the whole discussion, despite the fact that Wofford's turnovers and inefficiency on offense and having played poorly at Boone as just as consistent factors (if not more consistent) in losing to App State.

But hey, there's a vague connection there, so we may as well pretend it's relevant? And the same thing goes with commentary involving Furman vs App or Elon? How many times did people talk **** about Scott Riddle 2 years after he graduated when discussing the Elon game? Or Ingle Martin's fumble? I'm not saying it isn't a nice moment in history to reminisce about when you love your team, but I think it is a common trope when talking about games involving App/GSU that they bring up events that happened 3+ years ago because there may be a vague connection ("Furman had a good QB one time too <posts video of Ingle Martin fumbling>" "lol Riddle is average" "well you had a good team in 2008 too, but it was no problem for our offense") and dress it up as relevant, without giving much more context than a stat.

It's old and overdone and on the bright side we don't have to put up with it much longer.

The games become history the minute the final whistle blows, yet fans and observers knock themselves down to talk about games for quite some time.

Please let us all know the appropriate amount of time to reflect and appreciate those moments afterwards. I'm sure no one remembers the game where Jesse McCoy scored the winning TD @ Paulson to unofficially mark competition between these two teams as a rivalry. That is part of what makes the game of football such an enduring sport.

Actually, the past history of games between my favorite program (Georgia Southern) and the rest of the league is the primary part of the Southern Conference that I'm going to miss going forward.

Well, that and the close-in parking ;)

Baldy
September 9th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Baldy, lick the **** out of my asshole. I don't care about that **** you are trying to stress. You are NOT going to get me to feel bad! Wofford is a great school where everyone gets a quality education and a great job upon graduation. A Wofford diploma is very special and the fact that I have one makes me feel AWESOME!
All class. xthumbsupx

Seems catamount man has found a new team. xlolx

Baldy
September 9th, 2013, 08:02 AM

Stop living in the past.
Oh the irony.

I've never seen one poster contradict himself so eloquently in one short statement. xbowx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2013, 09:10 AM
The games become history the minute the final whistle blows, yet fans and observers knock themselves down to talk about games for quite some time.

Please let us all know the appropriate amount of time to reflect and appreciate those moments afterwards. I'm sure no one remembers the game where Jesse McCoy scored the winning TD @ Paulson to unofficially mark competition between these two teams as a rivalry.

I remember that. Everyone thought the season was over after we lost to Delaware and then Wofford. Turned out to be yet another near miss of a national championship game.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Oh the irony.

I've never seen one poster contradict himself so eloquently in one short statement. xbowx

It's called using an example, one can do so without rubbing it in (IE contradicting one self).

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2013, 09:37 AM

Please let us all know the appropriate amount of time to reflect and appreciate those moments afterwards. I'm sure no one remembers the game where Jesse McCoy scored the winning TD @ Paulson to unofficially mark competition between these two teams as a rivalry. That is part of what makes the game of football such an enduring sport.

Actually, the past history of games between my favorite program (Georgia Southern) and the rest of the league is the primary part of the Southern Conference that I'm going to miss going forward.

Well, that and the close-in parking ;)

y'all need to stop misreading my posts :)

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2013, 09:53 AM

We'll be faster and do better this year by virtue of not having Brian Kass running the offense. He was never a good fit for our offense, and Weimer I think will prove to have enough speed to make the GSU faithful anxious (assuming he starts, I'm sure he will) as he did when he was healthy last year (I suggest looking up the highlights of Western Carolina and App State from last year, he ran the offense much better than Kass). I also like our talent and depth at running back this year in comparison to last year, as well as our ability to block and pitch it to the perimeter. in the last 2 weeks that aspect of our offense has already proven to be improved from last year. Donovan Johnson has stepped up to replace EB formidably also, and though he hasn't been a bruising back like EB (who seemingly fell forward no matter how you hit him), he seems to make the highlight reel with his blocking as well as his running (he's definitely a little faster). He honestly reminds me of Kevious Johnson, "the EB before EB" except he's taller and maybe more athletic.

As long as we don't come out like we did last week against the Citadel and pretend we're Texas Tech and throw the ball when the best bet is to run the ball, I like our chances offensively.

Defensively, we shut down the citadel last week, and perhaps (likely) GSU is a better offensive team than the citadel with better athletes, but let's not forget that last year the offense that supposedly whipped us only scored 17 points, one touchdown that was set up by a good punt return (which still counts for something but it kind of counters the whole "we kicked your defense's ass argument"), the other in the fourth quarter on a gassed defense.

Let's not rewrite history. last year the score was 10-6 going into the 4th quarter. Ayers's playcalling was annoying (it's becoming a thing nowadays honestly) in that he went for field goals instead of first downs/touchdowns deep in GSU territory. Sure, we were gassed at the end of the game, but we played so well up to that point, and it was mainly due to our offense not playing well and not putting up points. If we don't try to be too fancy play-calling wise, we will play well. As already stated, if we don't put our foot in our mouth when it comes to play-calling, I think our offense can perform at a higher level than last year (which honestly isn't that hard to do, as the core of our offense was EB left, EB right, EB up the middle).

The more I look into things, the better I feel about this game. I basically feel the same way as I did last week going into the Citadel game, except better in that I know if we lose this game it isn't the end of the world in terms of our chances at the playoffs or the Socon title. You probably couldn't have said that last week.

Here's hoping for a good one.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2013, 10:27 AM
We let St. Francis get way too many yards running for me to feel good about this game. We've also been way too sluggish in the first halves of our first two games. Monken needs to pitch a fiery fit before the game and not at half time.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2013, 10:34 AM
We let St. Francis get way too many yards running for me to feel good about this game. We've also been way too sluggish in the first halves of our first two games. Monken needs to pitch a fiery fit before the game and not at half time.

I do wonder about that. I noticed St. Francis had 230 yards rushing. Of course I'm stating the obvious, but GSU is going to face a lot tougher running games in the coming weeks. Not only the option teams, but Furman and Samford also possess physical between-the-tackles attacks on offense. Gotta shore that up.

blueballs
September 9th, 2013, 10:40 AM
We'll be faster and do better this year by virtue of not having Brian Kass running the offense. He was never a good fit for our offense, and Weimer I think will prove to have enough speed to make the GSU faithful anxious (assuming he starts, I'm sure he will) as he did when he was healthy last year (I suggest looking up the highlights of Western Carolina and App State from last year, he ran the offense much better than Kass). I also like our talent and depth at running back this year in comparison to last year, as well as our ability to block and pitch it to the perimeter. in the last 2 weeks that aspect of our offense has already proven to be improved from last year. Donovan Johnson has stepped up to replace EB formidably also, and though he hasn't been a bruising back like EB (who seemingly fell forward no matter how you hit him), he seems to make the highlight reel with his blocking as well as his running (he's definitely a little faster). He honestly reminds me of Kevious Johnson, "the EB before EB" except he's taller and maybe more athletic.

As long as we don't come out like we did last week against the Citadel and pretend we're Texas Tech and throw the ball when the best bet is to run the ball, I like our chances offensively.

Defensively, we shut down the citadel last week, and perhaps (likely) GSU is a better offensive team than the citadel with better athletes, but let's not forget that last year the offense that supposedly whipped us only scored 17 points, one touchdown that was set up by a good punt return (which still counts for something but it kind of counters the whole "we kicked your defense's ass argument"), the other in the fourth quarter on a gassed defense.

Let's not rewrite history. last year the score was 10-6 going into the 4th quarter. Ayers's playcalling was annoying (it's becoming a thing nowadays honestly) in that he went for field goals instead of first downs/touchdowns deep in GSU territory. Sure, we were gassed at the end of the game, but we played so well up to that point, and it was mainly due to our offense not playing well and not putting up points. If we don't try to be too fancy play-calling wise, we will play well. As already stated, if we don't put our foot in our mouth when it comes to play-calling, I think our offense can perform at a higher level than last year (which honestly isn't that hard to do, as the core of our offense was EB left, EB right, EB up the middle).

The more I look into things, the better I feel about this game. I basically feel the same way as I did last week going into the Citadel game, except better in that I know if we lose this game it isn't the end of the world in terms of our chances at the playoffs or the Socon title. You probably couldn't have said that last week.

Here's hoping for a good one.

W/O looking it up I think Wofford actually outgained GSU last year, or came pretty darned close.

I can't prove this, and I don't have anything to base this on other than observation, but it seemed like Monken played it extraordinarily close to the vest offensively last year against Wofford. What I don't know is whether he saw the same thing I did in that Wofford was going to have a hard time scoring, or since it was McKinnon's second start he wasn't fully confident in opening the playbook, or a combination of both, but that was the most vanilla I can ever remember a GSU option offense in a big game. If you remember GSU didn't throw the ball a single time in that game.

In addition to the punt return GSU also hit a long FG, which as we all know, was a rare feat.

I don't anticipate anything but Wofford's best shot at GSU Saturday. You KNOW Ayers has this game circled on his calendar after losing 3 straight and it being likely the last meeting between the two schools. As usual, turnovers will be the key IMO.

Baldy
September 9th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I do wonder about that. I noticed St. Francis had 230 yards rushing. Of course I'm stating the obvious, but GSU is going to face a lot tougher running games in the coming weeks. Not only the option teams, but Furman and Samford also possess physical between-the-tackles attacks on offense. Gotta shore that up.
Those numbers are a little skewed to the fact that most of their yards and points came against the #2's and #3's. If I'm not mistaken, they had less than 100 yards of total offense in the first half.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2013, 10:54 AM
We have been good at stopping running up the middle for the most part. Didn't have too much of a problem with Breitenstein or UGA's Gurly last year. The problem for us is (1) QBs escaping the pocket to run on pass plays and (2) fast guys running on the perimeter. Jacob Huesman and Fabian Truss could be problematic for us as well as Wofford depending on what their offensive game plan is.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2013, 11:06 AM
We have been good at stopping running up the middle for the most part. Didn't have too much of a problem with Breitenstein or UGA's Gurly last year. The problem for us is (1) QBs escaping the pocket to run on pass plays and (2) fast guys running on the perimeter. Jacob Huesman and Fabian Truss could be problematic for us as well as Wofford depending on what their offensive game plan is.

I think by your own admission you stated your defense lost some talent. So, it is not quite accurate to compare this year's crop to last year's.

Georgia Southern is still the biggest unknown in the conference. Their first two games told us nothing than they beat two teams badly they were expected to beat badly.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2013, 11:36 AM
W/O looking it up I think Wofford actually outgained GSU last year, or came pretty darned close.

I can't prove this, and I don't have anything to base this on other than observation, but it seemed like Monken played it extraordinarily close to the vest offensively last year against Wofford. What I don't know is whether he saw the same thing I did in that Wofford was going to have a hard time scoring, or since it was McKinnon's second start he wasn't fully confident in opening the playbook, or a combination of both, but that was the most vanilla I can ever remember a GSU option offense in a big game. If you remember GSU didn't throw the ball a single time in that game.

In addition to the punt return GSU also hit a long FG, which as we all know, was a rare feat.

I don't anticipate anything but Wofford's best shot at GSU Saturday. You KNOW Ayers has this game circled on his calendar after losing 3 straight and it being likely the last meeting between the two schools. As usual, turnovers will be the key IMO.

Definitely. If I'm not mistaken, when we got whipped in 2011, turnovers, dropped balls, and so on were the difference between Wofford being close at the end/having a shot to win it and the way the score was. I don't see it playing that way. Both teams are a different animal offensively and defensively this year.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2013, 11:40 AM

See, I think this bit is a tad underplayed by GSU. Russell was a big part of how they were able to shut people down up the middle defensively. It's my understanding that you guys bring about as much back as last year, but at the very least you are missing a big part of that shut down DL and have less depth.

As for Wofford's gameplan, if it's anything like the last couple weeks, GSU will possibly struggle. We're much faster on the perimeter, we try to move the ball to the perimeter, we're much better blocking on the perimeter (especially with Donovan Johnson being able to play fb/hb), and we're much much faster on the perimeter (and that last part is the most true and obvious after watching the game saturday).

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I think by your own admission you stated your defense lost some talent. So, it is not quite accurate to compare this year's crop to last year's.

Georgia Southern is still the biggest unknown in the conference. Their first two games told us nothing than they beat two teams badly they were expected to beat badly.

I would say Wofford and GSU are both playing a "Statement Game" in that the winner will likely be favored to have one of the best conference records. People already expect good things out of GSU, had they qualified for the socon title, they'd likely be predicted to win it. People don't have the same confidence with Wofford. If Wofford wins, the perception of them does a complete 180 from 2 weeks ago (and perhaps the conference outlook in general)

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2013, 12:39 PM

No question we did with two safeties in the NFL and not having Brent Russell. On the positive side, we got two of our best linebackers back who missed last year. We may arguably have better depth at the DB and defensive line positions (have two true freshmen on the DL making significant contributions). But you are right, the defense is an unknown at this point.

longtimemocfan
September 9th, 2013, 01:00 PM
1) Georgia Southern- Can stay at the top with win over Wofford.
2) Samford - Has to avoid letdown vs FAMU
3) UT-Chattanooga - At full strength by 2nd half of GSU game.
4) Wofford - See what Terriers are made in home matchup against Ga. Southern.
5) Appy State - Going through growing pains of a new staff.
6) Furman- Showed some improvement last week.
7) The Citadel - Got some obvious dissension going on. Can get it going with a win.
8) Western Car - Better this year, but has to stop the run.
9) Elon - Not looked good so far.

eaglewraith
September 9th, 2013, 01:05 PM

And NDSU gave up 228 yards rushing to Ferris State. Do they have defensive issues now?

Between the tackles we're stout and shut people down. Where we need improvement is keeping outside containment. Run it straight ahead all game though, I'd appreciate it.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2013, 01:07 PM
And NDSU gave up 228 yards rushing to Ferris State. Do they have defensive issues now?

Between the tackles we're stout and shut people down. Where we need improvement is keeping outside containment. Run it straight ahead all game though, I'd appreciate it.

You think you are stout and shut people down. No one has any idea if Georgia Southern's defense is worth their salt.

eaglewraith
September 9th, 2013, 01:54 PM
You think you are stout and shut people down. No one has any idea if Georgia Southern's defense is worth their salt.

Between the tackles we're looking good. I'm liking what I see out of the new guys all over the defense, but they haven't really been tested yet. On the perimeter is where people are going to get good gains on us until we shore that up. If all you want to do is run straight ahead though, you're gonna have a bad day.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Between the tackles we're looking good. I'm liking what I see out of the new guys all over the defense, but they haven't really been tested yet. On the perimeter is where people are going to get good gains on us until we shore that up. If all you want to do is run straight ahead though, you're gonna have a bad day.

I'll be interested to see how it shakes out. Furman has two physical hard runners in their backfield, and really went to work on Coastal with the old toss sweep (I mean, who even runs that play anymore??). Tough duty for a defensive end to try and get leverage around Furman's big OTs and keep outside contain.

FU's offense isn't sexy, but there's something exciting about seeing those guards pull and hit the first wrong colored jersey, a fullback coming right behind him looking to take the legs out of anyone running the wrong way, and a running back just looking for a lane. Mass of humanity.

seantaylor
September 10th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Our problems on D are fixable. Our biggest problem is that we are getting almost too much pass rush. Our DE's are as good as I can remember with regards to collapsing the pocket. But, I cannot remember more missed tackles on the QB when he is dead to rights. Our DTs are definitely our weakness.

GATA
September 10th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Our problems on D are fixable. Our biggest problem is that we are getting almost too much pass rush. Our DE's are as good as I can remember with regards to collapsing the pocket. But, I cannot remember more missed tackles on the QB when he is dead to rights. Our DTs are definitely our weakness.

Our entire defense is slightly above average. Not world beaters

gsu2583
September 10th, 2013, 09:09 AM
HAHA! Go home Wofford, you are drunk...

Terrierforlife
September 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Wow, interesting comments. Here's my two cents. Wofford does not look great this year. Our talent level is down (no jokes please) this year. I was embarrassed by the Baylor game in everyway. It will be back to the basics coaching these kids up on fundamentals. They won't play with any instinct until later in the year. An early game against Ga So does concern me alot. We'll have to see what the game plan looks like. It looks like we will finally balance our offense out of necessity! Let's see.

SpeedkingATL
September 10th, 2013, 02:21 PM
The SoCon as a whole has been pretty lousy this year and when the signature wins are against GaSt and with losses to powerhouses like A&T, Charleston Southern and UT-Martin not much to brag about.

1) GaSo- They get the top ranking by default and by beating 2 teams they should beat.
2) UTC - Bad loss to UTM and domination of a lousy GaSt gets them to #2. That's how bad the SoCon has been.
3) Samford - Played well against a mid-level SEC and beat a lousy GaSt team that actually outplayed them.
4) Wofford - Has actually won a game and lost a game 69-0!! That's good for 4th place.
5) WCU - At least they've lost 2 games to real football teams. Congrat, that gets you in at #5.
6) App State -Rod Broadway gave Scott Satterfield a lesson in coaching that I hope is not forgotten as A&T...that's right A&T beats App at The Rock. Not sure the 6 spot is low enough but we have...
7) Citadel - No shame in losing to Wofford but to Chuck Southern??? My old Middle School in the 1960's had better facilities than the Bucs.
8) Furman - Losing to 2 Big South Schools??? I realize the Big South has gotten a little better over the years but still.....
9) Elon - Losing 70-0, really?? Why not just take a knee on every play and punt, at least it would run a little clock. Yes, Elon beat some junior college or NAIA or something but still.

This week:

Presby vs Furman - I've convinced Furman will not get a hat trick against the Big South. No team with "Blue Hose" as their team name should ever win a football game. Furman by 3.
Sammy vs Florida A&M - The Rattler's band is back, the place will be rockin and the Rattlers have cool uniforms. Still Sammy has played pretty solid football and comes away with the win. Bullpups by 4.
Citdogs vs Whee - How do you pick a team to win that hasn't won an FCS game in the last 3 years?? You don't. Citdogs win by 7.
Austin Peay vs UTC - Austin Peay has a football team??? UTC might have finally had the breakout game they needed witnessed by hundreds of fans at the GaDome. Two of GaSt's starting offensive linemen quit the team after the game (no joke in was in the Atlanta Constitution this morning). Mocs win by 14.
Elon vs NC A&T - Who would have ever thought that a MEAC team could win 2 road games in consecutive weeks against the SoCon...well they do. Aggies by 7.
GaSo vs Wofford - This may be the shortest game of the year with neither team throwing the ball over 8 times. Ayers can't overcome the Eagles superior number of athletes. GaSo by 10; no make that 7, forget the field goal.
App State vs Bye - After 2 losses to open the season, App gets to practice hard for 2 weeks in preparation for The Swag. I don't think App can lose this one and it's a draw.

ElCid
September 10th, 2013, 02:38 PM
The SoCon as a whole has been pretty lousy this year and when the signature wins are against GaSt and with losses to powerhouses like A&T, Charleston Southern and UT-Martin not much to brag about.

1) GaSo- They get the top ranking by default and by beating 2 teams they should beat.
2) UTC - Bad loss to UTM and domination of a lousy GaSt gets them to #2. That's how bad the SoCon has been.
3) Samford - Played well against a mid-level SEC and beat a lousy GaSt team that actually outplayed them.
4) Wofford - Has actually won a game and lost a game 69-0!! That's good for 4th place.
5) WCU - At least they've lost 2 games to real football teams. Congrat, that gets you in at #5.
6) App State -Rod Broadway gave Scott Satterfield a lesson in coaching that I hope is not forgotten as A&T...that's right A&T beats App at The Rock. Not sure the 6 spot is low enough but we have...
7) Citadel - No shame in losing to Wofford but to Chuck Southern??? My old Middle School in the 1960's had better facilities than the Bucs.
8) Furman - Losing to 2 Big South Schools??? I realize the Big South has gotten a little better over the years but still.....
9) Elon - Losing 70-0, really?? Why not just take a knee on every play and punt, at least it would run a little clock. Yes, Elon beat some junior college or NAIA or something but still.

This week:

Presby vs Furman - I've convinced Furman will not get a hat trick against the Big South. No team with "Blue Hose" as their team name should ever win a football game. Furman by 3.
Sammy vs Florida A&M - The Rattler's band is back, the place will be rockin and the Rattlers have cool uniforms. Still Sammy has played pretty solid football and comes away with the win. Bullpups by 4.
Citdogs vs Whee - How do you pick a team to win that hasn't won an FCS game in the last 3 years?? You don't. Citdogs win by 7.
Austin Peay vs UTC - Austin Peay has a football team??? UTC might have finally had the breakout game they needed witnessed by hundreds of fans at the GaDome. Two of GaSt's starting offensive linemen quit the team after the game (no joke in was in the Atlanta Constitution this morning). Mocs win by 14.
Elon vs NC A&T - Who would have ever thought that a MEAC team could win 2 road games in consecutive weeks against the SoCon...well they do. Aggies by 7.
GaSo vs Wofford - This may be the shortest game of the year with neither team throwing the ball over 8 times. Ayers can't overcome the Eagles superior number of athletes. GaSo by 10; no make that 7, forget the field goal.
App State vs Bye - After 2 losses to open the season, App gets to practice hard for 2 weeks in preparation for The Swag. I don't think App can lose this one and it's a draw.

My ranking and score spreads will be a little different, but this was a whole lotta fun to read.

Seabiscuit
September 10th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Presbyterian @ Furman
Samford @ Florida A&M
Austin Peay @ UT-Chattanooga
Elon @ NC A&T

phoenix3
September 10th, 2013, 04:29 PM
i want to start this with talking irony about app fans ranking their team so high. you were stomped by a top ten team and then beaten by a meac team that hasn't been strong since 2000. and what do we get, app ranked ahead of a team that's lost two relatively close di teams, and a team that lost to one of the acc favorites by a huge margin and then won one against a dii.

no offense but if any other fan was doing this, they would be called out on it immediately. this is a power poll, no a poll to lay out what you think you team will be at at the end of the season.

right now, that goes
1) samford
2) gsu
3) utc
4) wofford
5) western
6) the citadel
7) elon
8) furman
9) app

and that's simply based on the resume built so far. will it change, you're damn right it will. but right now, app has done 0 to make themselves anywhere but the bottom. not only that, they are living for below expectations, at least elon is meeting expectations and furman is living within their means.

as for the elon and caa jabs; we weren't invited to the caa for football performance, we were invited for a ton of other reasons. unlike you guys, you don't see them badmouthing even rhode island constantly. being there will be a breathe of fresh air.

word

ElCid
September 10th, 2013, 08:19 PM
1) Georgia Southern (not a real player) - Still on top for now,let's see how they do this week
2) Samford - A little sluggish the first week, but they looked pretty good against Arkansas
3) Chattanooga - I think they just got going a little too slow, too late in the first game, hard to gage game against Ga St but they won big
4) Wofford - Appears to not be their usual self; but hard to gage only with games against a really good FBS team and a really bad FCS one so far; this week will tell a lot - they obviously go to the head of the class if they win

Teams above have wins, below - none (DI)

5) App State (not a real player) - As sloppy as they have apparently been, I think they will wake up shortly
6) Western Carolina - Hard to gain respect opening at 2 FBS, but they appear better
7) Furman - Trying to find itself still
8) The Citadel - Continues to be lost:(
9) Elon - What can you say

Presbyterian @ Furman- Furman gets a needed win 38-14
Samford @ Florida A&M - Samford big, 48-17
The Citadel @ Western Carolina - Unless the Bulldogs wake up (I don't think they will), Western gets the win 34-24
Austin Peay @ UT-Chattanooga- Mocs make a small statement for consistency 38-7
Elon @ NorthCarolina A&T - A&T rides high and wins again 26-23
Georgia Southern @ Wofford - Wofford keeps it close but will go down 27-20

ThompsonThe
September 11th, 2013, 01:56 AM

right now, that goes
1) samford
2) gsu
3) utc
4) wofford
5) western
6) the citadel
7) elon
8) furman
9) app

Then take your fElon self to your beloved CAA, who gives a dang. And believe us, we all know you were not invited to the CAA for your football performance.
Heard rumors the SoCon paid the CAA to take you, but could not confirm the rumor I started.

T-Dog
September 11th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Presbyterian @ Furman - Furmie finally beats a Big South team
Samford @ Florida A&M - Samford flying high right now
The Citadel @ Western Carolina - Cats have the offense to win
Austin Peay @ UT-Chattanooga - UTC getting better
Elon @ North Carolina A&T - Teams going in opposite directions
Georgia Southern @ Wofford - GSU by many
B.Y.E. @ Appalachian State - We're gonna get killed

whoanellie
September 12th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Then take your fElon self to your beloved CAA, who gives a dang. And believe us, we all know you were not invited to the CAA for your football performance.
Heard rumors the SoCon paid the CAA to take you, but could not confirm the rumor I started. We (Elon) seem to do a very good job of taking the money. BTW did you see the latest Collegiate Rankings? App St. Had a very High Ranking as well they should.

fc97
September 12th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Heard rumors the SoCon paid the CAA to take you, but could not confirm the rumor I started.

whine much?

Skjellyfetti
September 12th, 2013, 12:30 PM
whine much?

Already forgotten your whining rant from a few pages back (quoted at the top of this page)

http://lans-soapbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Pot_Meet_Kettle-300x184.jpg

fc97
September 12th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Already forgotten your whining rant from a few pages back (quoted at the top of this page)

http://lans-soapbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Pot_Meet_Kettle-300x184.jpg

sad sad sad, nice try.

the two posts arent even similar.

WCU LawCat
September 13th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Good to be back.

This is crazy. I can't remember the last time people thought Western was the 5th or 6th best team in the league. I think it was 2 or 3 coaches ago. Go Cats!

APaladindad
September 13th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Presbyterian @ Furman
Samford @ Florida A&M
Austin Peay @ UT-Chattanooga
Elon @ NorthCarolina A&T

dystopiamembrane
September 13th, 2013, 09:41 AM
My power rankings:
1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. Samford
4. Chattanooga
5. Appalachian State
6. Elon
7. The Citadel
8. Furman
9. Western Carolina

My predictions:
Furman 35-21 Presbyterian
Florida A&M 14-29 Samford
Western Carolina 28-31 The Citadel
Chattanooga 24-7 Austin Peay
North Carolina A&T 25-21 Elon
Wofford 27-28 Georgia Southern

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Good to be back.

This is crazy. I can't remember the last time people thought Western was the 5th or 6th best team in the league. I think it was 2 or 3 coaches ago. Go Cats!

I don't know. Furman was 3-8 last season and still spanked WCU and Elon. Frankly, until WCU or Elon beats someone substantive (or Furman) I will have a hard time putting them ahead of the Paladins.

Smitty
September 14th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I don't know. Furman was 3-8 last season and still spanked WCU and Elon. Frankly, until WCU or Elon beats someone substantive (or Furman) I will have a hard time putting them ahead of the Paladins.

I don't know, if Furman doesn't find a way to come back, and WCU loses to ElCit I would still rank them ahead of Furman.

OL FU
September 15th, 2013, 06:55 AM
I don't know, if Furman doesn't find a way to come back, and WCU loses to ElCit I would still rank them ahead of Furman.

Very confusing at this point. GWU beating Richmond certainly makes me feel a lot better.