PDA

View Full Version : CCU athletics programs

Coastal89
September 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM
Maybe this can put to rest the rumors started by a certain columnist last year.

CCU athletics programs staying out of trouble with NCAA

CONWAY - Coastal Carolina's athletics teams had very few missteps during the 2005-06 school year as far as the NCAA was concerned.

CCU's 16 NCAA-sanctioned athletic teams were responsible for three violations during the last academic year, a Freedom of Information Act request by The Sun News revealed. All three violations were self-reported by the university and all three were considered secondary.

Additionally, when the NCAA conducted its annual random drug testing of Coastal athletes last October, all 26 selected participants tested negative for all substances, the same FOIA request.

The NCAA tests for, among other things, anabolic agents, diuretics, growth hormones, several street drugs and overuse of stimulants.

The university's in-house drug testing program, although less comprehensive than the NCAA's, samples 5 percent of each team annually. From Aug. 1, 2005, through this past Tuesday, Coastal had tested 52 total athletes.

Like the official NCAA testing, all 52 in-house samples were clean.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/15570233.htm

MarkCCU
September 21st, 2006, 12:31 PM
i read that this morning....good article

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2006, 04:43 PM
Welcome to the SoCon, pot shots are always the order of the day. :smiley_wi

seems you're running a program the right way down there. See ya in a few weeks.

SoccerSmells
September 21st, 2006, 04:59 PM
Can someone tell me what the deal is with Coastal coaches and players not being quoted in the MB paper these days? That's just weird. Or are they not talking? What happened?

WUTNDITWAA
September 21st, 2006, 05:07 PM
Someone tell me...Since when is a school NOT CHEATING considered a story? :confused:

September 21st, 2006, 07:58 PM
Maybe this can put to rest the rumors started by a certain columnist last year....I'd be interested in knowing what columnist and where the column appeared that accused CCU of NCAA violations. Or is this more smack? Go ahead, spill it.

chantman
September 21st, 2006, 08:14 PM
The author of the article was on the Coastal message board. Here is some of what he had to say.

I've gotten questions from time to time since I arrived last November wondering if Coastal's athletics programs are getting dinged by the NCAA or if its relatively quiet.
I'll be honest, I didn't know -- hence the FOIA request. Whether it is what the school is "supposed" to be doing or not, three minor violations and zero failed drug tests out of 78 is a story.
And yes, Kallander was saying the secondary violations are somewhat acceptable, but not because he wants people to quit caring but because he understands how many rules changes there are every year and that not every person knows every single rule.

IaaScribe
September 21st, 2006, 08:40 PM
Bennett is cutting off his nose to spite his face in this current situation with the Sun News. I'm not going to go into any further detail, though.

Mr. C
September 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM
Bennett is cutting off his nose to spite his face in this current situation with the Sun News. I'm not going to go into any further detail, though.
Knowing David Bennett like I do, I'd have to think the Myrtle Beach writer, or writers did something pretty bad to cause that reaction.

September 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM
I'd be interested in knowing what columnist and where the column appeared that accused CCU of NCAA violations. Or is this more smack? Go ahead, spill it.Waiting...

Sly Fox
September 21st, 2006, 11:13 PM
Wow, what an interesting response from the "columnist". When I saw the user name I was expecting the usual CCU rumormongering he's known for. Perhaps in his Appy championship glow he's being a touch more responsible. That's a positive step in the right direction IMHO.

If Bennett is like many football coaches I deal with on the I-A level he has thin skin. Head coaches tend to love having people surround them with nothing but positive energy. The second anyone verbalizes or writes what everyone int he room is thinking, they tend to get singled out. I have no idea if that is the case here. But its been my experience int he past.

September 21st, 2006, 11:15 PM
Wow, what an interesting response from the "columnist". When I saw the user name I was expecting the usual CCU rumormongering he's known for...Really? Give examples of columns that the columnist you know of said CCU committed NCAA violations. Waiting for you too now, or is this more smack... from a I-A folk no less? : smh :

This is pitiful homerism.

Sly Fox
September 21st, 2006, 11:22 PM
Actually I'm a Liberty alum & fan and I cover I-A & I-AA football as part of my job here in Houston. This columnist opened up several cans of worms by repeating rumors of illegal recruiting tactics by Bennett earlier this year on this board. Granted he did not say Bennett commited any violations, he just "repeated" what he was hearing around the SoCon meetings in an open forum thereby giving credence to unsubstantiated rumor. That's not responsible journalism. But if you'll read my post in this thread, I am actually giving him props for showing some responsibility while not taking his usually cracks at CCU. It'd be great if he could continue on this newfound path.

September 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
... This columnist ... did not say Bennett commited any violations... That's not responsible journalism...What are you nuts???? Responsible journalism on a messageboard post from someone? I have no idea what you've supposedly learned about journalism but that usually goes with a name of a person who writes and it is published somewhere. You have a lot of nerve, but like you said... you cover I-A. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :nono: :nono: :nono: xlolx

Review the definition of this board:
I-AA Discussion
This board is for general I-AA talk and topics, newspaper articles/scuttlebutt/speculation, and published "official" news. No smack. Low noise, reasoned opinions, and linked notices for the entire I-AA community.

Sly Fox
September 21st, 2006, 11:40 PM
Once a poster claims he is a columnist, he no longer can act like any Tom, Dick or Harry with an ISP. You can't go and repeat unsubstantiated hearsay on a public forum ... especially when the hearsay is of such significant nature. But his SoCon coaching buddies were pleased I'm sure. That earned him a nugget or two in the future. I can assure you that the other journalists on this board (and there are a slew of us)don't repeat damaging rumor on message boards unless we have corroborating evidence. Perhaps this columnist has it. But he certainly never has shown it. If he is just another Appy fan, then he should say so. But he is constantly claiming his "columnist" duties whenever posting on here. You can't have it both ways. But I digress ... once again I was trying to give the guy credit for showing some responsibility this time.

As for who I cover, within the past week I had Prairie View/Southern & Grambling/UH in my order of business. I also worked with Texas Southern & Sam Houston. I think I'm very in touch with the I-AA world. And I love this site as well. You do a great job, Ralph. Even if I don't necessarily feel the same way about a certain "columnist"/poster. Sorry for this thread getting hijacked.

For the record, I read Ian's work on the Myrtle Beach fishwrap site and he's doing a fine job. Hopefully he'll be writing about a big loss for the Chants in his October 29th editions.

September 21st, 2006, 11:51 PM
I still think if you refer to a columnist you should be talking about the columns, not messageboard posts where scuttlebutt is allowed. BTW, I heard the same stuff from multiple sources. It was definitely being said and wasn't a secret. Not a biggie to mention it here. There is no gag on that type of stuff when I'm sure Bennett heard the same thing. Just folks jawing IMO. No one was saying there were NCAA violations.

BTW, we're just discussing stuff... nothing personal. :)