PDA

View Full Version : Hampton?

Ronbo
September 21st, 2006, 07:29 AM
If they go undefeated do they deserve a top 4 seed?

SoCon48
September 21st, 2006, 07:34 AM

Did they last year?

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 07:39 AM
That question was answered last year in the playoffs

Tribe4SF
September 21st, 2006, 07:41 AM
No. Much as I love the Pirates, The Richmond playoff game confirmed that the level of play they face on their schedule just doesn't measure up to other teams near the top of the rankings. The vaunted HU ground game has ground to a halt against A-10 teams the last two years. Grambling did them no favors with their start. Hampton will have to win some playoff games before they get respect as a top 10 team.

carney2
September 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM

No way in the eternal fires! They proved their (lack of a) case last year. I cannot get past that point when I fill out my weekly AGS ballot, and cannot bring myself to slot them in higher than 24th/25th. I wish that they got out and about more so that we could see what they've got.

DTSpider
September 21st, 2006, 09:20 AM
The sad thing is that IMO is they scheduled tougher opponents they could reach the higher levels. Based on talent, I thought that Hampton last year would have been in the top half of the A10. However, since they didn't play a lot of close games, they just got killed by Richmond in the second half. They don't appear to get tested enough during the season to be able to pull out games in the playoffs.

Now, that's not the players fault, but when your coach is also your AD, you do have control of the schedule. Why not schedule an A10 or SoCon team OOC?

I'd argue that a 9-2 UNH, UMass, Richmond, JMU (etc.) would be more deserving of a seed than a 11-0 Hampton team.

HIU 93
September 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM
The sad thing is that IMO is they scheduled tougher opponents they could reach the higher levels. Based on talent, I thought that Hampton last year would have been in the top half of the A10. However, since they didn't play a lot of close games, they just got killed by Richmond in the second half. They don't appear to get tested enough during the season to be able to pull out games in the playoffs.

Now, that's not the players fault, but when your coach is also your AD, you do have control of the schedule. Why not schedule an A10 or SoCon team OOC?

I'd argue that a 9-2 UNH, UMass, Richmond, JMU (etc.) would be more deserving of a seed than a 11-0 Hampton team.

1. Thank you for all the love you show us on AGS. The fact that someone who has probably never even been to Hampton, VA, let alone to "Our Home by the Sea", has started a thread to say what we do or do not deserve obviously means we are on your mind a lot more than you are on ours.

2. Do other undefeated teams RECEIVE a top 4 seed? If so, then you have your answer.

3. There are 10 football playing MEAC schools (we have to count WSSU, because this is their probation year and they have a MEAC schedule). There are no divisions and confernce championship games in MEAC football. Therefore we HAVE to play everyone in the MEAC at least once. That only leaves TWO non-conference games. A guaranteed money game between us and a SWAC team will probably ALWAYS be one of those games. This year, the game with Central State was somewhat forced down our throat. Long story short, we signed to play the Circle City Clasic (guaranteed money) with the understanding that it would be a conference game. The promoter was unable to secure another MEAC team or a SWAC team for the game (scheduling conflicts, money not right, etc.), and scheduled Central State. Not our choice, but not able to pull out of it because of the contract.

4. This is the MOST important- IF YOU ARE SO INTERESTED IN US PLAYING AN A-10 OR SOCON TEAM, THEN WRITE AND CALL THE ADs OF THOSE SCHOOLS AND DEMAND THAT THEY GIVE US A HOME AND HOME. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT, THEN STFU AND DON'T WORRY WHO, WHEN, OR WHERE WE PLAY.

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM
Somehow I knew this would go down the toilet

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM
Did they deserve that seed over 9-2 Furman? Obviously not. xidiotx

I doubt the selection committee will go down that road again. It has become apparent last season and this one that some of the teams from the weaker conferences with sterling records still don't deserve a seed in the playoffs.

I think to deserve a seed a team has to play and prove they can beat top competition in the regular season.

HIU 93
September 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Somehow I knew this would go down the toilet

Where is your letter to your AD? What about your phone call? You represent the National Champions. Surely, you can destroy poor lowly Hampton. Why don't you demand that your National Champion Mountaineers schedule a home and home with us IMMEDIATELY? I mean you are so concerned with who we play, right? Then do something about it. If you are not concerned, then stop talking about it.

HIU 93
September 21st, 2006, 10:00 AM
Wow! I didn't realize we had so much support!!! EIGHT posts by people who aren't even Hamptonians, and they are so concerned about the direction of our program. Well let your concern show! You can send your contributions to: Hampton University
Hampton, VA 23668

Thank you so much for your gifts!

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM
Where is your letter to your AD? What about your phone call? You represent the National Champions. Surely, you can destroy poor lowly Hampton. Why don't you demand that your National Champion Mountaineers schedule a home and home with us IMMEDIATELY? I mean you are so concerned with who we play, right? Then do something about it. If you are not concerned, then stop talking about it.

Someone asked a question, I gave my opinion. It happens to differ from yours, get over it and grow up

As you noted, we are the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, which means we won 4 straight games in the playoffs against the best competition I-AA can offer. When you do that, then you deserve respect, until then, enjoy your first round exits.

HIU 93
September 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM
Someone asked a question, I gave my opinion. It happens to differ from yours, get over it and grow up

As you noted, we are the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, which means we won 4 straight games in the playoffs against the best competition I-AA can offer. When you do that, then you deserve respect, until then, enjoy your first round exits.

Have you started writing those letters and making those phone calls yet?

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM

No, and don't plan on it

HIU 93
September 21st, 2006, 10:35 AM
No, and don't plan on it

Well, I guess you're not as concerned as you implied. That's cool- you can just STFU, that'll be okay, too!:smiley_wi

Linehawg
September 21st, 2006, 10:47 AM

Dear Mr. AD,
I was really impressed with the level of competition that Norfolk State provided as an out of conference opponent. They should do well this year and we should keep them in our schedule.
However, I have been less impressed with other MEAC teams that seem to possess a load of individual talent but fall apart in a playoff situation. They do, however, talk a lot but talking never won a football game. They also have some excuse about having to play each other to keep their cream-puff schedules intact. Until that changes, I'd highly recommend we avoid MEAC teams (NSU a clear exceptions) unless we're just looking for good half-time shows and not really interested in competitive football.
To me this is a simple "put up or shut up" proposition to MEAC teams. Until they can prove they deserve to be in the playoffs by actually winning playoff games consistently, we should minimize our MEAC opponents. What's good for the Big South seems fair for the MEAC.
Cheers,
Linehawg

Any recommended changes before I hit the transmit key?xcoffeex

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Well, I guess you're not as concerned as you implied. That's cool- you can just STFU, that'll be okay, too!:smiley_wi

I never stated I was concerned. Maybe you should check who you start b1tching at before you go on a rant

putter
September 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM
You can't be surprised at the responses can you? Hampton was rewarded last year for their success and was outclassed on the field. I agree with you on your schedule this year and you do the best you can but how can you give an 11-0 Hampton team this year a top 4 seed with their performance last year? ( I realize that last year was last year but that is how it works for everyone.)

Mr. C
September 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM
I am under the impression from my talks with App State officials that they contacted Hampton and literally every other school in I-AA about a couple of dates this fall (I've seen the documentation from the assistant AD that does ASU scheduling) and there was no interest in coming to Boone for a game. I imagine, if Hampton had been interested in coming to Boone this fall, that a home and home could have been easily arranged. I think that pretty much answers your post. Teams are not beating down the road to Boone to play App State, although James Madison should be commended for making the trip this season.

Mr. C
September 21st, 2006, 11:01 AM
I have applauded Hampton for scheduling the game with Grambling and that is a step in the right direction. As far as the Central State thing is concerned, there should have been language inserted in the contract that the Pirates could get out of the game, if the promoters didn't provide a Division I opponent to play them. That would have solved the problem in a hurry. The plain fact is that until Hampton regularly schedules and beats top teams, people around I-AA (including the selection committee) will continue to question just how good the Pirates are.

HIU 93
September 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM
Dear Mr. AD,
I was really impressed with the level of competition that Norfolk State provided as an out of conference opponent. They should do well this year and we should keep them in our schedule.
However, I have been less impressed with other MEAC teams that seem to possess a load of individual talent but fall apart in a playoff situation. They do, however, talk a lot but talking never won a football game. They also have some excuse about having to play each other to keep their cream-puff schedules intact. Until that changes, I'd highly recommend we avoid MEAC teams (NSU a clear exceptions) unless we're just looking for good half-time shows and not really interested in competitive football.
To me this is a simple "put up or shut up" proposition to MEAC teams. Until they can prove they deserve to be in the playoffs by actually winning playoff games consistently, we should minimize our MEAC opponents. What's good for the Big South seems fair for the MEAC.
Cheers,
Linehawg

Any recommended changes before I hit the transmit key?xcoffeex

Not at all- just a suggestion- since you don't care about the MEAC, and you don't care about Hampton- the STFU about us and stop bringing us up in your daily conversations. Send the e-mail. I'll make sure to share it with my folks as well.

HIU 93
September 21st, 2006, 11:07 AM
I never stated I was concerned. Maybe you should check who you start b1tching at before you go on a rant

Maybe you should check who you call a b***h before I decide to give you the opportunity to see who the b***h really is.

bandl
September 21st, 2006, 11:09 AM

No. If they had won a playoff game last year, or the year before that, then perhaps. But until they can actually prove they deserve to be one of the top teams in the playoff bracket by winning game, they do not deserve a top 4 seed. There is no question though that they have deserved a spot in the playoffs (automatic bid aside).

It doesn't really matter though if they are seeded or not, or if they are even one of the top 8 seeds. NC teams in the recent past have proven that as long as they are the best (and sometimes luckiest) team on the field, they will win.

:twocents:

putter
September 21st, 2006, 11:14 AM
No. If they had won a playoff game last year, or the year before that, then perhaps. But until they can actually prove they deserve to be one of the top teams in the playoff bracket by winning game, they do not deserve a top 4 seed. There is no question though that they have deserved a spot in the playoffs (automatic bid aside).

It doesn't really matter though if they are seeded or not, or if they are even one of the top 8 seeds. NC teams in the recent past have proven that as long as they are the best (and sometimes luckiest) team on the field, they will win.

:twocents:

I would have liked to see a more competitive game last year. Richmond had a good team, however, the #4 seed at home should not have been dominated like that. I was fortunate enough to watch Hampton's game against Norfolk State and Hampton looked good. IMO Richmond was at a higher level than Hampton was used to and when you are not used to that quality of team it is difficult to play against. For me, even if Hampton lost, a close game would have validated their quality for me.

Tailbone
September 21st, 2006, 11:23 AM
.....IF YOU ARE SO INTERESTED IN US PLAYING AN A-10 OR SOCON TEAM, THEN WRITE AND CALL THE ADs OF THOSE SCHOOLS AND DEMAND THAT THEY GIVE US A HOME AND HOME. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT, THEN STFU AND DON'T WORRY WHO, WHEN, OR WHERE WE PLAY....

Right. And Muhammed Ali should have arranged a contest with the NY golden gloves champ because Ali needed to prove something?

Get real. If Hampton wants/needs the respect (to ever receive consideration similar to last year) the onus is on them to prove they belong.

Until then, Hampton will remain the example of why SOS matters.

flexbone
September 21st, 2006, 11:23 AM
Maybe you should check who you call a b***h before I decide to give you the opportunity to see who the b***h really is.
An angry Black man?

flexbone
September 21st, 2006, 11:32 AM
It is always an excuse isn't it. The reason we don't play this team or that is because ....xyz, fill in the blank of which excuse to use next.
Fresno State, Florida St are 2 teams right off the top of my head that did not wait for Bigger schools to offer a home and home before stepping up and playing tougher competition, maybe Hampton needs to schedule tougher games, prove themselves on the road and those home-and-home schedules will follow.
Hampton is acting just like the youth of today - They expect respect and an automatic free pass to the upper echelon without earning it.

YoUDeeMan
September 21st, 2006, 11:36 AM
1. Thank you for all the love you show us on AGS. The fact that someone who has probably never even been to Hampton, VA, let alone to "Our Home by the Sea", has started a thread to say what we do or do not deserve obviously means we are on your mind a lot more than you are on ours.

2. Do other undefeated teams RECEIVE a top 4 seed? If so, then you have your answer.

3. There are 10 football playing MEAC schools (we have to count WSSU, because this is their probation year and they have a MEAC schedule). There are no divisions and confernce championship games in MEAC football. Therefore we HAVE to play everyone in the MEAC at least once. That only leaves TWO non-conference games. A guaranteed money game between us and a SWAC team will probably ALWAYS be one of those games. This year, the game with Central State was somewhat forced down our throat. Long story short, we signed to play the Circle City Clasic (guaranteed money) with the understanding that it would be a conference game. The promoter was unable to secure another MEAC team or a SWAC team for the game (scheduling conflicts, money not right, etc.), and scheduled Central State. Not our choice, but not able to pull out of it because of the contract.

4. This is the MOST important- IF YOU ARE SO INTERESTED IN US PLAYING AN A-10 OR SOCON TEAM, THEN WRITE AND CALL THE ADs OF THOSE SCHOOLS AND DEMAND THAT THEY GIVE US A HOME AND HOME. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT, THEN STFU AND DON'T WORRY WHO, WHEN, OR WHERE WE PLAY.

1) I've been to Hampton. 'Nuff said.

2) If CCSU finishes undefeated, they won't get a top seed. In fact, fair or not, they might not get in the playoffs. Scratch that argument.

3) Before contracts are signed, they should also be read carefully. If your administration was so concerned about the quality of your opponents, they should have looked past the dollar signs to see who you were playing. Oh, one can choose to break a contract. Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnext.

4) Hampton will play whomever they want. But don't expect respect to come to Hampton when they choose money and weak teams instead of playing top teams. Respect is earned. They blew last year's opportunity to a far superior yet unseeded Richmond. Until they earn it on the field, Hampton doesn't deserve a top seed.

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 11:39 AM

Thats funny, considering I never called you anything

putter
September 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM
Didn't we have this discussion last year? Despite all the actions or reasons the one thing that will stick out is the result of their playoff game...period! The question was posed to ask if Hampton finished 11-0 again should they again be seeded? Due to last years results the answer will be no. Not keep them out of the playoffs but not be seeded until they show it on the field. What is so hard to understand about that?

Linehawg
September 21st, 2006, 11:57 AM
Didn't we have this discussion last year? Despite all the actions or reasons the one thing that will stick out is the result of their playoff game...period! The question was posed to ask if Hampton finished 11-0 again should they again be seeded? Due to last years results the answer will be no. Not keep them out of the playoffs but not be seeded until they show it on the field. What is so hard to understand about that?

...and until that changes, we should all support the process that keeps weak, powder-puffs teams from getting limited, hard to come by, playoff berths. I don't care if they go undefeated for 10 straight years. If they're doing that by beating cellar-dwellars, they don't belong in the playoffs...period. When they finally start playing a 1-A and top 1-AA teams like we do, then they've got a beef if they don't make it. Until then, this is all just....:bawling:

Humble Steward
September 21st, 2006, 12:13 PM

I really do believe it's too early to even ask this question. Frankly, at this point I don't know who deserves a top 4 seed. However, the games speak for themselves and that means getting the "W" on any given saturday. :D

So let's not debate this scenario, but let's play some football. Time will tell when the playoffs commence in this years 2006 football season. Not what you did last season.;)

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 12:19 PM
...and until that changes, we should all support the process that keeps weak, powder-puffs teams from getting limited, hard to come by, playoff berths. I don't care if they go undefeated for 10 straight years. If they're doing that by beating cellar-dwellars, they don't belong in the playoffs...period. When they finally start playing a 1-A and top 1-AA teams like we do, then they've got a beef if they don't make it.

Lest we forget........
Southern Arkansas (Div II) at No. 24 Nicholls State
Concordia-St. Paul (Div II) at No. 19 North Dakota State
Lock Haven (Div II) at No. 17 Southern Illinois
Slippery Rock (Div II) at No. 7 Youngstown State
Tarleton State (Div II) at No. 18 Texas State
Bloomsburg (Div II) at No. 8 James Madison
Fort Lewis (Div II) at No. 6 Cal Poly
West Virginia Tech (DII) at No. 16 McNeese State
West Chester (DII) at No. 15 Delaware
Chadron State (DII) at No. 11 Montana State
West Georgia (DII) at No. 4 Furman
North Dakota (DII) at No. 3 UNI
No. 4 University of Northern Iowa at Drake

And didn't someone play Mars Hill?

LacesOut
September 21st, 2006, 12:20 PM
Playoffs?? PLAYOFFS??!! Did you say PLAYOFFS??!!

http://www2.indystar.com/library/factfiles/sports/football/indpls_colts/2001_season/img/moragone.jpg

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM

point taken, but IMHO, Mars Hill could beat 1/2 the teams in the SWAC

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 12:33 PM

Is that an excuse for playing them?

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 12:35 PM
Is that an excuse for playing them?

No, we only played them b/c it was a last minute deal. I'm not excusing us playing them, but to be honest, that game doesn't hurt us, b/c our in conference SOS will always save us. The same can't be said for teams like Hmapton and Coastal, b/c they are the class of their conference and the rest is questionable

Tailbone
September 21st, 2006, 12:43 PM
Lest we forget........

Yeah, I see your point!
Lottsa schools with a cupcake on the schedule.

Check out these schedules!

Grambling

Hampton University
Alabama A&M
University of Houston
Prairie View A&M
Mississippi Valley State
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Jackson State
Texas Southern
Alabama State
Southern University
Alcorn State

Hampton

Grambling State
HOWARD
NORTH CAROLINA A&T
Morgan State
Delaware State
Central State (OH)
NORFOLK STATE
South Carolina State
WINSTON-SALEM STATE
BETHUNE-COOKMAN
Florida A&M

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I see your point!
Lottsa schools with a cupcake on the schedule.

Check out these schedules!

Grambling

Hampton University
Alabama A&M
University of Houston
Prairie View A&M
Mississippi Valley State
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Jackson State
Texas Southern
Alabama State
Southern University
Alcorn State

Hampton

Grambling State
HOWARD
NORTH CAROLINA A&T
Morgan State
Delaware State
Central State (OH)
NORFOLK STATE
South Carolina State
WINSTON-SALEM STATE
BETHUNE-COOKMAN
Florida A&M

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Tailbone
September 21st, 2006, 12:54 PM

If Hampton had a steady diet of Chadrons, North Dakotas, or even Carrol Colleges (NAIA), we wouldn't even be having this discussion because the Pirates wouldn't have enough wins to qualify for the playoffs anyway.

Mr. C
September 21st, 2006, 01:07 PM
Lest we forget........

Yes someone played Mars Hill. After playing N.C. State. After playing James Madison and after asking all the other teams in I-AA to come to Boone and not getting any takers. Most of the schools on your list actually play tough teams in their other non-conference games. In the past two years, the only respectable non-conference game that Hampton has played is Grambling. So how do you answer that?

jstate83
September 21st, 2006, 01:15 PM
Please leave the SWAC out of this playoff pi$$in' match. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM
No, we only played them b/c it was a last minute deal. I'm not excusing us playing them, but to be honest, that game doesn't hurt us, b/c our in conference SOS will always save us. The same can't be said for teams like Hmapton and Coastal, b/c they are the class of their conference and the rest is questionable

It is hypocritical. Let me first say I don't care who a team schedules. There are circumstances that lead schools to schedule various teams for various reasons. But it seems as if everyone is concerned about Hampys schedule not being up to par when others though the years have scheduled cupcakes and not much is even said. SOS is a subjective, a myth. I am sure there are fans or DI-A or whatever it is now, having the same discussion about playing IAA teams, know matter what conference. I am sure if there was time to look at all the schedules over the past 30 years you would see some of the same supar type of teams on schedules that you are claiming Hampy has.

DTSpider
September 21st, 2006, 01:25 PM
Wow, this thread really blew up.

It may be lost in the mix, but if you ever get a chance, definitely check out a game at Hampton. We had a great time last year and the Hampton fans treated us really well. I'd love to go back for another game.

I understand why Hampton has their schedule ($$$), but if you want to get a seed as a top 4 team you've got to play tough opponents. Until the rest of the MEAC brings up their teams that'll have to be OOC. Grambling was a good start.

Any chance Hampton could get a 1A game? I think that would be a good experience for them as well.

FWIW, I've heard that Richmond at least has (if not still actively) considered Hampton in the 12 game seasons. I'm not sure if we'll schedule 11 or 12 games in those years but I'd love to see that matchup again. We've had a good series in basketball & we do have a former player on the staff.

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 01:29 PM
It is hypocritical. Let me first say I don't care who a team schedules. There are circumstances that lead schools to schedule various teams for various reasons. But it seems as if everyone is concerned about Hampys schedule not being up to par when others though the years have scheduled cupcakes and not much is even said. SOS is a subjective, a myth. I am sure there are fans or DI-A or whatever it is now, having the same discussion about playing IAA teams, know matter what conference. I am sure if there was time to look at all the schedules over the past 30 years you would see some of the same supar type of teams on schedules that you are claiming Hampy has.

I understand what you are saying, but I have to disagree, SOS is not a myth. The Southern Conference has been one of the better I-AA conferences for years, whereas the MEAC has been and continues to be one of the worst. In the case of Hampton, they only have 3 games that are even worth worrying about on their schedule(Gram, SCSU, BCC) and thats being generous considering Gram is 0-3. In the case of the SoCon, A10, Gateway, etc, once conference starts, every week is a tough game. Looking through App's schedule, I see 8 games that could go either way. To me, thats a vast contrast with that of the MEAC.

Mr. C
September 21st, 2006, 01:30 PM
What is hypocritical? If Hampton played even one A-10 or SoCon team instead of the teams it does, this question would be moot. If you want a seed, you have to earn a seed.

putter
September 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM
I don't think it is that hypocritical. If your conference stinks then there is nothing you can do with that but you had better try to schedule top OOC teams to make up for that (Grambling qualifies!). Again, I think after the playoff performance last year it made people really look at Hampton's overall strength because of how the game went. The loss was not that big of a deal to me as upsets happen, but what was a big surprise was how Richmond dominated that game and looked like a much better program all around. Thus causing people to question, even at 11-0, was Hampton really one of the top 4 teams in the nation?

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM
Yes someone played Mars Hill. After playing N.C. State. After playing James Madison and after asking all the other teams in I-AA to come to Boone and not getting any takers. Most of the schools on your list actually play tough teams in their other non-conference games. In the past two years, the only respectable non-conference game that Hampton has played is Grambling. So how do you answer that?

So why not enter into a home and home with another so-called powerhouse team if you can't get anyone to go to Boone? So having a cupcake on your schedule is ok if you play a D1A school? What if you only have 2 non conference games a year or even one are you gonna schedule a game with a so-called powerhouse team and have just the team and maybe the bands in attendence, football is a business. I am sure that is why Appy would schedule a Mars Hill to come to Boone, so why knock someone else for doing the same? Look at the other side of things, it is not always as simple as 1, 2, 3.

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 01:36 PM
So why not enter into a home and home with another so-called powerhouse team if you can't get anyone to go to Boone? So having a cupcake on your schedule is ok if you play a D1A school? What if you only have 2 non conference games a year or even one are you gonna schedule a game with a so-called powerhouse team and have just the team and maybe the bands in attendence, football is a business. I am sure that is why Appy would schedule a Mars Hill to come to Boone, so why knock someone else for doing the same? Look at the other side of things, it is not always as simple as 1, 2, 3.

as said before, Mars Hill was a last minute thing, kinda hard to schedule a home and home that late

you are right, football is a business, but you can't sacrifice quality for $$$

Tailbone
September 21st, 2006, 01:37 PM
..... the only respectable non-conference game that Hampton has played is Grambling......

Huh? :confused: xidiotx :rolleyes:

No Offense "C", just liked the xidiotx smiley.

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM
as said before, Mars Hill was a last minute thing, kinda hard to schedule a home and home that late

you are right, football is a business, but you can't sacrifice quality for $$$

Why not start looking for a home and home team earlier, who said they had to wait until it was too late. You are missing my point. I don't have a problem with Appy scheduling Mars, but don't blame others for doing the same, for what ever reason. As for your last statement I am sure your AD would disagree.

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM
Answer me this?

If App State and Hampton both finish 8-3, what would happen?

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 01:40 PM
Why not start looking for a home and home team earlier, who said they had to wait until it was too late. You are missing my point. I don't have a problem with Appy scheduling Mars, but don't blame others for doing the same, for what ever reason. As for you last statement I am sure your AD would disagree.

it was a last minute b/c someone else dropped out, not b/c we procrastinated

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 01:42 PM
it was a last minute b/c someone else dropped out, not b/c we procrastinated but I am sure this is not the first time someone dropped out on Appy. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOU SCHEDULING MARS. So you are saying that Appy has never, other than last minute dropouts played a cupcake team?

Answer me this?

The same thing that would happen if Appy was 8-3 and Hampy was 11-0.

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Answer me this?

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 01:47 PM
but I am sure this is not the first time someone dropped out on Appy. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOU SCHEDULING MARS. So you are saying that Appy has never, other than last minute dropouts played a cupcake team?

No, ofcourse not. But 1 cupcake doesn't hurt us, it kills Hampton, b/c their conference is already full of them, see my point?

If Hampton goes 8-3, they miss the playoffs

Mr. Tiger
September 21st, 2006, 02:31 PM
I don't think Hampton is very concerned about seeding right now. They still have to win in conference play and Bethune Cookman is having a good season and could be a threat. Last season, Hampton was not in very many challenging games and when they met Richmond they were not battle tested. This year, they scheduled Grambling and got a close overtime win and it appears Bethune Cookman, who simply dismantled South Carolina State, is ready to give them another test. Does Hampton need more challenging opponents? Yes. But a lot of teams from different conferences fall into that category.

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
This year, they scheduled Grambling and got a close overtime win and it appears Bethune Cookman, who simply dismantled South Carolina State, is ready to give them another test. Does Hampton need more challenging opponents? Yes. But a lot of teams from different conferences fall into that category.

Hampy didn't schedule THE ICON. Playing in a non-traditional classic is the same as the playoffs, you don't know who you are going to play.

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 03:14 PM
I have applauded Hampton for scheduling the game with Grambling and that is a step in the right direction. As far as the Central State thing is concerned, there should have been language inserted in the contract that the Pirates could get out of the game, if the promoters didn't provide a Division I opponent to play them. That would have solved the problem in a hurry.

First off Hampy didn't schedule the game against THE ICON. Since you've talked to the Appy people, have you talked to the Circle City Classic (CCC) people and asked if Central was a last minute replacement or the only school that had a open date at the time.

JALMOND
September 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM

Let me first say that, with the schedule they have, Hampton should go undefeated. But does it mean they should be a top four seed? I say no as Hampton has not shown that they are a top four seed, and with their schedule, unfortunately, they won't get a chance to. S.O.S. plays a great deal in determining seeds. Portland State usually starts off every year with a cupcake and then the cupcake disappears. Last year Western Washington was on the schedule and we ended up playing Oregon State. This year Southern Oregon was on the schedule and we instead are playing the Ducks. Those are cupcakes, those are poisonous mushrooms!
To add, after playing these "mushrooms", we then have to play the Big Sky conference schedule. Ugh!

NYSigma
September 21st, 2006, 05:47 PM
Here we go again,

If Hampton or any team for that matter goes undefeated and is ranked as high as Hampton was at the time last season then of course they deserve a seed!! You should not be basing a seeding on a team's previous perforance in another year period. who cares what a team did they are different players coaches etc. Of course playing a tougher schedule (in theory) will help a team but Hampton beat everyone who was on their schedule. It won't matter anyway if a team is good they will win on the road or at home. JMU did it in 2004!!

Mr. C
September 21st, 2006, 07:16 PM
Why not start looking for a home and home team earlier, who said they had to wait until it was too late. You are missing my point. I don't have a problem with Appy scheduling Mars, but don't blame others for doing the same, for what ever reason. As for your last statement I am sure your AD would disagree.
You obviously didn't read the whole thread very closely. I know App State would have gladly scheduled a home and home with just about anybody. I understand you don't have a problem with D-IIs (or that anyone else in the SWAC for that matter). But other do. As far as scheduling a D-II is concerned, or other poor I-AA teams, the last time ASU went out of its way to schedule a D-II was in 1995. As a matter of fact, they turned down a chance to play I-A North Texas (Jerry Moore's former program) on the road and instead scheduled D-II Edinboro at home. The AD was taken to task for this. The next time ASU played a D-II (West Virginia Tech) was in 2001 after 9/11 and the cancellation of its I-A game with Troy State. In the same time, ASU has played Wake Forest numerous times, Clemson, Auburn, Hawaii, Wyoming, Kansas, LSU and North Carolina State. My whole point has been all along that teams that want to be getting seeds and at-large playoff bids, they need to prove themselves against the best teams.

App State ended up with Mars Hill in part because Eastern Kentucky decided not to renew a long-term series. But whatever the reason, people at ASU don't take well to such light-weight schedules. Folks at Hampton should expect better of their administration, too. They are too good a program not to play the best schools they can.

PIRATETIZED1
September 21st, 2006, 07:50 PM
:(

Okay. My turn for my :twocents: !

Posted by Ronbo

I want to personally Thank You for asking this question at THIS time!! :mad:

My Answer: NO! : smh :

Posted by HIU 93

HIU 93....
There's no bigger supporter of Hampton Athletics than me! Having said that, it's not a matter of "love" as you've stated, but "RESPECT" (what the Pirates do on the field of play).

Posted by HIU 93

As I'm sure you realize, they do not have to call HU...IMHO, HU should be doing the calling.
Bottomline, HU needed to show that they were better than Richmond, and they did not. So I understand most feelings about THE Hampton Pirates (except for carney2!).

Posted by carney2

No way in the eternal fires! They proved their (lack of a) case last year. I cannot get past that point when I fill out my weekly AGS ballot, and cannot bring myself to slot them in higher than 24th/25th. I wish that they got out and about more so that we could see what they've got.

Your dislike or hate is really unnecessary. If undefeated (I'm not looking past SCState nor BC-C!!), your opinion of 24th or 25th shows your lack of reasoning. Quite sophmoric & stupid! True, HU stunk up the joint against Richmond...we all know their schedule was soft. The person(s) responsible for the scheduling probably did NOT have vision 3 to 5 years prior of the talent HU was going to have. True their offense was 1 dimensional. Right after the Richmond game, the OC was fired, a new OC was hired. But you REALLY do not believe if HU finishes undefeated that they are going to be worse then 24 other teams. :nonono2:

I wish that they got out and about more so that we could see what they've got. <---- I agree with you here. HU is working on either hiring a new Head Coach or finding a new AD. I think the message has gone all the way to the Administration, a tougher schedule has to be put in place. IMO, the Classics are not necessarily the way to do it. It depends on the opponents. The last info I received for SI office, HU & JMU are still working out an agreement for a Home & Home. I see nothing wrong with HU playing UNC, Duke, UVA, etc. More $$$$$$ than any of the Classic games.

Posted by Mr.C
I am under the impression from my talks with App State officials that they contacted Hampton and literally every other school in I-AA about a couple of dates this fall (I've seen the documentation from the assistant AD that does ASU scheduling) and there was no interest in coming to Boone for a game. I imagine, if Hampton had been interested in coming to Boone this fall, that a home and home could have been easily arranged. I think that pretty much answers your post. Teams are not beating down the road to Boone to play App State, although James Madison should be commended for making the trip this season.

I have applauded Hampton for scheduling the game with Grambling and that is a step in the right direction. As far as the Central State thing is concerned, there should have been language inserted in the contract that the Pirates could get out of the game, if the promoters didn't provide a Division I opponent to play them. That would have solved the problem in a hurry. The plain fact is that until Hampton regularly schedules and beats top teams, people around I-AA (including the selection committee) will continue to question just how good the Pirates are.

1. As others have said to me...provide ALL of us proof of these documentations. As far as I'm concerned, you made that up.

2. Schools participating in Classics do not have a 'say-so' as to their opponent.

3. Your last statement in BOLD...I agree with that statement.

Posted by DTSpider
DTSpider

I don't really disagree with what you've stated here.....However, just know that Coach Taylor is NOT planning to be Coach & AD together for long. No one has been EVER able to do the best job in each area. If you doubt this statement, ask Vince Dooley & Barry Alvarez!!!!! Plus HU like many schools have scheduled their games 3 to 5 years ago. Taylor only took over last year. He cannot be blamed for this schedule. Here-say has it that there was a Div.I-AA opponent, but they dropped out. Organizers claimed Central State was the only team available.

I'm a realist. I've tried to be objective & honest based on the information available to me. I cheer for Hampton more than fan or alum. I along with a select few sat at ARMSTRONG FIELD (in all kinds of weather) through losing seasons in Div.II from 1969 - 1973. In 1969 & 1970 the Pirates did NOT win a game. 1971 & 1972 they only defeated St. Paul's College. And in 1973 they were 2-7-1. So for us, we have come a long ways. I agree, we have the talent to do better via scheduling tougher teams.

PIRATETIZED :(
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

Mr. Tiger
September 21st, 2006, 07:58 PM
Hampy didn't schedule THE ICON. Playing in a non-traditional classic is the same as the playoffs, you don't know who you are going to play.

You are right. Poor choice of words. That was the MEAC/SWAC Challenge game. :nod:

Mr. C
September 21st, 2006, 08:15 PM
1. As others have said to me...provide ALL of us proof of these documentations. As far as I'm concerned, you made that up.

2. Schools participating in Classics do not have a 'say-so' as to their opponent.

1. Boy, skeptical, aren't we? What am I suppose to do, steal the file the assistant AD showed me, secretly copy it and post PDFs on AGS? You can say that I made it up, but I trust that what this person told me is true. He's been extremely cooperative with me since his playing days.

2. If you are involved with signing a contract with someone, you can negotiate ANY language that is written into the contract. Who says a team can't have control over what teams they play in classics? Just because it hasn't been done before?

Mr. Tiger
September 21st, 2006, 08:32 PM
1. Boy, skeptical, aren't we? What am I suppose to do, steal the file the assistant AD showed me, secretly copy it and post PDFs on AGS? You can say that I made it up, but I trust that what this person told me is true. He's been extremely cooperative with me since his playing days.

2. If you are involved with signing a contract with someone, you can negotiate ANY language that is written into the contract. Who says a team can't have control over what teams they play in classics? Just because it hasn't been done before?

The promoter makes the selection of teams because he is the one who deals with the expenses. He picks a matchup that he believes will draw fans, contacts the schools, get them to agree on a payout, he gets the gate, pays the teams, and deals with the expenses, and the rest is profit for him or her. I might have left out a few steps, but that is how a classic works. The promoter is the one who takes the risk, so he calls the shots. If it rains and the classic only draw 14,000 fans, then he still has to come up with the payouts and take the loss.

mikebigg
September 21st, 2006, 08:45 PM
Any team whose conference has an autobid and goes undefeated should not be given a top 4 seed... They have earned it. If the conference has been deemed worthy of the autobid...that cinches it.

I don't care what conference you play in, those old rivalries give credence to the term..."any given saturday". Hampton was undefeated in their conference last year...do you realize how difficult it will be for them to go undefeated another year. The hell they wouldn't deserve a top 4 team.

Forget what happened last year...Each team should be judged off what it has done this year. Last year is gone...and so are most of the players. Each year's team takes on it's own identity.

Linehawg
September 21st, 2006, 09:14 PM
Here we go again,

If Hampton or any team for that matter goes undefeated and is ranked as high as Hampton was at the time last season then of course they deserve a seed!! You should not be basing a seeding on a team's previous perforance in another year period. who cares what a team did they are different players coaches etc. Of course playing a tougher schedule (in theory) will help a team but Hampton beat everyone who was on their schedule. It won't matter anyway if a team is good they will win on the road or at home. JMU did it in 2004!!

If you load your schedule with cream-puff cellar dwellars who could get beat by most good high school teams, of course you're going to go undefeated and look good but you DON'T deserve a playoff bid. Those are reserved for teams that earned it. I'm no fan of automatic bids but since they exist, that makes the open slots that much more precious. Put a D-1 school on the schedule, THEN I'll be impressed.

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 09:18 PM
Any team whose conference has an autobid and goes undefeated should not be given a top 4 seed... They have earned it. If the conference has been deemed worthy of the autobid...that cinches it.

I don't care what conference you play in, those old rivalries give credence to the term..."any given saturday". Hampton was undefeated in their conference last year...do you realize how difficult it will be for them to go undefeated another year. The hell they wouldn't deserve a top 4 team.

Forget what happened last year...Each team should be judged off what it has done this year. Last year is gone...and so are most of the players. Each year's team takes on it's own identity.

OK, so say Hampton does go 11-0 again, and gets spanked in the first round of the playoffs again, then what? To me, that would be a trend and tell me alot about the MEAC

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 09:20 PM
I understand you don't have a problem with D-IIs (or that anyone else in the SWAC for that matter). But other do. .

Yeah I see what you mean. Only the SWAC is scheduling DII's. No ranked team would ever play them.

Appy vs Mars Hill

DI-AA is to DIA as DII is to DIAA a payday.

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 09:21 PM
OK, so say Hampton does go 11-0 again, and gets spanked in the first round of the playoffs again, then what? To me, that would be a trend and tell me alot about the MEAC

Take their automatic bid. It is the right thing to do.

AppGuy04
September 21st, 2006, 09:24 PM
Take their automatic bid. It is the right thing to do.

Thats not my call, but it would sure show alot.

siugrad99
September 21st, 2006, 09:32 PM
Cry me a river buddy. As we've said for 2 years now. Until you step up and beat someone you have no room to talk. If you think Hampton is so much better then maybe they should see about joining a conference who actually plays someone with a pulse. Don't blame all the other schools because Hampton got sucked into a crappy deal with there conference. Hampton chooses who is on their schedule and until they play someone other than the little sisters of the poor nobody is going to take them too seriously.

PIRATETIZED1
September 21st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Posted by Mr. C

1. Boy, skeptical, aren't we?

Ya' dern right!!!

PIRATETIZED :eyebrow:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAD
September 21st, 2006, 09:48 PM
IMO D-IA games should not be counted period whether you win or lose.
If the "If you are a top 4 seed and you get your a$$ kicked in the first round by 20+ points you don't get a top 4 seed the following season." applies to everyone not just Coastal or Hampton I have absolutely no problem with it

MACHIAVELLI
September 21st, 2006, 09:51 PM
Cry me a river buddy. As we've said for 2 years now. Until you step up Hampton chooses who is on their schedule and until they play someone other than the little sisters of the poor nobody is going to take them too seriously.

Appy vs Mars Hill

GeauxColonels
September 21st, 2006, 09:53 PM
Appy vs Mars Hill
You forgot that we also play Assumption College later on this year. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Yeah, I know, the AD is a MORON! :( :( :(

Mr. C
September 21st, 2006, 09:54 PM
Ya' dern right!!!

PIRATETIZED :eyebrow:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why? You don't believe your team would turn down a chance to play the defending national champs? Better believe it, because the contact was made.

Mr. C
September 21st, 2006, 09:56 PM
DI-AA is to DI as DII is to DIAA a payday.
D I-AA IS D-I.

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 08:08 AM
Right. And Muhammed Ali should have arranged a contest with the NY golden gloves champ because Ali needed to prove something?

Get real. If Hampton wants/needs the respect (to ever receive consideration similar to last year) the onus is on them to prove they belong.

Until then, Hampton will remain the example of why SOS matters.

Check who started the post. We don't want/need/desire anything from you. This post was started by another of the "MEAC is no good, Hampton is no good" guys who thinks we don't deserve a home game, playoff game, what the ***** ever. The NCAA can send us to the moon for all I care. We are going to play ball, we are going to play to win. If we win, then we will move on. If we lose, then we will move on to the next season and start again. I know you wish we would go away. Good. Keep wishing. It won't come true.

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
An angry Black man?
Very inventive stereotype- want to try for another one?

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 08:31 AM
1) I've been to Hampton. 'Nuff said.

2) If CCSU finishes undefeated, they won't get a top seed. In fact, fair or not, they might not get in the playoffs. Scratch that argument.

3) Before contracts are signed, they should also be read carefully. If your administration was so concerned about the quality of your opponents, they should have looked past the dollar signs to see who you were playing. Oh, one can choose to break a contract. Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnext.

4) Hampton will play whomever they want. But don't expect respect to come to Hampton when they choose money and weak teams instead of playing top teams. Respect is earned. They blew last year's opportunity to a far superior yet unseeded Richmond. Until they earn it on the field, Hampton doesn't deserve a top seed.

1. Didn't ask for your respect, don't want or need it.
2. We do what we want, when we want, and we don't have to come crawling to you for your permission.
3. We didn't ask for a damn thing. This post was started by a non-Hamptonian.

JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR FOR THE ILLITERATE AMONG US- THIS THREAD WAS STARTED BY SOMEONE WHO IS NOT A HAMPTONIAN. THIS IS Y'ALL'S ISSUE. WE DON'T CARE WHERE WE PLAY. WE ARE PLAYING TO WIN.

AppGuy04
September 22nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Then don't post in the thread. It is a valid question

OL FU
September 22nd, 2006, 08:37 AM
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I understand the arguments on why an undefeated Hampton should not get seeded. But here is a different take and the one that I think has to rule. As long as the NCAA thinks that the MEAC should be an AQ conference, then an 11-0 record for a team from an AQ conference gets seeded. :nod:

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 08:43 AM
It is always an excuse isn't it. The reason we don't play this team or that is because ....xyz, fill in the blank of which excuse to use next.
Fresno State, Florida St are 2 teams right off the top of my head that did not wait for Bigger schools to offer a home and home before stepping up and playing tougher competition, maybe Hampton needs to schedule tougher games, prove themselves on the road and those home-and-home schedules will follow.
Hampton is acting just like the youth of today - They expect respect and an automatic free pass to the upper echelon without earning it.

The "youth of today"? You must be on of them to make an idiotic statement like that. Since you want to enter into an age debate- Hampton was founded in 1868, GaSU in 1906. You still want to talk about age? How about money? Oh, that's right, this is about respect. Well, how about this- I respect that GaSU must not have taught you reading comprehension, because THIS POST WAS STARTED BY A NON-HAMPTONIAN. WE DON'T WANT, NEED, OR DESIRE YOUR RESPECT. IF YOU WANT TO PLAY US, THEN SET IT UP. IF NOT, THE STFU. IF WE WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU WE WILL CALL. WHY DON'T YOU HOLD YOUR BREATH UNTIL WE DO.

flexbone
September 22nd, 2006, 08:59 AM
The "youth of today"? You must be on of them to make an idiotic statement like that. Since you want to enter into an age debate- Hampton was founded in 1868, GaSU in 1906. You still want to talk about age? How about money? Oh, that's right, this is about respect. Well, how about this- I respect that GaSU must not have taught you reading comprehension, because THIS POST WAS STARTED BY A NON-HAMPTONIAN. WE DON'T WANT, NEED, OR DESIRE YOUR RESPECT. IF YOU WANT TO PLAY US, THEN SET IT UP. IF NOT, THE STFU. IF WE WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU WE WILL CALL. WHY DON'T YOU HOLD YOUR BREATH UNTIL WE DO.
You are getting off the subject.
What does the age of the university have to do with this?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2006, 09:13 AM
The subject is, if Hampton goes undefeated, do they deserve a top seed?

The answer is: It depends.

Would the be behind App St. if the Mountaineers go 10-1? Probably. Let's say Appy goes 8-3 with losses to a I-A, GSU and Chatty. What about then? I'd say it should go to Hampton if they're 11-0.

Would they be behind UNH at 11-0? Probably. Let's say UNH goes 8-3 with losses to Hofstra, Villanova, and JMU. What about then? I'd probably say that it should go to Hampton if they're 11-0.

It's way too early to be speculating. Hampton has a good team - as a matter of fact, I'll be seeing them for myself in the Meadowlands tomorrow at 4:00PM. I'm an AGS voter, and I have a "microphone", so to speak - if I think they're good, believe you me, it will be reflected in my rankings.

Hampton can do nothing about their MEAC league-mates. If they're bad, they're bad. All they can do is beat them. However, they can do something about their OOC games, and they have elected to play three other HBCUs: SWAC's Grambling (nationally ranked), Central State (D-II) and transitional Winston-Salem State (provisional MEAC). The Grambling win will help, but the other OOC games don't really help their playoff case should they win.

Should they be trying to build a playoff case? If you love the I-AA playoffs, you say "yes". Why not schedule App St, Richmond or William & Mary? It's not a tough travel assignment, it's a game which proves your battle-worthiness and it brings recognition to your school.

But I can also see the "no" case. Why give up the big bucks of a classic game against D-II Central State? Can you deny Grambling St/Hampton is a great matchup? And isn't it worthwhile to schedule WSS when they're going to be in the MEAC very soon?

That's just my :twocents:

flexbone
September 22nd, 2006, 09:19 AM
Let me make this perfectly CLEAR.
I am rooting for Hampton. I am not a Hamptionian.
I am looking at this from an objective point of view.
The statements you are making HIU 93, appear to be coming from someone who is VERY passionate about this post. I, too, get crazy in some of my posts, so I am not knocking you for that.
What I am saying is - Step away from the situation, take a deep breath, calm down and look at it objectively.
Hampton is not getting the LOVE you wish them to. What is causing this?
Well, Lack of a strong schedule, Poor performance in the playoffs.
How can Hampton get the LOVE?
Simple - Better non-conference schedule and better performance verse the tougher teams.
As I indicated in a previous post Fresno ST, Florida St are two teams who did not wait for the Home-and-Home schedule to schedule the Tougher teams. They realized to get the respect, ie. Home Games, they had to go out and earn it first. They took what the so-called Bigger schools gave them( you come to our house we aint going to play you at yours - you are not recognized) and have brought varying degrees of recognition to each program. While writing this post I just thought of Southern Miss who did the same thing even making a slogan to promote their cause - remember the "ANY PLACE ANY TIME" theme they used.

flexbone
September 22nd, 2006, 09:28 AM
THIS POST WAS STARTED BY A NON-HAMPTONIAN. WE DON'T WANT, NEED, OR DESIRE YOUR RESPECT. IF YOU WANT TO PLAY US, THEN SET IT UP. IF NOT, THE STFU. IF WE WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU WE WILL CALL. WHY DON'T YOU HOLD YOUR BREATH UNTIL WE DO.[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

This is what I'm talking about. This post is irrational.
I may be wrong, but by your previous post I would take it that you are looking for RESPECT. Your passionate about your school and you don't like others saying they are not up to snuff.

As far as "IF YOU WANT TO PLAY US, THEN SET IT UP" This too is somewhat irrational. If you want RESPECT you need to earn it not wait for someone else to give it to you, ie, set it up.

You are right if you don't want respect, dont do anything and keep on keepin on. Which is fine.
If you want respect - go out and get it.

Gordon Shumway
September 22nd, 2006, 09:42 AM
I apologize for straying OT a little, but I had to respond to this.

Mr. C....I assume your comment was relating to the attempt to backfill the late loss of the EKU game. I don't doubt at all what you are saying, but don't you think the wording is just a tad disingenuous. To put it bluntly, if you read between the lines here, you are intimating that ASU had to play Mars Hill because all the 1-AA teams were afraid to come to Boone. Wouldn't it have been a little more fair to state it something like this:

"ASU needed a home game and tried to replace the EKU cancellation with a 1-AA team, but was unsuccessful. This was not a surprise because most all teams had their schedules set, and also would have had to break a contract with another team to accomodate ASU. It is not easy replacing a late cancellation with a quality opponent, so they had no choice but to schedule a respectable DII team."

I have no idea if UNH would want to play ASU or not, but I think we can use their schedule to illustrate what I am saying. They had no off weeks after the first game.

@Northwestern
Stony Brook
@Dartmouth (yearly in-state rivalry)
8 - A10 conference games

Surely ASU didn't expect the UNH AD to say "Wow, what an opportunity. I would love to play Northwestern & ASU back-to-back on the road, and be left with only 4 home games. I'll get right on the phone with Stony Brook."

Once again, I am only using this example to illustrate the point. I would expect that most 1-AA programs would have similar scheduling issues as well.

It has to be very difficult for an AD to backfill a late cancellation. Army backed out late against UNH last year, and they ended up having to travel cross country to play a very good UC Davis (did I get it rightxlolx ) team as a backfill.

YoUDeeMan
September 22nd, 2006, 09:52 AM
1. Didn't ask for your respect, don't want or need it.
2. We do what we want, when we want, and we don't have to come crawling to you for your permission.
3. We didn't ask for a damn thing. This post was started by a non-Hamptonian.

JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR FOR THE ILLITERATE AMONG US- THIS THREAD WAS STARTED BY SOMEONE WHO IS NOT A HAMPTONIAN. THIS IS Y'ALL'S ISSUE. WE DON'T CARE WHERE WE PLAY. WE ARE PLAYING TO WIN.[/B]

Actually, "damn things" were asked. Among other things, posters who mentioned Hampton's weak schedule were asked to write to their schools or STFU (a phrase used often by most well educated people) and AppGuy04 was asked to check on who he called a b***c. For people who are challenged with reading comprehension skills, AppGuy04 never said anyone was a b***h.

Another news flash for the illiterate: this is a posting forum. Opinions make up the majority of the posts. And, although this may bother some people, non-Hamptonians will continue to have opinions regarding Hampton. Last time I checked, that was legal. Democrats have opinions about Republicans and Republicans have opinions about Democrats....where will it stop?? Somebody has to end this thing we call "democracy", before it gets out of hand! STFU everyone!

To quote one of my favorite leaders of free thinking and self-confidence: I know you wish we would go away. Good. Keep wishing. It won't come true.

Go DSU!

89Hen
September 22nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
As long as the NCAA thinks that the MEAC should be an AQ conference, then an 11-0 record for a team from an AQ conference gets seeded. :nod:
Don't agree. There are four seeds. There are eight autos. There are nine applicants. The math doesn't add up to a guaranteed seed to me. Is an 11-0 record necessarily mean a stronger team than a 10-1 record with a I-A loss from a tougher conference? For arguements sake, let's say HU went 11-0 and UNH, Montana, AppSt and Illinois State all went 10-1 with their lone losses all being to I-A teams. You really need a rule that would give an 11-0 Hampton a seed over one of them?

OL FU
September 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
Don't agree. There are four seeds. There are eight autos. There are nine applicants. The math doesn't add up to a guaranteed seed to me. Is an 11-0 record necessarily mean a stronger team than a 10-1 record with a I-A loss from a tougher conference? For arguements sake, let's say HU went 11-0 and UNH, Montana, AppSt and Illinois State all went 10-1 with their lone losses all being to I-A teams. You really need a rule that would give an 11-0 Hampton a seed over one of them?

I'll agree with the above scenario but that is not going to be typical

Typical is going to be some are 8-3 and some are 9-2 and maybe 10-1. Under a set of circumstances like 2005, I think you almost have to seed Hampton, especially if the polls have them in the top four.

DTSpider
September 22nd, 2006, 11:05 AM
Last year I agree with OL FU that you can't take a team #2 in the polls and not seed them.

Now this year if Hampton is 11-0 but #6 in the polls that would be a good reason not to seed them if 4 out the top 5 are playoff participants.

89Hen
September 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM
I'll agree with the above scenario but that is not going to be typical

Typical is going to be some are 8-3 and some are 9-2 and maybe 10-1. Under a set of circumstances like 2005, I think you almost have to seed Hampton, especially if the polls have them in the top four.
Now you're adding a caviat. Of course if they are in the top four and are 11-0 they should get a seed. But I don't think there needs to be a rule that an 11-0 team must get a seed. Hampton at least played Grambling, but what if Norfolk ran the table this year with Virginia State, VMI and Winston-Salem as their OOC games. : smh :

First year I pulled up...
2004 seeds: SIU 10-1 with a I-A loss, GSU, W&M and Furman all 9-2 with a I-A loss. Hampton was 10-1 and not a seed. Very similar scenario to what I described where HU was a game better in record than of 3 of the 4 seeds.

OL FU
September 22nd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Now you're adding a caviat. Of course if they are in the top four and are 11-0 they should get a seed. But I don't think there needs to be a rule that an 11-0 team must get a seed. Hampton at least played Grambling, but what if Norfolk ran the table this year with Virginia State, VMI and Winston-Salem as their OOC games. : smh :

First year I pulled up...
2004 seeds: SIU 10-1 with a I-A loss, GSU, W&M and Furman all 9-2 with a I-A loss. Hampton was 10-1 and not a seed. Very similar scenario to what I described where HU was a game better in record than of 3 of the 4 seeds.

Yes I admit I did not fully explain my position which is why I said I agree with you under your scenario

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM

So what did it tell you about the MEAC when A&T came to Boone and beat that ass in the first round in 1999?

flexbone
September 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM
So what did it tell you about the MEAC when A&T came to Boone and beat that ass in the first round in 1999?
Are you referring to when Florida A & M went to App ST in 99. I don't recall A & T ever playing App ST in 1999.

Retro
September 22nd, 2006, 11:32 AM
Actually, "damn things" were asked. Among other things, posters who mentioned Hampton's weak schedule were asked to write to their schools or STFU (a phrase used often by most well educated people) and AppGuy04 was asked to check on who he called a b***c. For people who are challenged with reading comprehension skills, AppGuy04 never said anyone was a b***h.

Another news flash for the illiterate: this is a posting forum. Opinions make up the majority of the posts. And, although this may bother some people, non-Hamptonians will continue to have opinions regarding Hampton. Last time I checked, that was legal. Democrats have opinions about Republicans and Republicans have opinions about Democrats....where will it stop?? Somebody has to end this thing we call "democracy", before it gets out of hand! STFU everyone!

To quote one of my favorite leaders of free thinking and self-confidence: I know you wish we would go away. Good. Keep wishing. It won't come true.

Go DSU!

WELL SAID!:hurray:

89Hen
September 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
It was FAMU, and that told me that FAMU was better than ASU in 1999. One year is not a trend. No wins by the MEAC since 1999 is a trend.

Western Ky. 27 - Florida A&M 0
Ga. Southern 60 - Florida A&M 35
Ga. Southern 34 - Bethune-Cookman 0
Fla. Atlantic 32 - Bethune-Cookman 24
Wofford 31 - N.C. A&T 10
William & Mary 42 - Hampton 35
Richmond 38 - Hampton 10

Same goes for the OVC.

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Are you referring to when Florida A & M went to App ST in 99. I don't recall A & T ever playing App ST in 1999.

You are correct. A mis-type on my part.

AppGuy04
September 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM

As other have said, it was A&M, a team that went to the semis, so they were a very good team.

All the Hampton folks have been saying not to focus on last year's result for seeding this year, so which is it, you want to use past results or not?Cause I'm sure the MEAC's playoff record is nowhere near that of the SoCon

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
I may be wrong, but by your previous post I would take it that you are looking for RESPECT.

You are wrong. Dead wrong. I AM NOT asking ANYONE for ANYTHING, let alone RESPECT. You see, Hampton doesn't need GaSU's respect, the SO-CON's respect, the A-10's respect, or anybody else's. We have EARNED respect- where it counts, and from those who count. I am TELLING all of those individuals (who OBVIOUSLY want to play us, since they keep coming on here asking for us to schedule them) to get on their ADs, Alumni Associations, and Presidents in order to make it happen. However, if we are so weak and you DON'T want to play us, then STFU and keep our name out of your mouths. If we meet in the playoffs we'll settle it on the field. You see NON-HAMPTONIANS, and NON-MEAC fans are the ones who keep bringing this up. Most Hamptonians don't give a damn about GaSU, SIU, Lehigh, or whereever the rest of the "Please schedule us" fools come from.

AppGuy04
September 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
As long as you are a member of I-AA and a top 15 program, don't expect people to stop talking about you just b/c you say so. If anything, nobody is bashing your school, just waiting for you to play better competition as to live up to your potential. Had Hampton played a higher SOS, maybe they could have competed with Richmond last year, thats all.

G.S.Green
September 22nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
After reading the post I am compelled to join the discussion with a few points.

1) I was at the game last year so I saw what transpired. I can tell you for a fact that it was a game of two halves: Hampton dominated the first half with a few mistakes and left two many points on the field (they were tied 10-10) while Richmond made some nice adjustments after the half.

2) Hampton went into a conservative box and ran almost exclusively in the second half. That is why they were dominated. The game was not as bad as the score indicated but is showed how the team was slow to change and how conservative they were.

3) Given the experience of that one home playoff game, everyone is projecting that all future home games will be just as poor.

This is the deal: Hampton’s football growth was retarded by it offensive philosophy and OC, not by the players. The same way each and every other team gets rated at the end of the year should apply TO THE YEA IN WHICH THE RECORD IS EARNED, NOT ON REPUTATION.

Let the kids play it out on the field.:twocents:

Linehawg
September 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
I AM NOT asking ANYONE for ANYTHING, let alone RESPECT.

Yes you are. You beat up on a weak strength of schedule and expect that to actually mean something. Then, typically I might add, you think intimidating foul language ("STFU") will actually impress someone when all it does is show how juvenile and pathetic your argument really is. Respect is earned. You don't "earn" it by beating up on weak sister teams and then pounding your chest. Schedule, then beat, a ranked apponent and then maybe I'll be impressed. If you want to be taken seriously, ask yourself, "Why would any team waste their time loading their schedule with weaker teams like HU?" Until you can prove your a contender, you're a pretender.

G.S.Green
September 22nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
I am a fervent HU supporter and I will be the first to tell you that HIU 93 is no more representative of the multitude of HU grads out there. The simplistic use of “STFU” as a means to quashing dissenting views is a display of his individual arrogance and ignorance. Please do not respond to such immature post when simply ignoring him would be a far better course of action.

Thanks,
G.Green
:nonono2:

AppGuy04
September 22nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
I am a fervent HU supporter and I will be the first to tell you that HIU 93 is no more representative of the multitude of HU grads out there. The simplistic use of “STFU” as a means to quashing dissenting views is a display of his individual arrogance and ignorance. Please do not respond to such immature post when simply ignoring him would be a far better course of action.

Thanks,
G.Green

:hurray: Reputation point for you:hurray:

flexbone
September 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM

Thanks,
G.Green
You are right. I'm glad to see someone from Hampton make the points you just did. We all know he is NOT a good representation of your school.

putter
September 22nd, 2006, 12:59 PM

1) I was at the game last year so I saw what transpired. I can tell you for a fact that it was a game of two halves: Hampton dominated the first half with a few mistakes and left two many points on the field (they were tied 10-10) while Richmond made some nice adjustments after the half.

2) Hampton went into a conservative box and ran almost exclusively in the second half. That is why they were dominated. The game was not as bad as the score indicated but is showed how the team was slow to change and how conservative they were.

3) Given the experience of that one home playoff game, everyone is projecting that all future home games will be just as poor.

This is the deal: Hampton’s football growth was retarded by it offensive philosophy and OC, not by the players. The same way each and every other team gets rated at the end of the year should apply TO THE YEA IN WHICH THE RECORD IS EARNED, NOT ON REPUTATION.

Nice post G.S. Let me ask you, as you seem to be more rational about the posts. Do you think if Hampton had been more "battle tested" that the second half against Richmond would have potentially gone the other way? Playing a higher quality team helps, not only the players, but also the coaches. I think Hampton's program is on the rise and they will be a player for years to come.

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Yes you are. You beat up on a weak strength of schedule and expect that to actually mean something. Then, typically I might add, you think intimidating foul language ("STFU") will actually impress someone when all it does is show how juvenile and pathetic your argument really is. Respect is earned. You don't "earn" it by beating up on weak sister teams and then pounding your chest. Schedule, then beat, a ranked apponent and then maybe I'll be impressed. If you want to be taken seriously, ask yourself, "Why would any team waste their time loading their schedule with weaker teams like HU?" Until you can prove your a contender, you're a pretender.

1. Wow. I'se such a dumb colored child. Thank you, sir, for letting my po' dumbass know exactly what I meant.;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool: xcoffeex ;) xcoffeex ;) (For the record, I say what I mean.)

2. Again, we don't NEED your respect. Maybe football is all you have at your school that earns RESPECT, but we have more, much more. So much more.

3. Ranked opponent, SOS, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah. I thought you sent an e-mail saying the MEAC was terrible and you wanted nothing to do with us? If that is the case, then "Float, Float On!" You don't need to respond anymore.

YoUDeeMan
September 22nd, 2006, 01:47 PM

Thanks,
G.Green

G. S. Green - Well said. The majority of folks from every school have represented themselves well throughout the AGS threads. Each school has a few insecure, ignorant people who post garbage and then liberally use the term "we" as though they represent the masses. As you mention, the discussions will go on with or without those folks.

I am not sure Hampton will go undefeated anyway. Lavan is doing a good job trying to build the DSU program, and if he can continue his agenda, Hampton will have some consistent competition soon. In the future, DSU's upgraded schedule and a few OOC wins may help everyone in the MEAC.

bandl
September 22nd, 2006, 01:51 PM

Thanks,
G.Green
He's alot like Shellshock, isn't he?? :rolleyes: I wonder where Shellshock really is...xcoffeex

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 02:01 PM
G. S. Green - Well said. The majority of folks from every school have represented themselves well throughout the AGS threads. Each school has a few insecure, ignorant people who post garbage and then liberally use the term "we" as though they represent the masses. As you mention, the discussions will go on with or without those folks.

I am not sure Hampton will go undefeated anyway. Lavan is doing a good job trying to build the DSU program, and if he can continue his agenda, Hampton will have some consistent competition soon. In the future, DSU's upgraded schedule and a few OOC wins may help everyone in the MEAC.

1. We will beat DSU by at least 30. We will go undefeated in the MEAC. I don't know where or who we will play in the playoffs, but we will play to win. If y'all bring y'all's behinds to Armstrong, we will pluck and fry y'all and serve you at the homeless outreach dinner.

2. You want to come on here calling names when no one said anything to or about you? Sounds like you are talking about yourself when you call folk ignorant.

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 02:04 PM
He's alot like Shellshock, isn't he?? :rolleyes: I wonder where Shellshock really is...xcoffeex

Sounds like you have a problem with Shellshock. Why don't you take it up with him instead of coming on here trying to start some stuff with me? I don't recall saying anything to you. You should listen to more James Brown- "Static, don't start none, won't be none!"

MiloCat
September 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
2. Again, we don't NEED your respect. Maybe football is all you have at your school that earns RESPECT, but we have more, much more. So much more.

1) This is a football meassage board, so people are talking about the respect for your football program, not the rest of your school.

2) You keep saying you don't need respect. That's fine, but then don't come back here and whine if you don't get seeded.

DTSpider
September 22nd, 2006, 02:29 PM

I've said all along that last year's Hampton squad was very talented. Richmond seemed to really wear down Hampton in the second half which I attribute to a lack of "battle testing". I think that Richmond was just on a roll last year as well. Very tough match-up for any team. Once Richmond figured out that Hampton tried to jump every lane we were able to really move the ball on the ground. Once we got a lead and Hampton had to abandon the run it was over.

Kill'em
September 22nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
I have a problem with the talk of whether Hampton deserves a #1 seed. They come from an AQ conference and if they run the table, why shouldn't they get a #1? I understand the weak schedule issue and I agree with those views. However, this sounds too much like the BCS. They exclude the "weaker" conferences. It's tough enough deciding who gets the at-large bids; every year deserving teams are left out. Why further complicate matters by trying to figure out where to place an undefeated team?

It is just a concern.

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
1) This is a football meassage board, so people are talking about the respect for your football program, not the rest of your school.

2) You keep saying you don't need respect. That's fine, but then don't come back here and whine if you don't get seeded.

I don't hear any whining, except from the people who keep crying "Hampton doesn't have a strong scuedule. Hampton doesn't play anyone. Hampton won't play our SOCON teams, Hampton won't play our A-10 teams, boo-hoo-hoo, Why won't Hampton play us?" That's the only crying I hear. Like I said before, if we have to play on the moon, we are coming to play and playing to win. I don't give a damn who it is against.

Kill'em
September 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
You are wrong. Dead wrong. I AM NOT asking ANYONE for ANYTHING, let alone RESPECT. You see, Hampton doesn't need GaSU's respect, the SO-CON's respect, the A-10's respect, or anybody else's. We have EARNED respect- where it counts, and from those who count. I am TELLING all of those individuals (who OBVIOUSLY want to play us, since they keep coming on here asking for us to schedule them) to get on their ADs, Alumni Associations, and Presidents in order to make it happen. However, if we are so weak and you DON'T want to play us, then STFU and keep our name out of your mouths. If we meet in the playoffs we'll settle it on the field. You see NON-HAMPTONIANS, and NON-MEAC fans are the ones who keep bringing this up. Most Hamptonians don't give a damn about GaSU, SIU, Lehigh, or whereever the rest of the "Please schedule us" fools come from.
The reason for this message board is to discuss I-AA football. Since Hampton and the MEAC are I-AA then we should talk about you. As much as I'd love to talk only Georgia Southern there are over 100 other teams that I'd like to find out more about.

89Hen
September 22nd, 2006, 02:42 PM
1. We will beat DSU by at least 30. We will go undefeated in the MEAC. I don't know where or who we will play in the playoffs, but we will play to win. If y'all bring y'all's behinds to Armstrong, we will pluck and fry y'all and serve you at the homeless outreach dinner.
Let's see, last year you beat DSU by 18 and you did go undefeated in the MEAC and you did get a team to come to Armstrong... oops. xcoffeex

89Hen
September 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
I have a problem with the talk of whether Hampton deserves a #1 seed. They come from an AQ conference and if they run the table, why shouldn't they get a #1? I understand the weak schedule issue and I agree with those views. However, this sounds too much like the BCS. They exclude the "weaker" conferences. It's tough enough deciding who gets the at-large bids; every year deserving teams are left out. Why further complicate matters by trying to figure out where to place an undefeated team?
I'm not saying don't give them a seed, but it also shouldn't be automatic. Last year they got that seed, but this year they may not. They were the only undefeated team to get a seed and they were also the only seed to lose in the first round. That doesn't neccessarily condemn them this year, but it certainly hurts your case for automatically giving them one IMO.

HIU 93
September 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
The reason for this message board is to discuss I-AA football. Since Hampton and the MEAC are I-AA then we should talk about you. As much as I'd love to talk only Georgia Southern there are over 100 other teams that I'd like to find out more about.

I can respect that, but you have to respect that A LOT of folk are coming on here day after day and week after week with the intent of insulting Hampton, the MEAC, and the SWAC. My point is simple- if we want to play ANYONE, we will call. If ANYONE wants to play us so badly, then let THEIR AD make the call. DTSpider (whom I don't think is attempting to insult our school) wrote, and I quote

"Why not schedule an A10 or SoCon team OOC?" My question is simple- if you want to play us why don't YOU schedule US? We are not going to come to you, hat in hand, begging to play you. It just ain't going to happen. If you don't want to play us, then HUSH (or STFU, whichever they choose)! Don't worry about who we play or don't play, whether or not we get a home playoff game, and all the other details surrounding our program or our school. We, the alumni, faculty, admnistration, staff, and students will deal with Hampton. We don't need ANYONE ELSE'S approval or RESPECT (since Linehawg and others think we are begging for that) in order to handle our own business.

89Hen
September 22nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
A LOT of folk are coming on here day after day and week after week with the intent of insulting Hampton, the MEAC, and the SWAC.
:confused: This is a thread about Hampton and the playoffs and seeding. DTSpider's question was asked because he thought Hampton might do better in the playoffs if they played playoff caliber teams during the regular season, hence.. why not play an A10 or SoCon team (who both are geographically close to Hampton). Some people like to hijack threads and start tying to imply things that are not being said. xcoffeex

Cap'n Cat
September 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM

NO, I'M GONNA WRITE A LETTER TO JESSE JACKSON REPORTING THIS OBVIOUSLY RACIST POST. Y'ALL DONE DONED IT NOW!!!!

JohnStOnge
September 22nd, 2006, 06:24 PM
I just looked at Hampton's schedule and the answer is probably no. But, thankfully, that doesn't necessarily matter all that much. Plenty of teams that weren't one of the top 4 seeds have won the championship.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Obviously, last year when App State went 8-3 with two I-A losses and one to eventual semifinalist Furman, the committee though the Mountaineers were more deserving of the No. 2 seed than Hampton, which was seeded No. 3. There were a lot of Pirate fans that complained about that, though the committee seemed pretty smart when ASU won the national championship and Hampton failed to live up to its seed, losing in the first round.

Linehawg
September 23rd, 2006, 09:38 AM
We are not going to come to you, hat in hand, begging to play you. It just ain't going to happen.

If you think it's "begging" then that's part of the problem. Like many have said, this started as a question about playoffs. HU is EQUAL to VMI and others that do not get an automatic bid into an exclusive post-season club reserved only for those that earn the right, through tough competition, to be there. If you go undefeated, then you deserve the respect of consideration but not an automatic bid. If the NCAA has seven teams that finish 8-3, how do think they decide who deserves the bid for two slots? They want the best school who has faced the toughest competition in the playoffs, not some team that danced their way there and will be one-and-done in a blink.

VMI usually has at least three to four nationally ranked teams and one D-1A team on it's schedule every year and no D-II or lower teams. Our "odds" are never good but it's those games we look forward to that actually make us better as players. If we do get an invite to post-season play, I like our chances having been forged in that kind of fire.

Two years ago Coastal went 9-2 (10-1?) and didn't get invited even after winning the Big South. It wasn't the Big South competition that was the problem, it was the rest of their fluffy schedule. They KNEW that and have been building a tougher schedule to help get them in. HU may not have control over much of it's schedule but it does have control over some and the tougher you make those, the better your chances for getting an invite for the big dance. Please don't dilude yourself into thinking winning against soft teams gets you any respect. You might not like it but football is about playing the best and beating the best. Do that, and we'll see you in December. Just the cold, hard facts...

G.S.Green
September 23rd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Nice post G.S. Let me ask you, as you seem to be more rational about the posts. Do you think if Hampton had been more "battle tested" that the second half against Richmond would have potentially gone the other way? Playing a higher quality team helps, not only the players, but also the coaches. I think Hampton's program is on the rise and they will be a player for years to come.

I don’t think being battle tested would have made a difference. The key was play calling and execution. When you play a conservative game, you must have near flawless execution to cover up any mistakes. The first half was full of missed opportunities and I am sure it sapped a lot of the enthusiasm from the kids. The second half was full of more mistakes that led to Richmond points. The OC didn’t give Hampton a chance to stretch its wings and the HC allowed his team to be driven off the field. If you look at the game, you will see that one of the receivers went for more than 150 yards and various aspects of the game were comparable. Too bad the team didn’t make the necessary adjustments to continue to take the fight to the opponent.

eaglesrthe1
September 23rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Does an 11-0 Hampton deserve a top 4 seed? As with any team, it depends. It depends upon the other teams vying for the top 4 seeds, their records, and their SOS's.

I know, I know...I need to STFU.:cool:

Humble Steward
September 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
I don't think Hampton is very concerned about seeding right now. They still have to win in conference play and Bethune Cookman is having a good season and could be a threat. Last season, Hampton was not in very many challenging games and when they met Richmond they were not battle tested. This year, they scheduled Grambling and got a close overtime win and it appears Bethune Cookman, who simply dismantled South Carolina State, is ready to give them another test. Does Hampton need more challenging opponents? Yes. But a lot of teams from different conferences fall into that category.

Wow!!! A rational thought :thumbsup: Who says that Hampton will go undefeated? :eyebrow: No disrespect to Hampton (I have nothing but love for the MEAC). However, my Wildcats are looking for respect and a return to the playoffs.:nod:

OL FU
September 23rd, 2006, 01:19 PM
Obviously, last year when App State went 8-3 with two I-A losses and one to eventual semifinalist Furman, the committee though the Mountaineers were more deserving of the No. 2 seed than Hampton, which was seeded No. 3. There were a lot of Pirate fans that complained about that, though the committee seemed pretty smart when ASU won the national championship and Hampton failed to live up to its seed, losing in the first round.

There were alot of Furman fans that complained about it too:smiley_wi

HIU 93
September 23rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
Wow!!! A rational thought :thumbsup: Who says that Hampton will go undefeated? :eyebrow: No disrespect to Hampton (I have nothing but love for the MEAC). However, my Wildcats are looking for respect and a return to the playoffs.:nod:

Looking forward to the game. The winner will most likely be the MEAC Champs.

Humble Steward
September 23rd, 2006, 02:01 PM
Looking forward to the game. The winner will most likely be the MEAC Champs.

You're right, but neither one of us can look too far ahead. I hope we both have tremendous seasons and have an exciting game Live on ESPNU. :thumbsup:

HIU 93
September 23rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
You're right, but neither one of us can look too far ahead. I hope we both have tremendous seasons and have an exciting game Live on ESPNU. :thumbsup:

I thibk we will both be undefeated by the time we play.

G.S.Green
September 24th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I know that the Del St. game is still going to be a good one. Wish I could be there.

blukeys
September 24th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I know that the Del St. game is still going to be a good one. Wish I could be there.

I wish I could too but it is at night and the same time as Delaware - New Hampshire.

blukeys
September 24th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I've said all along that last year's Hampton squad was very talented. Richmond seemed to really wear down Hampton in the second half which I attribute to a lack of "battle testing". I think that Richmond was just on a roll last year as well. Very tough match-up for any team. Once Richmond figured out that Hampton tried to jump every lane we were able to really move the ball on the ground. Once we got a lead and Hampton had to abandon the run it was over.

I attribute it to better line play in conferences such as the A-10 and Southern. I have usually caught one MEAC game per year since the 80's. Their talent at the skill positions is as good as any conference (There are more quality QB's in the A-10) . There is a big drop off in the line play and has been as long as I can remember.

R.A.
September 24th, 2006, 06:34 PM
If Princeton University, an Ivy League team, a school that usually only has one or two non conference games a season, can find a way to schedule a home and home with Hampton University, then what's really your school's excuse?

What was JMU's excuse? After Hampton played and won at JMU twice, JMU somehow couldn't find two open dates to play a home and home with Hampton... FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS!!

This thread is BS. Your schools claim that you contact every school in 1-AA for games, yet HBCU teams are struggling to find games versus our regional I-AA counterparts.

Most of your schools' athletic departments and administrations are just like U of Delaware, racist!! And it's sad that it took a White Athletic Director at Delaware State to finally see and bring attention to what most of you posters deny.

Hampton's not playing Richmond, William & Mary, and JMU because your athletic departments are full of chit! And our beef isn't with all non HBCU I-AAs, just a few of them, mostly a couple of the small Southern I-AAs that think they're way better than they are... and that's okay.

And it's okay because HBCUs are just going to do what we've been doing, scheduling the Nothern, Mid- Western, and West Coast I-AAs... playing them and getting better right along with them. So when our time comes and we do pass those few Southern I-AAs that are full of it, no questions need to even be asked as to how we did.

And if you haven't been paying attention to the I-AA players in NFL... and this year's I-AAs projected draft picks, guess what... Talent wise, we've already passed most I-AAs. Once we get the coaching part down, good night.

AppGuy04
September 24th, 2006, 06:43 PM
If Princeton University, an Ivy League team, a school that usually only has one or two none conference games a season, can find a way to schedule a home and home with Hampton University, then what's really your school's excuse?

What was JMU's excuse? After Hampton played and won at JMU twice, JMU somehow couldn't find two open dates to play a home and home with Hampton... FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS!!

This thread is BS. Your schools claim that you contact every school in 1-AA for games, yet HBCU teams are struggling to find them still.

Most of your schools' athletic departments and administrations are just like U of Delaware, racist!! And it's sad that it took a White Athletic Director at Delaware State to finally see and bring attention to what most of you posters deny.

Hampton's not playing Richmond, William & Mary, and JMU because your athletic departments are full of chit!

:rolleyes:

G.S.Green
September 25th, 2006, 03:47 AM
If Princeton University, an Ivy League team, a school that usually only has one or two non conference games a season, can find a way to schedule a home and home with Hampton University, then what's really your school's excuse?

This thread is BS. Your schools claim that you contact every school in 1-AA for games, yet HBCU teams are struggling to find games versus our regional I-AA counterparts.

Hampton's not playing Richmond, William & Mary, and JMU because your athletic departments are full of chit! And our beef isn't with all non HBCU I-AAs, just a few of them, mostly a couple of the small Southern I-AAs that think they're way better than they are... and that's okay.

And it's okay because HBCUs are just going to do what we've been doing, scheduling the Nothern, Mid- Western, and West Coast I-AAs... playing them and getting better right along with them. So when our time comes and we do pass those few Southern I-AAs that are full of it, no questions need to even be asked as to how we did.

And if you haven't been paying attention to the I-AA players in NFL... and this year's I-AAs projected draft picks, guess what... Talent wise, we've already passed most I-AAs. Once we get the coaching part down, good night.

There is a whole lot of angst in that statement. Name calling will only reinforce the negative perceptions out there.

The best way to handle this situation is to take those tough road games without the home and home requirement and beat the other team under the toughest of conditions. Once you accumulate the wins, that shames the Richmonds, W&Ms, and JMUs out there by being so good that the question then becomes why are they avoiding a good team like HU that is right in there back yard. Winning a playoff game will generate more regional respect and increase the profile of the school and make it costly for those schools not to engage HU. Remember this, like it or not those schools a ton of prestige to lose with a loss to HU and very little to gain if they win since it is expected. :twocents:

bluehenbillk
September 25th, 2006, 06:54 AM
I learned my lessson with Hampton & the MEAC last year, I had HU #2 going into the playoffs & then they got beat up. The MEAC will have to win a playoff game before I'd even consider one of their teams worthy of my top 10 much less top 4 & a bye.

Mr. C
September 25th, 2006, 07:14 AM
There were alot of Furman fans that complained about it too:smiley_wi
But App State had the auto-bid as the SoCon champs. And the committee just knew how much you folks in Greenville like to travel to Boone.
:D xlolx :nod: :p :cool: :smiley_wi :rotateh: :)

OL FU
September 25th, 2006, 07:29 AM
But App State had the auto-bid as the SoCon champs. And the committee just knew how much you folks in Greenville like to travel to Boone.
:D xlolx :nod: :p :cool: :smiley_wi :rotateh: :)

Thats' for sure.

I thought ASU deserved the seed, But I think it shows how tough and iffy the seeding can be. For example, if Chatt would have beat ASU last year, not only would they not have been seeded they probably would not have received a bid. :nod: They would have went from number 2 to "who cares" on one more loss.

AppGuy04
September 25th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Thats' for sure.

I thought ASU deserved the seed, But I think it shows how tough and iffy the seeding can be. For example, if Chatt would have beat ASU last year, not only would they not have been seeded they probably would not have received a bid. :nod: They would have went from number 2 to "who cares" on one more loss.

And then Furman would have been NC right OL?:smiley_wi

Tribe4SF
September 25th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Don't know why you're taking on W&M here. We've had a home and home with HU, and I hope we'll play them again. Tribe only has one available OOC slot each year (VMI and a I-A always). Liberty this year and next, and then Elon for two years. I understand what you're saying, but be a little more careful who you lump together.

OL FU
September 25th, 2006, 08:43 AM
And then Furman would have been NC right OL?:smiley_wi

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: maybe

Too many if's for me to say that. but we all understand the importance of home field which is why we are having the discussion. There is no doubt the outlook changes of Appalachian makes the trip to Greenville for the semis but who knows if the results change. Paladin stadium is good to Furman but it has not been quite as solid as the Rock.

The point was and is, seeding requires a certain amount of "rules" and ranking and record have to be considered. Under a situation similar to last year where an auto bid conference member is undefeated, you are going to have a very difficult time not seeding them in the top four.

HIU 93
September 25th, 2006, 10:58 AM

LET THE CHURCH SAY AMEN!!!!

HIU 93
September 25th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Don't know why you're taking on W&M here. We've had a home and home with HU, and I hope we'll play them again. Tribe only has one available OOC slot each year (VMI and a I-A always). Liberty this year and next, and then Elon for two years. I understand what you're saying, but be a little more careful who you lump together.

I don't think he meant anything specific about W&M. I think he was using it as an example. We have no beef with W&M. We have played them in a home and home, and if the schedules would allow it, we would probably play every year. The reality is that both us and W&M have pretty ironclad schedules and it is difficult to schedule games within those boundaries. RA's analysis, however, would be correct.

89Hen
September 25th, 2006, 11:17 AM
:confused: It's been that way for as long as I can remember it. The SWAC and MEAC have always had lots of NFL players, this is nothing new.

WMTribe90
September 25th, 2006, 11:46 AM
This is not meant to flame, but just some constructive observations I hope. There is no doubt that teams like Hampton and a few other top HBCUs have more than enough athletic ability to compete and win in the playoffs. A look at any NFL roster will tell you as much. So, the question does arise, what is preventing Hampton and others from taking the next step. Here is my answer based on first hand observations as a former player and fan.

1) Speacial Teams. This was obvious from watching Hampton and GSU this year. Special teams were pretty horrendous for both teams. Missed FGs and XPs, poor coverage, poor blocking, etc. You can't neglect special teams and win in the playoffs.

2) Conditioning. Some of the OLs and DLs are absolutely huge, but many of these guys are carrying way to much weight. Skill players all seemed to be well conditioned but several linemen were carrying 20 to 40 pounds of extra weight.

3) Coaching. Not so much the X's and O's, but the attention to details that win tight games (see special teams above).

4) Competition. Hampton is the closest to breaking through in the playoffs and the above 3 are less a problem at Hampton than some other HBCUs. Coach Taylor has done a grat job with the program. However, I think this one still hurts Hampton. Hampton does not get challenged enough in the regular season. We complain about the A10 schedule, but our playoff teams are used to playing at a consistently high level in order to win. I suspect Hampton can play less than their A game and still win most Saturdays.

PS I'm all for a home and home with Hampton once every six or eight years. I'd like to rotate Hampton, one PL, and one Ivy opponent into the one open schedule spot.

Penn (Home)
Penn (Away)
Lehigh (home)
Lehigh (Away)
Hampton (Home)
Hampton (Away)

YoUDeeMan
September 25th, 2006, 12:30 PM

I have a lot of respect for DSU coach Lavan and I hope he is able to raise DSU to a top level I-AA football program. Lavan took a big chance when he took over a football program that was in shambles. He speaks honestly and eloquently about his past (he grew up during the time of “separate but equal”) and said that, despite the conditions, his father consistently told him not to hate white people. Lavan wanted an opportunity to coach at a HBCU. He comes across as a person with a lot of class and I wish him and DSU much success. A strong DSU football team would help the MEAC.

Personally, I have been hoping for quite some time that DSU and UD would play some close games (I am one of the few that would not like a blowout because I know people who went to both schools). I also hope that Dr. Sessoms is able to continue to raise the standards at DSU and develop a national reputation for the university.

However, good job of hijacking this thread with limited information and your own racist attitude. Calling UD's administration racist is laughable. Ever personally spoken with UD's President or AD? If not, then you are throwing out inflammatory, ignorant, hate infused garbage and nothing more.

Interestingly enough, there are a host of DSU's alumni, board members, faculty, and student population who are all too happy to get their quotes in the News Journal saying that they are upset that DSU hired a white AD. No one seriously questions Bell’s resume – they just openly decry the fact that he is white.

Has anyone in the black community stepped up to condemn those people as racists? Ahhhhhh, the silence...the overwhelming silence. On the other hand, instead of silence, here we have someone who doesn’t know the parties involved but who wants to rant, rave, and throw out “racist!!”.

Take your hate to another thread. Hampton is a decent team. But, if they go undefeated, they no more deserve a seed than if CCSU had gone undefeated.

HIU 93
September 25th, 2006, 12:37 PM
This is not meant to flame, but just some constructive observations I hope. There is no doubt that teams like Hampton and a few other top HBCUs have more than enough athletic ability to compete and win in the playoffs. A look at any NFL roster will tell you as much. So, the question does arise, what is preventing Hampton and others from taking the next step. Here is my answer based on first hand observations as a former player and fan.

1) Speacial Teams. This was obvious from watching Hampton and GSU this year. Special teams were pretty horrendous for both teams. Missed FGs and XPs, poor coverage, poor blocking, etc. You can't neglect special teams and win in the playoffs.

2) Conditioning. Some of the OLs and DLs are absolutely huge, but many of these guys are carrying way to much weight. Skill players all seemed to be well conditioned but several linemen were carrying 20 to 40 pounds of extra weight.

3) Coaching. Not so much the X's and O's, but the attention to details that win tight games (see special teams above).

4) Competition. Hampton is the closest to breaking through in the playoffs and the above 3 are less a problem at Hampton than some other HBCUs. Coach Taylor has done a grat job with the program. However, I think this one still hurts Hampton. Hampton does not get challenged enough in the regular season. We complain about the A10 schedule, but our playoff teams are used to playing at a consistently high level in order to win. I suspect Hampton can play less than their A game and still win most Saturdays.

PS I'm all for a home and home with Hampton once every six or eight years. I'd like to rotate Hampton, one PL, and one Ivy opponent into the one open schedule spot.

Penn (Home)
Penn (Away)
Lehigh (home)
Lehigh (Away)
Hampton (Home)
Hampton (Away)

I have to respectfully disagree with some of your assessments. Andrew Paterini, our kicker, is an All-American. He had a bad day at Grambling. I don't know of any kicker, including Adam Vinateri, who has not had at least one bad day in a career. Our DL is very good, and they are in shape. Our OL is a different story. They are serviceable, but not great. We need to recruit better OLs. If we had a better OL last year (hell, the last three years) the playoffs would have looked a LOT different. The competition argument is tired. As has been stated ad nauseum, Hampton University cannot force anyone to play. Hampton is also not going to take a raw deal just to play a game which may or may not make a difference in seeding and/or ranking.

WMTribe90
September 25th, 2006, 01:14 PM
HIU 93, I know you have a great kicker and Hampton in general has better special teams than most HBCUs, but I still saw breakdowns in blocking and coverage for both teams during the Hampton v Grambling game. I agree Hampton has some great DLs. Like I said, I believe Hampton has less of roblem with most of my points than your conference mates, which is why Hampton is starting to seperate from the pack.

I am curious. Why do you believe Hampton has yet to win a playoff game?

X-Factor
September 25th, 2006, 01:22 PM
You know, this whole situation would be eliminated if the NCAA would take away the MEAC autobid and give it to the more deserving Great West. :smiley_wi

89Hen
September 25th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Why do you believe Hampton has yet to win a playoff game?
RA can tell you...

Most of your schools' athletic departments and administrations are just like U of Delaware, racist!!

Maybe the refs too?

DTSpider
September 25th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Richmond & Hampton have tried to work games out but mutual agreement has been that the dates haven't worked out. We're scheduled basketball home & home and the schools appear to have a good relationship.

Is there a specific instance that you're aware of?

blukeys
September 25th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I have a lot of respect for DSU coach Lavan and I hope he is able to raise DSU to a top level I-AA football program. Lavan took a big chance when he took over a football program that was in shambles. .

I've met Al Lavan and he is a good classy guy but the problem with the DelState program was not the fault of the prior coaches. Lavan is the first coach in years at Del State that is getting the full 63 scollies that are allowed by D I-AA. The prior coaches were getting by on as little as 40 compared to the rest of the MEAC. This initially was the result of the prior administration.

Del State's prior coach Ben Blacknall was also a great guy and came from South Carolina State which is a traditionally strong MEAC program. He was fired for not winning when in fact he was given 60% of the resources that the other MEAC schools were getting.

One can appreciate the job Lavan was doing but the job could have been done as well by the prior staff if they had been given the resources IMHO.

putter
September 25th, 2006, 04:09 PM
There is a whole lot of angst in that statement. Name calling will only reinforce the negative perceptions out there.

The best way to handle this situation is to take those tough road games without the home and home requirement and beat the other team under the toughest of conditions. Once you accumulate the wins, that shames the Richmonds, W&Ms, and JMUs out there by being so good that the question then becomes why are they avoiding a good team like HU that is right in there back yard. Winning a playoff game will generate more regional respect and increase the profile of the school and make it costly for those schools not to engage HU. Remember this, like it or not those schools a ton of prestige to lose with a loss to HU and very little to gain if they win since it is expected. :twocents:
This happens all over. NDSU did it when they were moving up coming to Montana without a home and home. Cal Poly has come to Montana three times now (unfairly) without a return game with Montana in order to build their program! (which they have done). Upgrade the games and the home and homes will come at a later date. Hampton already is recognized as a quality team (still ranked high this year) in a so-so conference. Hampton and other schools will step up because it is in the best interest of all involved to do so.

AggieFinn
September 25th, 2006, 04:37 PM
You know, this whole situation would be eliminated if the NCAA would take away the MEAC autobid and give it to the more deserving Great West. :smiley_wi

I'd have to concur with my man here. GWFC is a ridiculously rapid developing young conference and is laying the licks, win or lose, all over the country. And if Hampton needs an opponent, I'm pretty sure UC Davis would do it, they've just about scheduled everyone else they could to see where they're at. Play for your respect, earn it the right way. :cool:

BigApp
September 25th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Maybe Princeton will play Hampton because they are NOT concerned about the playoffs since they aren't to be participants, even if asked, and thus are not concerned about SOS.

89Hen
September 25th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I'd have to concur with my man here. GWFC is a ridiculously rapid developing young conference
Who are they going to pick up to have enough teams for an auto?

HIU 93
September 25th, 2006, 08:09 PM
HIU 93, I know you have a great kicker and Hampton in general has better special teams than most HBCUs, but I still saw breakdowns in blocking and coverage for both teams during the Hampton v Grambling game. I agree Hampton has some great DLs. Like I said, I believe Hampton has less of roblem with most of my points than your conference mates, which is why Hampton is starting to seperate from the pack.

I am curious. Why do you believe Hampton has yet to win a playoff game?

You have to qualify that statement. We have won playoff games, in Div. II. We have yet to win a Div. I-AA playoff game. We are a new sports power. With the exception of tennis (where we have won TWO National Championships), we have not had consistently strong sports programs. We have had fits and starts, but not consistent success. The reason behind that is simple- Hampton is an academic school where sports have, for most of our history, been secondary to building the school academically and financially. The building of sports programs has only recently (in the last twenty years) been a focus of the school. We had to build to a certain point financially in order to be able to commit the amount of resources necessary to building sports. Also, making statements like "Hampton is better than other HBCUs..." is not an accurate statement. I like to think my Home by the Sea is better than ALL other schools.:D :thumbsup: Seriously, though, making a statement like that can be misread and misunderstood.

mikebigg
September 25th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I wish most of the posters would make up their minds. Last year during the talk about Grambling, we (and the SWAC) was criticized for not participating in the playoffs. At that time, Hampton (and MEAC) was lauded and praised by most of the folks on here for Playoff participation. Now that Grambling is no longer the hot topic, Hampton (and the MEAC) is being questioned in terms of their worthiness to get an autobid. SMH at the attitudes (and hypocrisy) over here with so many of you posters.:nono:

HIU 93
September 26th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I wish most of the posters would make up their minds. Last year during the talk about Grambling, we (and the SWAC) was criticized for not participating in the playoffs. At that time, Hampton (and MEAC) was lauded and praised by most of the folks on here for Playoff participation. Now that Grambling is no longer the hot topic, Hampton (and the MEAC) is being questioned in terms of their worthiness to get an autobid. SMH at the attitudes (and hypocrisy) over here with so many of you posters.:nono:

Bruh you are in my head reading my thoughts.

Ronbo
September 26th, 2006, 06:46 AM
My orginal question didn't question the auto bid. It did however ask if Hampton deserved a top 4 seed if they didn't play anybody of consequence. I think it's legit to question the cupcake scheduling and Hampton not playing a I-A or top 10 I-AA. How did they get a #3 seed in 2005 with ONE WIN against a top 25? Just curious.

Hampton Playoff History

1997 First Round Youngstown State L 13-28

1998 First Round Connecticut L 34-42

2004 First Round William & Mary L 35-42

2005 First Round Richmond L 10-38

PIRATETIZED1
September 26th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Posted by HIU 93
Check who started the post. We don't want/need/desire anything from you. This post was started by another of the "MEAC is no good, Hampton is no good" guys who thinks we don't deserve a home game, playoff game, what the ***** ever. The NCAA can send us to the moon for all I care. We are going to play ball, we are going to play to win. If we win, then we will move on. If we lose, then we will move on to the next season and start again. I know you wish we would go away. Good. Keep wishing. It won't come true.

HIU 93...

You are correct....The "Pirates" are here to stay! My Final Word on this subject is to remind anyone who has stated or felt that Hampton should be in a tougher conference....that Hampton's application to the A-10 was turned down in favor of Towson's acceptance! So it's not like HU was not trying. The desire to move to a tougher conference was the vision of Hampton's President. IMO, the A-10 would've been a "perfect fit" for Hampton! That way with W&M just north of HU on I-64, we would not have to go far to "thump their 'boo-tay' " !! xlolx xlolx Having said all that, IMO, it does not excuse the poor scheduling which has been done lately.

There were successes playing OOC teams in recent past. Just look over the teams, years & results (wins & losses) of what was accomplished since Coach Taylor's tenure while we have been in Div.I-AA. I'm showing non-playoff games(regular season!) and I'm NOT including SWAC schools (no offense to SWAC;just trying to make a point). Look at which teams from the A-10 we've played. Win or lose, at least we did play the game on the field:

1995 Liberty 28 Hampton 14
1996 Liberty 34 Hampton 30
1997 Hampton 33 Liberty 27
W&M 31 Hampton 6
1998 W&M 41 Hampton 34
Hampton 21 Liberty 0
2000 New Hampshire 31 Hampton 17
Hampton 42 Southern Utah 34
2001 New Hampshire 45 Hampton 29
Rhode Island 56 Hampton 7
2002 Hampton 31 James Madison 28
Missouri State 28 Hampton 26
2003 Villanova 41 Hampton 6
2004 Hampton 40 Western Illinois 20
Hampton 48 Gardner-Webb 25

Lastly, Towson between the same years did not play any A-10 teams. Yes, I realize they did some in prior years.

When I saw the Football Schedules for 2005 & 2006, I was :confused: ;and I'm still 'scratching my head' ! xidiotx

PIRATETIZED :cool:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NYSigma
September 26th, 2006, 08:32 AM
HIU 93...

You are correct....The "Pirates" are here to stay! My Final Word on this subject is to remind anyone who has stated or felt that Hampton should be in a tougher conference....that Hampton's application to the A-10 was turned down in favor of Towson's acceptance! So it's not like HU was not trying. The desire to move to a tougher conference was the vision of Hampton's President. IMO, the A-10 would've been a "perfect fit" for Hampton! That way with W&M just north of HU on I-64, we would not have to go far to "thump their 'boo-tay' " !! xlolx xlolx Having said all that, IMO, it does not excuse the poor scheduling which has been done lately.

There were successes playing OOC teams in recent past. Just look over the teams, years & results (wins & losses) of what was accomplished since Coach Taylor's tenure while we have been in Div.I-AA. I'm showing non-playoff games(regular season!) and I'm NOT including SWAC schools (no offense to SWAC;just trying to make a point). Look at which teams from the A-10 we've played. Win or lose, at least we did play the game on the field:

1995 Liberty 28 Hampton 14
1996 Liberty 34 Hampton 30
1997 Hampton 33 Liberty 27
W&M 31 Hampton 6
1998 W&M 41 Hampton 34
Hampton 21 Liberty 0
2000 New Hampshire 31 Hampton 17
Hampton 42 Southern Utah 34
2001 New Hampshire 45 Hampton 29
Rhode Island 56 Hampton 7
2002 Hampton 31 James Madison 28
Missouri State 28 Hampton 26
2003 Villanova 41 Hampton 6
2004 Hampton 40 Western Illinois 20
Hampton 48 Gardner-Webb 25

Lastly, Towson between the same years did not play any A-10 teams. Yes, I realize they did some in prior years.

When I saw the Football Schedules for 2005 & 2006, I was :confused: ;and I'm still 'scratching my head' ! xidiotx

You actually left off Gardner Webb in 2005
Hampton 52 Gardner-Webb 21

jmuroller
September 26th, 2006, 08:51 AM
What happened in 2004 in the playoffs? Didn't you have a home game in the first round? The playoffs are where you earn respect.

Tribe4SF
September 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM
HU's 2004 playoff game was at W&M in the first round. The Jerome Mathis Show was unforgettable!

89Hen
September 26th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Mike, they are completely independent conversations. Hampton and the MEAC can still be lauded for their participation in the playoffs while questioning whether Hampton would get an automatic in 2006. Please forgive us for talking about HBCU's as if they were actually a part of I-AA. :rolleyes:

89Hen
September 26th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Hampton's application to the A-10 was turned down in favor of Towson's acceptance!
Are you talking about for football only? Towson moved to the CAA from America East at the same time Delaware, Hofstra and Drexel did. They delayed their move to A10 football because at the time they were Patriot for football and were spending a lot less then they are now. Just because they were with UD, HU, JMU and W&M in the CAA didn't mean they had to go to the A10 or that the A10 had to take them, but it was a natural fit.

I did hear rumors that Hampton was looking into the CAA, but I don't know if it was any more than rumors. :twocents:

paytonlives
September 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I did not bother to read all 17 pages of this thread, but isnt this the same conversation that could be made for Grambling (I know) and the Ivy schools?

To Play or not to Play that is the question???

To go undefeated or 10-1 in a lesser conference can get you in. Going 9-2and getting blasted by a top level I-AA and beating all the sisters of the blind schools wont get a bid.

And yes history matters, just look at Cal Poly. They should have been in a couple of years ago, instead they got snubbed. Then last year they got in and went to Missoula and beat the Grizzlies. This year it will be ALOT easier for them to get in.

I dont blame any school for playing a weak schedule. For some it is the only chance at the playoffs, and for some its the conference they are in. But once you get to a certain level its time to challenge your team.

For example if I was the Northern Colorado AD I would schedule 3 Non-conference games that I have a GREAT chance of winning. If you are the Montana Grizzlies three easy to win games do not prepare you for the Playoffs.

So I guess what I am saying is to each his own...

Mr. Tiger
September 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM
It is funny that some question the MEAC recent playoff record and Hampton's performance last year when the Ohio Valley Conference has been worse in recent years. Besides one win from Western Kentucky (who isn't in the OVC anymore) in 2000, the OVC has been blown out in most of its recent playoff games.

All first round games<
2005. Eastern Illinois lost 21-6
2004. Jacksonville State lost 49-7 :eek:
2003 Jacksonville State lost 45-7 :eek:
2002 Eastern Illinois lost 48-9 :eek:
Murray State lost 59-20 :eek:
2001 Eastern Illinois lost 49-43
2000 Western Kentucky won 27-0
Eastern Illinois lost 45-13 :eek:
1999 Tenn State lost to MEAC's North Carolina A&T 24-10
1998 Tenn State lost 45-31
1997 Eastern Kentucky lost 42-14 :eek:
1996 Murray State lost 34-6 :eek:

PIRATETIZED1
September 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Posted by Gordon ShumwayI apologize for straying OT a little, but I had to respond to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. C

Mr. C....I assume your comment was relating to the attempt to backfill the late loss of the EKU game. I don't doubt at all what you are saying, but don't you think the wording is just a tad disingenuous. To put it bluntly, if you read between the lines here, you are intimating that ASU had to play Mars Hill because all the 1-AA teams were afraid to come to Boone. Wouldn't it have been a little more fair to state it something like this:

"ASU needed a home game and tried to replace the EKU cancellation with a 1-AA team, but was unsuccessful. This was not a surprise because most all teams had their schedules set, and also would have had to break a contract with another team to accomodate ASU. It is not easy replacing a late cancellation with a quality opponent, so they had no choice but to schedule a respectable DII team."

I have no idea if UNH would want to play ASU or not, but I think we can use their schedule to illustrate what I am saying. They had no off weeks after the first game.

@Northwestern
Stony Brook
@Dartmouth (yearly in-state rivalry)
8 - A10 conference games

Surely ASU didn't expect the UNH AD to say "Wow, what an opportunity. I would love to play Northwestern & ASU back-to-back on the road, and be left with only 4 home games. I'll get right on the phone with Stony Brook."

Once again, I am only using this example to illustrate the point. I would expect that most 1-AA programs would have similar scheduling issues as well.

It has to be very difficult for an AD to backfill a late cancellation. Army backed out late against UNH last year, and they ended up having to travel cross country to play a very good UC Davis (did I get it right ) team as a backfill.

:hurray: Very Nice Post!!! :hurray:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

putter
September 26th, 2006, 04:00 PM
It is funny that some question the MEAC recent playoff record and Hampton's performance last year when the Ohio Valley Conference has been worse in recent years. Besides one win from Western Kentucky (who isn't in the OVC anymore) in 2000, the OVC has been blown out in most of its recent playoff games.

All first round games<

How many of those teams were the #3 seed in the country? After all that was the question. Not if Hampton should get into the playoffs, rather, should they get a seed.

PIRATETIZED1
September 26th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Posted by NYSigma

You are correct!.....:bow: ....My Bad!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PIRATETIZED1
September 26th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Posted by jmuroller
What happened in 2004 in the playoffs? Didn't you have a home game in the first round? The playoffs are where you earn respect.

Good Question....! No, actually the game was played at Williamsburg! I wish it was at Hampton.

You are correct.....The playoffs is where "...the men are separated from de' boys..."!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PIRATETIZED1
September 26th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Posted by 89Hen
Are you talking about for football only? Towson moved to the CAA from America East at the same time Delaware, Hofstra and Drexel did. They delayed their move to A10 football because at the time they were Patriot for football and were spending a lot less then they are now. Just because they were with UD, HU, JMU and W&M in the CAA didn't mean they had to go to the A10 or that the A10 had to take them, but it was a natural fit.

I did hear rumors that Hampton was looking into the CAA, but I don't know if it was any more than rumors.

89Hen...

During the "State of the University Address" in 2003, when Dr. Harvey announced the decision of the A-10 Conference accepting Hampton, Dr. Harvey (at that time;as I best recalled! ) mentioned participation in all sports...not just football. Obviously, football was the main focus. You know how it is, "...it brings in the meat & potatoes!...".
I know he was aware of the CAA, however IMO, HU knew they could compete well in the A-10 in football. If accepted, this thread would not have been here.
For accuracy, I check with our SID & get back with you later.

Thanks for asking!

PIRATETIZED1
September 26th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Posted by Mr. Tiger

All first round games<
2004. Jacksonville State lost 49-7
2003 Jacksonville State lost 45-7
2002 Eastern Illinois lost 48-9
Murray State lost 59-20
Eastern Illinois lost 45-13
1997 Eastern Kentucky lost 42-14
1996 Murray State lost 34-6

Informative Post!...........:thumbsup:

mikebigg
September 26th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Mike, they are completely independent conversations. Hampton and the MEAC can still be lauded for their participation in the playoffs while questioning whether Hampton would get an automatic in 2006. Please forgive us for talking about HBCU's as if they were actually a part of I-AA. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with discussing HBCU's as a part of I-AA...but it comes across as a group attack that borders on a feeding frenzy. I remember other teams being seeded and losing...that's called an upset. I believe last year was the first time Hampton has been a top seed...they lost to a better team on that day.

89Hen
September 26th, 2006, 06:54 PM
It is funny that some question the MEAC recent playoff record and Hampton's performance last year when the Ohio Valley Conference has been worse in recent years.
It's not funny at all. This thread is titled Hampton, not Jacksonville State or Eastern Kentucky. 99% of the people that have made comments about Hampton and the MEAC have made the same comments about the OVC. :nod:

89Hen
September 26th, 2006, 07:26 PM
During the "State of the University Address" in 2003, when Dr. Harvey announced the decision of the A-10 Conference accepting Hampton, Dr. Harvey (at that time;as I best recalled! ) mentioned participation in all sports...not just football. Obviously, football was the main focus. You know how it is, "...it brings in the meat & potatoes!...".
I know he was aware of the CAA, however IMO, HU knew they could compete well in the A-10 in football.
I wonder if he wouldn't have been better off trying to get in the CAA and using the back door for football. The A10 at the time was considered a better conference, but I think the CAA has closed the gap and is pretty much on par with the A10... at least for one year.

89Hen
September 26th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Nothing wrong with discussing HBCU's as a part of I-AA...but it comes across as a group attack that borders on a feeding frenzy.
I see it as the SWAC and MEAC posters grouping up and going on a feeding frenzy and calling people racists for even bringing up this topic. The question of Hampton and the MEAC's seed is a legitimate one. We'd be having the same discussion if Eastern Illinois got a seed last year and was knocked out first round and then was expected to go undefeated again this year. It has nothing to do with the MEAC being an HBCU conference and everything to do with lack of playoffs wins recently by the MEAC. Same applies for the OVC. :nod:

Mr. Tiger
September 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I see it as the SWAC and MEAC posters grouping up and going on a feeding frenzy and calling people racists for even bringing up this topic. The question of Hampton and the MEAC's seed is a legitimate one. We'd be having the same discussion if Eastern Illinois got a seed last year and was knocked out first round and then was expected to go undefeated again this year. It has nothing to do with the MEAC being an HBCU conference and everything to do with lack of playoffs wins recently by the MEAC. Same applies for the OVC. :nod:

:thumbsup: Glad to hear that.

mikebigg
September 26th, 2006, 10:39 PM

I can respect that!:nod:

PIRATETIZED1
September 26th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Posted by 89Hen
I wonder if he wouldn't have been better off trying to get in the CAA and using the back door for football. The A10 at the time was considered a better conference, but I think the CAA has closed the gap and is pretty much on par with the A10... at least for one year.

Interesting question....Not sure if we will get the answer to it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

blur2005
September 27th, 2006, 12:03 AM

All first round games<
I've had my doubts about allowing the OVC to keep its autobid.

I do know that if the Great West can get six teams again, it will one day have an auto.

HIU 93
September 27th, 2006, 07:40 AM
89Hen...

I know he was aware of the CAA, however IMO, HU knew they could compete well in the A-10 in football. If accepted, this thread would not have been here.
For accuracy, I check with our SID & get back with you later.

Thanks for asking!

The attempt to move was for all sports. IMO, I don't like the idea of us moving. I think we should "stay the course" ;) with the MEAC. I think we would lose a lot if we moved into another conference. That being said, this goes back to what I have been saying all along. Hampton University cannot MAKE anyone schedule us or accept us into their conference. If it is so important to OOC teams that they play us, then their fans, alumni, and administration should be doing whatever it takes to accomodate US, not the other way around. If it's not so important, then be quiet about it. Hampton University will be fine, and we will win a National Championship (in football and basketball). It may not be this year, but it WILL happen. This thing is a marathon, not a sprint. So run on, young bulls, take what you can get now. Hampton (the "old bull") will walk, and take it all when the time comes.

Linehawg
September 27th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Well, this was interesting through the first 90 or so posts but now it's a circular yakfest accomplishing almost nothing but stroking petty egos, in other words, this carcass isn't even recognizable as a horse anymore.

89Hen
September 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM
The attempt to move was for all sports. IMO, I don't like the idea of us moving. I think we should "stay the course" ;) with the MEAC. I think we would lose a lot if we moved into another conference.
That's what I was going to ask Piratetized next. As a fan, would I want HU to leave the MEAC? As an outsider looking in, I agree with your assessment.

As for the rest of your post... :boring: Just keep bringing it.

AZGrizFan
September 27th, 2006, 11:36 AM
The attempt to move was for all sports. IMO, I don't like the idea of us moving. I think we should "stay the course" ;) with the MEAC. I think we would lose a lot if we moved into another conference. That being said, this goes back to what I have been saying all along. Hampton University cannot MAKE anyone schedule us or accept us into their conference. If it is so important to OOC teams that they play us, then their fans, alumni, and administration should be doing whatever it takes to accomodate US, not the other way around. If it's not so important, then be quiet about it. Hampton University will be fine, and we will win a National Championship (in football and basketball). It may not be this year, but it WILL happen. This thing is a marathon, not a sprint. So run on, young bulls, take what you can get now. Hampton (the "old bull") will walk, and take it all when the time comes.

Maybe instead of beating on OOC teams to play you, you should beat on other MEAC conference teams to recruit better talent so that when you DO get to the playoffs undefeated year-in and year-out, you've been battle-tested you don't get waxed in the first round and raise all these "troubling" questions.

Edit: Oh, and I won't hold my hand on my ass waiting for Hampton to win a football championship. It would grow there before that happens.

HIU 93
September 27th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Well, this was interesting through the first 90 or so posts but now it's a circular yakfest accomplishing almost nothing but stroking petty egos, in other words, this carcass isn't even recognizable as a horse anymore.

You went to VMI, right?

G.S.Green
September 27th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Good catch. I was going to throw that one in there but you got it first.

YoUDeeMan
October 1st, 2006, 12:34 AM
1. We will beat DSU by at least 30...
If y'all bring y'all's behinds to Armstrong, we will pluck and fry y'all and serve you at the homeless outreach dinner.

Hampton 29, DSU 14. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...216 yards total Hampton offense, 11 first downs. Scoring drives of 37 yards, 43 yards, 92 yard kick return, 14 yards, and 1 (one) yard...seems as though someone is lucky they aren't betting the house on 30 points and Hampton.

Yes, you beat DSU (an improving team that will make waves), but even in your own mind, you aren't as good as you thought you were. And, I hope you realize now that you aren't as good as you thought you were in relation to everone else. Hampton, even undefeated, does not deserve a top seed in the playoffs, as the thread asks.

Other seeds? OVC - not. Southland - not. Patriot - not. Top seeds go to top teams. End of thread.

NYSigma
October 1st, 2006, 10:58 AM
Hampton 29, DSU 14. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...216 yards total Hampton offense, 11 first downs. Scoring drives of 37 yards, 43 yards, 92 yard kick return, 14 yards, and 1 (one) yard...seems as though someone is lucky they aren't betting the house on 30 points and Hampton.

Yes, you beat DSU (an improving team that will make waves), but even in your own mind, you aren't as good as you thought you were. And, I hope you realize now that you aren't as good as you thought you were in relation to everone else. Hampton, even undefeated, does not deserve a top seed in the playoffs, as the thread asks.

Other seeds? OVC - not. Southland - not. Patriot - not. Top seeds go to top teams. End of thread.

I don't get it? Your #1 team wins only by 3 points over UD and Richmond barely wins against the last place team but in our minds we aren't as good as we thought?? See it's statements like that which get us MEAC folk pissed off. Why is it that we are overating ourselves?? Playing your conference foes is very tough and the top teams take everyone's best shot each week....

Menudo
October 1st, 2006, 12:27 PM
Maybe instead of beating on OOC teams to play you, you should beat on other MEAC conference teams to recruit better talent so that when you DO get to the playoffs undefeated year-in and year-out, you've been battle-tested you don't get waxed in the first round and raise all these "troubling" questions.

Edit: Oh, and I won't hold my hand on my ass waiting for Hampton to win a football championship. It would grow there before that happens.

How many players do you know that want to go to a losing school?

Its just natural that the best players usually go to the best schools, where they have a chance of winning. In this area a lot people chose to go to Hampton rather than NSU that has been on the bottom of the MEAC for the last couple of years.

Regardless as long as Hampton continues to win, the talent will continue to come,and eventually we will get over the playoff hump

G.S.Green
October 1st, 2006, 12:31 PM
Good grind-it-out win against Delaware State. Getting down and winnng in the second half will only make the team stronger in the playoffs.

Tribe4SF
October 1st, 2006, 12:37 PM
Looks like Hampton may have clear sailing now. Bethune Cookman got popped by Morgan State yesterday.

YoUDeeMan
October 1st, 2006, 01:28 PM
I don't get it? Your #1 team wins only by 3 points over UD and Richmond barely wins against the last place team but in our minds we aren't as good as we thought?? See it's statements like that which get us MEAC folk pissed off. Why is it that we are overating ourselves?? Playing your conference foes is very tough and the top teams take everyone's best shot each week....

If you read my post, I quoted the person who said Hamton would win by at least 30 points.

Fact: Hampton didn't win by 30.

Hampton wasn't as good as he advertised, so I called him on his trash talk. Strange, when an MEAC person gets called on his own trash talk, you say the MEAC folks get pissed off. xidiotx

HIU 93
October 1st, 2006, 03:26 PM

Reminds of a thing that couldn't be done...

It Couldn’t Be Done
Edgar Guest

Somebody said that it couldn’t be done,
But, he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn’t," but he would be one
Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you’ll never do that;
At least no one has done it";
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle it in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
That "couldn’t be done," and you’ll do it.

I won'y hold my ass, but feel free to hold yours. If you're still around when we win that National Championship, then PM me your address so I can fly to AZ and cook you that crow dinner myself.

HIU 93
October 1st, 2006, 03:38 PM

It's very simple. Quite a few folk on this site are of the mind that HBCUs are not capable of doing anything. Some of the UD fans (since we're talking about one) made statements that a UD/DSU game couldn't be played in Dover because of the "...element..." that would come to the game. Its funny, I was at the game in Dover on Saturday, and not once did I feel threatened by an "...element...". I wonder why?:rolleyes:

AZGrizFan
October 2nd, 2006, 12:28 AM
Reminds of a thing that couldn't be done...

It Couldn’t Be Done
Edgar Guest

Somebody said that it couldn’t be done,
But, he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn’t," but he would be one
Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.

Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you’ll never do that;
At least no one has done it";
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle it in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
That "couldn’t be done," and you’ll do it.

I won'y hold my ass, but feel free to hold yours. If you're still around when we win that National Championship, then PM me your address so I can fly to AZ and cook you that crow dinner myself.

Ah, 93. I didn't say it COULDN'T be done. I just said I didn't want my hand to grow to my ass WAITING for it to be done. Because that's how long it would take. And by the time it happens, you'll be able to teleport here. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

G.S.Green
October 2nd, 2006, 01:57 AM
Ah, 93. I didn't say it COULDN'T be done. I just said I didn't want my hand to grow to my ass WAITING for it to be done. Because that's how long it would take. And by the time it happens, you'll be able to teleport here. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

Teleportation smacks of centuries vice years or decades. I wonder if we could go through the rest of the I-AA ranks and pick out teams from the SOCON or A-10 that have yet to win a championship. Would you add a hand for them on you a#$ for them too?:smiley_wi

Stang Fever
October 2nd, 2006, 02:32 AM

NO