PDA

View Full Version : NDSU, EWU, UNI, etc... have the FBS fans cautious on their forums

bojeta
September 2nd, 2013, 11:36 PM
Poked around on a few forums today, and the talk is very subdued following the upsets, and drubbings handed to FBS teams by FCS teams this past weekend. The Fresno State forum is just one example where the normally arrogant remarks have been greatly tempered. http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=164&f=1686

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2013, 11:47 PM
Dude, NIU, seriously?

clenz
September 2nd, 2013, 11:49 PM
We're used to it at this point....

The MVC sports forum had to put an auto correct in to make almost every variation of NIU turn into UNI because of people purposely doing it wrong.

bojeta
September 2nd, 2013, 11:51 PM
Dude, NIU, seriously?

Sorry, by NIU, I was referring to Northern Iowa (UNI). End of a long Labor Day weekend of football, and debauchery ;). If that doesn't work for you, substitute McNeese.. I don't care, just talking about FCS over FBS in general this past weekend.

clenz
September 2nd, 2013, 11:52 PM
NIU is in Illinois...not Iowa

clenz
September 2nd, 2013, 11:54 PM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/wcfcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/89/7893423c-12ba-11e3-94b0-001a4bcf887a/5222baf81d5b4.preview-620.jpg
http://gamedayr.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/new-niu-huskies-adidas-uniforms-orange-bowl-copy-570x522.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5wPqDqUF3Gnxfic6huUOkkZKDbWRWP lNJXj8WSYsI31D0D0R3
http://www2.ivcc.edu/hpc/2886.gif

bojeta
September 3rd, 2013, 12:00 AM
Yep, that's actually what caused the brain fart. We played NIU in 2011, and it subliminally came out :?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 3rd, 2013, 12:02 AM
Sorry, by NIU, I was referring to Northern Iowa (UNI). End of a long Labor Day weekend of football, and debauchery ;). If that doesn't work for you, substitute McNeese.. I don't care, just talking about FCS over FBS in general this past weekend.

Yeah just hackin' on ya for dissin' an FCS brother.xthumbsupx

bojeta
September 3rd, 2013, 12:08 AM
Yeah just hackin' on ya for dissin' an FCS brother.xthumbsupx

No problem. I knew I had to take the heat for that blunder :( . I show 33 FCS vs FBS for the coming weekend. Wonder how many we can put in the W column this time around. This year, more than in the past, there seems to be a seriousness that has arisen surrounding the "money games". No one wants to be the next news story, ridiculed on ESPN for paying to lose ;)

dudeitsaid
September 3rd, 2013, 01:02 AM
In short DO NOT PLAY THE TOP FCS SCHOOLS. THERE ARE 124 schools to pick from why pick the "elite" schools. If you wanna a 1 for 0 game play the middle to bottom of the fcs OR play the bottom of the fbs. YES it is hard for MW schools to buy the bottom of the fbs (the BCS schools have more money to offer them) BUT at the very least we should avoid the top fcs school and play the middle/bottom instead. IF you want a real game just schedule it vs an fbs school to avoid the embarrassment of losing to a fcs team.

Love this statement from the blog xlolx

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2013, 01:17 AM

now your confusing us :D

BluBengal07
September 3rd, 2013, 08:01 AM
In short DO NOT PLAY THE TOP FCS SCHOOLS. THERE ARE 124 schools to pick from why pick the "elite" schools. If you wanna a 1 for 0 game play the middle to bottom of the fcs OR play the bottom of the fbs. YES it is hard for MW schools to buy the bottom of the fbs (the BCS schools have more money to offer them) BUT at the very least we should avoid the top fcs school and play the middle/bottom instead. IF you want a real game just schedule it vs an fbs school to avoid the embarrassment of losing to a fcs team.

Love this statement from the blog xlolx

great find of a FBS fan quote!
----------

with this kind of start to the season for FCS, is FCS' name on board as creditable football to the masses? proving that some the elites of FCS is as good as the mid-rankings of FBS?

GAD
September 3rd, 2013, 08:10 AM
This will make it much tougher for the top FCS teams to get FBS paydays

bojeta
September 3rd, 2013, 02:22 PM
This will make it much tougher for the top FCS teams to get FBS paydays

However, this year's performance, and the attention FCS is getting, should make it more difficult for conferences such as the Big 12 to argue against scheduling FCS teams (at least the better ones). I wonder if we might see the Big 12 put something in their bylaws that states FCS teams scheduled for OOC must come from certain conferences: MVFC, Big Sky, CAA etc...

bobcathpdevil56
September 3rd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Don't go to SMU's forum then. They sound like they are trapped in 1986 still waiting for that AP national title.

JK but a bit arrogant.

http://ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67270&start=15

Screamin_Eagle174
September 3rd, 2013, 02:46 PM
Toledo fans were joking, asking if it was too late to buy us out. :D

McNeese75
September 3rd, 2013, 09:57 PM
The USF fans are settling down but some funny stuff coming out of their forums

http://thebullspen.com/index.php/topic/92818-which-gif-sums-up-the-mcdonalds-state-game-best/ The dog had me LOL

http://thebullspen.com/index.php/topic/92719-fireworks/ There was a fireworks show outside Ray Jay stadium following the game. One USF fan to a McNeese fan on leaving he stadium " Hey, turn around and watch the fireworks, you earned them"

NIU007
September 4th, 2013, 03:10 PM

great find of a FBS fan quote!
----------

with this kind of start to the season for FCS, is FCS' name on board as creditable football to the masses? proving that some the elites of FCS is as good as the mid-rankings of FBS?

I don't like that logic, perhaps because the power schools use that against us too. Why schedule us when they get more credit for beating a crummy BCS/P5 school?

People that know what they're talking about realize that top FCS schools are tough. They should be given credit for that, and perception needs to at least somewhat approach reality. I'd like to play NDSU, could be a good game. And they travel well from what I hear. If we lose it's better than losing to Indiana. But try and get the casual fan to believe that.

Thundar
September 4th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Toledo fans were joking, asking if it was too late to buy us out. :D

no smack but if you lose to Toledo now it will look bad
bad but in a way kind of neat cause you should be the favorite

Screamin_Eagle174
September 4th, 2013, 10:36 PM
no smack but if you lose to Toledo now it will look bad
bad but in a way kind of neat cause you should be the favorite

Not quite. Toledo is 67th in the Sagarin, EWU is 80th. Still on their turf and a long ways to travel. Then again, the flight will be a lot easier than a 9 hour bus ride like we had to OSU. They also return most all their starters from a team that finished 2nd in the MAC West. It will probably be another high scoring affair.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2013, 11:08 PM
I don't like that logic, perhaps because the power schools use that against us too. Why schedule us when they get more credit for beating a crummy BCS/P5 school?

People that know what they're talking about realize that top FCS schools are tough. They should be given credit for that, and perception needs to at least somewhat approach reality. I'd like to play NDSU, could be a good game. And they travel well from what I hear. If we lose it's better than losing to Indiana. But try and get the casual fan to believe that.

Your last line exactly reflects why I always chuckle at those that care about the casual fan as if they mean something. I don't think the respect of idiots is anything to strive for or care about.

Good post btw.

saxbison
September 4th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Not quite. Toledo is 67th in the Sagarin, EWU is 80th. Still on their turf and a long ways to travel. Then again, the flight will be a lot easier than a 9 hour bus ride like we had to OSU. They also return most all their starters from a team that finished 2nd in the MAC West. It will probably be another high scoring affair.

The O/U on this game should be somewhere in the 130 range.