PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota State at North Dakota game notes

darell1976
September 5th, 2013, 09:08 AM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/272393/

South Dakota State coach John Stiegelmeier has his concerns about the aerial attack of the UND offense his Jackrabbits will face Saturday night in the Potato Bowl.
“They throw the ball deep more than any team we’ll face this year,” Stiegelmeier said. “They threw for a zillion yards last year.”
UND coaches, meanwhile, have their eyes in the trenches.
“They’re big and physical up front,” UND defensive coordinator Josh Kotelnicki said. “They run very well. That’ll be our big test right away.”

Individually, UND and SDSU fit their league clichés to a T. UND passed for a program record 3,268 yards in 2012. In the 2013 season opener, the Green and White threw for 286 yards against Valparaiso with 256 of those yards coming in the first half.
South Dakota State was more balanced in its season opener against Butler than what was expected with 358 passing yards and 188 rushing yards.
But, make no mistake — the Jacks want to run the ball.
“How well can we hold up front physically?” Kotelnicki said. “This will really test us on our run reads and how well we tackle in space.”

Stiegelmeier, a SDSU assistant before becoming the Jacks’ head coach 17 seasons ago, is familiar with the North Dakota rivalry. His team hasn’t won in Grand Forks since 1989.
He said one of his concerns is UND’s 3-4 defense, which only two or three Missouri Valley programs employ. SDSU runs a four-man front.
“We’ve had trouble with that 30 front,” Stiegelmeier said. “We don’t play it, so we don’t practice against it. That’s part of it. It’s an advantage in the sense that we haven’t attacked it much.”
Despite the deep connections between UND and SDSU, Stiegelmeier said this version of North Dakota looks different than the teams he remembers — even the one he saw in 2010 in Brookings.
This year’s UND team is much scarier through the air than Stiegelmeier recalls from the Dale Lennon era. The former UND head coach is now a Missouri Valley head coach at Southern Illinois.
“Dale was smash-mouth,” Stiegelmeier said. “They still do a little smash-mouth now, but they’ll throw the football.”

Time to keep that 24 year old streak alive!!

IBleedYellow
September 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Stop Zenner, I dare you. :D

BisonBohl
September 5th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Should be an interesting game. Didnt learn much from either team last week, due to opponents being weak. I dont see any way UND will be able to stop SDSU running game with the defense they displayed last year. I think UND will score points but not enough to beat SDSU.

344Johnson
September 5th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Should be an interesting game. Didnt learn much from either team last week, due to opponents being weak. I dont see any way UND will be able to stop SDSU running game with the defense they displayed last year. I think UND will score points but not enough to beat SDSU.

Jacks 42
UN_ 24

deez_na
September 5th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Jacks 42
UN_ 24

Nice guess, I was thinking 41-24 SDSU. I'm going to this game since I live in forks and Bison games are always sold out. Hard to get tickets for the Bison games.

344Johnson
September 5th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Nice guess, I was thinking 41-24 SDSU. I'm going to this game since I live in forks and Bison games are always sold out. Hard to get tickets for the Bison games.

Missed PAT or a couple of field goals?

deez_na
September 5th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Missed PAT or a couple of field goals?

I was thinking a couple of field goals. Regardless i'll enjoy this game and UND people who talk **** to me since i live in forks will be fun to talk to when i'm telling them i told you so after the waffle stomping they get.

darell1976
September 5th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I was thinking a couple of field goals. Regardless i'll enjoy this game and UND people who talk **** to me since i live in forks will be fun to talk to when i'm telling them i told you so after the waffle stomping they get.

Or vice versa when UND goes 2-0 and they tell you, I told you so. ;)

deez_na
September 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Or vice versa when UND goes 2-0 and they tell you, I told you so. ;)

lol if that happens i will eat my words. I'll be there though and tailgating.

darell1976
September 5th, 2013, 02:31 PM
lol if that happens i will eat my words. I'll be there though and tailgating.

Lets just hope for a nice clean game and no refs mucking it up. Last year's Montana nailbiter was a classic, maybe this one will be the same.

deez_na
September 5th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Lets just hope for a nice clean game and no refs mucking it up. Last year's Montana nailbiter was a classic, maybe this one will be the same.

Would you be offended if I wore NDSU stuff to the game this saturday? ;)

darell1976
September 5th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Would you be offended if I wore NDSU stuff to the game this saturday? ;)

I saw people do that at the UND/Montana game last year. Won't bother me any. I wonder what the Jacks fans would think?

deez_na
September 5th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I saw people do that at the UND/Montana game last year. Won't bother me any. I wonder what the Jacks fans would think?

Yeah i wonder. I'm not wearing any NDSU stuff there anyway. I have a nice UND shirt i'll wear. Yes I'm a bison fan who will rarely wear UND clothes but since I live in Forks and games are easier to get into here i do go to them sometimes but will never cheer for UND over NDSU ever.

IBleedYellow
September 5th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Yeah i wonder. I'm not wearing any NDSU stuff there anyway. I have a nice UND shirt i'll wear. Yes I'm a bison fan who will rarely wear UND clothes but since I live in Forks and games are easier to get into here i do go to them sometimes but will never cheer for UND over NDSU ever.

How you haven't spontaneously died yet is a feat unknown to man.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 5th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Pretty much this. I will certainly be paying attention to this one, good benchmark to see how good UND will be.

deez_na
September 5th, 2013, 03:12 PM
How you haven't spontaneously died yet is a feat unknown to man.

Well come on now, why is that so shocking? I'm a die hard Bison fan but i have a brother who is a huge UND fan so i go to some games with him. I'm not a fan i just go to them cause it's convenient.

birdsflyhigh
September 5th, 2013, 03:13 PM
GO JACKS! Take no prisoners at UND and show how Valleyball is played...oh yeah.

ROCK IT MVFC! xnodx

darell1976
September 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Pretty much this. I will certainly be paying attention to this one, good benchmark to see how good UND will be.

Nether team learned anything from playing Valpo or Butler. We know about Zenner and they know about Hardin question is you stop Zenner can SDSU throw the ball and if you stop Hardin can UND run the ball. Of course there is always the defense question, has UND improved with its new coaches and can SDSU shut out UND like they did in 2010.

deez_na
September 5th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Nether team learned anything from playing Valpo or Butler. We know about Zenner and they know about Hardin question is you stop Zenner can SDSU throw the ball and if you stop Hardin can UND run the ball. Of course there is always the defense question, has UND improved with its new coaches and can SDSU shut out UND like they did in 2010.

Between those 2 scenarios, i trust SDSU's defense much much more to stop the run then UND stopping the pass. SDSU has a solid defense. UND on the other hand has been far from good defensively

DJKyR0
September 5th, 2013, 04:36 PM
48-28 SDSU.

darell1976
September 5th, 2013, 04:38 PM
How about instead of a score prediction lets have a Zenner rushing yard prediction. I am guessing 110.

BisonFan02
September 5th, 2013, 04:49 PM
How about instead of a score prediction lets have a Zenner rushing yard prediction. I am guessing 110.

Only way he goes for 110 is if he gets hurt or they pull him because they have a large lead.

robsnotes4u
September 5th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I say 183 yards, but I hope it is 50 yards

BisonFan02
September 5th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I'm going up for the Montana game during NDSU's bye week with a tailgating bud and we will be in Griz apparel...haha

BisonFan02
September 5th, 2013, 04:52 PM

robsnotes4u
September 5th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Hell my wife is a Griz alum and helps with the group in Fargo for the Cat/Griz Game. She got asked to help run the Cat Tailgating in Grand Forks, which she is going to do. I don't know if they will get her in one of the Cat Shirts. If she does it will be on Facebook. I am sure there will be a lot of Griz faithful up there cheering on the Cats, that is just what Montanans do.

I'm going up for the Montana game during NDSU's bye week with a tailgating bud and we will be in Griz apparel...haha

BisonFan02
September 5th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Hell my wife is a Griz alum and helps with the group in Fargo for the Cat/Griz Game. She got asked to help run the Cat Tailgating in Grand Forks, which she is going to do. I don't know if they will get her in one of the Cat Shirts. If she does it will be on Facebook. I am sure there will be a lot of Griz faithful up there cheering on the Cats, that is just what Montanans do.

Griz fans cheering on the Cats? OK........

Green1
September 5th, 2013, 05:09 PM

Bison fan cheering for UND?!! What is this world coming to? LOL

robsnotes4u
September 5th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Griz fans cheering on the Cats? OK........

Weird but fan bases cheer for each other her in Fargo when not playing each other in the playoffs. Like my wife says, "we just want to cheer on our Montana kids and teams". It is a great atmosphere.

KUlawJack
September 5th, 2013, 05:17 PM

To an earlier post where you stated we couldn't know about the teams from the first week due to the teams we both played: I do know that Butler is much, much better than Valpo. I did gather that. Valpo is atrocious.

I think you guys will score some points as you have a very good offense.

Based on film, our offense is going to roll though. I'd expect you to see quite a bit of play action and a healthy dose of Zenner.

Zenner goes for about 175, but Sumner throws for over 275. We are going to throw it a lot more this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Jacks 38-20

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2013, 05:21 PM

Yikes...I need to have a word with you....xrolleyesx

RabidRabbit
September 5th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I say 183 yards, but I hope it is 50 yards This will be the answer. Either Z squared will bust 2 or 3 long gains (30 yds +), or UND's defense will be fantastic, and bottle him up. There were no in-between in Zenner's game.

Biggest difference offensively for the Rabbits from last year is how much improved Austin Sumner is due to the throwing hand's thumb surgery. Really hampered Sumners ability to pass long last year. He doesn't have that issue this year, and he will hit 6 to 7 (or more) targets for the day. Also note that the FG kicker set the SDSU consecutive FG made at 14 in the Butler game. He's been another really good FG kicker for SDSU.

Bison56
September 5th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Double Z will go over 200.

89rabbit
September 5th, 2013, 10:27 PM
http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=209250933

Jacks face first road test at UND

The nationally ranked South Dakota State University football team faces its first road test of the season Saturday, traveling to Grand Forks, N.D., for a meeting against longtime rival North Dakota.
Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. at the Alerus Center.
Both teams are coming off home victories against Pioneer Football League opponents in the opening week of action. The Jackrabbits handled Butler (Ind.), 55-14, on Aug. 31, while UND drubbed Valparaiso (Ind.), 69-10, on Aug. 29.
SDSU enters the week ranked sixth in the Football Championship Subdivision media poll conducted by The Sports Network and seventh in the FCS Coaches Poll. . . . (read more)

Southern Bison
September 5th, 2013, 11:03 PM

http://youtu.be/MUylUsG-PKA

Deez_na, you'v been warned...

dakotadan
September 5th, 2013, 11:42 PM
If I had to put my own money on this game, I'd go with SDSU. But I'm expecting to see a closer game than most here are predicting.But I'm definitely interested to finally see what UND is (or isn't) able to do against a real team. It was impossible to take anything away from the Valpo game.

thebootfitter
September 6th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Jacks 38-20
That sounds about right to me. I might give UN_ one more score if they're playing hot.

ZZ tops 150 yards.

citdog
September 6th, 2013, 04:44 AM
ZZ tops 150 yards.

I see what you did there.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID43328/images/1109.jpg

Reppies to you!

Can you fit me some Brogans?

89rabbit
September 6th, 2013, 07:23 AM
The game will be in Fox College Sports

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=209251367

deez_na
September 6th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Yikes...I need to have a word with you....xrolleyesx

Well I have a huge UND fan in my brother so i tend to watch some games with him. I just go to enjoy football. NDSU all the way but it's enjoyable watching UND lose games too :) SDSU by 17+

deez_na
September 6th, 2013, 07:47 AM
http://youtu.be/MUylUsG-PKA

Deez_na, you'v been warned...

lol, don't worry I'm bison all the way everyday.

deez_na
September 6th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Unless UND's defense has vastly improved. Zenner for 250

darell1976
September 6th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Unless UND's defense has vastly improved. Zenner for 250

Maybe Ryan Bartels will pull a Peyton Manning and throw for 7TDs. Seriously I hope UND can get a run game this year, throwing the ball down the field is nice but if you can't control the clock and run the ball you are setting yourself up for disaster.

deez_na
September 6th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Maybe Ryan Bartels will pull a Peyton Manning and throw for 7TDs. Seriously I hope UND can get a run game this year, throwing the ball down the field is nice but if you can't control the clock and run the ball you are setting yourself up for disaster.

yeah that was an amazing performance by Peyton last night. UND will need to mix it up but they do rely on their passing heavily so if that does go great then they have a chance but they need something to work on the ground.

darell1976
September 6th, 2013, 08:08 AM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/272486/

In 2011, patrons of the annual French Fry Feed Thursday, part of the week-long festivities leading up to the Potato Bowl football game Saturday, polished off 5,010 pounds of fries. That record stood after last year’s somewhat stormy get-together left the starchy side dish soggy with rainwater instead of ketchup.
But the company supplying the fries brought back their secret weapon this year: A custom fryer made specifically for the occasion. The propane-powered steel monstrosity was modified this year, which added a foot at each end, according to Scott Lund, the quality assurance manager at the J.R. Simplot Co.
“So we increased its size, which allows us to put more fries in,” Lund said. “We made some changes to the system overall, so we’re getting a little more heat into it, which allows us to put more pounds into the fryer.”
But even with the increased frying power, they only served 4,860 pounds, about 150 short of the record.

Upcoming Potato Bowl events:
Hugo’s Potato Bowl 10k Run & Tater Tot Trot starts today with registration at 4 p.m. at the Riverside Park Warming House. Registration is $30 for the 10k run and $12 for the Tater Tot Trot, ages 17 and under, with a maximum of $25 per family. The Tater Tot Trot starts at 5:30 p.m. and the 10k starts at 6 p.m. Don’t forget to find Potato Bowl Pete. The proceeds from the race go to help fight hunger in the greater Grand Forks area.

The KEM Shrine Potato Bowl Parade takes place Saturday at 10:30 a.m. The route starts behind the YMCA and goes to DeMers Avenue and heads east over the river into East Grand Forks. It continues to Fourth Street Northwest and ends in the Riverwalk Centre parking lot. A map can be found at potatobowl.org/parade.

The 48th annual Potato Bowl Football Game starts with tailgating at 2 p.m. Kick off time for the game against SDSU is 6 p.m. at the Alerus Center. This is the last chance to find Potato Bowl Pete. For ticket information call (877) 917-4689.

Kids can't wait for the parade and I can't wait for the game. Its too bad they didn't break the record for fries.

KUlawJack
September 6th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Your best bet is to dink and dunk us in the short passing game and then hit a big play. You're not going to be able to run it very effectively from what I've seen. We've got you outmanned in the trenches on both sides of the ball. You've got big play wide receivers. I'd expect to see both of these things bear themselves out on Saturday. I still expect the Jacks to pull out the victory.

IBleedYellow
September 6th, 2013, 08:13 AM
UND fans. No smack intended here, but please tell me the defensive changes you guys have made since last year.

If you give up as many yards last year, you will have issues. The only team that held ZZ under 100 yards (in two games, fwiw) was a pretty stout NDSU defense.

UNDBIZ
September 6th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Well, I just gave the bunnies the kiss of death by picking them in my picks league. Hopefully the injuries aren't season-ending :(

89rabbit
September 6th, 2013, 08:23 AM
From KELO TV in Sioux Falls, SD:

http://www.keloland.com/videoarchive/?videofile=130905sports

UNDBIZ
September 6th, 2013, 08:29 AM
UND fans. No smack intended here, but please tell me the defensive changes you guys have made since last year.

Def Coord, nose, couple LBs, safeties, 1 CB

Wasn't real impressed with the play against a bad Valpo team. Hopefully they get the kinks out and are ready to play an actual team.

KUlawJack
September 6th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Def Coord, nose, couple LBs, safeties, 1 CB

Wasn't real impressed with the play against a bad Valpo team. Hopefully they get the kinks out and are ready to play an actual team.

The nose guard and LBs will be tested right away. We'll be running between the tackles. You will see hardly anything to the outside.

UNDColorado
September 6th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Last year our middle linebacker Garrison Goodman missed a chunk of the season ans was playing with an injured foot most of the year. He's looking pretty good right now but we haven't played any real competition. I guess we'll find out after Saturday if UND is improving or not. Tackling- I have never seen so many missed tackles(last year)...at any level. Watch for signs of improvement (or lack of) as it should be a good indication of progress.

I am really excited to see these two teams match up because everyone knows how good SDSU has been so this should give us good sense of where our team is. I will be happy if we keep it close.

darell1976
September 6th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Last year our middle linebacker Garrison Goodman missed a chunk of the season ans was playing with an injured foot most of the year. He's looking pretty good right now but we haven't played any real competition. I guess we'll find out after Saturday if UND is improving or not. Tackling- I have never seen so many missed tackles(last year)...at any level. Watch for signs of improvement (or lack of) as it should be a good indication of progress.

I am really excited to see these two teams match up because everyone knows how good SDSU has been so this should give us good sense of where our team is. I will be happy if we keep it close.

Its hard to know if UND's D has improved since we only played Valpo. I wish UND played an FBS team or a better FCS team to know right away where we stand, by playing a cupcake its just like a preseason game. You look at your starters for the first 30 minutes and evaluate instead of looking at the full 60 minutes. The talk is UND's D against Zenner, how is SDSU's secondary going to look defending Hardin, Gollaway, and Jameer Jackson?

UNDColorado
September 6th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Its hard to know if UND's D has improved since we only played Valpo. I wish UND played an FBS team or a better FCS team to know right away where we stand, by playing a cupcake its just like a preseason game. You look at your starters for the first 30 minutes and evaluate instead of looking at the full 60 minutes. The talk is UND's D against Zenner, how is SDSU's secondary going to look defending Hardin, Gollaway, and Jameer Jackson?

I am interested in seeing our receivers going at full throttle...but we have to contain Zenner. I say contain because the kid is too good to be stopped...see Greg Hardin. Normally I am not a fan of a valpo type game but since we have redshirt freshies at QB it was nice to get them confidence early. Otherwise it was just a hyped up scrimmage.

BisonBacker
September 6th, 2013, 09:38 AM
This will be an interesting game and for UN_ it will tell them where they stand in the pecking order for the FCS. I expect a 2+ TD win by SDSU. If it's closer than that I'll be surprised.

darell1976
September 6th, 2013, 09:41 AM
This will be an interesting game and for UN_ it will tell them where they stand in the pecking order for the FCS. I expect a 2+ TD win by SDSU. If it's closer than that I'll be surprised.

So if our defense gets better do we get the D back in our name...of course in the eyes of the Summit League you will always be FU.

BisonBacker
September 6th, 2013, 09:45 AM
I'll give ya a UND- :D

UNDBIZ
September 6th, 2013, 09:59 AM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/DNV5/django/image.png

IBleedYellow
September 6th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Zenner will probably have over 200 yards rushing.

darell1976
September 6th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Who is behind Zenner, if heaven forbid he gets hurt, does SDSU have the RB depth to run on UND?

Bisonator
September 6th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Who is behind Zenner, if heaven forbid he gets hurt, does SDSU have the RB depth to run on UND?

You could have ran on UND last year! xlolx

darell1976
September 6th, 2013, 12:48 PM
You could have ran on UND last year! xlolx

True, but this is a new year.

Bisonator
September 6th, 2013, 12:49 PM
True, but this is a new year.

True.xpeacex

KUlawJack
September 6th, 2013, 01:27 PM

Reggie Gandy is the number 2 on the depth chart followed by Isaac Rodridguez, who is a smaller scat-back type player. Gandy spelled Zenner last year and had 10 carries for 68 yards against Butler. He is more than capable of having a big game (see his numbers against EIU last year), but there is a drop from ZZ to him. He's a hard runner, got a little bit of wiggle and decent speed.

IBleedYellow
September 6th, 2013, 02:19 PM

Watch it guys! They are going to try and hurt Zenner, and you will in return take out one of _ND's offensive lineman.

aces1180
September 6th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Watch it guys! They are going to try and hurt Zenner, and you will in return take out one of _ND's offensive lineman.

Why do you call them _ND and not UN_?

IBleedYellow
September 6th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Why do you call them _ND and not UN_?

They aren't a University? :D

Just a place up in North Dakota.

darell1976
September 6th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Been a University longer than you. 1883 for UND 1960 for NDSUAAS. (1890-1959 NDAC). Talk about name changes. ;)

aces1180
September 6th, 2013, 03:09 PM

Gotcha...I prefer UN_ because they have absolutely no defense.

IBleedYellow
September 6th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Been a University longer than you. 1883 for UND 1960 for NDSUAAS. (1890-1959 NDAC). Talk about name changes. ;)

Pretty sure you're just a money sink...I mean semi-pro hockey team.

darell1976
September 6th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Gotcha...I prefer UN_ because they have absolutely no defense.

Hey...we have a defense, well sorta. :(

darell1976
September 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Pretty sure you're just a money sink...I mean semi-pro hockey team.

Would you like to run a tap from the money sink to the SHAC?

IBleedYellow
September 6th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Hey...we have a defense, well sorta. :(

We'll see tomorrow with Zenner as a test.

Would you like to run a tap from the money sink to the SHAC?

Nah, Women's hockey with it's 300 fans probably is a heavy enough noose around your neck to last awhile.

WeAreNorthDakota
September 6th, 2013, 06:00 PM

If you give up as many yards last year, you will have issues. The only team that held ZZ under 100 yards (in two games, fwiw) was a pretty stout NDSU defense.

There are a few reasons for optimism. First is the switch from Mannasau to Kotelnicki at DC. Schematically last year our D looked incredibly conservative with the defensive backs constantly giving a huge cushion. Combine that with some bad tackling in the front 7 and it was a recipe for disaster. I expect Kotelnicki to be much more aggressive with his schemes. Second, Garrison Goodman, our best linebacker, missed a good chunk of last year and played hurt in several games while still finishing 4th on the team in tackles. He looks healthy now and should make a difference. Lastly, no more Erik Merserau. He was really bad at safety last year. He'll be replaced by a promising looking freshman in Cam Kuska and a guy in Javen Butler who looks to have all the physical tools to be a playmaker but has had trouble getting eligible. How quickly those two get acclimated to the defensive schemes will be huge to our defensive success.

Lots of what ifs but there have been real and tangible changes on the defensive side of the ball.

darell1976
September 6th, 2013, 06:28 PM
We'll see tomorrow with Zenner as a test.

Nah, Women's hockey with it's 300 fans probably is a heavy enough noose around your neck to last awhile.

I believe women's hockey was created by Title IX.

IBleedYellow
September 6th, 2013, 08:29 PM

Oh, I am sure it had to be. Just sucks that in order to have a men's hockey team, you guys have to field a team that has at most 1k people in the Ralph on any given night.

That was my talk about money sink, obviously.

Twentysix
September 6th, 2013, 08:36 PM

But darell, I am not, nor have I ever been a University. ;)

MplsBison
September 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM
The nose guard and LBs will be tested right away. We'll be running between the tackles. You will see hardly anything to the outside.

Naturally. They just more or less copy & pasted NDSU's inside running game playbook after getting smashed up pretty well in the mid 2000's.

Had a nice run 2007-2009.

MSUBobcat
September 6th, 2013, 08:59 PM

Oh, I am sure it had to be. Just sucks that in order to have a men's hockey team, you guys have to field a team that has at most 1k people in the Ralph on any given night.

That was my talk about money sink, obviously.

I'm sure women's hockey was created due to Title IX, but it wasn't so UND could have a men's team. UND has had men's hockey uninterrupted since 1946. I don't recall if women's hockey was added to equalize a men's sport being added or if another women's sport was disbanded, but its formation had nothing to do with being able to field a men's team. All schools have "money sinks", they're called every sport besides football, sometimes basketball, sometimes hockey, depending on the school.

DJKyR0
September 6th, 2013, 09:02 PM
So if our defense gets better do we get the D back in our name...of course in the eyes of the Summit League you will always be FU.

Dig it guys, darrell wants the D.

MSUBobcat
September 6th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Dig it guys, darrell wants the D.

If you had their defense from last year, wouldn't you want the D too? xnodx:D

DJKyR0
September 6th, 2013, 09:33 PM
If you had their defense from last year, wouldn't you want the D too? xnodx:D

Their defense was the ones getting the D all year.

robsnotes4u
September 6th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Well I will be in grand forks, but not to see the game. Taking the in laws up to visit my daughter in her third year at UND. Will be glued to my phone for this and the Cats game, and whatever else comes across my Score app. I am sure I will be getting the look from my wife. It would be different if her Griz didn't have an off week.

Oh well good luck to UND and MSU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

89rabbit
September 7th, 2013, 07:07 AM
From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20130907/SPORTS0202/309070041/Jacks-expect-UND-challenge

Jacks expect UND challenge

Written by

Terry Vandrovec ([email protected])

GRAND FORKS, N.D. — There’s considerable history between South Dakota State and North Dakota totaled over 84 gridiron meetings, but none of it seems applicable today. Their respective Week 1 results might not mean much, either.The formerly Fighting Sioux thrive on the deep ball and have the personnel suited to do so, looking far more like Big Sky members than the NCAA Division II defensive juggernauts they used to be.
They also have designs on securing a signature win, and besting the Jackrabbits would qualify as such. At No. 6 in the media poll, SDSU will be the highest-ranked Football Championship Subdivision opponent ever to visit the Alerus Center. . . . (read more)

NDSUstudent
September 7th, 2013, 08:20 PM
SDSU lowering the boom.

Bison56
September 7th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Double Z will go over 200.
Should have went with over 300.

NDSUstudent
September 7th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Should have went with over 300.

I don't think Double Z went over 50 yards against NDSU last year in any single game.

IBleedYellow
September 7th, 2013, 08:29 PM
46 was his top.

Crazy.

mmiller_34
September 7th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Good game UND. Congrats on your tall, skinny, fast receivers.

NDSUstudent
September 7th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Good game UND. Congrats on your tall, skinny, fast receivers.

Toe to toe

darell1976
September 7th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Mussman's D sucks again, so we know its the players...can't tackle worth a crap, I am shocked SDSU didn't blow us out. Next up is Montana and if don't correct this problem pretty quick look out ISU and UNC as we will be at the bottom of the league.

Twentysix
September 7th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Mussman's D sucks again, so we know its the players...can't tackle worth a crap, I am shocked SDSU didn't blow us out. Next up is Montana and if don't correct this problem pretty quick look out ISU and UNC as we will be at the bottom of the league.

You will probably beat Montana.

App was garbage.

KUlawJack
September 7th, 2013, 09:43 PM
We tried to give it away, but got the W. Very underwhelming. Should not have even been trying to throw it in the 4th the way ZZ was rolling. Eidsness (OC) has always been in love with throwing it. Super annoying.

darell1976
September 7th, 2013, 09:56 PM
We tried to give it away, but got the W. Very underwhelming. Should not have even been trying to throw it in the 4th the way ZZ was rolling. Eidsness (OC) has always been in love with throwing it. Super annoying.

On the upside I did talk with an SDSU fan from near Sioux Falls. Nice people. Close finish, and that Zenner is definitely NFL material. Good luck Jacks the rest of the season and if UND can get their **** together on defense maybe ( a strong maybe) we will see you in the postseason.

Bison56
September 7th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Was it me or was the camera work during the game horibble? Semmed like they had the camera zoomed in way to much made it hard to watch.

344Johnson
September 7th, 2013, 11:02 PM
On the upside I did talk with an SDSU fan from near Sioux Falls. Nice people. Close finish, and that Zenner is definitely NFL material. Good luck Jacks the rest of the season and if UND can get their **** together on defense maybe ( a strong maybe) we will see you in the postseason.

LOL wut?

Twentysix
September 7th, 2013, 11:35 PM
LOL wut?

Have to agree, that has got to be tongue in cheek. I mean he's pretty good, but NFL? No.

Southern Bison
September 7th, 2013, 11:39 PM

Montana whoops your ass. So much for that 2nd round game in Fargo, eh? 119th year down the drain.

Twentysix
September 7th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Mussman's D sucks again, so we know its the players...can't tackle worth a crap, I am shocked SDSU didn't blow us out. Next up is Montana and if don't correct this problem pretty quick look out ISU and UNC as we will be at the bottom of the league.[/QUOTE]

Montana whoops your ass. So much for that 2nd round game in Fargo, eh? 119th year down the drain.

With app losing to a MEAC team today, I wouldn't count UND out just yet (in regard to the UM UND game).

Montana's ranking is riding on the illusion of app being good, and that first game being a quality beat down.

Bisonwinagn
September 8th, 2013, 12:49 AM
With app losing to a MEAC team today, I wouldn't count UND out just yet (in regard to the UM UND game).

Montana's ranking is riding on the illusion of app being good, and that first game being a quality beat down.

Agreed I think UND can bet Montana. Congrats to SDSU, but I don't think they played thier best game today.

Bisonoline
September 8th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Was it me or was the camera work during the game horibble? Semmed like they had the camera zoomed in way to much made it hard to watch.

You were not alone. Trying to follow the play in zoom mode? Wow it was bad!!!!

mvemjsunpx
September 8th, 2013, 01:10 AM

NoDak better improve their run D fast, or the Griz game will probably look much the same as today's SDSU one.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2013, 01:36 AM
NoDak better improve their run D fast, or the Griz game will probably look much the same as today's SDSU one.

I don't think their Run D will get much better, if Montana can't run on them it is simply that their running game isn't as good as SDSU's.

darell1976
September 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Have to agree, that has got to be tongue in cheek. I mean he's pretty good, but NFL? No.

Maybe he looked incredible because our defense sucks but watching him breaking tackles, sprinting down the field especially on that 4th and inches. I think he has a shot at the NFL. Let's see what he does against Nebraska and NDSU ( teams with a real defense) to see if I'm right.

RabidRabbit
September 8th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Maybe he looked incredible because our defense sucks but watching him breaking tackles, sprinting down the field especially on that 4th and inches. I think he has a shot at the NFL. Let's see what he does against Nebraska and NDSU ( teams with a real defense) to see if I'm right.

Everyone on both sides of the line KNEW that the play would be a line plunge by ZZ, so everyone was bunched within 5 yds of the line. O-line opened a seem, ZZ hits at full speed, gone!

It is very rare for ZZ to be caught once in the secondary. His best play though was the TD pass reception were he juked and jived through 6 missed tackles for 25 yds, diving the last 3 into the EZ.

If can contain ZZ, which means the D beats the O-line, then yes, ZZ can be stopped. But get him in space, he's not going to be run down.

darell1976
September 8th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Everyone on both sides of the line KNEW that the play would be a line plunge by ZZ, so everyone was bunched within 5 yds of the line. O-line opened a seem, ZZ hits at full speed, gone!

It is very rare for ZZ to be caught once in the secondary. His best play though was the TD pass reception were he juked and jived through 6 missed tackles for 25 yds, diving the last 3 into the EZ.

If can contain ZZ, which means the D beats the O-line, then yes, ZZ can be stopped. But get him in space, he's not going to be run down.

His strength in breaking tackles was a sight. I thought with more guys in the box UND can stop him and force SDSU to pass, WRONG!! Good game, and I hope UND can get SDSU on the schedule down the road.

UNDBIZ
September 8th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Sounds like it was a problem with the feed going to fox college sports. The video on midco's hd channel looked fine for the most part

UNDColorado
September 8th, 2013, 10:18 AM

THis! Worst camera work I have seen from any Midco production.

UNDColorado
September 8th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Zenner has to be the best back I have seen in FCS over the last couple years. Good luck the rest of the way Jacks!

344Johnson
September 8th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Don't know if what they are calling a defense down in Lincoln is actually a defense or not. Zenner got thumped around by NDSU last season. Good running back....but he is not going to do anything in the League.

darell1976
September 8th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Don't know if what they are calling a defense down in Lincoln is actually a defense or not. Zenner got thumped around by NDSU last season. Good running back....but he is not going to do anything in the League.

It surely isn't the way NU's defense used to be especially almost losing to Wyoming.