PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of toughness...

FormerPokeCenter
September 6th, 2013, 07:29 PM
As a former college football player...I'd like to think I've got a certain amount of toughness...males are like that.

After having a couple of procedures on my knee, including a complete reconstruction, I used to think that I had mental toughness nailed, but that was a delusion.

Even though I had complete tears of the medial collateral and the posterior cruciate ligaments, as well as the capsule around the knee, and even though I tore the medial head of the quadriceps and the medial head of the gastrocnemius off their insertions, I refused pain meds right after I woke up from the surgery. I used to think that was the definition of being tough. I was wrong. It was simply equal parts fear of addiction and the self-delusion that a high pain tolerance equates to being tough

True toughness is about something else. It's what my friends Nadine Lewin Wall has, in spades. She and my friend Ann Hartline are the truly toughest people I know.

Ann's beaten breast cancer, but was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor...she's fought that valiantly and now has the tumor sizes down to almost being undetectable. Unfortunately, she's now battling tumors in her lungs and liver.

But she continues to fight diligently and is living her life to the fullest, with a verve I can only dream about having...Trips to Europe and Kayaking in the Hood River gorge are her most recent "grab life by the horns" accomplishments.

That's mental toughness in a game far more serious than Football...

Ann Hartline

Below is a link to a cool video of my friend Nadine Wall. Nadine beat thyroid cancer and a few months ago was diagnosed with breast cancer.

In late June, she underwent a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery, then in July, she traveled to Charlotte for the 24HOB ride that's held there and worked as a volunteer, doing things for other people and for the other riders...

I think that despite my view of myself as being mentally tough, I'd probably curl up in the fetal position if I was diagnosed with just one form of cancer, but to fight it vigorously, twice, and then still have the wherewithall to donate her time to support other riders, WHILE she's going through Chemo?

Who does that?

From where I sit, that's the true definition of toughness. Lining up across from somebody and trying to whip his ass is one thing, but facing your own mortality EACH and every single day, worrying about what your cells are doing to each other every second of every day, but still having the incredible life force necessary to get up and go find a way to serve others? That's just toughness on a whole different level!

Lots of you have supported my efforts in the 24 Hours of Booty and I'm truly thankful for the incredible support. It's you guys, the DONORS, who make things happen. The money you donate funds a wide variety of cancer-fighting initiatives...

If you want to see a little bit of what the 24 HOB is about, check out the video. Nadine is featured prominently, as is the guy in the beard, Basil Lyberg, the executive director of the 24HOB.

Just so you know, he reads e-Griz and called me last year after Alpha Griz's GREAT call for donations on that site!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj6w6OvVNpg&feature=youtu.be

If you're able to and feel so inclined, I'd appreciate any support you're comfortable with. No donation is too small and they're all desperately needed, much appreciated and tax deductible!

http://www.24hoursofbooty.org/site/TR/Bike/General?px=1185201&pg=personal&fr_id=1220

MSUBobcat
September 6th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Jay, man, you have a great way with words. You really put things in perspective. As someone who has two family members currently battling cancer, one winning, one..... I feel it's time to make good on my pledge to match my earlier donation, and hopefully can contribute again in the near future. You are awesome for what you are doing. xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx Thanks again!

FormerPokeCenter
September 7th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Ryan, man thank YOU for another great donation! I'm just riding a bike and playing on AGS and FB. You guys who donate are the ones doing the amazing things. The Donors are the reason that anything gets done!

Thank you SO much for supporting the cause! You ROCK!

IBleedYellow
September 7th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Dangit Jay, you make it hard to not empty my bank account when you post these!!

24HOB sounds like it would be a great time, maybe when I'm able to afford it to get to a place to ride...

FormerPokeCenter
September 7th, 2013, 09:17 AM
If you've got a bike, start riding! If you went to one of these, I guarantee you that you'd get bitten by the bug even worse than you already have! ;)

I'm gonna do all four rides next year....The Columbia, MD ride is the most problematic for me. I looked at Am-Traking it there and it's actually pretty affordable. I can take my laptop and get some work done on the trip...which I can't do if I drive it...I can ship the bike on the train for like $20.00...

TheRevSFA
September 7th, 2013, 09:50 AM
I support this thread and encourage you all to donate. 5 dollars can go a long way in the fight against cancer

MSU_77
September 7th, 2013, 10:35 AM
If you've got a bike, start riding! If you went to one of these, I guarantee you that you'd get bitten by the bug even worse than you already have! ;)

I'm gonna do all four rides next year....The Columbia, MD ride is the most problematic for me. I looked at Am-Traking it there and it's actually pretty affordable. I can take my laptop and get some work done on the trip...which I can't do if I drive it...I can ship the bike on the train for like $20.00...

If you need a place to stay while you're up here, let me know Jay.