PDA

View Full Version : Kennesaw St to the Big South?

knucklehead
September 3rd, 2013, 02:18 PM
Looks that way:

http://www.libertyflamesnation.com/kennesaw-state-joining-big-south-for-football/

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/kennesaw-state-joining-big-south-for-football/nZkfN/), Kennesaw State has accepted an invitation to join the Big South Conference. This seems to fit with Kennesaw State set to “make a major announcement regarding football” (http://www.ksuowls.com/news/2013/9/3/fb_0903133520.aspx) at a press conference at 10AM on Wednesday.

kdinva
September 3rd, 2013, 02:39 PM
That'll mean at least two plane rides for someone each season (Monmouth to Kenn. St. and vice-versa, Monmouth to Chuck South and vice versa). Monmouth to CCU borderline plane trip, as is Monmouth to Presby.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2013, 02:42 PM
Could Liberty, Coastal, and KSU be the nucleus the Big South needs to overtake the SoCon for football?
xpopcornx

Sly Fox
September 3rd, 2013, 02:50 PM
I see you working, FCS_pwns_FBS. A better questions could be whether App State, GSU & Liberty can overtake the lower rungs of FBS.

In all seriousness, the two leagues don't look near as far apart today as they did on September 3, 2012.

rokamortis
September 3rd, 2013, 04:13 PM
Good stuff. I hope they plan to be a long-term member. I would prefer the conference take on some better full-time members ... oh well.

Losing VMI, GWU and CSU seemingly recommitting to football, and KSU would be a decent conference and should give the SoCon a run for their money.

rokamortis
September 3rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
That'll mean at least two plane rides for someone each season (Monmouth to Kenn. St. and vice-versa, Monmouth to Chuck South and vice versa). Monmouth to CCU borderline plane trip, as is Monmouth to Presby.

I think Monmouth is only a 2 year deal, I don't think they plan to stay long. So it may mean a couple of plane trips for a season (or a few if they don't find a new home) but there are worst things - we did it with Stony Brook.

hebmskebm
September 3rd, 2013, 04:20 PM
Any chance Campbell begins offering scholarships? Moving all sports besides football back to the BS in 2011 might portend making such a move. And with the facilities they're building Jacksonville would also seem like a logical fit. The Big South would do well to stockpile as many football programs as they can right now knowing the long term intentions of some of their current members.

Is the KSU move an all sports move or football only?

Laker
September 3rd, 2013, 04:49 PM

From the AJC article:

Kennesaw State (http://www.ajc.com/s/sports/ksu-owls/) will remain in the Atlantic Sun, which doesn’t offer football, for other sports.

zilla
September 3rd, 2013, 04:49 PM
Any chance Campbell begins offering scholarships? Moving all sports besides football back to the BS in 2011 might portend making such a move. And with the facilities they're building Jacksonville would also seem like a logical fit. The Big South would do well to stockpile as many football programs as they can right now knowing the long term intentions of some of their current members.

Football only

Laker
September 3rd, 2013, 04:50 PM
I think Monmouth is only a 2 year deal, I don't think they plan to stay long. So it may mean a couple of plane trips for a season (or a few if they don't find a new home) but there are worst things - we did it with Stony Brook.

IYO, where you do think that Monmouth will end up?

dbackjon
September 3rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
Logical move.

Sly Fox
September 3rd, 2013, 05:33 PM
IYO, where you do think that Monmouth will end up?

I think they are dreaming on the CAA. But they will likely hang in the Big South like Stony Brook until an opportunity opens up.

And I agree with the poster above that Jacksonville is the obvious next addition as soon as they decide to go scholarship.

rokamortis
September 3rd, 2013, 06:49 PM
I think they are dreaming on the CAA. But they will likely hang in the Big South like Stony Brook until an opportunity opens up.

I was going to say the same thing - they want the CAA, like many of us, but may not get it. I think if they can mend some fences that there is a chance that they can join the NEC as an associate member (yes I know they were turned down last year).

hebmskebm
September 3rd, 2013, 07:10 PM
I was going to say the same thing - they want the CAA, like many of us, but may not get it. I think if they can mend some fences that there is a chance that they can join the NEC as an associate member (yes I know they were turned down last year).

Not saying this would be impossible, far from it, but part of the move to the Big South included Monmouth going to counter-level scholarships. They've talked about wanting to schedule FBS schools in the near future and the like. That issue would have to be addressed before any reconciliation with the NEC.

rokamortis
September 3rd, 2013, 07:32 PM

I was wrong about 2 years, it is a 4 year contract.

Model Citizen
September 3rd, 2013, 07:54 PM
Any chance Campbell begins offering scholarships?

Yes. Maybe a few years down the road.

Meanwhile, the Jacksonville Dolphins are probably the next PFL team to get scholarships. Over/under is 2016. I think they want to go SoCon for all sports. Could it happen?

rokamortis
September 4th, 2013, 07:55 AM

Meanwhile, the Jacksonville Dolphins are probably the next PFL team to get scholarships. Over/under is 2016. I think they want to go SoCon for all sports. Could it happen?

I think it could, but travel would likely be a concern. It will be interesting to see if the CAA takes any additional members from the SoCon in the next year and what that means to the southern FCS conferences.

knucklehead
September 4th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Yea, the Big South better start looking for several more with VMI leaving, Monmouth likely being a stop-gap, Liberty trying to go FBS, and rumors of Coastal looking to jump to SoCon. The one thing they may have going for them is if Winthrop follows through and adds Football. Any others brewing out there? Maybe Jax to Big South? Has anyone actually heard Campbell might add scholies? I heard it was not likely.

aceinthehole
September 4th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Not saying this would be impossible, far from it, but part of the move to the Big South included Monmouth going to counter-level scholarships. They've talked about wanting to schedule FBS schools in the near future and the like. That issue would have to be addressed before any reconciliation with the NEC.

Agreed. The NEC would first have to allow 60+ schollys for this to work for Monmouth.

But don't think there isn't a lot of bad blood between the remaining NEC schools and MU. I think it would take a lot of things to happen (including the passage of some time) for the NEC to allow Monmouth back as a football-associate member. Right now, I think they much rather bring on Georgetown and/or Marist.

walliver
September 4th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Is KSU committed to FCS football, or is FCS just a starting point? This was one of the issues raised when he SoCon was looking to replenish last spring.

knucklehead
September 4th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Official:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4621890

Charlotte, NC (Sports Network) - Kennesaw State has joined the Big South Conference as an associate member in football for the team's inaugural season in 2015.
Kennesaw State, located in Kennesaw, Ga., will be eligible for the Big South championship and the conference's automatic bid to the FCS playoffs upon entry. The new program will give the Big South seven football-playing members.

kdinva
September 4th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I expect Kennesaw will play a "start-up" schedule in 2015, a full blown 1-AA/Big South Schedule in 2016.......similar to ETSU in the SoCon........

bluehenbillk
September 4th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Does Lowe's sell Kennesaws? Never heard of them. If the SoCon in its condition ain't taking teams god help 1-AA.

eaglemachine
September 4th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Does Lowe's sell Kennesaws? Never heard of them. If the SoCon in its condition ain't taking teams god help 1-AA.

Kennesaw State is actually a pretty large school- 26K+ students. Third largest in GA and second largest business school behind Georgia State. Vince Dooley helped lead the study on football. Coach is a former Paul Johnson Assistant from Tech. Probably going to be running some form of option and have stated they want to model their program after Georgia Southern and ODU.

Mr. C
September 5th, 2013, 12:06 AM

I asked Kyle Kallander about that at the Big South media day and he said he thinks Campbell is committed to playing non-scholarship football in the Pioneer Football League.

We were given the news about Kennesaw State on Tuesday, but were asked to embargo the news release until today. Good pick-up for the Big South.

Mr. C
September 5th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Yea, the Big South better start looking for several more with VMI leaving, Monmouth likely being a stop-gap, Liberty trying to go FBS, and rumors of Coastal looking to jump to SoCon. The one thing they may have going for them is if Winthrop follows through and adds Football. Any others brewing out there? Maybe Jax to Big South? Has anyone actually heard Campbell might add scholies? I heard it was not likely.
Coastal Carolina will not go to the SoCon anytime soon for a variety of reasons we've touched on before. CCU doesn't have enough support to be admitted to the SoCon.

Mr. C
September 5th, 2013, 12:10 AM

In talking to Kerwin Bell last week, it didn't sound like scholarships were in Jacksonville's future any time soon.

Model Citizen
September 5th, 2013, 08:51 AM
In talking to Kerwin Bell last week, it didn't sound like scholarships were in Jacksonville's future any time soon.

I'm not going to debate this, but it doesn't sound like you asked him straight up, 'is JU fundraising for scholarship football.' You would've gotten an evasive answer or no comment.

knucklehead
September 5th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Coastal Carolina will not go to the SoCon anytime soon for a variety of reasons we've touched on before. CCU doesn't have enough support to be admitted to the SoCon.

I must have missed this discussion before. Why no support?

rokamortis
September 5th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I must have missed this discussion before. Why no support?

Really? There may be more but take your pick:

Academics not up to snuff (although Coastal is very similar to at least one current and one incoming member)

Does not spread geography, too close to Citadel, Furman, and Wofford

In-state schools do not want Coastal dominating all of the sports

SoCon schools think Coastal wants FBS

Rumors from 2004 that a recruiter was telling recruits that Jerry Moore was going to retire or be fired, we all know it didn't happen and then they won 3 national titles. There appears to have been some discussion in Boone and that this was a possibility but was bad form on the part of the recruiter. This supposedly upset many of the SoCon coaches and administration.

OL FU
September 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Really? There may be more but take your pick:

Academics not up to snuff (although Coastal is very similar to at least one current and one incoming member)

Does not spread geography, too close to Citadel, Furman, and Wofford

In-state schools do not want Coastal dominating all of the sports

SoCon schools think Coastal wants FBS

Rumors from 2004 that a recruiter was telling recruits that Jerry Moore was going to retire or be fired, we all know it didn't happen and then they won 3 national titles. There appears to have been some discussion in Boone and that this was a possibility but was bad form on the part of the recruiter. This supposedly upset many of the SoCon coaches and administration.

Hey Rok, take it easy on us this weekend:(

rokamortis
September 5th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Hey Rok, take it easy on us this weekend:(

Oh come on now - we know you guys are going to come out ready to win.

OL FU
September 5th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Oh come on now - we know you guys are going to come out ready to win.

So do your best to help and take it easy on us:)

rokamortis
September 5th, 2013, 11:40 AM
So do your best to help and take it easy on us:)

I'm hoping you guys take it easy on us.

Sly Fox
September 6th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Yeah, somebody in this thread has been more than willing to air out rumors about CCU in the past. But I think Rok steals his thunder by declaring them early. Well played.

Frankly, I can't think of many reasons why the Chants would be dying to get into the SoCon these days. The league is already a shell of what it was just a year or so ago.

As for Kennesaw State, I would not at all be surprised to see them make some noise rather quickly once they field a squad. They are a school with some very nice upside.

OrangeAndBlack
September 6th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Yeah, somebody in this thread has been more than willing to air out rumors about CCU in the past. But I think Rok steals his thunder by declaring them early. Well played.

Frankly, I can't think of many reasons why the Chants would be dying to get into the SoCon these days. The league is already a shell of what it was just a year or so ago.

As for Kennesaw State, I would not at all be surprised to see them make some noise rather quickly once they field a squad. They are a school with some very nice upside.

I'd say Coastal wants in the SoCon because of stability. I wanted Mercer in the SoCon because of 0 associate members. I want to play basketball, baseball, etc against all the football schools too. Year round rivalries.

Also, as an Atlantic Sun fan we all heard the "watch out for Kennesaw, they will be running this league really soon" when they arrived in basketball. We heard all the reasons why (huge enrollment, proximity to Atlanta, etc), and we're STILL waiting on them to have a winning season nearly a decade later.

chargeradio
September 7th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Is KSU committed to FCS football, or is FCS just a starting point? This was one of the issues raised when he SoCon was looking to replenish last spring.

Other than a comment an administrator made a few years ago about eventually joining the Big East, there hasn't been any noise about FBS coming out of Kennesaw.

More importantly, there won't be any room in the Sun Belt for them unless if Georgia State or Georgia Southern leave.

Sly Fox
September 7th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Coastal already has stability in the Big South. But I suspect they are like us at Liberty with much grander ambitions than playing a bunch of small private schools.

OL FU
September 7th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Coastal already has stability in the Big South. But I suspect they are like us at Liberty with much grander ambitions than playing a bunch of small private schools.

It is amazing what a couple of bad games for SoCon teams does to the confidence level of fans of an on-line universityxblehx

OL FU
September 7th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I'd say Coastal wants in the SoCon because of stability. I wanted Mercer in the SoCon because of 0 associate members. I want to play basketball, baseball, etc against all the football schools too. Year round rivalries.

Also, as an Atlantic Sun fan we all heard the "watch out for Kennesaw, they will be running this league really soon" when they arrived in basketball. We heard all the reasons why (huge enrollment, proximity to Atlanta, etc), and we're STILL waiting on them to have a winning season nearly a decade later.

BTW, Welcome to the SoCon.

I think we all know and most CCU fans would tell you CCU would have driven at light speed to get in the SoCon if invited. That interest may have diminished some with GSU and ASU leaving, but prior to that there is no doubt they would have jumped. I am one of the rarities in SoCon fans as I would have loved for CCU to have become a member. Good all around athletic teams and I think it would have benefited all of us. But, they didn't ask me.

Of the three joiners, I think Mercer is the one that may stand out. Good Baseball and basketball and apparently a strong commitment to football. I am a little leary of the day that Bobby Lamb may get a little retribution though.:(:o

rokamortis
September 9th, 2013, 03:59 AM

I don't think Big South Football is very stable. The conference overall is ok, but the SoCon and CAA are much more stable all around. The Big South is doing what it can to stabilize but with the only other decent (historically) football school looking to go FBS and only adding associate members, the Big South just doesn't have a strong foundation. It looks like it is getting better, but it isn't as strong as other conferences.

I don't know this for a fact, but I think a major reason why Coastal is looking is that the Big South has some teams committed to athletics (Liberty, Coastal, Winthrop) and others that aren't (UNC Asheville, Presbyterian) - it is hard to build a strong conference with such disparity in the commitment and resources each school wants to provide.

knucklehead
September 9th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Agree. It's good news that Winthrop is looking into Football. But, that still leaves Liberty, Coastal, and just now Winthrop as the schools with resources and drive to push the BSC forward. Radford, Presby, Asheville, etc. will forever have athletics as a second thought. This is why both Liberty and Coastal are trying to leave.

OrangeAndBlack
September 9th, 2013, 08:09 AM
BTW, Welcome to the SoCon.

I think we all know and most CCU fans would tell you CCU would have driven at light speed to get in the SoCon if invited. That interest may have diminished some with GSU and ASU leaving, but prior to that there is no doubt they would have jumped. I am one of the rarities in SoCon fans as I would have loved for CCU to have become a member. Good all around athletic teams and I think it would have benefited all of us. But, they didn't ask me.

Of the three joiners, I think Mercer is the one that may stand out. Good Baseball and basketball and apparently a strong commitment to football. I am a little leary of the day that Bobby Lamb may get a little retribution though.:(:o

Thanks for the welcome. It's always going to be a fun game when Mercer and Furman line up!

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Rok - I was referring to stability in regard to the terms posted earlier in thread of having all sports in one league. Yeah, there is no denying the dichotomy that exists in the Big South. But there is also no denying how far the SoCon has fallen with the exit of ASU & GSU and the general mediocrity everywhere else the past couple of years. And even the CAA doesn't have tremendous firm ground as evidenced by the desperate discussions this past spring with JMU & Delaware in tenuous positions.

OL FU - Bring on the online smack. You should see what LUO has done for our campus. We're not complaining.

rokamortis
September 9th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Rok - I was referring to stability in regard to the terms posted earlier in thread of having all sports in one league. Yeah, there is no denying the dichotomy that exists in the Big South. But there is also no denying how far the SoCon has fallen with the exit of ASU & GSU and the general mediocrity everywhere else the past couple of years. And even the CAA doesn't have tremendous firm ground as evidenced by the desperate discussions this past spring with JMU & Delaware in tenuous positions.

OL FU - Bring on the online smack. You should see what LUO has done for our campus. We're not complaining.

You are correct, most of the FCS conferences we are interested in aren't completely solid - but they are more solid than the Big South. Just from a football standpoint, we are dangling close to the autobid minimum and know that Liberty wants out and pretty much any of the other schools would jump to the SoCon in a heartbeat. We are lucky to have some associate members coming in, but unless they sign longterm contracts I'm sure they will jump sooner than later. The success so far this season is great for the BSC and will hopefully make the conference gain respect so teams won't want to leave.

OL FU
September 9th, 2013, 09:37 AM

Just a friendly little jokexnodx

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Likewise!

OL FU
September 9th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Likewise!

PS, the way it is going so far ASU leaving may improve our power ratings:D

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Then Furman exiting to the Big South might really bump up the SoCon power rankings. xlolx

OL FU
September 9th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Then Furman exiting to the Big South might really bump up the SoCon power rankings. xlolx

That's not gonna happen until you pick up Lacrossexsmugx