PDA

View Full Version : Targeting rule is a crock

IBleedYellow
September 7th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Of ****.

It's a good rule, but it's implementation is horrible. So stupid.

Moto X

Hammerhead
January 8th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Overall during the past season, there were fewer targeting penalties assessed than I thought there would be.

kdinva
January 8th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Of ****.

Moto X

Ask VMI QB Eric Kordenbrock........after a Presby. DT launched himself to the BACK of Eric's neck area, 4 seconds after he released his pass. Missed the final 5-1/2 games of his senior season......and the Presby. player got his 2 quarter suspension. That is the crock. tit for tat........the injured player misses X # of games, so should the offender.

Bisonoline
January 8th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Of ****.

Moto X

Its made the D go back to playing fundamental football instead of allowing the grandstanding blow up tackle. Its just better football.

IBleedYellow
January 8th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Had less of a difference than I thought it would.

I'll happily eat my crow. Good job NCAA.

McNeese72
January 10th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Still haven't figured out why this wasn't called targeting. This photo was right after contact in the head and neck area of our TE and the defender looks like he launched himself. They threw a flag and after much discussion picked it up.

This didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game as we got our butts kicked. I'm just curious why "targeting" wasn't called.

http://www.docsshots.com/img/s10/v110/p660084403-4.jpg

Bisonoline
January 10th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Still haven't figured out why this wasn't called targeting. This photo was right after contact in the head and neck area of our TE and the defender looks like he launched himself. They threw a flag and after much discussion picked it up.

This didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game as we got our butts kicked. I'm just curious why "targeting" wasn't called.

http://www.docsshots.com/img/s10/v110/p660084403-4.jpg

Hes not making contact with the helmet. Contact is being made with the forearm to the shoulder pads.

McNeese72
January 10th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Hes not making contact with the helmet. Contact is being made with the forearm to the shoulder pads.

Yes, but the blow was to the head and neck area of the receiver after he caught the ball (defenseless player part of the rule). I guess the refs decided that the big TE Nick Jacobs was too big to be defenseless. :-) I sure hated seeing him to declare early for the NFL draft.

Note: The photo was right after contact.

Doc

lionsrking2
January 10th, 2014, 11:59 PM
Yes, but the blow was to the head and neck area of the receiver after he caught the ball (defenseless player part of the rule). I guess the refs decided that the big TE Nick Jacobs was too big to be defenseless. :-) I sure hated seeing him to declare early for the NFL draft.

Note: The photo was right after contact.

Doc

I've watched the replay a zillion times and I think it was a good no call ... he didn't lead with the helmet and it was basically shoulder pad to shoulder pad impact. It looked worse in real time because our other defender was pulling him down at the same time.

McNeese72
January 11th, 2014, 06:46 AM
I've watched the replay a zillion times and I think it was a good no call ... he didn't lead with the helmet and it was basically shoulder pad to shoulder pad impact. It looked worse in real time because our other defender was pulling him down at the same time.

I'll accept that.

It seems like the refs backed off the targeting calls towards the end of the season and I was glad. In the FCS you didn't have the benefit of instant replay to keep from losing a player for a game because of an errant call like they often did in the FBS.

You know much about Michael Eubank?

Doc

lionsrking2
January 11th, 2014, 07:12 AM
I'll accept that.

It seems like the refs backed off the targeting calls towards the end of the season and I was glad. In the FCS you didn't have the benefit of instant replay to keep from losing a player for a game because of an errant call like they often did in the FBS.

You know much about Michael Eubank?

Doc

I've seen Eubank play a couple of times on TV ... big, strong, athletic guy - built like a TE - with a good arm ... got beat out but has a lot of ability. If you guys have any shot to get him, I certainly would take him. Don't know anything at all about his makeup and character.

McNeese72
January 11th, 2014, 08:10 AM
I've seen Eubank play a couple of times on TV ... big, strong, athletic guy - built like a TE - with a good arm ... got beat out but has a lot of ability. If you guys have any shot to get him, I certainly would take him. Don't know anything at all about his makeup and character.

Just one of those wild rumors you hear around a program. Probably nothing to it.

Doc

Edit: Yep, was just one of those wild rumors. Shucks!!!

paward
January 12th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Something had to be implemented for the crazed head hunter type player. Some guys just plain ole crazy out there at times. It is a good rule. Remember it protects the DEFENSELESS player.

lionsrking2
January 12th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Remember it protects the DEFENSELESS player.

It may or may not be a good rule, but it does not PROTECT a defenseless player ... it merely penalizes a defender for taking a shot on a defenseless player, which is a big distinction. The only thing it's designed to "protect" is the NCAA from lawsuits. The game is played on instinct, and while the rule may deter the most egregious violations, you're never going to eliminate the bang-bang play over the middle.

IBleedYellow
January 12th, 2014, 10:48 PM
I'm actually kind of embarrassed for starting this thread. Now that I see what this actually did I don't mind the rule. I still wish that the implementation was slightly different, and I really hope the MVFC gets to the point where they can have video replay to see whether or not the ejection should be overruled or not.

The one thing that still bugs me: If the player isn't to be ejected, WHY would the flag need to be thrown in the first place....?

clenz
January 12th, 2014, 11:19 PM
The one thing that still bugs me: If the player isn't to be ejected, WHY would the flag need to be thrown in the first place....?
That's my issue as well.

If you're over ruling the ejection aren't you admitting you made the wrong call?

I think that is a change we will see in the future on the rule

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

paward
January 13th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I should have stated protection as the key word in my post. I will admit that most players are not trying to hurt another player. However, there is a few that go all out game. It's a nasty business at times. Who has played and not taken a head shot, eye gauge or intentional kick. Heck in the Indy vs NE game I saw on two occasions a player while clearing the pile on take a triple kick at an opposing team player appearing to gain their footing.

Just as a lock is for the honest man, the targeting rule is helping the well intended players. There will always be ash or two to cross the line. For them the punishment need to be stiffer.