PDA

View Full Version : Could this happen in the FCS (NDSU)

darell1976
September 4th, 2013, 06:00 PM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/272325/

When single-game tickets go on sale Friday morning for UND’s road series at Denver, the Pioneers will require that fans buy tickets to two other selected Pioneer games if they want to go to a UND-DU game. The website doesn’t currently list which other games will be part of the three-game pack, but it won’t be a second UND-DU game.
For fans who don’t want to purchase sets of three, there are two other options.
The first is getting them through the UND Alumni Association, which has a number of tickets for that series.
The other option is for fans would to get group tickets, which can be purchased by groups of 20 or more.
The new single-game ticket policy comes after several years of UND’s fan base — and its large alumni base in Colorado — virtually turning that series into a home game for UND.
Before last year’s series, Denver captain Paul Phillips explained the UND fan factor to U.S. College Hockey Online.
“As crazy as it sounds, even though it’s a home game for us, it’s kind of like a home game for them,” Phillips said. “They bring so many fans with them and their fans are so loud. It’s real important that we can’t let their fans get into the game. We have to throw the first punch.”

I know NDSU has a huge road game fan base so could other teams with big road fan bases see this in the FCS, if I recall didn't South Dakota do this where you had to purchase another game just to see your team play. What a cheap way to keep a home game, but it could backfire and attendance could drop.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 4th, 2013, 06:04 PM

I know NDSU has a huge road game fan base so could other teams with big road fan bases see this in the FCS, if I recall didn't South Dakota do this where you had to purchase another game just to see your team play. What a cheap way to keep a home game, but it could backfire and attendance could drop.

To get a ticket to the USD/NDSU game last year, you had to buy a ticket to Colgate. So it already did.

darell1976
September 4th, 2013, 06:09 PM
To get a ticket to the USD/NDSU game last year, you had to buy a ticket to Colgate. So it already did.

I think its bad if you can't get enough of your own fans to a home game you have to do what you can to shut out the visitors from coming to your stadium. NDSU does it the old fashion way...selling out their home games.

Professor Chaos
September 4th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Well to buy a ticket to the NDSU/SDSU game this year in Brookings you had to pay $15 (60%) more than even their beloved Hobo Day game for the privilege to sit on splintered wooden bleachers with 6 port-o-johns to share amongst 6,000 people. I guess making you buy seats to the Southeastern Louisiana game also is the next step.

darell1976
September 4th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Well to buy a ticket to the NDSU/SDSU game this year in Brookings you had to pay $15 (60%) more than even their beloved Hobo Day game for the privilege to sit on splintered wooden bleachers with 6 port-o-johns to share amongst 6,000 people. I guess making you buy seats to the Southeastern Louisiana game also is the next step.

I can see raising the price for certain games (UND does this) but to force people to buy tickets to games that your team is not in is BS!! So for this UND-DU hockey game you have to pay the price for the DU-UND game (say 12 bucks), then DU vs opponent 1 (say 10 bucks) then DU vs opponent 2 (another 10) that's over 30 bucks for ONE ticket plus you see Denver against 2 other teams that is not your team. Just wrong IMO.

RabidRabbit
September 4th, 2013, 07:21 PM

The Dakota Marker game this year should be a great game that SOLD OUT AUG 1! At SDSU that hasn't happened in FB before. But Jacks still didn't bundle the game. Would UND/NDSU or Montana/Montana St ever bundle games? Have to be at a lesser school that has a rival that will pack the place when your own fan base is too small. Minnesota will need to do that, IF they play the Bison again!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2013, 08:04 PM
It's already been posted but this has been happening for a while when the better FCS draws travel. I remember something like this for Montana in the past as well.

aces1180
September 4th, 2013, 08:18 PM
The Dakota Marker game this year should be a great game that SOLD OUT AUG 1! At SDSU that hasn't happened in FB before. But Jacks still didn't bundle the game. Would UND/NDSU or Montana/Montana St ever bundle games? Have to be at a lesser school that has a rival that will pack the place when your own fan base is too small. Minnesota will need to do that, IF they play the Bison again!

In '06, the Gophers required fans wanting to purchase tickets to the Iowa game to also purchase tickets to the Bison game...This worked out well for me, as Iowa fans sold the Bison tickets dirt cheap and I was able to pick up four in the second row on the 20-yard line on eBay (pre-Stubhub) for less than face value. Obviously, this option was not needed in 2007 and 2011. In fact, 2011 saw the price of the Bison game higher than teams like Miami-Ohio and New Mexico State.

Bisonoline
September 4th, 2013, 08:27 PM
MN bundled the game a few years back as well.

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2013, 08:31 PM

Not intended as smack, but when is UND going to tie buying football tickets to get same day hockey tickets?

darell1976
September 4th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Not intended as smack, but when is UND going to tie buying football tickets to get same day hockey tickets?

Not sure, but I can see them do that.

BisonTru
September 4th, 2013, 08:33 PM
In '06, the Gophers required fans wanting to purchase tickets to the Iowa game to also purchase tickets to the Bison game...This worked out well for me, as Iowa fans sold the Bison tickets dirt cheap and I was able to pick up four in the second row on the 20-yard line on eBay (pre-Stubhub) for less than face value. Obviously, this option was not needed in 2007 and 2011. In fact, 2011 saw the price of the Bison game higher than teams like Miami-Ohio and New Mexico State.

I remember that. An epic fail by the gophers. They would have sold out without the Iowa trick. I think we got tickets in the fifth row.

Thundar
September 4th, 2013, 10:21 PM
um.....the ncaa is doing this with the Championship game

UNDBIZ
September 5th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I can see raising the price for certain games (UND does this) but to force people to buy tickets to games that your team is not in is BS!! So for this UND-DU hockey game you have to pay the price for the DU-UND game (say 12 bucks), then DU vs opponent 1 (say 10 bucks) then DU vs opponent 2 (another 10) that's over 30 bucks for ONE ticket plus you see Denver against 2 other teams that is not your team. Just wrong IMO.

DU actually already increased the price of tickets for the UND series to around $40 per night. So adding the requirement to purchase tickets for other games to it is a little ridiculous. Their athletic department appears to be on a downward slope right now and I really hope they can recover soon.

89rabbit
September 5th, 2013, 07:33 AM

This year to get a SDSU @ USD ticket you also had to buy a Indiana State @ USD ticket.

AmsterBison
September 5th, 2013, 08:20 AM
It will never happen at schools where demand far outstrips supply. Schemes like that just guarantee empty seats at the linked game.

Here's a better scheme: Award seats on priority points. You get a point for every game you attend or something like that. Any other scheme to keep the other school's fans out can be defeated pretty easily.

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 5th, 2013, 10:49 AM
It's already been posted but this has been happening for a while when the better FCS draws travel. I remember something like this for Montana in the past as well.

EWU has attempted to make it difficult for Griz fans in the past with little success. As far as I know they haven't attempted this strategy before, and I hope they don't in the future.

deez_na
September 5th, 2013, 02:06 PM

I was just talking about this with a guy the other day how flipping stupid that is. Denver just doesn't want UND hockey fans outnumbering them. Stupid

GAD
September 5th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I think Nicholls State did this to Southern, they made our fans buy tickets there game the following week.

uofmman1122
September 5th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, EWU has done this the last two times we've had to play there, at least if you wanted to get tickets early.

I remember a few other Big Sky teams over the years forcing people to buy two tickets when the Griz came to town.