PDA

View Full Version : Is Montana back?

AmsterBison
September 6th, 2013, 10:23 AM
To me, the Montana v App State game was the most eye-opening score of the first week (er, well, ok, maybe McNeese State was.)

catbob
September 6th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Of course they are. They are a lock for the NC, and both JJ and Van are going to win the Payton, and the award will be renamed The Grizzly Award.

All joking aside, it's too early to tell but they looked pretty good against ASU. But ASU is breaking in a new coach, transitioning conferences/divisions, and their stud WR was out.

But yes, I would say the Griz are back.

Grizalltheway
September 6th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Humorous hyperbole aside, the team I saw looked like they had pulled a complete 180 from last season. For the most part they were smart, disciplined, physical and confident on both sides of the ball. You can only tell so much from the first game of the season, but I'll be very suprised (and disappointed) if we don't contend for Big Sky and national titles. xtwocentsx

Silenoz
September 6th, 2013, 10:39 AM
We look like one of our better squads of recent years, so yes... expectations are already high

SpeedkingATL
September 6th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I thought the Van kid was one of the best looking running backs I've seen App play against. Some of the cuts he made were just sick and when he planted to cut he lost very little speed. Reminded me a little of Barry Sanders on his cuts. I expect the Griz will challenge in the Big Sky this year; if not then the Apps are in for a long year.

catbob
September 6th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Montana has a hell of an OL and DL, so if you have those things it doesn't take much else to be a contender. Last year they just had spotty QB play, and the secondary was even worse. They got their QB back, and the held App's passing game in check, so the secondary could be improved as well.

344Johnson
September 6th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Honestly, was Montana ever gone? One down year folks...and two seasons removed from a national semi-final...

Grizalltheway
September 6th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Honestly, was Montana ever gone? One down year folks...and two seasons removed from a national semi-final...

By our standards, yes. Plenty of people in Griz Nation were on suicide watch last season.

MTfan4life
September 6th, 2013, 11:28 AM

By our standards, yes. Plenty of people in Griz Nation were on suicide watch last season.

Exactly, after the last 20-30 seasons of above .500 ball and being in the playoffs almost every year, pulling our pants down for a season wasn't very delightful for most. Four straight embarrassing come from behind losses to SUU, NAU, UND, and EWU, and an offensive crap fest against the Cats at home. Watching a pass defense that would have given up 600 yards passing to UND's powderpuff team as long as they had greg hardin sitting wide open in the middle of the field was definitely the low light of the season, but it had many spots to compete with.

It was nice to see a combination of defensive execution when it mattered and offensive fireworks. It helps to have JJ back.

MTBison
September 6th, 2013, 11:28 AM

I would agree, I don't think many would be surprised to see Montana in the playoffs this year.

dbackjon
September 6th, 2013, 11:29 AM

GATW personally had to stop Grizo from kilting himself

Southern Bison
September 6th, 2013, 11:43 AM
GATW personally had to stop Grizo from kilting himself

Wouldn't a kilt on Grizo look more like a full-length dress? xlolx

knucklehead
September 6th, 2013, 11:53 AM
+1 Yea being somewhat down is not gone. So, it's hard to be back when they were never gone. It's called reloading.

Twentysix
September 6th, 2013, 12:28 PM
They looked good, totally manhandled app.

Though, until we see a few more games, it is possible App sucks really bad.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 6th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I wish some of them would have succeeded........................

ElCid
September 6th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I sure hope so since I picked them to win the BSC in clenz. It was a hunch.

Gil Dobie
September 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
From week 1 results, I would rate Montana as the second best Big Sky team, behind only EWU.

dudeitsaid
September 6th, 2013, 02:41 PM
From week 1 results, I would rate Montana as the second best Big Sky team, behind only EWU.

I hope that's true. As noted, it's really so hard to tell after one game. As much as I enjoyed UM's struggles last year, there was no way I would think it would last. UM has a passion for their football that is intense enough, there is no way the school or community would stand for lackluster performance for long. Add that to their incredible fan base, consistent relevance, and outstanding playing environment, they always have a recruiting edge over many, if not most, FCS teams. I'm just glad to see EWU at a place in their football program where they have been competitive and win some of these games. And it seems EWU is continuing to improve their own facilities, recruiting, etc. I just wish we were the only game in town like UM. We don't draw like UM with Spokane driving an hour to Pullman to watch the struggling FBS WSU Cougers. But attendance is improving, and with the Gateway project, and EWU's continued success and exposure, we may see the Spokane area embrace the team even more.

uofmman1122
September 6th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I hope that's true. As noted, it's really so hard to tell after one game. As much as I enjoyed UM's struggles last year, there was no way I would think it would last. UM has a passion for their football that is intense enough, there is no way the school or community would stand for lackluster performance for long. Add that to their incredible fan base, consistent relevance, and outstanding playing environment, they always have a recruiting edge over many, if not most, FCS teams. I'm just glad to see EWU at a place in their football program where they have been competitive and win some of these games. And it seems EWU is continuing to improve their own facilities, recruiting, etc. I just wish we were the only game in town like UM. We don't draw like UM with Spokane driving an hour to Pullman to watch the struggling FBS WSU Cougers. But attendance is improving, and with the Gateway project, and EWU's continued success and exposure, we may see the Spokane area embrace the team even more.Congrats on making this all about you. xlolx

Grizalltheway
September 6th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I wish some of them would have succeeded........................

What are you trying to say............................................... ...................................

eaglewraith
September 6th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I would agree, I don't think many would be surprised to see Montana in the playoffs this year.

In fairness, isn't it going to be almost impossible to miss the playoffs this year? I mean even Lehigh should be able to make it in :)

dudeitsaid
September 6th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Congrats on making this all about you. xlolx

Apparently, your attention span only lasts for one post. Read the prior post, and you'll see I was responding to someone.

Best game day experience: On the Griz home turf, getting heckled for wearing my EWU gear throughout the town, then beating you guys on your own turf, and with no way of coming back, you guys kept playing the "Nobody, and I mean nobody pushes us around in our house!" That must've been you pushing that button. Don't pay very close attention, do you! xblehx

uofmman1122
September 6th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Apparently, your attention span only lasts for one post. Read the prior post, and you'll see I was responding to someone.

Best game day experience: On the Griz home turf, getting heckled for wearing my EWU gear throughout the town, then beating you guys on your own turf, and with no way of coming back, you guys kept playing the "Nobody, and I mean nobody pushes us around in our house!" That must've been you pushing that button. Don't pay very close attention, do you! xblehx
How'd that work out for you in 2007?

2009?

2011?

But yeah, sick burn on something that happened nearly ten seasons ago. xpeacex

And you were responding to something about Montana by turning it into a complete non-sequitur about EWU's relevance in Spokane, clearly breaking AGS rules. xcoffeex

citdog
September 6th, 2013, 03:40 PM
From what I saw in Washington-Grizzly Stadium last Saturday evening I would say yes.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 6th, 2013, 03:42 PM
How'd that work out for you in 2007?

2009?

2011?

But yeah, sick burn on something that happened nearly ten seasons ago. xpeacex

And you were responding to something about Montana by turning it into a complete non-sequitur about EWU's relevance in Spokane, clearly breaking AGS rules. xcoffeex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxiSe4iwwGE

Been waiting a long time to steal that from 02.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 6th, 2013, 03:43 PM
On topic, catbobby, GATW, & MTfan pretty much sewed up all my thoughts early in the thread.

Ronin
September 6th, 2013, 04:42 PM

Suicide watch? Love the writing skills.

Still to early to tell how they will do for the season, but they are off to a good start. Montana is always a threat.

Silenoz
September 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM

Still to early to tell how they will do for the season, but they are off to a good start. Montana is always a threat.
?

SeattleGriz
September 6th, 2013, 05:30 PM
It's a done deal.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 6th, 2013, 05:57 PM

?

Twentysix
September 6th, 2013, 06:50 PM
?

??

Red & Black
September 6th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Based on what I saw in the App game, I'd say that yes, they're back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
September 6th, 2013, 09:55 PM
??

???

Moto X

BisonFan02
September 6th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Been waiting a long time to steal that from 02.

THERE'S NO RULES!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xemLz_fR1Ac

Twentysix
September 7th, 2013, 12:28 AM
???

Moto X

????

X otoM

Screamin_Eagle174
September 7th, 2013, 01:16 AM
I sure hope so since I picked them to win the BSC in clenz. It was a hunch.

Big *****ty colon? Bloated sphincter chute? Whatever it is, I'm sure glad the Griz are getting it if it's been inside Clenz. xcoffeex

Screamin_Eagle174
September 7th, 2013, 01:17 AM
As per the thread prompt, the Griz didn't leave. They've just been in the bathroom wiping shart out of their pants...

Southern Bison
September 7th, 2013, 01:45 AM
As per the thread prompt, the Griz didn't leave. They've just been in the bathroom wiping shart out of their pants...

Haven't y'all been wiping if off your face since the National Semifinal game last season?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 7th, 2013, 01:47 AM

Sure, and as we always have we wear the big boy pants in the conference. Everybody goes through having to spend a minute or two in the bathroom like EWU did in 2011.

Southern Bison
September 7th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Sure, and as we always have we wear the big boy pants in the conference. Everybody goes through having to spend a minute or two in the bathroom like EWU did in 2011.

...and 2012 against the Big Sky Champions - Sam Houston State!

Twentysix
September 7th, 2013, 08:50 PM

Lololol.

Walkon79
September 8th, 2013, 03:35 PM

Are you some kinda prophet?? :)