PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conf. admits mistake in TXST-NCO game

Freightliner
September 21st, 2006, 01:51 PM
This is regarding the play right before the Stan Zwinggi Fumble in the Endzone, a play which should have been ruled a Touchdown and instead was ruled out on the 3 yard line.

The Story (http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092106aab.html)

McNeeserocket
September 21st, 2006, 02:32 PM
This is regarding the play right before the Stan Zwinggi Fumble in the Endzone, a play which should have been ruled a Touchdown and instead was ruled out on the 3 yard line.

The Story (http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092106aab.html)

Wow! I have never seen the SLC come out and give a press statement before on a bad call. I know back in 1997, Coach Keasler demanded a review of questionable calls made by SLC officials of the McNeese's game against SFA. The review brought about a termination of one official.

The loss at that game (which may not have been a loss without two very bad call) caused McNeese to play the quarter-final and semi-final games on the road (first at Western Illinois and the second at Delaware). The loss at SFA was the only regular season loss for McNeese that year.

McNeese did go on to the National Championship Game that same year and lost by one point to Youngstown. However, McNeese could have had three home playoff games instead of just one. But you never know, maybe playing on the road made the Cowboys play better than had they played at home (though generally teams play better at home).

DTSpider
September 21st, 2006, 02:43 PM
Sounds like the folks in OK could learn from TX St. While terrible calls are part of the game, you never want to see them be a "deciding" factor.

slycat
September 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM
im glad they cmae out and said it was a mistake. i do not take anything away from the UNC team though. they still came and played to win.

texcap
September 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM
Wow! I have never seen the SLC come out and give a press statement before on a bad call.

My guess is they came out with one because of the OU-Oregon debacle. However it is a typical SLC scenario. Many officiating crews blow calls when there are non-conference games but only the SLC crew could blow the call agaionst their own conference.

There is a reason that Barney was not allowed to keep the bullit in his gun, and the SLC's foot would be in a lot better shape if they followed the same policy. :smiley_wi