PDA

View Full Version : NEC losing teams

Salty Dog
September 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I hear 2-3 teams are leaving the NEC. Who is offically leaving and who are rumored to be leaving? What teams might join the NEC?
Salty Dog

UNHknowledge
September 19th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Where do these leaving teams think they're going? Better not be the CAA.:nonono2:

aceinthehole
September 19th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Stony Brook is in its last season with the NEC. The Seawolves officially announced their intention to play next year as a I-AA Independent. Their 2007 schedule does include 4 NEC teams (Albany, CCSU, Monmouth, and Wagner).
http://goseawolves.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041006aab.html

-----
Albany and Stony Brook University recently renewed their agreements to remain associate members of the Northeast Conference in the sport of football through 2010, however as indicated above Stony Brook has broken this commitment. It remains to be seen when, not if, UA will announce similar intentions. Like SBU, Albany is part of the SUNY system and a full sports memeber of the America East Conference. They could play Independent, but would likely prefer an AE conference with SBU, Maine, UNH and associate members UMass and URI.

CCSU has a new President that has publicly stated planned improvements for ourtdoor athletic facilities (including a 13,00 seat football stadium). Some news reports indicate CCSU currently is using the maximum 30 schollys allowed by the NEC in the 2006 season. There is strong reason to think that the Blue Devils are looking to upgrade to full scholly I-AA football, but since they are all sports members of the NEC its unlikely they will leave unless they are offered full membership in the AE and a spot in a new FB conference.

Monmouth (also a full member of the NEC) has plans for a new basketball arena in the works and has publicly stated they are looking to play footbal in a conference with an AQ. Many think the Hawks have their eye on the Patriot League, but that is pure speculation and the odds of a conference change are slim at this point in time.

All the other NEC team - Sacred Heart, St. Francis, Robert Morris, and Wagner - are small private schools that likely do not have the resources for anything more than limited scholly football. They would likely seek schools of a similar philosophy (MAAC, new upgrades from DII, etc) to join them if any schools left.

mainejeff
September 20th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Where do these leaving teams think they're going? Better not be the CAA.:nonono2:

Why not the CAA? They fit the academic profile and geographic footprint which stretches up and down most of the East Coast. In addition, the CAA seems very willing to expand to 14 or possibly 16 schools making it the largest conference in the country.

henfan
September 20th, 2006, 07:43 AM
In addition, the CAA seems very willing to expand to 14 or possibly 16 schools making it the largest conference in the country.

Just my opinion here but I'd doubt we'd ever see the day where the CAA is playing with 13 football teams, let alone 14-16. A 14 team Olympic sport league is much different than a 13-16 team football conference.

89Hen
September 20th, 2006, 08:03 AM
In addition, the CAA seems very willing to expand to 14 or possibly 16 schools making it the largest conference in the country.
:confused: Source?

UNHknowledge
September 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM
16 teams just wouldn't work....the A10 is already over crowded at 12. You only play 8-9 conference games a year. What would be the point of having a 16 team conference. You would play some teams in the conference once every 5 years.

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Monmouth to the Patriot League? Um.. don't think that would work too well... it would be like American joining... no true match... remember, philosophies have to be equal...

aceinthehole
September 20th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Monmouth to the Patriot League? Um.. don't think that would work too well... it would be like American joining... no true match... remember, philosophies have to be equal...

Again, I said it is just speculation, although I think there was a mention of interest on the part of Monmouth's FB coach and/or Univ. President in an newpaper article. I think they were trying to gauge inteterst of the PL or just float an idea.

Yes, Monmouth doesn't fit the profile of most of the PL regarding academics, however its entire athletic program could compete very well in the PL right now. As you mentioned, American, does not really fit the profile of the PL at all, yet they were admited.

Monmouth could offer PL football stability if they were to join as a full member. I know PL fans love having Fordham and G-town as affiliates (and rightfully so for academics and name recognition), but they are NEVER joining the PL in all sports and their FB-only realtionship does make a few fans (and maybe admionistrator) concerened.

I know the academics at Monmouth are the biggest hinderance to serious consideration. I wonder what Monmouth fans (any here?) and PL fans think.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 20th, 2006, 09:22 AM
With Old Dominion joining the CAA in 2009 somethings got to give.
What mainejeff says about Albany and Stony Brook makes sence as they
are America East members with many of the A-10 north members now.

IMO we'll be seeing a big shake up in the CAA in the next few years.
America East Football?

Then we can get back into auto bids, and playoff expansion again.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 20th, 2006, 09:35 AM
There are many issues, unfortunately, with Monmouth joining. Academically "Jon Bon Jovi's" school isn't in the same level as the PL, for starters. Second, is Monmouth willing to go back to the grant-in-aid model? For sure they worked well with that prior to this year (and as a result have an excellent team this year), but they may not want to return to that model. (Any link to that article ace?)

Having said that, the PL may have to decide something. What's more important? The grant-in-aid model? Getting a new all-sport participant? Or Ivy League-level academics? It's extremely likely that the next team to join the PL will not be able to satisfy all three criteria: keeping grant-in-aid's, moving in all sports, or Ivy-level academics. IMO it's very likely that a compromise will have to be reached.

If Monmouth gets an invite from the PL, it means that the grant-in-aid model is still alive and well, and we're willing to try to let Monmouth catch up in academics (which they seem to be very active in doing at the moment). In effect, though, that's what we did with Towson, who never really did fit academically and eventually bolted for the CAA - so, the track record has not been good.

Competitively, I think Monmouth could come right in and compete for championships. This year, they have a great team that could absolutely give Albany and CCSU a run for their money in the NEC.

Bottom line: I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, especially if it means they become an all-sports member.

Ironically, the NEC's success appears to be tearing it apart right now. Stony Brook has decided that they want to be like Delaware and go full scholly. Albany, CCSU and Monmouth are wondering if they should stick around. And Wagner, St. Francis, Robert Morris and Sacred Heart have to wonder if they want to stay in this "arms race".

Think some sort of alliance could happen with the NEC and MAAC in the not-so-far-away future, making a Pioneer-style non-scholly conference with: Duquesne, RMU, St. Francis, St. Peters, LaSalle, Marist, Wagner, SHU, Iona? Looking over this list, these all look like D-I institutions with similar goals, even if they would be brough together in this sort-of "shotgun wedding". It's clear that Albany, CCSU and Monmouth have different goals than these teams, and Stony Brook has already showed their hand.

This "Founders Football Conference" could keep football for these guys.

danefan
September 20th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Think some sort of alliance could happen with the NEC and MAAC in the not-so-far-away future, making a Pioneer-style non-scholly conference with: Duquesne, RMU, St. Francis, St. Peters, LaSalle, Marist, Wagner, SHU, Iona? Looking over this list, these all look like D-I institutions with similar goals, even if they would be brough together in this sort-of "shotgun wedding". It's clear that Albany, CCSU and Monmouth have different goals than these teams, and Stony Brook has already showed their hand.

I think something like this has to happen. These smaller private schools won't be able to afford to, nor do they want to, fund 63 schollys. But on the other hand they also don't want to drop football. Most of those schools would have been very happy staying DIII had the Dayton rule not been passed.

aceinthehole
September 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM
There are many issues, unfortunately, with Monmouth joining. Academically "Jon Bon Jovi's" school isn't in the same level as the PL, for starters. Second, is Monmouth willing to go back to the grant-in-aid model? For sure they worked well with that prior to this year (and as a result have an excellent team this year), but they may not want to return to that model. (Any link to that article ace?)

Having said that, the PL may have to decide something. What's more important? The grant-in-aid model? Getting a new all-sport participant? Or Ivy League-level academics? It's extremely likely that the next team to join the PL will not be able to satisfy all three criteria: keeping grant-in-aid's, moving in all sports, or Ivy-level academics. IMO it's very likely that a compromise will have to be reached.

If Monmouth gets an invite from the PL, it means that the grant-in-aid model is still alive and well, and we're willing to try to let Monmouth catch up in academics (which they seem to be very active in doing at the moment). In effect, though, that's what we did with Towson, who never really did fit academically and eventually bolted for the CAA - so, the track record has not been good.

Competitively, I think Monmouth could come right in and compete for championships. This year, they have a great team that could absolutely give Albany and CCSU a run for their money in the NEC.

Bottom line: I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, especially if it means they become an all-sports member.

Ironically, the NEC's success appears to be tearing it apart right now. Stony Brook has decided that they want to be like Delaware and go full scholly. Albany, CCSU and Monmouth are wondering if they should stick around. And Wagner, St. Francis, Robert Morris and Sacred Heart have to wonder if they want to stay in this "arms race".

Excellent post and that was my impression of the situation. Monmouth is private and smaller, whereas Towson was much larger than most in the PL and they are public. To me that's a big difference.

The "Bon Jovis" (I think that's funny - although the "Springsteens" may be more appropriate) are also located in talent rich Northern New Jersey. This could also help the PL in recruiting (not that they need much help) and exposure in the NY/NJ market.

Monmouth is follwed very closely by their local paper the Asbury Park Press - http://www.injersey.com/app/sports/ - and a little from the Newark Star Ledger - http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/

The Hawks also get decent covereage in the NYC metro market - especially when they are competing for basketball titles, etc.

ccd494
September 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM
No one really knows what will happen when ODU joins the CAA.

There is the possibility that Maine, UNH, Stony Brook, Albany become the all sports "anchors" of an America East football conference, with URI and UMass (and maybe CCSU?) as affiliates. But, there would have to be an autobid attached. If the I-AA playoffs were to ever expand, this would become more likely. Yes, the level of competition is lower. But you would have a 1/7 chance of winning the league, as opposed to the CAA's 1/12. Additionally, it would allow more OOC scheduling against I-AAs.

13 is a lot for a football conference, even with the north/south split. I think there was more of a chance of AE football earlier this year when AE hockey was being bandied about. But that apparently died, so its back to the status quo. It's just as likely that one team would leave the conference to either go I-A (JMU? ZooMass?) or to a cost-containment type league (URI/Nova to Patriot as affiliates?) and ODU will be able to slide right in.

mainejeff
September 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM
:confused: Source?

Wouldn't Yeager do anything to keep his flock together? ;)

henfan
September 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM
With Old Dominion joining the CAA in 2009 somethings got to give...IMO we'll be seeing a big shake up in the CAA in the next few years. America East Football?

The CAA isn't scheduled to have 13 teams until 2011. While ODU FB begins in 2009, the Monarchs first year in the CAA won't be until 2011. They'll be a I-AA independent for two years.

89Hen
September 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Wouldn't Yeager do anything to keep his flock together? ;)
Nah. He's more focused on major markets and exposure for the CAA. With full members now in Boston (NU), NY (HU), Philly (DU and UD), Baltimore (TU), Washington (GMU), Richmond (VCU), Atlanta (GSU)... I'm not sure he really cares about UNH, Maine, UMass....

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Excellent post and that was my impression of the situation. Monmouth is private and smaller, whereas Towson was much larger than most in the PL and they are public. To me that's a big difference.

The "Bon Jovis" (I think that's funny - although the "Springsteens" may be more appropriate) are also located in talent rich Northern New Jersey. This could also help the PL in recruiting (not that they need much help) and exposure in the NY/NJ market.

Monmouth is follwed very closely by their local paper the Asbury Park Press - http://www.injersey.com/app/sports/ - and a little from the Newark Star Ledger - http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/

The Hawks also get decent covereage in the NYC metro market - especially when they are competing for basketball titles, etc.

Completely forgot about Towson... that is an interesting exception to the PL model.. good job.. but in terms of American they were only invited since we were gasping for survival. Holy Cross was thinking of leaving around that time and plus, we needed another school in order to secure our auto-bid status in the NCAA bball tournament. So, American was allowed to join in all-sports and were allowed to keep their scholarships.

Yes the grant-in aid issue is a compatability problem. If Monmouth is allowed to join the PL and is allowed to keep their scholarships in football, there would likely be a revolt across the board. Again.. it comes down to a) how despearte is the PL for survival b) are we going to give schollies in fball c) will giving fball schollies attract compatable schools.

TigerFan17
September 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
AE football starting to come together?!

:read:

Go...gate
September 20th, 2006, 01:30 PM
No disrespect to Monmouth, which is a true sleeper in the northeast, but American had a very good academic reputation before they joined the Patriot League - maybe not quite as good as the charter member schools, but not terribly far below them, either. I think the "gasping for survival" quote overstates things a bit. In the late 1990's, American assured the PL membership ("Bro" Adams of Bucknell headed the PL leadership group at that time) that they were seeking to become a much more selective school academically, which they are certainly doing - they are pouring millions into a strategic plan and capital campaign to raise the school's academic profile. In addition, American intends to become a bit smaller of an institution due to this selectivity. Monmouth would have to do the same thing and I don't believe they have the name recognition, facilities or funds right now.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2006, 01:37 PM
How about this for American East football:

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
UMass
URI
Albany
Stony Brook
Binghamton

89Hen
September 20th, 2006, 01:40 PM
How about this for American East football:
Binghamton
Who? :confused:

MplsBison
September 20th, 2006, 01:44 PM
http://www.binghamton.edu/

A SUNY school the same as Stony Brook, Albany, and Buffalo.

The only one without football at the moment.

Dane96
September 20th, 2006, 01:47 PM
First, it is the AMERICA EAST.

Second, Binghamton will not support football.

Third, VERMONT WILL NEVER SUPPORT FOOTBALL.

Right now, the last documents I saw, had UMASS, URI, ALBANY, SBU, MAINE, UNH, and Hofstra...with spots for two more.

We shall see.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Hofstra would be good but I doubt they'd leave the CAA for a bunch of NE public schools.

As far as Binghamton and Vermont not supporting football, why? If Albany can do it...

aceinthehole
September 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM
No disrespect to Monmouth, which is a true sleeper in the northeast, but American had a very good academic reputation before they joined the Patriot League - maybe not quite as good as the charter member schools, but not terribly far below them, either. I think the "gasping for survival" quote overstates things a bit. In the late 1990's, American assured the PL membership ("Bro" Adams of Bucknell headed the PL leadership group at that time) that they were seeking to become a much more selective school academically, which they are certainly doing - they are pouring millions into a strategic plan and capital campaign to raise the school's academic profile. In addition, American intends to become a bit smaller of an institution due to this selectivity. Monmouth would have to do the same thing and I don't believe they have the name recognition, facilities or funds right now.

I hear you. Monmouth has nowhere near the same academic credentials as AU, or any of the PL. If this is the singlular criteria, its a no go for the Hawks.

However, I would say ATHLETICALY, Monmouth is a much better fit for the PL than AU in many respects. MU has a growing and loyal fan base on the Northern Jersey Shore. Their teams are tops in the NEC and have gone to NCAA tourneys in many sports. Most recently the men's basketball stomped Hampton in the PIG and played stall ball and had a nice showing vs. #1 Villanova in Philly. The campus at MU is much nicer, as are the facilities.

AU is a strong academic school in DC, with many off-campus, part-time, graduate, and international students. There is not a strong following of sports at AU and almost no exposure in the region (with G-town, GW, UMD, Navy, GMU, etc). I'm not nocking on AU (I live down the street from their campus), but it did not bring much to the PL in terms of athletics.

89Hen
September 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Hofstra would be good but I doubt they'd leave the CAA for a bunch of NE public schools.
I don't think they'd leave either, but the CAA is full of SE public schools (UD, Towson, JMU, GMU, W&M, GSU, VCU, UNC-W)

89Hen
September 20th, 2006, 02:07 PM
AU is a strong academic school in DC, with many off-campus, part-time, graduate, and international students. There is not a strong following of sports at AU and almost no exposure in the region (with G-town, GW, UMD, Navy, GMU, etc). I'm not nocking on AU (I live down the street from their campus), but it did not bring much to the PL in terms of athletics.
Agreed 100%. Last year I compared AU to Mount St. Mary's and made a case that the Mount actually offered more athletically and fan-wise. BTW, didn't know you were a neighbor.

Go...gate
September 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I hear you. Monmouth has nowhere near the same academic credentials as AU, or any of the PL. If this is the singlular criteria, its a no go for the Hawks.

However, I would say ATHLETICALY, Monmouth is a much better fit for the PL than AU in many respects. MU has a growing and loyal fan base on the Northern Jersey Shore. Their teams are tops in the NEC and have gone to NCAA tourneys in many sports. Most recently the men's basketball stomped Hampton in the PIG and played stall ball and had a nice showing vs. #1 Villanova in Philly. The campus at MU is much nicer, as are the facilities.

I think that was part of the idea with American, too. The PL was really concerned that AU would come in and dominate the league in several sports, but that has not been the case - in part because I think AU de-empahsized athletics a bit (except for Soccer, in which they are a true national power) in favor of spending resources elsewhere.

Actually, as a proud Jersey Guy, I would really like Monmouth in the league - they are a GREAT geographic fit, smack in the middle of the conference footprint. I would actually prefer them to Duquesne or Marist.

aceinthehole
September 20th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I think that was part of the idea with American, too. The PL was really concerned that AU would come in and dominate the league in several sports, but that has not been the case - in part because I think AU de-empahsized athletics a bit (except for Soccer, in which they are a true national power) in favor of spending resources elsewhere.

Actually, as a proud Jersey Guy, I would really like Monmouth in the league - they are a GREAT geographic fit, smack in the middle of the conference footprint.

Check out a posting from a Monmouth blog by a local NJ sportswriter:

"Friday, September 15, 2006
Catching up
A few things...

After double checking, my explanation of the MU scholarship football situation is correct..MU and all NEC schools can have the equivalent of a maximum of 30 scholarship players on the team at one time. That means if they are divided in half they could have 60 players on half scholarships, etc.

As for football recruiting...MU can evaluate players live right on through the end of the high school season. In past years there were some NCAA restrictions during the season but no more.

I have no specifics but I believe I am safe in saying MU, now armed with scholarships, will be going after the best players in the Shore and NJ.and some from out of state they can track. MU may now more seriously compete with the likes of Delaware, Hofstra, etc. for players .

Like in basketball there are some kids (ie Knowshon Moreno) who are big time D1 and out of reach but the scholarships places MU within reach of a caliber of athlete they had no shot at before..but this holds true for all NEC schools.

As for playing Rutgers as someone mentioned..I think that's a waaaays down the road. MU would like to play Princeton in football but that hasn't come about..

The whole key to further upgrading MU athletes is the proposed new basketball arena. Once that's up and running MU could think about a higher level conference, about maybe doing some things with Kessler Field. There are thought of at least expanding the football press box (hooray!!) and a baseball pressbox is in the works.

But consider this. When Rider and Marist left the NEC in the late '90's they trumpeted loudly their joining the MAAC. Well since then..how many times has their men's basketball teams been to the NCAAs? The answer is none. MU has gone three times since and MU fans have enjoyed new heights of excitement. So you always have to look before you leap (very original phrase.. right?) but it makes sense."

http://grahamman.blogspot.com/

Go...gate
September 20th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Check out a posting from a Monmouth blog by a local NJ sportswriter:

"Friday, September 15, 2006
Catching up
A few things...

After double checking, my explanation of the MU scholarship football situation is correct..MU and all NEC schools can have the equivalent of a maximum of 30 scholarship players on the team at one time. That means if they are divided in half they could have 60 players on half scholarships, etc.

As for football recruiting...MU can evaluate players live right on through the end of the high school season. In past years there were some NCAA restrictions during the season but no more.

I have no specifics but I believe I am safe in saying MU, now armed with scholarships, will be going after the best players in the Shore and NJ.and some from out of state they can track. MU may now more seriously compete with the likes of Delaware, Hofstra, etc. for players .

Like in basketball there are some kids (ie Knowshon Moreno) who are big time D1 and out of reach but the scholarships places MU within reach of a caliber of athlete they had no shot at before..but this holds true for all NEC schools.

As for playing Rutgers as someone mentioned..I think that's a waaaays down the road. MU would like to play Princeton in football but that hasn't come about..

The whole key to further upgrading MU athletes is the proposed new basketball arena. Once that's up and running MU could think about a higher level conference, about maybe doing some things with Kessler Field. There are thought of at least expanding the football press box (hooray!!) and a baseball pressbox is in the works.

But consider this. When Rider and Marist left the NEC in the late '90's they trumpeted loudly their joining the MAAC. Well since then..how many times has their men's basketball teams been to the NCAAs? The answer is none. MU has gone three times since and MU fans have enjoyed new heights of excitement. So you always have to look before you leap (very original phrase.. right?) but it makes sense."

http://grahamman.blogspot.com/

Look for a Monmouth-Princeton game later in the decade. Princeton is building in some heavy road trips and they would welcome playing another NJ school.

Agree that Rider and Marist never should have left the NEC. Rider, right down the street from the Lawrenceville School and four miles down Route 206 from Princeton University, is not a fit academically or athletically with that conference, which pretty much cares only about basketball. Rider is competitive in basketball, baseball, wrestling and selected women's sports. Marist, in the same neighborhood as Vassar, USMA and Marymount, is in much the same predicament.

mainejeff
September 20th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Nah. He's more focused on major markets and exposure for the CAA. With full members now in Boston (NU), NY (HU), Philly (DU and UD), Baltimore (TU), Washington (GMU), Richmond (VCU), Atlanta (GSU)... I'm not sure he really cares about UNH, Maine, UMass....

But do some of those schools actually have the captive audience/fan base of an entire state?

mainejeff
September 20th, 2006, 04:29 PM

As far as Binghamton and Vermont not supporting football, why? If Albany can do it...

Yeah, why would Hofstra want to be associated with any public schools?......wait, aren't there some of those in the CAA :confused:

ccd494
September 20th, 2006, 06:14 PM
But do some of those schools actually have the captive audience/fan base of an entire state?

Northeastern's media attention is greater than BU's, BC's, Harvard's, UMass's, plus all the pro teams in Boston combined.

You should take a ride on the T some time, the ONLY topic of conversation is Husky athletics. And it's never Husky hockey either. JUST Husky hoops, a CAA sport.

So, I think the next logical step is for Yeager to become governor of Massachusetts.

89Hen
September 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM
No, but neither does Maine, New Hampshire or Rhode Island.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 20th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I don't think they'd leave either, but the CAA is full of SE public schools (UD, Towson, JMU, GMU, W&M, GSU, VCU, UNC-W)

Do you really view UD as a SE Public? I know I don't, primarily because I view New Castle County DE as an extension of Greater Philly and because my understanding of the demographics of UD enrollment is significantly from northeastern states.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 20th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Agreed. Especially since both would be startup programs rather than upgrades like Albany and Stony Brook.

Right now, the last documents I saw, had UMASS, URI, ALBANY, SBU, MAINE, UNH, and Hofstra...with spots for two more.

We shall see.

Hofstra keeps getting included by people in AE Football scenarios but nobody ever provides solid reasons why they would come back to AE. Personally, I don't think there's any chance unless someone else comes along with them -- Northeastern at a minimum. Delaware would probably give them reason enough to make the move. :p Without a complete implosion of the CAA, I just don't see how ANYBODY leaves and returns to AE. JMHO.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Agreed. Especially since both would be startup programs rather than upgrades like Albany and Stony Brook.

What you mean is that you hope they don't start or bring football back because they would steal away recruits from you (Ball from Vermont, for example).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 20th, 2006, 08:06 PM
What you mean is that you hope they don't start or bring football back because they would steal away recruits from you (Ball from Vermont, for example).

No, I most certainly didn't mean that because if both schools played football then AE Football would be much more of a reality and the conference would be significantly stabilized. And I was quite sincere about my opinion that neither BingU or UVM have the institutional fortitude to support football nor could afford the startup costs.

FWIW, don't forget that David Ball wasn't recruited by UNH to play football. He was recruited to be a high jumper on the track team with an opportunity to try out for the football team. Nobody offered him a football scholarship. There's no guarantee that UVM would have either.

UNHknowledge
September 20th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Northeastern's media attention is greater than BU's, BC's, Harvard's, UMass's, plus all the pro teams in Boston combined.

You should take a ride on the T some time, the ONLY topic of conversation is Husky athletics. And it's never Husky hockey either. JUST Husky hoops, a CAA sport.

So, I think the next logical step is for Yeager to become governor of Massachusetts.

WHAT? I live in Boston now and I don't mean to be harsh but you are out of your mind. For one, people talk about UNH more in Boston than they do NU. I was watching NESN the other day and during the football part of the show they showed the Pats followed by UNH (Ball chasing history), then they showed a blurb on B.C. You must've been on the T with the NU athletic director and he was probalby talking about his teams next big hoops game vs. Vermont. Otherwise...I am SURE NU athletics (especially football) is not a big deal in the Bean.

ccd494
September 20th, 2006, 08:35 PM
WHAT? I live in Boston now and I don't mean to be harsh but you are out of your mind. For one, people talk about UNH more in Boston than they do NU. I was watching NESN the other day and during the football part of the show they showed the Pats followed by UNH (Ball chasing history), then they showed a blurb on B.C. You must've been on the T with the NU athletic director and he was probalby talking about his teams next big hoops game vs. Vermont. Otherwise...I am SURE NU athletics (especially football) is not a big deal in the Bean.

Seriously?

Wow. Next thing you will tell me that Manhattanites and the New York Times don't cover Hofstra. :confused:

89Hen
September 20th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Do you really view UD as a SE Public?
No, but this was for arguements sake. DE is firmly Mid-Atlantic (as is Towson) with lots of students from PA, NY, NJ and MD. The VA schools however are SE.

star2city
September 20th, 2006, 09:05 PM

We shall see.
This may be way out in left field (or western Pennsylvania), but how about Indiana U of Pennsylvania (IUP)? They are serious about moving up to DI and are shopping for a conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I've always felt this is a possibility. Having said that, I don't have any proof that they are in the mix.

Dane96
September 20th, 2006, 11:33 PM
This may be way out in left field (or western Pennsylvania), but how about Indiana U of Pennsylvania (IUP)? They are serious about moving up to DI and are shopping for a conference.

Not the same mission of the large state schools in the AE...plus...it is in a crappy media market and WAY TOO FAR AWAY.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2006, 08:34 AM

Actually, as a proud Jersey Guy, I would really like Monmouth in the league - they are a GREAT geographic fit, smack in the middle of the conference footprint. I would actually prefer them to Duquesne or Marist.

AU did come in and dominate the conference athletically... initially. their bball team made it to the finals every year for three frickin' years.. their volleyball team did not lose a set to a PL team for three years.. their field hockey team dominated once Lafayette lost their way.. tennis and cross country have been extremely strong..

True, I do agree Monmouth is a better fit in terms of fan base and support... I have no love at all for American... but I think the academic profile really hurts. Many people think of Monmouth as a drunkard school where commuters went to avoid the Vietnam War.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2006, 08:39 AM
It would be cool if Vermont reinstituted football but if they started talking today it would take 10-15 years probably. There would already be an established America East by then likely..

Go...gate
September 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM
AU did come in and dominate the conference athletically... initially. their bball team made it to the finals every year for three frickin' years.. their volleyball team did not lose a set to a PL team for three years.. their field hockey team dominated once Lafayette lost their way.. tennis and cross country have been extremely strong..

True, I do agree Monmouth is a better fit in terms of fan base and support... I have no love at all for American... but I think the academic profile really hurts. Many people think of Monmouth as a drunkard school where commuters went to avoid the Vietnam War.

I think we are both saying the same thing. The classes of student-athletes recriuited their last three years in the CAA WERE dominant, but they have neither sought nor been able to recruit the same kind of student-athletes since becoming a full PL member, which is consistent with their overall institutional plans. They also dropped at least one sport (Golf).

IMO, no way do I want IUP in the PL.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2006, 09:17 AM
I think we are both saying the same thing. The classes of student-athletes recriuited their last three years in the CAA WERE dominant, but they have neither sought nor been able to recruit the same kind of student-athletes since becoming a full PL member, which is consistent with their overall institutional plans. They also dropped at least one sport (Golf).

IMO, no way do I want IUP in the PL.

Well, you can thank Lafayette for that... we gave AU Arthur Rothkopf.. :D I expect to see them eliminate all running sports, volleyball, field hockey... and move basketball and soccer to D3 by 2011.

mainejeff
September 21st, 2006, 11:34 AM
No, but neither does Maine, New Hampshire or Rhode Island.

Yeah, they pretty much do.

mainejeff
September 21st, 2006, 11:37 AM
Enough with the Vermont football thing. They are not going to bring back football.......it just ain't happening.

Go...gate
September 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM
Well, you can thank Lafayette for that... we gave AU Arthur Rothkopf.. :D I expect to see them eliminate all running sports, volleyball, field hockey... and move basketball and soccer to D3 by 2011.

You are more correct than you realize. AU is really serious about upgrading their academic profile and de-emphasizing athletics. It is not a coincidence that Rothkopf was asked to be on their board. I just hope they don't add Charles "Buddy" Karelis (CU former Prexy, and an Arthur Rothkopf clone) to their board.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2006, 12:12 PM
You are more correct than you realize. AU is really serious about upgrading their academic profile and de-emphasizing athletics. It is not a coincidence that Rothkopf was asked to be on their board. I just hope they don't add Charles "Buddy" Karelis (CU Former Prexy, and an Arthur Rothkopf clone) to their board.

:eyebrow: xlolx Wow, this is an eye-opener... I was just speculating based upon the evidence you presented... but jeez... Well, at least he does not have to fight alumni on athletics.. doubt anyone really cares beyond basketball...

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2006, 12:13 PM
Enough with the Vermont football thing. They are not going to bring back football.......it just ain't happening.

Sigh, yeah that is the obvious truth... they would rather most definetely spend the money on maintaining hockey.. and rightly so..

Granite
September 21st, 2006, 12:19 PM
Seriously?

Wow. Next thing you will tell me that Manhattanites and the New York Times don't cover Hofstra. :confused:

;)

I think maybe Knowledge's snark-meter needs calibrating. I've made the same mistake myself at times....

Go...gate
September 21st, 2006, 02:55 PM
:eyebrow: xlolx Wow, this is an eye-opener... I was just speculating based upon the evidence you presented... but jeez... Well, at least he does not have to fight alumni on athletics.. doubt anyone really cares beyond basketball...

Best thing that EVER happened to Leopard athletics was Rothkopf's departure, and I see LC having a really good academic - athletic balance in years to come.

dbackjon
September 21st, 2006, 03:05 PM

I think he meant to include this :sarcasm:

UNHknowledge
September 21st, 2006, 08:54 PM
;)

I think maybe Knowledge's snark-meter needs calibrating. I've made the same mistake myself at times....

yea....after re-reading the whole thread, i totally missed his sarcasim the first time:nod: I often just skim through threads and that time I was like "what is this guy talkin about". My mistake.