PDA

View Full Version : Top chances at FCS over FBS this week?

URMite
September 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Off the top of my head...

Georgia State
Akron
UMass(?)

are in that group, who else?

Maybe a top ten?

Yes, I know we did this before. xpeacex

BlueHenSinfonian
September 3rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
I'm picking Maine of UMass, JMU over Akron, and UNH over CMU (though that one's a bit more iffy).

Outside of the CAA - Chatty might take out GA State, we'll find out if TN Martin was just that good or if Chatty is just that bad. Cal Poly might have a chance against Fresno, and UC Davis may have an outside chance against Nevada.

For the most part otherwise it looks like the FBS bottom dwellers are playing FCS bottom dwellers, though I might have missed one.

I don't think Sam Houston has a chance in hell against Ass-to-Mouth, but I hope they make it a game.

dbackjon
September 3rd, 2013, 04:11 PM
Montana State over SMU

DJKyR0
September 3rd, 2013, 04:27 PM
Is there any way we can stop mentioning Georgia State on these kind of discussions and just assume they're going to lose a whole bunch of embarrassing games?

BEAR
September 3rd, 2013, 04:34 PM
UCA over Colorado.

Count on it.

URMite
September 3rd, 2013, 04:53 PM
Is there any way we can stop mentioning Georgia State on these kind of discussions and just assume they're going to lose a whole bunch of embarrassing games?

Even though I was the first one to do it. I agree that teams that weren't full FBS last season should be a different category for these threads.

URMite
September 3rd, 2013, 04:55 PM
And of course, I'm trying to see how impressive it would be if Richmond did pull off the upset at NCSU.

We are 3-0 vs the ACC in North Carolina since 2005 but NCSU is no Duke.

saxbison
September 3rd, 2013, 04:59 PM
UCA over Colorado.

Count on it.

I'm with you on this one. I watched the rocky mtn showdown and neither team is impressive. If UCA can stop the short pass, CUs qb tends to try to throw in very small windows on the deep ball, which could lead to some turnovers for the bears. Their running game is atrocious and their defense is mediocre at best. If the bears play a good game, they win.

Twentysix
September 3rd, 2013, 05:14 PM
UCA over Colorado.

Count on it.

Outside Georgia State, this ones probably pretty likely. CU is horrible.

ekufbfan
September 3rd, 2013, 05:33 PM
For the most part otherwise it looks like the FBS bottom dwellers are playing FCS bottom dwellers, though I might have missed one.

e.

Ok, I know most folks on here find it easy to over look anything EKU, but how about this. EKU plays the University of Louisville Saturday, currently ranked #8 in FBS. Although we may get very little respect , I would not call EKU a " bottom feeder". Certainly those who know football would not call the Cards that! EKU
has their work cut out for them. Wish we had the guys on the team that we had in 1985 when we beat them handily. Will be a tall task, watched UL play on Sunday and they are the real deal ( no bottom feeder for sure). And they have Heisman hopeful, Teddy Bridgewater.

dbackjon
September 3rd, 2013, 05:56 PM

No.

Ga State posters kept beating their chest about how much better they are than the FCS, and how they would dominate the SunBelt. Any chance to rub that in their face in welcome.

bojeta
September 3rd, 2013, 06:14 PM
I'm picking Maine of UMass, JMU over Akron, and UNH over CMU (though that one's a bit more iffy).

Outside of the CAA - Chatty might take out GA State, we'll find out if TN Martin was just that good or if Chatty is just that bad. Cal Poly might have a chance against Fresno, and UC Davis may have an outside chance against Nevada.

I don't think Sam Houston has a chance in hell against Ass-to-Mouth, but I hope they make it a game.

I'm certainly hoping for a Cal Poly win. My wife and I will be at the game Saturday. Fresno was a strong team last year, finishing 7-1 in the MWC, and 9-4 overall. They look better this year. Their QB threw for 456 yards, and 5 TDs in their 52-51 OT win against Rutgers last Thursday. They had two extra days to prepare for our option attack, and they're much bigger, and faster overall. Currently, the three major polls have Fresno ranked 29, 30, and 31 in FBS nationally. Definitely a tough task in spite of the NDSU, EWU, and UNI performances of last week. Still, I believe it's possible. Fresno State is our original rival dating back to the CCAA days. Ride High You Mustangs!!!

BlueHenSinfonian
September 3rd, 2013, 06:37 PM
Ok, I know most folks on here find it easy to over look anything EKU, but how about this. EKU plays the University of Louisville Saturday, currently ranked #8 in FBS. Although we may get very little respect , I would not call EKU a " bottom feeder". Certainly those who know football would not call the Cards that! EKU
has their work cut out for them. Wish we had the guys on the team that we had in 1985 when we beat them handily. Will be a tall task, watched UL play on Sunday and they are the real deal ( no bottom feeder for sure). And they have Heisman hopeful, Teddy Bridgewater.

No offense intended, I meant that typically the FCS over FBS wins happen when one of the better FCS teams faces off with one of the weaker FBS teams, and all of the weak FBS teams were playing low to mid-level FCS teams, other than the ones I mentioned.

Southern Bison
September 3rd, 2013, 06:43 PM
The 8 wins & half-dozen close games by the FCS so far have alerted all the other FBS coaches who have a FCS school on their schedule. IMO, I'd be pointing out OSU/EW, KSU/NDSU, ISU/UNI, etc. to my players and ask them if they want to be added to that list this weekend or this season. I don't believe we've seen the last of the credible FBS schools fall to an FCS program this year.

ekufbfan
September 3rd, 2013, 07:02 PM
No offense intended, I meant that typically the FCS over FBS wins happen when one of the better FCS teams faces off with one of the weaker FBS teams, and all of the weak FBS teams were playing low to mid-level FCS teams, other than the ones I mentioned.
Point taken. Just seems EKU gets looked over a lot, but then we need to get over the hump we have been in quite some time. Pretty good year and year out but nothing outstanding since our run in 1980's and 1990's.
Of all years to have a game at Louisville, this was certainly not the one. Just hope the outcome is not too awful and the pollsters don't lay a hurt on us. You never know what can happen in these games and when we played them 2 years ago I think they won by 10 or 12, can't remember. But the Cards look like something special this year.

dewey
September 3rd, 2013, 10:07 PM
UCA over Colorado.

Count on it.

Good luck to UCA this weekend in Boulder I will be cheering for you guys.

Dewey

DoubleE
September 3rd, 2013, 10:58 PM
If South Dakota beats Kansas the MVFC will be 3-0 vs the Big 12

katstrapper
September 3rd, 2013, 11:07 PM

Again this will be a huge mountain to climb. I was telling a buddy of mine just today that as many of these games that Sam Houston has played, you hope the odds would swing the Bearkats way just one time! I can only hope that they are looking too far ahead to Alabama next week and arent focused, but im sure Sumlin wont let that happen.
Aggies will be without 4 defensive starters for this game, plus another defensive starter out the first half for targeting..

Again, this is a huge task, but its why they play the game!

Mr. C
September 4th, 2013, 12:50 AM

First off, I'll admit that I am a Fresno State alum, but I don't see Cal Poly slowing down Derek Carr and the Bulldog passing game. I was at the last Cal Poly over Fresno State shocker. The Mustangs SHUT OUT Fresno State, 26-0, as a Division II school in San Luis Obispo in 1979. Of course that was a team that eventually won a national championship and beat the I-AA champion. Monte Coleman on defense, Louis Jackson running the ball and Robbie Martin catching passes and returning kicks. Great Mustang team.

Always expect the unexpected games when you are looking for FCS over FBS winners, unless someone like North Dakota State, New Hampshire, or Northern Iowa are playing.

Mr. C
September 4th, 2013, 12:58 AM

First off, I'll admit that I am a Fresno State alum, but I don't see Cal Poly slowing down Derek Carr and the Bulldog passing game. I was at the last Cal Poly over Fresno State shocker. The Mustangs SHUT OUT Fresno State, 26-0, as a Division II school in San Luis Obispo in 1979. Of course that was a team that eventually won a national championship and beat the I-AA champion. Monte Coleman on defense, Louis Jackson running the ball and Robbie Martin catching passes and returning kicks. Great Mustang team.

Always expect the unexpected games when you are looking for FCS over FBS winners, unless someone like North Dakota State, New Hampshire, or Northern Iowa are playing.

skinny_uncle
September 4th, 2013, 01:45 AM
I don't think UMass will beat anyone this year unless they squeak one out over Akron.

BisonTru
September 4th, 2013, 01:58 AM

Again this will be a huge mountain to climb. I was telling a buddy of mine just today that as many of these games that Sam Houston has played, you hope the odds would swing the Bearkats way just one time! I can only hope that they are looking too far ahead to Alabama next week and arent focused, but im sure Sumlin wont let that happen.
Aggies will be without 4 defensive starters for this game, plus another defensive starter out the first half for targeting..

Again, this is a huge task, but its why they play the game!

With all the Manziel hype you guys would be heros. Love to see u pull it off.

skinny_uncle
September 4th, 2013, 03:56 AM

Georgia State shouldn't be brought up again because they aren't going to beat anybody.
I expect JMU and Maine to both win this weekend.

skinny_uncle
September 4th, 2013, 04:07 AM
UCA over Colorado.

Count on it.

It could happen.

Nickels
September 4th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Money-badger better keep his head on a swivel

http://s9.postimg.org/qhndby83z/pu7.gif

Smitty
September 4th, 2013, 07:11 AM
WCU over VT

xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM
No.

Ga State posters kept beating their chest about how much better they are than the FCS, and how they would dominate the SunBelt. Any chance to rub that in their face in welcome.

You should see some of the stuff they have been posting on their board over the past few months. According to them they're going to get a lot better this year because they've been getting "FBS level recruits". Most of them were confident they'd run the table against the FCS teams on their schedule.

dbackjon
September 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM
You should see some of the stuff they have been posting on their board over the past few months. According to them they're going to get a lot better this year because they've been getting "FBS level recruits". Most of them were confident they'd run the table against the FCS teams on their schedule.

I can only imagine. I have never seen a more deluded fan base.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 4th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I am nervous about Saturday. JMU should beat Akron. But JMU "should" have beaten Duke and even UNC, albeit the recent games against those teams were their respective teams first season under new head coaches, which Akron also has. It makes watching tape a bit more tricky for the JMU coaches.

It sounded from the ESPN Recap on Arkon@UCF that the Zips had a very good pass rush accounting for 3 sacks, but the pressure was not consistent enough to stop UCF from getting big plays in the passing game to break things wide open 21-0 very quickly in the first half. The Zips ran a hurry-up offense and it back-fired big time. I am not sure whether JMU is ready for that yet or not. JMU's offense is definitely improved and RB Dae'quan Scott can light up the scoreboard (almost 200 all purpose yards last week) on offense and special teams.

For a defensive team, I oddly feel like JMU needs to get off to a fast start on offense to settle the defense (usually, the other way around). Player for player, the Dukes have the talent and depth this year to win this game easily, but as many posters have said, when it comes to FBS vs. FCS wins, expect the unexpected.

We almost need this win @ Akron considering how well Villanova and W&M looked in their close losses and Towson in its FBS win.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 4th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I would be disappointed if JMU didn't win this game. As FCS versus FBS games go, this is about as easy as it gets.

What's the point spread?

katstrapper
September 5th, 2013, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE=katstrapper;1998090]

I would love nothing more than to see 80,000+ Aggies crying in their beers Saturday night and Johnny Paycheck riding the pine.

Mattymc727
September 5th, 2013, 08:39 AM
After finding out that CMU's starting QB and RB are out with broken bones, i would actually be pretty disappointed if UNH didnt win this one. Michigan absolutely destroyed them 59-9 last Saturday. I realize UNH is no Michigan, but I think that point spread was a pretty telling tale of what kind of team CMU is.

MR. CHICKEN
September 5th, 2013, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=BisonTru;1998140]

I would love nothing more than to see 80,000+ Aggies crying in their beers Saturday night and Johnny Paycheck riding the pine.

GO OUT...AN' DO IT........PUT DUH NORFF DAKOTAH STATE/E. WASH....DISPUTE.....TA BED......AWK!

bonarae
September 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=BisonTru;1998140]

This!!!! xlolx

dgtw
September 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I'm actually pulling for Georgia State just to see chattown's reaction.

bojeta
September 5th, 2013, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=BisonTru;1998140]

After watching his behavior last week, and hearing all the commentary about how "there's nothing they can do to control him", I wish the Bearkats all the best, and share your hopes regarding Johnny (won't call him Jonny F------l ever again.)

Go Bearkats!!

WH49er
September 5th, 2013, 04:03 PM
JMU over Akron easy.

Southern Bison
September 5th, 2013, 06:27 PM

You'll have to wait until next August. Some of us believe it's already time for an AGS (Amber) Alert to be sent out.

Tribal
September 6th, 2013, 05:13 AM
No.

Starting to like you.

IaaScribe
September 6th, 2013, 08:04 AM
JMU is a three-point dog at Akron.

Georgia State is a 10 1/2-point dog at home to Chattanooga.

JMUNJ08
September 6th, 2013, 09:11 AM
JMU is a three-point dog at Akron.

Georgia State is a 10 1/2-point dog at home to Chattanooga.

Im taking the over in the GA St game.....

So basically home field though is giving Akron the spread which is pretty bad still for them. But the KEY to JMU winning/ keep it close is to go and put up some points early. We seem to get in a hole vs. FBS teams early and then can never recover.

JMU REALLY SHOULD win this one. But I'm not putting this in the W bucket until we actually appear to have shown up.

fmrbearkat
September 6th, 2013, 09:27 AM
O/u for Sam and the Fighting Hancocks is 69 which is an easy call. Sam -37 would be a good bet too.

bojeta
September 6th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Added challenge for Cal Poly at Fresno State..... Weather forecast is 97 degrees at kickoff with 17 % humidity. Very hot and dry. Oven-like temps while pushing O and D lines that average 40+ lbs heavier per player. I'll have to remind myself that while I'm suffering in the stands, it will be like a chilly December morning compared to what the players on the field are enduring.

Mr. C
September 7th, 2013, 12:38 AM
I don't think UMass will beat anyone this year unless they squeak one out over Akron.
UMass is getting the Karma it deserves after stupidly leaving the CAA and FCS for the decrepit MAC and secondly for the way it treated Kevin Morris as head coach. Hope the "Minute" Men go winless this season.

Mr. C
September 7th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Added challenge for Cal Poly at Fresno State..... Weather forecast is 97 degrees at kickoff with 17 % humidity. Very hot and dry. Oven-like temps while pushing O and D lines that average 40+ lbs heavier per player. I'll have to remind myself that while I'm suffering in the stands, it will be like a chilly December morning compared to what the players on the field are enduring.
That's why we play games at night until November. At least the humidity is a little lower when you get into September in the San Joaquin Valley. And it could be worst. I've sat through many triple-digit games at historic Ratcliffe Stadium (with its open-air press box) and Bulldog Stadium (at least that press box has air conditioning, if they decide to keep the windows closed and the walk to the elevators doesn't give you heat stroke first).

The Bulldog Stadium Field is actually sunk into the ground, which enhances that heat effect even more. It is quite a homefield advantage, even before you count in the crazy fans.

Mr. C
September 7th, 2013, 12:44 AM
A lot of people on AGS would agree with you.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 7th, 2013, 01:53 AM
UMass is getting the Karma it deserves after stupidly leaving the CAA and FCS for the decrepit MAC and secondly for the way it treated Kevin Morris as head coach. Hope the "Minute" Men go winless this season.

Of the programs moving up UMass was one of the ones that made the most sense. It's a big school, and the main state university in a populous state. However, they really needed a better plan in place to do it. Playing their home games almost 100 miles away from the campus is really boneheaded.

I know that they're renovating McGuirk, which was a nice stadium at the FCS level anyway, but I can't see any mention of capacity expansion in the plans. Right now it supposedly seats 17,000, which would put them just over the unenforced FBS minimum of 15,000 per game, so we'll see. Attendance hasn't been great at Gillette, but I'm sure they could draw more at an on campus facility. Of course, winning some games would help.

In an ideal world I'd love to see Delaware playing in the same conference as UMass again. Our AD has said the official stance is wait and see where things shake out with the continuing realignment moves, but those seem to be slowing down. I think a good goal to shoot for, and one that's achievable, would be to see both Delaware and UMass in the American at some point. It would be a mini A-10 reunion with Delaware, UMass, and UConn, and we'd have the additional benefit of being able to revive our old rivalry with Temple, plus continue the series with Navy on equal footing.

umassfan
September 7th, 2013, 02:14 AM

Man I am glad I don't have to read your garbage anymore. The way we treated Kevin Morris? Heck the guy should never have been hired after Don Brown in the first place. Every UMass fan couldnt wait for him to be gone. He would have been let go with or without the move up. Stick to things you know(which isnt much) and stay out everything else. UMass had a great recruiting year and would not be shocked if we win more then 1 game this season. I expect 3 myself which is a build from last season. The step up has never been quick for any program lately. Go back to being an App st and SOCON homer!

katstrapper
September 7th, 2013, 11:23 AM
O/u for Sam and the Fighting Hancocks is 69 which is an easy call. Sam -37 would be a good bet too.

I thought I read somewhere the opening line on this game was like -45 ?

The national media is already looking past this game and pumping up the Alabama game next week. ESPN College Game Day really got my blood boiling this morning with them referring to this game as just a scrimmage to get ready for next week. Johnny Paycheck and the rest of the Ags better not go into this game with the same mentality.

Southern Bison
September 7th, 2013, 12:14 PM

The national media is already looking past this game and pumping up the Alabama game next week. ESPN College Game Day really got my blood boiling this morning with them referring to this game as just a scrimmage to get ready for next week. Johnny Paycheck and the rest of the Ags better not go into this game with the same mentality.

Kat, Kirk Herbstreit said the same thing about the SHSU @ TX A&M game last week too. After watching the FCS inflict pain upon most of the FBS conferences, their pretentiousness is insulting. EAT 'EM UP KATS!

fmrbearkat
September 7th, 2013, 02:00 PM

It did open at 46 but has slid to -34.5 today.

Hammerhead
September 7th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Indiana State held in there with Perdue and had had a very slim chance to tie the game in the last minute after getting the ball back, but their 1st play was an interception.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 7th, 2013, 03:08 PM
UNH up 13-0 and dominating to this point over Central Michigan. Late 2nd quarter