PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Huskies at #17 James Madison Dukes

JMU Duke Dog
September 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I hope that JMU has made the most of having two straight weeks of practice and will have made significant progress on offense compared to the Dukes' previous two game thus far in 2006.

JMU Duke Dog
September 18th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Game notes from JMU's athletics website...

http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stats/2/Notes.pdf

JMU Duke Dog
September 18th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Interesting facts about this series...

JMU leads the series 10-8, dominating its early years while Northeastern has been the more-successful squad recently.
Northeastern has won the last four meetings, including 41-24 in 2003 in the last series game.
The scheduled 1989 meeting at JMU was canceled due to a measles outbreak in the Boston area and the Northeastern team for a time being prohibited from traveling outside of Massachusetts.
A 1-9 Northeastern team closed its season with a 9-6 overtime win at JMU in 1994. JMU was 9-1 at the time and went on to reach the second round of the Division I-AA playoffs.
JMU coach Mickey Matthews (1999-present) won his first game as a head coach in a 29-21 decision over Northeastern Sept. 11, 1999 at JMU.
JMU's Delvin Joyce (1997-2000) at Northeastern in the Dukes' final 2000 game became the first Division I-AA player to reach the 1,000-yard career yardage mark in the statistical categories of rushing, receiving, kickoff returns and punt returns.
Northeastern's current offensive coordinator Eddie Davis was JMU's former offensive coordinator and also coached the quarterbacks, wide receivers, and special teams from 1999-2003.

MR. CHICKEN
September 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM
DAWGS...WILL CURB...DUH HUSKIES.......PUT DUH "W"....IN DUH "W" COLLUMN....(YOUSE GUYS SWEAT DUH SMALL STUFF)...:confused:...BRAWK!

WHEN YA'LL DEVELOPE TRADITION.......YA'LL WILL GET....WHAT DUH BIRD IS TALKIN' 'BOUT!:nod:

igo4uni
September 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM
YA'LL WILL GET....WHAT DUH BIRD IS TALKIN' 'BOUT!:nod:

Very few get "What duh bird is talkin' 'bout"

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

JMU Duke Dog
September 19th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I'll believe it when I actually see us go with a different offensive mindeset. Here was an article from The Northern Virginia Daily.

JMU to debut new-look offense
Atlantic 10 notebook - Bye week let Matthews tweak his previously stagnant offensive unit -- By Ryan Sonner (Daily Staff Writer)

The past week has been Extreme Makeover: JMU Edition.

On Monday, coach Mickey Matthews said the Dukes' offense, a glaring weakness through two games, has undergone a face-lift of sorts.

"We're evaluating everything offensively that we do — from top to bottom," he said during the Atlantic 10 coaches teleconference. "We're trying to evaluate the plays we're calling and if we're playing the right players."

(click here to continue... (http://www.nvdaily.com/News/336552432587536.bsp))

blur2005
September 20th, 2006, 02:10 AM
All I have to say is that JMU better win this game. I don't care what you change, just get the W. And play better than you did against Bloomsburg. Those are my two requirements.

AppGuy04
September 20th, 2006, 07:30 AM
All I have to say is that JMU better win this game. I don't care what you change, just get the W. And play better than you did against Bloomsburg. Those are my two requirements.

yep, or the drop down the polls will continue

MplsBison
September 20th, 2006, 08:23 AM
I have no idea what kind of team JMU has, but NU's defense is pretty good.

JMU Duke Dog
September 22nd, 2006, 07:11 AM
Here was a related article about the game from today's Daily News-Record in Harrisonburg...

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6443&CHID=3

Ex-Dukes Return To Battle Madison
Northeastern’s coaching staff has plenty of familiar faces on it.

By Mike Barber

HARRISONBURG – Frank McArdle normally wears his championship ring on road trips. But when the second-year Northeastern assistant football coach travels to Harrisonburg with the Huskies today, he’ll leave it behind in Boston.

"It’s really weird," said McArdle, a backup linebacker and long snapper on James Madison’s 2004 NCAA Division I-AA championship team. "Going to Bridgeforth and wearing different colors, it’ll be the first time I’ve been back."

McArdle is one of three Northeastern assistant coaches making their return to JMU for Saturday evening’s Atlantic 10 opener for both schools.

(click here to continue... (http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6443&CHID=3))

OL FU
September 22nd, 2006, 07:14 AM
Here was a related article about the game from today's Daily News-Record in Harrisonburg...

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6443&CHID=3

Has Mathews stated anywhere that Northeastern would win the SoCon this year:confused: :confused: :confused:

JMU Duke Dog
September 22nd, 2006, 07:15 AM
Has Mathews stated anywhere that Northeastern would win the SoCon this year:confused: :confused: :confused:

I have not seen or heard of anything like that at all. What? :confused:

OL FU
September 22nd, 2006, 07:27 AM
I have not seen or heard of anything like that at all. What? :confused:

Sorry, another thread had quotes from Mathews talking about the SoCon not being what it used to be and how JMU should be playing a difficult OOC schedule.

I could not resist throwing it in.

JMUfan2008
September 22nd, 2006, 08:56 AM
bottom line: we pass on first down we win, we run every time on first down (again) we will struggle and could very easily lose. waaaay too predictable the first two games...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 22nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
NU's 4th game on the road in as many weeks vs. JMU coming off the "bye" week... 'nuff said. JMU wins.

It will be close due to the decent defense of their team, and the fact that we are hamstrung in our playcalling. Also, we will be missing Sr. WR DD Boxley and RB Alvin Banks. We have depth at WR and RB, so it shouldn't matter, but it doesn't help either.

We need to go to the air and make something happen early. NU has been a good first half team I think. We get a lead, game over. We get behind, it's bloomsburg all over again.

24+ hours till kickoff!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Cap'n Cat
September 22nd, 2006, 01:47 PM
NU 21
JMU 19

Bisonforlife
September 22nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
I like Northeastern in this game by 10.

Husky Alum
September 22nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
I've seen NU play live the last couple of weeks, and with all due respect to our NDSU posters here (and thanks to those posters who showed me some tremendous Bison hospitality last weekend), Northeastern's defense isn't that good.

I think once NDSU established itself, your coach showed tremendous deference to Rocky Hager and didn't take advantage of our obviously undersized defense.

If Murray doesn't play, we're in big trouble. Regardless, I say....

JMU 24
NU 10

DTSpider
September 22nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
I can tell you that there are a lot of interested parties down in Richmond. We get NU next weekend and JMU later in the year.

I saw the NU - HC game earlier in the year and based solely on that I think that JMU will win.

BisonBacker
September 22nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
I will agree with MPLSBison's comment about Northeasterns defense. They are tough.

BisonBacker
September 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
I've seen NU play live the last couple of weeks, and with all due respect to our NDSU posters here (and thanks to those posters who showed me some tremendous Bison hospitality last weekend), Northeastern's defense isn't that good.

I think once NDSU established itself, your coach showed tremendous deference to Rocky Hager and didn't take advantage of our obviously undersized defense.

If Murray doesn't play, we're in big trouble. Regardless, I say....

JMU 24
NU 10
I would agree you guys will definetly need Murray in the game. He's a bruiser thats for sure.

JMU Duke Dog
September 23rd, 2006, 08:23 AM
Here is an article about today's game from the Daily News-Record...

http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6459&CHID=3

JMU Tries To Get In Gear
It faces Northeastern in its Atlantic 10 football opener.

By Mike Barber

HARRISONBURG – After a lackluster win and uncompetitive loss, James Madison’s football team hopes it has worked its kinks out after two games and a bye week.

For all the frustration the first two games of the season have brought, the Dukes --1-1 and ranked No. 17 in Division I-AA -- can take a step toward silencing their critics by opening their Atlantic 10 schedule with a win over Northeastern (1-2) this evening at Bridgeforth Stadium.

"These are the games you point to, the conference games," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said after his team’s walk-through at Bridgeforth Stadium on Friday. "You need to win the first one."

(click here to continue... (http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6459&CHID=3))

JMU2004
September 23rd, 2006, 07:33 PM
NU 21
JMU 19

hmm Cap'n...... I thought former players would have better insight!!

just kidding around

Go JMU :hurray: :eek: :hurray: :bow: