PDA

View Full Version : Gateway to change name to MVC?

BearsCountry
September 18th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Heard this on letsgobears.com, any of the other schools heard anything about this?

Cap'n Cat
September 18th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Heard this on letsgobears.com, any of the other schools heard anything about this?

Idle talk. If it happens, I say "aye". The name, "Gateway", blows. On the other hand, as many teams are as near to the St. Louis arch as they are to the Missouri River valley.

How about the Corn Conference?

FlyYtown
September 18th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Are people just saying this because of the website???
I have talked with a lot of people, including AD Strollo, never has he mentioned something like this.

JaxSinfonian
September 18th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Even better, Cap'n, how about the Corn Belt Conference?

ISUMatt
September 18th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I like the Flatland Conference

skinny_uncle
September 18th, 2006, 09:04 PM
There was some talk about it on Valleytalk, but mostly idle chatter mostly from some Wichita State fans that are pushing for them to reinstate football. I don't see anything developing along these lines in the near future. It was mainly speculation full of what ifs. It included both WSU reviving their program and Drake going to a schollie program. The Valley did have football until 1984.

FargoBison
September 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Idle talk. If it happens, I say "aye". The name, "Gateway", blows. On the other hand, as many teams are as near to the St. Louis arch as they are to the Missouri River valley.

Bring in NDSU and SDSU then Missouri Valley Conference will sound alright.

skinny_uncle
September 18th, 2006, 09:17 PM

The Salukis did win the Corn Bowl in 1930.

igo4uni
September 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
It would be nice to have the MVC basketball teams aligned with the football teams. But Wichita State and Creighton would have to revive football and Drake would have to upgrade. :twocents:

FlyYtown
September 18th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Well if this did happen, don't expect YSU to join the other sports portion...

We found a great home in the Horizon League and have developed rivalries with Cleveland State, Wright State and many more regional opponents...

igo4uni
September 18th, 2006, 10:19 PM

Who says that YSU is invited??

douglasdmb
September 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Aww SNAP!:rotateh:

FlyYtown
September 18th, 2006, 10:28 PM
You guys always give me a good laugh... xlolx

galojay
September 18th, 2006, 10:53 PM

We found a great home in the Horizon League and have developed rivalries with Cleveland State, Wright State and many more regional opponents...

YSU would be a fool to pass on a MVC invite.

Killtoppers90
September 19th, 2006, 08:13 AM
YSU would be a fool to pass on a MVC invite.
Come on Jay, You know the YSU folks are sitting by the phone waiting for CUSA or MAC to call them!
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

nmatsen
September 19th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I don't know about football but right now I don't think there is one school in the Gateway that wouldn't jump to get on the MVC bandwagon right now. MVC basketball is without a doubt the hottest mid-major out there. If YSU or WKU passed up the opportunity I would be shocked. I am a little surprised that WKU has not tried to excercise this option for basketball, although the Sun Belt was a one time probably the most outstanding mid major basketball conference. Its not anymore.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2006, 09:24 AM
You guys always give me a good laugh... xlolx

I'm not sure it was a joke. If it did go to the Valley and we had enough MVC teams, it would most likely not include YSU. While YSU's football would be an asset, basketball would not be.

galojay
September 19th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I don't know about football but right now I don't think there is one school in the Gateway that wouldn't jump to get on the MVC bandwagon right now. MVC basketball is without a doubt the hottest mid-major out there. If YSU or WKU passed up the opportunity I would be shocked. I am a little surprised that WKU has not tried to excercise this option for basketball, although the Sun Belt was a one time probably the most outstanding mid major basketball conference. Its not anymore.

It is not a matter of WKU exercising the option.... WKU has to be invited. The MVC is not expanding.

P2TheB
September 19th, 2006, 10:14 AM

nmatsen-

I'm with you. I would have loved to see WKU join the Valley. The MVC just hasn't extended that offer to them. The only way I could have seen WKU joining the MVC (and I say that with the confidence that WKU is jumping to 1-A and the Sun Belt for all sports) is if St. Louis U would have accepted an offer to join the MVC. It's no secret that Doug Elgin (the MVC commish) wants SLU to join the MVC. If they would have gotten an acceptance by SLU, they would have probably gone after WKU.

Any school that gets an offer from the MVC has to take a strong hard look at it. The only issue is now, will an 11th or 12 team in the MVC add another NCAA basketball tourney bid to a conference that last year had 4 (and probably should have had 5). I wish I had some knowledge on how much the MVC looked into WKU and vice versa.

Killsback
September 19th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Youngstown would not get an invite to the Valley for other sports if football was inherited back. The Valley has Soccer with other non MVC schools as part of the Conference and those schools are not a part of the overall MVC. YSU is great for football, but is not anywhere near the Valley in hoops and they are not going to tarnish the image of basketball right now. If the Valley expands it would have to have a public and a private to make everyone happy.

It would be a great move for football because of the television possibilities. Right now the Gateway package blows with games that are tape delayed. The Valley could have more power to package football with basketball and get a better overall package.

NDSU_grad
September 19th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I like the Flatland Conference
If you call it the Flatland Conference you have to invite NDSU.

Majestic Fargo, ND.
http://www.ndsu.edu/fargo_geology/flood_photos/airview_downtown1_14-iv-2001.jpg

birdsflyhigh
September 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Killsback, I think you've made an excellent point about the increased television marketability of the MVC if it offered high level b-ball AND football. Would be fantastic if the powers that be in the Valley were actually working on a plan to bring football back to the fold.

Drake is non-scholly and already in another football conference (the Pioneer), and 4 other MVC schools don't field teams (Bradley, Creighton, Evansville and Wichita St). Think though if the Valley offered football again, Wichita St. COULD be interested in resurrecting their program.

So that would be 3 top-notch I-AA schools in ISU, UNI and SIU plus MSU and IN. St. Now let's add the WSU Shockers, and expand with a couple of middling I-A programs that play in a not good Conference USA. I'm thinking of a couple former Valley members...Tulsa and Memphis. WOW! Can you imagine MVC basketball then? The Valley is riding high basketball-wise now, but bringing Tulsa and Memphis back in would ABSOULUTELY cement the conference in the upper tier of MAJOR ...i.e. no more "mid-major".

Also if you would look at the "new" MVC football conference, you'd have two already pretty decent I-A football programs (Tulsa and Memphis) plus 3 perenially strong/top 10 I-AA programs (ISU, UNI, SIU) and a WSU program with a good stadium and a built in fanbase. MSU and IN St. would be it an 8 team conference. ISU, UNI, and SIU already power rank AHEAD of many current I-A programs. Now look at the power ratings of all the schools in the new MVC, average them together and THAT already would put Valley football ahead of conferences like the Sunbelt, the MAC, Conference USA and possibly a couple more.

I know this all sounds crazy, but crazy things DO happen!! Who knows? :eek:

shakdaddy3
September 19th, 2006, 02:27 PM
birdsflyhigh - ISU is not a perenial top 10 I-AA team... before Berry and the last couple years ISU was perenially mediocre and inconsistent...

as for the MVC football conference: it would be great if it could be done, but i don't see it happening any time soon whatsoever...

birdsflyhigh
September 19th, 2006, 04:11 PM
shakdaddy3, I'll give you that ISU has not always been a perennial Top10 D-IAA power, but I don't see the Birds taking a tumble in the next couple of years. Don't you think that would be a pretty consistently good program?

Yes!, it would be AMAZING if the Valley could bring back football AND further strengthen b-ball by reeling in Tulsa and Memphis from the not-so-hot Conference USA, but the time frame would be 3 or 4 years away. Having 12 MVC b-ball schools would also really help with the trouble ALL the Valley schools have in scheduling OCC. The MVC would still be able to play a round robin conference schedule (22 games), and each school would have only 6 OCC games to schedule. If indeed the MVC does become that MAJOR player, then possibly the other MAJORS would play some one for ones with the Valley schools.

I know that even though Tulsa's b-ball program has had SOME sucess since leaving the Valley, their b-ball program HAS suffered. They have some rivals in the MVC and now it's a top rated conference. And the situation with Memphis in Conference USA basketwise is that it's the "big fish" and the rest of the conference is filled with also-rans. Travel costs for Memphis and Tulsa would also be better, and the "new" Valley football conference would be at-least as competitive as the current Conference USA. Also the Valley would be able to keep the balance of public and private universities with Tulsa (being private) and Memphis (being public).

IMO this is a WIN-WIN situation for ALL the schools involved. But once again, it's just food for thought. And Shakdaddy you're right that it could take a while for all this to happen, but you just NEVER know...;)

crunifan
September 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah, as harsh as it is, if we renamed it, we would need Wichita State and then kick out Youngstown and WIU. They are't anywhere near Valley hoops level.

But, I would love to see it happen in my lifetime. Please Wichita State...get football back!

FlyYtown
September 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM

First off its not going to happen.
Second off like I've been saying, we found a home in the Horizon League and have developed regional rivalries....

Our basketball team has a great new coach and in 1-2 years we SHOULD be a winning program.

birdsflyhigh
September 19th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Flytown, never say never. How do you KNOW that it couldn't happen? Man, I'm just throwing it out there. Good look with your new home in the Horizon league. :rolleyes:

P2TheB
September 19th, 2006, 05:18 PM
A couple things.

The Valley could still have Youngstown and Western Illinois and still be the MVC. UNI wrestles in a conference that isn't the MVC and still is considered a part of the MVC. Men's soccer is an MVC sport, but still has teams from outside the MVC that don't have conferences that sport men's soccer. For the Valley to pick up football (which the Gateway Conference is run out of the Valley offices), I believe that there would have to be at least 6 teams from the MVC (if other teams were in it) for there to be a name change. See this link: http://www.mvc-sports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7600&KEY=&SPID=2896&SPSID=36307 which shows 6 MVC teams + WKU for men's soccer.

If the MVC added Wichita State or Drake, with all the other teams remaining in the GFC, then there would be precedent for the MVC to take over with a football name. Would that grant the MVC more tv time? I don't know. FSN has national deals with the Big12 and Pac-10 that require their games to be on tv at certain times. It could get more games on ESPNU...maybe. And they might be able to swing a Thursday night game here and there for FSN/ESPNU/CSTV type television. However, it would be hard to see more tv games occuring regionally/nationally due to the MVC taking over the GFC. What could happen, is that 'MVC football' gets more advertisement and media coverage (not necessarily live games). You might see local stations picking up more games in Iowa if Drake picked up scholarship football (for UNI/Drake games). That would be beneficial. But otherwise, I don't know if more TV games would result from that with the current contracts the MVC has with FSN.

FlyYtown
September 19th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Flytown, never say never. How do you KNOW that it couldn't happen? Man, I'm just throwing it out there. Good look with your new home in the Horizon league. :rolleyes:

We have been in the Horizon League for like 5 years now. They just added NCAA Basketball Tourney Upset(er) VALPO to the league this year. When they used to play us in the Mid-Con; we'd sell out Beeghly Center.

Trust me on that, we aren't leaving the Horizon.. but I also don't think the Gateway is changing anything, moreso a partnership with the MVC.

birdsflyhigh
September 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Flytown, my bad, sorry about not recognizing YSU's membership in the Horizon for quite some time now.

p2TheB, you bring up a good point about YSU and WIU not necessarily having to be left out. The MVC does offer many sports where other conference members participate as associate MVC members.

The increased TV exposure thing I'm not so sure about. Remember, we're talking 3 or 4 years down the line here. How long are the B12 and Pac10 contracts? Even with the current Valley, it's RPI was right there with the B12 and Pac10, and two MVC we're in the Sweet 16 (Bradley and Wichita St.). Adding Tulsa (traditonally a good b-ball school) and Memphis (traditionally a VERY good program) will further enhance the Valley's TV attractiveness. Both Tulsa and Memphis are good sized markets, and the average college b-ball fan is drawn to MAJOR conference hoops when watching TV games. IMO adding Memphis and Tulsa to an already potent current Valley roster, should hoop-wise catapult the MVC past the Big12 (which has top to bottom been MUCH weaker the last few years) and the Pac 10 (which is top heavy and really drops off once you get past the top 4).

Check this out, you've got Memphis (enough said), SIU (four straight NCAA tourney appearances), Wichita St. (a recent Sweet 16 team and a rising program), UNI (3 straight appearances), Creighton (which is ranked in many of this preseason's top 10s and a perennial tourney team), Bradley (another recent Sweet sixteen and a program steeped in b-ball history), Tulsa (the Golden Hurricane could really whip again by re-joining the Valley) and Missouri State (played in the NIT the past couple of years, but oooooo-so close to making the Big Dance). Even the other Valley programs (Drake, Evansville, Illinois State and Indiana St.) are VERY competitive in the grand scheme of things. That is one heck of a b-ball conference!!!

I'll give it a rest, but man wouldn't it be sweet? :rotateh:

SO ILLmatic
September 19th, 2006, 06:44 PM
1) Wichita State's administration does not want football, the mayor of Wichita is the one pushing for Shocker football

2)Drake will not play Gateway football without giving scholarships out. The chance they will is doubtful at best.

3)Forget Tulsa, they left once to try and get themselves in a better position and look at where it got them. The Valley is not a revolving door. Tulsa can enjoy itself in C-USA.

4)Most probable for Gateway IMO: Conference name stays the same, WKU leaves after this year or next. Great West Con folds (The California & Southern Utah are added during Big Sky expansion and the Dakota schools are added to Gateway). The possibility for North Dakota and other midwest schools to join becomes a possibility in the future because of the possibility of some Gateway schools going to D-IA (YSU, Mizzou St, Ill St).

dbackjon
September 19th, 2006, 06:55 PM
4)Most probable for Gateway IMO: Conference name stays the same, WKU leaves after this year or next. Great West Con folds (The California & Southern Utah are added during Big Sky expansion and the Dakota schools are added to Gateway). The possibility for North Dakota and other midwest schools to join becomes a possibility in the future because of the possibility of some Gateway schools going to D-IA (YSU, Mizzou St, Ill St).

I love how easy it is for some to decide what other conferences are doing.....

UC-Davis and Cal-Poly are NOT joining the Big Sky - and highly unlikely SUU is either. UC-Davis and Cal-Poly are just as happy with all sports in (or soon to be) in the Big West.

Just as probable: WKU goes I-A, YSU goes I-A. WIU dumps the Gateway for Mid-Con football with xDSU, UND, SUU - with affiliates UCD and CP. Gateway folds because they only have 5 members........

MplsBison
September 19th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Agree dback about Poly and Davis. They aren't leaving the Big West for any I-AA conference.

SUU I could see going to the Big Sky, though. But that doesn't kill the Great West. UND and USD coming up brings us back to 6. WIU coming over would bring us to 7.

birdsflyhigh
September 19th, 2006, 08:10 PM
SO ILLmatic, Wichita St. has many wealthy alumni, a huge and rabid fan base, and a largre student body that I'm sure would absolutely LOVE to see football back in Shockerland. The "new" Valley was not contingent on WSU bringing back football anyway. It would just be a very welcome addition.

Drake plays non-scholly football in the Pioneer league. Never said anything about Drake having to switch to the Valley. Why would the Bulldogs have to change? Hmmm? I don't know where you were going with that.

Who says Tulsa couldn't come back into the Valley? There's no rule against it. Man, there would be a ton of MVC fans that would love to renew our old rivalries with the Golden Hurricane. Tulsa was a Valley member for many years, and I don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility that they'd be interested in rejoining.

And lastly, I'd have to agree with the other posters that I wouldn't be so quick to "write-off" some other conferences.

That's the cool thing about these boardsis that you have posters with completely different opinions (and everything in between). :)

SO ILLmatic
September 19th, 2006, 09:50 PM

UC-Davis and Cal-Poly are NOT joining the Big Sky - and highly unlikely SUU is either. UC-Davis and Cal-Poly are just as happy with all sports in (or soon to be) in the Big West.

Just as probable: WKU goes I-A, YSU goes I-A. WIU dumps the Gateway for Mid-Con football with xDSU, UND, SUU - with affiliates UCD and CP. Gateway folds because they only have 5 members........

Aren't you doing exactly the same???

SO ILLmatic
September 19th, 2006, 10:04 PM

Are you or are you not doing the exact same thing? I said the California schools and South Utah to the Big Sky because of the logical idea of their location. The Dakotas are closer to the base of the Gateway than the other Great West schools.

SO ILLmatic, Wichita St. has many wealthy alumni, a huge and rabid fan base, and a largre student body that I'm sure would absolutely LOVE to see football back in Shockerland. The "new" Valley was not contingent on WSU bringing back football anyway. It would just be a very welcome addition.

Drake plays non-scholly football in the Pioneer league. Never said anything about Drake having to switch to the Valley. Why would the Bulldogs have to change? Hmmm? I don't know where you were going with that.

Who says Tulsa couldn't come back into the Valley? There's no rule against it. Man, there would be a ton of MVC fans that would love to renew our old rivalries with the Golden Hurricane. Tulsa was a Valley member for many years, and I don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility that they'd be interested in rejoining.

By posters stating a name change to the Valley from the Gateway, thats implying that the participating schools would also be Valley members in other sports. What sense would the name change make if Drake was still playing the the Pioneer?

And Wichita may get football in the future, but in the relatively close future - no. The bosters and alumni are not going to be able to persuade the current administration to start football by the end of the decade. And its not like the team can just be up and running over night, it takes a little bit of time.

Where are the Valley fans that would enjoy having Tulsa back in the league? All the fans I've heard from enjoy the members as they are now. The only teams I could see pushing for them is Wichita and Creighton, because of the distance to them. But what advantages does a Tulsa team bring? They havent been competitive in a while. C-USA wouldnt let them leave for one sport anyway. The Valley would have to approve and mandate their teams to play I-A football for a Tulsa comeback to be an option.

But why argue over the name of the conference anyway? Isnt there more important things to talk about? I could be wrong but I always find the games and teams to be more interesting to talk about than titles.

BisonBacker
September 19th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Your not serious about that are you? I could see WKU going IA but if that happens the Gateway will be looking and I could see NDSU and SDSU as being strong candidates for the Gateway. I think if anything the league that will fold will be the GWFC unless USD makes the move with the whioux and then it remains at 5.

birdsflyhigh
September 19th, 2006, 11:11 PM
SO ILLmatic, we're going to have to disagree on about every point. Not sure how many fans you've talked to, but I've been a Valley fan for 30 years, and there ARE many many current fans that would LOVE to re-heat their rivalries with Tulsa.

Also, I still don't know what your big kick is on the Valley forcing Drake to play scholarship football in the MVC. The Valley has many associate schools that play different sports because their conference doesn't offer it. Goes both ways...if the Pioneer league is offering non-scholly football for Drake, then that's where they will be playing their football, but they would STILL have all their other sports under the MVC umbrella. Tulsa DOES have a good basketball program and would help the MVC's RPI reach even greater heights. Please go back and read more about the idea of bringing both Memphis and Tulsa aboard for ALL sports.

University of Central Florida started their football program up within the last four years, and they've done pretty alright for themselves. Wichita St. could do the very same thing. The original idea of getting football back in the Valley was that ... it IS going to take 3 or 4 years.

SO ILLmatic, many of your arguements don't hold water for me, but then this is all just conjecture anyway. Good luck on what should be a great season for SIU basketball! :thumbsup:

MiloCat
September 19th, 2006, 11:22 PM
SO ILLmatic, we're going to have to disagree on about every point. Not sure how many fans you've talked to, but I've been a Valley fan for 30 years, and there ARE many many current fans that would LOVE to re-heat their rivalries with Tulsa.

Also, I still don't know what your big kick is on the Valley forcing Drake to play scholarship football in the MVC. The Valley has many associate schools that play different sports because their conference doesn't offer it. Goes both ways...if the Pioneer league is offering non-scholly football for Drake, then that's where they will be playing their football, but they would STILL have all their other sports under the MVC umbrella. Tulsa DOES have a good basketball program and would help the MVC's RPI reach even greater heights. Please go back and read more about the idea of bringing both Memphis and Tulsa aboard for ALL sports.

University of Central Florida started their football program up within the last four years, and they've done pretty alright for themselves. Wichita St. could do the very same thing. The original idea of getting football back in the Valley was that ... it IS going to take 3 or 4 years.

SO ILLmatic, many of your arguements don't hold water for me, but then this is all just conjecture anyway. Good luck on what should be a great season for SIU basketball! :thumbsup:

Isn't that where Culpepper went. If it is, that was more than four years ago.

birdsflyhigh
September 19th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Milocat, I could be getting C. Florida mixed up with Florida Atlantic. :confused:

SO ILLmatic
September 20th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Birdsflyhigh,
I know that the Valley sponsors both the Gateway and the Pioneer. The name is a title in itself, thats all it is. I am not saying the Patti V. would call up the Drake officials tomorrow and say "You have to give your football players scholarships and play football with the schools you normally play basketball with becuase we want to change the conference name." Im saying the Gateway title directly changing into the Valley title does not accurately portray the teams. Becuase teams that currently play in the Gateway for football dont play other Valley sports and the usual Valley teams arent members of the Gateway (Drake, Wichita, etc...).

Also, Central Florida has had football for a while (as mentioned above). You may be confused by them changing conferences in I-A from the MAC to the C-USA or mistaken them for Florida Atlantic / International. Both of these teams have young programs are started out in D-IAA.

And Tulsa should have hung with the conference when they were with it. Now they are just an average team that nobody really hears about. Unless it is when they lose to Lamar, Eastern Michigan, or North Texas like they did last year. If the conference was to expand it would benefit more from adding a team like Western Kentucky, instead of a Golden Hurricane team that would be playing the first night of the conference tournament at the Savvis Center.

SO ILLmatic
September 20th, 2006, 12:20 AM
One more thing to post about this then im through. I want to hear a general consensus from the NDSU fans. Its known that the Bison are going to join the MidCon as their primary conference. However, I just want to hear how the fans feel about certain opportunities that NDSU could be offered.

All the scenarios start by WKU leaving the Gateway, since this seems like it is going to be happening. Then NDSU would:

1)Stay in Great West and wait for North Dakota. Keep current members, the teams continue to play the way they currently are, and try to earn an Auto-Bid for the Great West.

2)Same as the first scenario, but try to make West IL join with current Great West teams to form a Mid-Con football league. Try to get this league an autobid.

3)Once WKU leaves, NDSU & SDSU are approached to possibly join the Gateway. The auto-bid is already set, however the teams are leaving a conference they helped form and they have no Mid-Con affliation when it comes to football.

I can personally see the two State Dakota schools being asked in the future, but would the fans want this to happen? I think the teams would bring some good competition and provide a bright future for Gateway football.

birdsflyhigh
September 20th, 2006, 12:30 AM
SO ILLmatic, the Valley does NOT sponsor the Pioneer league. Don't know where you came up with that one. Hmmm? And your ramblings about the name change of the Gateway to the MVC became kind of imcomprehensible as I read along. It's not "just" a name change. It's about the Valley becoming a full-fledged conference by offering football again.

Yes, it's either Florida Atlantic or Florida International that I was referencing....NOT C. Florida...my bad. Man, how DI football schools are there now in FL? Alot!

The Tulsa Golden Hurricane DID have a bad year last year, but have been in the Big Dance in the past three years. And, if you do a little research, over the past 10 years, Tulsa's RPI would consistently rank in the top 80 or so. I'd say that's a pretty good program, and think many college b-ball junkies would agree with me on that one.

WKU has a very good program also, but Tulsa is a good sized market, and like I stated earlier many of the current Valley members have a past rivalry with the Golden Hurricane. And Tulsa is already an established DI-A program.

SO ILLmatic, who do you think's going to win the Valley's b-ball crown this year? Do you like the Salukis chances? :)

FargoBison
September 20th, 2006, 12:49 AM
One more thing to post about this then im through. I want to hear a general consensus from the NDSU fans. Its known that the Bison are going to join the MidCon as their primary conference. However, I just want to hear how the fans feel about certain opportunities that NDSU could be offered.

All the scenarios start by WKU leaving the Gateway, since this seems like it is going to be happening. Then NDSU would:

1)Stay in Great West and wait for North Dakota. Keep current members, the teams continue to play the way they currently are, and try to earn an Auto-Bid for the Great West.

2)Same as the first scenario, but try to make West IL join with current Great West teams to form a Mid-Con football league. Try to get this league an autobid.

3)Once WKU leaves, NDSU & SDSU are approached to possibly join the Gateway. The auto-bid is already set, however the teams are leaving a conference they helped form and they have no Mid-Con affliation when it comes to football.

I can personally see the two State Dakota schools being asked in the future, but would the fans want this to happen? I think the teams would bring some good competition and provide a bright future for Gateway football.

3, would be the choice for most Bison fans and probably more importantly coach Bohl. The Great West is a great conference but the Gateway would provide NDSU with not only an auto-bid conference but also some regional competition. If NDSU got asked to join the Gateway the school would accept in a second, IMO.

SO ILLmatic
September 20th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Birdsflyhigh,
Couldnt find past results on Tulsa, but Ill admit they have had good seasons in the past. Last year I dont think they would have challenged very many teams in the Valley. I just dont like the idea of a team wanting to leave to try & better their position and then the conference has to ask them if they want to rejoin.
But this is a football board, so skip the b-ball talk for now.

The Valley does sponsor the Pioneer League and both conferences have the same comissioner. From the Pioneer League's website:
"The PFL began play in 1993 with Dayton winning the league’s first crown. The league spent its first season in 1993 under the administrative guidance of the Midwestern Collegiate Conference, and the office moved to St. Louis in 1994 when current commissioner Patty Viverito was named the PFL commissioner, a leadership position she continues to fill."
Patti V. is the Gateway's commissioner as well and see that the offices are located where the Valley offices are located.

I understand you are trying to get your point across about a full-fledged Valley conference, I just dont think you are understanding me when I say that the current Valley schools do not exclusively participate in the Valley and that would be needed for a full-fledged Valley conference.

P.S.:I expect the Saluki b-ball team to be better than last year. We got everybody back and a couple of new recruits. We just need an offense to go with our great defense. Creighton should be tough, but Im expecting the Salukis to be the in preseason top 25. But Saluki football is still going on and I have 9 games (hopefully more) to look forward to.

douglasdmb
September 20th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Tulsa wouldn't even be my pick out of that city to join the Valley. I'd like to see Oral Roberts come on board, personally. Great basketball, baseball, and a strong fan base. :thumbsup:

That only further eliminates talks of football in the MVC, though.

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by SO ILLmatic

3, would be the choice for most Bison fans and probably more importantly coach Bohl. The Great West is a great conference but the Gateway would provide NDSU with not only an auto-bid conference but also some regional competition. If NDSU got asked to join the Gateway the school would accept in a second, IMO.

I believe the Jacks would be for this also. IMHO, Gateway is the "natural" conference for the Bison and Jacks. We've played several of the teams in the past, and they're all "comparable" schools. Great West is great, and would like to continue that also, but the distances and directions support more a mid-Con direction.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM
If NDSU got asked to join the Gateway the school would accept in a second, IMO.

This is correct.

The administration wants to get NDSU into an AQ football conference ASAP.

The thing is this: are we all so certain that the Gateway is going to ask NDSU to join?

Obviously there is the UNI connection. But after that, it seems like a stretch.

The Gateway will still have 8 members.

IMO, they won't be springing into action to add someone to get back to 9 or to get to 10. I think they'll wait around to see what else happens. If someone else leaves (YSU, MSU?) then their hand might be forced. But I think they might go after a school like EIU.

EIU could then be in the Gateway and in the Mid Con.

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2006, 09:40 AM
I liked the "expansion of the gateway" thread better. MVC football is a long ways off, if ever. Expansion of the Gateway could happen in the next year or two.

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2006, 10:13 AM
If scenario number 3 were open to NDSU and SDSU they would accept that invite in a second. The fans would also be in favor of it. We enjoy the games with UCDavis and Cal Poly but after that there's nothing there. The AQ is the big carrot as well not to mention the quality of the teams in the Gateway. Where do we sign up?

Jacks99
September 20th, 2006, 11:37 AM
The autobid is huge, but also the fact that the Great west is very young and only 5 members small. I agree that SDSU and NDSU would not hesitate in joining the Gateway.

NDSU_grad
September 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM
With those 3 options, it's a no-brainer. Definitely #3.

dbackjon
September 20th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Your not serious about that are you? I could see WKU going IA but if that happens the Gateway will be looking and I could see NDSU and SDSU as being strong candidates for the Gateway. I think if anything the league that will fold will be the GWFC unless USD makes the move with the whioux and then it remains at 5.

Not really - just throwing out a scenario that is just as likely as the one SoIllmatic proposed.

Go Bison
September 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM
The Gateway would be a dream come true. Ask any of the Great West teams how hard it is to get home games scheduled. In the Great West you only have two home conference games a year. A couple more guaranteed home games would be huge.

BearsCountry
September 20th, 2006, 12:58 PM
EIU is not coming back to the Gateway.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2006, 01:42 PM

If MSU leaves, their hand might be forced.

And if they did leave, you wouldn't care anyway.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Expansion of the Gateway could happen in the next year or two.

Why is everyone so sure of this?

Is there a rule somewhere that says if a conference loses a member it must react immediately by expanding?

FargoBison
September 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Is there a rule somewhere that says if a conference loses a member it must react immediately by expanding?

They would be down to 7 members, which isn't good for scheduling. Each team would need to find 5 non-conference games and probably 3 home games. If you add 2 teams(NDSU and SDSU) the Gateway would be at 9 which is also known as the perfect football number(4 home games and 4 road games) and scheduling would be much easier.

I-AA Fan
September 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Agreed. They left the GFC to find an all-sports home ... how would coming back accomplish anything? Also, they are an OVC dynasty in football ...could take years to accomplish the same in the Gateway.

BearsCountry
September 20th, 2006, 03:19 PM
If MSU leaves, their hand might be forced.

And if they did leave, you wouldn't care anyway.

EIU is not coming back to the Gateway you can pretty much mark it down. Where would EIU put their other sports, it wont be the MVC and they are not going back to the Mid-Con.

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2006, 03:35 PM
The Gateway would be a dream come true. Ask any of the Great West teams how hard it is to get home games scheduled. In the Great West you only have two home conference games a year. A couple more guaranteed home games would be huge.

:eek: :eek: You got 2 Home Games!!! Lucky Bison! Jacks are in a 3-1 schedule (this REALLY NEEDS to be fixed!! :nono: ) So only 1 GWFC home game this year. :bawling:

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Gateway has mentioned it. WKU is talking about leaving. Put the 2 together and you get dream threads like this.

BearsCountry
September 20th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Gateway has mentioned it. WKU is talking about leaving. Put the 2 together and you get dream threads like this.

I'm pretty sure he just wants to see the Great West Conference stay together.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2006, 07:50 PM
EIU is not coming back to the Gateway you can pretty much mark it down. Where would EIU put their other sports, it wont be the MVC and they are not going back to the Mid-Con.

You're talking about the old Mid Con.

The future Mid Con is very different and has a very bright future. They'd be a great travel partner for WIU.

NDSU UND
SDSU USD
WIU EIU
IUPUI IPFW
UMKC SUU

That's a pretty good league right there with 7 of the 10 playing football in the Great West along with Davis and Poly.

MplsBison
September 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM

You're right.

I want the GW to get an AQ of their own.

But I know if NDSU was invited to the Gateway it would be stupid not to go.

BisonBacker
September 21st, 2006, 12:21 PM
Your right, he's been on the und bandwagon for a long time now. Don't get why but I hope to see NDSU and SDSU in the Gateway, he can cheer on und and usd if they even make the move and if they can do it in time to save the GWFC otherwise the GWFC is on life support with only 5 members right now. As far as an AQ for the GWFC I don't see it happening. What conference would they take away the AQ from to give it to the GWFC? Just isn't going to happen.xcoffeex

siugrad99
September 21st, 2006, 09:42 PM
EIU & YSU would hurt our RPI for basketball :)

SIUallDay
April 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM
that would be sweet to have the MVC sponsor football......now all that has to happen is to kick out the dakota schools, ysu, wiu, and hope the shockers, creighton and evansville awake from the dead and drake move up to 1AA....how long could all the possibly take???

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM
that would be sweet to have the MVC sponsor football......now all that has to happen is to kick out the dakota schools, ysu, wiu, and hope the shockers, creighton and evansville awake from the dead and drake move up to 1AA....how long could all the possibly take???

Drake already plays FCS (formerly I-AA) football...

SIUallDay
April 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM
oh thats right I forgot they play in the PIONEER LEAGUE which I think is for NON-SCHOLARSHIP teams ....so they are at the bottom of 1AA....that would still be nice though

MplsBison
April 20th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Creighton would have to revive football and Drake would have to upgrade.

Can't happen unless title IX is altered to exclude football.

Then, perhaps it could.

Fresno St. Alum
April 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I think it should be called the MVC

BearsCountry
April 20th, 2007, 11:33 PM

We could just add the 2 Dakota schools to the conference.

Mr. C
April 20th, 2007, 11:52 PM
In reality, the Gateway and the MVC are really the same animal already. The staff works in the same office in St. Louis and in many cases, people who work for the Gateway, also work for the MVC.

Fresno St. Alum
April 21st, 2007, 03:00 PM
so why not change the name it they are in the same office anyway?

MplsBison
April 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM
How did MVC football end and how did Gateway football start?

Their must've been a reason that when the Gateway was formed they choose not to call it the MVC.

Fresno St. Alum
April 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM
too many schools that are not in the MVC for all other sports would be my guess for the change

appfan2008
April 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM
same offices seem like a no brainer... especially being that most of the teams are the same as well

Model Citizen
April 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
How did MVC football end and how did Gateway football start?

Their must've been a reason that when the Gateway was formed they choose not to call it the MVC.

The Gateway started as a women's sports conference. It took on football later.

In fact, the Gateway and MVC were separate football conferences in 1985. That's probably the best reason why the Gateway wasn't called the MVC. There are laws against that sort of thing.

It would actually make more sense to rename Conference USA as the "Southwest Conference." Both were I-A.

Bottom line: Gateway football will keep its name.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Sure, but if all of the Gateway's current members join a new MVC conferece?